PDA

View Full Version : The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

msstate7
03-23-2020, 06:38 PM
How long before we take over the #1 spot in confirmed cases?

Dolphus Raymond
03-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Has anyone heard why Dr. Fauci is now less visible? For the love of God, I hope he is not sick.

hacker
03-23-2020, 07:09 PM
How long before we take over the #1 spot in confirmed cases?

Probably March 27th

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2020, 07:18 PM
I trust God.

My grandparents used to tell me the story of the old man that lived by the levee. They grew up in St Bernard, so I guess everything dealt with hurricanes.

This story has been retold with different versions, but the point is the same.

An old man lived by the levee when a weather report came on WDSU advising that everyone in the Parish needed to evacuate. His family called him and told him that he could stay with them, his response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

A day later, the local police came to his home and advised that it was a mandatory evacuation and that he needed to leave. His response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

The day the hurricane hits he is now on his roof riding out the storm and the water is to his roofline when a coast guard boat comes by and they tell him to get in. His response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

The man dies.

He gets to heaven and the first thing he does is demand audience before God, asking why God let him die. God's response, "I sent you a weather report, a police officer and boat all intended to save you. What in the world are you doing here?"

Please don't be the old man by the levee.

Dolphus Raymond
03-23-2020, 07:31 PM
I love that parable, Hancock. So damn true.

KOdawg1
03-23-2020, 08:35 PM
My grandparents used to tell me the story of the old man that lived by the levee. They grew up in St Bernard, so I guess everything dealt with hurricanes.

This story has been retold with different versions, but the point is the same.

An old man lived by the levee when a weather report came on WDSU advising that everyone in the Parish needed to evacuate. His family called him and told him that he could stay with them, his response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

A day later, the local police came to his home and advised that it was a mandatory evacuation and that he needed to leave. His response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

The day the hurricane hits he is now on his roof riding out the storm and the water is to his roofline when a coast guard boat comes by and they tell him to get in. His response "I put my trust in God, I do all things in his name and he will protect me"

The man dies.

He gets to heaven and the first thing he does is demand audience before God, asking why God let him die. God's response, "I sent you a weather report, a police officer and boat all intended to save you. What in the world are you doing here?"

Please don't be the old man by the levee.

I'm not. He said "trust science, above all else."

I don't trust science above all else. Doesn't mean I don't trust it at all.

BeardoMSU
03-23-2020, 09:48 PM
I'm not. He said "trust science, above all else."

I don't trust science above all else. Doesn't mean I don't trust it at all.

Ok, we get it. No need to be so semantic.

KOdawg1
03-23-2020, 10:01 PM
Ok, we get it. No need to be so semantic.

Not semantic at all. Sorry it bothers you.

The dude wrote a short story because I said I trusted in God. I was just explaining that he was mistaken in thinking that I disregard science or something.

BeardoMSU
03-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Not semantic at all. Sorry it bothers you.

The dude wrote a short story because I said I trusted in God. I was just explaining that he was mistaken in thinking that I disregard science or something.

Stop it, lol. I'm not bothered, in the slightest, but you also replied similarly to another poster who said "listen to medical experts". No one is telling you to abandon your faith, lol.

KOdawg1
03-23-2020, 10:09 PM
Stop it, lol. I'm not bothered, in the slightest, but you also replied similarly to another poster who said "listen to medical experts". No one is telling you to abandon your faith, lol.

You obviously are. Didn't think anyone was.

dantheman4248
03-23-2020, 10:38 PM
Lighthearted note: this board went 1000 comments on a thread in a row without a Shotgun comment. he was the first reply to this thread and that's it.

(Just ribbing ya Shotgun. Thought it was a funny anecdote to see a crazy talkative thread w/o you here.)

KOdawg1
03-23-2020, 10:46 PM
Lighthearted note: this board went 1000 comments on a thread in a row without a Shotgun comment. he was the first reply to this thread and that's it.

(Just ribbing ya Shotgun. Thought it was a funny anecdote to see a crazy talkative thread w/o you here.)

LOL I didn't even notice

hacker
03-23-2020, 11:22 PM
11,121 newly reported cases and 139 deaths in the US (officially)

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 12:11 AM

Every credible report I've read and every physician I have spoken with thinks the next 10 days will be pretty brutal. They hope people keep staying home, because they are hoping it crests in 10 days.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 06:11 AM

46,168 total cases. NY has 23,230. No other state has even 3000. Only 3 other states have over 2000.

hacker
03-24-2020, 06:45 AM
46,168 total cases. NY has 23,230. No other state has even 3000. Only 3 other states have over 2000.

You can pretty much count New Jersey's almost 3000 in with NY too. That's our Wuhan, Lombardia, Madrid currently.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET1FmRRWkAI4QKw?format=jpg&name=medium

msstate7
03-24-2020, 06:52 AM
You can pretty much count New Jersey's almost 3000 in with NY too. That's our Wuhan, Lombardia, Madrid currently.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET1FmRRWkAI4QKw?format=jpg&name=medium

Have the cases been mapped down to sections of NYC? Gotta figure little CHINA/little ITALY spot is a hotbed

hacker
03-24-2020, 07:08 AM
Have the cases been mapped down to sections of NYC? Gotta figure little CHINA/little ITALY spot is a hotbed

I haven't seen a map, but I saw this:

- Brooklyn: 3,742 cases
- Queens: 3,848 cases
- Manhattan: 2,646 cases
- The Bronx: 1,999 cases
- Staten Island: 877 cases

Seems to be pretty evenly distributed based on population

BrunswickDawg
03-24-2020, 07:15 AM
I know you can't fix stupid -

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/covid-19-remedy-touted-by-trump-kills-arizona-man-wife-critical-11460391

People are dumb - and they prove it daily. They also take the word of our leaders as gospel, so every bit of info that comes out has to have the lowest common denominator in mind and has to be on point at times like this (and that is not Trump specific).

msstate7
03-24-2020, 07:17 AM
I haven't seen a map, but I saw this:

- Brooklyn: 3,742 cases
- Queens: 3,848 cases
- Manhattan: 2,646 cases
- The Bronx: 1,999 cases
- Staten Island: 877 cases

Seems to be pretty evenly distributed based on population

Thanks

Dawg2003
03-24-2020, 07:30 AM
New York rising faster makes sense. They live, work, and socialize in close quarters like Italy.

LittleBigDog
03-24-2020, 07:59 AM

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/covid-19-remedy-touted-by-trump-kills-arizona-man-wife-critical-11460391

People are dumb - and they prove it daily. They also take the word of our leaders as gospel, so every bit of info that comes out has to have the lowest common denominator in mind and has to be on point at times like this (and that is not Trump specific).

Wow! Not real smart. A bit of Jack Rudy's along with your favorite gin and tonic is the way to go. That's my favorite way of dosing quinine :)

TheLostDawg
03-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Haha yeah. Sad. No surprise though. Writing articles that they have no clue of what they are writing about. The person should be fired and the article taken down but the company would rather have clicks.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 09:59 AM
https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

^^^ less dire outlook

hacker
03-24-2020, 10:15 AM
71 newly reported cases in MS, total of 320

KOdawg1
03-24-2020, 10:17 AM
Stock market appears to be up today

Maverick
03-24-2020, 10:17 AM
I know this is old news apparently but I haven't heard it discussed here. A Harvard professor/nano scientist was arrested in late January for lying about taking money from the Chinese to help them set up a research lab in Wuhan China where the virus supposedly started. Hard to believe there isn't more fire there but apparently it's not related just sounds like a mighty suspicious coincidence.

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 10:19 AM
https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

^^^ less dire outlook

I wonder what his projection for America is?

hacker
03-24-2020, 10:25 AM

^^^ less dire outlook

My only issue with comparing our situation to China is that they were way more prepared than we are. They have drones bleaching the streets right now.

Meanwhile, we have 1800 people attending church services in Louisiana.

We will pass China's total # of cases in a few days and still don't have a solid plan to move forward.

Extendedcab
03-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Haven't heard this in the mainstream news! See below.

Did you know about the 100,000 Wuhan workers in Northern Italy?

This is not a new story, Chinese workers from Wuhan, are forced to work in Italy so their cheaply made leather goods could legitimately carry a ?Made in Italy? tag.

Isn't it strange that this original tweet was shared extensively around the world, with millions of views yet at no point did the lamestream media choose to explore the substance? Are they all bought and paid lackeys of the Chinese?

Watch this graphic and see how the sweet spot for the virus after it departs China is Italy. (Reassuring now few red dots there are.) As of March 24, 2020, the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) had spread to six continents, and approximately 16,565 people had died after contracting the respiratory virus. Around 6,077 of these deaths occurred in Italy. (For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETRdsmMXQAELKFL?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES6E82HWkAAYiMR?format=jpg&name=small

Also see the original Reuters story:

https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/made-in-italy-by-chinese-workers-idUSRTX16XEA

This explains a lot about why Italy has been hit so hard!

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 11:06 AM
My only issue with comparing our situation to China is that they were way more prepared than we are. They have drones bleaching the streets right now.

Meanwhile, we have 1800 people attending church services in Louisiana.

We will pass China's total # of cases in a few days and still don't have a solid plan to move forward.

Im just glad Trump is the President. This is 100% genuine. Hear me out.

If Hillary was telling conservatives to stay home or quarantine themselves and close businesses, they would be having gatherings just to give her a finger. Churches certainly wouldn?t be closed on Sunday.

At least with him as President I?m hopeful that some of the people that would normally not trust the government are actually listening and doing the best they can.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 11:15 AM

If Hillary was telling conservatives to stay home or quarantine themselves and close businesses, they would be having gatherings just to give her a finger. Churches certainly wouldn?t be closed on Sunday.

At least with him as President I?m hopeful that some of the people that would normally not trust the government are actually listening and doing the best they can.

So conservatives are dumb? Thanks

StateDawg44
03-24-2020, 11:17 AM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you forgot sarcastaricks?

You are only seeing what you choose to see if you think any of this is true. Every single bit is opinion, one-sided and narrow-minded. Simply blinded by politics and it's pathetic to even go there. You might as well be in congress arguing about money instead of helping the people you are supposed to be working for.

I'm not saying Trump is doing better than Hillary would be doing but you certainly can't tell me Hillary would be doing worse.

And just for the record, I didn't vote for anyone and damn sure wouldn't give my vote to either. So spare me any speech about defending one or the other.

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 11:20 AM
So conservatives are dumb? Thanks

No - but a lot of conservatives would tell Hillary Clinton to **** off and they aren't closing churches. I'm not sure if that is dumb or stubborn, but they would.

Hell - my facebook feed is still littered with people that still think this is not a big deal and blown out of proportion by the media. Do you think if a President named Obama or Hillary was telling people to stop going to church it would be received well?

I'm having conversations with family members begging them to stay home and stop reading articles on conservative web sites that say this is just a conspiracy. Only when the President started to take it serious and push the social distancing did they take it serious. The fact that President Trump is telling people to stay home I think is a good thing because conservatives will listen to him as opposed to ignoring a democrat.

Maybe you disagree, but it is something that I have been thankful for recently.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 11:24 AM
No - but a lot of conservatives would tell Hillary Clinton to **** off and they aren't closing churches. I'm not sure if that is dumb or stubborn, but they would.

Hell - my facebook feed is still littered with people that still think this is not a big deal and blown out of proportion by the media. Do you think if a President named Obama or Hillary was telling people to stop going to church it would be received well?

I'm having conversations with family members begging them to stay home and stop reading articles on conservative web sites that say this is just a conspiracy. Only when the President started to take it serious and push the social distancing did they take it serious. The fact that President Trump is telling people to stay home I think is a good thing because conservatives will listen to him as opposed to ignoring a democrat.

Maybe you disagree, but it is something that I have been thankful for recently.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/despite-coronavirus-rules-beaches-still-crowded-santa-monica-is-now-closing-them/ar-BB11xOHn

Think they reading a bunch of conservative web sites saying it's a conspiracy in California?

Dawgology
03-24-2020, 11:25 AM
Haven't heard this in the mainstream news! See below.

