PDA

View Full Version : The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

notsofarawaydawg
03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
First case of the COVID-19 in MS

JACKSON, Miss. ? Tonight the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reports its first presumptive positive case of coronavirus or COVID-19. Final verification will come from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The individual is a Forrest county adult male who recently traveled to Florida. After confirmation by the Mississippi State Department of Health's Public Health Laboratory, the patient voluntarily isolated himself at home to prevent further transmission to others. The patient was not hospitalized.

The Mississippi State Department of Health is conducting further investigation to limit spread of the virus from this case.

Governor Tate Reeves is fully aware of the situation and remains in close contact with the State Health Officer for all elements of COVID-19 response.

State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs will release additional information and guidelines to Mississippians at an 11:00 press conference tomorrow morning.

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Sweet

Joebob
03-11-2020, 08:00 PM
It’s pretty much everywhere now. We just don’t know how pervasive it is yet.

HoopsDawg
03-11-2020, 08:06 PM
pretty much a 1/3 of the US population is going to get it. probably around 3% are going to die. brutal.

Joebob
03-11-2020, 08:13 PM
pretty much a 1/3 of the US population is going to get it. probably around 3% are going to die. brutal.

What’s really scary for those of us with compromised immune systems is that many virologists are saying that eventually everyone will be exposed to it. If not this spring, then next winter.

bobcat91
03-11-2020, 08:15 PM

Most folks will get exposed to it. When all is said and done, 1% or so may die and they will mainly be the elderly and immunocompromised. The average age of the person dying in the US is 80 yrs old.

RocketDawg
03-11-2020, 08:19 PM

That would be over 3,000,000 US deaths. To put that number in perspective, it's more than the population of Mississippi. I don't think it'll get anywhere near that bad.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Based on what? It started in China in January, and nowhere close to 33% of the Chinese have it. In fact, not even close to 1% have it

There are ~ 330 million Americans, so you predict 110 million get it, and 3.3 million Americans die?

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Most folks will get exposed to it. When all is said and done, 1% or so may die and they will mainly be the elderly and immunocompromised. The average age of the person dying in the US is 80 yrs old.

That's a lot of people's parents and grandparents....

msstate7
03-11-2020, 08:31 PM
That's a lot of people's parents and grandparents....

My grandmother is in and out of hospital, so I'm very concerned for her

Apoplectic
03-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Based on what? It started in China in January, and nowhere close to 33% of the Chinese have it. In fact, not even close to 1% have it

There are ~ 330 million Americans, so you predict 110 million get it, and 3.3 million Americans die?

the chinese are lying - its not contained

BayouDawg
03-11-2020, 08:45 PM
I know this is definitely black helicopters but what if the Chinese created this virus and released it to send the world economy into disarray.

deadheaddawg
03-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Tom Hanks had tested positive.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 08:47 PM
the chinese are lying - its not contained

To be at 1% of the Chinese population, they would have to gave 14,000,000 cases. To be at 33% like hoops predicted for the us, it would be 462,000,000 cases in China. You think they fudging the numbers (90,000 cases) like this?

Cooterpoot
03-11-2020, 08:50 PM
The Forrest Co case is a Dr. that caught it in Miami. He works at Hattiesburg Clinic. I was there yesterday.

bobcat91
03-11-2020, 08:57 PM
A lot of people will be infected and get over it. Those in a weakened immunocompromised state are going to be severely infected. I dont think it's going to be the Spanish flu, but we simply dont have the testing to tell what the actual morbility/mortality rate really is.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
To be at 1% of the Chinese population, they would have to gave 14,000,000 cases. To be at 33% like hoops predicted for the us, it would be 462,000,000 cases in China. You think they fudging the numbers (90,000 cases) like this?

It's really not hard ot fudge. 90% of cases will be in people healthy enough that they don't need to go to a Dr. Of those who do go, only test those who have ALL symptoms, or just don't test everyone. Past that, just don't report all the positive results. China is an authoritarian regime, of course they'd do that to keep panic levels down.

Hell, right here in the USA Dr Hellen Chu in Seattle had to violate orders from the CDC to test flu patients for it, without her doing that we literally wouldn't know it's in Washington (now up to 366 confirmed cases there). A guy in NYC got sick after flying so he called the hotline to get tested. They told him he had to have 1) cough to uncontrollable to speak, 2) difficulty breathing, AND a fever of 102+... just to find out where the testing center is, not even be given one or told he would get one. If our own Gov't is doing such a bad job of tracking this you really can't trust China's numbers

PS, Dr Brian Monahan (the head Dr for the Senate and Supreme court) says 70-150M Americans will get it, so Hoops 1/3rd estimate is right in line with what professionals think.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 09:38 PM

And if you recover your lungs might be badly damaged
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-x-rays-show-terrifying-21672219

codeDawg
03-11-2020, 09:44 PM

People die, but it doesn?t have to be today. If me being inconvenienced saves my parents and grandparents who are all high risk for this but less so for other things, so be it.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 09:47 PM
It's really not hard ot fudge. 90% of cases will be in people healthy enough that they don't need to go to a Dr. Of those who do go, only test those who have ALL symptoms, or just don't test everyone. Past that, just don't report all the positive results. China is an authoritarian regime, of course they'd do that to keep panic levels down.

Hell, right here in the USA Dr Hellen Chu in Seattle had to violate orders from the CDC to test flu patients for it, without her doing that we literally wouldn't know it's in Washington (now up to 366 confirmed cases there). A guy in NYC got sick after flying so he called the hotline to get tested. They told him he had to have 1) cough to uncontrollable to speak, 2) difficulty breathing, AND a fever of 102+... just to find out where the testing center is, not even be given one or told he would get one. If our own Gov't is doing such a bad job of tracking this you really can't trust China's numbers

PS, Dr Brian Monahan (the head Dr for the Senate and Supreme court) says 70-150M Americans will get it, so Hoops 1/3rd estimate is right in line with what professionals think.

70-150 million with a death rate of 3% is 2.1-4.5 million deaths. I'm not buying that at all. If he's predicting 70-150 million, then I say the 3% death rate is grossly exaggerated.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-11-2020, 10:01 PM
70-150 million with a death rate of 3% is 2.1-4.5 million deaths. I'm not buying that at all. If he's predicting 70-150 million, then I say the 3% death rate is grossly exaggerated.

I'm sorry that the best available facts don't line up with what you immagine reality to be... seriously 7, you're a stats guy. Saying 'I don't buy" it can get that bad or "ix this part is really that bad then the other part must be not nearly as bad" are basically you stating "I arbitrarily decided it will only be X bad, so whatever formula of # infected x death rate must = X". You're smarter than to use hunches from your own ass in the face of what literal Dr's and nations with or evidence say.

Death rates are probably closer to 1% than 3. And back to CHina- remember they quarantined Wuhan after only 500 confirmed cases, and took a lot more quarantine action elsewhere after I think 2,000 cases were confirmed. We've already had over 1,000 cases confirmed and aren't doing shit, so yeah it's reasonable to think the % of the population that gets it will be higher than China's was (or SK or that matter)

Cooterpoot
03-11-2020, 10:33 PM
Part of my health issues are related to something similar to Coronavirus. I contracted it at Ft. Sam Houston (which is currently handling quarantines). No Dr. could figure out what it was and no antibiotics worked on it. It was a terrible cough & really hard to breathe. Coughed so hard I'd throw up. Worst shit I've ever had. Left my lungs scarred. So if I get this....I'm toast. Or maybe I'm immune now.....hmm.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry that the best available facts don't line up with what you immagine reality to be... seriously 7, you're a stats guy. Saying 'I don't buy" it can get that bad or "ix this part is really that bad then the other part must be not nearly as bad" are basically you stating "I arbitrarily decided it will only be X bad, so whatever formula of # infected x death rate must = X". You're smarter than to use hunches from your own ass in the face of what literal Dr's and nations with or evidence say.

Death rates are probably closer to 1% than 3. And back to CHina- remember they quarantined Wuhan after only 500 confirmed cases, and took a lot more quarantine action elsewhere after I think 2,000 cases were confirmed. We've already had over 1,000 cases confirmed and aren't doing shit, so yeah it's reasonable to think the % of the population that gets it will be higher than China's was (or SK or that matter)

China has been dealing with this since January. They're reporting 80,932 cases. Let's just say they're lying and it's 1000x worse than that... 80,932,000 cases. They're population is 1.4 billion, so that would mean 5.8% of the population has it. The deaths reported there 3,056. Let's say that's 1000x worse than reported... so 3.056 million deaths, which is 2.2% of population.

Now to US... if we get 50-170 million cases, that would be 15.2-51.5% of the population getting it. Just don't see how you can come up with that number with the data that is out there.

trojandawg
03-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Been fighting bronchitis for a month now. Don't want that shit near me until I'm over this crap fully.

KOdawg1
03-11-2020, 11:25 PM
There's a difference between taking it seriously and panicking.

JoseBrown
03-11-2020, 11:32 PM
China has been dealing with this since January. They're reporting 80,932 cases. Let's just say they're lying and it's 1000x worse than that... 80,932,000 cases. They're population is 1.4 billion, so that would mean 5.8% of the population has it. The deaths reported there 3,056. Let's say that's 1000x worse than reported... so 3.056 million deaths, which is 2.2% of population.

Now to US... if we get 50-170 million cases, that would be 15.2-51.5% of the population getting it. Just don't see how you can come up with that number with the data that is out there.

I'm not buying it either..the predicted deaths or final count...I'm basing it off something I learned in college many years ago in ECON classes, ceteris paribus...I think that's right. Anyway, at the time these predictions are made, they're based on everything remaining the same. Problem is, we're taking steps to change everything conducive to the virus spreading....that's what I base my "not buying it on". Grounding flights, shutting down events with a crowd, closing borders.....I am immuno-compromised so you won't be seeing me too many places and avoiding the ER, hospitals and clinics, God willing.

deadheaddawg
03-11-2020, 11:38 PM

And doing things like suspending sporting events, online classes, and limiting foreign travel is taking it seriously. It's what should be done.

Panicking is buying 5 cases of toliet paper and paying $20 for some hand sanitizer on eBay

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 11:38 PM

And.. everyone has an opinion about what the line is for that.

Dawgcap
03-11-2020, 11:40 PM
The crazy thing is we have a media preaching panic and a potential pandemic but yet we have colleges closing. So my question as a father of a student 8 months in pa school do many of y?all agree with college shutdown with online training but still expect medical personnel to be properly trained? What do want and expect?

