PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32

ejdallas322
01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
We need to go after Nick Starkel. Pretty dang solid quarterback with a cannon.

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Damn sure can't hurt if their buddies!

They are

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2019, 09:00 PM
What is the story with Heath?

Supposed to be signing with us next go round

Lance Harbor
01-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Thanks. Saw he was decommitted and didn't have much of a season at Co-Lin.

Supposed to be signing with us next go round

msstate7
01-22-2019, 09:07 PM
We need to go after Nick Starkel. Pretty dang solid quarterback with a cannon.

Might not be such a bad idea. I'm assuming he'd have to sit a year though

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Might not be such a bad idea. I'm assuming he'd have to sit a year though

We've already seen him against the SEC. Unless we move conferences Im passing

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Thanks. Saw he was recommitted and didn't have much of a season at Co-Lin.

He had a solid season at Co-Lin. Made All State. Had 4-5 TD's & a couple more called back.

Freshman Highlights

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5117067/5be5d69ce97a340d50389099

msstate7
01-22-2019, 09:20 PM
We've already seen him against the SEC. Unless we move conferences Im passing

150.16 passer rating in 2017

147.71 passer rating this year. This season was a really SSS though

He got beat out by a guy I think will be one of the best in the sec next season. Starkel is only a plus though if he can play next season

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2019, 10:15 PM
150.16 passer rating in 2017

147.71 passer rating this year. This season was a really SSS though

He got beat out by a guy I think will be one of the best in the sec next season. Starkel is only a plus though if he can play next season

You can talk about passer ratings all you want too but we've seen him play. He aint better than what we have currently

KOdawg1
01-22-2019, 10:34 PM
I have a feeling you may be shocked on signing day

If you had to put a % on us getting Mingo right now, what would it be?

I'd feel a lot better if he wasn't visiting OM this weekend. They'll pull out all the stop$ to keep him. I also wouldn't be surprised if they offer Rogers just to take some of our momentum away.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 11:00 PM

I'd feel a lot better if he wasn't visiting OM this weekend. They'll pull out all the stop$ to keep him. I also wouldn't be surprised if they offer Rogers just to take some of our momentum away.

The problem with offering Rogers now is it screams desperation. They may not care but with a school who's built on perception I think it would. You've been by his school twice this month including today & didn't offer but as soon as he commits to MSU an offer magically appears.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2019, 11:10 PM
The problem with offering Rogers now is it screams desperation. They may not care but with a school who's built on perception I think it would. You've been by his school twice this month including today & didn't offer but as soon as he commits to MSU an offer magically appears.

Yep. Right on!

Irondawg
01-23-2019, 01:05 AM
I think they do it anyway - no different than they did with Rawlings. It's all part of the game.

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 03:07 AM

OM is very concerned about losing him I will leave it at that. I'd put it worst case 50-50 we are coming on strong

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 03:08 AM

They wont do that. It wont help them they do it, neither one of those kids are dumb and neither are their families

msbulldog
01-23-2019, 07:12 AM

Be really funny if they offer and he announces it on twitter and says NO THANKS!

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Is it worth offering a QB that doesn't fit your offense in an effort to keep a low 4 star WR?

That would be Matt Millen level GMing right there IMO

msstate7
01-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Is it worth offering a QB that doesn't fit your offense in an effort to keep a low 4 star WR?

Not like they'd have to keep em. Rogers can't sign till December

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 08:33 AM
RR won’t be there in 2 years anyway . Unless he is the head coach..

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Not like they'd have to keep em. Rogers can't sign till December

good point

Scared_Hitless
01-23-2019, 10:19 AM
How big of a talent is Will Rogers? I know ratings are not a tell all but what do we imagine him to be once rated?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-23-2019, 10:33 AM
How big of a talent is Will Rogers? I know ratings are not a tell all but what do we imagine him to be once rated?

I would guess a mid to high 3 star. 85-87 range

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
How much of a player for young is LSU?

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
They’re a player.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Ark has 10 composite 4-star or better commits/signees this year. 247 goes back to 2000, and we haven't had that many 1 time. I wouldn't count on ark being an easy win for much longer. Now they also have 17 3-stars too so it isn't like their getting all elites. Still, 10 4-stars is pretty impressive for a team after a garbage season

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Dave Aranda was at West Jones today. It's gonna come down to us and lsu for Byron. We are in good shape with Byron.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Dave Aranda was at West Jones today. It's gonna come down to us and lsu for Byron. We are in good shape with Byron.

Wasn't there a lot of talk that he wants to go OOS? Was that true?

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Wasn't there a lot of talk that he wants to go OOS? Was that true?

Yes that was true. He has been worked on though. If we get Byron, Pickering(among others but especially Nathan) has been a huge, huge help for us in that regard.

tcdog70
01-23-2019, 11:31 AM
He had a solid season at Co-Lin. Made All State. Had 4-5 TD's & a couple more called back.

Freshman Highlights

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5117067/5be5d69ce97a340d50389099

you loving him like you did Guidry?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Wait I thought Guidry was gonna blow up and enter draft this year???? At least that is what we were told to look for.

WPS
01-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Ark has 10 composite 4-star or better commits/signees this year. 247 goes back to 2000, and we haven't had that many 1 time. I wouldn't count on ark being an easy win for much longer. Now they also have 17 3-stars too so it isn't like their getting all elites. Still, 10 4-stars is pretty impressive for a team after a garbage season

Probably still going to suck this year but 2020 will be a make or break year for Morris

Ifyouonlyknew
01-23-2019, 12:13 PM
you loving him like you did Guidry?

I ain't ready to throw Guidry away like others. I think he's going to have a good year. He had the typical ups & downs of a normal juco who wasn't coming from a P5 school. He showed flashes of being really good. I expect there to be a lot more of those next season.

sandwolf
01-23-2019, 12:16 PM

This hasn't ever stopped them before. It used to be a running joke that they would just let Mullen evaluate the guys that weren't as high profile and they would just offer who we offered. They have no shame when it comes to recruiting.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 12:20 PM
I ain't ready to throw Guidry away like others. I think he's going to have a good year. He had the typical ups & downs of a normal juco who wasn't coming from a P5 school. He showed flashes of being really good. I expect there to be a lot more of those next season.

I liked what I saw of him in flashes myself. I expect a much better senior year

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 12:24 PM

He definitely has the tools. Size, speed, agility, now he just has to turn that into realized potential.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Hasn't he said he grew up a LSU fan?

HancockCountyDog
01-23-2019, 01:12 PM

I agree

msbulldog
01-23-2019, 01:12 PM
This hasn't ever stopped them before. It used to be a running joke that they would just let Mullen evaluate the guys that weren't as high profile and they would just offer who we offered. They have no shame when it comes to recruiting.

Hell according to their 247 recruiting board their still doing it.

msu15
01-23-2019, 01:17 PM
He definitely has the tools. Size, speed, agility, now he just has to turn that into realized potential.

He'll also have a better QB to get him the ball

Dawgology
01-23-2019, 01:23 PM
At this point I have just accepted that anyone not already signed with us that is a high-profile/elite recruit will not be signing with us. They will go OOS or for some unexplicable reason sign with Ole Miss. This way I won't be upset on signing day and I may be pleasantly surprised.

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Hasn't he said he grew up a LSU fan?

There are some negatives involved with LSU. Pickering was big on them too at one time.

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 01:51 PM
There are some negatives involved with LSU. Pickering was big on them too at one time.

100% truth.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Looks like we aren't chasing Charles Moore.

So we are just going to gift Auburn a 96 rated recruit in our backyard?

I mean, WTF is going on here? How does it ever get to this point?

Is there a 96 rated player near Auburn that we can swap with?