Did you know about the 100,000 Wuhan workers in Northern Italy?

This is not a new story, Chinese workers from Wuhan, are forced to work in Italy so their cheaply made leather goods could legitimately carry a ?Made in Italy? tag.

Isn't it strange that this original tweet was shared extensively around the world, with millions of views yet at no point did the lamestream media choose to explore the substance? Are they all bought and paid lackeys of the Chinese?

Watch this graphic and see how the sweet spot for the virus after it departs China is Italy. (Reassuring now few red dots there are.) As of March 24, 2020, the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) had spread to six continents, and approximately 16,565 people had died after contracting the respiratory virus. Around 6,077 of these deaths occurred in Italy. (For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETRdsmMXQAELKFL?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES6E82HWkAAYiMR?format=jpg&name=small

Also see the original Reuters story:

https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/made-in-italy-by-chinese-workers-idUSRTX16XEA

This explains a lot about why Italy has been hit so hard!

I've posted I go along these lines several times but folks seem to gloss over it but it is significant info. Just FYI though, "lamestream media" reduces the quality of your post. Good info though.

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 11:25 AM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you forgot sarcastaricks?

You are only seeing what you choose to see if you think any of this is true. Every single bit is opinion, one-sided and narrow-minded. Simply blinded by politics and it's pathetic to even go there. You might as well be in congress arguing about money instead of helping the people you are supposed to be working for.

I'm not saying Trump is doing better than Hillary would be doing but you certainly can't tell me Hillary would be doing worse.

And just for the record, I didn't vote for anyone and damn sure wouldn't give my vote to either. So spare me any speech about defending one or the other.

You are missing my point. I'm past blaming anyone for where we are - I want to move forward. Based on the last two weeks - conservatives started out thinking this was being blown out of proportion. That is not arguable. I'm sure we all had siblings or parents that are conservative who were mocking this virus or not taking it serious. Their attitudes changed as soon as the President was telling people to stop gathering in groups of 10 or more and was taking swift action.

I don't think some conservatives would have listened if it was Obama or Hillary telling them to not go to church.

This is not a unique situation. Think about when we go to war, if a Republican is President - democrats don't trust his motives. If a democrat is ordering drone strikes with no real oversight, democrats turn a blind eye. They wouldn't if it was a republican.

hacker
03-24-2020, 11:30 AM
The fact that President Trump is telling people to stay home

You may have missed it last night, but he's now saying that he's going to lift social distancing in "weeks, not months"

Yet Sunday he activated the National Guard to enforce lockdowns in a few states

I'm getting mixed signals on the strategy to move forward.

Extendedcab
03-24-2020, 11:30 AM
I've posted I go along these lines several times but folks seem to gloss over it but it is significant info. Just FYI though, "lamestream media" reduces the quality of your post. Good info though.

Thanks, the term "lame stream media" came directly from the information source I provided, it was not my personal comment.

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 11:31 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/despite-coronavirus-rules-beaches-still-crowded-santa-monica-is-now-closing-them/ar-BB11xOHn

Think they reading a bunch of conservative web sites saying it's a conspiracy in California?

No - I think there are a lot of selfish ignorant people regardless of political affiliation. I'm just saying that the same people that thought this was a media driven hoax are the same people that are now taking it seriously, and I give the President a lot of credit for that. I don't think those same people would have listened to an Obama or a Hillary considering the same circumstances.

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 11:33 AM
You may have missed it last night, but he's now saying that he's going to lift social distancing in "weeks, not months"

Yet Sunday he activated the National Guard to enforce lockdowns in a few states

I'm getting mixed signals on the strategy to move forward.

Yeah - they started floating the idea of basically sacrificing anyone over 70 on Fox last night for the good of the economy, but I just figured that was a crazy person.

I think its a moot point. You could life all the restrictions you want - who in their right mind is getting on a plane right now or going to dinner in a crowded restaurant.

I also don't think he will have any support from the party to go that route except for the far right fringes. Cruz, Graham and today Liz Cheney have come out and publicly stated the idea is just nuts.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 11:34 AM
No - I think there are a lot of selfish ignorant people regardless of political affiliation. I'm just saying that the same people that thought this was a media driven hoax are the same people that are now taking it seriously, and I give the President a lot of credit for that. I don't think those same people would have listened to an Obama or a Hillary considering the same circumstances.

Fair enough...

StateDawg44
03-24-2020, 12:35 PM
You are missing my point. I'm past blaming anyone for where we are - I want to move forward. Based on the last two weeks - conservatives started out thinking this was being blown out of proportion. That is not arguable. I'm sure we all had siblings or parents that are conservative who were mocking this virus or not taking it serious. Their attitudes changed as soon as the President was telling people to stop gathering in groups of 10 or more and was taking swift action.

I don't think some conservatives would have listened if it was Obama or Hillary telling them to not go to church.

This is not a unique situation. Think about when we go to war, if a Republican is President - democrats don't trust his motives. If a democrat is ordering drone strikes with no real oversight, democrats turn a blind eye. They wouldn't if it was a republican.

Ahh I get your point. At least the impeachment crap isn't going on in the middle of all of this too. Regardless of where you fall on that.

The fact that said people who were playing it down changed their attitude simply because of what the president is saying one day is the bigger problem. The fact that they don't think for themselves and just choose a party to follow instead of paying attention to what the hell is going on is the problem.

I don't understand how anyone can have a blind allegiance to one side or the other, especially when it comes to something that is 100% out of every person's control like the current situation.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Anyone that thinks throwing the old and weak to the wolves and letting this spread will somehow not tank the economy for longer AND cost more lives needs to just realize the economy is ****ed. Can't fix the economy until we virtually eliminate the virus threat. While it's spreading, all those service jobs lost in the last 2 weeks ain't coming back cause folks aren't gonna be traveling, eating dinner out, going to movies, etc. anyway even if we can legally congregate in groups.

Dawgology
03-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Thanks, the term "lame stream media" came directly from the information source I provided, it was not my personal comment.

Ah ok. I see now.

HancockCountyDog
03-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Anyone that thinks throwing the old and weak to the wolves and letting this spread will somehow not tank the economy for longer AND cost more lives needs to just realize the economy is ****ed. Can't fix the economy until we virtually eliminate the virus threat. While it's spreading, all those service jobs lost in the last 2 weeks ain't coming back cause folks aren't gonna be traveling, eating dinner out, going to movies, etc. anyway even if we can legally congregate in groups.

Totally agree - i'm just hoping that this is a test balloon. The President can't honestly expect people to start acting like everything is normal when medical professionals are telling us how easy it spreads, how dangerous it can be, and most importantly there are no hospital bed/ventilators to take care of people.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Totally agree - i'm just hoping that this is a test balloon. The President can't honestly expect people to start acting like everything is normal when medical professionals are telling us how easy it spreads, how dangerous it can be, and most importantly there are no hospital bed/ventilators to take care of people.

Did trump propose throwing "old and weak to wolves"?

dalmuti
03-24-2020, 02:01 PM

he did it on national tv

msstate7
03-24-2020, 02:06 PM
he did it on national tv

Wow, when?

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 02:17 PM
This may be the most colossal failure of leadership in the history of our nation.

StateDawg44
03-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Yeah where did that come from?

Dawg2003
03-24-2020, 02:22 PM
This may be the most colossal failure of leadership in the history of our nation.

It's just so inconsistent. I don't even know what we are doing now.

deadheaddawg
03-24-2020, 02:28 PM

starting to look that way

BeardoMSU
03-24-2020, 02:46 PM
It's just so inconsistent.

This^^^ right here, is a major problem.

What shoulda woulda coulda been done to prepare is one thing, but now that we're here, this is making things considerably worse.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:07 PM
Wow, when?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics/trump-easter-economy-coronavirus/index.html

This is a man getting antsy about the economy and it's blinding his decision making. He doesn't literally say "throw the old and weak to the wolves", but when talking about having the economy "raring to go" by Easter is effectively saying that. Nevermind that overloading and collapsing the healthcare industry to save the economy seems like a weird way to try to save the economy.

What happens when he re-opens federal buildings to all the fed workers currently on temporary full time wfh agreements and cancels/ends all those wfh agreements signed last week, but many folks are refusing to take public transit and to go in buildings where hundreds of people per day are opening doors, touching security swipes, touching elevator buttons, touching faucets, etc.? Even if they allow the "at risk" groups to stay home but terminate the "healthy" employees wfh agreements. Are they considered on strike or awol and get fired for not reporting in? Cause even if you are a trump supporter, you know his style would be to "lead by example" and the only employees he can control are the federal employees, so if he wants to "prove" we can open business back up, he'll start with the fed offices.

Full disclosure, I work for the feds and have been full time teleworking since 2012, but I correspond daily with folks in our offices that would face this exact dilemma.

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 03:11 PM

The colossal failure of leadership was the President that gave everything to China in the first place.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 03:16 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics/trump-easter-economy-coronavirus/index.html

This is a man getting antsy about the economy and it's blinding his decision making. He doesn't literally say "throw the old and weak to the wolves", but when talking about having the economy "raring to go" by Easter is effectively saying that. Nevermind that overloading and collapsing the healthcare industry to save the economy seems like a weird way to try to save the economy.

What happens when he re-opens federal buildings to all the fed workers currently on temporary full time wfh agreements and cancels/ends all those wfh agreements signed last week, but many folks are refusing to take public transit and to go in buildings where hundreds of people per day are opening doors, touching security swipes, touching elevator buttons, touching faucets, etc.? Even if they allow the "at risk" groups to stay home but terminate the "healthy" employees wfh agreements. Are they considered on strike or awol and get fired for not reporting in? Cause even if you are a trump supporter, you know his style would be to "lead by example" and the only employees he can control are the federal employees, so if he wants to "prove" we can open business back up, he'll start with the fed offices.

Full disclosure, I work for the feds and have been full time teleworking since 2012, but I correspond daily with folks in our offices that would face this exact dilemma.

From your link:

"I give it two weeks," Trump said earlier in the town hall, suggesting he was ready to phase out his 15-day self-isolating guidelines when they expire. "I guess by Monday or Tuesday, it's about two weeks. We will assess at that time and give it more time if we need a little more time. We have to open this country up."

Trump did concede he wasn't sure if that timing -- just 19 days from now -- would work.

StateDawg44
03-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Huh?

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:27 PM
This may be the most colossal failure of leadership in the history of NEW YORK.

FIFY

New York has roughly half of the cases in the US. Louisiana is well on their way to getting out of control too. California, Washington, Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey all 8 of these are in the top 10. I see a common thread.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:30 PM
From your link:

"I give it two weeks," Trump said earlier in the town hall, suggesting he was ready to phase out his 15-day self-isolating guidelines when they expire. "I guess by Monday or Tuesday, it's about two weeks. We will assess at that time and give it more time if we need a little more time. We have to open this country up."

Trump did concede he wasn't sure if that timing -- just 19 days from now -- would work.

Uh huh, because he's been quite consistent about sticking with a more cautious approach and not wildly flailing at the next shiny thing that catches his eye even when it contradicts the message he was reading off the teleprompter earlier in the same speech. This is about his personality, not his politics. I disagree with his politics, but I his personality makes him a bad leader and completely inept to handle times like this. He knows his re-election campaign entirely hinges on the stock market and he'll do whatever he can to try to prop it up short term. Honestly, outside of a miracle cure/vaccine or mysterious disappearance of covid-19 by fall, I don't think he can win cause either the economy goes in the shitter, we are stuck in our homes for months now, and many people still die, or the economy goes in the shitter as the spread increases from opening up business again, then healthcare system fully collapses dragging the rest of a lethally injured economy with it, and many people die unnecessarily who could've otherwise survived with proper care but due to overloading and collapsing the system, they don't get proper care, and we still likely end up locked at home months from now anyway when this is still spreading out of control. These are both shitty options, but one is definitely shittier than the other, but also requires admitting short term defeat for better long term outlook. Trump's personality isn't built to take the long term outlook, you can hear it in his tone and read it in his words, he is ready to get back to "normal" ASAP, even if that is temporary due to the nature of what will happen when we prematurely go back to "normal".

