PDA

View Full Version : THE 2020 MSU Football Recruiting Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 06:45 PM
That's what I assumed

Crazy thing is, French officially visted Arkansas this weekend and decommitted 1 day later. That ain't good for coach Morris

KOdawg1
10-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Not totally a surprise, but Tamarion McDonald (OLB from Memphis) announced his decommitment. I know we get a decent player from there every now and then, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we just stayed clear of Memphis. That place is a mess.

Anyways, I would assume Jayland Parker now becomes a target, but other than him, who else is on our OLB board?

msstate7
10-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Not totally a surprise, but Tamarion McDonald (OLB from Memphis) announced his decommitment. I know we get a decent player from there every now and then, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we just stayed clear of Memphis. That place is a mess.

Anyways, I would assume Jayland Parker now becomes a target, but other than him, who else is on our OLB board?

If gay leaves, next year could be brutal at lb

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Rodney Groce.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2019, 09:41 PM

Thompson & Wheat would be a very solid duo but the depth would be very questionable.

KOdawg1
10-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Rodney Groce.

Thought he was ILB?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Thought he was ILB?

He is. They'll still look for an OLB too. Jayland Parker still on the board too.

KOdawg1
10-22-2019, 09:52 PM
He is. They'll still look for an OLB too. Jayland Parker still on the board too.

Do you believe Groce is an SEC player? I've seen some concerns on his speed

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2019, 09:55 PM
Do you believe Groce is an SEC player? I've seen some concerns on his speed

I still question it. I have watched his Sr film & he is a step quicker because he lost 10-15lbs from end of spring to the season.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8126229/5dad5364e97a460f2486b262

Bothrops
10-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Hope Gay returns.

I'd go get 2 LB's.

Irondawg
10-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Groce seems like he has a good motor but he's essentially playing DE in the clips I saw and there was nothing that showed off pursuit speed.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2019, 10:11 AM

I can't see Gay leaving

Homedawg
10-23-2019, 11:21 AM
I can't see Gay leaving

60-40.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2019, 11:25 AM
60-40.

I can't believe that.

With such little game tape, he ain't going in the top 4 rounds. No chance. He'd be the flyer someone took in the 5th-7th.

He'd be leaving a ridiculous amount of money on the table by leaving a year early.

I'd 80/20 he's back & it may be closer to 90

Homedawg
10-23-2019, 11:37 AM
I can't believe that.

With such little game tape, he ain't going in the top 4 rounds. No chance. He'd be the flyer someone took in the 5th-7th.

He'd be leaving a ridiculous amount of money on the table by leaving a year early.

I'd 80/20 he's back & it may be closer to 90

Ok that's fine. Remember these names, b. Brown, bear wilson, Josh Robinson..... he may come back. But you are just spouting out a guess wo any info other than it would be a mistake. (Which that part I agree with.) I said 60-40. So obviously that's a slight lean to return.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Ok that's fine. Remember these names, b. Brown, bear wilson, Josh Robinson..... he may come back. But you are just spouting out a guess wo any info other than it would be a mistake. (Which that part I agree with.) I said 60-40. So obviously that's a slight lean to return.

All those guys had stats though.

NFL, MLB, & the NBA heavily utilize analytical models in their drafts. Those analytical models weight measurables, size, speed, shuttle drill, etc & they also weight position & advanced stats in their model that takes everything into account & shoots out a rough draft order from which scouts will make minor adjustments too.

All that being said, the players you mentioned all had stats & thus there was very little they could do to boost their draft stock by coming back, even though they should have.

In Gay's case, he lacks stats. He simply hasn't played enough at MSU to tally enough production to make the draft model like him near as much as they would if he came back & had a solid year next year

The absolute only reason Gay should/would leave this year is if he hates school so much that he can't take another year or his family financial situation is so bad that they would be homeless if he came back next year

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2019, 01:55 PM

NFL, MLB, & the NBA heavily utilize analytical models in their drafts. Those analytical models weight measurables, size, speed, shuttle drill, etc & they also weight position & advanced stats in their model that takes everything into account & shoots out a rough draft order from which scouts will make minor adjustments too.

All that being said, the players you mentioned all had stats & thus there was very little they could do to boost their draft stock by coming back, even though they should have.

In Gay's case, he lacks stats. He simply hasn't played enough at MSU to tally enough production to make the draft model like him near as much as they would if he came back & had a solid year next year

The absolute only reason Gay should/would leave this year is if he hates school so much that he can't take another year or his family financial situation is so bad that they would be homeless if he came back next year

My concern isn't Gay - its Thompson. He has the stats. Another season at MSU isn't going to improve his draft stock. He is an inside 3-4 LB and those guys don't get drafted high to begin with unless they freak athletes like Roquon or Bush last year. I don't see his draft stock improving so if he wants to go to the NFL, I think he leaves, leaving a massive hole in the middle of our defense.

As for Gay - if he thinks he could blow up a combine and sneak into round 3 - that's a lot of money. Its not likely, but that will be his thinking. Either way - we need to recruit the hell out of the LB position.

Todd4State
10-23-2019, 02:38 PM
My concern isn't Gay - its Thompson. He has the stats. Another season at MSU isn't going to improve his draft stock. He is an inside 3-4 LB and those guys don't get drafted high to begin with unless they freak athletes like Roquon or Bush last year. I don't see his draft stock improving so if he wants to go to the NFL, I think he leaves, leaving a massive hole in the middle of our defense.

As for Gay - if he thinks he could blow up a combine and sneak into round 3 - that's a lot of money. Its not likely, but that will be his thinking. Either way - we need to recruit the hell out of the LB position.

Thompson can improve his draft stock by coming back and getting into better shape.

As far as Gay- let’s be honest we’ve all seen his decision making in action. That’s cause for concern as far as him going pro.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2019, 02:59 PM

It's pretty well known that Errol will be back. It would be more than a shock if he declared.

Willie situation is a little tricky. He needs to come back but he doesn't really want to come back. If he declared he would end up a mid round pick because he's going to kill the combine. My hope is he realizes that another full year he could be a 1st Rd pick but it's a coin flip.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2019, 03:06 PM
It's pretty well known that Errol will be back. It would be more than a shock if he declared.

Willie situation is a little tricky. He needs to come back but he doesn't really want to come back. If he declared he would end up a mid round pick because he's going to kill the combine. My hope is he realizes that another full year he could be a 1st Rd pick but it's a coin flip.

That's great news on Errol. It doesn't make a ton of sense for him personally, but it makes a ton of sense for us. Its possible Errol may not be an NFL prospect, but I don't see how another year makes him more draftable.

As for Gay - I agree, if he came back he could have a monster season, especially with Errol coming back.

Homedawg
10-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Ok

And those stats got them nothing. They were all told to come back. Well not jrob. None the less they left. It doesn't matter what YOU think it's what the individual wants to do. And yes it would be better if he came back. But that doesn't make it a certainty.

Homedawg
10-23-2019, 05:27 PM

Glad you said it. Bc shotgun will argue wo knowing a damn thing. I'm trying to tell him there's a good chance Willie leaves ...can't tell him shit.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2019, 06:08 PM

This.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Groce de-committed from Nebraska tonight.

KOdawg1
10-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Groce de-committed from Nebraska tonight.

Well that didn't take long

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Josiah Hayes just de-committed from OM.

vv83
10-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Josiah Hayes just de-committed from OM.

Who’s the favorite to land?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Who’s the favorite to land?

We'll be very involved with this 1.

KOdawg1
10-23-2019, 10:02 PM
We'll be very involved with this 1.
Think it could help get Jakivuan Brown back? We desperately need an OLB

Todd4State
10-24-2019, 12:48 AM
Think it could help get Jakivuan Brown back? We desperately need an OLB

We desperately need any linebackers.

msu15
10-24-2019, 01:10 AM

Agreed, why I wish they’d take Parker regardless of anything else happening.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-24-2019, 07:19 AM
With the pending Groce commitment we need 1 more LB an OLB.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2019, 07:23 AM

It's incredible to me how we end up in the these recruiting pits.

Weather it's WR, not signing a RB for 2 years, LB, or the gap in the DL talent, we just seem to always fall into a pit at certain positions. I don't get it.

StateDawg44
10-24-2019, 07:25 AM

Do you not think that if he had Willie to play with out there with next year that would give him opportunity to improve his draft stock and improve his stats?

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Thompson doesn't have the measurables. Thompson would just be leaving to leave.