Dawgology
01-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Hail State? I've never really seen anything like it but it happens very often here. Other universities typically have their immediate vicinity locked down. Not so here. I've never really understood it.

Scared_Hitless
01-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze. Moorhead and staff probably got fed up with the games from Moore. He may turn out to be a star, but I doubt it. Lost interest in that forever ago.

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 02:53 PM

There is a lot that is involved in this deal. And, no i'm not even referring to $.

ShotgunDawg
Sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze. Moorhead and staff probably got fed up with the games from Moore. He may turn out to be a star, but I doubt it. Lost interest in that forever ago.

So, again, we are just going to gift a rival program a 96 rated recruit?

Why is Auburn willing to squeeze it but we aren't?

dawgday166

Ravien Pierce part deux.

ShotgunDawg
There is a lot that is involved in this deal. And, no i'm not even referring to $.

So we are just going to gift Auburn a 96 rated recruit?

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Ravien Pierce part deux.

I'm not following

dawgday166
01-23-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm not following

Like Ravien Pierce ... a lot of drama and on again/off again stuff. Probably won't do much in college if I had to guess ... regardless of talent. Or maybe we just ain't the right fit for him.

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 03:00 PM

some things are just better left unsaid, at this point. If I said what i knew, it wouldn't help one thing one way or the other. I'll gladly tell it after he signs, whether it's with us or not. And I'd so or not is the likely option.

Really Clark?
01-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Shotgun...I know you are passionate about this one but it?s not gifting him Auburn. There is a reason Tenn pulled the plug on recruiting him. There are reasons and issues that teams are pulling back on his recruitment. It?s not gifting him to someone else as much as not expending effort with recruiting games and having buyers remorse in the end. Sometimes it?s best to just to expend energy and time on other recruits. If HE wants us to be serious (after sticking with him for a long time, after injury and poor senior year) he needs to show up on a visit and things need to straighten out. It’s his recruitment and he needs to take better control

Coursesuper
01-23-2019, 03:43 PM
some things are just better left unsaid, at this point. If I said what i knew, it wouldn't help one thing one way or the other. I'll gladly tell it after he signs, whether it's with us or not. And I'd so or not is the likely option.

Sounds like we have heard the same story on this one. Better just pass here.

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 03:45 PM

It?s on Moore. We did what we could. Let?s see how it turns out. I feel like I know where it?s headed with all three of the MS kids. All three had issues surrounding them.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 03:47 PM
It?s on Moore. We did what we could. Let?s see how it turns out. I feel like I know where it?s headed with all three of the MS kids. All three had issues surrounding them.

What 3?

tcdog70
01-23-2019, 03:50 PM
He'll also have a better QB to get him the ball

that is speculation--you don't know that for sure--QB might be worse. The ones we have now couldn't beat Fitz out. You think a Freshman is going to come in and be better?

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 03:51 PM

All 3 as in Moore, Handy, and Hall?

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 03:51 PM
What 3?

Handy, Hall, & Moore

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Handy, Hall, & Moore

Agree they all have issues, but you've still got to take that chance if you are to have even a little bit of hope in competing for the West.

They're risky, but I don't see just as talented replacements

MetEdDawg
01-23-2019, 04:01 PM
As someone looking in that doesn't have any ties to our recruiting, it's very rare that we have a kid that is committed to us that eventually decommits for a "better" school and is successful.

Additionally, most anyone that ends up with character issues is a bust. A lot of folks said we needed to stay away from Deon Mix. That one worked out really well for us in the end. And if you happen to notice, Auburn is all about those types of kids. That's not an accident and it's definitely had an impact on their team culture. I know that from a lot of Auburn folks on the inside b

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Agree they all have issues, but you've still got to take that chance if you are to have even a little bit of hope in competing for the West.

We did risk it with two of the three. They chose to play games and go elsewhere. And if you don’t think Young is better than all three, then I can’t help you. Hell, Lockhart is better than two of them.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 04:12 PM
We did risk it with two of the three. They chose to play games and go elsewhere. And if you don’t think Young is better than all three, then I can’t help you. Hell, Lockhart is better than two of them.

Holy hell, where did I say that Young wasn't better?

At least stay on topic

msstate7
01-23-2019, 04:16 PM

At least stay on topic

Yeah, didn't understand that comment. Cross is better than sharp... still want sharp too though

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 04:21 PM

At least stay on topic

You said you didn’t see talented replacements. You’re blind I have to assume.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 04:26 PM
You said you didn’t see talented replacements. You’re blind I have to assume.

Young isn't a replacement. He's "in addition to".

We won't even sign a full 25. Think about it.

Coursesuper
01-23-2019, 04:27 PM
All 3 as in Moore, Handy, and Hall?

As I’ve said before, we aren’t missing out on Hall. He is a camp phenom that blew up in the summer, there’s just the little problem that he’s not a football player. He was the absolute softest kid I watched closely all fall. Like a coach at Gulfport said, “ he’s a bright kid, he’s going to make someone a good engineer someday”.

Irondawg
01-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Shotgun you sign too many talented but risky kids and you end with a team like what Jackie had at the end or have to fight some of the issues our basketball team is having.

It’s kids like Dak that drive a team like MSU up a level. You can manage a couple of difficult kids but you have to mindful of the ratio in your locker room.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Shotgun you sign too many talented but risky kids and you end with a team like what Jackie had at the end or have to fight some of the issues our basketball team is having.

It’s kids like Dak that drive a team like MSU up a level. You can manage a couple of difficult kids but you have to mindful of the ratio in your locker room.

You sign too many 3 stars and you can't beat Bama

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Young isn't a replacement. He's "in addition to".

We won't even sign a full 25. Think about it.

No, we weren’t even in the game with him before signing day. We lost Moore about the same time. But you keep splitting hairs so you can bitch. Give me Young and Lockhart over those three guy. If Moore decides to come back, then great we add him. If he doesn’t, we good.

Cooterpoot
01-23-2019, 05:24 PM
I’m far more concerned with our DB class than our DL class.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 05:33 PM
No, we weren’t even in the game with him before signing day. We lost Moore about the same time. But you keep splitting hairs so you can bitch. Give me Young and Lockhart over those three guy. If Moore decides to come back, then great we add him. If he doesn’t, we good.

So we getting young?

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 05:52 PM
So we getting young?

Exactly

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 06:15 PM

Any word on Emerson? He's still committed.

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Yeah. Glad someone else has eyes. We are going to be naked there in 2 years. Bad

Hambone
01-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Shotgun should change his name from Shotgun to Get Off My Lawn.

Moorhead right now is poised to sign one one of the higher ranked classes WITHOUT signing a full 25. Let that sink in. If things fall our way (like they possibly could) it will be one of the top ever. I’ve been negative in this recruiting cycle but goodness alive I feel like a sunshine pumper next to you.

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Any word on Emerson? He's still committed.

In word only.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-23-2019, 06:20 PM
I feel pretty good in Collin Duncan replacing Emerson. We need Adonis Otey or another CB to replace DJ.

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 06:24 PM
I feel pretty good in Collin Duncan replacing Emerson. We need Adonis Otey or another CB to replace DJ.

While that's fine, we had options a,b,c. Now we might be getting d, and e. And that's after a terrible Cb class last year and a one man class the year before basically. Thin is being kind. Now I'll say the previous two were on Mullen.
Next year we will have to go juco big time back there.

MetEdDawg
01-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Otey lists some great offers. I'm guessing some of them aren't commitable? Or he's a grade risk? He lists a Bama, USC, Auburn, Florida, and FSU offer among many others.

Really Clark?
01-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Otey lists some great offers. I'm guessing some of them aren't commitable? Or he's a grade risk? He lists a Bama, USC, Auburn, Florida, and FSU offer among many others.