The govt needs to shutdown everything for a month outside of the food and healthcare chains. We get free utilities for the month, mortgage and rents and loans are paused, not interest accumulates, give people at little reason to justify leaving their homes as possible, and that means taking any decisions about personal financial security out of their hands and ensuring they will still be able to operate their livelihood when this mess is over. After a month, asymtpmatic carriers should have processed it from their system, the folks that get sick and recover should be good to go, and those that never got it should have very little chance of catching it during that month. Hopefully this also comes with a massive testing movement to test as many people as possible, either door to door or at an assigned place and time. Then maybe we can start to loosen up regionally/locally once we have a better idea on the spread. The problem is that without shutting down for a month to limit community spread, there's always gonna be sporadic outbreaks that suddenly shut down cities/states again and again, ****ing with the economy (on top of the healthcare collapse from cases) because cases will be transmitted through mass gatherings, travelers, etc. until we take the time to pause and see exactly where we are at on this thing.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:31 PM
FIFY

New York has roughly half of the cases in the US. Louisiana is well on their way to getting out of control too. California, Washington, Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey all 8 of these are in the top 10. I see a common thread.

States with major cities and more international tourists?

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:34 PM
States with major cities and more international tourists?

LOL. Yeah, sure, that's it.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Huh?

If the economy is "raring to go" for Easter and trump pressures states to relax the mitigation steps they've taken, then it's going to spread fast again. The old and the weak are at most vulnerable, so allowing covid-19 to spread uncontrollably again would be putting those people at risk. Even if they are allowed to "shelter in place" to avoid reporting to work and make other special considerations for their needs (healthcare, food delivery, etc), the few people they would come into contact with would now have a higher risk of being carriers. So yes, I shortened to to "throw the old and the weak to the wolves" (quotation for quoting myself, not quoting trump, I never intended that to be a quote just my commentary on what he's effectively wanting to do).

msstate7
03-24-2020, 03:40 PM
If the economy is "raring to go" for Easter and trump pressures states to relax the mitigation steps they've taken, then it's going to spread fast again. The old and the weak are at most vulnerable, so allowing covid-19 to spread uncontrollably again would be putting those people at risk. Even if they are allowed to "shelter in place" to avoid reporting to work and make other special considerations for their needs (healthcare, food delivery, etc), the few people they would come into contact with would now have a higher risk of being carriers. So yes, I shortened to to "throw the old and the weak to the wolves" (quotation for quoting myself, not quoting trump, I never intended that to be a quote just my commentary on what he's effectively wanting to do).

So, he never proposed to "throw the old and weak to the wolves".

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:42 PM
LOL. Yeah, sure, that's it.

It's weird you expect mayors to have more and better access to international heath crises than the federal government. Nevermind the state of Washington has been begging the feds for emergency funding and help from the CDC since the end of January. Sorry, but a disease isn't political.

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 03:42 PM

I feel like Trump is banking on those meds working to control the Coronavirus. I hope he's right.

Would make sense given the encouraging results so far of the meds working.

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:44 PM

Quite a reach there. You took 3 words that he said and came up with an entire (hypothetical) scenario, and assigned him blame for your (hypothetical) scenario. I mean, come on. I don't believe for a second that the economy will be raring to go by Easter. I think he's trying to calm the masses and keep the market from further free fall.

Go here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Click on any country with a hyper link. There are very few that have a graph that looks any different from ours. Those countries are either:
1. Small, so more manageable
2. Socialist/Communist, so they can force more drastic measures easier
3. Reporting incomplete data because they're not testing adequately

Most countries have a graph that looks exactly like ours. Is Trump responsible for those countries as well? As I ask that, I realize there are several people ITT that will say "yes, it is".

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:45 PM

If he's pressuring businesses and states and federal offices to re-open before we have it under control, he's doing exactly that. Believe it or not, folks usually don't say the god awful thing they know will be a consequence of their actions when they wanna act anyway. Though some on the state level are in fact admitting they would be sacrificing certain segments of the population.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2905990001

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:46 PM
It's weird you expect mayors to have more and better access to international heath crises than the federal government. Nevermind the state of Washington has been begging the feds for emergency funding and help from the CDC since the end of January. Sorry, but a disease isn't political.

Mayors don't control states. Governors do. And states have been enacting their own policies for weeks, and state policies supersede federal in most instances.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Quite a reach there. You took 3 words that he said and came up with an entire (hypothetical) scenario, and assigned him blame for your (hypothetical) scenario. I mean, come on. I don't believe for a second that the economy will be raring to go by Easter. I think he's trying to calm the masses and keep the market from further free fall.

Go here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Click on any country with a hyper link. There are very few that have a graph that looks any different from ours. Those countries are either:
1. Small, so more manageable
2. Socialist/Communist, so they can force more drastic measures easier
3. Reporting incomplete data because they're not testing adequately

Most countries have a graph that looks exactly like ours. Is Trump responsible for those countries as well? As I ask that, I realize there are several people ITT that will say "yes, it is".

Making dumb unreasonable comments to "calm the markets" when we all know the truth doesn't in fact calm the markets, instead makes them more volatile cause no one know wtf the plan is. We are well past the point of calming the markets, and "re-opening business" ain't gonna change that because the markets understand that there is no prosperity while this is an ongoing issue.

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Making dumb unreasonable comments to "calm the markets" when we all know the truth doesn't in fact calm the markets, instead makes them more volatile cause no one know wtf the plan is. We are well past the point of calming the markets, and "re-opening business" ain't gonna change that because the markets understand that there is no prosperity while this is an ongoing issue.

You seem to know a lot about dumb unreasonable comments.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2020, 03:48 PM
People on both sides of this issue tend to only see and hear what they want to see and hear. The truth as always is somewhere in the middle.

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 03:49 PM
People on both sides of this issue tend to only see and hear what they want to see and hear. The truth as always is somewhere in the middle.

Exactly. I argued this early ITT.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 03:50 PM
If trump were wanting to throw the "old and weak to the wolves" why wait till Easter or say he'd reevaluate then? Just open it now or declare it over on Easter right now

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Mayors don't control states. Governors do. And states have been enacting their own policies for weeks, and state policies supersede federal in most instances.

We need an initial strong centralize plan, followed by regional/state/city level plans once we can pause and figure out where this shit is. New Orleans probably wishes they'd been forced to cancel Mardi Gras about now, but at the time there weren't any cases in New Orleans, so party on, right? What about spring breakers in Florida and Texas last week? St paddy's partners in Chicago and Boston? Churchgoers in Baton Rouge? Every time some dumbshits gather in a big group like that, we have to assume a mass spread just occurred and need to push back everything another couple weeks. All we are gonna end up with is states using police force to impose checkpoints on their state lines with this hodgepodge array of measures being taken.

KOdawg1
03-24-2020, 03:52 PM

I was just about to type this until I saw your post. Exactly. If you look hard enough for something, you'll find it.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:55 PM
If trump were wanting to throw the "old and weak to the wolves" why wait till Easter or say he'd reevaluate then? Just open it now or declare it over on Easter right now

Why even talk like that if he's not at least strongly considering it?

Jesus Christ, some of y'all have a ****ed up sense of how one should lead in these times. W was a fine leader to calm and unite the country after 9/11. I am not a fan of W's politics, but he made me feel at ease because he didn't come out rambling, contradicting himself, issuing statements after addressing the nation contradicting the actual shit he said when addressing the nation, it's fine to admit he is in way over his head and we are all worse off for it, even if you like low taxes and small gubment.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 03:56 PM
You seem to know a lot about dumb unreasonable comments.

You think big investors are calmed by trump saying the economy will be "raring to go by Easter"? They aren't idiots.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2020, 03:57 PM
I was just about to type this until I saw your post. Exactly. If you look hard enough for something, you'll find it.

It's the problem plaguing our country right now, in all phases. People will get on one side of an argument and refuse to listen to rational thought from the other side. If you keep an open mind you can really learn something from other folks even if you think you know everything already lol.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 04:00 PM
Why even talk like that if he's not at least strongly considering it?

Jesus Christ, some of y'all have a ****ed up sense of how one should lead in these times. W was a fine leader to calm and unite the country after 9/11. I am not a fan of W's politics, but he made me feel at ease because he didn't come out rambling, contradicting himself, issuing statements after addressing the nation contradicting the actual shit he said when addressing the nation, it's fine to admit he is in way over his head and we are all worse off for it, even if you like low taxes and small gubment.

Guess what... I hope it's open by Easter too. Lots of my family and friends are headed for hard times. Am I willing to "throw the weak and old to the wolves"? No, but if the economy is down too long, we throwing a crap load of the old, young, and in between to the wolves. Not everyone has a government job.

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 04:06 PM
You think big investors are calmed by trump saying the economy will be "raring to go by Easter"? They aren't idiots.

I said calm the masses. I realize you keep reading it "calm the markets" because you've typed it several times now. So, no I don't think that. I said masses - I'll let you look up what that means. But it's not "big investors".

Look - Trump hasn't been great in this. But he hasn't been some horrible bumbling idiot either. As stated by many others, it's in the middle. You know who else hasn't done great? Congress (both parties), Governors (both parties), Mayors (both parties), most countries, and plenty others I'm not going to name. The entire world has been smoked by this thing and has been caught flat-footed for the most part. Let's come out the other side and deal in facts and then make our judgments at the ballot box. Crazy idea huh?

Commercecomet24
03-24-2020, 04:12 PM
I said calm the masses. I realize you keep reading it "calm the markets" because you've typed it several times now. So, no I don't think that. I said masses - I'll let you look up what that means. But it's not "big investors".

Look - Trump hasn't been great in this. But he hasn't been some horrible bumbling idiot either. As stated by many others, it's in the middle. You know who else hasn't done great? Congress (both parties), Governors (both parties), Mayors (both parties), most countries, and plenty others I'm not going to name. The entire world has been smoked by this thing and has been caught flat-footed for the most part. Let's come out the other side and deal in facts and then make our judgments at the ballot box. Crazy idea huh?

Solid post. I'm already having people email me resumes cause they've lost their jobs and are frightened with the uncertaintity of all this. I don't believe there's anyone in this country who hasn't been affected by this in some way, whether it's physical health, job, financially, etc. It's scary times but I'm also seeing people pull together and help each other.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Guess what... I hope it's open by Easter too. Lots of my family and friends are headed for hard times. Am I willing to "throw the weak and old to the wolves"? No, but if the economy is down too long, we throwing a crap load of the old, young, and in between to the wolves. Not everyone has a government job.

Everyone's financial future is thrown to the wolves regardless of if we prematurely open businesses back up or not. It ****ing sucks and why the government needs to take strong decisive action to protect people. Your friend that runs a restaurant or a boutique clothing store or whatever, opening it up for Easter ain't saving their business cause people aren't going to be venturing out to these businesses with covid-19 still a threat. Anyone that still views this through the lens of "fixing" the economic fallout without fixing covid-19 first is refusing to accept reality.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-24-20-intl-hnk/h_6f8351b84dad9357473cc48da33cc8e0

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:16 PM

He literally had to issue statements contradicting the shit he said in the most important address by a US president since 9/11. How hard is it to know what the European travel ban entailed even if he didn't wanna read a teleprompter? Step back and imagine if this was any liberal president you didn't vote for and in a similar situation they bungled that address that badly and ask yourself if you'd really grant them the patience and forgiveness you are asking for trump.

msstate7
03-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Everyone's financial future is thrown to the wolves regardless of if we prematurely open businesses back up or not. It ****ing sucks and why the government needs to take strong decisive action to protect people. Your friend that runs a restaurant or a boutique clothing store or whatever, opening it up for Easter ain't saving their business cause people aren't going to be venturing out to these businesses with covid-19 still a threat. Anyone that still views this through the lens of "fixing" the economic fallout without fixing covid-19 first is refusing to accept reality.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-24-20-intl-hnk/h_6f8351b84dad9357473cc48da33cc8e0

If no one is going out at Easter anyway then, what you mad about?

