PDA

View Full Version : THE 2020 MSU Football Recruiting Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Again I don't disagree but you're doing a disservice to the Janari Dean's & Jakivuan Brown's of this class just calling them same old 3*. Also guys like Marcus Murphy, Fabian Lovett, Errol Thompson, Darryl Williams, Stewart Reese, Cam Dantzler etc. Yes they were 3* but their offer sheet showed that college coaches knew they were legit. That's why we have to be careful to differentiate from those bottom tier 3* who are projects or diamonds & these 3* who are the backup guys for LSU Bama UGA etc. We can win a lot of games with those 3* mixed in with 4 & 5* guys.

Fair enough.

I think 247 could benefit from adding a 3.5 star that gives a boost to the 87-90 rated players

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 09:45 AM
But, after a decade of bowls, at some point, the expectation has to ratchet up some.

This is my opinion as well. Some just want to be a development program though

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 09:51 AM
This is my opinion as well. Some just want to be a development program though

I don't think that's the goal either. We've long talked about to really recruit well we have to recruit better OOS. Mullen signed 6 4* OOS players from 09-17. So far JoeMo has signed 3 has 1 committed & sit well with 2 more. So again we can't say he's recruiting the same when after 2 years & a couple months it's a realistic thought that he could match the higher end OOS recruiting that Mullen did in 8 years. Progress is being made but of course it's not fast enough or loud enough for some & I get that.

Cowbell
06-18-2019, 09:59 AM
When Mullen was here, stars matter. Mullen gone, stars don't matter

Would stop with the ex-girlfriend comparisons. You need to decide whether you want to be a Dawg or a Gator and move on. Appreciate some of your comments but you got to let it go.

msstate7
06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Never mind

BrunswickDawg
06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Fair enough.

I think 247 could benefit from adding a 3.5 star that gives a boost to the 87-90 rated players

Or they should do away with the 268 cap on 4*s that they give. https://247sports.com/college/appalachian-state/Article/247Sports-Rating-Explanation-81574/. Right now, 247 has 351 players rated 4* or better in the composite rankings. By their own system, that means that 51 players who are 4*s today in the composite aren't considered 4*s by 247. That tells you how much subjectivity there is in the evaluations and as we all know it is not an exact science.

Who would you rather have had as a QB at MSU in the 2011 class? 5* Jeff Driskel or 3* Dak Prescott? Which rating was correct in terms of performance and potential?

msstate7
06-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Or they should do away with the 268 cap on 4*s that they give. https://247sports.com/college/appalachian-state/Article/247Sports-Rating-Explanation-81574/. Right now, 247 has 351 players rated 4* or better in the composite rankings. By their own system, that means that 51 players who are 4*s today in the composite aren't considered 4*s by 247. That tells you how much subjectivity there is in the evaluations and as we all know it is not an exact science.

Who would you rather have had as a QB at MSU in the 2011 class? 5* Jeff Driskel or 3* Dak Prescott? Which rating was correct in terms of performance and potential?

Hindsight makes decisions easy. Would you take Uiagalelei or will Rogers this cycle?

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 10:25 AM

I get your point, but honestly, in recruiting I'd rather have 3 Jeff Driskel's than 1 Dak Prescott & take my chances

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 10:46 AM
There's a difference in recruiting to "win a bunch of games" and recruiting to win the division. Shotgun is correct in his assesments. Moorhead is landing a lot of his top targets, and you have to be pleased with that, but they're, at this point, for the most part 3* guys. Yes, not all 3*s are created equal, but without having at least half of your roster being comprised of 4 and 5*s, you cannot win the division. It's the history of the league since the modern recruiting database became available. So, you have to ask yourself what is the goal? If it's to win some games and be bowl eligible and maybe have a run every 4th year where we win 10 games then yeah, this recruiting performance can get you there with elite coaching (of which we currently do not have based on last seasons results, but willing to give some leeway to see what happens this year). If you want to really compete for the crown, you have to recruit better than this. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the straight facts.

msstate7
06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
There's a difference in recruiting to "win a bunch of games" and recruiting to win the division. Shotgun is correct in his assesments. Moorhead is landing a lot of his top targets, and you have to be pleased with that, but they're, at this point, for the most part 3* guys. Yes, not all 3*s are created equal, but without having at least half of your roster being comprised of 4 and 5*s, you cannot win the division. It's the history of the league since the modern recruiting database became available. So, you have to ask yourself what is the goal? If it's to win some games and be bowl eligible and maybe have a run every 4th year where we win 10 games then yeah, this recruiting performance can get you there with elite coaching (of which we currently do not have based on last seasons results, but willing to give some leeway to see what happens this year). If you want to really compete for the crown, you have to recruit better than this. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the straight facts.

Considering the division we're in, I'm perfectly fine with 8 wins most years with the 10-win season every 3-4 years. Maintaining a 10 win pace will be almost impossible... if we land a coach that can get it done, he'll be taken from us.

Pollodawg
06-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Not dogging three star kids, per se. They can be the backbone of your program. You just have to snag some four and five stars, which we have, to leaven the bread, so-to-speak.

GeorgeKaplan
06-18-2019, 10:58 AM
We've currently got 1 4 star recruit. 1.

Jumping quickly on the 3 stars in the state & not pushing for more highly rated recruits from outside the state would be the definition of country club

I love the Dean commitment & I think JoMo is making the best of a down instate year, but let's slow the roll on praising his recruiting.

Again, regardless of anyone's opinions of what players SHOULD be ranked, JoMo currently only has 1 4 star commitment.

That will get us killed in our division. Absolutely slaughtered

Alabama has 17 4+ stars committed
LSU has 13
A&M has 5
Auburn has 6

Those schools aren't committing every 3 instate kid that likes them. They are fighting for 4 stars.

Just saying.

I'm not being negative as I believe we will soon start to add the 4 stars, but it's just plainly inaccurate at this point to like this recruiting class. Completely inaccurate

Go. Away.

BrunswickDawg
06-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Hindsight makes decisions easy. Would you take Uiagalelei or will Rogers this cycle?

To a degree hindsight makes it easy. You also have reality of staring you in the face that we are still years away from recruiting at the level Shotgun is proposing. Our best year in the last 10 saw 7 4* players (2015). Since 2010, we have averaged 4.5 4*s or higher. That was an increase over to 2000-2009 period that saw an average of 3.1. Expecting us to double that number quickly isn't realistic. Joe signed 6 in each of his first 2 classes - Dan did that three times in 9 classes. Getting to 6-7 a class on a regular basis is probably a realistic plateau for right now. It's not satisfying, but I don't see any way to make a leap that large. So, you have to work toward increasing the number of 4*s while still recognizing that we are still a program that has to do an excellent job of landing talent that needs development.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 11:14 AM

You're skipping steps though with what you're talking about. We've been a Top 25-28 recruiting profile which has been good for 7-8 wins a year. What you're talking about is a Top 10-15 recruiting profile. Our next step is consistently in the Top 17 - 22 range. That should make us a consistent 8-10 win team. That's the next step not jumping over that straight to consistently challenging for the division. Get to a consistent 8-10 win team & every 2-3 years you can challenge for the division.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Jumping quickly on the 3 stars in the state & not pushing for more highly rated recruits from outside the state would be the definition of country club

I love the Dean commitment & I think JoMo is making the best of a down instate year, but let's slow the roll on praising his recruiting.

Again, regardless of anyone's opinions of what players SHOULD be ranked, JoMo currently only has 1 4 star commitment.

LSU has 13
A&M has 5
Auburn has 6

Those schools aren't committing every 3 instate kid that likes them. They are fighting for 4 stars.

Just saying.

I'm not being negative as I believe we will soon start to add the 4 stars, but it's just plainly inaccurate at this point to like this recruiting class. Completely inaccurate

agree....For every 4 star we get there are 4 other teams in our division....not just conference...DIVISION... that are getting 3 or 4. It sucks but it's just the way it is. Frankly I am getting sick and tired of being mediocre and even more sick and tired of the sunshine pumping sect of our fanbase acting like Moorhead is recruiting lights out when he is not. Quantity don't equal quality.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Go. Away.

Why?

So inaccurate narratives can thrive?

Want to get me to go away? Post with accuracy & stop praising mediocrity. There is a difference in firing mediocrity & not praising mediocrity. I am not in favor or am close to being in favor of firing Moorhead, but I'm not going to praise him for gobbling up solid 3 stars in Mississippi. He had 18 instate 4 & 5 stars last year & missed on most.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 11:23 AM
You're skipping steps though with what you're talking about. We've been a Top 25-28 recruiting profile which has been good for 7-8 wins a year. What you're talking about is a Top 10-15 recruiting profile. Our next step is consistently in the Top 17 - 22 range. That should make us a consistent 8-10 win team. That's the next step not jumping over that straight to consistently challenging for the division. Get to a consistent 8-10 win team & every 2-3 years you can challenge for the division.

We've been to 9 straight bowl games though.

If being a consistent winner doesn't seem to help recruiting, what does?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
We've been to 9 straight bowl games though.

If being a consistent winner doesn't seem to help recruiting, what does?

Can we at least see how the new staff does with 2-3 full recruiting cycles before we make this determination?

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
We've averaged 8 wins over the last decade. At what point should we start expecting a next step? How many years in a row can the patience card be played? I've done the numbers on it. There's 10 MS HS blue chips every year, you need to land at least half of them. There's 4 MS Juco blue chips every year, you have to land one of those. There's 350+ non MS blue chips every year, you need to land 4 of those. It's not a cake walk, but people acting as if signing 10 blue chips every year is some ridiculous number have no aspiration for this program. It is quite doable.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 11:35 AM
We've averaged 8 wins over the last decade. At what point should we start expecting a next step? How many years in a row can the patience card be played? I've done the numbers on it. There's 10 MS HS blue chips every year, you need to land at least half of them. There's 4 MS Juco blue chips every year, you have to land one of those. There's 350+ non MS blue chips every year, you need to land 4 of those. It's not a cake walk, but people acting as if signing 10 blue chips every year is some ridiculous number have no aspiration for this program. It is quite doable.