IMO, when players like Thompson consider the NFL, they should choose the option that extends their football career as long as possible. Maybe learn to excel on special teams to increase your skill set

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2019, 07:39 AM
Glad you said it. Bc shotgun will argue wo knowing a damn thing. I'm trying to tell him there's a good chance Willie leaves ...can't tell him shit.

Sure.... I don't know anything.

I don't know Willie, but I understand this process better than most anyone on this board

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Ok
And those stats got them nothing. They were all told to come back. Well not jrob. None the less they left. It doesn't matter what YOU think it's what the individual wants to do. And yes it would be better if he came back. But that doesn't make it a certainty.

You're exactly right.

- Those players had stats & it did nothing for them. That's because they weren't physically good enough. However, for the players are good enough, stats effect draft status.

- You're totally right it doesn't matter what I think, but I can only assume that players are thinking rationally. If they aren't thinking rationally or if they just want to leave school hell or high water, then I can't account for that because it's an irrational move on their part.

I don't disagree with you all here. I just don't know Willie. I do understand this process though & know what I would advise the player to do if I were his agent.

StateDawg44
10-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Sure.... I don't know anything.

I don't know Willie, but I understand this process better than most anyone on this board

I'm curious about why this is so.

Not trying to argue or say you aren't. I'm just genuinely curious about what reasons you have to be able to claim this.

Irondawg
10-24-2019, 09:38 AM
We need to add a battering ram RB to the roster - we don't have one and that's a miss on our roster right now to me. When it's 3rd and 2 we need somebody that will lower their head and move the pile.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2019, 09:56 AM
I'm curious about why this is so.

Not trying to argue or say you aren't. I'm just genuinely curious about what reasons you have to be able to claim this.

Because it’s rumored he’s a baseball scout of some kind. He’ll have to elaborate...

KOdawg1
10-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Anyways, back to recruiting..

If we were able to land Groce, Hill, and Hayes while keeping the current commits, that would be a strong finish to a solid class.

Homedawg
10-24-2019, 11:19 AM
You're exactly right.

- Those players had stats & it did nothing for them. That's because they weren't physically good enough. However, for the players are good enough, stats effect draft status.

- You're totally right it doesn't matter what I think, but I can only assume that players are thinking rationally. If they aren't thinking rationally or if they just want to leave school hell or high water, then I can't account for that because it's an irrational move on their part.

I don't disagree with you all here. I just don't know Willie. I do understand this process though & know what I would advise the player to do if I were his agent.

That's just it, you aren't his adviser. And they get and listen to bad advice all the time. Just like the others.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Anyways, back to recruiting..

If we were able to land Groce, Hill, and Hayes while keeping the current commits, that would be a strong finish to a solid class.

Groce looks like a lifetime ST player. Dude is so slow.

Westdawg
10-24-2019, 02:45 PM
I remember a LOT of people on here last recruiting cycle say that Plumlee was too slow for the SEC, but that kid has legit SEC speed and ability - maybe not necessarily at QB, but he belongs at this level.
Groce may not have SEC speed, but if he's ranked that high, obviously he's got something working right.

Irondawg
10-24-2019, 03:05 PM
So looking at Groce's latest video are we sure he stays at LB, he looks a bit like AJ Jefferson to me. I know 6'1 isn't ideal for DE though.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
So looking at Groce's latest video are we sure he stays at LB, he looks a bit like AJ Jefferson to me. I know 6'1 isn't ideal for DE though.

He's a LB

Ifyouonlyknew
10-24-2019, 03:16 PM
I remember a LOT of people on here last recruiting cycle say that Plumlee was too slow for the SEC, but that kid has legit SEC speed and ability - maybe not necessarily at QB, but he belongs at this level.
Groce may not have SEC speed, but if he's ranked that high, obviously he's got something working right.

Who said Plumlee didn't have SEC speed? They had obviously never seen him play. Everybody said he was a SEC Athlete but didn't think he was a SEC QB.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2019, 03:23 PM

People said he’s not a QB. He was one of the fastest guys in-State and a great athlete.

NCDawg
10-24-2019, 03:24 PM

No, it isn't. However, Billy Jackson was about that size and was one of our best.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Groce’s problem is he’s a tweener. Not big enough for DE and too slow for LB. Keeping his weight down won’t be easy either. I just don’t see it. Looks like a move just to fill a spot that’s empty. We should’ve been on better guys OOS instead of wasting our time with the two we went after. It was a bad decision.

Bothrops
10-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Groce’s problem is he’s a tweener. Not big enough for DE and too slow for LB. Keeping his weight down won’t be easy either. I just don’t see it. Looks like a move just to fill a spot that’s empty. We should’ve been on better guys OOS instead of wasting our time with the two we went after. It was a bad decision.

It's hard for us to beat out Auburn and Tenn for Lb's.

vv83
10-24-2019, 10:41 PM

That’s just not how any of this works. We do that and miss on OOS guys people will lose it that we weren’t all over the “pipeline” guys who would have come here with an offer. Joe sucks as a coach but has proven he can get high star OOS guys, so when he doesn’t go after them here I feel like there’s a reason and he knows it would be wasting time and visits.

Cooterpoot
10-25-2019, 11:59 AM
That?s just not how any of this works. We do that and miss on OOS guys people will lose it that we weren?t all over the ?pipeline? guys who would have come here with an offer. Joe sucks as a coach but has proven he can get high star OOS guys, so when he doesn?t go after them here I feel like there?s a reason and he knows it would be wasting time and visits.

Well, we lost out on instate guys, so that?s worse. Most people knew we were wasting our time with them too. I?m not saying don?t offer instate guys, but when we?ve got a hole in a spot like LB, we need to cast a larger net. MS has no LBs this year. We failed to go after more guys OOS. The one we chased never even came to campus this fall and we knew had some issues. Just a poor job the last couple years at LB recruiting.

Irondawg
10-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Dean looked pretty good last night and seemed pretty big - are we sure he doesn't grow into a LB. He looks like a college safety now. Either way I think we got a good one there.

KOdawg1
10-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Dean looked pretty good last night and seemed pretty big - are we sure he doesn't grow into a LB. He looks like a college safety now. Either way I think we got a good one there.
Criminal that he only has 3 stars

Homedawg
10-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Walked by him close before the sp stk game and he doesn't look like he has the frame to ever be a lb. he's only 180-185 lbs per coach friend and woods and that sounded right. But dang, he a special player.

Irondawg
10-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Ok, I thought he looked a touch bigger and would have guessed around 190-200 with potential to add 15-20 more pounds. But that was from a distance.

He's going to be a good player for us though wherever we play him.

Homedawg
10-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Ok, I thought he looked a touch bigger and would have guessed around 190-200 with potential to add 15-20 more pounds. But that was from a distance.

He's going to be a good player for us though wherever we play him.

Agree. Like him a lot. And everyone raves about what a great kid he is.

Ari Gold
10-26-2019, 02:57 PM

My guess is Groce is not any slower than Errol and is probably already better than Leo...

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 03:25 PM
My guess is Groce is not any slower than Errol and is probably already better than Leo...

He’s slower than Erroll. Ereoll’s problem is he’s trying to do too much and getting out of position. But neither are fast.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2019, 04:29 PM
He’s slower than Erroll. Ereoll’s problem is he’s trying to do too much and getting out of position. But neither are fast.

Errol is trying to do too much. And he has lost a step.

OLJWales
11-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Sucking ass on the field makes the crootin' thread scared to look at. buzz kill so to speak.

MetEdDawg
11-05-2019, 06:11 AM
McCrae decommitted yesterday. That was one we will be fine with. We've opened up a few slots to hopefully round this class out in a decent way.

Class is currently sitting at #20 and we should get 4-5 more guys. Got to hold on to the top of our class and try to add a few more high quality guys with a strong finish.

Be interested to see if the coaching changes will affect things for us. With FSU in limbo plus a few other jobs in the area that might come open we might be able to snag one or two guys from these programs when guys decommit.

KOdawg1
11-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Dropping McCrae was a good move. He wasn?t even a starter at EMCC.

Hambone
11-05-2019, 08:02 AM
So who do we have committed that is playing well above their ranking? Who should we be excited about contributing next year or the year after?

TheLostDawg
11-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Dropping McCrae was a good move. He wasn?t even a starter at EMCC.

That's interesting.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-05-2019, 09:13 AM
So who do we have committed that is playing well above their ranking? Who should we be excited about contributing next year or the year after?