Santiago
03-24-2020, 04:22 PM

Agree with you on this. It is getting real in a hurry on money flow. I have essential projects in TX, so luckily making it and have about 20 employees depending on me to make sure they make it also. For anyone with time right now to get political I really could just smack their head. Money comes from those that produce, creating tax money for the government. They need really quick to realize giving a break right now on payroll and payroll taxes for a short term survival is better than getting zero for a few years. And stop screwing around with all the other agenda.
I have friends running companies that are about to make some difficult decisions over the next several days. And those decisions take a toll personally on a business owner that cares about employees as well.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:30 PM
If no one is going out at Easter anyway then, what you mad about?

Some will. It won't be the numbers usually out because there's always some idiots. Unfortunately, only takes a few idiots to lock down a city or state again. Is it worth chasing 20-50% of your business in order to screw everything up even longer when it's already screwed anyway?

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Agree with you on this. It is getting real in a hurry on money flow. I am have essential projects in TX, so luckily making it and have about 20 employees depending on me to make sure they make it also. For anyone with time right now to get political I really could just smack their head. Money comes from those that produce, creating tax money for the government. They need really quick to realize giving a break right now on payroll and payroll taxes for a short term survival is better than getting zero for a few years. And stop screwing around with all the other agenda.
I have friends running companies that are about to make some difficult decisions over the next several days. And those decisions take a toll personally on a business owner that cares about employees as well.

It's not political dude. It's logic. Business re-opening like "normal" before we should will simply be a wounded animal limping along waiting time die. I know it ****ing sucks. It sucks for everyone. I know lots of folks already laid off and a lot that expect to be within a week or 2. The point is that most people will be laid off longer and businesses that are open will be operating well below their normal earnings. Trying to force the economy to work like normal prior to getting the coronavirus under control just doesn't logistically work. I know you'll say paying bills without work doesn't logistically work. I agree, and if we don't act fast to get covid-19 under control then you'll be struggling to pay bills for a lot longer doing a fraction of the work you used to get, maybe not even enough work to justify the overhead.

Pinto
03-24-2020, 04:37 PM
Hey Mods,
If someone makes a completely false political statement like a false quote or something that is debunked by hard core facts, can we give them a 14 day quarantine?

Geez people. Let?s start dealing in facts and stop jumping the gun on wild hypotheticals. You work the problem. You don?t let the problem work you or make it worse by creating new problems that don?t exist. Some of you never need to be in crisis management situations.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Hey Mods,
If someone makes a completely false political statement like a false quote or something that is debunked by hard core facts, can we give them a 14 day quarantine?

Geez people. Let?s start dealing in facts and stop jumping the gun on wild hypotheticals. You work the problem. You don?t let the problem work you or make it worse by creating new problems that don?t exist. Some of you never need to be in crisis management situations.

lol good lord the melts over a statement I made regarding the real consequence of what the president wants to do is really something

Santiago
03-24-2020, 04:42 PM
It's not political dude. It's logic. Business re-opening like "normal" before we should will simply be a wounded animal limping along waiting time die. I know it ****ing sucks. It sucks for everyone. I know lots of folks already laid off and a lot that expect to be within a week or 2. The point is that most people will be laid off longer and businesses that are open will be operating well below their normal earnings. Trying to force the economy to work like normal prior to getting the coronavirus under control just doesn't logistically work. I know you'll say paying bills without work doesn't logistically work. I agree, and if we don't act fast to get covid-19 under control then you'll be struggling to pay bills for a lot longer doing a fraction of the work you used to get, maybe not even enough work to justify the overhead.

My post had nothing to do with that exactly and what you posted was not my intent or point.
It is the national BS going on, and the rush to blame instead of shut up and work together, and after we get past it then get back to the games.
I actually get the distancing and the purpose. Small to medium companies will layoff, or go under, so the stimulus of helping on payroll and skip payroll taxes is a great idea for those I know. Businesses have no obligation to keep employees or keep paying them. So there does need to be discussion of balance and common sense as well.
I know a company that laid off 10 on Friday because they are not allowed to work in some plants. The reasoning is all understood. The concern is for how long. Another company is deciding this week on layoffs. The guy bought a company a couple years ago with his savings and the money from a family member. His business requires going to plants, which are closed. So he is having to make tough decisions right now how to stay afloat. He just applied for a FEMA loan (3.5% ) and puts up collateral for it, in order to keep his company together and not risk losing all he has invested.
I will run through this fine, but many are about to make tough decisions.

dantheman4248
03-24-2020, 04:44 PM
Ignore the leftist bias and small jabs at the right in this twitter thread. Man makes solid points about why reopening America is bad in our current fashion. If we can make testing / suppressing techniques be strong enough to handle this then we can talk about the business as usual approach.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1242145766812024838?s=21

We definitely are in a pick your poison situation. But we need to be careful not to drink both.

dawgs
03-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Ignore the leftist bias and small jabs at the right in this twitter thread. Man makes solid points about why reopening America is bad in our current fashion. If we can make testing / suppressing techniques be strong enough to handle this then we can talk about the business as usual approach.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1242145766812024838?s=21

We definitely are in a pick your poison situation. But we need to be careful not to drink both.

Thank you. Only thing I'll say is that we have to drink 1 poison, it's whether we wanna drink the 2nd poison too.

DownwardDawg
03-24-2020, 04:53 PM
lol good lord the melts over a statement I made regarding the real consequence of what the president wants to do is really something

I only see one posted melting right now.......

Dolphus Raymond
03-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Well, at least we know Dr. Fauci was not banished into exile.

Dolphus Raymond
03-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Words of the day: Cognitive Dissonance.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2020, 05:04 PM
My post had nothing to do with that exactly and what you posted was not my intent or point.
It is the national BS going on, and the rush to blame instead of shut up and work together, and after we get past it then get back to the games.
I actually get the distancing and the purpose. Small to medium companies will layoff, or go under, so the stimulus of helping on payroll and skip payroll taxes is a great idea for those I know. Businesses have no obligation to keep employees or keep paying them. So there does need to be discussion of balance and common sense as well.
I know a company that laid off 10 on Friday because they are not allowed to work in some plants. The reasoning is all understood. The concern is for how long. Another company is deciding this week on layoffs. The guy bought a company a couple years ago with his savings and the money from a family member. His business requires going to plants, which are closed. So he is having to make tough decisions right now how to stay afloat. He just applied for a FEMA loan (3.5% ) and puts up collateral for it, in order to keep his company together and not risk losing all he has invested.

Well said!

dawgs
03-24-2020, 05:10 PM

I agree, I just don't think rushing back is helping anyone for reasons stated, and so when folks are moaning that we gotta get the economy churning, I'm gonna speak up and point out there is no economic recovery while this is going on. So we either figure out how to pause for a month or 2 and then kickstart things when we have gotten shit stabilized or we drag this economic death out for 18 months waiting for a vaccine.

PMDawg
03-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Funny how quickly you knew who he was referring to. Lol. Says a lot.

Dawgcap
03-24-2020, 05:29 PM
I feel like Trump is banking on those meds working to control the Coronavirus. I hope he's right.

Would make sense given the encouraging results so far of the meds working.
That?s the feeling I got from it also. I think there is evidence that response has been favorable. I hope and pray it is for all of us and I don?t give a shit who you align with politically. I have had optimism during this because I trust and pray the very best in medicine are working their ass off to find the answer

Dawgcap
03-24-2020, 05:30 PM
That?s the feeling I got from it also. I think there is evidence that response has been favorable. I hope and pray it is for all of us and I don?t give a shit who you align with politically. I have had optimism during this because I trust and pray the very best in medicine are working their ass off to find the answer
By you I meant everyone in this thread not just you Todd

dantheman4248
03-24-2020, 05:42 PM
It's a really scary thought that the joke about American politics that Republicans argue the dollar bill is more important than American lives is close to coming true.

If they were seriously concerned about the average Americans well-being, then a more expansive basic income package would be fleshed our to take care of them. "Protecting the economy" is rooted in the idea of protecting the elite's pockets rather than the average American's pockets. It's kind of sickening to see that we could be close to having "the masses" pitted against the "old and sick" to protect the rich's pockets in lieu of a better alternative that could supplant both the masses and the old/sick in a better fashion (but hurt the rich elite. And, no, you Mr. elite dawg reader are not part of that club. I'm talking about the 0.1% and the 0.01%. The 10 figures people. I highly doubt we have billionaires here.)

Friendly reminder that Jeff Bezos refuses paid sick leave for his workers. Senators asked him to stop because they can't make a law to tell him to stop.

hacker
03-24-2020, 05:45 PM
The drug Trump's been talking about, Chloroquine, was also used in China. It's in the Handbook of COVID-19 Prevention and Treatment, which was written by Chinese doctors.

They still lost a lot of people (4% fatality rate) and have hundreds more still on ventilators. I would hope he isn't betting on that.

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 05:51 PM
It's a really scary thought that the joke about American politics that Republicans argue the dollar bill is more important than American lives is close to coming true.

If they were seriously concerned about the average Americans well-being, then a more expansive basic income package would be fleshed our to take care of them. "Protecting the economy" is rooted in the idea of protecting the elite's pockets rather than the average American's pockets. It's kind of sickening to see that we could be close to having "the masses" pitted against the "old and sick" to protect the rich's pockets in lieu of a better alternative that could supplant both the masses and the old/sick in a better fashion (but hurt the rich elite. And, no, you Mr. elite dawg reader are not part of that club. I'm talking about the 0.1% and the 0.01%. The 10 figures people. I highly doubt we have billionaires here.)

Friendly reminder that Jeff Bezos refuses paid sick leave for his workers. Senators asked him to stop because they can't make a law to tell him to stop.

Can you explain to me how funding the Kennedy Center and giving the House a raise is in the best interests of American lives while you're at it?

BeardoMSU
03-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Can you explain to me how funding the Kennedy Center and giving the House a raise is in the best interests of American lives while you're at it?

I know the optics of the "Kennedy Center" stipulation are terrible, but the Republicans also have their own pet projects injected in this bill. Politicians, R's and D's, are hardwired to push as much pork into bills (any and every bill, at any time, regardless of urgency) as possible, and it's definitely frustrating. I think most of us would agree on that.

That being said, McConnell is mentioning things like the "Kennedy Center" as being the primary holdups in this negotiation, but they're not, lol. But he just knows that will trigger people, and put pressure on the D's to agree to his terms. To put it more simply: that's politics.

Dolphus Raymond
03-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Leftist bias?
My bad. It will all be good by Easter, anyway so who cares?

msstate7
03-24-2020, 06:10 PM
Leftist bias?

Trump said he "hopes" it's better by Easter. Do you not share that same hope?

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 06:11 PM
I know the optics of the "Kennedy Center" stipulation are terrible, but the Republicans also have their own pet projects injected in this bill. Politicians, R's and D's, are hardwired to push as mu ch pork into bills (any and every bill, at any time, regardless of urgency) as possible, and it's definitely frustrating. I think most of us would agree on that.

That being said, McConnell is mentioning things like the "Kennedy Center" as being the primary holdups in this negotiation, but they're not, lol. But he just knows that will trigger people, and put pressure on the D's to agree to his terms. To put it more simply: that's politics.

That's what I'm saying. Both sides are being shitty.

dantheman4248
03-24-2020, 06:13 PM

Don't think my comment was an endorsement of Democrats lmfao.Part of the problem with American politics is as Beardo mentioned, injecting random ass shit into everything to make bills cover the most random pet projects ever. Both sides have their own issues. This ain't a zero sum game. Both democrats and republicans overall are negative parties for the common man. Closest thing to positive the American man had this cycle was Bernie and Yang. Thankfully their policies are at least injecting discussion among the American people.

But yea, Beardo pretty much hit the nail on the head with his response to you. And you can flip democrat/republican there at will. They both are horrible about all sides of that. (Injecting bs, triggering the masses, stoking the fire.)

BeardoMSU
03-24-2020, 06:16 PM
That's what I'm saying. Both sides are being shitty.

No arguments here. They just can't help themselves. A national emergency becomes an opportunity, in their eyes.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2020, 06:49 PM
No arguments here. They just can't help themselves. A national emergency becomes an opportunity, in their eyes.