Agree

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Not sure. But we need to be signing around 10 4 stars a year.

Recruiting classes like this one unless we pick it up, on paper will get us destroyed in the future.

I also think we may have 3-4 commits that are raised to 4 stars, but they haven't been yet & until they do, they're 3 stars.

There is little difference between high 3 star players and 4 star players.
Stop worrying about what these recruiting guys rate a player and look more at offers he has.
Plus if we keep hitting jucos with instant impact players that are P5 talent we will continue to have success

msstate7
06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Stop worrying about what these recruiting guys rate a player and look more at offers he has.
Plus if we keep hitting jucos with instant impact players that are P5 talent we will continue to have success

Even so, look at the offer lists of the current commits at aTm, auburn, Alabama, and LSU compared to ours.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 11:58 AM

It's pretty well know how many 4 & 5 stars you need on your roster to compete for the West. You're probably right in that there isn't much difference in reality between these guys & many 4 stars, but on paper there is. We simply won't meet the profile of a contender until we are landing about 10 4+ stars a year

msstate7
06-18-2019, 12:07 PM
I will say this though, dean is a 3-star we should always take. I love this commitment... I think some of our others may be reaches

gravedigger
06-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Dang crazy he?s only a 3 star. Shows offers from Alabama, Georgia, USCe, and Tenn

No. recruiting services know more than Saban, Smart and all of the actual people at the programs who evaluate these kids.

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 12:15 PM
It's pretty well know how many 4 & 5 stars you need on your roster to compete for the West. You're probably right in that there isn't much difference in reality between these guys & many 4 stars, but on paper there is. We simply won't meet the profile of a contender until we are landing about 10 4+ stars a year

It's just like betting against the house in blackjack. Sure, you can win, but in the aggregate over time they win. That's the code for recruiting in college football. If you don't have 50% blue chip ratio, you don't have a chance. Until someone comes along and turns the game upside down, that's the standard. There's been a couple of teams come close. Oregon in 2014 was the closest anyone has come. You have to have elite QB play, favorable schedule, and a decent bit of underranked talent. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it hasn't been done yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Even so, look at the offer lists of the current commits at aTm, auburn, Alabama, and LSU compared to ours.

If that's the barometer then you're never going to be happy. Those are top 12 recruiting schools. We have to get closer to them in recruiting we're not going to recruit like them. Again we can win a ton of games if we move up to that consistent 17-22 range. That's an extra couple of 4* a class. That's where we need to move up to 1st.

msstate7
06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
It's just like betting against the house in blackjack. Sure, you can win, but in the aggregate over time they win. That's the code for recruiting in college football. If you don't have 50% blue chip ratio, you don't have a chance. Until someone comes along and turns the game upside down, that's the standard. There's been a couple of teams come close. Oregon in 2014 was the closest anyone has come. You have to have elite QB play, favorable schedule, and a decent bit of underranked talent. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it hasn't been done yet.

I think Scott frost may be that guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 12:27 PM
I don't want my posts on here to be misconstrued that I think everything is great with recruiting & we can't improve. I definitely know we have to get better but I also see the effort this staff is making. Of course this is a results oriented business but usually better effort lead to better results. I like the discussion & back & forth. I just like to acknowledge the small gains we're making while realizing there's more work to do.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 12:31 PM
I don't want my posts on here to be misconstrued that I think everything is great with recruiting & we can't improve. I definitely know we have to get better but I also see the effort this staff is making. Of course this is a results oriented business but usually better effort lead to better results. I like the discussion & back & forth. I just like to acknowledge the small gains we're making while realizing there's more work to do.

Good to hear.

When is the next "big class" in Mississippi?

I realize the 2019 one was rare, but is there another really strong one coming up?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Good to hear.

When is the next "big class" in Mississippi?

I realize the 2019 one was rare, but is there another really strong one coming up?

2021 will be very good. Now will it be 2019 I doubt it. That class had been talked about since they were in 10th grade.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 12:38 PM
2021 will be very good. Now will it be 2019 I doubt it. That class had been talked about since they were in 10th grade.

We'll have to have a verdict then I guess.

Doggie_Style
06-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Fair enough....I think this will turn out to be a middle of the road class for us. It isn't going to kill us. I do think Joe is still learning and I think in the future he will hold off taking certain kids so early (Ducking, Anderson-Butts. etc., come to mind) and pushing to get a higher rated kid in. I also believe that we have to accept that we are going to plateau until Joe figures out how to recruit more efficiently and has all of his contacts in place. I also think Joe has to show the world that he can field a competent offense. That should happen shortly. People like Joe and if he proves he can win at this level we should be able to take the next step.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 12:57 PM
I do think Joe is still learning .

If true, I have a huge problem with this. Can't learn in this conference.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Ole Miss just landed a 92 rated safety from Shreveport.

How? What in hell?

msstate7
06-18-2019, 01:09 PM

How? What in hell?

Will they get Jackson and pegues?

Doggie_Style
06-18-2019, 01:11 PM

How? What in hell?

LSU already has two higher rated safeties committed...but yea

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 01:27 PM

How? What in hell?

He isn’t a take yet for LSU and the only other sec offer outside of OM is UK .. maybe he signs with OM maybe he doesn’t .. Dean > and it’s not really close ... again stop star gazing

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 01:29 PM
again stop star gazing

You can't be serious?

How about they get the ranking right?

How else are you supposed to follow recruiting? One is ranked a 92 & the other an 86. Those two players aren't remotely close in the rankings. If the 86 is better than the 92, then we may as well ditch recruiting rankings

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 01:33 PM
So since I posted look for the bell to be ringing , we get a commit from arguable the most talented in state with Dean , prob going to land 2 more big time recruits before weeks end or the weekend and
3/4 of the post have been bitching about recruiting .. it’s pretty amazing ....

msu15
06-18-2019, 01:37 PM
So since I posted look for the bell to be ringing , we get a commit from arguable the most talented in state with Dean , prob going to land 2 more big time recruits before weeks end or the weekend and
3/4 of the post have been bitching about recruiting .. it’s pretty amazing ....

It is man, and it's the same bunch every single time.

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 01:38 PM
You can't be serious?

How else are you supposed to follow recruiting? One is ranked a 92 & the other an 86. Those two players aren't remotely close in the rankings. If the 86 is better than the 92, then we may as well ditch recruiting rankings

I will take a kid that has offers from damn near every SEC school including bama and Uga over a 4 star rated kid that has offers from OM and UK ..
I don’t understand why some of you can’t understand that ...

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 01:38 PM
You can't be serious?

I will take a kid that has offers from damn near every SEC school including bama and Uga over a 4 star rated kid that has offers from OM and UK ..
I don?t understand why some of you can?t understand that ...

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 01:45 PM

It's because most look at stars and numbers because they don't actually have to think or research. Most on here would rather take a 4 star kid over a 3 star kid without looking at the kids. I think stars are important. But I think offers are more important.

I would take a 3 star with offers from Bama and Georgia every day of the week over a kid that's a 4 star with offers from Ole Miss and Kentucky.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 01:49 PM
I don?t understand why some of you can?t understand that ...

I don't understand why you get combative about us looking at recruiting rankings. Go fight City Hall for better recruiting rankings instead of fighting us.

I get your point, I really do, but it doesn't change the fact that their is a Gulf between this kid & Dean in the recruiting rankings. Maybe this kid has academic issues. IDK.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 01:50 PM
It's because most look at stars and numbers because they don't actually have to think or research. Most on here would rather take a 4 star kid over a 3 star kid without looking at the kids. I think stars are important. But I think offers are more important.

I would take a 3 star with offers from Bama and Georgia every day of the week over a kid that's a 4 star with offers from Ole Miss and Kentucky.

I tell you what, I'll take 85 4 stars & I'll give you 85 3 stars with better offers. We'll see who wins more games.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:03 PM

LSU has 13
A&M has 5
Auburn has 6

Just saying.

And I think you are completely inaccurate with this post and shouldnt let guys who couldnt care less tell you how good a kid is, better yet an entire recruiting class. MS is always going to have good players whether they are 3 stars or 1 stars.

He has done a good job with this class and in this offseason. Anyone who says he hasnt is ignorant or just hating. Dean is easily more impactful than McKinley Jackson is, plays 10x harder and makes 10x more plays than he does. You tell me which one you want. Unless you are like a lot of the crystal ballers that rate these kids and never have even seen them play.

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 02:04 PM
I tell you what, I'll take 85 4 stars & I'll give you 85 3 stars with better offers. We'll see who wins more games.

My team every single time. I'll take that bet 100% of the time. Give me 85 3 stars with Alabama and Georgia offers and I'll give you 85 4 stars with Ole Miss and Kentucky offers and my team would whip the piss out of your team.