The Federalist Engineer
03-11-2020, 11:42 PM

More like 1.5% will be serious and 0.5% will die....possibly much lower because there are now months of R&D

Apoplectic
03-11-2020, 11:46 PM
I know this is definitely black helicopters but what if the Chinese created this virus and released it to send the world economy into disarray.

listen to the rogan podcast from this week - solid info from an expert and no its not a manufactured virus - mother nature is more clever than we are

Apoplectic
03-11-2020, 11:47 PM
More like 1.5% will be serious and 0.5% will die....possibly much lower because there are now months of R&D

nearly 100% will get it - many wont know they had it but they will transmit it

Apoplectic
03-11-2020, 11:49 PM

china has known since november- they lost control in december

mparkerfd20
03-12-2020, 12:13 AM
Ya'll some tin foil hat wearing SOBs up in here.

deadheaddawg
03-12-2020, 12:38 AM
The crazy thing is we have a media preaching panic and a potential pandemic but yet we have colleges closing. So my question as a father of a student 8 months in pa school do many of y?all agree with college shutdown with online training but still expect medical personnel to be properly trained? What do want and expect?

Yes I still expect medical professional to properly trained even though they had to take online classes instead of classroom classes for a few weeks when they were students.

Because the truth is, if this keeps a student from becoming properly trained......well it's not the online classes fault. That student needs to find a new career

Cooterpoot
03-12-2020, 04:16 AM
Guys, you better take this shit seriously. It's going to be ugly in about a month. Nobody knows how ugly yet, but IT'S COMING.

MetEdDawg
03-12-2020, 04:49 AM
With all of the people planning on traveling for spring break around the country, it is definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

We will see a spike in cases over the next 3 weeks as colleges and K-12 schools are either on spring break now or go on spring break over the next 2-3 weeks.

Cooterpoot
03-12-2020, 05:08 AM
With all of the people planning on traveling for spring break around the country, it is definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

We will see a spike in cases over the next 3 weeks as colleges and K-12 schools are either on spring break now or go on spring break over the next 2-3 weeks.

I know local schools are happy spring break is here so they don't have to close classes. They're taking a wait and see approach to where this goes and will make decisions about whether to reopen after spring break.

MetEdDawg
03-12-2020, 05:18 AM
I know local schools are happy spring break is here so they don't have to close classes. They're taking a wait and see approach to where this goes and will make decisions about whether to reopen after spring break.

That's my guess as to what happens here in Alabama. My spring break is the week after next. I would imagine our system tries to make it to spring break, then based on the circumstances of how the outbreak is proceeding, will determine if we will be asked to stay home for an additional week after spring break.

KentuckyDawg13
03-12-2020, 06:45 AM
"There are two main versions of the rumor, and they have one common thread: that the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, originated in a level 4 (the highest biosafety level) research laboratory in Wuhan.

In one version of the rumor, the virus was engineered in the lab by humans as a bioweapon. In another version, the virus was being studied in the lab (after being isolated from animals) and then ?escaped? or ?leaked? because of poor safety protocol."

URL="https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab"]https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab[/URL]

Doggie_Style
03-12-2020, 07:13 AM

Complete bullshit....when it?s all said and done cases in the US won?t exceed 30,000....summer is close at hand

FISHDAWG
03-12-2020, 07:18 AM
Ya'll some tin foil hat wearing SOBs up in here.

who ever knew that all these coaches up in here were also doctors ?

msstate7
03-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Now don't get me wrong, lots of Americans will get sick and die. This is certainly serious, but I just don't see how this gets in the millions of deaths for Americans... there's hasn't even been 5,000 deaths worldwide yet

Negative Waves
03-12-2020, 08:05 AM
Go read Chemosabe's posts on the Wayne and Hobbes Auburn message board. Everybody needs to calm down and quit panicking over this. Every person in the medical field I know is stating that this is getting tremendously overblown.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Been fighting bronchitis for a month now. Don't want that shit near me until I'm over this crap fully.

What if you have it now?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Go read Chemosabe's posts on the Wayne and Hobbes Auburn message board. Everybody needs to calm down and quit panicking over this. Every person in the medical field I know is stating that this is getting tremendously overblown.

This guy disagrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

BB30
03-12-2020, 10:08 AM

That is strange. My daughter fell and split her head this weekend so we had an ER visit. the ER doc said they had had several meetings about the virus and that is was a pretty serious thing. He said it's nothing to panic over but that it is definitely a serious issue and to just be aware of it/cautious.

Playing it down like it is nothing is just as bad as starting the fear mongering that we have seen. Everyone just needs to take it seriously but not freak out. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 10:12 AM
That is strange. My daughter fell and split her head this weekend so we had an ER visit. the ER doc said they had had several meetings about the virus and that is was a pretty serious thing. He said it's nothing to panic over but that it is definitely a serious issue and to just be aware of it/cautious.

Playing it down like it is nothing is just as bad as starting the fear mongering that we have seen. Everyone just needs to take it seriously but not freak out. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Good post. There's such a fine line between absolute hysteria and not doing anything. People are going a little to far on both sides of this issue. Just like Dr. Ben Carson said on Sunday. Treat this seriously but don't stop living your life.

KOdawg1
03-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Good post. There's such a fine line between absolute hysteria and not doing anything. People are going a little to far on both sides of this issue. Just like Dr. Ben Carson said on Sunday. Treat this seriously but don't stop living your life.

This.

trojandawg
03-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Been to doc twice and no fever just normal bronchitis crap. Just don't want to have this and come in contact with the other on top of it.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 10:32 AM
And if you recover your lungs might be badly damaged
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-x-rays-show-terrifying-21672219

Sooba, that is an article from the Mirror. Come on man.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Yes I still expect medical professional to properly trained even though they had to take online classes instead of classroom classes for a few weeks when they were students.

Because the truth is, if this keeps a student from becoming properly trained......well it's not the online classes fault. That student needs to find a new career

That is a totally bogus statement. You can NOT learn any medically related field from a book or online. You just cant. It takes clinical experience.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 10:42 AM
This guy disagrees

I know who Chemosabe is. What he says is probably spot on. He is a physician that has intense professional AND personal reasons for staying on top of this. I have probably already read what he said but I'm going to go look at that.

DownwardDawg
03-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Best post of the thread.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Yeah, and my Facebook is full of people on cruise ships, in Florida, and New York. About two weeks after Spring Break it will explode here.

ScoobaDawg
03-12-2020, 11:15 AM
That is a totally bogus statement. You can NOT learn any medically related field from a book or online. You just cant. It takes clinical experience.

Ah so ignorant as always. You don't think people can't learn thru computer simulations?

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Ah so ignorant as always. You don't think people can't learn thru computer simulations?

Not in the medical field. You can learn the basics and the theory. You can't learn the art. All those interesting organs and nasty diseases are attached to human beings with personalities and individual physiologies. In a simulation you are presented with x and if you do y you get z. It doesn't work that way with real live humans. Health science IS a science, but practicing any health related field is also an art. I would not let a simulation only trained practitioner touch me, ever. You are the one showing ignorance here man. Sorry.

dantheman4248
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Complete bullshit....when it?s all said and done cases in the US won?t exceed 30,000....summer is close at hand

I'd bet you all your VCash that the US has 30,000 confirmed cases by the start of Summer. We didn't do enough to contain it initially and it will slowly spread out. Bad take.

ScoobaDawg
03-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Not in the medical field. You can learn the basics and the theory. You can't learn the art. All those interesting organs and nasty diseases are attached to human beings with personalities and individual physiologies. In a simulation you are presented with x and if you do y you get z. It doesn't work that way with real live humans. Health science IS a science, but practicing any health related field is also an art. I would not let a simulation only trained practitioner touch me, ever. You are the one showing ignorance here man. Sorry.

You will be surprised how many more surgeries will be done by dr's who only interact with computers or the surgeries are done by robots... in the not so distant future.

deadheaddawg
03-12-2020, 12:42 PM
I know who Chemosabe is. What he says is probably spot on. He is a physician that has intense professional AND personal reasons for staying on top of this. I have probably already read what he said but I'm going to go look at that.

You think a few weeks of interruption will keep a person from becoming properly trained?

Wow and lol

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 01:33 PM
And doing things like suspending sporting events, online classes, and limiting foreign travel is taking it seriously. It's what should be done.

Panicking is buying 5 cases of toliet paper and paying $20 for some hand sanitizer on eBay

This. Exactly.

Activated Alpha
03-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Yeah, and my Facebook is full of people on cruise ships, in Florida, and New York. About two weeks after Spring Break it will explode here.

Liver,

Speaking from someone who has over a decade of medical experience including continuing my education in healthcare, there is a difference between classroom experience and clinical experience. Classroom is where you can be online. Clinical coursework you can include simulation labs to help. They won't suspend clinicals indefinitely so it's not like they will be going the year completely without clinicals. You can definitely balance the two if it comes to that.

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 01:38 PM
The real thing I'm learning from this is how marked up travel and cruise prices are. $15 plane tickets available. $200 cruises available. Now you know their bottom line to stay afloat.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 01:54 PM
The real thing I'm learning from this is how marked up travel and cruise prices are. $15 plane tickets available. $200 cruises available. Now you know their bottom line to stay afloat.

Yeah they're practically giving tickets away right now. amazing.

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Yeah they're practically giving tickets away right now. amazing.

Considering full price for a round trip ticket from Atlanta to the Northwest coast runs around $700 And they pack 200+ plus on one of those planes they should have plenty in their savings acct. hahah

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Considering full price for a round trip ticket from Atlanta to the Northwest coast runs around $700 And they pack 200+ plus on one of those planes they should have plenty in their savings acct. hahah

You got that right!

Apoplectic
03-12-2020, 02:05 PM

i?d follow the guy in this youtube video over an anonymous message board poster

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 02:12 PM
You will be surprised how many more surgeries will be done by dr's who only interact with computers or the surgeries are done by robots... in the not so distant future.

No I won't. It's already happening in my podunk little County, NOW, not in the future. What you are missing is the body they are treating is not a computer no matter how it's being done. Your ignorance is stunning.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM
That would be over 3,000,000 US deaths. To put that number in perspective, it's more than the population of Mississippi. I don't think it'll get anywhere near that bad.

Unfortunately you have politicians hoping for that.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 02:29 PM
i?d follow the guy in this youtube video over an anonymous message board poster

He is a physician who is board certified in three specialties. He also lectures at at least one medical school. He treats a patient population that is THE most vulnerable to this virus on a daily basis. He is one of the sharpest and most up to date docs I've ever run across. I haven't watched the vid but I KNOW Chemosabe is well up on it. He also has a good friend who is working on the virus itself at NIH.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 02:35 PM
He is a physician who is board certified in three specialties. He also lectures at at least one medical school. He treats a patient population that is THE most vulnerable to this virus on a daily basis. He is one of the sharpest and most up to date docs I've ever run across. I haven't watched the vid but I KNOW Chemosabe is well up on it. He also has a good friend who is working on the birus itself at NIH.