Tulu, Marks, Jordan Davis, Forbes...Malik! Tre Lawson and Ben Key are gonna play, but that's about it from this class

msbulldog
11-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Tulu, Marks, Jordan Davis, Forbes...Malik! Tre Lawson and Ben Key are gonna play, but that's about it from this class

Dillon Johnson, Selmon, Janari Dean, Armondous Cooley.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Add Wheat & Dolcine as well for next season.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-05-2019, 09:23 AM

I'd say Dean, Cooley, Rogers, & Banks have all outplayed their ranking this season. I'm very interested to see how they perform MS/AL week.

Bothrops
11-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Above their ranking - Dean, Forbes, Marks, Cooley, Rogers, Lawson, and Banks

Todd4State
11-06-2019, 12:49 AM
Add Wheat & Dolcine as well for next season.

I was about to say the same thing.

Heath and Tulu need to have an impact immediately. And absolutely could with Deddrick, Zuber, and Guidry leaving. Osirus has quietly led the nation in TD's of over 20 yards or more or something like that. Anyway- he's good and is emerging as a deep threat.

Marks will hopefully be able to start if Kylin goes pro.

OL should have several seniors on it next year- Reese, Eiland, Sharp, and Parker. Dolcine should play a good bit. Hopefully Cross adds enough weight to hold down LT next year.

The DL recruits will hopefully give us the quality depth we lack this year. Of course, Davis will need to replace Rivers but Lawson along with Spencer and Kobe is solid and then Lovett, Pickering, Crumedy, and Key is a much better group than this year too.

Wheat is an upgrade over Leo. Hopefully Gay and Erroll stay.

Emerson, Jones, and Forbes are a good group of CB's in the likely event Cam Dantzler goes pro. Tyler Williams is a good player too- I could see us moving him to safety or Star to get him on the field. Especially if Gay leaves.

Murphy looked great and hopefully we can land Woods which would make a great safety group. Morgan will be a senior and play a lot too I'm sure.

Todd4State
11-06-2019, 12:50 AM
I spoke with someone close to the Taylorsville football program today who told me Ty Keyes is going to commit to Auburn. FWIW.

MD2020
11-06-2019, 05:27 AM
I was about to say the same thing.

Heath and Tulu need to have an impact immediately. And absolutely could with Deddrick, Zuber, and Guidry leaving. Osirus has quietly led the nation in TD's of over 20 yards or more or something like that. Anyway- he's good and is emerging as a deep threat.

Marks will hopefully be able to start if Kylin goes pro.

OL should have several seniors on it next year- Reese, Eiland, Sharp, and Parker. Dolcine should play a good bit. Hopefully Cross adds enough weight to hold down LT next year.

The DL recruits will hopefully give us the quality depth we lack this year. Of course, Davis will need to replace Rivers but Lawson along with Spencer and Kobe is solid and then Lovett, Pickering, Crumedy, and Key is a much better group than this year too.

Wheat is an upgrade over Leo. Hopefully Gay and Erroll stay.

Emerson, Jones, and Forbes are a good group of CB's in the likely event Cam Dantzler goes pro. Tyler Williams is a good player too- I could see us moving him to safety or Star to get him on the field. Especially if Gay leaves.

Murphy looked great and hopefully we can land Woods which would make a great safety group. Morgan will be a senior and play a lot too I'm sure.

Are we recruiting Woods heavily?

MD2020
11-06-2019, 05:29 AM
I spoke with someone close to the Taylorsville football program today who told me Ty Keyes is going to commit to Auburn. FWIW.

Is Campbell working there or involved?

Cooterpoot
11-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Well, they’re wrong.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Well, they’re wrong.

I agree with you.

HailStateSZN19
11-06-2019, 09:07 AM
I agree with you.

IYOK, is there any more clarity now on whether Hayes is legitimately interested in us or if it's the usual OM thing to get him to make us think we could get him and then "flipmas" him on back over to them closer to NSD? IF we're looking to take 1 more DL since McCrae is gone now, wouldn't he be #1 on the board if the interest is legitimate on his end?

Cooterpoot
11-06-2019, 09:17 AM
We aren’t chasing Hayes and there’s almost no chance we sign him.

Cooterpoot
11-06-2019, 09:20 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/XqCYh5ND/7-E61-EE2-D-33-D0-4922-A681-9-F0-A6976-EB75.png

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2019, 09:33 AM
IYOK, is there any more clarity now on whether Hayes is legitimately interested in us or if it's the usual OM thing to get him to make us think we could get him and then "flipmas" him on back over to them closer to NSD? IF we're looking to take 1 more DL since McCrae is gone now, wouldn't he be #1 on the board if the interest is legitimate on his end?

We're recruiting him but we're not pressing him. Coaches are trying to see how legit his interest is. I'm sure he'll be here next week & he'll likely take an OV. Most believe he'll end up back at OM. I don't this is being orchestrated by OM but I also don't think our coaches will be caught in a bad position.

Commercecomet24
11-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Well, they?re wrong.

Agreed.

Todd4State
11-06-2019, 01:28 PM

He said Keyes looks up to him but didn?t say anything about him being involved in any way.

MD2020
11-06-2019, 06:40 PM
He said Keyes looks up to him but didn?t say anything about him being involved in any way.

Gotcha, thanks.

maroonmania
11-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Hopefully Larry is involved and not Jason.

MetEdDawg
11-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Groce committing tomorrow. He committing to us?

KOdawg1
11-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Groce committing tomorrow. He committing to us?

Prolly

hacker
11-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Bell just rang

hacker
11-12-2019, 08:49 AM
It's Groce

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Glad we could pull our 4th option..

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Difference in Moorhead and Mullen is that Mullen's 4th option would have been an in state 2 star or low 3 star with no D1 offers.

Moorhead's 4th option is an 87 overall previously committed to Nebraska that's just barely outside the Top 500

I'll take Moorhead in that regard 10 times out of 10

Pipedream
11-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Just remember, everyone says we're recruiting better and brining in a different level of talent. It's what is supposed to make everyone feel better.

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Just remember, everyone says we're recruiting better and brining in a different level of talent. It's what is supposed to make everyone feel better.

Ummmm...we are.

Just remember, if you truly believe Groce is our 4th option, you compare that to when Mullen would get a 4th option and Moorhead wins by a landslide.

Moorhead wasn't going to come in and never miss. That's stupid to think question is when he does miss, can we do better at elevating the lower portion of our class.

If Groce is in fact a 4th option, then Moorhead has done part of his job at elevating recruiting.

Really Clark?
11-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Ummmm...we are.

Just remember, if you truly believe Groce is our 4th option, you compare that to when Mullen would get a 4th option and Moorhead wins by a landslide.

Moorhead wasn't going to come in and never miss. That's stupid to think question is when he does miss, can we do better at elevating the lower portion of our class.

If Groce is in fact a 4th option, then Moorhead has done part of his job at elevating recruiting.

Landslide? Not really and it?s just a site ranking, how many 4th or 5th options or low ranked 2 or 3 stars did our previous staff recognize and develop in good players or put into the NFL. You get out side of the Top 10 in recruiting the players are a lot closer than people want to believe and it?s about fit and development. I?m not saying it?s not good in his recruiting but you are way over stating how much better the actual players we are signing compared to previous staff. When signing day is done we will finish what? 25th-30th in rankings? That?s not a nickel worth of difference than what we have been getting player wise for the last decade. Except Mullen?s lowest ranked class produced very well on the field. It?s finding the right player and developing them.

1bigdawg
11-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Moorhead wasn't going to come in and never miss. That's stupid to think the question is when he does miss, can we do better at elevating the lower portion of our class.

This is important. Moorhead is not really out recruiting Mullen so much in the top of the class, but he is doing much better at getting better-ranked players in the 10-25 range. That should mean more contributors and competition for positions, which we have already seen at some positions.

KOdawg1
11-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Guys, we will always recruit at around the same level no matter who the coach is. Somewhere in the 20-30 range with maybe a top 20 class sprinkled in. The only way we get beyond that is if we hire a coach like Freeze who cheats his ass off, which I think we can all agree isnt what we want.

Keeping most of the top kids in state, making sure classes are balanced (something Mullen struggled at), and taking advantage of our Juco system are what will give us the best chance to be successful.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 11:04 AM

You can bang on Joe all you want, but recruiting is one phase of his HC job he gets..
And if Groce is like you say our 4th option then that’s a pretty ****ing good pull...
Wheat and Groce is a solid LB combo for this class.

msstate7
11-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Guys, we will always recruit at around the same level no matter who the coach is. Somewhere in the 20-30 range with maybe a top 20 class sprinkled in. The only way we get beyond that is if we hire a coach like Freeze who cheats his ass off, which I think we can all agree isnt what we want.