That's the whole point. Stars matter. But that's because most highly rated guys have good offers. But there are plenty of 3 stars that stay 3 stars that have solid offers because they fit well or bloom late or get overlooked. But if Bama wants a kid, that's all I need to know. Saban is the gold standard. If he offers a kid, it means they are elite or have elite potential. Not pretty good. Elite. Coaches know more than these website paid scouts that charge kids and their families to put their recruiting profiles on their websites to get hits and views

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 02:08 PM

I like Dean. He could end up as a 4* guy. Has a nice offer list. He might be better than Reed. Idk. His final 2 were State and South Carolina. You figure out how legit those offers were smart guy.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:10 PM
I get your point, but honestly, in recruiting I'd rather have 3 Jeff Driskel's than 1 Dak Prescott & take my chances

And you would end up exactly like UF did not having a single QB worth a damn. Evaluation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>star system

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 02:13 PM
My team every single time. I'll take that bet 100% of the time. Give me 85 3 stars with Alabama and Georgia offers and I'll give you 85 4 stars with Ole Miss and Kentucky offers and my team would whip the piss out of your team.

That's the whole point. Stars matter. But that's because most highly rated guys have good offers. But there are plenty of 3 stars that stay 3 stars that have solid offers because they fit well or bloom late or get overlooked. But if Bama wants a kid, that's all I need to know. Saban is the gold standard. If he offers a kid, it means they are elite or have elite potential. Not pretty good. Elite. Coaches know more than these website paid scouts that charge kids and their families to put their recruiting profiles on their websites to get hits and views

You'll get your ass kicked about 80 times per the numbers. The team with the higher recruiting ranking beats teams with lower recruiting rankings 80% of the time straight up. That's a researched statistic for the genius who said we should do our research. It takes no research to just shout "offers! look at the offers!". Offers are abstract. They are not always the same. Rankings have become scientific. They matter and mean something in concert with winning. If you people don't get that by now or are turning a blind eye to it then you will be stuck having this same dumbass argument every year wondering why we aren't getting better.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:17 PM

Sure its doable, maybe once every 10 years or so or if OM goes 2-10 for the next 2 years and Orgeron bottoms out AND Malzahn gets fired and Auburn tanks. Bear Bryant said in his book at A&M, that if there is 10 good players in state your best shot is 5. We are probably right on that. OM is going to get some kids, USM is going to get one every now and then and Auburn, LSU and Bama now even UGA are going to be after them hard. Thats just the truth. We are never, EVER going to sign the 10 best players all from MS in one year. Blue chip is an opinion and like I've said as long as some of you keep depending on the Dandy Dozen list and the crooting sites to tell you how good we are doing you are never going to be happy.

All you can realistically expect a staff to do is go out and recruit the shit out of the kids and this staff has done that vastly better than Mullen and his crew ever did.

ShotgunDawg
Anyone who says he hasnt is ignorant or just hating.

Ok. I just realized that we only have 1 4 star commitment & every SEC West team that has won the division over the past 20 or so years has about 50% 4 & 5 stars on their roster.

Do you dispute this fact?

Ari Gold
I like Dean. He could end up as a 4* guy. Has a nice offer list. He might be better than Reed. Idk. His final 2 were State and South Carolina. You figure out how legit those offers were smart guy.

I guess Reed is the kid that committed to OM... ?
Not only will I bet you Dean has a better college career than that kid, but I bet he doesn’t even end up at OM.
And yeah I’m a Smart mother ****er.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:18 PM

So crawl on over to 247 & tell Paul & Steve that the rankings are wrong.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:19 PM
And you would end up exactly like UF did not having a single QB worth a damn. Evaluation>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>star system

What QB do we have that is worth a damn?

I'd take Florida's QB situation over our right now.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:20 PM
You'll get your ass kicked about 80 times per the numbers. The team with the higher recruiting ranking beats teams with lower recruiting rankings 80% of the time straight up. That's a researched statistic for the genius who said we should do our research. It takes no research to just shout "offers! look at the offers!". Offers are abstract. They are not always the same. Rankings have become scientific. They matter and mean something in concert with winning. If you people don't get that by now or are turning a blind eye to it then you will be stuck having this same dumbass argument every year wondering why we aren't getting better.

Thank you for having a brain. I can't believe we are still having this conversation with other posters. It's mind boggling.

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 02:21 PM

That's the whole point. The rankings matter because the good teams offer the higher ranked kids and the high ranked kids have good offers. The reason you don't see many 3 stars with Alabama offers is because they have Alabama offers. They get bumped to 4 stars because of them being elite. We all bitch when we say "had they committed to Bama they would get a bump to a 4 star". Why do you think we say that? Because OFFERS matter and rankings almost always reflect offers.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Not only will I bet you Dean has a better college career than that kid, but I bet he doesn’t even end up at OM.

Again, you may be completely right. This isn't about Dean though.

This is about us only having 1 4 star commit when it's pretty well established that you've got to have around 10 4 stars in each recruiting class to compete

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 02:23 PM
So crawl on over to 247 & tell Paul & Steve that the rankings are wrong.

Here's the thing. Dean will end up a 4 star. It's freaking June man. There's almost 8 more months until the recruiting cycle is done and still another 5 months until early signing.

Dean will end up higher. Why? Because he has good offers. And when it's this far from signing day updates to rankings happen much fewer and far between.

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 02:24 PM

You smart enough to know how to read? I didn't make a definitive stance on Reed vs. Dean bc I honestly don't know. You, and people like you, list off offers from places a kid couldn't commit to. If UGA and Bama were willing to take Dean then why in the blue hell would his final 2 be State and South Carolina? Because those were camp offers. And all offers aren't created equally. But the smart MFers don't know that apparently.

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 02:24 PM

This is about us only having 1 4 star commit when it's pretty well established that you've got to have around 10 4 stars in each recruiting class to compete

It's June

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:25 PM
That's the whole point. The rankings matter because the good teams offer the higher ranked kids and the high ranked kids have good offers. The reason you don't see many 3 stars with Alabama offers is because they have Alabama offers. They get bumped to 4 stars because of them being elite. We all bitch when we say "had they committed to Bama they would get a bump to a 4 star". Why do you think we say that? Because OFFERS matter and rankings almost always reflect offers.

In some cases you are correct. Yes offers equal rankings.

However, what you must also realize is that there is a rankings model in which 247 simply plugs in the height, weight, position, size projection, speed, cone drill, & wing span, & the model spits out a range of where this player's natural ability should be ranked.

It's far far far more scientific than you think. Obviously quarterback & some skill positions like WR are a little more difficult to nail for the recruiting services, but most positions are not.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
It's June

Oh goodness. Don't bring that garbage here.

We've got 19 commits. Most of the hay is in the barn buddy.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Ok. I just realized that we only have 1 4 star commitment & every SEC West team that has won the division over the past 20 or so years has about 50% 4 & 5 stars on their roster.

Do you dispute this fact?

Well most of those divisions titles are to one team so I reckon we are all sucking ass in recruiting if you wanna put it that way. If you are hinging your MSU football recruiting happiness level on that system you will never be satisfied. Even if Dabo comes here you will still be in this thread bitching up a storm.

There is no difference in a class ranked 15 and one ranked 20. Or 20 and 25.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Well most of those divisions titles are to one team so I reckon we are all sucking ass in recruiting if you wanna put it that way. If you are hinging your MSU football recruiting happiness level on that system you will never be satisfied. Even if Dabo comes here you will still be in this thread bitching up a storm.

There is no difference in a class ranked 15 and one ranked 20. Or 20 and 25.

Go to bed. It's getting late for you.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Hopefully this will be 2 4 stars. Then we'll be 20% of the way to where we NEED to be.

https://twitter.com/Dill_7k/status/1141059796268961792

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 02:29 PM

You take your 85 players with offers from OM and UK and have Tom Lunginbil and J.C. Sherbet or what ever their names are and have them coach them since they are the ones that have them rated.
And I will take my 85 3 star players with offers from Bama and UGA and let Saban and Kirby coach them , because that is who they wanted
Neither is an exact science but I will trust coaches over so called recruiting gurus

Me , nor IYOK has never said taking more higher ranked players won’t help a program
Shit I would love to sign 28 4star guys every year

The things we have been saying that falls on deaf years is this:
This staff works hardener and puts more emphasis on recruiting than Dan and his staff did
This staff works outside the state of Miss and our contort recruiting zone better than Dan and his state did
The rating system on 3 and 4 star players isn’t an exact science. By saying that I ( can’t speak for IYOK ) would take a 3 star guy with a better offer sheet than a 4 star guy with less offers. So I trust coaches more than the so called experts

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:30 PM
What QB do we have that is worth a damn?

I'd take Florida's QB situation over our right now.

I wouldnt take Franks over Stevens. Franks is Chris Relf. Maybe a little better passer but not by much. Are you really going to sit here and act like UF has had a good QB since Mullen left them??? UF went years after Tebow not pissing a drop on offense. Will Grier was the best one and he got kicked out. UF signed 4 and 5 star QB by the boatload. Nick Fitzgerald and Dak had better careers than all of them. And more wins. Same thing has happened at Texas, Michigan, even A&M to an extent except for Manziel.

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Not gonna argue that that doesn't happen, but there's about 300 other blue chip kids on the planet that this has absolutely nothing to do with. And countless games involving kids that don't have any Bama offers that show how effective recruiting rankings are in being predictive of outcomes. Then there's the draft where a players ability to get drafted drops monumentally as you go down the star ladder. I just don't understand why people either just don't want to hear the facts or wrestle with them. Either way the info is out there.

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Oh goodness. Don't bring that garbage here.

We've got 19 commits. Most of the hay is in the barn buddy.

There's at least 2 that won't be in this class. And like I said. It's June. Lot of stuff left to do on the football field and in the classroom as well before signing day.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Go to bed. It's getting late for you.

Yes expand more on this vast knowledge of recruiting you have I am just dying to hear you tell me how a percent of a percent on 247 composite rankings makes one class better than the other. Then bitch up a storm about it for months on end. We consistently win more ball games than the teams that recruit around us (15-25 range). You are a professional melter when it comes to our football team man.