I don't agree with Liver on everthing but he's right on with this.

Doggie_Style
03-12-2020, 02:40 PM
I'd bet you all your VCash that the US has 30,000 confirmed cases by the start of Summer. We didn't do enough to contain it initially and it will slowly spread out. Bad take.

Your on!

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 05:24 PM
You think a few weeks of interruption will keep a person from becoming properly trained?

Wow and lol
It depends on where they are in their training and how long the interruption is. Also, to work in this kind of thing IS what they are being trained in is it not?

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 05:28 PM
Liver,

Speaking from someone who has over a decade of medical experience including continuing my education in healthcare, there is a difference between classroom experience and clinical experience. Classroom is where you can be online. Clinical coursework you can include simulation labs to help. They won't suspend clinicals indefinitely so it's not like they will be going the year completely without clinicals. You can definitely balance the two if it comes to that.

I'm speaking from over 3 decades worth. Of healthcare experience. I agree, as long as the do not cut the clinicals short in anyway. If it means they have to go to school longer then that's the way it will have to be.

Apoplectic
03-12-2020, 05:30 PM
He is a physician who is board certified in three specialties. He also lectures at at least one medical school. He treats a patient population that is THE most vulnerable to this virus on a daily basis. He is one of the sharpest and most up to date docs I've ever run across. I haven't watched the vid but I KNOW Chemosabe is well up on it. He also has a good friend who is working on the birus itself at NIH.

so important that he spends time on a message board ???-

guessing this guy doesn?t waste his on the gopher message boards:: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Osterholm

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 06:09 PM
I keep waiting for it

99jc
03-12-2020, 06:14 PM
Why would there be a run on the banks nothing is going to be open to spend it on.

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Why would there be a run on the banks nothing is going to be open to spend it on.

Valid.

BeardoMSU
03-12-2020, 07:04 PM

No you don't. Don't go crazy, Jack.

BeardoMSU
03-12-2020, 07:06 PM
He is a physician who is board certified in three specialties. He also lectures at at least one medical school. He treats a patient population that is THE most vulnerable to this virus on a daily basis. He is one of the sharpest and most up to date docs I've ever run across. I haven't watched the vid but I KNOW Chemosabe is well up on it. He also has a good friend who is working on the virus itself at NIH.

So to be clear, when Fauci says "it's going to get worse before it gets better", your message board friend disagrees with that?

Dawgbite
03-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Gonna need something to wipe with.

BeastMan
03-12-2020, 07:40 PM
I'm speaking from over 3 decades worth. Of healthcare experience. I agree, as long as the do not cut the clinicals short in anyway. If it means they have to go to school longer then that's the way it will have to be.

You always bring this up but have denied being a doctor and a sales rep. Go ahead and let us know what part of the medical field you're in so we know whether to take you serious or not. What do you do and are you currently doing it?

MrKotter
03-12-2020, 08:05 PM
This guy disagrees

Hope you didn't buy into his stats he laid out. Dude left out a lot of info ,which should have been included, to paint an honest picture instead of the scare tactic he chose.

BhamDawg205
03-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Come on Jack... This isn't like war. Where they can just send somebody else's kid to a far off land. This shit is on the home front. It's gonna effect someone close everyone. No matter wealth, status, political party or race.

Dawgpile
03-12-2020, 08:25 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawgbite again.

DownwardDawg
03-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Robot removed my prostate. That robot was guided though by a human, like he was playing Xbox. Medical advancements are awesome.

GreenheadDawg
03-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Robot removed my prostate. That robot was guided though by a human, like he was playing Xbox. Medical advancements are awesome.
The robot is great as long as the surgeon driving it is competent. I unfortunately have to keep patients asleep for 6 hours for a case that could be finished in 2, either laparoscopically or open.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Borrow some shirts from an Ole Miss buddy.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Will not be a run.

dantheman4248
03-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Your on!

Just so you know... that's only an average of 300 cases a day. The fact that we're starting to take testing seriously now and the CDC committed to waiving fees for it means the numbers of people actually getting tested for it is about to skyrocket.

I believe there's already 30,000 people carrying / infected in the states already. It takes so long for symptoms to show up and there is such a lack of testing availability that it's not reported correctly.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 12:50 AM
Why would that happen? This one is unique, and it doesn't involve that.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 01:22 AM
so important that he spends time on a message board ???-

guessing this guy doesn?t waste his on the gopher message boards:: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Osterholm

Ok, you side with the PHD that never has to get into the trenches and treat actual sick people. I side with a well respected clinician who does that every single day. What really SUCKS is that we are actually having this argument.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 01:27 AM
The robot is great as long as the surgeon driving it is competent. I unfortunately have to keep patients asleep for 6 hours for a case that could be finished in 2, either laparoscopically or open.

Yep, the robots are amazing.....but they are still operating on a human being. Gross anatomy, even in an allied health field that I'm in, will humble you. If it didn't, I don't want you treating me for a hangnail.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 01:33 AM

Exactly what I'm talking abut. The robot, is still treating a human being, no matter who is controlling it. Surgery is an art as much as it is a science. Clinicals are absolutely critical. If we are going into a crisis to cut medical (or any other healthcare field) we need to cut it academically, not clinically.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 01:40 AM
So to be clear, when Fauci says "it's going to get worse before it gets better", your message board friend disagrees with that?

Absolutely he does not Nor do I. You are trying to inject politics into this. He doesn't play that game and on this I don't either. Anyone who does is the absolute lowest form of life, that obviously includes you. You disgust me.

PMDawg
03-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Your on!

*You're.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2020, 08:21 AM
Absolutely he does not Nor do I. You are trying to inject politics into this. He doesn't play that game and on this I don't either. Anyone who does is the absolute lowest form of life, that obviously includes you. You disgust me.

Asking if your message board friend disagrees with the gov's leading infectious disease physician and point man on the Coronavirus response team is making it political? How tf so? Jesus...

You're the one acting like a sanctimonious douche, btw.

BeastMan
03-13-2020, 09:24 AM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/XyDj1FyD1LlmzNr3Mb/giphy.gif

BeastMan
03-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Asking if your message board friend disagrees with the gov's leading infectious disease physician and point man on the Coronavirus response team is making it political?

In any thread about anything pertaining to anything in the realm of medicine or healthcare he presents himself as an expert. He lashes out against simple questions instead of reasonably answering. I asked him if he’s a doctor or medical sales rep in an old thread on the poli board and he said no. I’m really curious to what he does that makes him the supreme authority on anything even remotely related to medicine. My first guess is he’s retired at whatever he used to do.

Doggie_Style
03-13-2020, 10:12 AM
Just so you know... that's only an average of 300 cases a day. The fact that we're starting to take testing seriously now and the CDC committed to waiving fees for it means the numbers of people actually getting tested for it is about to skyrocket.

I believe there's already 30,000 people carrying / infected in the states already. It takes so long for symptoms to show up and there is such a lack of testing availability that it's not reported correctly.

Nope.....and over 60% of cases in the US are confined to 4 urban areas. It is taking countries only 4-5 weeks to contain this illness once significant numbers are affected. There are a lot of factors in play including activity levels, population density, weather and how proactive the community is in prevention. My math still puts us in the 20-25K total cases by summer.

Apoplectic
03-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Ok, you side with the PHD that never has to get into the trenches and treat actual sick people. I side with a well respected clinician who does that every single day. What really SUCKS is that we are actually having this argument.

you fail to understand my point being wtf is this genius doing spending time on a message board during the health crisis of our generation

Johnson85
03-13-2020, 10:42 AM
In any thread about anything pertaining to anything in the realm of medicine or healthcare he presents himself as an expert. He lashes out against simple questions instead of reasonably answering. I asked him if he’s a doctor or medical sales rep in an old thread on the poli board and he said no. I’m really curious to what he does that makes him the supreme authority on anything even remotely related to medicine. My first guess is he’s retired at whatever he used to do.

Podiatrist.**

Seriously though I think PT? Or was it NP?

BulldogDX55
03-13-2020, 10:57 AM
Nope.....and over 60% of cases in the US are confined to 4 urban areas. It is taking countries only 4-5 weeks to contain this illness once significant numbers are affected. There are a lot of factors in play including activity levels, population density, weather and how proactive the community is in prevention. My math still puts us in the 20-25K total cases by summer.

I'd hold off on any predictions of growth until we actually have readily available tests, which won't be fore another two weeks.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Podiatrist.**

Seriously though I think PT? Or was it NP?

I'm thinking he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express***

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express***

LOL, good one! I don't know about him but I use Choice Hotels, does that count for anything? HA!

Cooterpoot
03-13-2020, 12:15 PM
2 new cases in Hattiesburg

chef dixon
03-13-2020, 12:23 PM

The suspension of school is not a big deal. A lot of medical professionals (doctors specifically) learn very little about truly taking care of patients in the actual school part, whether that's in the books or clinical.

Doggie_Style
03-13-2020, 12:43 PM
I'd hold off on any predictions of growth until we actually have readily available tests, which won't be fore another two weeks.

There are a ton of people who don't need a test clamoring to get one. Just like the idiots clearing toilet paper and canned goods off the shelf.......have fun eating all that Chicken of the Sea for the next 3 years.....LOL.....Anyone who meets basic criteria are getting tested and most of those come back negative. I'm all for testing anyone and everyone as soon as we can get ramped up to do it and keeping everyone at home for the next few weeks. The sooner we can contain this the better.

defiantdog
03-13-2020, 12:44 PM
AL finally welcomed its first case

msstate7
03-13-2020, 12:47 PM
2 new cases in Hattiesburg

Do they have a tie to original case there?

dantheman4248
03-13-2020, 12:49 PM
There are a ton of people who don't need a test clamoring to get one. Just like the idiots clearing toilet paper and canned goods off the shelf.......have fun eating all that Chicken of the Sea for the next 3 years.....LOL.....Anyone who meets basic criteria are getting tested and most of those come back negative. I'm all for testing anyone and everyone as soon as we can get ramped up to do it and keeping everyone at home for the next few weeks. The sooner we can contain this the better.

For every 100 people that want to get tested, i'd wager at least 1 is infected at this point. Being conservative and saying there's only 1% of the country that is clamoring for being tested themselves, let's do some quick maths.

300,000,000 * 1% * 1% = 30,000

That's just being super conservative. This shit has hit New York man. Even if it only has .1% of the NY metro... that's 20,000. You're woefully underestimating this.