Keeping most of the top kids in state, making sure classes are balanced (something Mullen struggled at), and taking advantage of our Juco system are what will give us the best chance to be successful.

So how'd we do with the historic Mississippi class last season?

KOdawg1
11-12-2019, 11:22 AM
So how'd we do with the historic Mississippi class last season?

We shit the bed. I will be the first to tell you that.

msstate7
11-12-2019, 11:25 AM
We shit the bed. I will be the first to tell you that.

Seems like we do a lot of that these days... last season only 8 wins, lack luster class with immense talent in state, and hoping for 6 wins this year.

Pipedream
11-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Ummmm...we are.

Ummmmm?..we aren't.

SEC class ranking average:
Mullen (09-17): 9.56
Moorhead (18-20): 9.67

That's a projection on 2020 ranking since the signing class isn't signed yet. This narrative that we're recruiting better, with the context of our peers, is just flat out false.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Ummmmm?..we aren't.

SEC class ranking average:
Mullen (09-17): 9.56
Moorhead (18-20): 9.67

That's a projection on 2020 ranking since the signing class isn't signed yet. This narrative that we're recruiting better, with the context of our peers, is just flat out false.

True!! He may be addressing needs better than Mullen but recruiting better quality players? No.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 11:51 AM
You can bang on Joe all you want, but recruiting is one phase of his HC job he gets..
And if Groce is like you say our 4th option then that?s a pretty ****ing good pull...
Wheat and Groce is a solid LB combo for this class.

I don?t remember Dan struggling with pulling LBs. I mean, McKinney wasn?t a highly rated guy. All the folks that used to ?bang? on Mullen for finding diamonds are now saying he was pulling bad players? Nah, he failed at WR and OL some but that?s about it. Joe has no LBs on his roster worth mentioning and Gay is likely leaving. We’ve got nothing much at OLB and Joe is stuck taking a kid that?s too slow for LB and too small for DL. Just how it is.
MS talent is down this year. We need to pull Cooper but we don’t have much shot at him. We should’ve taken him over Brown.

Pipedream
11-12-2019, 11:59 AM
True!! He may be addressing needs better than Mullen but recruiting better quality players? No.

Well, this is the dilemma. Yes-he's recruiting a better average quality player, BUT so is everyone else in the SEC. I relate it to the athletic department budget. Yes, we are increasing nationally to a place we've never been before, but we are in the same spot within the league. The tide is rising the boats of everyone. You have to get better players than your opposition for it to make a difference and that's not happening right now and to someones earlier point, it might not ever happen which is what makes coaching/developing/structure such an important facet of the State job.

Tripp McNeely
11-12-2019, 12:34 PM

He would be the highest rated LB on the bears board. Should we aim higher, yes...but from a historical ?relative? perspective, that?s progress!

Really Clark?
11-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Well, this is the dilemma. Yes-he's recruiting a better average quality player, BUT so is everyone else in the SEC. I relate it to the athletic department budget. Yes, we are increasing nationally to a place we've never been before, but we are in the same spot within the league. The tide is rising the boats of everyone. You have to get better players than your opposition for it to make a difference and that's not happening right now and to someones earlier point, it might not ever happen which is what makes coaching/developing/structure such an important facet of the State job.

Actually I don?t think he is recruiting a better average quality player, this isn?t a knock on Joe. I think the sites have changed their ranking system and have actually done a better job of giving players from rural areas proper grades. But a 3 star ranking is now almost a default rating if a players has an SEC offer. That?s why the perception is we are signing better quality players but in actuality across the board it?s the same player we have signed for a while now...they just have a higher rating by the recruiting sites and why our position among the league is about the same as it?s been for a decade.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 01:01 PM
He would be the highest rated LB on the bears board. Should we aim higher, yes...but from a historical ?relative? perspective, that?s progress!

Why do I care what OM is recruiting. I’m concerned about our recruiting. And not about ranking really. I want the best players. Fact is, we missed and he’s our last resort guy.

Bothrops
11-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Moorhead recruiting effort > Mullen recruiting effort

msbulldog
11-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Absolutely more effort. Dan was looking for an out and did not give a damn about recruiting. Having an asst. coach set up a speaker phone for a call in in-home visit with AJ Brown. C'MON MANE!

msstate7
11-12-2019, 01:38 PM

I'm sure Chad Morris was really trying hard to win at ark.

Who cares how hard someone tries? Results are all that matter in college football

StateDawg44
11-12-2019, 01:41 PM
I'm sure Chad Morris was really trying hard to win at ark.

Who cares how hard someone tries? Results are all that matter in college football

Took the words out of my mouth.

Joe could've made things a lot easier on the recruiting trail than he has so far. Effort goes a helluva long way and is appreciated but the product has to be good too.

Leroy Jenkins
11-12-2019, 02:18 PM
"Don't confuse effort with results" -Some guy I don't know.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 02:19 PM
D
I don?t remember Dan struggling with pulling LBs. I mean, McKinney wasn?t a highly rated guy. All the folks that used to ?bang? on Mullen for finding diamonds are now saying he was pulling bad players? Nah, he failed at WR and OL some but that?s about it. Joe has no LBs on his roster worth mentioning and Gay is likely leaving. We’ve got nothing much at OLB and Joe is stuck taking a kid that?s too slow for LB and too small for DL. Just how it is.
MS talent is down this year. We need to pull Cooper but we don’t have much shot at him. We should’ve taken him over Brown.

The jury is still out on what we have a LB.. We have a couple of young guys that might be pretty good. Burrell is going to be a good player. Let’s see how the other young guys develop ..
and we are thin at LB why.???
Because we have NO upperclassmen in the 2 deeps. Leo a 5th year Sr Tim washington 5th year Sr. .. Errol 3rd year , Gay 3rd year ... That’s is...

And yes we hit a HR with BMac but anyone that says they knew that kid would be a pro is lying...

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 02:25 PM

And it’s not even close...
prime example .. That RB at LSU that just beat Bama on sat.. well that kid was on campus numerous times. Coach Austin almost closed him by himself..

Again everyone can bang on CJM all they want about a lot of things, but his focus on recruiting and effort in recruiting isn’t one of them

msbulldog
11-12-2019, 03:14 PM
nm

Pipedream
11-12-2019, 03:30 PM
D

The jury is still out on what we have a LB.. We have a couple of young guys that might be pretty good. Burrell is going to be a good player. Let?s see how the other young guys develop ..
and we are thin at LB why.???
Because we have NO upperclassmen in the 2 deeps. Leo a 5th year Sr Tim washington 5th year Sr. .. Errol 3rd year , Gay 3rd year ... That?s is...

And yes we hit a HR with BMac but anyone that says they knew that kid would be a pro is lying...

Who in the hell is Burrell? Errol is a rsJR. This is his 4th year. We only play 2 LB spots and outside of Brule (who is the 5th LB) they're all juniors or seniors.

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Hey at least JoMo isn't falling asleep on recruits' couches!

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Who in the hell is Burrell? Errol is a rsJR. This is his 4th year. We only play 2 LB spots and outside of Brule (who is the 5th LB) they're all juniors or seniors.

Brule.. Burrell was spell check I guess.
That’s my point .. where are the Guys that should be In their 3rd and 4th year.. redshirt sophomores or true juniors ?
The poster said Mullen always recruited LB well .. so where are they ?
2 guys in their 5th year ,.. who one has underachieved based on optimism and the other never started.
Then we have Errol and Willie.. that’s it for upperclassmen

And yeah we play 2 lbs now .. we didn’t with Grantham and before that we ran a 3/4. We need more than 2-3 SEC ready LBs .. and if Shoop isn’t back next year and the DC wants to run a 4/3 we need depth there..

If Errol and Gay are back next year
With The young guys we have and Wheat coming in that’s a really good LB core.