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Enough of this bullshit let’s get back to our players at hand and don’t be bringing any OM rebel commits over here that we aren’t even recruiting .. I don’t care if they are a 2 star form Noxapater or a 5 star from Mater Dei High
Also Some of you need to put to rest the I hate Joe Moorhead banners and get on board with this coach and staff.

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 02:38 PM
You take your 85 players with offers from OM and UK and have Tom Lunginbil and J.C. Sherbet or what ever their names are and have them coach them since they are the ones that have them rated.
And I will take my 85 3 star players with offers from Bama and UGA and let Saban and Kirby coach them , because that is who they wanted
Neither is an exact science but I will trust coaches over so called recruiting gurus

Me , nor IYOK has never said taking more higher ranked players won’t help a program
Shit I would love to sign 28 4star guys every year

The things we have been saying that falls on deaf years is this:
This staff works hardener and puts more emphasis on recruiting than Dan and his staff did
This staff works outside the state of Miss and our contort recruiting zone better than Dan and his state did
The rating system on 3 and 4 star players isn’t an exact science. By saying that I ( can’t speak for IYOK ) would take a 3 star guy with a better offer sheet than a 4 star guy with less offers. So I trust coaches more than the so called experts

I don't really give a damn who their offers are from. This is the same thing that happened in Moneyball. People who shout out offers and tape are the equivalent of the old school scouts who were holding on to the past like dinosaurs while the nerds did the homework and created the edge that now the majority of baseball and basketball use as their managing style of talent acquisition (soon to be all of the NFL too). I'll take the higher rated player all day every single day. And I will win if coaching is even remotely even. It's not an exact science, but it's the most exact science available. Start talking to people about film and offers and then you dive off into arbitrary characteristics that have no tangible meaning. Anyone can debate film or what offer is a real vs fake offer. It's really not all that hard to grasp if you know how a calculator functions.

BuckyIsAB****
06-18-2019, 02:40 PM
In some cases you are correct. Yes offers equal rankings.

However, what you must also realize is that there is a rankings model in which 247 simply plugs in the height, weight, position, size projection, speed, cone drill, & wing span, & the model spits out a range of where this player's natural ability should be ranked.

It's far far far more scientific than you think. Obviously quarterback & some skill positions like WR are a little more difficult to nail for the recruiting services, but most positions are not.

If thats the case then lets just go tell Moorhead and crew to hire those guys and do the evaulations for them and we can save them all the time. There's a reason no coaches give a flying shit about the rankings. The only people that do are the ones that want to have a dick measuring contest in June and on signing day

Ari Gold
06-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Some of these guys will move up. Half of this ranking bullshit is based on 7-7 ..
Cross was a 3 to begin
Chris jones was a 3
We will prob end up about like we also do 6-7 4 star high school guys and the jucos
For that matter Sweat and Abram both ended as 3?s in juco.. you think those were 3 star players???

Just chill out. Enjoy the good news coming ..

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 02:52 PM
This thread has gone off the rails so I'll just post this & let the back & forth continue. On signing I expect MSU to sign between 7-10 4* or better recruits.

msstate7
06-18-2019, 02:58 PM
This thread has gone off the rails so I'll just post this & let the back & forth continue. On signing I expect MSU to sign between 7-10 4* or better recruits.

That's adding at least 6 (or jumps) and we have 19 commits at the moment. I don't even pretend to know the recruiting circuit as well as you, but I do think that's a very rosy outlook. I'd feel comfortable taking the under on 7 4-stars

Pipedream
06-18-2019, 03:09 PM
That's adding at least 6 (or jumps) and we have 19 commits at the moment. I don't even pretend to know the recruiting circuit as well as you, but I do think that's a very rosy outlook. I'd feel comfortable taking the under on 7 4-stars

I think 7 is a good O/U for this year-Marks is on the list.
Dean and Brown have a strong chance to be 4*s before it is all said and done due to exposure.
Tea leaves read pretty strong for us to land Dillon Johnson and Tulu.
I think Heath is going to be a 4*, definitely had the pedigree. Most think we lead there, but I'm a little concerned he remains uncommited. Jordan Davis is a 4* and we are in the thick of it there.
I think we are definitely in the game for Xavier Hill and he is going to end up being a 4*.Same goes for Eason who is already a 4*. Selmon could get a bump back to 4*s if he's healthy and improves this season.
That's 10 guys right there. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the JuCo DL we have committed shows out this fall and gets re-ranked. The guys are out there to get to that number. A lot of it is going to depend on how we look this year.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 03:10 PM

And I'll be happy if that's the case. That would mean we are on pace to compete.

And fwiw, I don't think the thread went off the rails at all. I think this is a very very worthy discussion.

We come to message boards to discuss and debate. Not just read a commit list

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 03:34 PM

That's fair. I do have the list in my head though it wasn't just an arbitrary #.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2019, 03:35 PM
And I'll be happy if that's the case. That would mean we are on pace to compete.

And fwiw, I don't think the thread went off the rails at all. I think this is a very very worthy discussion.

Considering they kept saying this thread was just supposed to be about prospects info that's why I said it. Not the overall discussion where it was being held.

timotheus
06-18-2019, 03:54 PM
I think 7 is a good O/U for this year-Marks is on the list.
Dean and Brown have a strong chance to be 4*s before it is all said and done due to exposure.
Tea leaves read pretty strong for us to land Dillon Johnson and Tulu.
I think Heath is going to be a 4*, definitely had the pedigree. Most think we lead there, but I'm a little concerned he remains uncommited. Jordan Davis is a 4* and we are in the thick of it there.
I think we are definitely in the game for Xavier Hill and he is going to end up being a 4*.Same goes for Eason who is already a 4*. Selmon could get a bump back to 4*s if he's healthy and improves this season.
That's 10 guys right there. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the JuCo DL we have committed shows out this fall and gets re-ranked. The guys are out there to get to that number. A lot of it is going to depend on how we look this year.

sounds like we all saying the same thing

Bothrops
06-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Go back and look at our 247 individual player rankings in the last 10 cycles and come up with your own conclusions about stars. It will open your eyes. I can tell you that the system is flawed due to a disinterest for the vast number of MS products by city slicker reporters. Plus, there's also the MSU recruit ranking "dip" that still plagues our class rankings, before and after each cycle has concluded. At least before you disregard our 3 star players, lease consider what our individual player rankings would be for the lot of these guys, if they had hailed from Texas. Remember what BMac and Abrams where ranked out of high school, and what Sweat and Slay were ranked as MSU commits??

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Go back and look at our 247 individual player rankings in the last 10 cycles and come up with your own conclusions about stars. It will open your eyes. I can tell you that the system is flawed due to a disinterest for the vast number of MS products by city slicker reporters. Plus, there's also the MSU recruit ranking "dip" that still plagues our class rankings, before and after each cycle has concluded. At least before you disregard our 3 star players, lease consider what our individual player rankings would be for the lot of these guys, if they had hailed from Texas. Remember what BMac and Abrams where ranked out of high school, and what Sweat and Slay were ranked as MSU commits??

I'm not sure that people that make this argument quite understand what we are saying.

Yes, there are many many underrated players on our commit list & there is absolutely a bias against Mississippi players in the rankings. Absolutely no one here is denying that. However, can you compete for the SEC West with an entire class of underrated players?

I don't think so & history tells us that you cannot.

This is not an individual player discussion. It's about big data & taking the entire class at face value.

MetEdDawg
06-18-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure that people that make this argument quite understand what we are saying.

Yes, there are many many underrated players on our commit list & there is absolutely a bias against Mississippi players in the rankings. Absolutely no one here is denying that. However, can you compete for the SEC West with an entire class of underrated players?

This is not an individual player discussion. It's about big data & taking the entire class at face value.

No you can't make a roster of that. But you can change the perception of a program by ranking guys appropriately. Think about how many 3 star talents could have been 4 stars and changed our ranking or our perception.

Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star. Now because of the distance between us and #25 that year (Roughly 5.5 points) it might not have changed our ranking nationally. But might have made it close.

2017 is the one that to me could have changed the perception. Abram was a 3 star 89 overall, Sweat was an 86, Day was a 2 star 79 overall. All 3 of those should have been ranked higher regardless of how they finished this last year. We finished 9 points behind UCLA for 20th. Could that have been a Top 20 class? Very possible.

Those changes could make big perception changes for us as a whole.

HoopsDawg
06-18-2019, 06:21 PM
No you can't make a roster of that. But you can change the perception of a program by ranking guys appropriately. Think about how many 3 star talents could have been 4 stars and changed our ranking or our perception.

Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star. Now because of the distance between us and #25 that year (Roughly 5.5 points) it might not have changed our ranking nationally. But might have made it close.

2017 is the one that to me could have changed the perception. Abram was a 3 star 89 overall, Sweat was an 86, Day was a 2 star 79 overall. All 3 of those should have been ranked higher regardless of how they finished this last year. We finished 9 points behind UCLA for 20th. Could that have been a Top 20 class? Very possible.

Those changes could make big perception changes for us as a whole.

That works both ways, I remember when Paul and Robbie got Traver Jung rated as a 4 star, lol. I had to quit the boards after they eliminated 2 star rankings and then the Genespage merger. But I'm glad that IYOK and others can keep us informed. I've followed recruiting for 21 years, and I can tell you that not much changes. We get more talent now than most teams in D1. Unfortunately there are 6 teams in our own division that are going to out-recruit us a lot of the time.