USC is actually going after him as well. He will OV there as well

bulldawg28
01-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Clemson just signed (14) 3* players . I bet they'll beat Bama again.

RezDog7
01-23-2019, 06:44 PM

Nobody not named Clemson or maybe Georgia is beating Bama. You're bitching just to butch now.

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 06:44 PM

''Low 4 star'' hahahaha we havent had a WR like this since Eric Moulds you are way off

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Smartest and best pure passer we have had since Tyler Russell.

dawgday166
01-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Nobody not named Clemson or maybe Georgia is beating Bama. You're bitching just to butch now.

He forgot to take his Xanax today. He does that quite often ***

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 06:50 PM

You bring them in and get in NCAA trouble or they start a cancer in your locker room that you have to surgically remove. Lot easier to say it than do it. Those ratings on 247 has never won anyone a game. Relax. Or go and see the kids and evaluate them yourself

Coursesuper
01-23-2019, 06:55 PM
You bring them in and get in NCAA trouble or they start a cancer in your locker room that you have to surgically remove. Lot easier to say it than do it. Those ratings on 247 has never won anyone a game. Relax. Or go and see the kids and evaluate them yourself

This is truth!!!

msstate7
01-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Shotgun should change his name from Shotgun to Get Off My Lawn.

Moorhead right now is poised to sign one one of the higher ranked classes WITHOUT signing a full 25. Let that sink in. If things fall our way (like they possibly could) it will be one of the top ever. I’ve been negative in this recruiting cycle but goodness alive I feel like a sunshine pumper next to you.

We're 10th in the sec now... that isn't any better among our peers than recently. Why aren't we signing a full class?

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Also Name the last time we signed a big time CB prospect out of high school...
Redmond.. who else...??
Agree it’s for sure the position we really need to upgrade.. but it’s not like we had been killng it in years past with big time CB prospects
Shoop is the biggest get for the DBs we have gotten in years. He did wonders this year with our backend.
Get those Juco CBs is the immediate solution

msstate7
01-23-2019, 07:02 PM
''Low 4 star'' hahahaha we havent had a WR like this since Eric Moulds you are way off

If mingo isn't a top 10 nfl draft pick in 3 years, you've severely over sold him. After hearing the same descriptions last year (different posters) about whop, I'm gonna have to see it to believe it. Fingers crossed, I'll see it at Scott field

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 07:04 PM
We're 10th in the sec now... that isn't any better among our peers than recently. Why aren't we signing a full class?

So we can hear you bitch..

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 07:18 PM
Redmond.. who else...??
Agree it?s for sure the position we really need to upgrade.. but it?s not like we had been killng it in years past with big time CB prospects
Shoop is the biggest get for the DBs we have gotten in years. He did wonders this year with our backend.

Jarrian Jones? Although I think he should play WR

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 07:19 PM
If mingo isn't a top 10 nfl draft pick in 3 years, you've severely over sold him. After hearing the same descriptions last year (different posters) about whop, I'm gonna have to see it to believe it. Fingers crossed, I'll see it at Scott field

Thats pretty high expectations but thats fine. He will be the best WR we have had in a long time barring injury.

dawgday166
01-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Redmond.. who else...??
Agree it?s for sure the position we really need to upgrade.. but it?s not like we had been killng it in years past with big time CB prospects

No doubt about it on Shoop. I think Piroli may have had something to do with that too. We looked as fast and physical as I believe we ever had on the 2-deep in the backend.

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 07:22 PM
In word only.

Appreciate the update. Wish we could get him.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Thats pretty high expectations but thats fine. He will be the best WR we have had in a long time barring injury.

I'm just playing. You've saw him play and obviously like him. Good enough for me... I want em

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 07:26 PM
And while we are lack of depth and recruiting at certain spots
I am just as worried about RB
Its an absolute travesty how Bad Mullen and Knox and Hevesy recruited RBs
I know we got Hill and Aries
But do a background check since say 2011 on the RB we signed and check them out
We have been EXTREMELY lucky the injury bug hasn’t hit this position throughout the years . And with Mullen’s offense and the stability of Knox we would have thought they would have recruited RB so much better. You have teams playing 2-3 backs every year with another redshirt sitting there waiting to get in the rotation.

We better hope Kylin doesn’t go down for long period of time... because talk about ZERO depth.

Bdawg
01-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Appreciate the update. Wish we could get him.

Pretty sure he has that Miami visit setup and ready to go this weekend

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 07:29 PM
I'm just playing. You've saw him play and obviously like him. Good enough for me... I want em

Hes the truth and you know what they say about the truth

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Jarrian Jones? Although I think he should play WR

Yes Jarrian would make number 2.. and you 100% start this kid at Defense.. don’t even **** with him at WR

BuckyIsAB****
01-23-2019, 07:33 PM
Yes Jarrian would make number 2.. and you 100% start this kid at Defense.. don’t even **** with him at WR

Im not the only one that thinks that but he can be good there too. To each his own

NCDawg
01-23-2019, 08:12 PM
We have been EXTREMELY lucky the injury bug hasn’t hit this position throughout the years . And with Mullen’s offense and the stability of Knox we would have thought they would have recruited RB so much better. You have teams playing 2-3 backs every year with another redshirt sitting there waiting to get in the rotation.

We better hope Kylin doesn’t go down for long period of time... because talk about ZERO depth.

So have you ruled out Ealy signing and playing football with us?

BankerDog
01-23-2019, 08:18 PM
While that's fine, we had options a,b,c. Now we might be getting d, and e. And that's after a terrible Cb class last year and a one man class the year before basically. Thin is being kind. Now I'll say the previous two were on Mullen.
Next year we will have to go juco big time back there.

Duncan was rated right below DJ James as one of the top unsigned AL HS players per AL.com. The kid can play and has a really good bloodline on top of that. At some point we have to start questioning T-Buck's recruiting ability..we lost Bishop and Mason last year and will now lose three of our DBs this year. You guys wanted to always point fingers at Hev, but I read nothing of T-Buck after the last year and a half.

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 08:23 PM
So have you ruled out Ealy signing and playing football with us?

We still have a shot for sure.. But look at the active roster...
And if he does chose to play football here .. that will be 3 RB CJM will have in this class. Last year and the year before that we had 1.

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Im not the only one that thinks that but he can be good there too. To each his own

Never said he couldn’t be an effective WR.. but from all indications JJ wants to play CB so don’t **** with that.

1bigdawg
01-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Duncan was rated right below DJ James as one of the top unsigned AL HS players per AL.com. The kid can play and has a really good bloodline on top of that. At some point we have to start questioning T-Buck's recruiting ability..we lost Bishop and Mason last year and will now lose three of our DBs this year. You guys wanted to always point fingers at Hev, but I read nothing of T-Buck after the last year and a half.

I have begun to worry about this also. We were not going after a bunch of 4 stars, just decent 3 stars that we thought were better than their ranking. It seems we cannot even land those.

MetEdDawg
01-23-2019, 09:08 PM
I have begun to worry about this also. We were not going after a bunch of 4 stars, just decent 3 stars that we thought were better than their ranking. It seems we cannot even land those.

CB is a weird position. There is so much you don't learn at that position in high school because there are a crap ton of athletic guys that play the position but never learn technique. Two of the best corners ever in our history were a 3 star with no other D1 offers (Banks) and a 2 star out of high school in Georgia (Slay). Obviously if you are a Top 5 talent at the position out of high school you are probably flipping good. But there a lot of development that goes on at that position in college. Maybe the most development dependent position in football.

Jarius
01-23-2019, 10:01 PM
I would guess a mid to high 3 star. 85-87 range

As someone looking in that doesn't have any ties to our recruiting, it's very rare that we have a kid that is committed to us that eventually decommits for a "better" school and is successful.