TrapGame
11-12-2019, 03:51 PM

LOL! That never gets old.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Brule.. Burrell was spell check I guess.
That’s my point .. where are the Guys that should be In their 3rd and 4th year.. redshirt sophomores or true juniors ?
The poster said Mullen always recruited LB well .. so where are they ?
2 guys in their 5th year ,.. who one has underachieved based on optimism and the other never started.
Then we have Errol and Willie.. that’s it for upperclassmen

And yeah we play 2 lbs now .. we didn’t with Grantham and before that we ran a 3/4
If Errol and Gay are back next year
With The young guys we have and Wheat coming in that’s a really good LB core. And what if Shoop is gone and they guy we hire runs a 4/3 base .. we need more than 2-3 SEC ready LBs

You know Mullen quit after 2016. But we’ve got and Errol & Gay. Both, Mullen guys. Their backups are both Mullen guys. Joe has failed to recruit the LB position this year. Last year we can blame Mullen but we slow played Cooper and took a kid we knew was likely to end up at OM. Wheat will play but we’ve got a lot of dead ships at the LB spot and no recruits to flip them.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
You know Mullen quit after 2016. But we’ve got and Errol & Gay. Both, Mullen guys. Their backups are both Mullen guys. Joe has failed to recruit the LB position this year. Last year we can blame Mullen but we slow played Cooper and took a kid we knew was likely to end up at OM. Wheat will play but we’ve got a lot of dead ships at the LB spot and no recruits to flip them.

Joe and his staff actually closed Brule. He didn’t decomit from UGA till end of December.
We signed the 2 other LB with Johnson and Watson who Joe held on to.
Purvis last year who may grow into LB
And now he has commits from Groce and Wheat..

That’s 6 possible LBs on the rooster under Joe when the 2020 season starts . With Errol and Gay possible still here

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Joe and his staff actually closed Brule. He didn’t decomit from UGA till end of December.
We signed 2 maybe 3 if Purvis makes the jump to LB with Johnson and Watson

That’s 6 possible LBs on the rooster under Joe when the 2020 season starts . With Errol and Gay possible still here

Is Jett Johnson ever going to factor in or is he even still around? Seemed like he was someone everyone was high on and just vanished.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Is Jett Johnson ever going to factor in or is he even still around? Seemed like he was someone everyone was high on and just vanished.

Tutor gate... we will see

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Joe and his staff actually closed Brule. He didn?t decomit from UGA till end of December.
We signed 2 maybe 3 if Purvis makes the jump to LB with Johnson and Watson

That?s 6 possible LBs on the rooster under Joe when the 2020 season starts . With Errol and Gay possible still here

I agree on a Brule. I don?t see Jett (Mullen) as an adequate option. Purvis is a safety, would suck to move him. Watson (Mullen) has ability, just needs some time. So, Joe brought in Brule and Groce. Gay leaving is about 75%. Take Gay and Purvis out and you?ve got a very thin group, with very limited talent.
We needed to hit on a LB or two this year.

Percho
11-12-2019, 05:01 PM
I am so depressed after reading the last three pages on this thread.

Gloom despair and agony on me.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 05:10 PM
I like this class overall. We got some got players. It’s not going to be great from a ranking perspective (about normal), and for a down year in state, it’s a solid class. Missed at LB so far but not much else.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 05:40 PM
I agree on a Brule. I don?t see Jett (Mullen) as an adequate option. Purvis is a safety, would suck to move him. Watson (Mullen) has ability, just needs some time. So, Joe brought in Brule and Groce. Gay leaving is about 75%. Take Gay and Purvis out and you?ve got a very thin group, with very limited talent.
We needed to hit on a LB or two this year.

So this is Joe’s 2nd full year at recruiting and he is has 2LBs this year , possible 1 with Purvis las year, kept 2 of Mullen’s guys and closed Brule who is contributing this year..

That’s my point at the beginning of all of this , outside of Willie and Errol where are the upperclass LB.. there are none, the backup is a redshirt freshman in Brule and Tim Washington a 5th SR that has basically done nothing
That’s on Mullen and his staff.
Just like the lack of upperclass DL and RB..,

Not only is Joe having to try and recruit better players , he is having to also recruit the mismanagement of the roster

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Groce has a really good offer sheet. And some of our commits are underrated and the juco guys are very underrated.. and they are college impact ready next year
At least Lawson, Heath, Wheat and Davis are..

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 06:02 PM
So this is Joe’s 2nd full year at recruiting and he is has 2LBs this year , possible 1 with Purvis las year, kept 2 of Mullen’s guys and closed Brule who is contributing this year..

That’s my point at the beginning of all of this , outside of Willie and Errol where are the upperclass LB.. there are none, the backup is a redshirt freshman in Brule and Tim Washington a 5th SR that has basically done nothing

Not only is Joe having to try and recruit better players , he is having to also recruit the mismanagement of the roster

I’m not disagreeing about the roster. Mullen quit after 2015. My only big complaint is the LB position this round.

Bothrops
11-12-2019, 06:11 PM

You have to be impressed with this one.

msbulldog
11-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Deep Dark Depression, Excessive Misery

If not for Bad Luck, I'd have no luck at all! Whoooooaaaa!

DeviousDawg
11-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Tyrus Wheat is going to be an NFL draft pick. He’s a freak and will be an immediate impact JUCO guy. He’s a 4 star talent. Just go watch his film.

Groce has a good “offer list”, but there is a huge difference in committable offers and reported offers. He’s a P5 guy but he is slow and not very versatile, but like many have said, good 4th option, low ceiling, high floor.

DeviousDawg
11-12-2019, 08:38 PM
I like this class overall. We got some got players. It’s not going to be great from a ranking perspective (about normal), and for a down year in state, it’s a solid class. Missed at LB so far but not much else.

Agreed.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Tyrus Wheat is going to be an NFL draft pick. He?s a freak and will be an immediate impact JUCO guy. He?s a 4 star talent. Just go watch his film.

Groce has a good ?offer list?, but there is a huge difference in committable offers and reported offers. He?s a P5 guy but he is slow and not very versatile, but like many have said, good 4th option, low ceiling, high floor.

Was committed to Nebraska and Even if you take away the instate offers still has over a half dozen P5 offers.
Bottom line is no one has any idea how this kid will pan out ..
Let?s Just welcome the kid to the Fam...

Bothrops
11-12-2019, 10:53 PM
I wish we could find a 3rd LB and a juco WR, along with a DL and OL.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 12:22 AM
Tutor gate... we will see

I think our fans would feel a little bit better about LB if we had some of the Tutor Gate guys available to play. Especially since our fans are so black and white with everything. If they don't see it they don't believe it. And even then they don't believe it half the time.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 12:24 AM

That's really the biggest improvement. I'm not worried about the "Average star per player" stuff because what has caused our holes is simply not recruiting to a position group for a year or two.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Groce has a really good offer sheet. And some of our commits are underrated and the juco guys are very underrated.. and they are college impact ready next year

Joe is going to need them to be if he stays next year. And he's going to need to get some of our potential early entry guys to stay.

It wouldn't be the first time JUCO's saved a MSU coach.

Irondawg
11-13-2019, 01:06 AM
Given the lack of new names I'm wondering if we've had contact with some potential grad transfers at OLB.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 02:47 AM
Given the lack of new names I'm wondering if we've had contact with some potential grad transfers at OLB.

I don't see why we would? Errol is likely to return or at least he should. (I know- Bear Wilson) Worst case scenario is Wheat, Brule, and Nathan Watson. We really don't know what we have with Jett Johnson yet because of Tutor Gate but I would imagine that he is probably a pretty solid player. And of course there is a chance that Gay and Errol return.

Our staff will probably wait and see who all goes pro and then make adjustments to the recruiting class at that point. Like if Hill goes pro I could see us possibly going after a JUCO back and then if Errol and Gay both go pro maybe then we go after a JUCO or a grad transfer there.

Really if anything we need a grad transfer at safety more than anything at this point.

Irondawg
11-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Isn't Wheat an ILB and is Johnson. I could see a grad transfer at both spots potentially. OLB might be depending on what Gay does

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Heath wasn't even the best wr on Co-lin. He caught 33 passes --FYI the kind from West Point at Scooba was offensive player of the year in JUCO caught 70 something passes for over 1000 yards--why not recruit HIM?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Heath wasn't even the best wr on Co-lin. He caught 33 passes --FYI the kind from West Point at Scooba was offensive player of the year in JUCO caught 70 something passes for over 1000 yards--why not recruit HIM?