Goldendawg
06-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Ok, so right now some of our higher ranked 3*'s have offers from bama, LSU, Ga, etc. Some get bumped up during their SR season. But, they already have a varying # of 5's and a large # of 4's. Our style recruits are among our highest rank commits, while the same style ranked players fill out their remaining spots. If we can't find a way to continue to step it up, we will never move to the next level. BTW, how accurate is 247? I look at the remaining list of our 4* "targets" and most are cool to us, click on said player profile, and it shows Brian Baker recruiting him for bama and us. How often do they re-evaluate or update. Recruiting is hardcore and cut throat in the West! Hail State!

Homedawg
06-18-2019, 09:53 PM

I understand the part about our commits taking a dip, but Chris Jones and Charles crows are clearly huge expectations.

maroonmania
06-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Well, at least actual recruiting is actually being discussed in the recruiting thread. That's better than it is during most times.

Bothrops
06-18-2019, 11:20 PM

If your talking about recruiting top 15, well you know that answer. Not happening here. Even getting top 20 is much harder now than it used to be for us. If you're talking about perception, it will never be good at MSU in recruiting, regardless if our players are All American caliber or not.

Bothrops
06-18-2019, 11:33 PM
Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star.

At one time ESPN had Errol ranked as the #1 MLB in the country

Jarius
06-18-2019, 11:37 PM

We will have at a minimum 6 4 stars but probably 7 or 8. The people on here freaking out about kids only being ranked 3 stars in June don’t know what they are talking about. There are commits that are going to get bumped to 4 stars within the next couple of months and there are 3 or 4 kids that are already 4 stars that we are leading for right now. In a down year in the state, we are going to have a top 25 and maybe a top 20 class if the chalk holds. That is an upgrade.

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Dillon Johnson announces today at 1. We need some good news to help us get past baseball last night.

Also, Lideatrick Griffin will probably announce soon as well. For those star gazers, these are two 4 stars that are highly coveted. Let's get them both.

msstate7
06-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Dillon Johnson announces today at 1. We need some good news to help us get past baseball last night.

Also, Lideatrick Griffin will probably announce soon as well. For those star gazers, these are two 4 stars that are highly coveted. Let's get them both.
Get those 2 and this class looks much better. Still need a few more 4-stars though

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Get those 2 and this class looks much better. Still need a few more 4-stars though
Bryson Eason and Jordan Davis are two 4 stars we also have a good chance to get. And like others have said, Janari Dean, Brown, Cooley, and a few others will most likely get bumped to a 4 star. I think we end up with 7-8 which would be pretty good

Bothrops
06-21-2019, 12:04 PM
I don't think we get Eason, but I can't see us not getting Davis.

jacksondawg
06-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Moorhead just rang the bell

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Moorhead just rang the bell

He said "re-ring" the bell, which means it's Tulu (Griffin)

Bothrops
06-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Joe said re-ring, so Tulu?

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Yep, it's official. Lideatrick Griffin is back in the boat. Electric player.

https://twitter.com/LideatrickG/status/1142124451183697925

Ari Gold
06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Might be a surprise ring before Monday.. little icing on the cake ..
bout to me a good weekend for MSU football

Bothrops
06-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Might be a surprise ring before Monday.. little icing on the cake ..
bout to me a good weekend for MSU football

Oh yeah....

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Bell is ringing again. Dillon Johnson, come on down

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 01:02 PM
https://twitter.com/Dill_7k/status/1142130287331205120

2nd 4 star RB in the class.

Ari Gold
06-21-2019, 01:15 PM
There they are... let’s see if joe and the staff can work that 3rd...
great weekend either way..
Props to CJM and the staff .. when it comes to recruiting They get it!!!

msstate7
06-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Good job staff

Commercecomet24
06-21-2019, 01:20 PM
There they are... let’s see if joe and the staff can work that 3rd...
great weekend either way..
Props to CJM and the staff .. when it comes to recruiting They get it!!!

Yep doing work! This staff are tireless recruiting

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Obviously, a fantastic job by Moorhead and the staff. Our class is pretty close to being full. But we started off strong last year and kind of limped to the finish line. It's important that he keeps all of these guys in the boat because as of now, this is a strong class

msu15
06-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Like I said before Beavis and Butt-head wanted to throw it off the rails, this ain't the country club no more!

msstate7
06-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Like I said before Beavis and Butt-head wanted to throw it off the rails, this ain't the country club no more!

You realize Mullen's last class just had 2 1st round picks already and Kylin, gay, rivers, and Cole are pretty sure bets to be drafted. We just set a school record this past draft for 1st rounders with "country club recruiting"

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2019, 02:21 PM
You realize Mullen's last class just had 2 1st round picks already and Kylin, gay, rivers, and Cole are pretty sure bets to be drafted. We just set a school record this past draft for 1st rounders with "country club recruiting"

True, and I feel like Joe is doing just as well if not better.

msstate7
06-21-2019, 02:25 PM
True, and I feel like Joe is doing just as well if not better.

Moorhead is having one hell of a week recruiting, and I feel much better about this cycle. I just don't get the desire to rip Mullen with every commitment. Mullen was a prick and he obviously wanted to go, but thank God for the time he was here... he elevated our program, and I hold no resentment

Bdawg
06-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Pretty cool. My wife taught Dillon in 5th grade. Said he was a little rebellious back then but is a very very good kid, especially now that he is older. His Mom was/is a dentist at Parchman prison and supposedly didn't put up with much junk! Ha ha. Great job by our staff and good luck Dillon!

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 09:53 PM
I just know this thread would be nuclear right now if he committed somewhere else. Maybe its the baseball loss but Moorhead gets 2 4 stars in one day and there isnt much of a peep. I think its funny there was a 4 page war over not having enough 4 stars and now look....

Bdawg
06-21-2019, 10:37 PM
I just know this thread would be nuclear right now if he committed somewhere else. Maybe its the baseball loss but Moorhead gets 2 4 stars in one day and there isnt much of a peep. I think its funny there was a 4 page war over not having enough 4 stars and now look....

I was thinking the same thing. Chatter seems mighty light after 2 4* guys commit. Also, nice job by the staff to get a decommit back in the boat. That doesn't usually seem to happen for us.

Pollodawg
06-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Cole Smith is in the transfer portal. His dad played here. Do we go get him?

GeorgeKaplan
06-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Good job staff

Your most insightful post eh-va. Congratulations.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 12:33 AM

I would.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2019, 08:01 AM

If we need depth I could see it. I'm not sure he's a SEC starter.

msstate7
06-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Then I'd pass. Take a HS kid that might end up a starter

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2019, 09:18 AM
Then I'd pass. Take a HS kid that might end up a starter

I'd encourage him to go to juco this season. See how he looks this season & make a decision. I think people want Cole more because he's a legacy than his playing ability.

Pollodawg
06-22-2019, 09:30 AM

I gotcha. I was just wondering with him being a legacy and all.

Ari Gold
06-22-2019, 09:41 AM
I'd encourage him to go to juco this season. See how he looks this season & make a decision. I think people want Cole more because he's a legacy than his playing ability.

Agree and I think we have our starting center of the future with Nick Pendley

timotheus
06-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Cole was somewhat sold a false bill of goods. He was promised a lil too much up front and was not leveled with. Now he sees the writing on the wall and isn't comfortable. He's as tuff as they come but is a year or 2 away from being ready. I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

No BS Dawg
06-22-2019, 01:33 PM
Ari, any update on another possible commit this weekend?

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Cole was somewhat sold a false bill of goods. He was promised a lil too much up front and was not leveled with. Now he sees the writing on the wall and isn't comfortable. He's as tuff as they come but is a year or 2 away from being ready. I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

Why are families so stupid?

Sorry, that's Cole and his family's fault, not the school he signed with.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Why are families so stupid?

Sorry, that's Cole and his family's fault, not the school he signed with.

Part of it is how he was sold during the recruiting process. The fact of the matter is most players don't want to hear "redshirt, work hard, and then maybe you'll start as redshirt junior after playing special teams as a RS freshman and being a back-up as a RS sophomore". Of course with Hevesy he probably barely got any phone calls but that's another ball of wax. Because recruiters do have to show their recruits some attention.

Recruiting is a selling job and if somewhere like LSU is telling you that they think you will play as a freshman and MSU is saying the above statement a lot of prospects aren't going to choose MSU.

And I think that this is changing for the better at MSU. So, it's not as much of an issue as it was.

Homedawg
06-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Fact is, our last staff didn't think he was good enough for an offer. He got one, yes, but because of pressure and the whole legacy thing. Trust me they didn't want him. And quite frankly the effort proved that. I can't speak for the current staff as far as evaluation. I do know they tried hard, but doesn't mean the liked him. They came in with their hands tied. I would let him go to juco and go from there.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Xavier Hill commits to Bama

We are starting to lose more and more players to them and it's disturbing.

vv83
06-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Dang he?s from OB too, we?ve been doing well there lately. Bama only has 3 OL committed and all are 3 stars. I can?t imagine them not being in it with multiple 5 stars so could be a decent chance he doesn?t end up there

bulldawg28
06-23-2019, 01:48 PM

No more than usual. All players do not want to play college in their home state. It's their right and can be respected.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2019, 01:57 PM
No more than usual. All players do not want to play college in their home state. It's their right and can be respected.

Ok.....

I didn't see any disrespect. Did you?

bulldawg28
06-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Ok.....

I didn't see any disrespect. Did you?

No sir you were not disrespectful. I'm only saying there is nothing alarming of a kid choosing Alabama over Mississippi state football.

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Dang he?s from OB too, we?ve been doing well there lately. Bama only has 3 OL committed and all are 3 stars. I can?t imagine them not being in it with multiple 5 stars so could be a decent chance he doesn?t end up there

They'll get bumped up to four stars soon.

chef dixon
06-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Joe and staff are doing a great job so far this cycle

msstate7
06-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Joe and staff are doing a great job so far this cycle

Not sure how you can rate it "great". I think the grade on this class is still very much in the air. It will have to finish strong though to be "great"

MetEdDawg
06-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Yeah because every year they win and/or play in more and more championships.