Doggie_Style
03-13-2020, 01:15 PM
For every 100 people that want to get tested, i'd wager at least 1 is infected at this point. Being conservative and saying there's only 1% of the country that is clamoring for being tested themselves, let's do some quick maths.

300,000,000 * 1% * 1% = 30,000

That's just being super conservative. This shit has hit New York man. Even if it only has .1% of the NY metro... that's 20,000. You're woefully underestimating this.

Dude.....currently 95 people in NYC have confirmed coronavirus......that's .0012% of the population and two orders of magnitude away from your anally extracted numbers.....go eat your tunafish**

dantheman4248
03-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Dude.....currently 95 people in NYC have confirmed coronavirus......that's .0012% of the population and two orders of magnitude away from your anally extracted numbers.....go eat your tunafish**

You keep missing the fact that we can't / aren't testing everyone that should and could be tested. There's 95 confirmed cases. How many more are unable to be tested? That's the key ingredient you are missing. You're trusting that we have the capability to test everyone that has it right now. We don't. We've admitted we don't. It will be at best two weeks before we can.

FISHDAWG
03-13-2020, 02:09 PM
AL finally welcomed its first case

Family reunions all over the state need to be canceled

Apoplectic
03-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Family reunions all over the state need to be canceled

good thing it?s not football season - self worth would be at an all time low

MrKotter
03-13-2020, 03:19 PM
You keep missing the fact that we can't / aren't testing everyone that should and could be tested. There's 95 confirmed cases. How many more are unable to be tested? That's the key ingredient you are missing. You're trusting that we have the capability to test everyone that has it right now. We don't. We've admitted we don't. It will be at best two weeks before we can.

Just curious, what good is all your panicking and worrying doing anybody? Take the steps you feel comfortable with to keep safe and chill out. Worry and panic accomplishes nothing

ScoobaDawg
03-13-2020, 07:39 PM
Just curious, what good is all your panicking and worrying doing anybody? Take the steps you feel comfortable with to keep safe and chill out. Worry and panic accomplishes nothing

Why do you take his posts as panicking. He's stating facts concerning how vastly the testing has been screwed up and we don't have a true idea of how many people are infected.

Joebob
03-13-2020, 10:02 PM
Why would that happen? This one is unique, and it doesn't involve that.

You can never completely rule out something like that though, depending on how far panic spreads to other financial markets. Doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not, panics throw rationality out the window. What most people don’t realize is how totally effed up financial markets have been for the last twelve years, so it’s not impossible those markets could start to implode and spread panic everywhere. I don’t see that happening, but man, have you seen what’s happening to bank stock prices the last few days?

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 10:05 PM
More fear mongering from a panic person. Congrats.

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Why do you take his posts as panicking. He's stating facts concerning how vastly the testing has been screwed up and we don't have a true idea of how many people are infected.

You are obviously panicking. Every post you make on this screams it.

Joebob
03-13-2020, 10:21 PM
More fear mongering from a panic person. Congrats.

Not trying to fear monger anything, I hope people don’t take it that way.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2020, 10:48 PM
You are obviously panicking. Every post you make on this screams it.

Your prescription, doctor**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsrE-9CLFg

Cooterpoot
03-13-2020, 11:29 PM
Do they have a tie to original case there?

Nope. One is a 65 yr old woman who got it in NC and is at Merit. The other an older man that got it in FL. He is quarantined at home.

Mjoelner34
03-13-2020, 11:40 PM
I'm about to make a run on my bank and dump it in the market after a few more days of tanking.

Dawgology
03-13-2020, 11:48 PM
I'm about to make a run on my bank and dump it in the market after a few more days of tanking.

Looks like it's bouncing back pretty good now. Great day

Mjoelner34
03-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Speaking of testing, I read an article today that said that it was discovered that the test initially used in China returned a 40% false negative result meaning 4 out of every 10 that actually had it tested negative.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 12:14 AM
Speaking of testing, I read an article today that said that it was discovered that the test initially used in China returned a 40% false negative result meaning 4 out of every 10 that actually had it tested negative.

That would mean it's much less lethal.

deadheaddawg
03-14-2020, 02:11 AM
Is it pride that makes people think they have to act like things are A OK because they don't want people to think they are panicking.

Staying homes as much as possible for the next couple of weeks isn't panicking. Being aware this could be very very bad. Isn't panicking.

It's being aware of what is going on. It's taking the time to look at what is happening in other countries right now.

There has to be a reason people willfully ignore smart advice from people that are actually trained on the subject.

revdrdawg
03-14-2020, 07:26 AM
The younger generations don't see any difference between cash and their debit card (or credit card, for that matter). They don't even like dealing with cash. They don't want cash.

The older generation that might remember a real bank run is hunkered down and afraid to go out. Taking cash out of the bank means they would have to keep it at home and that would make them more afraid.

viverlibre
03-14-2020, 08:21 AM
The younger generations don't see any difference between cash and their debit card (or credit card, for that matter). They don't even like dealing with cash. They don't want cash.

The older generation that might remember a real bank run is hunkered down and afraid to go out. Taking cash out of the bank means they would have to keep it at home and that would make them more afraid.

I'm mid 50s and rarely deal in cash. Even my 85-year-old mother uses credit cards. We're no longer a cash society.

Dawgbite
03-14-2020, 09:02 AM
I'm mid 50s and rarely deal in cash. Even my 85-year-old mother uses credit cards. We're no longer a cash society.

Society may not be but I’m prepared. I’ve been stashing cash for years. It may be foolish not investing that money but at times like this, it seems pretty smart. When I say cash, I’m not talking about numbers on a bank statement, I’m talking about silver coins and hundred dollar bills in a safety deposit box and a safe.

dawgs
03-14-2020, 10:11 AM
My sister works for the state of Washington in their elderly care admin office. They have been at the center of this for nearly 2 months trying to prepare. She's been in meetings with people who hours later were quarantined because they'd had direct contact with someone who tested positive. Thursday she started feeling like shit, headaches, dry cough, etc. she tried getting tested and was told she's not a high enough risk to get one of their few tests available. She's trying to do online consultations with healthcare providers to get unofficially diagnosed anyway and can't even get through to them, she'll be arbitrarily moved up and down the queue, switched from one doctor's waiting list to another, and then just canceled altogether. Went through that cycle 5 times yesterday after spending hours on the phone and being told the online consultation was her best bet. She's in her mid-30s good health, so she's hunkered down in her apartment and will probably be fine, but it absolutely unacceptable how ****ed trump and company have handled the severity of this situation (my sisters boss said the fed testing was "a complete and utter failure" 2 weeks ago, and sure as **** it's played out like that). so there's a likely case right there that's not official for those only looking at official numbers.

dawgs
03-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Is it pride that makes people think they have to act like things are A OK because they don't want people to think they are panicking.

Staying homes as much as possible for the next couple of weeks isn't panicking. Being aware this could be very very bad. Isn't panicking.

It's being aware of what is going on. It's taking the time to look at what is happening in other countries right now.

There has to be a reason people willfully ignore smart advice from people that are actually trained on the subject.

There's a line at the end of the movie sorry to bother you that really hit home for me and explains why people react to abnormal shit the way they do.

"If you get shown a problem, but have no idea how to control it, then you just decide to get used to the problem."

I think that explains the psych behind folks calling everything an "overreaction".

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Lmao what kind of gaslight. I'm not "panicking". I'm venting my frustration. I'm angry. Our response as a nation to this has been awful. It's going to cost more lives than it should have.

I'm recognizing where we are failing. Educating those who aren't taking this serious enough to prevent this if it were to happen again. Cause I swear if I lose a loved one (especially my grandmother) to this dumb virus, I will flip shit.

Yes, this virus is "weaker than the common flu." You're not wrong for pointing that out, you're missing the point. For the flu, we have vaccines and medication specifically made to combat it. For coronavirus we really don't. So while the flu unchecked may have a (the following are hypothetical numbers, we don't know the true numbers so I'm using placeholders to show an example) 10% kill rate, when it's checked with our heathcare system and good treatment it's only 0.01%. On the flip side the coronavirus unchecked could be a 0.5% kill rate unchecked. With our monitoring at this point we can cut that in half to 0.25%. If that's how it is then the flu is 20X more lethal than coronavirus. But if you're going to the doctor than coronavirus is 25X more lethal than the flu.

That's why we have to take this seriously. We have next to nothing to combat this specifically yet. And we sat on our ass and let this thing go uncontained when it's supposed to be invisible but in your system for up to 9 days before showing any symptoms (could have changed since then, but that was the thought weeks ago.) We had that knowledge, ignored it, sat on our ass, and now it's too late for at least 50 Americans and a number that will climb every day.

There's nothing panicking or worrying can do at this point. Anger and ensuring that whoever our leaders (as i've stated elsewhere, i don't care you political side. this should be a nonpartisan issue. either you want to help everyone american or you want to hurt every american) are prepared for this and give Americans the resources and ability to survive a pandemic.

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 10:31 AM
There's a line at the end of the movie sorry to bother you that really hit home for me and explains why people react to abnormal shit the way they do.

"If you get shown a problem, but have no idea how to control it, then you just decide to get used to the problem."

I think that explains the psych behind folks calling everything an "overreaction".

So much this. Great movie and perfect application of that message. That quote is very relevant now. Bravo.

dawgs
03-14-2020, 10:42 AM
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

For the folks into data and numbers. Basically with extreme social distancing and lockdowns, mortality rate can stay under 1%, but once the hospitals get overrun mortality rate goes up to ~4%. If we wait until hospitals are already overrun to get concerned/panic/overreact then we are too late. Really we are probably already too late as folks start to develop symptoms over the next 1-2 weeks from contact prior to the "leader" of the country taking it seriously.

hp22
03-14-2020, 12:38 PM
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

For the folks into data and numbers. Basically with extreme social distancing and lockdowns, mortality rate can stay under 1%, but once the hospitals get overrun mortality rate goes up to ~4%. If we wait until hospitals are already overrun to get concerned/panic/overreact then we are too late. Really we are probably already too late as folks start to develop symptoms over the next 1-2 weeks from contact prior to the "leader" of the country taking it seriously.

The hospital/medical infrastructure is about to undergo a massive stress test. The lack of available treatment is a real risk. And I salute the private sector and sport league postponements. I hope it woke our leadership up....as that has been a circus response with contradictory information.