Brownlee is a solid player but it's the system. They have a WR with big #'s every year. He's not a better WR than Drummond last year. He's a better athlete.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 12:04 PM
yep--they had Bester that we said was a system player we passed he went to Oklahoma and had a nice career while we had below SEC wrs. Why do you think Heath will be any better that Guidry? or do you think that? You would think that if you are the #1 wr in Juco you would catch more than 30 passes and 3 tds.

i watched every game Scooba Played and Brownlee caught the ball-can't remember a drop. he beat the best DBs in Juco.
System or not if you are the best Offensive player in JUCO --we need to sign Him. Or better yet how about run that system--You know it works pretty dam well for EMCC.

msugolf
11-13-2019, 12:26 PM
yep--they had Bester that we said was a system player we passed he went to Oklahoma and had a nice career while we had below SEC wrs. Why do you think Heath will be any better that Guidry? or do you think that? You would think that if you are the #1 wr in Juco you would catch more than 30 passes and 3 tds.

i watched every game Scooba Played and Brownlee caught the ball-can't remember a drop. he beat the best DBs in Juco.
System or not if you are the best Offensive player in JUCO --we need to sign Him. Or better yet how about run that system--You know it works pretty dam well for EMCC.

We'll still have one of if not the worst WR groups in the conference next year. Heath and the freshman won't change that.

Ari Gold
11-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Who’s to say he won’t be?
He was highly rated out of high school
He had offers from numerous for P5 schools out of high school and still has big time schools that would take him today ( fla included)

So our fans complain when we don’t recruit highly rated WR and now they complaining when have a highly rated WR committed.

Ari Gold
11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
We'll still have one of if not the worst WR groups in the conference next year. Heath and the freshman won't change that.

Well adding 2 4 star guys in Heath and Tulu won’t hurt..
So we have no where to go but up..

msugolf
11-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Well adding 2 4 star guys in Heath and Tulu won’t hurt..
So we have no where to go but up..

I just think we're putting all our eggs in one basket. We don't seem to be on any other receivers so I guess the staff is fine with what they have.

And several people who have seen Heath play (that don't work for a fan site) have said that he isn't a player you have to game plan for if you're a DCoord.

That doesn't bode well for next year since I think we'll take a step back in the running game without Hill.

Ari Gold
11-13-2019, 01:25 PM
I just think we're putting all our eggs in one basket. We don't seem to be on any other receivers so I guess the staff is fine with what they have.

And several people who have seen Heath play (that don't work for a fan site) have said that he isn't a player you have to game plan for if you're a DCoord.

That doesn't bode well for next year since I think we'll take a step back in the running game without Hill.

Well if all of our eggs consists of getting the number 1 Juco WR in the country and the top ranked WR in the state I will take it .. Its is a HUGE improvement from past seasons..

defiantdog
11-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Only so many spots to give with a lot more holes to fill.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Bester caught 3 passes his 1st year at Oklahoma. His Sr year was worse than Guidry's Sr year, which you don't think is too impressive. I do think Malik is more talented than Guidry. We'll see if he's better. He will have 1 advantage in that he won't be asked to be the #1 WR next year.

Best DB's in Juco? Currently MS is home to 1 of the Top 10 Juco CB & 3 of the top 10 Juco Safeties. He's not facing great lockdown CB's. This is no disrespect to Jason but his offer list is Charlotte, Liberty, ULM, UMASS, S Alabama, USM, & W KY. All we hear all the time is raising the talent level & getting SEC caliber guys.

So we should run the Mike Leach offense? That's pretty much the EMCC offebse.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Well if all of our eggs consists of getting the number 1 Juco WR in the country and the top ranked WR in the state I will take it .. Its is a HUGE improvement from past seasons..

he might Be the #1 JUCO wr in the country but he isn't the best WR on his team. Just like Guidry was the third wr on his JUCO team. I know they look like Tarzan but they are playing like Jane. Heath scored 3 Tds--does that look like the #1 JUCO wideout? Heath's highschool team also sucked.

If we were choosing up to play some sandlot football --I would take Brownlee and You can have Heath--and I believe I would win. But --you know it could be the system.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Bester caught 3 passes his 1st year at Oklahoma. His Sr year was worse than Guidry's Sr year, which you don't think is too impressive. I do think Malik is more talented than Guidry. We'll see if he's better. He will have 1 advantage in that he won't be asked to be the #1 WR next year.

Best DB's in Juco? Currently MS is home to 1 of the Top 10 Juco CB & 3 of the top 10 Juco Safeties. He's not facing great lockdown CB's. This is no disrespect to Jason but his offer list is Charlotte, Liberty, ULM, UMASS, S Alabama, USM, & W KY. All we hear all the time is raising the talent level & getting SEC caliber guys.

So we should run the Mike Leach offense? That's pretty much the EMCC offebse.

I would think Leach's offense or Scooba's would be much better that what Joe has thrown out so far. I'll bet that Bester didn't lead the league in dropped passes.

If we took a Poll of State fans.-I'll bet Leach's Offense would beat Jomo's by a large margin.. Just asking--you would vote for the Jomo check with me--offense??

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2019, 04:50 PM
I would think Leach's offense or Scooba's would be much better that what Joe has thrown out so far. I'll bet that Bester didn't lead the league in dropped passes.

If we took a Poll of State fans.-I'll bet Leach's Offense would beat Jomo's by a large margin.. Just asking--you would vote for the Jomo check with me--offense??

I'm asking because I don't know when did Guidry lead the league in drops? Could you link it for me. Man if Guidry does/did lead the league in drop passes & still outproduced Bester how does that help your argument?

No I don't want to run the Mike Leach offense. I don't think it would be successful at MSU. Joe offense struggling & Leach offense not being a good fit for MSU are 2 separate arguments.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 05:01 PM
I'm asking because I don't know when did Guidry lead the league in drops? Could you link it for me. Man if Guidry does/did lead the league in drop passes & still outproduced Bester how does that help your argument?

No I don't want to run the Mike Leach offense. I don't think it would be successful at MSU. Joe offense struggling & Leach offense not being a good fit for MSU are 2 separate arguments.

Bester caught 6 passes and one for a TD against Bama in the Sugar Bowl which Bama Lost--hope Guidry can do that good Sat.

And why would Leach's offense not work at State--it has worked every where else. You would be in the minority in choosing Leach or Jomo's offense.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Bester caught 6 passes and one for a TD against Bama in the Sugar Bowl which Bama Lost--hope Guidry can do that good Sat.

And why would Leach's offense not work at State--it has worked every where else. You would be in the minority in choosing Leach or Jomo's offense.

So a quarter of his catches came in 1 game? Got it.

I never said what offense I'd pick. I said I didn't think it would work at MSU.

It's funny you've gone from we should offer Brownlee to Bester was good to Bester was better than Guidry to Bester had 1 good game against Bama to we should run EMCC offense to Leach offense better than Joe's. All because I didn't think we should off Brownlee.

Cooterpoot
Yes, let’s trade our WR commit who’s got SEC offers for a WR with a Liberty and CSUSA offers. Who gives a 17 about a state Juco award? We’ve got enough WR slots filled by kids that aren’t good enough. Drummond was the guy last year and he’s no difference maker at OM.

Really Clark?

That’s the debate though, we have seen his system in the SEC already and it didn’t really work but in spurts. Now the question is would him running it yield better results since running it at Kentucky all those years ago? That’s the question but I think it is more than a fair debate whether or not it would succeed at a non traditional school in the SEC.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 06:29 PM
JUCO stats are basically meaningless. Heath may have been the “third receiver”- but the leading receiver there only had four more receptions than Heath. JUCO’s only play nine game seasons so Heath basically averaged 3-4 receptions a game on a team that went 4-5.

Football stats can be misleading because of team philosophy and scheme. And receiver stats are partially dependent on the QB.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2019, 07:10 PM

It's funny you've gone from we should offer Brownlee to Bester was good to Bester was better than Guidry to Bester had 1 good game against Bama to we should run EMCC offense to Leach offense better than Joe's. All because I didn't think we should off Brownlee.

Looks like Bama watched his tape and figured he was a non-factor.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2019, 07:12 PM
That’s the debate though, we have seen his system in the SEC already and it didn’t really work but in spurts. Now the question is would him running it yield better results since running it at Kentucky all those years ago? That’s the question but I think it is more than a fair debate whether or not it would succeed at a non traditional school in the SEC.

They had the #1 HS QB in the nation and it only worked in spurts. I don't recall UK beating a path to Leach's door when their job was opening. Guess they didn't want that offense back either.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 08:53 PM
They had the #1 HS QB in the nation and it only worked in spurts. I don't recall UK beating a path to Leach's door when their job was opening. Guess they didn't want that offense back either.

The offense worked but their defense not so much.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Yes, let?s trade our WR commit who?s got SEC offers for a WR with a Liberty and CSUSA offers. Who gives a 17 about a state Juco award? We?ve got enough WR slots filled by kids that aren?t good enough. Drummond was the guy last year and he?s no difference maker at OM.