Additionally, most anyone that ends up with character issues is a bust. A lot of folks said we needed to stay away from Deon Mix. That one worked out really well for us in the end. And if you happen to notice, Auburn is all about those types of kids. That's not an accident and it's definitely had an impact on their team culture. I know that from a lot of Auburn folks on the inside b

Auburn has won a national title, been to another national title, been to the sec championship multiple times, and beaten bama more times than anyone else this decade. Where can I sign up to be the next Auburn?

Todd4State
01-23-2019, 11:40 PM

I was about to say that RB worries me more than CB. We have Murphy and Jones who are both four star freshmen next year at that spot. And then Tyler Williams, Jaylon Reed, and Esias Furdge as freshmen or sophomores next year. And Selmon is a four star CB recruit verbally committed for 2020.

The RB depth issue is probably a big reason why we went after Kareem Walker this year to go along with Gibson. RB is a big priority for 2020 and 2021 looking ahead.

Lord McBuckethead
01-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Yeah that Alabama kid may surprise everyone. Looking forward to seeing him get some touches.

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 01:40 AM

That's because it's not the same in any way shape or form. Jarrian Jones is a four star, and he brought in three promising in state recruits like Reed, Williams, and Furdge. He also brought in Cam Dantzler. He has also done a good job of developing Jamal Peters and Maurice Smitherman as well Dantzler. Yes he has lost some but he at least has a replacement in mind for those that he loses. How many years did Hevesy sign three o-linemen? People talk about how Hevesy was a great "coach" but he didn't really develop very many guys that got drafted by the NFL. And that draft number is worse once you get past the guys that he inherited from Croom. Our OT's struggled this year and part of that is on Hevesy. Especially since Reese is playing out of position- and ironically the reason we have Reese is because T-Buck went after him and recruited him.

Honestly if Hevesy hadn't been so lazy and/or if Dan or someone at MSU had held him accountable for his lack of recruiting he wouldn't have gotten half as much flack as he has gotten from me.

There is no way in hell that Hevesy lands Cross and Cunningham. Not sure about the other guys.

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 01:41 AM
Yeah that Alabama kid may surprise everyone. Looking forward to seeing him get some touches.

I bet he redshirts but I could see him having possibly becoming a reliable back for us. There is no question that he was productive in high school and I do think that he is underrated.

Really Clark?
01-24-2019, 07:25 AM
That's because it's not the same in any way shape or form. Jarrian Jones is a four star, and he brought in three promising in state recruits like Reed, Williams, and Furdge. He also brought in Cam Dantzler. He has also done a good job of developing Jamal Peters and Maurice Smitherman as well Dantzler. Yes he has lost some but he at least has a replacement in mind for those that he loses. How many years did Hevesy sign three o-linemen? People talk about how Hevesy was a great "coach" but he didn't really develop very many guys that got drafted by the NFL. And that draft number is worse once you get past the guys that he inherited from Croom. Our OT's struggled this year and part of that is on Hevesy. Especially since Reese is playing out of position- and ironically the reason we have Reese is because T-Buck went after him and recruited him.

Honestly if Hevesy hadn't been so lazy and/or if Dan or someone at MSU had held him accountable for his lack of recruiting he wouldn't have gotten half as much flack as he has gotten from me.

There is no way in hell that Hevesy lands Cross and Cunningham. Not sure about the other guys.

Not a big dispute but Townsend (and Knox to a degree) got Cam the summer before TBuck was hired

BankerDog
01-24-2019, 08:09 AM

We dropped Reed earlier in the class and had to re-offer him. That says something to me. But don?t act like he brought in Cam, Peters, etc either.

Hevesy will have two of his guys drafted this year, one next year, and Reese later. He also found two solid players in Parker and Story. I might add, he did get Rankin too. Eiland didn?t look bad when filling in for Rankin last year either. You also forgot to mention that he was a big reason we were able to get Suggs and Johnson. Suggs will be a major player for us this upcoming year upfront.

As I recall, you were all about us trying to sign Nik Hogan last year and that proved to me how little you know about OL.

Red Sox Dawg
01-24-2019, 10:12 AM
We dropped Reed earlier in the class and had to re-offer him. That says something to me. But don?t act like he brought in Cam, Peters, etc either.

Hevesy will have two of his guys drafted this year, one next year, and Reese later. He also found two solid players in Parker and Story. I might add, he did get Rankin too. Eiland didn?t look bad when filling in for Rankin last year either. You also forgot to mention that he was a big reason we were able to get Suggs and Johnson. Suggs will be a major player for us this upcoming year upfront.

As I recall, you were all about us trying to sign Nik Hogan last year and that proved to me how little you know about OL.

If I am not mistaken Reese was recruited by T-Buck. He hadn’t even been contacted by Hev and the previous staff. T-Buck was hired and got him to sign in less than 2 months. Signed with us over Florida State I believe. Funny that the coach getting criticized for not being able to bring in top corners actually brought in one of the OL that will probably go pro.

Scared_Hitless
01-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Hevesy couldnt recruit for anything no need to attempt to pull that narrative now. He was horrible and arrogant, but that man is one hell of an O-Line coach. We took a step back there this season, also he knew Mullen's offense as well as he did hopefully Marcus can become that with Joe.

Red Sox Dawg
01-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Hevesy couldnt recruit for anything no need to attempt to pull that narrative now. He was horrible and arrogant, but that man is one hell of an O-Line coach. We took a step back there this season, also he knew Mullen's offense as well as he did hopefully Marcus can become that with Joe.

Not sure if you are directing that at me, but I didn’t say anything about coaching, I was talking about recruiting.....this is the recruiting thread isn’t it?

I agree that Hev could coach up some guys to play above their potential.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Mullen schemes to help the OL too. He eliminated screens because we couldnt handle it. He gave our tackles help and our RBs and WRs blocked a lot. Hev is a good coach for what Mullen does.

msstate7
01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Mullen schemes to help the OL too. He eliminated screens because we couldnt handle it. He gave our tackles help and our RBs and WRs blocked a lot. Hev is a good coach for what Mullen does.

Apparently Moorhead's offense doesn't. Josh Allen wrecked penn st even more than he did us. Penn st had no answer either

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-24-2019, 12:37 PM
CB is a weird position. There is so much you don't learn at that position in high school because there are a crap ton of athletic guys that play the position but never learn technique. Two of the best corners ever in our history were a 3 star with no other D1 offers (Banks) and a 2 star out of high school in Georgia (Slay). Obviously if you are a Top 5 talent at the position out of high school you are probably flipping good. But there a lot of development that goes on at that position in college. Maybe the most development dependent position in football.

I don't know I agree. Yes there's a ton of technique, mindset, and quick mental reads needed fto play CB. But in HS you can still tell how fast a guy is, how tall he is, and have an idea of how much he'll weigh in college. All the physical traits are known upfront, same as for WR's. Now OL is REALLY hard to project, since so much physical change is still happening for them.

I agree with you though that there's a crap ton of 5'11"-6'1" skinny fast guys in HS, and finding a solid CB should be very easy. I also think it's the most coaching heavy position because it's so easy to find decent athletes for it. But the 4* and up CBs are generally better than the 3*. If it really was a crapshoot staffs wold have figured that out and devote more time to other positions, trusting they'll grab a couple random 3* from Troy on signing day and be just as good off.

1bigdawg
01-24-2019, 12:48 PM
If I am not mistaken Reese was recruited by T-Buck. He hadn?t even been contacted by Hev and the previous staff. T-Buck was hired and got him to sign in less than 2 months. Signed with us over Florida State I believe. Funny that the coach getting criticized for not being able to bring in top corners actually brought in one of the OL that will probably go pro.