Santiago
03-14-2020, 02:22 PM
My sister works for the state of Washington in their elderly care admin office. They have been at the center of this for nearly 2 months trying to prepare. She's been in meetings with people who hours later were quarantined because they'd had direct contact with someone who tested positive. Thursday she started feeling like shit, headaches, dry cough, etc. she tried getting tested and was told she's not a high enough risk to get one of their few tests available. She's trying to do online consultations with healthcare providers to get unofficially diagnosed anyway and can't even get through to them, she'll be arbitrarily moved up and down the queue, switched from one doctor's waiting list to another, and then just canceled altogether. Went through that cycle 5 times yesterday after spending hours on the phone and being told the online consultation was her best bet. She's in her mid-30s good health, so she's hunkered down in her apartment and will probably be fine, but it absolutely unacceptable how ****ed trump and company have handled the severity of this situation (my sisters boss said the fed testing was "a complete and utter failure" 2 weeks ago, and sure as **** it's played out like that). so there's a likely case right there that's not official for those only looking at official numbers.

I hear what you are saying, and read everything from every side, but have questions(honestly asking)
1. Trump had a travel ban on China Jan 31, and Europe just a few days ago.....both were criticized heavily by democrats. Did they F it up also by criticizing the travel bans? What if we followed the democrats comments and not had the travel bans? I cannot follow on here who is giving facts and who is starting to let their political leanings get into the comments.
2. The government testing procedures etc. are government regulations already in place for years, and red tape for any private company to just step in and provide testing etc, right? At least the way I hear it. And so Trump recently has put pressure to allow private companies to get involved. Honestly correct me here if I misunderstand.
3. To me these intermingling of political comments is exactly why people are questioning any data being presented, and why it could be harmful to the public on really trusting who is providing data only

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 02:39 PM
I hear what you are saying, and read everything from every side, but have questions(honestly asking)
1. Trump had a travel ban on China Jan 31, and Europe just a few days ago.....both were criticized heavily by democrats. Did they F it up also by criticizing the travel bans? What if we followed the democrats comments and not had the travel bans? I cannot follow on here who is giving facts and who is starting to let their political leanings get into the comments.
2. The government testing procedures etc. are government regulations already in place for years, and red tape for any private company to just step in and provide testing etc, right? At least the way I hear it. And so Trump recently has put pressure to allow private companies to get involved. Honestly correct me here if I misunderstand.
3. To me these intermingling of political comments is exactly why people are questioning any data being presented, and why it could be harmful to the public on really trusting who is providing data only

1. Could you source that. I want to know who thinks it's a bad idea. The only criticism that I've been aware is how long it took to get to this point.

2. It's not about private testing or any of that. It's the fact that American's can't afford it. Katie Porter had to hold the director of the CDC's feet to the fire for him to commit to using an authority he had known about for a week to allow for free testing of the American people. The procedures being set the way they are for years is a cheap argument. Why do you think one of the furthest right countries is behind all these leftist countries on our testing policies and procedures. It's got to be because of the left stopping the right from being progressive****

3. Politics always makes people think there is an agenda. The only agenda I have is protecting my loved ones. The leaders in office currently have shown they pose a direct threat to that with their incompetence on this issue. They either need to adapt and learn or be replaced. The fact of the matter is that healthcare shouldn't be an issue here. We shouldn't have to side with pro-choice abortion just because we have the common sense that we should all be able to survive getting sick. Shouldn't have to side against your religious belief that a marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman to support your religious belief that you should support thy neighbor.

It's simple really. The leaders of this country have proven themselves unfit to handle a national emergency correctly. Regardless of anything else, they should be replaced with people who will enact policies that will better protect and serve this country. Regardless of political affiliation.

TUSK
03-14-2020, 03:05 PM
https://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/63f36cd71a7ad631c004d4bcbebad5cd7675c7c9_r.jpg

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Society may not be but I’m prepared. I’ve been stashing cash for years. It may be foolish not investing that money but at times like this, it seems pretty smart. When I say cash, I’m not talking about numbers on a bank statement, I’m talking about silver coins and hundred dollar bills in a safety deposit box and a safe.

Better to stash gold / precious metals imo. The value of a dollar is fluid. Metals and materials keep going up.

AlSwearengen
03-14-2020, 03:18 PM
1. Could you source that. I want to know who thinks it's a bad idea. The only criticism that I've been aware is how long it took to get to this point.

2. It's not about private testing or any of that. It's the fact that American's can't afford it. Katie Porter had to hold the director of the CDC's feet to the fire for him to commit to using an authority he had known about for a week to allow for free testing of the American people. The procedures being set the way they are for years is a cheap argument. Why do you think one of the furthest right countries is behind all these leftist countries on our testing policies and procedures. It's got to be because of the left stopping the right from being progressive****

3. Politics always makes people think there is an agenda. The only agenda I have is protecting my loved ones. The leaders in office currently have shown they pose a direct threat to that with their incompetence on this issue. They either need to adapt and learn or be replaced. The fact of the matter is that healthcare shouldn't be an issue here. We shouldn't have to side with pro-choice abortion just because we have the common sense that we should all be able to survive getting sick. Shouldn't have to side against your religious belief that a marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman to support your religious belief that you should support thy neighbor.

It's simple really. The leaders of this country have proven themselves unfit to handle a national emergency correctly. Regardless of anything else, they should be replaced with people who will enact policies that will better protect and serve this country. Regardless of political affiliation.

1. You aren’t seriously asking for a source are you? “Travel bans are racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and just mean”. That is the automatic response from democrats.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-14-2020, 03:26 PM
That would mean it's much less lethal.

Would shave close to a percent off the 3% number people are reporting from China.

hacker
03-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Italy is at 7.1% death rate at the moment for what it's worth.

17660 total cases
1266 deaths

3 weeks ago they only had 3 total cases.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 03:50 PM
Italy is at 7.1% death rate at the moment for what it's worth.

17660 total cases
1266 deaths

3 weeks ago they only had 3 total cases.

21157 total cases
1441 deaths
6.8% death rate

Hoops on SPS said the mean death age in Italy is 81. Their seniors are being hammered

shoeless joe
03-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Anyone else heard that doctors around the state think this bug has been here since before thanksgiving? My family got hit with something very similar in January. Hack cough...fever...headache...just general tiredness. Feel a lot better in about 4 days but not back 100% for a week or so.

I’m not saying I think we had it. But I had a medical friend say that now they think we may have. As they started seeing a spike in those symptoms with negative flu and strep tests since christmas.

The argument against it is that we were back to work/school in less than a week and I’m not sure we infected a pile of folks. Just curious if this is just one persons theory or something the medical community is truly offering up.

dawgs
03-14-2020, 03:58 PM
1. You aren’t seriously asking for a source are you? “Travel bans are racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and just mean”. That is the automatic response from democrats.

I think the China ban was more of "thats too late and not going to solve the issue and we aren't doing enough here now, so this ban is mostly optics cause it's already here" criticism, but the right definitely assume any criticism is calling them racist if one person remotely mentions race as a part of the criticism and misses the big picture.

The criticism of the Europe ban was that it wasn't clear what the **** he meant. They had to issue statements after the fact not just clarifying what it meant, but contradicting stuff trump explicitly stated in his speech, like that the ban applied to goods, then it didn't apply to goods. Biggest political moment since 9/11 and he can't even tell us a clear policy.

Dolphus Raymond
03-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Incompetent leadership is a damn understatement. Our response and the rhetoric from the top has been embarrassing and dangerous. Good God stop enabling this.
?Buy the ticket, take the ride.?

dawgs
03-14-2020, 04:03 PM
Anyone else heard that doctors around the state think this bug has been here since before thanksgiving? My family got hit with something very similar in January. Hack cough...fever...headache...just general tiredness. Feel a lot better in about 4 days but not back 100% for a week or so.

I’m not saying I think we had it. But I had a medical friend say that now they think we may have. As they started seeing a spike in those symptoms with negative flu and strep tests since christmas.

The argument against it is that we were back to work/school in less than a week and I’m not sure we infected a pile of folks. Just curious if this is just one persons theory or something the medical community is truly offering up.

There was a doctor in Seattle wanting to test flu tests for it since January but kept getting rebuffed by the feds. Finally broke the law and did it anyway at the end of February and found at least 2 cases in Seattle that were picked up in the community, not thru travel, so it's been around since at least around New Years.

hacker
03-14-2020, 04:03 PM
21157 total cases
1441 deaths
6.8% death rate

Hoops on SPS said the mean death age in Italy is 81. Their seniors are being hammered

Dang my numbers were from this morning.

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Yes I am. Because in this scenario the bans absolutely are not and I don't believe for a second that that is the actual criticism. Again the only criticism of this is how poorly it has been handled, how too little too late it is, or how it's not even clear what we banned.

So again, source it. Do that instead of making it up in your head that that is what any criticism is. Help me not vote for the idiots that seriously said what you claimed OR help yourself realize that they don't exist. That's what research will accomplish. Either way, we both win when you do some research here. So please, source it.

DownwardDawg
03-14-2020, 04:18 PM

I really think my granddaughter had it a month ago. High fever and looked like death. Felt horrible and vomiting. Tested negative for flu and put on antibiotics and sent home for the usual treatments. A few days later she was back at the Dr's office. Really high fever again, 104. Tested negative again. Breathing treatments, etc.... Was told if fever didn't ease in another 24 hours she would be put in hospital. It started breaking the next day but remained a little high for days. Took several days but she was back to normal soon.
Now my wife, who is a nurse at a hospital where there have been confirmed cases, is home sick with fever. She's just toughing it out whatever it is!!

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 04:21 PM

I got knocked on my ass last fall. Sore throat, fever, etc. Swore up and down it was streptococcus or flu. Both were negative. They said it was a virus and told me to rest. Didn't get a confirmation what virus. I was out of commission for a week. Idk if it was this specifically but it was damn close if not. That was back in late october.

dantheman4248
03-14-2020, 04:24 PM
I really think my granddaughter had it a month ago. High fever and looked like death. Felt horrible and vomiting. Tested negative for flu and put on antibiotics and sent home for the usual treatments. A few days later she was back at the Dr's office. Really high fever again, 104. Tested negative again. Breathing treatments, etc.... Was told if fever didn't ease in another 24 hours she would be put in hospital. It started breaking the next day but remained a little high for days. Took several days but she was back to normal soon.
Now my wife, who is a nurse at a hospital where there have been confirmed cases, is home sick with fever. She's just toughing it out whatever it is!!

No disrespect because I understand the thought of toughing out illnesses. But please get her tested as soon as possible. If she is a nurse and in contact with people with several people with weakened immune systems then even when she starts to feel better she could still be contagious and infect them. This is why we need more testing.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 04:39 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/yYHSmpq3/0-D256-AF6-FB19-42-EE-8055-999-DBB522-AAB.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-age-older-people-higher-risk-2020-2

dawgday166
03-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Got a friend of mine that back in February was wiped out for about 5 days. 65 year old smoker. Flu tests came back negative. So I think you may be right. I had maybe a milder case maybe, since I had some chills around that time myself and felt sluggish and real tired. Wasn't wiped out like him tho.