But we've been down this road a crap ton of times already. You don't get why they leave and feel no matter what they should show loyalty. The rest of us understand why kids would pick Bama over MSU.

Not sure what's disturbing about kids choosing to play for the best coach at arguably the most prestigious football university of all time.

msbulldog
06-23-2019, 03:22 PM

Well Gun, Lil Nicky must be showing him his rings.

msbulldog
06-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Not sure how you can rate it "great". I think the grade on this class is still very much in the air. It will have to finish strong though to be "great"

Damn 7. does somebody piss in your cheerios every morning?

msstate7
06-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Damn 7. does somebody piss in your cheerios every morning?

I just don't see how it can be considered great. If you go by avg per recruit, we're 11th in the sec. Our ranking is a mirage at the moment considering we have so many more commits than a bunch of teams below us. IYOK thinks we'll finish strong, so I'm hopeful this class looks much better soon.

Goldendawg
06-23-2019, 04:16 PM
I just don't see how it can be considered great. If you go by avg per recruit, we're 11th in the sec. Our ranking is a mirage at the moment considering we have so many more commits than a bunch of teams below us. IYOK thinks we'll finish strong, so I'm hopeful this class looks much better soon.

He would have been one of our highest rated players at this time. He is third from the bottom in rating for bama recruits. This has been a problem for us for many years in trying to close the gap even a little with the blue bloods. BTW, there are 9 - 12 teams that will pass us in recruiting on 24/7 when all in said and done. We will still have to close strong and have some players re-ranked to have a top 25 class.

msbulldog
06-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Hey buddy, most of us on here are smart enough to see exactly what you are talking about! But Lord Have Mercy man, we just got 2-4 stars on our side of the ledger. That's really good news that some of us older Dawgs needed! All of us older guys were hoping that this years baseball team would get the national championship for MSU before we die! I always respect and enjoy your post. I just wish you would bring more positive sunshine to our site. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

KOdawg1
06-23-2019, 07:51 PM

It's way too early to look at avg recruit ranking. Most of these guys haven't been truly evaluated yet, and their rankings will change many times between now and NSD.

Look at their offers. Most have good offers

ejdallas322
06-23-2019, 09:28 PM
We about to get a commitment, be on the look out.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-23-2019, 09:30 PM

Oh yea?

RezDog7
06-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Don't come in here with your good news and ruin 7's pity party.

Bothrops
06-23-2019, 10:21 PM
For people worried about our stars, I'd like to ask why put so much faith in the rankings at this point? Ya know MS guys are often criticized for being from MS, and are THE LAST to be evaluated in all of the Southeastern U.S.. These sites are hit and miss, and miss just as much as they get it right.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 07:14 AM
For people worried about our stars, I'd like to ask why put so much faith in the rankings at this point? Ya know MS guys are often criticized for being from MS, and are THE LAST to be evaluated in all of the Southeastern U.S.. These sites are hit and miss, and miss just as much as they get it right.

I looked over the offers and this is the break down...
(I'm operating on the premise all offers are real)
3 4-stars - multiple good offers

4 players with more than 1 sec offers (not counting our offer)

3 players with 1 other sec

11 players with no other sec offers

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 07:32 AM
I looked over the offers and this is the break down...
(I'm operating on the premise all offers are real)
3 4-stars - multiple good offers

4 players with more than 1 sec offers (not counting our offer)

3 players with 1 other sec

11 players with no other sec offers

But, of those 11, you aren't telling the whole story. Of the JUCOs, Patterson is a re-commit from his HS recruitment (so no surprise he hasn't had other offers), Tre Lawson is a P5 transfer (FSU), Dolcine is a P5 transfer (UK), Key and McRae have P5 offers. On the non-JUCO front Rogers, Banks, McMillan, Cooley, and Jackson have P5 offers. So 9 of those no-SEC offers have other P5's after them or came from P5s via JUCO. Sometimes, it's not just about the SEC.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 07:37 AM
But, of those 11, you aren't telling the whole story. Of the JUCOs, Patterson is a re-commit from his HS recruitment (so no surprise he hasn't had other offers), Tre Lawson is a P5 transfer (FSU), Dolcine is a P5 transfer (UK), Key and McRae have P5 offers. On the non-JUCO front Rogers, Banks, McMillan, Cooley, and Jackson have P5 offers. So 10 of those no-SEC offers have other P5's after them. Sometimes, it's not just about the SEC.

Maybe so... I haven't even said this is a bad class. I just said calling it "great" is a stretch. Do you consider this a great class?

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Maybe so... I haven't even said this is a bad class. I just said calling it "great" is a stretch. Do you consider this a great class?

I typically don't consider a class "bad", "good" or "great" until we've seen what they produce on the field. There are just too many variables involved in how classes get ranked and how signing what you need vs. signing stars impacts your overall rating. Not to mention the subjectivity of individuals who rank players. Remember the #41 ranked class in 2011 gave us Dak, Slay, McKinney, Robinson, and Preston Smith - when the only 4 star we signed was Dee Arrington.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 08:04 AM
I typically don't consider a class "bad", "good" or "great" until we've seen what they produce on the field. There are just too many variables involved in how classes get ranked and how signing what you need vs. signing stars impacts your overall rating. Not to mention the subjectivity of individuals who rank players. Remember the #41 ranked class in 2011 gave us Dak, Slay, McKinney, Robinson, and Preston Smith - when the only 4 star we signed was Dee Arrington.
And that's fair, but right now all we have to base it on is rankings. Calling it great at the moment is just sunshine pumping. Could it turn out great? Hell yeah, but it could also turn out bad

MetEdDawg
06-24-2019, 08:20 AM
The other things you have to remember are:

1. It's still June. There are tons of kids that are going to move based on consistency from junior to senior year and still haven't been seen yet. Scouts all the time talk about how they go to a game to look at a kid and another kid jumps out. Then all of sudden that kid gets their first camp invite during summer and get a chance to show out.

2. It's pretty common for kids (MS kids in particular) who commit very early to not get moved much until late camps in late fall and winter. A kid like Rogers is a great example. Lot of folks like him a lot. He's been re-evaluated twice in the last week on 24/7 and has moved from the #782 overall prospect to the #642 prospect. And that will continue to go up. But he's coming to MSU and he's probably not gonna get a lot of other offers. He may not go to more camps. So he may be scored lower because of that.

There's a lot of evaluation left to go on. Some of our kids may get to play in bigger games as seniors against better competition and may show out and get a ratings bump. There's a lot of evaluation left to be done. So I wouldn't really start judging this class until late September. First half of senior football is over and we should have a better idea of how guys have changed from last year and from summer camps.

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 08:35 AM
And that's fair, but right now all we have to base it on is rankings. Calling it great at the moment is just sunshine pumping. Could it turn out great? Hell yeah, but it could also turn out bad

You can't have it both ways there 7. If all we have to go by right now is our ranking - which is #14 composite (#11 if just 247), then this is a great class. Yeah, everything will change between now and February and it will wind up in the 20s - but in the right now our rankings say it is pretty dang good. The flip side is if we were in the 30s or 40s right now with 20 commits, people would be burning the place down.

Dawgology
06-24-2019, 08:41 AM
You can't have it both ways there 7. If all we have to go by right now is our ranking - which is #14 composite (#11 if just 247), then this is a great class. Yeah, everything will change between now and February and it will wind up in the 20s - but in the right now our rankings say it is pretty dang good. The flip side is if we were in the 30s or 40s right now with 20 commits, people would be burning the place down.

This. JoMo is doing this correctly for now. We will see how it shakes out in 6 months

Pollodawg
06-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Recruiting will always be fluid because you’re dealing with the most unpredictable beast of all: the human teenager.

I know next to nothing about recruiting, but I fully expect us to add and lose as we go. That’s how it always works. The class we have now may not be the class we sign.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 09:56 AM

Ok, I'll abandon all common sense and I'll say this is the 14th best class in the country. Funny how last year when OM had a top 10 class this time of the year bc of sheer numbers we were smart enough to realize it wasn't real. This year though...

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Ok, I'll abandon all common sense and I'll say this is the 14th best class in the country. Funny how last year when OM had a top 10 class this time of the year bc of sheer numbers we were smart enough to realize it wasn't real. This year though...

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

msstate7
06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Does that mean you agree with me? Haha

Our current ranking should actually be better than it is bc ducking isn't rated. It will probably hurt our avg per recruit though

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 12:46 PM
Does that mean you agree with me? Haha

Our current ranking should actually be better than it is bc ducking isn't rated. It will probably hurt our avg per recruit though

If there is 1 thing that fandom does, it is that it makes you consistently inconsistent.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 12:48 PM
If there is 1 thing that fandom does, it is that it makes you consistently inconsistent.

I agree, and it isn't just me

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2019, 01:34 PM
I agree, and it isn't just me

I was meaning the broader "you", not "you" specifically. Probably should have said "makes fans"

timotheus
06-24-2019, 05:33 PM

Ole Miss doesn't recruit based on need. They go for the splash, hence the reason they blown up classes of recent years really did blow up in a bad way for them.

chef dixon
06-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Wasn't the Ashford kid supposed to be an Auburn lock? Headed to the sharks

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2019, 06:55 PM

Auburn passed a couple months back.

timotheus
06-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Wasn't there an issue with him? I seem to have forgotten.

MetEdDawg
06-24-2019, 09:04 PM

He wants to be dual sport. He's a dang athlete and can go get it in the OF. And having to call pitches against him was no fun.