Reese signed with us because Florida State did not offer. He held out for them and then was available for us.

T-Buck did know about the situation and help land him, though.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Apparently Huff's first call as RB coach at Bama was to Ealy. It doesn't bother me much for ex coaches to do this, but I'm not sure why the new coaches we get don't reciprocate. Mullen didn't recruit any Florida recruits when he came here, but sure as hell did last year when he left us and went there. JoMo said publicly that we wouldn't go after any Penn St. recruits when he got here last year.

Were Tyree and Marks for next year interested in us more so because of Huff or JoMo?

As far as CB, I'm not sure why we don't use the juco system more to supplement what we can get at that position. Seems we use it wisely for S, but haven't utilized it much for CB. I would almost try to use 1 scholly a year to try and land a juco guy to cover for any misses we have. Plus is takes most of their first year to really get comfortable at this level.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Apparently Moorhead's offense doesn't. Josh Allen wrecked penn st even more than he did us. Penn st had no answer either

Correct. It’s a problem with his system. You can’t go big play all the time. We use our receivers and running backs less in blocking and more in routes. SEC is too good to do that all the time.

Bothrops
01-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Apparently Huff's first call as RB coach at Bama was to Ealy. It doesn't bother me much for ex coaches to do this, but I'm not sure why the new coaches we get don't reciprocate. Mullen didn't recruit any Florida recruits when he came here, but sure as hell did last year when he left us and went there. JoMo said publicly that we wouldn't go after any Penn St. recruits when he got here last year.

Were Tyree and Marks for next year interested in us more so because of Huff or JoMo?

As far as CB, I'm not sure why we don't use the juco system more to supplement what we can get at that position. Seems we use it wisely for S, but haven't utilized it much for CB. I would almost try to use 1 scholly a year to try and land a juco guy to cover for any misses we have. Plus is takes most of their first year to really get comfortable at this level.

We can't get out of state guys to come here impromptu like that. Before the days of internet and social media, we could do it here and there. Recruiting has changed with technology and it's been rough for us, concerning football.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2019, 02:04 PM

100% agree with you.

I had a CB recruit's parent tell me yesterday that T-Buck was a great dude, but not a closer. Said he basically said, "regardless of where y'all choose to go, y'all have my number and I'm here to help if you need anything.", type of stuff. Again, the guy couldn't be more complimentary of T-Buck, but his kid is going to a different SEC school, so that should tell you all you need to know. I don't think it's T-Buck's fault, he's just a good relationship guy that is not a closer...and in this division of this conference, you gotta ABC, always be closing, ha

Jarius
01-24-2019, 02:22 PM

Dak Prescott circa 2015 disagrees. I thought one of my new favorite MSU radio hosts was going to get Dak killed that year. You are correct though....Mullen masked our deficiencies against teams that he was not totally overmatched by.

Irondawg
01-24-2019, 03:54 PM
100% agree with you.

I had a CB recruit's parent tell me yesterday that T-Buck was a great dude, but not a closer. Said he basically said, "regardless of where y'all choose to go, y'all have my number and I'm here to help if you need anything.", type of stuff. Again, the guy couldn't be more complimentary of T-Buck, but his kid is going to a different SEC school, so that should tell you all you need to know. I don't think it's T-Buck's fault, he's just a good relationship guy that is not a closer...and in this division of this conference, you gotta ABC, always be closing, ha

I guess the question is "could" he have closed the deal and landed the kid at MSU if he had pressed or was the kid going somewhere else regardless? As a recruiter you tend to handle people different ways.

Cowbell
01-24-2019, 04:17 PM

I had a feeling this was going to happen. Pisses me off! And sure makes me wonder if the baseball decision is in doubt...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
I had a feeling this was going to happen. Pisses me off! And sure makes me wonder if the baseball decision is in doubt...

Huff is doing his job & this doesn't have anything to do with baseball.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Ealy isn’t going to AL. Same deal as Clemson.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Huff is doing his job & this doesn't have anything to do with baseball.

Did he call Penn State players when he left last year?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-24-2019, 05:20 PM

we were certainly in it for Tyree

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-24-2019, 06:28 PM
we were certainly in it for Tyree

Who was 2 years and 2 months away from signing with anyone when Huff came here, completely different than someone who's supposed to sign in 2 weeks.

And for the record JoMo was very clear they weren't trying to poach PSU's class

msbulldog
01-24-2019, 06:59 PM
100% agree with you.

C-Dawg the strategy With T-Buck should be let him be the set-up guy and bring a closer in when the time is ripe. been their done that.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2019, 07:03 PM

That would be a JoeMo decision not Huff.

Homedawg
01-24-2019, 07:17 PM
That would be a JoeMo decision not Huff.

That and the fact that bama is already in the head of every kid in America. Sort of easy to get in late on someone. State, however, isn't deep in the minds of many psu recruits. Just how it is.

1bigdawg
01-24-2019, 07:48 PM
I guess the question is "could" he have closed the deal and landed the kid at MSU if he had pressed or was the kid going somewhere else regardless? As a recruiter you tend to handle people different ways.

I agree that you handle different people differently. However, we aren't landing guys. We had three that we "committed" that will always remember his as a nice guy.

maroonmania
01-24-2019, 08:16 PM
100% agree with you.

Well if you remember JoMo's first choice was to not keep T-Buck on staff. A couple of other guys he wanted fell through so he went back and talked him into staying. Maybe lack of recruiting prowess was a factor there?

msbulldog
01-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Look I believe T-Buck is one of our hardest working recruiters, the stories you read, he is always visiting recruits.

msstate7
01-24-2019, 08:42 PM
So looking like Washington to FSU and Emerson to Miami. We really need some good news

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 09:19 PM

You recall incorrectly about Nik Hogan which proves how little you know about what I post. Feel free to link it so I can apologize.

I didn't act like he brought in Peters. But it was T-Buck's idea to move him to CB where he is now likely to be a NFL draft pick. And he held on to Dantlzer and has done a great job developing him. Reed, Williams and Furdge may or may not pan out- but we have options of guys to at least try. Unlike Hevesy and his 2-3 recruit OL classes which have caused depth issues and us having to play some of your favorite o-linemen out of position. And in the past those depth issues have caused us to have to move TE's like Rufus Warren and DL like James Carmon to the o-line to fill a void. We won't have to do that at CB. Despite all of T-Buck's misses- he at least goes back and gets someone to fill the spot instead of signing no one at all. The only way that would be comparable would be if T-Buck didn't sign guys he targeted, was lazy and we were having to move safeties to CB every year.

He did get Rankin- but he also redshirted him when he should have played him instead of Rufus Warren which hurt us in 2015. He also missed him out of high school.

And let's look at our o-line. Which wasn't all that great especially if you remember our o-lines in 1980 and 1998.

C- Jenkins. You give him credit yet Hevesy didn't offer him until the last day in January. Probably after a bunch of misses on his part. Giving Hevesy credit here is like giving a blind squirrel credit for finding a nut.

G- Williams. I'll give him credit here. However, we're having to switch him to center because someone apparently forgot that centers were part of the o-line the past five years.

G- Calhoun. Solid player. We'll see if he gets drafted. It will be round 5-7 if he does.

T- Eiland. Part of the reason he looked good last year was because he started against BYU, Kentucky before Josh Allen's switch went on, A&M with a lot of injuries if I recall correctly, and UMass. The other reason he looked bad is because he was a sophomore who had to start in the SEC as a sophomore. Because someone told a guy who started for Clemson that his hands were too small. Which meant we couldn't use Eiland at RT where he would have been far less exposed. Also this entire o-line struggled with really good defenses last year too. Let's not forget Georgia and Auburn last year when talking about how bad they were this year.