ETA: I'm also inclined to think now that the death rate is so high relative to the flu because there may have been a whole lot of cases that haven't been diagnosed. The death rate is just against diagnosed cases.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 05:05 PM
I would really like these rumors to be true. If it's been here for 2 months, the death rate for this virus isn't as high as we think right now. Personally, I think it (death rate) will drop considerably over the next month bc I think many more have it than we have documented

dawgday166
03-14-2020, 05:09 PM
I would really like these rumors to be true. If it's been here for 2 months, the death rate for this virus isn't as high as we think right now. Personally, I think it (death rate) will drop considerably over the next month bc I think many more have it than we have documented

Agree. My friend also had a friend of his that had same thing he did and had negative flu tests. Neither of them could figure out what was wrong with them. My friend said he felt horrible and after looking at COVID-19 symptoms, said that is exactly what he was experiencing.

BeastMan
03-14-2020, 05:11 PM
Has everyone in this thread seen the Joe Rogan episode on this yet? It’s the best info out there and isn’t political at all

dawgday166
03-14-2020, 05:21 PM
Has everyone in this thread seen the Joe Rogan episode on this yet? It?s the best info out there and isn?t political at all

Just watched part of it. Why is it the "best info"? Cause it seems this may be the next bubonic plague according the the infectious disease doctor he had on there.

I'm also inclined to believe the "rates" over in China are dropping cause now that they're aware of it, people are actually getting tested for it now and have been for a while over there. And the rates that are soaring (like here in US) are because people are just now starting to get tested for it.

dawgs
03-14-2020, 05:22 PM

The issue is that if we don't act now with unprecedented measures, it will be high. Go back to the article with all the data I posted earlier. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, death rate shoots up closer to 4%. Keep things manageable and it stays under 1%. The issue isn't that most people will die, it's that thousands more will die unnecessarily if we don't take drastic steps to slow it down now. We are already going to have thousands die unnecessarily for failing to take those steps sooner.

TUSK
03-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Has everyone in this thread seen the Joe Rogan episode on this yet? It’s the best info out there and isn’t political at all

The JRE rocks... Terrific, insightful content most times....

yjnkdawg
03-14-2020, 07:15 PM
I don't know if TN has any laws concerning this, but I hope they are prosecuted if possible. I also imagine the IRS may have some interest in this.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tennessee-man-sitting-on-almost-18000-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

dawgoneyall
03-14-2020, 07:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeh054-Hx1U

Jack Lambert
03-14-2020, 07:50 PM
I say more power to them and less power to the dumb asses who buy from them. Hell soap and water does the same thing.

notsofarawaydawg
03-14-2020, 07:51 PM
World map of Coronavirus (https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6)

ScoobaDawg
03-14-2020, 07:56 PM
Alright guys.. let's keep all the covid-19 stuff in this thread. and keep the politics out. you wanna talk politics go to the new board. if not, I'll keep this on topic.

Dawgology
03-14-2020, 08:42 PM

I?m not saying I think we had it. But I had a medical friend say that now they think we may have. As they started seeing a spike in those symptoms with negative flu and strep tests since christmas.

The argument against it is that we were back to work/school in less than a week and I?m not sure we infected a pile of folks. Just curious if this is just one persons theory or something the medical community is truly offering up.

My wife and I had something that carried those same symptoms back the first week in January. Knocked us on our butts for two weeks. Tested for flu, strep, bacterial, and it came back as unknown virus. We were talking about this last night. Our two young kids never got sick though. It's like they were immune.

ETA: at that time my LPN said a 3rd strain of flu seemed to be going around that they didn't have a vaccine for.

RocketDawg
03-14-2020, 08:56 PM
A NASA employee in Huntsville has tested positive, so all employees are now told to work from home. There's a case in neighboring Limestone County but it's not publically known if it's the same person.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/03/marshall-space-flight-center-employee-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

RocketDawg
03-14-2020, 08:58 PM
My wife and I had something that carried those same symptoms back the first week in January. Knocked us on our butts for two weeks. Tested for flu, strep, bacterial, and it came back as unknown virus. We were talking about this last night. Our two young kids never got sick though. It's like they were immune.

ETA: at that time my LPN said a 3rd strain of flu seemed to be going around that they didn't have a vaccine for.

I remember somebody posting about having an unknown flu virus a couple months or so ago. Not sure if it was you or Shoeless Joe or someone else. I read somewhere that the first case in China was sometime in late November but they didn't release the information.

shoeless joe
03-14-2020, 09:07 PM

My 5 yr old had whatever it was. What was weird with her was the fever. It was 4 days until it was completely gone. My wife had it the worst. She was down for about 5 days. I felt puny for a few days then had a fever one afternoon and nite. Was a week before I was myself. I didn?t have a cough. My youngest...a toddler...never seemed sick. I didn?t get tested but wife and daughter were negative for flu and strep.

Again...just curious if this is a widely accepted theory in the medical community or just anecdotal at this point.

Commercecomet24
03-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Yes it's been being talked about for the last couple of weeks that this has been here since around October. My wife, my boss, and multiple friends had illnesses in November and December that had the symptoms being described now. All were tested for flu and strep and was negative. All were told just viral infection of some type treated with steroids and other meds took them all about 2 weeks to fully recover. When I'm in Birmingham next week I plan on asking the drs, nurses and healthcare admins that I see their opinion.

shoeless joe
03-14-2020, 09:10 PM
Yes it's been being talked about for the last couple of weeks that this has been here since around October. My wife, my boss, and multiple friends had illnesses in November and December that had the symptoms being described now. All were tested for flu and strep and was negative. All were told just viral infection of some type treated with steroids and other meds took them all about 2 weeks to fully recover. When I'm in Birmingham next week I plan on asking the drs, nurses and healthcare admins that I see their opinion.

Thanks

DownwardDawg
03-14-2020, 09:11 PM
No disrespect because I understand the thought of toughing out illnesses. But please get her tested as soon as possible. If she is a nurse and in contact with people with several people with weakened immune systems then even when she starts to feel better she could still be contagious and infect them. This is why we need more testing.

Yeah sorry. I thought that was a given. No way in Hail would she return to work before getting tested. She has been in communication but it happened at a "good" time. She's off work for a while.

Commercecomet24
03-14-2020, 09:15 PM
Thanks

You're welcome. I'll let you know if they have similar opinion.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Wonder if the test detects if someone has had the virus even if they've gotten over it. If so, there would be a way to test this theory

Dawgology
03-14-2020, 09:32 PM

I would love to know this as well

RocketDawg
03-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Yeah sorry. I thought that was a given. No way in Hail would she return to work before getting tested. She has been in communication but it happened at a "good" time. She's off work for a while.

The drive-thru testing facilities should be pretty widely available pretty soon. I believe they've said locally that you can go without having a doctor order the tests. I have no idea what the tests cost, if anything, or if insurance covers them.

RocketDawg
03-14-2020, 09:41 PM
There seems to be a lot more cases in the northern hemisphere (might be because the southern hemisphere is less "civilized" so less contact and less testing), but it apparently isn't a seasonal thing that will go away with rising temperatures because there are cases along the equator where it stays warm all the time.

Cowbell
03-14-2020, 09:41 PM
According to our family doctor, There were atleast 30 cases of "showing signs of corona" in Dfw today alone that were sent home without testing because they were considered to be of safe health and age class. Supposedly there is a major lack of test kits and so they are only being used on the weak in some parts. Will greatly effect numbers though.
I, like others, do believe this has been around since October based on what I know.

R2Dawg
03-14-2020, 09:47 PM
Tracking the cases is tricky. Many areas are not testing so not showing up. Also many areas don't have as much people movement to spread virus on a global scale. This is why US is so vulnerable as well as all developed countries.

Joebob
03-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Better to stash gold / precious metals imo. The value of a dollar is fluid. Metals and materials keep going up.

Except that gold has been falling like a rock for several days now. Not sure why. Still searching for that reason.

Joebob
03-14-2020, 10:16 PM
We can debate fatality rates for days, but if you want to know how bad this could get if we don’t take it seriously or we can’t get enough test kits (which we’re not), all you have to do is look at Italy. Those doctors and nurses will be carrying scars for years from having to decide who to treat and who not to treat. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody.

msstate7
03-14-2020, 10:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxSp520W/E4-B978-DF-219-A-44-EB-AB92-C78-ED4046-CC7.jpg (https://postimg.cc/q6JhTprB)

Crazy how it really stings places like Italy, and then this place pretty much goes unscathed. Wish there were more data on age, sex, healthy/unhealthy on the cases

Tbonewannabe
03-14-2020, 11:20 PM

Not saying any of the numbers are correct but I don't believe anything out of China or Russia. Neither are truthful about anything.

Bothrops
03-14-2020, 11:30 PM
Newfoundland and Labrador has a case, Christ.

dawgday166
03-15-2020, 12:21 AM
Not saying any of the numbers are correct but I don't believe anything out of China or Russia. Neither are truthful about anything.

So you believe what comes out of US media LOL.

dawgs
03-15-2020, 12:33 AM

China also had the military patrolling the streets of Wuhan and surrounding area to keep people locked in their homes for the last 2 months.

Baffles my mind people make comments like "only 17000 cases in Italy and it's like the flu, big whoop", well it's only not 100x that cause people are locked in their homes. And at this point if we don't do the same we are ****ed.

msstate7
03-15-2020, 12:36 AM
China also had the military patrolling the streets of Wuhan and surrounding area to keep people locked in their homes for the last 2 months.

First cases there were mid-November though, so that's 2 months with no quarantine

dawgs
03-15-2020, 12:46 AM
First cases there were mid-November though, so that's 2 months with no quarantine

And as said above, wouldn't trust any numbers out of China.

Maroonthirteen
03-15-2020, 06:59 AM
Back in January, I have a friend that had a terrible cough for over a week and felt really tired for days. My friend went to the DR. No flu. No strep. The Dr said sinus infection. My friend didn't have a fever. But they had a terrible cough. Crazy bad cough. Anyway, I've was around this person everyday during this Illness. I've experience no symptoms. So maybe it just was a sinus infection but.... who knows now.

hacker
03-15-2020, 07:38 AM
It hasn't been around since October. You can effectively date the first appearance in humans through mutations. The mutations line up with the first patient in Wuhan in late November / early December.