Unfortunately this is true. Folks out here are pitching in and trying to help each other and get through this it's time for our politicians to do the same. I hear more and more stories everyday of people sacrificing and reaching out to do whatever they can to help others and it's time for our politicians to stop being Republicans and Democrats and start being human beings and Americans. Both sides have not handled this well. Put the partisan bs aside!

Homedawg
03-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Leftist bias?

What a post... good Lord. Who said it would be better? He said hoped. But glad your people put out such a good bill from the house. Carry on

Homedawg
03-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately this is true. Folks out here are pitching in and trying to help each other and get through this it's time for our politicians to do the same. I hear more and more stories everyday of people sacrificing and reaching out to do whatever they can to help others and it's time for our politicians to stop being Republicans and Democrats and start being human beings and Americans. Both sides have not handled this well. Put the partisan bs aside!
Well said

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Suggesting that people will be able to go back outside the day after we finally got people off the beaches is not what the country needed. Making statements like that will severely impact individuals decisions and they will all go out and be less cautious because he's downplaying the importance of social distancing in favor of business. As a result the virus will peak even worse than is already expected to and hospital supplies, that were already running out of, will be gone even faster now. We have to slow the rush to be able to manage this and anyone, President or otherwise, that does anything to contradict that goal right now is simply not a good American.

This isn't about left/right. It's about properly educating people about the steps they should be taking and offering consistent guidance. That's not being done and that is a colossal failure of leadership during the biggest domestic crisis potentially in the history of this nation.

Homedawg
03-24-2020, 07:47 PM
Suggesting that people will be able to go back outside the day after we finally got people off the beaches is not what the country needed. Making statements like that will severely impact individuals decisions and they will all go out and be less cautious because he's downplaying the importance of social distancing in favor of business. As a result the virus will peak even worse than is already expected to and hospital supplies, that were already running out of, will be gone even faster now. We have to slow the rush to be able to manage this and anyone, President or otherwise, that does anything to contradict that goal right now is simply not a good American.

This isn't about left/right. It's about properly educating people about the steps they should be taking and offering consistent guidance. That's not being done and that is a colossal failure of leadership during the biggest domestic crisis potentially in the history of this nation.

Yeah. The ones who stayed on the beach 8 days ago were listening so now they will even more? Give me a break... some arent going to listen. It's obvious. States that have "lockdowns" have people not listening. The only way to "stop" this is a full lockdown. Nobody goes in or out. That's not possible. Italy is living proof. A lockdown isn't working there. I'm not arguing that social distancing won't or isn't helping, but it's not going to stop it. This is going to run its course wo meds.

Dolphus Raymond
03-24-2020, 08:08 PM
While I have been extremely critical of the leadership at the very top, the governors thankfully, have filled the void. Governors like Cuomo (D) and DeWine (R) as well as others, are doing outstanding jobs. Very impressive.

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 08:50 PM
Yeah. The ones who stayed on the beach 8 days ago were listening so now they will even more? Give me a break... some arent going to listen. It's obvious. States that have "lockdowns" have people not listening. The only way to "stop" this is a full lockdown. Nobody goes in or out. That's not possible. Italy is living proof. A lockdown isn't working there. I'm not arguing that social distancing won't or isn't helping, but it's not going to stop it. This is going to run its course wo meds.

We have to flatten the curve to help the medical community. We are going to be well past capacity by mid April and hospital systems will begin to fail. That blow is coming. We have to soften it as much as possible. If people don't understand that and can't contribute to that, they're a poor American.

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 08:50 PM
While I have been extremely critical of the leadership at the very top, the governors thankfully, have filled the void. Governors like Cuomo (D) and DeWine (R) as well as others, are doing outstanding jobs. Very impressive.

Agreed.

Joebob
03-24-2020, 10:26 PM

I believe new infections are starting to fall in Italy in the last couple days, which would be right on queue from the start of the lockdowns (approx 12 days). We’ll have to keep our fingers crossed that this continues.

Todd4State
03-24-2020, 11:59 PM

The ONLY way to do a lockdown is to get both the police and National Guard involved.

Honestly, if I was President that's EXACTLY what I would have done.

Also if I was President Ole Miss would be burned to the ground and Hugh Freeze deported as a heretic.**

StateDawg44
03-25-2020, 07:36 AM
The ONLY way to do a lockdown is to get both the police and National Guard involved.

Honestly, if I was President that's EXACTLY what I would have done.

Also if I was President Ole Miss would be burned to the ground and Hugh Freeze deported as a heretic.**

2020's Dark Horse Candidate has spoken***

Dolphus Raymond
03-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Nationalize Ole Miss and turn it into a surgical mask collective.
This pandemic, I think we can all agree, sucks.

hacker
03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Speaking of Ole Miss, I assume we all saw this?

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/161/701/9701161.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds

msstate7
03-25-2020, 08:10 AM
Switzerland is being hit harder in cases per million than Italy, but no where close to the death rate.

Cases per million:
Switzerland 1175
Italy 1143

Death rate (on reported numbers):
Switzerland 0.013
Italy 0.096

Crazy how differently some countries get hit

BeardoMSU
03-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Switzerland is being hit harder in cases per million than Italy, but no where close to the death rate.

Cases per million:
Switzerland 1175
Italy 1143

Switzerland 0.013
Italy 0.096

We should explore the healing properties of wearing Rolex's and eating chocolate.**

msstate7
03-25-2020, 08:25 AM
We should explore the healing properties of wearing Rolex's and eating chocolate.**

Then I'm safe.

Johnson85
03-25-2020, 08:27 AM

Cases per million:
Switzerland 1175
Italy 1143

Switzerland 0.013
Italy 0.096thing
n
Be interesting to see how much of that is demographics and how much is differences in how widespread testing is and how much of it is just Switzerland being full of Swiss people so that everything, including the hospitals, just function better.

Dawgology
03-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Be interesting to see how much of that is demographics and how much is differences in how widespread testing is and how much of it is just Switzerland being full of Swiss people so that everything, including the hospitals, just function better.

This. I've no doubt that the Swiss medical staff and hospitals are about 400% better than what you have in Italy. I've got a friend living in Italy right now with the Air Force. She said that before all of this the Italian hospitals were a nightmare. She also said that up until about a week ago none of the locals were taking any of this seriously. There were still large groups of all ages out and about, socializing at pop-up parties, outside on the streets partying, etc. It is apparently infuriating the base leaders.

msstate7
03-25-2020, 08:42 AM
Germans doing better than Switzerland in death rate, but they do have a lesser infection rate.

Germany 406 cases per million
Death rate: .005

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 09:23 AM
So for the month of April, several americans are screwed, but hey, at least we are bailing out businesses immediately with this stimulus package. The American people should have saved and budgeted better. These poor billion dollar businesses have no way of surviving a month without meeting expected growth in income so we need to inject them with cash right away.

This house of cards economy built on a shoddy foundation of screwing over the working class is gonna eventually fail, and when it does, it will be ugly.

hacker
03-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Germans doing better than Switzerland in death rate, but they do have a lesser infection rate.

Germany 406 cases per million
Death rate: .005

I've read that Germany is doing extensive testing. They think they have almost all of their infected people tested, asymptomatic or not. I haven't seen that their hospitals are stressed yet. So I think their 0.5% death rate is probably the "best case scenario" death rate.

StateDawg44
03-25-2020, 10:04 AM
So for the month of April, several americans are screwed, but hey, at least we are bailing out businesses immediately with this stimulus package. The American people should have saved and budgeted better. These poor billion dollar businesses have no way of surviving a month without meeting expected growth in income so we need to inject them with cash right away.

This house of cards economy built on a shoddy foundation of screwing over the working class is gonna eventually fail, and when it does, it will be ugly.

I must not be able to see the part of your post about the actual virus. Like this thread is supposed to be about.

All I see is more of your political mumbo jumbo.

Dawg2003
03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
The numbers in Spain look rough.

deadheaddawg
03-25-2020, 10:13 AM
I must not be able to see the part of your post about the actual virus. Like this thread is supposed to be about.

All I see is you being hall monitor.

And to keep this on track for the hall monitors if you pass someone in a hall way, stay at least 6 feet away do to the virus

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Don't think my comment was an endorsement of Democrats lmfao.Part of the problem with American politics is as Beardo mentioned, injecting random ass shit into everything to make bills cover the most random pet projects ever. Both sides have their own issues. This ain't a zero sum game. Both democrats and republicans overall are negative parties for the common man. Closest thing to positive the American man had this cycle was Bernie and Yang. Thankfully their policies are at least injecting discussion among the American people.

But yea, Beardo pretty much hit the nail on the head with his response to you. And you can flip democrat/republican there at will. They both are horrible about all sides of that. (Injecting bs, triggering the masses, stoking the fire.)

Common man? You mean, as was discovered in previous posts, you are not quite a communist, but somewhere in-between a communist and capitalist, you want the government to control most every aspect of human activity. You are for government takeover of industry - especially healthcare. You want redistribution of wealth. These are your words from previous posts, not mine.

If you read further about the bill being signed, the relief package, it will provide direct financial checks to many Americans, drastically expand unemployment insurance, offer hundreds [of] billions in loans to both small and large businesses, and provide health care providers with additional resources as the virus spreads. Doesn't this include help for the "common man"? Sure, but no, you are not happy.

As was stated in The Wall Street Journal:

?President Trump can?t do right by some critics no matter what he does. For three years he?s been denounced as a reckless authoritarian, and now he?s attacked for not being authoritarian enough by refusing to commandeer American industry. The truth is that private industry is responding to the coronavirus? with support from the government rather than ?command and control,?.

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Speaking of Ole Miss, I assume we all saw this?

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/161/701/9701161.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds

Wow, I did not see this. But this is the level of contemptible, dirty, filthy, slimy, detestable things I expect from OM. Ice Cold indeed!

DownwardDawg
03-25-2020, 11:17 AM

I work for one of the worlds largest companies. I want them to continue to thrive. That way many people continue to make big salaries and keep buying shit and spending money. Otherwise it just gets uglier and uglier. I think most reasonable thinking Americans understand this concept.

StateDawg44
03-25-2020, 11:20 AM

All I see is you being hall monitor.

And to keep this on track for the hall monitors if you pass someone in a hall way, stay at least 6 feet away do to the virus

That's a cute response.

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2020, 11:24 AM
I've read that Germany is doing extensive testing. They think they have almost all of their infected people tested, asymptomatic or not. I haven't seen that their hospitals are stressed yet. So I think their 0.5% death rate is probably the "best case scenario" death rate.

My son has friends in Germany, that isn't the case.

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2020, 11:26 AM
I know the optics of the "Kennedy Center" stipulation are terrible, but the Republicans also have their own pet projects injected in this bill. Politicians, R's and D's, are hardwired to push as much pork into bills (any and every bill, at any time, regardless of urgency) as possible, and it's definitely frustrating. I think most of us would agree on that.

The hold up is always with the other side. THEY ALL ARE TRAITORS TO THEIR OATHS.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2020, 11:32 AM
I work for one of the worlds largest companies. I want them to continue to thrive. That way many people continue to make big salaries and keep buying shit and spending money. Otherwise it just gets uglier and uglier. I think most reasonable thinking Americans understand this concept.

Good post. People need to understand the trickle down effect. If large businesses fail or make cuts in their spending it trickles down to us small businesses. I have 2 accounts that are 2 of the largest home health and hospice providers in the country. They account for a large amount of our business. Guess what? If they make cuts in their spending and cut us off, we are pretty much done. I guarantee you it's this way for just about every small to medium size business out there. This virus is serious no doubt, and I'm not downplaying it, but if businesses start failing left and right and people lose everything, it's gonna make this virus look like a walk in the park.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Italy's eclipsed 10%. The US is still floating just below 1.5%

hacker
03-25-2020, 12:48 PM

Spain - 7.2%
UK - 5.2%
Germany - 0.5%
The whole world is at 4.5%

hacker
03-25-2020, 12:56 PM
My son has friends in Germany, that isn't the case.