But I don't see legit football programs letting their QB play baseball long term. That's why I think OM is the best choice for him.

HoopsDawg
06-24-2019, 09:16 PM
He wants to be dual sport. He's a dang athlete and can go get it in the OF. And having to call pitches against him was no fun.

But I don't see legit football programs letting their QB play baseball long term. That's why I think OM is the best choice for him.

He and Ealy could be a heck of an outfield duo at Ole Miss.

MetEdDawg
06-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Double post

MetEdDawg
06-24-2019, 10:00 PM

Maybe so. But I have to wonder how long both of them play both sports. Hell OM may not care and may let them do it long term. Great publicity for them and that's all them care about.

But universities with a solid commitment to football don't have their highly rated kids playing baseball at the collegiate level for multiple years unless they are damn good at both.

KOdawg1
06-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Maybe so. But I have to wonder how long both of them play both sports. Hell OM may not care and may let them do it long term. Great publicity for them and that's all them care about.

Yep. It's a headline, and they're all about those.

Bothrops
06-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Some are worried about lack of star power in June, but I'm more worried about keeping the class together once more accurate rankings are done. MSU is always the go-to hardware store for the late round needs of the West. It's gonna get ugly when the same thing happens to us this time that happened last time. How's that for negadowner shit..

Irondawg
06-24-2019, 11:38 PM
We just have to get the commit to sign in December

fader2103
06-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Yep...Oklahoma isn't legit at all...

MetEdDawg
06-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Yep...Oklahoma isn't legit at all...

I edited my post later to include the statement "unless the player is damned good at both". Which Kyler Murray was.

He's the only one I can think of that's been good enough to play both at a high level for multiple years over the last decade.

Uncle Ruckus
06-25-2019, 08:35 AM
I edited my post later to include the statement "unless the player is damned good at both". Which Kyler Murray was.

He's the only one I can think of that's been good enough to play both at a high level for multiple years over the last decade.
LSU had two starting football players on their last baseball national championship. May not be a coincidence it was their last NC. If you have elite athletes you let them play.

MetEdDawg
06-25-2019, 08:44 AM
LSU had two starting football players on their last baseball national championship. May not be a coincidence it was their last NC. If you have elite athletes you let them play.

Their last championship was in 2009. I think it's safe to say the landscape has changed significantly over the last decade, which is why I used that.

The evolution of the ratings systems for recruits and the money now in college football compared to a decade ago is insane.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2019, 03:35 PM
IYOK or anyone else who might know, whats our deal on Jimmy Holiday from MC? He shows a State offer and he's claimed it. He's a good athlete and tough likable kid

Ifyouonlyknew
06-25-2019, 04:50 PM
IYOK or anyone else who might know, whats our deal on Jimmy Holiday from MC? He shows a State offer and he's claimed it. He's a good athlete and tough likable kid

We offered but neither side really pushed towards each other. I expect he'll commit to OM as a DB.

Ari Gold
06-25-2019, 05:53 PM
We offered but neither side really pushed towards each other. I expect he'll commit to OM as a DB.

I bet he ends up somewhere outside the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Neither one will hit enough

Goldendawg
06-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I must have misread this thread name. Didn't know it was the UM baseball/football dual sport athlete recruiting site.***** Hail State!

Lord McBuckethead
06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Any OL prospects coming up?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Any OL prospects coming up?

Only have 1 spot left. Xavier Hill, Marcus Henderson, Jalen St. John, Aaryn Parks, Josh Remetich, Eli Acker are the main targets right now.

Ari Gold
06-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Only have 1 spot left. Xavier Hill, Marcus Henderson, Jalen St. John, Aaryn Parks, Josh Remetich, Eli Acker are the main targets right now.

What a refreshing situation .. to have a full OL class in 2019 and one spot left with numerous options in 2020..

Irondawg
06-26-2019, 09:55 AM
I bet he ends up somewhere outside the SEC.

From what I've heard I feel the same way. Last information I had was that he was still searching for somewhere that would offer him as QB.

He's a good player and hope he ends up in the right situation

Leeshouldveflanked
06-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Yep, if they don?t sign in December, you have to consider them as ?Uncommitted?

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2019, 11:45 AM
What a refreshing situation .. to have a full OL class in 2019 and one spot left with numerous options in 2020..

You mean I don't have to worry about the 2021 OL anymore like some on here were doing a year ago? That's disappointing.***

ejdallas322
06-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Please go after Jeremiah Holloman, Joe Moorhead

Ifyouonlyknew
06-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Did you see why he was dismissed? It's going to be very hard for any P5 school to sign him IMO.

jacksondawg
06-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Wasn’t he just dismissed from the team for assault?

ZedFedder
06-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Yeah, he’s a big no.

StateDawg44
06-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Neither one will hit enough

Like how Ealy will never play a snap of football for OM???

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Like how Ealy will never play a snap of football for OM???

Turned out the kid couldn't hit.

NCDawg
06-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Amazing how many people could be so wrong about this kid.

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Amazing how many people could be so wrong about this kid.

He's an elite athlete who showed baseball ability last Summer. Once everyone got enough at-bats with him to see if he could hit, it turns out he couldn't hit.

Evaluating a player's hit tool is difficult until you see them enough.

Ari Gold
06-26-2019, 05:52 PM
I believe Montra Edwards is at the school where Coach34 now coaches. Is that correct?

Is E. Jai Mason the wideout that was at Jackson Academy? Maybe he transferred to Clinton?

C34. He has moved on. No longer at Holmes County.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 06:08 PM
E Jai was at JA then went to Clinton I believe

Cooterpoot
06-26-2019, 06:45 PM

He lost focus. Started getting into hype of the all star scene etc. He was still going high in the draft before he chose to go a different route. Lots went on with him.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2019, 06:59 PM
He lost focus. Started getting into hype of the all star scene etc. He was still going high in the draft before he chose to go a different route. Lots went on with him.

Yep. You're dead on right.

Homedawg
06-26-2019, 07:06 PM

He probably would have. Scouts/counting directors that draft players like him high are ones that look for jobs sooner rather than later.

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2019, 08:09 PM

I agree. He's not a good hitter, but would've got a million dollars had he chosen baseball.

Hambone
06-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Good God, start a new damn thread about previous commits and previous players. This is getting ridiculous.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:27 PM

Good to see Hevesy pick it up finally....oh.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:29 PM
He's an elite athlete who showed baseball ability last Summer. Once everyone got enough at-bats with him to see if he could hit, it turns out he couldn't hit.

Evaluating a player's hit tool is difficult until you see them enough.

I just got the impression that he's a guy whose best sport is football but is from a baseball family.

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2019, 11:13 AM

He could have been in our 1-6 hole in the CWS then.... too soon.

MetEdDawg
06-27-2019, 12:19 PM
He could have been in our 1-6 hole in the CWS then.... too soon.

Way too soon. Vandy hit .226 in Omaha. Lowest ever for a champion since aluminum bats have been used.

Cowbell
06-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Good to see Hevesy pick it up finally....oh.

Rep given

Lance Harbor
06-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Lower than UCLA in 13?

Way too soon. Vandy hit .226 in Omaha. Lowest ever for a champion since aluminum bats have been used.

MetEdDawg
06-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Lower than UCLA in 13?

Yep. Lowest since aluminum bats were introduced in 1974.

BankerDog
06-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Let?s just continue to turn the recruiting thread into an Ole Miss recruiting/ CWS thread. Excellent idea.

Bothrops
06-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Are we getting another linebacker? Who could it be? What about WR...chances of getting Heath?

Ari Gold
06-27-2019, 08:48 PM
Are we getting another linebacker? Who could it be? What about WR...chances of getting Heath?

90%.. just have to be a little patient
2 big fish in the juco market we are going to land .. Heath and Jordan Davis.. just be patient ..

sscjr1
06-27-2019, 09:55 PM
2 big fish in the juco market we are going to land .. Heath and Jordan Davis.. just be patient ..
Sweet

Bothrops
06-27-2019, 11:23 PM

This is what I like about this thread.

ejdallas322
06-28-2019, 12:27 AM
So I have been hearing from a thread on 247 that Joe Mo and Rakim Jarrett have been in contact and that they had set up times for him to visit and come to camps. Keep your eyes on this one, he has a deep love for this program despite his commitment to LSU. And also be expecting big-time commitments sometime soon, no joke.

Cooterpoot
06-28-2019, 05:50 AM
I don’t think we get Jarrett. He may visit, but he’s probably going to TN.

msstate7
06-28-2019, 05:54 AM

Both of those would be good gets, no doubt. If we take them and keep current jucos, that would be 9 jucos. That seems like a lot for one class. There's no doubt I take the 2 you just mentioned, but I'd probably cut a couple currents if that happens.

msu15
06-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Both of those would be good gets, no doubt. If we take them and keep current jucos, that would be 9 jucos. That seems like a lot for one class. There's no doubt I take the 2 you just mentioned, but I'd probably cut a couple currents if that happens.

Who you cutting?

msstate7
06-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Who you cutting?

I don't know. I just think that's too many jucos in 1 year unless you plan on RSing some. Joe hasn't called for my opinion though haha

I do like going after jucos, and I'd like 4-5 every class if that many good ones are available. I just think 8-10 is excessive

MetEdDawg
06-28-2019, 07:41 AM
I don't know. I just think that's too many jucos in 1 year unless you plan on RSing some. Joe hasn't called for my opinion though haha

I do like going after jucos, and I'd like 4-5 every class if that many good ones are available. I just think 8-10 is excessive

To me this highlights some of the depth holes that JoMo inherited.