Sorta like Guidry. Drummond is playing for aRich Rod offense with a Qb who can't throw.

tcdog70
11-13-2019, 09:09 PM

We will see, Brownlee will have a better career from this point on than Heath.IMHO, I have watched them Both. Oh you really expounded on that. Bester Started for a Sugar Bowl Winner and Guidry has played for State. Guidry has 19 catches this year. You said Scooba ran the same offense as Leach's. I said both would be better that Jomos , shit that is obvious.
And it didn't have shit to do with your opinion of offering Brownlee.. I hope I'm wrong , I hope Heath turns into a bad M'fer but so far at all levels He hasn't been much of a factor. His Highschool team was awful, and this year a usually good Co-Lin is awful. He wasn't even the best WRs on a shitty team. So thanks for your opinions enjoyed our discourse.

Really Clark?
11-13-2019, 09:20 PM
The offense worked but their defense not so much.

Eh, like I said in spurts and Leach defenses are bad still (outside of Grinch a couple of years). But where it really counts they won 5, 7, 6 and 2 wins with Mumme and 2 and 7 wins with Morris (was a part of them). That’s not exactly setting the conference on fire and the bottom years were really bad offensively. Rich Brooks was much better once he cleaned up their mess.

Irondawg
11-13-2019, 11:24 PM
I’m fine with us getting Heath but I do worry he’s another guy with good measurables that don’t translate on the field. But concerning Brownlee to me the question would be if he’s better than Ducking. Both recent Hudl highlights show them mostly catching passes against air but they seem to be similar players. Duck will block but just looks like he’s slow out of the block, but so was Bear and that turned out fine. Hope the staff chose wisely.

Ari Gold
11-14-2019, 11:03 AM
3 years ago this board would have been 100% full blown melt down if we offered Brownlee over Heath
Or if Heath would have ( and he should have ) been eligible out of high school and choose a Fla or OM over State ..full meltdown would have been the result.

Saying that no one knows who will be a better D1college player or have a better careerHeath or Brownlee
But I will roll the dice with Heath
Hell we may get them both in the end.. I don’t think we are going to take another juco WR but it’s known that Patterson isn’t going to be in this class.

Lance Harbor
11-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Any updated info on Charles Moore from Auburn and the transfer possibility?

3 years ago this board would have been 100% full blown melt down if we offered Brownlee over Heath
Or if Heath would have ( and he should have ) been eligible out of high school and choose a Fla or OM over State ..full meltdown would have been the result.

Saying that no one knows who will be a better D1college player or have a better careerHeath or Brownlee
But I will roll the dice with Heath
Hell we may get them both in the end.. I don’t think we are going to take another juco WR but it’s known that Patterson isn’t going to be in this class.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Any updated info on Charles Moore from Auburn and the transfer possibility?

He's already enrolled at Oregon St.

Irondawg
11-14-2019, 12:38 PM
what was the connection that got him all the way out there?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2019, 12:41 PM

No clue

msstate7
11-14-2019, 12:44 PM
No clue

Oregon state is leading the charge proving the earth truly is flat**

Hopefully the attraction is Corvallis is as far as he could get away from whoever it was that messed him up

KOdawg1
11-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Oregon state is leading the charge proving the earth truly is flat**

Hopefully the attraction is Corvallis is as far as he could get away from whoever it was that messed him up
Kid has some issues. Hope he figures it out

BhamDawg205
11-15-2019, 04:29 AM
Brownlee is a solid player but it's the system. They have a WR with big #'s every year. He's not a better WR than Drummond last year. He's a better athlete.

Hey was a solid secondary player at West Point... Could use the depth.

ejdallas322
11-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Top 5 player in the country and number 1 player in Mississippi for 2021 is visiting for game against Bama

ejdallas322
11-16-2019, 10:34 AM
Correction: Class of 2022

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Weed is legal

Ari Gold
11-18-2019, 07:55 PM
Look for another scholarship to come available rather soon..
Along with Patterson .

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Along with Patterson .

Any hint? Is this a coach decision?

msu15
11-18-2019, 08:34 PM
Along with Patterson .

I saw where we just offered a 2020 high school kid from Louisiana. Any correlation?

Cooterpoot
11-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Hmm, only know of one I wouldn’t take but he’s not going anywhere. Must not be a good thing...

Westdawg
11-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Malik Heath.....
visiting Florida....
He gone 😳

Bothrops
11-19-2019, 04:27 AM
Malik Heath.....
visiting Florida....
He gone ��

Mullen has been working him, but this visit has been known for a while. It could be a transfer off the roster.

msugolf
11-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Malik Heath.....
visiting Florida....
He gone 😳

Would you blame him? It takes our WRs a year to learn the system and more is required of them than in other offenses. And then SloMo doesn't know how to get them the ball.

Ari Gold
11-19-2019, 08:08 AM
It’s a decision made or being talked about being made by the staff.

If Joe gets the axe at years end.. there is going to be some shake up for sure with some of these commits
Malik was planning on visiting Fla this whole time.

Cooterpoot
11-19-2019, 09:07 AM
Would you blame him? It takes our WRs a year to learn the system and more is required of them than in other offenses. And then SloMo doesn't know how to get them the ball.

Yeah, cause Mullen did so much with WRs here.

Ari Gold
11-19-2019, 09:15 AM

We all know how recruiting works around here, but there was a greater chance that MH would have committed to UF out of high school than it is now.
Unless coaching changes are made MH will be a dawg. If coaching changes are made then who knows..

StateDawg44
11-19-2019, 09:17 AM

Dude currently has the 3rd ranked passing offense in the SEC. Obviously he can get the ball to WR's. The fact that LSU and Bammer this year are the ones ahead of them is another thing too.

msugolf
11-19-2019, 09:29 AM

I didn't mention one thing about Mullen but since you brought it up, UF has 4 WRs ranked higher than our best in 2019 SEC receiving stats

Cooterpoot
11-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Dude currently has the 3rd ranked passing offense in the SEC. Obviously he can get the ball to WR's. The fact that LSU and Bammer this year are the ones ahead of them is another thing too.

And how many did he recruit and develop?

StateDawg44
11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Haha just jumping from one narrative to the next.

Who 17ing cares who he recruited? Dumb question. But since you asked his top two receivers on the roster right now were in his first recruiting class.

ETA: By your logic, Lincoln Riley's offense and team he has assembled get no credit for Jalen Hurts having a great year since he didn't recruit and develop him.

Cooterpoot
11-19-2019, 10:10 AM
Haha just jumping from one narrative to the next.

Who 17ing cares who he recruited? Dumb question. But since you asked his top two receivers on the roster right now were in his first recruiting class.

I look at what he did with the WRs and Juco recruits here. Heath isn’t an elite level WR. He’s solid but not elite. Dan Mullen would do nothing with him. So, is Heath going to beat out those WRs on the roster? Nope. See where I’m going? Heath will be our 1/2. He won’t be at FL. Let me guess, Dan would redshirt him.

tcdog70
11-19-2019, 10:47 AM
I look at what he did with the WRs and Juco recruits here. Heath isn’t an elite level WR. He’s solid but not elite. Dan Mullen would do nothing with him. So, is Heath going to beat out those WRs on the roster? Nope. See where I’m going? Heath will be our 1/2. He won’t be at FL. Let me guess, Dan would redshirt him.

Guidry2.0

Turfdawg67
11-19-2019, 05:03 PM

Dude lost his QB read guy and his offense has changed. The QB playing right now that has them #3 was a backup to Franks, let that sink in. Mullen absolutely lucked into the season he's having.

msstate7
11-19-2019, 05:28 PM

How many did recruit and develop in 2015 here when we were #2 in sec in passing offense?

msbulldog
11-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Another damn pissing battle that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread!

HailStateSZN19
11-19-2019, 07:55 PM
When could this spot potentially be opened up? Some time in the pretty near future? I’m curious as to who this could be...

Cooterpoot
11-23-2019, 12:13 AM
We need to get Ty Keyes in the boat. Kid is something else.

msstate7
11-23-2019, 07:44 AM
We need to get Ty Keyes in the boat. Kid is something else.

Didn't see any of the game, but Taylorsville scored a ton on my home town philly tornadoes tonight, and that's a dang good philly team.