Pardon me if I trust the word of Dr. Christian Drosten, Head of Virology at Charite Berlin, over your son's friends

Maverick
03-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Some of you are waaaay out in left field just like some of the media is. The President says we could possibly open parts of the USA back up for certain areas that are not heavily affected. The doctors agree that once the curve starts going down and baring some underlying issue they don't see why we shouldn't be able to do that.

Media asking questions says, "oh, so you're going to open up NYC?" Uh, no did they say that? Geeze.... use common sense and stop trying to put words in people's mouths.

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Trickle down economics used to work until inflation outpaced raises by way too much as those at the top started hoarding wealth.

Now the money doesn't trickle down. It gets stuck at the top as the wealth continually gets hoarded.

People with big salaries spend money up to a certain point, yes. But once we get past that point they have no need to spend everything and start hoarding it. This is where trickledown fails in practice.

Trickledown is the same as communism in that they are both great in theory; however, they have eventually failed every time in practice.

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 01:26 PM

This is a stimulus package released to help Americans be able to survive their bills during the pandemic. It's helpful info to know that in May everyone that made over $2500 income on 2018 tax returns (up to a certain point. I don't know specifics) will get about $1200 from the government. If you were disabled you don't get a check because that's not taxable income.

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Common man? You mean, as was discovered in previous posts, you are not quite a communist, but somewhere in-between a communist and capitalist, you want the government to control most every aspect of human activity. You are for government takeover of industry - especially healthcare. You want redistribution of wealth. These are your words from previous posts, not mine.

If you read further about the bill being signed, the relief package, it will provide direct financial checks to many Americans, drastically expand unemployment insurance, offer hundreds [of] billions in loans to both small and large businesses, and provide health care providers with additional resources as the virus spreads. Doesn't this include help for the "common man"? Sure, but no, you are not happy.

As was stated in The Wall Street Journal:

?President Trump can?t do right by some critics no matter what he does. For three years he?s been denounced as a reckless authoritarian, and now he?s attacked for not being authoritarian enough by refusing to commandeer American industry. The truth is that private industry is responding to the coronavirus? with support from the government rather than ?command and control,?.

You keep calling me communist like it's bad. I hope you respond to our private message and also can include if you think Heaven operates on a communistic approach or capitalistic approach.

And you missed my gripe. My gripe is that the businesses are being taken care of first. The check is not coming for the common man until may. Why are we "helping the businesses to help the common man" before we help the common man? Send those checks out TODAY. (within reason of course, but you can't tell me we can't automate this process to be done quickly. You've got the criteria to sort people into. That's the only hard part of this. The rest is just logistics.)

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 01:33 PM

Most reasonable americans understand the idea of this concept. More should notice where it has begun failing more and more.

Helping the common man indirectly is not as effective as helping them directly. Not right now.

Irondawg
03-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Think of the stimulus like the air bags in an airplane. There the training says for the adults to take care of themselves first and then take care of the dependents. That's basically the school of thought although most big people today think "big business" and immediately go to "exorbitant C-level salaries" and equate big business to being an enemy of the common man.

Not to mention is much easier to set up taking care of businesses with a system, some of which is already in place, versus cutting several million individual checks. Would I like it to be faster? Absolutely but I'm just glad they are doing something.

Both needed to be taken care and and to some level both are. No idea yet if it's the best thing, but they didn't have a month to sit around and debate and write the thing either.

Irondawg
03-25-2020, 01:46 PM
And not to make light of anyone losing their life but I just looked up the death toll and according to worldometer it's at ~21K.

Isn't that way, way below some initial worldwide projections for this point in time?

Hoping that's correct and that's a good thing

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 02:21 PM
You keep calling me communist like it's bad. I hope you respond to our private message and also can include if you think Heaven operates on a communistic approach or capitalistic approach.

What an idiot!! Oh my God, you think Communism is Good? What an ignorance of history - power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! You need to read history of all the communist countries through out history and see how they operate and how they ultimately end. Capitalism is not perfect but it is FAR above anything communism has to offer. You need to move to Russia comrade and see how you will like it!

Yes, I did respond, read your private messages!!

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 02:33 PM
What an idiot!! Oh my God, you think Communism is Good? What an ignorance of history - power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! You need to read history of all the communist countries through out history and see how they operate and how they ultimately end. Capitalism is not perfect but it is FAR above anything communism has to offer. You need to move to Russia comrade and see how you will like it!

Yes, I did respond, read your private messages!!

Communism in theory = good. Communism in practice = bad.

The problem is the leader must be whole and pure. No man is able to be that eternally. My question was not about Earth but about Heaven. Perfect communism will never be attained on Earth w/o divine intervention.

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 02:52 PM
Communism in theory = good. Communism in practice = bad.

The problem is the leader must be whole and pure. No man is able to be that eternally. My question was not about Earth but about Heaven. Perfect communism will never be attained on Earth w/o divine intervention.

You just proved my whole point on communism!! Thanks!!!!! There are no earthly leaders that are pure and whole. Thank you again!!!

KOdawg1
03-25-2020, 03:04 PM
Idk how, but this thread just keeps getting worse

Johnson85
03-25-2020, 03:12 PM

And you missed my gripe. My gripe is that the businesses are being taken care of first. The check is not coming for the common man until may. Why are we "helping the businesses to help the common man" before we help the common man? Send those checks out TODAY. (within reason of course, but you can't tell me we can't automate this process to be done quickly. You've got the criteria to sort people into. That's the only hard part of this. The rest is just logistics.)

We'll see when the text comes out, but I can almost guarantee we are not helping business before the common man. Most likely, the first thing available is going to be expanded unemployment insurance. Businesses will not get anything either until they apply for and get some type of loan, or until they reduce or take a deduction/credit against their quarterly tax payments.

But beyond that, businesses are being helped because policymakers (and I assume individuals) want people helped primarily by them staying employed in their current job, not by getting unemployment or getting direct checks that are a pittance in the grand theme of things compared to getting to keep a regular paycheck.

ETA: Sending checks indiscriminately to people regardless of how they've been impacted by coronavirus shutdowns and regardless of their ability to weather the storm seems like the least important part of the stimulus and the most complicated to roll out other than maybe some of the loan programs. Doesn't seem crazy that it would be last to get done.

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Idk how, but this thread just keeps getting worse

LOL, I know. I am afraid I am part of it, in this thread, but who knew we had communist comrades on this board spouting ideas foreign to our founding fathers and our Judeo-Christian beginnings? Very hard to let them go unchallenged! I apologize for the distraction to the original post. :confused:

StateDawg44
03-25-2020, 03:18 PM
This is a stimulus package released to help Americans be able to survive their bills during the pandemic. It's helpful info to know that in May everyone that made over $2500 income on 2018 tax returns (up to a certain point. I don't know specifics) will get about $1200 from the government. If you were disabled you don't get a check because that's not taxable income.

Exaaaaaaactly...

The bolded is all your post required to get the same point across. Thanks!

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Exaaaaaaactly...

The bolded is all your post required to get the same point across. Thanks!

Yep I don't know the specifics on one section so I know nothing. If a mathematician doesn't know the specific answer to fermat's last theorem then he's not a mathematician. Bad logic is bad.

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 03:48 PM
You just proved my whole point on communism!! Thanks!!!!! There are no earthly leaders that are pure and whole. Thank you again!!!

Ok so we're almost there. Bear with me. You've almost made it.

So is it bad to like the communist ideals since there is no earthly leader capable? I've said that it wouldn't work, but there is still manners in which we can come close but not fall to the same pitfalls as many before.

And just to reiterate is heaven communist or capitalist? Am I communist for wanting a communist heaven?

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Pardon me if I trust the word of Dr. Christian Drosten, Head of Virology at Charite Berlin, over your son's friends

Ok. Whatever.

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2020, 04:24 PM
Y'all either need to open back up the political board or kill this tread, geez.

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 04:32 PM
Ok so we're almost there. Bear with me. You've almost made it.

So is it bad to like the communist ideals since there is no earthly leader capable? I've said that it wouldn't work, but there is still manners in which we can come close but not fall to the same pitfalls as many before.

And just to reiterate is heaven communist or capitalist? Am I communist for wanting a communist heaven?

Again, you confuse being ruled by man (communism an earthly institution) and being ruled by God - in Heaven! God's rule is not communistic, it is Theocratic, all of our needs are provided by him - not man!

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2020, 04:52 PM
MS now has its third death. Male age 65-70 in Webster county with underlying conditions.

dantheman4248
03-25-2020, 05:12 PM
Again, you confuse being ruled by man (communism an earthly institution) and being ruled by God - in Heaven! God's rule is not communistic, it is Theocratic, all of our needs are provided by him - not man!

So your ideal state is where the ruler provides all our needs? You want God to control most every aspect of human activity. You are for God's takeover of industry? Especially healthcare? You want redistribution of wealth within heaven? You want all basic needs met?

Are you having your "Oh" moment yet?

If not and you are stilly willfully being blind then this is where I leave you. Maybe more prayer and less explicit Bible study would be better for you. There's no substitute for a good old fashioned chat with God. Not even the Bible can touch that. Though it can surely try. So read Leviticus 20:17 and then understand wholly the relation of Abraham and Sarah. Specifically what happens on Genisis 17:16. Marinate on that and think about it. (It's not pointing out a contradiction. It's something completely the opposite.)

BeardoMSU
03-25-2020, 05:14 PM
Dan and Extend....will you guys please take your discussion to private message?

TheLostDawg
03-25-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm sure that you know this but their population on average is 15? Years older than ours.
I'm not sure how Italy is testing either. Are they testing only the sick or everyone with contact. If they are testing people with contact of someone diagnosed and the number is still at 10% that's really scary

Extendedcab
03-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Dan and Extend....will you guys please take your discussion to private message?

BeardO, we did but Dantheman keeps bringing it back to the public thread. He doesn't understand that he doesn't understand!

BeardoMSU
03-25-2020, 05:41 PM
BeardO, we did but Dantheman keeps bringing it back to the public thread. He doesn't understand that he doesn't understand!

Look, I'm not taking sides, but if that is the case, then don't take bait; and that can apply to both of you. Y'all's discussion isn't remotely germane to the thread.

hacker
03-25-2020, 05:53 PM
I'm sure that you know this but their population on average is 15? Years older than ours.
I'm not sure how Italy is testing either. Are they testing only the sick or everyone with contact. If they are testing people with contact of someone diagnosed and the number is still at 10% that's really scary

The same thing is happening in Spain. 736 deaths today. Up to 7.3%.

Irondawg
03-25-2020, 06:16 PM
And not to make light of anyone losing their life but I just looked up the death toll and according to worldometer it's at ~21K.

Isn't that way, way below some initial worldwide projections for this point in time?

Hoping that's correct and that's a good thing

Bringing this back up since it got lost in the banter

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2020, 06:32 PM
Two more deaths today. Now brings our total to 4. One was upper 80's and one in her 70's.

Todd4State
03-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Bringing this back up since it got lost in the banter

I don't know- but I would like to see a projection that compares.

Probably aren't very many out there over fear that if wre ae doing better than anticipated people may slack off and go to the beach or have parties or something.

hacker
03-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Two more deaths today. Now brings our total to 4. One was upper 80's and one in her 70's.

5 now

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/03/25/coronavirus-death-reported-webster-county/

Dolphus Raymond
03-25-2020, 07:11 PM
I become more concerned about the impacts of this pandemic by the day, and it is not just sickness and death. When things began tanking, I believed (hoped, maybe) that the economy would rebound quickly, but now I no longer have such confidence. The banks are solvent, so that is not a huge concern, but other sectors, particularly for our region the oil and gas industry are very worrisome. If, in the next few months, oil does not rebound to at least $45.00 per bbl, the economies of Miss. Louisiana and Texas are going to go into a death spiral. Low double digit unemployment and the resulting wrecked state budgets could become a reality.

TheLostDawg
03-25-2020, 07:39 PM
The same thing is happening in Spain. 736 deaths today. Up to 7.3%.