T- Reese. If I can't give T-Buck credit for Dantlzer you sure as hell can't give Hevesy credit for Reese. Who ironically was recruited by T-Buck and not wanted by Hevesy at all. And again another OL playing too soon and out of position because Hevesy failed to fill needs in recruiting. And again- thank God for T-Buck getting him or we would have been worse.

We'll see on Parker, Suggs, and Story. But they are in the exact same position that Reed, Williams, and Furdge are right now in their development except for Story being slightly further along. And Reed was offered by Tennessee after we dropped him and that tells me something as well. And I hope you are right about Suggs because otherwise Hevesy would have completely crapped out with Montravious Richardson and Josh Cooper who never qualified. But at least Brian Baker got us Josh Jackson who we moved to center this year.

NCDawg
01-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Well if you remember JoMo's first choice was to not keep T-Buck on staff. A couple of other guys he wanted fell through so he went back and talked him into staying. Maybe lack of recruiting prowess was a factor there?

Mullen took quite a few of our coaches with him to Florida, but excluded T-Buck. Wonder if recruiting was a major factor.

maroonmania
01-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Mullen took quite a few of our coaches with him to Florida, but excluded T-Buck. Wonder if recruiting was a major factor.

Mullen? Not keep a coach because of recruiting skills? Surely you jest.

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 09:23 PM

I think his issue to me is he pays more attention to out of state guys at least initially like Brooks, James, and etc. when I would rather see him focus on guys more on in state guys like Raydarious Jones. I'm not saying totally ignore out of state guys but I would say be a little wiser with guys that aren't in state guys who are also "looking at other options" and be willing to drop those guys if we have to.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2019, 09:24 PM
TBuck didn’t want to go with Mullen.

BankerDog
01-24-2019, 10:13 PM
Kunddarius Taylor list us in his top-3..?20 Juco WR who was the best WR at Co-Lin last year. Kid is a ball player that we need, real game changer.

Rayburn8
01-24-2019, 10:22 PM

T-Buck did not like Mullen.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Not getting Taylor.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-24-2019, 10:29 PM
Mullen? Not keep a coach because of recruiting skills? Surely you jest.

The Mullen can't recruit argument is tired. When will be face the facts that this might be the way it is here. He don't seem to be having many recruiting issues at Florida OR was he right in saying the the name on the jersey recruits itself?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Not getting Taylor.

Only if Oklahoma pass.

ShotgunDawg
01-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Ealy now visiting Bama instead of unofficially visiting us.

Bama has 28 commits including a 5 and 4 star RB. Why and how would they sign another?

Dawgology
01-25-2019, 01:08 AM
Ealy now visiting Bama instead of unofficially visiting us.

Bama has 28 commits including a 5 and 4 star RB. Why and how would they sign another?

To keep us from having him on our team. That is the unfortunate answer. This has been both Bama,Auburn, and LSU’s strategy for a long time. Sign your opponents best athletes and sit them on the bench. It’s how you keep an opponent down and manageable. That is where these “grey” shirts and such come from.

NCDawg
01-25-2019, 01:38 AM
Pretty sneaky job by Huff. Guess he has no loyalty to Moorhead now and he convinced Saban to go after Ealy. Not that we would have signed Ealy anyway, but he wasn't even going to take an OV to Alabama until Saban hired Huff.

KOdawg1
01-25-2019, 02:00 AM
It's a good thing Ealy won't touch a college football field.

Homedawg
01-25-2019, 02:38 AM
Pretty sneaky job by Huff. Guess he has no loyalty to Moorhead now and he convinced Saban to go after Ealy. Not that we would have signed Ealy anyway, but he wasn't even going to take an OV to Alabama until Saban hired Huff.

Moorhead doesn't sign his check anymore. Of course he has no loyalty to him. It's a cut throat business.

chef dixon
01-25-2019, 05:56 AM
Did Huff even sign anyone good that we would not have signed anyway in the one year we had him? The guy probably never unpacked the U-haul

msstate7
01-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Did Huff even sign anyone good that we would not have signed anyway in the one year we had him? The guy probably never unpacked the U-haul

Got us a bunch of crystal ball predictions for emery**

msstate7
01-25-2019, 06:52 AM
With us likely missing on Emerson, Washington, and ealy now, who fills those spots?

Cooterpoot
01-25-2019, 07:12 AM
We aren?t missing on Ealy. Duncan fills Emerson?s safety spot. Lawrence probably gets Washington?s spot. We still have Young, Lockhart, and Otey too.

TUSK
01-25-2019, 08:06 AM
To keep us from having him on our team. That is the unfortunate answer. This has been both Bama,Auburn, and LSU?s strategy for a long time. Sign your opponents best athletes and sit them on the bench. It?s how you keep an opponent down and manageable. That is where these ?grey? shirts and such come from.

In addition to MSU, which other programs does Alabama do this to? Auburn, LSU? maybe Ole Miss or Tennessee?... What about UGA or Clemson?

msbulldog
01-25-2019, 08:31 AM

You wouldn't catch T-Buck dead going to the bathroom at UF, he's a FSU alum. Mullet probably offered and T-Buck turned him down, we're lucky to have him.

msbulldog
01-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Man just doing his job.

msbulldog
01-25-2019, 08:41 AM
In addition to MSU, which other programs does Alabama do this to? Auburn, LSU? maybe Ole Miss or Tennessee?... What about UGA or Clemson?

Well my Warrior River Trade School friend, Jalen Hurts was coming to MSU, before sneaky Nick snuck in there.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Well my Warrior River Trade School friend, Jalen Hurts was coming to MSU, before sneaky Nick snuck in there.

And hurts started 2 years... he wasn't signed just to keep him from us. That narrative is foolish. Saban isn't scared of us in the least

Dawgology
01-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Dude. I like you. But this is something that Bear Bryant started at Bama. Bryant is one of the main reasons that the original scholarship limit was imposed. Don’t get me wrong, Bear Bryant and Bama were not and are not the only school that does this but it is a very common practice amongst blue blood schools. College is a very unlevel playing field with very little parity. I bring up bama because they are the closest school to MSU and do it to us very VERY often.

Dawgology
01-25-2019, 09:32 AM
And hurts started 2 years... he wasn't signed just to keep him from us. That narrative is foolish. Saban isn't scared of us in the least

It’s not foolish. I have first hand experience with this. He’s not scared of us but he has a killer instinct and this is a common tactic amongst elite schools. It just is.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:34 AM
It’s not foolish. I have first hand experience with this. He’s not scared of us but he has a killer instinct and this is a common tactic amongst elite schools. It just is.

I've never been in the Bama war room, but I don't see it. They may be about to turn young away and he's one hell of a recruit. They have to find room for elite recruits...

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:42 AM
Malzahn after plumlee now?

Doggie_Style
01-25-2019, 09:50 AM
So what's the word on Otey....is he going to visit or no?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 09:53 AM

He's at USC this weekend probably commits. We have another CB OV though.

https://247sports.com/player/josh-sanguinetti-46036718/

Really Clark?

He is visiting USC this weekend now and probably has the lead

Ifyouonlyknew
Malzahn after plumlee now?

He OV to Auburn last weekend. Keep up with your negativity you slipping.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:55 AM
He OV to Auburn last weekend. Keep up with your negativity you slipping.

I'll tune it up. Just saw malzahn visited him yesterday according to tRant cruitn board

msbulldog
01-25-2019, 09:56 AM

7 I was picking at Tusk, CHILL!

msbulldog
01-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Dude. I like you. But this is something that Bear Bryant started at Bama. Bryant is one of the main reasons that the original scholarship limit was imposed. Don?t get me wrong, Bear Bryant and Bama were not and are not the only school that does this but it is a very common practice amongst blue blood schools. College is a very unlevel playing field with very little parity. I bring up bama because they are the closest school to MSU and do it to us very VERY often.