But I do think it's fair for you to theorize about your illnesses from that point on. Would not shock me in the least if it's been going around undetected for a while.

hacker
03-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Some other news: an older Japanese man who was infected on the Diamond Princess cruise, who later recovered and tested negative, has tested positive for a second time. So it appears you can get infected more than once. The virus has already mutated into two separate strains, so it's also possible he was infected by one and then later infected by the other.

Churchill
03-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Recently, Opthamologists have been warmed that as people show up at their office with Conjunctivitis (pinkeye) to be vigilant of the possibility of it being a symptom of Covid 19. I am aware that Conjunctivitis can sometimes accompany other respiratory viruses but I've had a number over the years and never had pinkeye. I got very sick in Nov. (much as you described...but not the flu) and it was accompanied by pinkeye. If you read this...throw this in the mix.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2020, 10:28 AM
Just saw where a bunch of fake tests were seized at LAX. I can't tell you how badly I want to take the assholes that were trying to get these in the country to rip people off and stake them on the biggest fire ant hill I can find.

Commercecomet24
03-15-2020, 05:59 PM
Recently, Opthamologists have been warmed that as people show up at their office with Conjunctivitis (pinkeye) to be vigilant of the possibility of it being a symptom of Covid 19. I am aware that Conjunctivitis can sometimes accompany other respiratory viruses but I've had a number over the years and never had pinkeye. I got very sick in Nov. (much as you described...but not the flu) and it was accompanied by pinkeye. If you read this...throw this in the mix.

Will do.

Dawgology
03-15-2020, 06:16 PM
Some other news: an older Japanese man who was infected on the Diamond Princess cruise, who later recovered and tested negative, has tested positive for a second time. So it appears you can get infected more than once. The virus has already mutated into two separate strains, so it's also possible he was infected by one and then later infected by the other.

Where are you getting the info that it has mutated into two strains? That would be an exceptionally fast mutation. Almost unprecedented.

SPMT
03-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Back in January, I have a friend that had a terrible cough for over a week and felt really tired for days. My friend went to the DR. No flu. No strep. The Dr said sinus infection. My friend didn't have a fever. But they had a terrible cough. Crazy bad cough. Anyway, I've was around this person everyday during this Illness. I've experience no symptoms. So maybe it just was a sinus infection but.... who knows now.

I know multiple people that had flu symptoms and bad cough that tested neg for both flu types multiple times. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the had this two months ago.

SPMT
03-15-2020, 06:36 PM
Reference the earlier comment on gold, silver still going down.... When a market participant needs liquidity they will sell everything not nailed down. This is indicative of a true bear market.

hacker
03-15-2020, 09:31 PM
Where are you getting the info that it has mutated into two strains? That would be an exceptionally fast mutation. Almost unprecedented.

Academic source:
https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463?searchresult=1

News outlets:
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/scientists-identified-strains-covid-19/story?id=69391954
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

deadheaddawg
03-15-2020, 09:34 PM
Yeah the media has been reporting on the potential mutation for a while. It's actually old news. I've seen it reported often.

We need more people paying attention to what's going on.

deadheaddawg
03-15-2020, 09:47 PM
Stuff is getting real in Italy. People need to start staying home. This can happen here. It's a very legitimate threat

Italians over 80 'will be left to die' as country overwhelmed by coronavirus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italians-over-80-left-die-151225888.html

Coronavirus victims in Italy will be denied access to intensive care if they are aged 80 or more or in poor health should pressure on beds increase, a document prepared by a crisis management unit in Turin propose.

Some patients denied intensive care will in effect be left to die, doctors fear.

The document, produced by the civil protection deparment of the Piedmont region, one of those hardest hit, says: "The criteria for access to intensive therapy in cases of emergency must include age of less than 80 or a score on the Charlson comorbidity Index [which indicates how many other medical conditions the patient has] of less than 5."

Bert Stare
03-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Tupelo has 2 cases tonight. It will be reported in the morning.

hacker
03-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not sure what to think here buddy. Should we tweet at Tupelo people to see if they've heard anything?

hacker
03-15-2020, 10:11 PM
delete

Drewbowski
03-16-2020, 03:38 AM

Bullshit

Johnson85
03-16-2020, 08:44 AM
I know multiple people that had flu symptoms and bad cough that tested neg for both flu types multiple times. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the had this two months ago.

We had a group of friends get sick and test negative for the flu with the inhouse test but the ones that then got the more expensive test that was sent to the lab ended up testing positive. Only a couple of them got the more expensive test b/c the doctors or NPs said a positive test wouldn't change much and the copay for the more expensive test would likely be as expensive as paying for the flu anti-viral out of pocket.

Dawg2003
03-16-2020, 09:04 AM
Over 100 cases in Louisiana is concerning. This stuff can spiral out of control.

hacker
03-16-2020, 10:10 AM
Over 100 cases in Louisiana is concerning. This stuff can spiral out of control.

It's spreading exponentially everywhere. That'll be 1000 in Louisiana by next week.

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 10:19 AM
We will start seeing hospitals fill up to the point it will cause real problems. We had some advanced warning. We had too many people ignore the advanced warning.....advanced waring from experts......hell we have people still ignoring it.
When the stuff does hit the fan, there will be no reason to be surprised. We know it is coming. We have known.

So much of the fallout that is coming will be our own fault. The ironic part is the people being ignorant and running around dismissing this and comparing it to the flu are doing so, because they are actually scared. Scared of "the media" and political parties. And because they fear experts and sound advice they think they need to act tough and ignore reality.

So in everyone's effort to not to "freak out" about the virus and show how "tough" they are......they will let their fear of "the media" and political parties cause problems.

I am honestly a bit shocked that so many people are scared of people with college degrees. Those evil smart guys in their lab coats

BeardoMSU
03-16-2020, 10:25 AM
It's spreading exponentially everywhere. That'll be 1000 in Louisiana by next week.

You see pictures of Bourbon Street two nights ago? Police had to disperse the crowds last night.

Also, pictures at Disney from last night were packed with people. Jesus, people...

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 10:29 AM
And people are going to be shocked in a couple of weeks.....like this came out of the blue or something.....and then they will blame someone else.

It is mind boggling. People just intentionally ignoring the truth.

Johnson85
03-16-2020, 10:31 AM
We will start seeing hospitals fill up to the point it will cause real problems. We had some advanced warning. We had too many people ignore the advanced warning.....advanced waring from experts......hell we have people still ignoring it.
When the stuff does hit the fan, there will be no reason to be surprised. We know it is coming. We have known.

So much of the fallout that is coming will be our own fault. The ironic part is the people being ignorant and running around dismissing this and comparing it to the flu are doing so, because they are actually scared. Scared of "the media" and political parties. And because they fear experts and sound advice they think they need to act tough and ignore reality.

So in everyone's effort to not to "freak out" about the virus and show how "tough" they are......they will let their fear of "the media" and political parties cause problems.

I am honestly a bit shocked that so many people are scared of people with college degrees. Those evil smart guys in their lab coats

People are not scared of the media, they just rightly don't trust it. Our media is garbage. Even if they weren't hardcore partisans willing to spread misinformation if it helps "their side", they are mostly stupid and even the ones that aren't stupid aren't smart enough to understand what they don't understand.

Even if we had some non-garbage media options, another problem is that we are a big country and different areas of the country need to take different precautions. Hell, different parts of different states need to take different precautions. People in New Orleans should probably be engaged in strict social distancing. People in Shreveport may be ok with more moderate social distancing. We just don't have good local media and health authorities that can credibly spread that messaging right now.

Johnson85
03-16-2020, 10:39 AM
You see pictures of Bourbon Street two nights ago? Police had to disperse the crowds last night.

Also, pictures at Disney from last night were packed with people. Jesus, people...

Bourbon is mind boggling. I get Disneyworld. For a lot of those people, it's a big time splurge to go to Disney world and not something they can just do again next year. Telling the kids you're leaving early is probably really hard. Plus presumably a lot of those people had already been in the parks the days before and felt like they were already exposed and helped justify it that way. And they are also probably relatively young so probably did some almost subconscious math about the risks to them personally while ignoring what systemic risk they were contributing to. May be a bad and/or selfish decision, but I get it. We've done Disney and do it more or less on the cheap and it's still expensive enough that I actually feel a little bad thinking about the type of financial sacrifice people are making to give their kids that experience. I have a hard time blaming those parents.

But Bourbon I don't get at all. It's not all it's cracked up to be to begin with and for most people, it's not some once in a lifetime experience, at least because of the cost of doing it. And unlike Disneyworld, you already know New Orleans has become something of a hotspot for corona. Just mind boggling.

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Yeah the media has been reporting on the potential mutation for a while. It's actually old news. I've seen it reported often.

We need more people paying attention to what's going on.

Did you read the articles just posted? It "might" be two strains but so far it appears to just be basic mutations. Not saying that it won't be two strains eventually. It probably will be. Much like the seasonal flu has mutated into two strains now (A&B). I firmly believe the coronavirus will become endemic. It will come back every fall and winter from here on out. Hopefully we have a vaccine by next season.

Interestingly, they have a coronavirus vaccine entering phase 1 testing this week. Most folks don't realize what a scientific achievement that is. We have never been able to push a vaccine to phase 1 in a few months. That's the fastest ever. It's absolutely incredible and 100% on REALLY diligent work by some great scientist who are burning the candle at both ends to save lives. They will largely go unsung but they are real life heros. This goes for the doctors and nurses across the globe who are gathering the data and treating the sick as well.

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Bourbon is mind boggling. I get Disneyworld. For a lot of those people, it's a big time splurge to go to Disney world and not something they can just do again next year. Telling the kids you're leaving early is probably really hard. Plus presumably a lot of those people had already been in the parks the days before and felt like they were already exposed and helped justify it that way. And they are also probably relatively young so probably did some almost subconscious math about the risks to them personally while ignoring what systemic risk they were contributing to. May be a bad and/or selfish decision, but I get it. We've done Disney and do it more or less on the cheap and it's still expensive enough that I actually feel a little bad thinking about the type of financial sacrifice people are making to give their kids that experience. I have a hard time blaming those parents.

But Bourbon I don't get at all. It's not all it's cracked up to be to begin with and for most people, it's not some once in a lifetime experience, at least because of the cost of doing it. And unlike Disneyworld, you already know New Orleans has become something of a hotspot for corona. Just mind boggling.

Maybe because hard liquor kills the coronavirus!!**

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 10:51 AM

I will be interested to see what happens in China in the coming weeks. They are down to about 10 new cases per day now. Down from about 500 per day last week. The quarantine works very well because it limits where the virus can go. With that said, what happens when the quarantine is lifted. Does it jump back up and start all over again or is it effectively gone. If it is contagious as reported (which it appears to be), along with long incubation periods and half-life on surfaces then unless they eradicated every bit of the virus it will all just start right back up again once people begin to mingle once more.

dawgs
03-16-2020, 10:54 AM
People are not scared of the media, they just rightly don't trust it. Our media is garbage. Even if they weren't hardcore partisans willing to spread misinformation if it helps "their side", they are mostly stupid and even the ones that aren't stupid aren't smart enough to understand what they don't understand.