That's crazy. Do you know the average age there?

dawgday166
03-25-2020, 08:39 PM
So let me get something straight. And before I get this straight I'll just say this ... When people were bashing Obama in 2009 over H1N1, I defended him. And it primarily affected my age group. When I defend Trump now, it's for the same reason and while I'm close to being in the affected age group, I'm not quite there just yet. The reason I defended both Obama and Trump is ... when you're trading all the possible impacts due to either disease they're in untenable positions. There are no good options.

Now for what I'm trying to get straight. If I'm reading it right from a source or two ... We can shut the country down, have almost everyone teleworking, probably virtually destroy whole segments of our economy (hotels, airlines, cruises, travel, restaurants, some entertainment, etc.) and the folks that wanted to do all of that are up in arms now cause Trump (and Fauci) say that anyone traveling out of NY to other states should self quarantine for 14 days. Seriously???

Seems to be the same folks that trashed him for shutting travel from China down.

In the meantime, let's open up the political/religious debate on this thread to ... does anyone really think those industries mentioned above will be able to rebound very quickly immediately following the defeat of the virus?

Todd4State
03-25-2020, 08:47 PM
So let me get something straight. And before I get this straight I'll just say this ... When people were bashing Obama in 2009 over H1N1, I defended him. And it primarily affected my age group. When I defend Trump now, it's for the same reason and while I'm close to being in the affected age group, I'm not quite there just yet. The reason I defended both Obama and Trump is ... when you're trading all the possible impacts due to either disease they're in untenable positions. There are no good options.

Now for what I'm trying to get straight. If I'm reading it right from a source or two ... We can shut the country down, have almost everyone teleworking, probably virtually destroy whole segments of our economy (hotels, airlines, cruises, travel, restaurants, some entertainment, etc.) and the folks that wanted to do all of that are up in arms now cause Trump (and Fauci) say that anyone traveling out of NY to other states should self quarantine for 14 days. Seriously???

Seems to be the same folks that trashed him for shutting travel from China down.

In the meantime, let's open up the political/religious debate on this thread to ... does anyone really think those industries mentioned above will be able to rebound very quickly immediately following the defeat of the virus?

I think those industries will definitely take a hit no matter what. Just a small example- I was going to stay in Starkville for SBW. Now that it has been cancelled I'm certainly not going to go just to go to Starkville essentially. So my hotel and whatever restaurants I would have eaten at lost my money because of COVID. So for this year they're definitely going to take a hit no matter what.

hacker
03-25-2020, 09:00 PM
That's crazy. Do you know the average age there?

Median age:
Italy: 45.5
Spain: 42.3
US: 38.1

Commercecomet24
03-25-2020, 09:54 PM

Good post. I travel a lot for business and now my schedule has been scrapped for who knows how long. I spend 90 or so nights a year in hotels, eating at restaurants near those hotels, spending on other things while I'm on the road and I'm just one person. Pretty much no one is traveling now so the travel, hospitality, restaurants and such business are gonna take a big hit. I'm pretty lucky right now because I work in medical equipment Industry and I actually should have an increase in business over the next few months(although who knows at this point).. Other folks are not gonna be so lucky. I pray for all affected by this because all of us are being affected in one way or another, no one is immune to this crisis

hacker
03-25-2020, 10:18 PM
13347 new cases and 247 new deaths in the United States today

> 1000 total deaths

Homedawg
03-25-2020, 10:53 PM
Not trying to belittle the situation at all, and I understand we need to "control it ". But that's only Bc of hospitals. This thing is going to run its course non matter what we do. There is not such thing as lock down. People have to eat and get Medicine etc. so you can't keep everyone home.... heck 1mil plus die in car crashes every year and that doesn't stop traffic....but the side effects of this, suicide, depression, etc will equal the death toll in the US when this is all said and done it's sad. There is a way to slow it, but no way to stop it.

defiantdog
03-25-2020, 11:11 PM

> 1000 total deaths

Dude..... you are nothing but pessimism when it comes to this shit. I get it..... we're ****ed. But at least give some optimism. Like..... Italy may have peaked and is showing upside. Or..... a lot of states in the US locked down early and it may have helped the spread of the virus. All you keep talking about is how many people have died. **** you man. I hear enough of that shit on the news.

BeardoMSU
03-25-2020, 11:26 PM
Dude..... you are nothing but pessimism when it comes to this shit. I get it..... we're ****ed. But at least give some optimism. Like..... Italy may have peaked and is showing upside. Or..... a lot of states in the US locked down early and it may have helped the spread of the virus. All you keep talking about is how many people have died. **** you man. I hear enough of that shit on the news.

Those are just the numbers he is posting. If it causes feelings of "pessimism" how is that his fault? Seriously, dude. Those numbers represent humans who've died from this, so how does ignoring or downplaying them in any way do them any sort of justice?

hacker
03-25-2020, 11:33 PM
Not trying to belittle the situation at all, and I understand we need to "control it ". But that's only Bc of hospitals. This thing is going to run its course non matter what we do. There is not such thing as lock down. People have to eat and get Medicine etc. so you can't keep everyone home.... heck 1mil plus die in car crashes every year and that doesn't stop traffic....but the side effects of this, suicide, depression, etc will equal the death toll in the US when this is all said and done it's sad. There is a way to slow it, but no way to stop it.

And a lot more people will die in car crashes if they can't get a hospital bed. The whole point of social distancing is to try to slow down the spread of the virus so that hospitals aren't at capacity.

hacker
03-25-2020, 11:38 PM

Jeez. I've posted a lot of "good" numbers.

Here's one more, hope it helps:

- Mississippi's new cases were down today and have been roughly the same for the past 4 days

deadheaddawg
03-25-2020, 11:42 PM
Right now is the time people should put their "gut feelings" and their "common sense" on the back burner and listen to the people in the field of study.

Lockdowns won't be perfect, some will still be assholes, but locking as much down as possible might keep.this from going from bad to catastrophic.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2020, 11:48 PM

This! 100% agree.

defiantdog
03-25-2020, 11:49 PM

- Mississippi's new cases were down today and have been roughly the same for the past 4 days

You have talked about the fatality percentage in nearly every post on this thread.

Maverick
03-26-2020, 12:23 AM
You have talked about the fatality percentage in nearly every post on this thread.

I'll lighten the mood. America will end up being stronger when we come out of this. We are resilient and always have been. When the final numbers hit it'll look like we did a pretty dang good job handling this.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2020, 12:51 AM
I'll lighten the mood. America will end up being stronger when we come out of this. We are resilient and always have been. When the final numbers hit it'll look like we did a pretty dang good job handling this.

Classic move. Go with a joke to lighten the mood.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 06:03 AM
Delete

msstate7
03-26-2020, 06:09 AM

> 1000 total deaths

Death rate at 3 per million right now, which is tied with Germany and South Korea.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 06:14 AM

You should know by now that anything trump does is the wrong thing.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 06:41 AM

Yup

shoeless joe
03-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Are the # tested the same as before? I’d assume it’s at least equal if not higher.

Dawg2003
03-26-2020, 08:20 AM

To be fair, in the beginning of the thread, he said he was just interested in the statistics. He's literally just relaying numbers.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 09:02 AM
What's Washington state's numbers looking like since they essentially led off in the US? I can find total numbers, but not day-by-day

hacker
03-26-2020, 09:14 AM
What's Washington state's numbers looking like since they essentially led off in the US? I can find total numbers, but not day-by-day

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET_ZzoZXsAA5PKq?format=jpg&name=large

Much, much better than NY

Here's a link to the numbers: https://covidtracking.com/data/state/washington/#history

hacker
03-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Are the # tested the same as before? I’d assume it’s at least equal if not higher.

It's hard to tell because MSDH doesn't give info on the # tests coming in from private labs, but their official numbers were actually quite lower yesterday.

71 official tests, 57 positive

The day before was 480 tests, 71 positive

It's hard to make sense of the test #s. I wish they'd start counting negatives from outside sources.

Extendedcab
03-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Death rate at 3 per million right now, which is tied with Germany and South Korea.

Sorry I am having difficulty with the reported death rate numbers and with comparing one countries numbers to another. The reason is:

The criteria for who gets tested is "most likely" different per country (in MS for example you had to have a fever above 101.5 in order to be tested)
The numbers do not include people that have the virus and have not been tested because they did not meet the criteria (this will reduce the death rate - percentage wise)

I know it is the only number we have, but I think we "most likely" are comparing apples to oranges.

hacker
03-26-2020, 10:10 AM
108 new cases in MS. About 35% increase in our previous largest day of new cases.

Lauderdale gets its first 3 cases

DeSoto takes over as the county with the most cases

87 total cases in metro area (Hinds, Rankin, Madison)

Oktibbeha up to 10 cases

Dolphus Raymond
03-26-2020, 10:16 AM
A disturbing trend

shoeless joe
03-26-2020, 10:49 AM
A disturbing trend

Not a surprising one tho.

KOdawg1
03-26-2020, 11:25 AM
We've now passed Italy for the second most Covid-19 cases in the world. Only a fraction of their deaths though.

KOdawg1
03-26-2020, 11:27 AM
I'm a Republican through and through, but I've been impressed with Gov. Cuomo in New York. He's a leader. I think he could win a presidential election one day.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 11:30 AM
"Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson?s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000.

Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson broke down the bombshell report via Twitter on Thursday morning "

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemiologist-behind-highly-cited-coronavirus-model-admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwbrand

hacker
03-26-2020, 11:31 AM
I'm a Republican through and through, but I've been impressed with Gov. Cuomo in New York. He's a leader. I think he could win a presidential election one day.

I think 95% of politicians are terrible people and I've also been impressed with the way he's handling it. I thought the same as you about president, actually.

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 11:35 AM
"Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson?s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.

Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson broke down the bombshell report via Twitter on Thursday morning "

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemiologist-behind-highly-cited-coronavirus-model-admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwbrand

Yep, I talked to a leading infectious disease doctor at uab last week and he said the numbers were being exaggerated big time.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Yep, I talked to a leading infectious disease doctor at uab last week and he said the numbers were being exaggerated big time.

If his revised prediction comes true, good luck convincing people when the next threat comes along, and it could be even more serious. If this comes in at 25x less severe than predicted, Epidemiologists' field will take a huge blow in credibility

Extendedcab
03-26-2020, 11:52 AM
Overall perspective on COVID-19:

"About 80% of people get a very mild illness and they recover uneventfully. That's important to realize," said Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician with Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

An additional 15% of people infected with coronavirus have more serious symptoms, and 5% develop life-threatening illness, experts say.

confucius say
03-26-2020, 11:56 AM
Stock market up big again today so far. That's positive.

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 11:57 AM
If his revised prediction comes true, good luck convincing people when the next threat comes along, and it could be even more serious. If this comes in at 25x less severe than predicted, Epidemiologists' field will take a huge blow in credibility

Yep, that's why this doctor I talked with wished they would've excercised a little more caution in these numbers. This guy's been doing this for over 20+ years and is at the top of his field. He alieved a lot of my concerns over the virus itself. I'm hoping and praying that this thing does level off and the rate of infections and deaths is way lower than some were predicting.

BB30
03-26-2020, 12:00 PM
These are all fair points. My rebuttal to china and russia is that canada and europe seem to have certain aspects of the healthcare figured out that we don't. The VA hospitals man... just an absolute travesty.

I don't think UH or UBI are a magic cure-all. And I agree that bureaucracy destroys it. It's absolutely mindnumbing to see people wanting to go backwards however. And I still believe we gotta try. There's no perfect solution path (anyone who says there is, is lying.) But there's definitely steps better than we got. As for the hospitals being the DMV, I mean for a lot of people it can be, even in the ER. Not VA level bad, but it's gotten pretty bad.

Sidenote: We could all (myself included) take a lesson from this post. This is how we should be discussing things. Together not against.

Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.

Liverpooldawg
03-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.

So, do we have to line up in front of a two way TV and exercise? I think I've seen that somewhere before.

hacker
03-26-2020, 12:21 PM
From 0 to 250,000 cases: 4 months
From 250,000 to 500,000 cases: 1 week

Terrifying. And still accelerating.

Dawgology
03-26-2020, 12:35 PM
From 0 to 250,000 cases: 4 months
From 250,000 to 500,000 cases: 1 week

Terrifying. And still accelerating.