Johnny Vaught did it at mississippi.

Irondawg
01-25-2019, 11:21 AM
So we're losing two big CB target to freakin Oregon and USC. I know they have bigger names, but geez that stings

msstate7
01-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Delete

msu15
01-25-2019, 11:23 AM
So we're losing two big CB target to freakin Oregon and USC. I know they have bigger names, but geez that stings

And Miami

msstate7
01-25-2019, 11:25 AM
How many we gonna sign? Who are gonna sign?

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 11:26 AM
He's at USC this weekend probably commits. We have another CB OV though.

https://247sports.com/player/josh-sanguinetti-46036718/

Kid looks like a pretty good player. What do you rate our chances with him? Thanks

Cooterpoot
01-25-2019, 11:34 AM
And Miami

He's a safety.

msu15
01-25-2019, 11:36 AM
He's a safety.

Yea my bad

Doggie_Style
01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
How many we gonna sign? Who are gonna sign?

Looks like we sign about 21 including Walker, Cunningham, Pickering, Payton, Duncan, Lockhart and Lawrence.

Could sign as many as 24 if we pull Young, Mingo and another CB but I wouldn't count on those.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Looks like we sign about 21 including Walker, Cunningham, Pickering, Payton, Duncan, Lockhart and Lawrence.

Could sign as many as 24 if we pull Young, Mingo and another CB but I wouldn't count on those.

Take out Lawrence & add Singuinetti. Then I expect a couple more signees. Then we'll save a couple spots for Grad transfers.

1bigdawg
01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Take out Lawrence & add Singuinetti. Then I expect a couple more signees. Then we'll save a couple spots for Grad transfers.

Singuinetti's measurables from camp this summer don't add up to be an elite recruit. Any thoughts. Also, I think we can sign at least 28 unless the 85 is a big limiter.

vv83
01-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Go on please...

chef dixon
01-25-2019, 12:06 PM
What makes us feel good about sanguinetti? Cant even tell he is considering us looking him up and on twitter. But hey I will take it if we work some late magic

Ari Gold
01-25-2019, 12:06 PM

Yes.
Guys enough with the Lawrence kid. If we sign him then so be it. ( space was available lots of space) But his best option is juco route and weigh his options in 2 years if he wants to play here or P5 ball. If not it’s USM at best for him.. IMO

Saying that a preferred walk on is perfect.

Doggie_Style
01-25-2019, 12:07 PM

We got plenty of room, odds are we take Lawrence

Ari Gold
01-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Go on please...

Lots of these grad guys and transfers are going to wait till after NSD to look at rosters , coaches ect before they make their decisions.
I bet we see 2 maybe even 3 here before all is said and done.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 12:09 PM
We got plenty of room, odds are we take Lawrence

I don't think we do. I could end up wrong but I've heard of several guys they've talked about bringing in for OV & he wasn't 1.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 12:10 PM
What makes us feel good about sanguinetti? Cant even tell he is considering us looking him up and on twitter. But hey I will take it if we work some late magic

He's OV this weekend.

Really Clark?
01-25-2019, 12:10 PM

He is visiting us this weekend and is looking for his best P5 option

msstate7
01-25-2019, 12:13 PM
He is visiting us this weekend and is looking for his best P5 option

Are the Oregon and auburn offers real on his profile?

ejdallas322
01-25-2019, 12:19 PM
https://twitter.com/teamgabaseball/status/1088785074814894080?s=21

Why are we barely making any efforts? We are still in it with him.

ejdallas322
01-25-2019, 12:20 PM
http://https://twitter.com/teamgabaseball/status/1088785074814894080?s=21

ejdallas322
01-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Ok u probably can’t see it, so it’s a tweet sharing that Saban and Dabo went to Jackson Prep to see Ealy while he was practicing baseball.

Doggie_Style
01-25-2019, 12:22 PM
I don't think we do. I could end up wrong but I've heard of several guys they've talked about bringing in for OV & he wasn't 1.

Steve thinks we bring him in next weekend....we'll see

Really Clark?
01-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Oregon was for sure but now they are adjusting their class. Was going to bring him in for an OV. Same as Michigan maybe but he went to BC. So I would say he was on their DB boards and had legit offers.

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know what our numbers looks like as far as being able to sign? I remember going into this year that we easily had 25 spots. We only signed 23 last year and only 20 came to campus.

We have 14 signed - 5 already on campus and so some of those can count back potentially.

We have 6 commits but I think four of which are wavering and or may not be allowed to sign by us (Cunningham, Washington, Emerson and Payton) the other two Pickering and Walker I think we land, bringing us to 16 guys I think are in the boat.

Are we going to sign 9 more players? I think that would still allow 2 or 3 grad transfers considering some of these guys should count back.

Just wondering about numbers

CadaverDawg
01-25-2019, 12:24 PM

According to his Dad....Yes, he could have gotten him. But at the end of the day, they felt like he was the easiest to turn down, bc he always gave guys an out and acted like he'd support them regardless. I'm Not saying pressuring kids is the "right" way....but if they're having a tough time deciding, giving them an easy out rarely gets the job done. But this is just one instance, the rest of my feeling on T-Buck just comes from the fact that we're always "in it" with good CB's, but rarely even land the top 3 star guys on our board...much less the stud 4 or 5 star

Really Clark?
01-25-2019, 12:25 PM
https://twitter.com/teamgabaseball/status/1088785074814894080?s=21

Why are we barely making any efforts? We are still in it with him.

We went to see him this week as well. And he met the new RB coach

Big4Dawg
01-25-2019, 12:42 PM
So looks like three guys are trending towards us today:

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Sanguinetti-46036718/

https://247sports.com/Player/Collin-Duncan-94207/

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Lockhart-46059388/

Not bad all things considered

msstate7
01-25-2019, 12:55 PM
So looks like three guys are trending towards us today:

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Sanguinetti-46036718/

https://247sports.com/Player/Collin-Duncan-94207/

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Lockhart-46059388/

Not bad all things considered

Are these all takes no matter what happens with young, mingo, ealy, and plumlee?

Cooterpoot
01-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Yep

msstate7
01-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Yep

Then this is great news.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Yep

Good stuff. These would be good gets to go along with who else we have coming in.

HoopsDawg
01-25-2019, 01:14 PM

No. Not any longer.

HoopsDawg
01-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Agree. Save room for a couple of grad transfers.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Agree. Save room for a couple of grad transfers.

Yeah that's the smart play and there is a busload of those out there!

Cooterpoot
01-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Going to be plenty of room for transfers and one is almost a guarantee and won't be surprised with 2.

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Going to be plenty of room for transfers and one is almost a guarantee and won't be surprised with 2.

I don't like the sound of that. We need to sign at least 23. We have plenty of room with guys counting back to next year.

Anyone know how many we sign?

TUSK
01-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Dude. I like you. But this is something that Bear Bryant started at Bama. Bryant is one of the main reasons that the original scholarship limit was imposed. Don?t get me wrong, Bear Bryant and Bama were not and are not the only school that does this but it is a very common practice amongst blue blood schools. College is a very unlevel playing field with very little parity. I bring up bama because they are the closest school to MSU and do it to us very VERY often.

You're dead nuts on RE: Bryant signing 100+ guys just to horde them up... That's well documented. Shug did it, Neyland, Vaught, etc....

However, there's no way Saban is going to waste a scholarship for the sole reason of impeding another program. And the truth is, Alabama doesn't even sign many guys from MS anymore unless they are rated really high. And everybody offers those cats.