And how bout them rockets! Neshoba central moves on... unfortunately, West Point next

ZedFedder
11-24-2019, 10:16 PM
The #8 player and #1 CB in the 2022 class from Lexington, MS, committed to LSU. Khamauri Rogers.

Bothrops
11-25-2019, 02:19 AM
The #8 player and #1 CB in the 2022 class from Lexington, MS, committed to LSU. Khamauri Rogers.

LSU is king right now, but a lot could change between now and then,l. A lot could change after this season.

Ari Gold
11-25-2019, 09:37 AM

2022... this is the least of our concerns right now...

ZedFedder
11-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Oh, I agree. I just thought it was worth noting in the thread.

Westdawg
11-25-2019, 11:50 PM
I can honestly say that Rogers has grown up as an LSU fan. He and his dad are both huge Tiger fans. You can close the book on this kid. Only way we get in the door with him is if LSU pushes him back

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 03:35 PM
I can honestly say that Rogers has grown up as an LSU fan. He and his dad are both huge Tiger fans. You can close the book on this kid. Only way we get in the door with him is if LSU pushes him back

When does a 4+ star from Louisiana grow up an MSU fan?

Westdawg
11-26-2019, 05:49 PM
When does a 4+ star from Louisiana grow up an MSU fan?

His dad's the coach at Holmes Central. He's been sending him to camps and 7v7 tourneys as soon as he could. He even has pics he posted on his twitter feed is his son in an LSU helmet when he was a kid. Happy for them, but I'd love to have him on board

Goldendawg
11-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Ok, some of you guys in the know make me feel better about our JC WR commits. Heath - 33 catches for 503 yds, 3 TD's and Ducking for 9! catches for 207 yds and 3 TD's, 1 rushing TD of 71 yards. 24/7 article had no info on Patterson who some of you say won't be in the class anyway. Most everyone bragged on Guidry (one and done to NFL and his team didn't throw much). Heath and Ducking's teams both went 4-5. Did they not throw either, especially Holmes to Ducking? What's the deal?

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Ok, some of you guys in the know make me feel better about our JC WR commits. Heath - 33 catches for 503 yds, 3 TD's and Ducking for 9! catches for 207 yds and 3 TD's, 1 rushing TD of 71 yards. 24/7 article had no info on Patterson who some of you say won't be in the class anyway. Most everyone bragged on Guidry (one and done to NFL and his team didn't throw much). Heath and Ducking's teams both went 4-5. Did they not throw either, especially Holmes to Ducking? What's the deal?

Holmes only attempted 55 passes this season...attempted only 55 passes. They completed 19 of the 55 passes, 9 to Ducking. Yeah I would say the passing numbers are pretty skewed at Holmes.

msstate7
11-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Let's assume it's Napier a min. He's supposedly a really good recruiter, but, well, he was still at ULL so there's only so good a player he can pull there. Anyone know some names of guys he's been recruiting that could now be in play bc Napier is now in the sec?

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Xavier Hill commits to LSU

Stinks but we've got bigger issues to worry about.

Feels like LSU has about 40 spots in their signing class for some reason.

KOdawg1
11-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Xavier Hill commits to LSU

Stinks but we've got bigger issues to worry about.

Moorhead probably told him that he would no longer be there.

Bothrops
11-28-2019, 04:15 PM

And they probably do too.

msbulldog
11-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Hell they got children's hospital money! Look out for lighting!

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2019, 05:17 PM
Hell they got children's hospital money! Look out for lighting!

I'm confused as to why they aren't under investigation

msbulldog
11-28-2019, 05:23 PM

Their new AD is the son-in-law of Mark Emmert the CEO of the NCAA!

Bothrops
11-28-2019, 05:36 PM

No shit. Basketball too. I guess they are truly above the rules like Bama. Must be nice, especially when you have everything else too.

Irondawg
12-01-2019, 02:05 PM
So let’s revisit the Xavier Hill situation - I assume the rumor about Joe not accepting his commitment was all BS?

KOdawg1
12-01-2019, 02:07 PM
So let’s revisit the Xavier Hill situation - I assume the rumor about Joe not accepting his commitment was all BS?
I think he just liked LSU

Ari Gold
12-01-2019, 02:20 PM
I think he just liked LSU

I don’t think it’s over yet with Hill... let’s see if / and after he visits.

Bothrops
12-01-2019, 03:38 PM
I don’t think it’s over yet with Hill... let’s see if / and after he visits.

You mean they don't have another 3 or 5 DL players waiting for the go ahead to commit?

Ari Gold
12-01-2019, 03:53 PM
You mean they don't have another 3 or 5 DL players waiting for the go ahead to commit?

Hill is OL

MetEdDawg
12-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Those in the know, will Luke being fired potentially get us in the running with any of the guys OM is recruiting or has committed?

timotheus
12-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Norvell will get on them quick.

KOdawg1
12-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Call Eli Acker asap

Irondawg
12-01-2019, 08:31 PM
I don't think Eli is going anywhere regardless of who is coaching OM

HailStateSZN19
12-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Does this help settle things any with Forbes?

KOdawg1
12-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Depends on who they hire I guess

ZedFedder
12-01-2019, 08:52 PM
I think 2021 WR Deion Smith has flipped to LSU.

KOdawg1
12-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Lol that's about right

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2019, 09:00 PM

That sucks - he is good.

ZedFedder
12-01-2019, 09:03 PM
https://tigerbait.com/s/1614/breaking-deion-smith-commits-to-lsu

Homedawg
12-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Call Eli Acker asap

Hahahha. We aren't getting Eli Acker. Period.

Homedawg
12-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Nope

Cooterpoot
12-01-2019, 09:12 PM

He’s not the last one

Homedawg
12-01-2019, 09:13 PM
That sucks - he is good.

I'm gonna just hang up and listen....

Irondawg
12-01-2019, 09:14 PM
LSU being really good causes issues for us - being stuck in the middle of LSU and Bama dominance with Auburn always being very good is not a good place for us recruiting wise. To some degree I don't know if it matters who the coach is if they stay Top 10 level programs and are scoring a ton of points and putting loads of receivers in the NFL

msstate7
12-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Most of the state fanbase knows Moorhead sucks, and all the OM fanbase knew Luke sucked. If pretty much all the fans know this, so do the recruits. If om makes a good hire, I think it's a problem for us with the kids in limbo between state and om

ZedFedder
12-01-2019, 09:27 PM
If you were Deion Smith, could you blame him?

KOdawg1
12-01-2019, 09:30 PM

Nope. Play for a national contender that puts guys in the NFL every year or catch 15 passes a year and go 6-6? I know which I'd pick

Bothrops
12-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Hill is OL

It was a joke, since Hill was able to get a spot.

Bothrops
12-01-2019, 10:30 PM

We will never sign a blue chip wide receiver, it wont matter who the coach is. I think we're back to zero wr commits for 2021. Only thing I'm shocked about is it happened this fast.

msbulldog
12-02-2019, 07:41 AM
LSU being really good causes issues for us - being stuck in the middle of LSU and Bama dominance with Auburn always being very good is not a good place for us recruiting wise. To some degree I don't know if it matters who the coach is if they stay Top 10 level programs and are scoring a ton of points and putting loads of receivers in the NFL

Nothings changed it's always been this way.

Irondawg
12-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Also looks like we're doing some re-evaluation of some of the class. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

ZedFedder
12-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Kentrel Bullock decommitted from Ole Miss. He is a RB from Columbia, MS. He is a composite 3 star, but on 247 he is a 4 star. I doubt we pursue because we have Marks and D. Johnson.

KOdawg1
12-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Kentrel Bullock decommitted from Ole Miss. He is a RB from Columbia, MS. He is a composite 3 star, but on 247 he is a 4 star. I doubt we pursue because we have Marks and D. Johnson.

Hell, I'd pursue. The dude can fly and that's something we really lack

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 03:25 PM

If he is on track to qualify, then we need to pursue.

We need speed on offense in the worst way.

Isn't D Johnson set to play safety?

If so, I'd call up Marks & say here is what we want to do, are you good with that?

Lord McBuckethead
12-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Exactly, check with Marks and let him know he is the bell cow. We just need more speed any way we can get it.

ZedFedder
12-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Are we confident that we sign and keep Marks? He is a big time player.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-02-2019, 08:27 PM

Apparently according to an article I read, he would sign with State even if there had been a coaching change. That?s I interesting considering I have heard some say he would leave if Moorhead was fired

Bothrops
12-03-2019, 04:13 PM

He's coming this weekend and if it's a good one, hopefully he won't be visiting Florida the following.