Considering they've just developed a test within the last month that reliably identifies this virus that is not suprising at all. A lot of people need to take a break from the internet for a while. Science doesn't exist in a vacuum and (believe it or not) science does not have an answer for everything immediatly. It would probably scare many of you to know at what level your are "winging it" many times until you can create and vaildate a method or assay. Numbers are rising (and will continue to rise) at an exponential rate because we are testing at an exponential rate now. These numbers are not tracking the rate at which the virus is spreading they are tracking the rate at which we are testing now. As more supply gets out there more tests will be run, restrictions for testing will be dropped, more people will be able to test, and the numbers will rise dramatically.

Additionally, if a "take at home" test is released (which is being rumored now) I can see numbers jumping up by the hundreds of thousands daily. The majority of those will be mild or asymptomatic.

StateDawg44
03-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Considering they've just developed a test within the last month that reliably identifies this virus that is not suprising at all. A lot of people need to take a break from the internet for a while. Science doesn't exist in a vacuum and (believe it or not) science does not have an answer for everything immediatly. It would probably scare many of you to know at what level your are "winging it" many times until you can create and vaildate a method or assay. Numbers are rising (and will continue to rise) at an exponential rate because we are testing at an exponential rate now. These numbers are not tracking the rate at which the virus is spreading they are tracking the rate at which we are testing now. As more supply gets out there more tests will be run, restrictions for testing will be dropped, more people will be able to test, and the numbers will rise dramatically.

Additionally, if a "take at home" test is released (which is being rumored now) I can see numbers jumping up by the hundreds of thousands daily. The majority of those will be mild or asymptomatic.

While people testing positive isn't great, this would be great so we could actually get some real numbers to base these graphs off of and a real understanding of how serious this is.

confucius say
03-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Considering there have been 23k deaths worldwide and millions of cases, I actually think the numbers are pretty good (relatively speaking).

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 01:18 PM

Please stop saying things that aren?t true. A million people do not die in car crashes each year.

That?s insane. Please don?t just regurgitate bullshit that you hear on television.

In 2018 there were over 36,000 car related deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year#cite_n ote-9

confucius say
03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Please stop saying things that aren?t true. A million people do not die in car crashes each year.

That?s insane. Please don?t just regurgitate bullshit that you hear on television.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year#cite_n ote-9

Don't be an ass. That's 36k in America right? I'm seeing well over a million, close to 1.5 million, worldwide.

Homedawg
03-26-2020, 01:50 PM

Where did I say in the us? worldwide bro....

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 02:02 PM
Where did I say in the us? worldwide bro....

Fair enough - but its such a straw man argument.

In the US - we average roughly 100 car related deaths every day. Yesterday there were 80 COVID-19 deaths in New York from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.

We also just passed Italy in number of Covid-19 related cases.

Dolphus Raymond
03-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Governor Edwards of Louisiana is having a news conference. CV cases up 28% since yesterday. An additional 18 deaths. Damn.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2020, 02:56 PM
"its an overreaction"

"its the medias fault"

"well it is not as bad as car wrecks"...

The progression of spin and mental gymnastics by the people that have not taken this seriously or are trying so desperately to downplay this is astonishing. Who needs sports? We can just watch them and see how long they continue with their dig their heels and look silly as time passes.

But it is too bad this attitude to downplay it will cost lives.

confucius say
03-26-2020, 03:09 PM
"its an overreaction"

"its the medias fault"

"well it is not as bad as car wrecks"...

The progression of spin and mental gymnastics by the people that have not taken this seriously or are trying so desperately to downplay this is astonishing. Who needs sports? We can just watch them and see how long they continue with their dig their heels and look silly as time passes.

But it is too bad this attitude to downplay it will cost lives.

I think the difference is what some expected vs others. Frankly, it's not near as bad as I thought it would be (yet) so I'm not freaking out. I thought we'd be looking at 100k deaths nationwide and some kind of national tragedy, now I am thinking half of that or less. Does that suck? Yes. But it would be similar to a really bad flu season (61k died in America from the flu in 2018 flu season per the cdc).

Dolphus Raymond
03-26-2020, 03:10 PM
DeadHead, truer words have never been spoken. The BS being spewed by some defies logic.
Less than three weeks ago, a
church near Little Rock had an Easter program. The result? Over
30 new cases. Not knocking religion (Yes, I am a believer. ) but that pastor in Louisiana who continues to hold services needs to be ?Baker Acted? and put in a mental hospital. He is seeking martyrdom by hoping his church will be forcibly shut down. People will die because of him.

Political Hack
03-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Please help your healthcare professionals right now and respect the catastrophe that's about to hit. Downplaying this will result in everyone getting sick at once sending 100's of thousands of people to the hospital and will QUICKLY surpass our hospital capacity in many regions across the country. The logistical nightmare that's hitting the medical industry right now is unprecedented, not to mention that a significant percentage of their workforce is about to be sick. They need our help and if you're too stubborn to acknowledge and respect that, you're an asshole.

Sundawg1974
03-26-2020, 03:48 PM

So the same crew comes in and says we?re not paying attention the to experts??-but here?s an expert that they were quoting who now they?re not paying attention to. Odd.

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 03:52 PM
Governor Edwards of Louisiana is having a news conference. CV cases up 28% since yesterday. An additional 18 deaths. Damn.

28% seems to be the common theme right now as far as progression;

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 03:56 PM
So the same crew comes in and says we?re not paying attention the to experts??-but here?s an expert that they were quoting who now they?re not paying attention to. Odd.

This is the model that all the experts were basing there numbers on. EVERYONE needs to read what he's saying now and he's not the only one saying the original numbers may have been greatly inflated.

Political Hack
03-26-2020, 03:56 PM
28% seems to be the common theme right now as far as progression;

The case number isn't really that important given that 4 out of 5 can go undetected. The % positive of the number tested is the most compelling stat to me when it comes to understand what percentage of the population is likely infected. New York and Louisiana are far and away ahead of everyone else in % positive.

hacker
03-26-2020, 03:59 PM
This is the model that all the experts were basing there numbers on. EVERYONE needs to read what he's saying now and he's not the only one saying the original numbers may have been greatly inflated.

The whole article and tweet thread from Alex K is misinformation.

The guy updated the model and the numbers still show 2.18 million deaths in the US (down from 2.2 million) if we don't do anything.

ETA Proof:

https://i.imgur.com/hqy5mpA.png

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 04:01 PM

The guy updated the model and the numbers still show 2.18 million deaths in the US (down from 2.2 million) if we don't do anything. I read it earlier.

That's the thing we have done something.

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 04:01 PM
That's the thing we have done something.

ETA And I'm hoping and praying that the numbers are way off.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 04:02 PM

The guy updated the model and the numbers still show 2.18 million deaths in the US (down from 2.2 million) if we don't do anything. I read it earlier.

2.18 million deaths? Good grief that's ridiculous

ETA... let's roll with this as the gospel though. When this is over, subtract the actual US deaths from 2.18 million, and that's how many lives trump saved, right?

hacker
03-26-2020, 04:07 PM
I'm not saying I agree with the numbers, but I did want to point out that the article is bs.

Seems there's a lot of those articles lately for some reason..

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 04:11 PM
I'm not saying I agree with the numbers, but I did want to point out that the article is bs.

Seems there's a lot of those articles lately for some reason..

Well here's what the guy told parliament:

The UK should now be able to cope with the spread of the covid-19 virus, according to one of the epidemiologists advising the government.

Neil Ferguson at Imperial College London gave evidence today to the UK’s parliamentary select committee on science and technology as part of an inquiry into the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower.

The need for intensive care beds will get very close to capacity in some areas, but won’t be breached at a national level, said Ferguson. The projections are based on computer simulations of the virus spreading, which take into account the properties of the virus, the reduced transmission between people asked to stay at home and the capacity of hospitals, particularly intensive care units.

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 04:14 PM
Well here's what the guy told parliament:

The UK should now be able to cope with the spread of the covid-19 virus, according to one of the epidemiologists advising the government.

Neil Ferguson at Imperial College London gave evidence today to the UK’s parliamentary select committee on science and technology as part of an inquiry into the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower.

The need for intensive care beds will get very close to capacity in some areas, but won’t be breached at a national level, said Ferguson. The projections are based on computer simulations of the virus spreading, which take into account the properties of the virus, the reduced transmission between people asked to stay at home and the capacity of hospitals, particularly intensive care units.

So not BS unless he's lying to parliament.

msstate7
03-26-2020, 04:25 PM
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1243249127984517121?s=20

The guy we're discussing above said had we done nothing, COVID19 would have infected 7 billion people and killed 40 million. WTH, there's 7.6 billion people on earth, 92% infection. Tell me again how many kids are getting this?

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 04:26 PM

https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/status/1243275950978039808

For some reason I can't embed this tweet and graph.

hacker
03-26-2020, 04:30 PM

Yes! The UK recently went on full lockdown, so he's speaking in context of that.

The article claims he changed his stance when in fact, he did not. His model has always had the "unmitigated" scenario and the "suppression" scenario. It just happens that the UK recently decided to go with the "suppression" strategy so now he believes they have a chance.

The article leads you to believe that he suddenly had some realization that things aren't as bad as they seem. Not true. The numbers in the model are basically the same as they were a couple weeks ago. (They are slightly lower, like the 2.2 mil -> 2.18 mil I posted above)

msstate7
03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Here is great graph - The projections seem the same. We can keep it to under 100K deaths in North America with severe suppression techniques. Moderate suppression still has it killing 520K in North America.

https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/status/1243275950978039808

520,000 in North America? We're at 1142 in us, canada, and Mexico right now. You think it's gonna get 455x worse?

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 04:40 PM
520,000 in North America? We're at 1142 in us, canada, and Mexico right now. You think it's gonna get 455x worse?

On March 6 we had 233 cases.

20 days later we have 81,578 cases. The most in the world.

So things have gotten 350 times worse in twenty days.

Sure - its not 455 times worse. But still a lot worse. Where will we be in another 20 days. If thins are only 20 times worse in 20 days - we will 1.6 million cases by April 15th.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2020, 04:42 PM

That less than a quarter of 1% of the population. What besides "your gut" leads you to believe that isn't possible?

msstate7
03-26-2020, 04:47 PM
That less than a quarter of 1% of the population. What besides "your gut" leads you to believe that isn't possible?

Spain is the worst death rate in the world. They are currently sitting at 136 deaths per million (.000136). To get to your total, we'd have be 18 times worse. Currently, we (just us) are 45.3x better than them

Commercecomet24
03-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Once again this is not gonna be as bad as some believe and will be worse than others believe. Pray that it's best case scenario.

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 05:05 PM
Spain is the worst death rate in the world. They are currently sitting at 136 deaths per million (.000136). To get to your total, we'd have be 18 times worse. Currently, we (just us) are 45.3x better than them

The death rate that is relevant is death rate of people affected. Italy is now over 10% death rate for those tested positive. Most experts predicted that as their hospitals were overwhelmed. Spain's death rate is around 6%.

Our death rate is around 1.5% which is good, but we have not hit the cross over point where the lack of health care affects the death rate except in places like in New York where people are not getting the care you need to survive.

Look - hopefully we are all doing part and the numbers simply flatten out so that we can keep that death rate, but without a cure and how easy this spreads and the number of people still not staying home and doing their part - if the growth rate continues at 23-28% which where it has been for a while - then this keeps doubling every 3 days. Lets hope it really flattens out over the next week, but so far every model showing this virus spreading and doubling has been for the most part too damn accurate.

I mean we are at 81,000+ cases. We had 200+ twenty days ago. At some point people may have to utter those three little words on a sports message board that no one wants to type.

I was wrong.

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Per this tweet - Italy's numbers are worse

https://twitter.com/williamreggler/status/1243258088859127808

Dawg2003
03-26-2020, 05:10 PM
I've been hopeful that the rural nature of our state would shield us from the worst of it, but the numbers are troubling. Add that to the fact that we have such an unhealthy population anyway and the majority are overweight. I worry about it. We're a poor state with few resources. We have a lot of rural hospitals that simply can't handle this.