Heck, y'all get waaaaay more guys out of Bama than the inverse... If Saban truly wanted to disrupt State recruiting, he could just offer all of y'all's commits, especially the AL guys and string em along... I think he's after the Ealy kid because he's really talented, not because MSU wants him... that's incidental, IMO....

If Saban was offering multiple MS 3* kids every year, I'd think there might be something nefarious afoot...

Because this discussion got me curious, I ran the numbers on where Bammer guys come from (2018):
AL 21
FL 11
LA 10
TX 10
CA 5
SC 4
MD 4
MS 4
GA 3
KY 2
HI, IN, IA, MO, NV, OH, OK, PA, TN, UT, AR 1

Cooterpoot
01-25-2019, 02:06 PM
I don't like the sound of that. We need to sign at least 23. We have plenty of room with guys counting back to next year.

Anyone know how many we sign?

We aren’t done with guys leaving= plenty of room

msstate7
01-25-2019, 02:13 PM
If Florida flips khris bogle, how does it affect young?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 02:42 PM

It doesn't

msu15
01-25-2019, 02:46 PM

None

Irondawg
01-25-2019, 03:13 PM
According to his Dad....Yes, he could have gotten him. But at the end of the day, they felt like he was the easiest to turn down, bc he always gave guys an out and acted like he'd support them regardless. I'm Not saying pressuring kids is the "right" way....but if they're having a tough time deciding, giving them an easy out rarely gets the job done. But this is just one instance, the rest of my feeling on T-Buck just comes from the fact that we're always "in it" with good CB's, but rarely even land the top 3 star guys on our board...much less the stud 4 or 5 star

That's a real good point and sounds like some negotiating training would be beneficial. You can still be the nice guy without also being the easy guy to turn down. Every case is different but as you said it's a bit of a pattern for us to get in the door but never close the deal. Like with James even though we really liked him we should have pressed him a little harder on signing early. Maybe we did, but if we didn't we have paid the price.

HoopsDawg
01-25-2019, 03:15 PM
We aren’t done with guys leaving= plenty of room

Grad transfers count against the 25. Or in our case, the 27. I'm still naively holding the belief that we will sign Young, Ealy and Mingo.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Grad transfers count against the 25. Or in our case, the 27. I'm still naively holding the belief that we will sign Young, Ealy and Mingo.

Makes 2 of us

msstate7
01-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Keep Pickering, get 3 CB'd to us today, and 2 of Plumlee, young, mingo, and ealy... I'll be quite happy

BeardoMSU
01-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Keep Pickering, get 3 CB'd to us today, and 2 of Plumlee, young, mingo, and ealy... I'll be quite happy

I would hope so, lol.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 03:58 PM
I would hope so, lol.

Hell, I'll be ok with 1 of the last 4 I listed

Bothrops
01-25-2019, 04:15 PM
It's a little early to get excited about having balls going to a new name CB that hasn't been on campus yet. I think we get Lockhart and Duncan though. Otay is USC bound, Young to Bama or LSU (visit coming), and Ealy to Bama. I think Lawrence still gets a scholly.

NCDawg
01-25-2019, 04:23 PM
It's a little early to get excited about having balls going to a new name CB that hasn't been on campus yet. I think we get Lockhart and Duncan though. Otay is USC bound, Young to Bama or LSU (visit coming), and Ealy to Bama. I think Lawrence still gets a scholly.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 04:24 PM

Don't give up on Byron yet. I believe we get him.

BeardoMSU
01-25-2019, 04:30 PM

https://images.newrepublic.com/7e219814b6e9221e88b640dcd33c0647192743b6.gif

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Nice!

BuckyIsAB****
01-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Mingo either

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Mingo either

I hear ya, Bucky!

KOdawg1
01-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Mingo either
I like our chances with Mingo if we hurry up and hire Michael Johnson as receivers coach and let them get to meet each other.

If we keep Baker then we still have a shot with Byron. If not, I have no idea, but it certainly doesn't help things.

KOdawg1
01-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Looks like Plumlee is OM or Auburn bound. I hate we're missing out on him. He's a good athlete. He doesn't fit OMs scheme at all though. I actually think he fits in with Gus though.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2019, 05:16 PM
I like our chances with Mingo if we hurry up and hire Michael Johnson as receivers coach and let them get to meet each other.

If we keep Baker then we still have a shot with Byron. If not, I have no idea, but it certainly doesn't help things.

That's the only caveat with Byron. We keep Baker(which I believe we do) our chances with Byron are excellent.

BuckyIsAB****
01-25-2019, 05:32 PM
Looks like Plumlee is OM or Auburn bound. I hate we're missing out on him. He's a good athlete. He doesn't fit OMs scheme at all though. I actually think he fits in with Gus though.

Hes a good fit for what Rich Rod wants to do at OM....let it play out. If he goes to OM it may help us with another.

BuckyIsAB****
01-25-2019, 05:32 PM

This is true. Johnson is a big get and will help us with Mingo and a few others. He already knows Mingo pretty well

NCDawg
01-25-2019, 05:58 PM
This is true. Johnson is a big get and will help us with Mingo and a few others. He already knows Mingo pretty well

Who is Michael Johnson?

vv83
01-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Who is Michael Johnson?

Oregon WR coach

BhamDawg205
01-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Oregon WR coach

Now if we could go get a proven QB coach

msstate7
01-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Now if we could go get a proven QB coach

I wonder if penn st is gonna chance OCs after signing day. Seems there's a lotta things going on with their program. I would love to add rahme as our qb coach/OC.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-25-2019, 07:32 PM

He'll help with Juwan Johnson as Oregon was one of the other schools he was considering.

Goldendawg
01-25-2019, 09:08 PM

Check out why Georgia Tech got out of the SEC. bama oversigning back in the day and getting the vote to keep doing it.

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Check out why Georgia Tech got out of the SEC. bama oversigning back in the day and getting the vote to keep doing it.

I think there were also rumors or something about Vanderbilt, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Duke, Rice, and SMU getting together and forming their own league. Tulane and GT made the leap of faith and the others said never mind.

BuckyIsAB****
01-25-2019, 09:56 PM
I wonder if penn st is gonna chance OCs after signing day. Seems there's a lotta things going on with their program. I would love to add rahme as our qb coach/OC.

That aint gonna happen. I thought Breiner maybe was on the cut list but I was wrong. I dont expect him to be going anywhere for a while. He is Moorheads boy

Homedawg
01-25-2019, 10:15 PM
That aint gonna happen. I thought Breiner maybe was on the cut list but I was wrong. I dont expect him to be going anywhere for a while. He is Moorheads boy

Had the staff stayed in tact , there was a chance that Getsy was going to qb and Breiner moved to TE. But obviously the way things worked out that's not.

yjnkdawg
01-25-2019, 10:18 PM

I thought he was too, but the tea leaves just didn't read right.

BhamDawg205
01-26-2019, 12:38 AM

I think that will be our "Achilles Heel" on offense... Knowing the offense is not enough, if your QBs can't get the ball there.

TUSK
01-26-2019, 04:51 AM

It wasn't "over signing" per se... It was "processing", only 45 years early... And Dodd lost the "140 vote" 11-1.

MSU also voted against a change of the rule.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Had the staff stayed in tact , there was a chance that Getsy was going to qb and Breiner moved to TE. But obviously the way things worked out that's not.

Oh wow that says a ton about Moorheads' opinion of Breiner. You don't bring in QB coach to move him to TE a year later.

msstate7
01-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Oh wow that says a ton about Moorheads' opinion of Breiner. You don't bring in QB coach to move him to TE a year later.

He's still on staff though, so maybe it just means Moorhead thought a heck of a lot more of getsy