Even if we had some non-garbage media options, another problem is that we are a big country and different areas of the country need to take different precautions. Hell, different parts of different states need to take different precautions. People in New Orleans should probably be engaged in strict social distancing. People in Shreveport may be ok with more moderate social distancing. We just don't have good local media and health authorities that can credibly spread that messaging right now.

People need to learn the difference between facts and opinions/editorializing. Underlying facts with links matter, just because the writer may propose some opinions based on those facts that you disagree with doesn't change the facts. Rarely does the media outright lie about facts, but people call it #fakenews when they don't like the opinion deduced from this facts instead of actually addressing the facts themselves. It's lazy, it's ignorant, and it shows a lack of confidence in one's own intelligence to make cohesive argument against the underlying facts so they attack the messenger instead.

Irondawg
03-16-2020, 11:25 AM
That's no entirely true - often times people in media try to call opinions facts or manipulate information to appear as fact without disclosing the full story.

In this situations there are some hardcore facts but there is also a bunch of speculation mixed into it. The truth is there is a lot we don't know. Obviously any extreme measures are going to produce more guaranteed results and that's what we are after but extreme measure also have extreme repercussions to other things as well so determining proper acceptable risk is complicated.

Johnson85
03-16-2020, 11:29 AM
People need to learn the difference between facts and opinions/editorializing. Underlying facts with links matter, just because the writer may propose some opinions based on those facts that you disagree with doesn't change the facts. Rarely does the media outright lie about facts, but people call it #fakenews when they don't like the opinion deduced from this facts instead of actually addressing the facts themselves. It's lazy, it's ignorant, and it shows a lack of confidence in one's own intelligence to make cohesive argument against the underlying facts so they attack the messenger instead.

Reporters need to learn the difference between facts and editorializing. And it doesn't matter whether you think the media outright lies or not, they are intentionally misleading on a regular basis, so people can't take their reports at face value. They either purposefully provide misleading "context" or just omit facts and context that are relevant b/c it doesn't support their "side". Even assuming people have the ability to track down facts from the sources mentioned in an article (which is not always the case when the sources aren't available online), that's still much less helpful than having credible media providing information people can rely on without having to do independent research.

Commercecomet24
03-16-2020, 11:34 AM
That's no entirely true - often times people in media try to call opinions facts or manipulate information to appear as fact without disclosing the full story.

In this situations there are some hardcore facts but there is also a bunch of speculation mixed into it. The truth is there is a lot we don't know. Obviously any extreme measures are going to produce more guaranteed results and that's what we are after but extreme measure also have extreme repercussions to other things as well so determining proper acceptable risk is complicated.

Very well said. There are extremists on both sides of this argument just like with every issue that the media reports on. The truth generally lies somewhere in the middle.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-16-2020, 11:38 AM
Some of ya'll need to watch this..
https://www.facebook.com/100010121351192/videos/1096685754012126/UzpfSTE1ODY2NTI4OTI6MTAyMTQ4NTgwMTg1NTU3OTI/

Cooterpoot
03-16-2020, 11:48 AM

Take out Nola and it's almost nothing. Avoid the big cities.

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Monroe County officially reported positive case.

Irondawg
03-16-2020, 12:06 PM
There is no doubt that the measures implemented might save lives especially if we avoid hospital overcrowding, but there is also no doubt we're sending a fair amount of people into financial ruin. Once the fear of the virus is over I think that the economic impact on middle to low income families will be the next thing the media jumps on and I'm wondering what the response will be.

I'm generally against govt bailouts but they'll have to do something for the airlines and a few other segments. How the politicians handle it leading into the elections will also be interesting.

BeardoMSU
03-16-2020, 12:20 PM
There is no doubt that the measures implemented might save lives especially if we avoid hospital overcrowding, but there is also no doubt we're sending a fair amount of people into financial ruin. Once the fear of the virus is over I think that the economic impact on middle to low income families will be the next thing the media jumps on and I'm wondering what the response will be.

I'm generally against govt bailouts but they'll have to do something for the airlines and a few other segments. How the politicians handle it leading into the elections will also be interesting.

Yeah, I really feel for people who work hourly wages, such as the service industry. Those places closing down for an extended time period is going to hurt big time.

Maroonthirteen
03-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Next week, will We under a corona virus lockdown such as Italy, France and Spain are today?

BulldogDX55
03-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Next week, will We under a corona virus lockdown such as Italy, France and Spain are today?

We are approximately ten days behind Italy in the spread. They started their lockdown 6 days ago. Expect ours to start by the end of the week because ours is spreading faster than theirs - if our government knows whats good for us.

Things could keep getting worse, as there's a lot of people who don't seem to comprehend how bad this is.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Trying to make it a point to not touch face, and it seems my face is itching non-stop (haha).

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 01:14 PM
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I highly recommend this site. It's just numbers with no ideological affiliation. China appears to have contained this thing. Which is saying a lot for a country of 1.4 billion.

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Some good news. I guess

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1239355969773150209

Maroonthirteen
03-16-2020, 01:29 PM
yeah, I think we will see another spike in the next week because of spring break. However I feel everyone is taking it very serious with the numbers climbing. Downtown Memphis is very thin today. Maybe it has some to do with the weather but this virus scare has the most affect.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 01:31 PM
yeah, I think we will see another spike in the next week because of spring break. However I feel everyone is taking it very serious with the numbers climbing. Downtown Memphis is very thin today. Maybe it has some to do with the weather but this virus scare has the most affect.

How many cases in Memphis?

Maroonthirteen
03-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Only one I have heard of. .....That I have heard of.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 01:40 PM
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I highly recommend this site. It's just numbers with no ideological affiliation. China appears to have contained this thing. Which is saying a lot for a country of 1.4 billion.

Cases per million population is interesting stat on this site. The highest case per million so far is Italy, and it isn't close. Using their number (462.8 case/million), only 0.04% of the population has it. I still think this is very scary, but that does put it in some perspective. In China, 0.0056% have it.

R2Dawg
03-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Cases per million population is interesting stat on this site. The highest case per million so far is Italy, and it isn't close. Using their number (462.8 case/million), only 0.04% of the population has it. I still think this is very scary, but that does put it in some perspective. In China, 0.0056% have it.

Surprisingly, China has leveled off. If we follow trend, we should level off in 3-4 weeks. People must have some discipline about travel. Still too many not smart people traveling all over the southeast. One case shows up in a new town and a new level of panic sets in. Keep this where it is now and we will recover with minimal damage.

I'll say this, everyone is seeing a glimpse of what is to come in the future. Pray, repent and get your heart right before God. That day approaches for all at some point.

Johnson85
03-16-2020, 02:02 PM

I think the only place that has done enough testing to know is South Korea. They also are the only place that shows a ton of people in their 20's with it, which means there's a decent chance a lot of 20 somethings with mild or no symptoms spreading it in other countries.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 02:05 PM
I think the only place that has done enough testing to know is South Korea. They also are the only place that shows a ton of people in their 20's with it, which means there's a decent chance a lot of 20 somethings with mild or no symptoms spreading it in other countries.

South Korea at 0.02%

dantheman4248
03-16-2020, 02:49 PM
7 where are you getting the latest and greatest map update of the US. The NY times one doesn't update near enough. I see that we're at almost 4k now confirmed but certain states are definitely inaccurate.

dawgs
03-16-2020, 02:50 PM
South Korea at 0.02%

They also kept the total numbers down to prevent their healthcare system from being completely overwhelmed. When it get siverwhelmed the number get way uglier quickly.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 03:01 PM
7 where are you getting the latest and greatest map update of the US. The NY times one doesn't update near enough. I see that we're at almost 4k now confirmed but certain states are definitely inaccurate.

I have no idea where to get that info updated in real time (or close). I've been looking at

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I like dawgology's site above better though

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Trump is now saying we should avoid groups larger than 10 people and avoid social functions, and home school for the next 14 days.

Who could have seen this coming. What a surprise

Commercecomet24
03-16-2020, 03:03 PM
I have no idea where to get that info updated in real time (or close). I've been looking at

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I like dawgology's site above better though

https://infection2020.com/

This ones pretty good.

msstate7
03-16-2020, 03:06 PM
https://infection2020.com/

This ones pretty good.

Nice

Jack Lambert
03-16-2020, 03:26 PM
Trump is now saying we should avoid groups larger than 10 people and avoid social functions, and home school for the next 14 days.

So if he had said nothing he would have been criticize. You know as well as I do that you have to continue to say things because not everyone is listening.

Maverick
03-16-2020, 03:27 PM

Agreed, it's not being scared of the media but rather an effect of "crying wolf" which makes people numb to what they are saying. You either have people freaking out or people that ignore it. There doesn't seem to be much in between....

Political Hack
03-16-2020, 03:31 PM
This thread does discuss politics. Good read so far:

https://www.sippolitics.com/forumdisplay.php?16-The-Crucible

Maroonthirteen
03-16-2020, 03:33 PM

Martial law next week.

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 03:36 PM
Agreed, it's not being scared of the media but rather an effect of "crying wolf" which makes people numb to what they are saying. You either have people freaking out or people that ignore it. There doesn't seem to be much in between....

Just curious what is freaking out to you? Buying toliet paper is freaking out.....but people have been saying for several days this isn't the flu. To stay at home......and those people were told they were "freaking out"

The biggest problem with this, was all the people....a bunch on this board..... calling smart sound steps "overreacting"

The problem isn't so much that there wasn't any in between....the problem was people were (and still are) calling things overeacions that are not

The ONLY over reacting is the panic buying. The warning of the seriousness of this isnt. And it wasn't when we started it

When our hospitals go nuts this week and next.....a big portion of the blame goes to the people dismissing this. We had clear warning. All you had to do was be aware

chainedup_Dawg
03-16-2020, 03:55 PM
When our hospitals go nuts this week and next.....a big portion of the blame goes to the people dismissing this. We had clear warning. All you had to do was be aware[/QUOTE]

This is what bothers me...people need to realize if you're healthy that's great! The social distancing and being prepared ISNT ABOUT YOU if you're healthy, it's about the little old lady/man down the street or the guy with diabetes/heart disease that lives next door...we've got to do what we can to stop the spreading of this shit, not for the healthy population but for those who are more susceptible than ourselves. Hell, there is a local doctor who posted on FB "meh, this is just a cold."