I think we are all in agreement that this year especially, but next year as well we have a severe lack of quality depth. If we want to compete in the SEC we are going to have to have quality depth and one of the quickest ways to fill holes is through JUCO, especially early in your career.

JoMo has shown he's not afraid to get some JUCO, get some transfers, and try to make it work. I'm cool with that. I think those numbers will eventually go down until he's got his guys and his system. But for now he's gonna have to comb some JUCOs to fill holes. Dan wouldn't do that and it showed when every year there were 1-2 positions far inferior to the others. JoMo is trying to avoid that and I applaud his efforts.

msstate7
06-28-2019, 07:53 AM
To me this highlights some of the depth holes that JoMo inherited.

I think we are all in agreement that this year especially, but next year as well we have a severe lack of quality depth. If we want to compete in the SEC we are going to have to have quality depth and one of the quickest ways to fill holes is through JUCO, especially early in your career.

JoMo has shown he's not afraid to get some JUCO, get some transfers, and try to make it work. I'm cool with that. I think those numbers will eventually go down until he's got his guys and his system. But for now he's gonna have to comb some JUCOs to fill holes. Dan wouldn't do that and it showed when every year there were 1-2 positions far inferior to the others. JoMo is trying to avoid that and I applaud his efforts.

I just looked at the roster, and we have 10 players listed as sophomores. I guess all the jucos are to help fill out that sophomore level.

Irondawg
06-28-2019, 08:06 AM
You'll almost certainly see 1-2 of the JUCOs redshirt for some reason or another. I do agree we are taking a lot but they mostly all appear to be guys who could easily be contributors.

BrunswickDawg
06-28-2019, 08:30 AM
I just looked at the roster, and we have 10 players listed as sophomores. I guess all the jucos are to help fill out that sophomore level.

Yeah, the 2017 class created some holes to fill. They are either Juniors or RS-Soph. Out of 25 signees we had 9 JUCOs, had 4 not make it to campus, and 4 guys who didn't red shirt. That means only 8 from that class are Sophomores (I think 2 of your 10 are true sophomores). That's a low number.

Ari Gold
06-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Odds are Patterson won’t be in the class, and wouldn’t be shocked if Anderson- Butts isn’t either. Also I really hope we can hang on to Benjamin Key..
Also I could see Ducking getting RS

And if you look at the juco class in 2017 we took 9 jucos , Pope transferred out . That turned out pretty good...

MetEdDawg
06-28-2019, 08:45 AM

Yep. That class was extremely light on quality and numbers. Top 5 in that class are great. But after that, Sweat is the only other guy that stands out. Landrews and Cole have their shot to stand out, but the rest of that class is pretty bad.

As a side note, here's some fun comparison. The 2017 and the 2019 class both finished 24th overall. Here are some comparisons:

Average star rating - .8611
SEC Rank - 9th
Committed - 25
Enrollees - 21

Average star ranking - .8864
SEC Rank - 11th
Committed - 21
Enrollees - 20 (Last one should be in bun august)

So if you compare that class Moorhead brought in, we are going to bring in as many as Mullen did in 2017. But the average star ranking is 2.5 point higher. But that was good for 2 spots lower in conference. Just some interesting comparisons.

msstate7
06-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Yep. That class was extremely light on quality and numbers. Top 5 in that class are great. But after that, Sweat is the only other guy that stands out. Landrews and Cole have their shot to stand out, but the rest of that class is pretty bad.

As a side note, here's some fun comparison. The 2017 and the 2019 class both finished 24th overall. Here are some comparisons:

SEC Rank - 9th
Committed - 25
Enrollees - 21

SEC Rank - 11th
Committed - 21

So if you compare that class Moorhead brought in, we are going to bring in as many as Mullen did in 2017. But the average star ranking is 2.5 point higher. But that was good for 2 spots lower in conference. Just some interesting comparisons.

I will be thrilled if 2019 turns out as well as 2017. 2017 already has 2 1st rounders in nfl draft with gay, hill, rivers, and Cole likely to be drafted. 6 NFL players with 2 being elite is one heck of a class

Ari Gold
06-28-2019, 09:12 AM

SEC Rank - 9th
Committed - 25
Enrollees - 21

SEC Rank - 11th
Committed - 21

Sweat, Abram, Cole, landrews, Rivers... all of these are big time pickups
Phillips will prob start this year at RT and Champion is a key back up
Had to edit post... forgot about Autry who will play a big role this year

This juco class may not be as good as that one , but I will be surprised if it’s not far off.

I’m all for getting as many high school kids as possible , but there is no way we can pass up on sec caliber and possible nfl talent from the juco ranks ...

msu15
06-28-2019, 09:19 AM

This juco class may not be as good as that one , but I will be surprised if it’s not far off.

I’m all for getting as many high school kids as possible , but there is no way we can pass up on sec caliber and possible nfl talent from the juco ranks ...

Agreed

MetEdDawg
06-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Had to edit post... forgot about Autry who will play a big role this year

Completely agree. Sweat was an absolute game changer. If you can sign anyone even remotely close to his talent level out of JUCO, you do it.

I just want more class depth and production. That class is gonna have about 9-10 guys make a legit contribution. To me that's just not enough. Like I said, the Top 5 in that class are massive talents. Outside of that, Sweat is really the only one that's done anything meaningful on the field. Landrews and Cole a little. But after that, really nothing. We need the 2019 class to have about 13-15 guys make big time contributions.

Ari Gold
06-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Completely agree. Sweat was an absolute game changer. If you can sign anyone even remotely close to his talent level out of JUCO, you do it.

I just want more class depth and production. That class is gonna have about 9-10 guys make a legit contribution. To me that's just not enough. Like I said, the Top 5 in that class are massive talents. Outside of that, Sweat is really the only one that's done anything meaningful on the field. Landrews and Cole a little. But after that, really nothing. We need the 2019 class to have about 13-15 guys make big time contributions.

I have a feeling you are going to be pleasantly surprised with the production of Rivers , Cole , Landrews and Phillips this year .. esp Rivers and Cole ...

MetEdDawg
06-28-2019, 05:44 PM
I have a feeling you are going to be pleasantly surprised with the production of Rivers , Cole , Landrews and Phillips this year .. esp Rivers and Cole ...

Well Rivers was in that group of Top 5 in that 2017 class. And I love Cole and Landrews. I think they will both make huge impacts this year. My point is that right there is only 8 guys from this class making an impact if you include the Top 5 from 2017, Cole, Landrews, and Sweat.

We have to have more than 8 guys make a decent impact on our team from a recruiting class. Phillips would be huge for us if he comes through. But you look at names like Dunning, Austin and Tyler Williams, Suggs, Powers Warren, Odom, Pope, Champion, and Jackson that have basically done nothing for us and that's what is killing that class and our ability to compete at a high level. My hope is going forward we can continue to get those top of the line guys like Hill and Gay, but that the middle and bottom of our class make more of an impact.

timotheus
06-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Odom's older brother never materialized into anything. He signed with Saban a LSU and I don't think he ever played a down. I hold out hope for the younger Odom still though.

Bothrops
06-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Odom was an outstanding HS player. I would have signed him. As for the OL from that class, they really haven't had enough time to contribute. It generally takes longer for those guys, unless they are elite.

Dan had an unbalanced roster at times. He ignored DL recruiting a couple of cycles earlier in his tenure and we paid for it. I also remember when he had all slot receivers for our receiving corp.

Bothrops
06-28-2019, 09:03 PM
I don?t think we get Jarrett. He may visit, but he?s probably going to TN.

How in the hell did they get in the game with him?

Ari Gold
06-29-2019, 07:15 AM
Well Rivers was in that group of Top 5 in that 2017 class. And I love Cole and Landrews. I think they will both make huge impacts this year. My point is that right there is only 8 guys from this class making an impact if you include the Top 5 from 2017, Cole, Landrews, and Sweat.

We have to have more than 8 guys make a decent impact on our team from a recruiting class. Phillips would be huge for us if he comes through. But you look at names like Dunning, Austin and Tyler Williams, Suggs, Powers Warren, Odom, Pope, Champion, and Jackson that have basically done nothing for us and that's what is killing that class and our ability to compete at a high level. My hope is going forward we can continue to get those top of the line guys like Hill and Gay, but that the middle and bottom of our class make more of an impact.

Williams, Suggs, Odom, Jackson And Williams still have time to make an impact.

Jarius
06-29-2019, 08:39 AM

No kidding. Writing off kids that just finished their redshirt freshman year is insane.

MetEdDawg
06-29-2019, 12:27 PM
No kidding. Writing off kids that just finished their redshirt freshman year is insane.

Haven't written them off. But how much of an impact will those guys make this year? The answer is very similar to last year. Close to zero. So they will go through their RS sophomore year with little to no impact. Other than QB, if you are worth your salt, you usually find the field and make some impact by year 3 unless you are just stuck behind a bunch of really really good guys. But even then, you can usually find the 2 deep.

I don't see that happening from anyone in this group honestly. That's concerning.

Hambone
06-29-2019, 12:57 PM
There hasn’t been one single game played yet. How are you so certain none of these players are going to contribute?

Lord McBuckethead
06-29-2019, 01:34 PM

2 year starter, all SEC, all American, 1st rounder.......i agree.

MetEdDawg
06-29-2019, 01:57 PM
There hasn?t been one single game played yet. How are you so certain none of these players are going to contribute?

Why don't you give me your projected 2 deep and tell me how many of those names are on there. Sure there could be surprises, but outside of Austin Williams, the majority of those guys won't see much playing time unless one or more people get hurt.

That's just how that's going to work if you look at what we are returning and what we brought in in 2018 and 2019.

Ari Gold
06-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Why don't you give me your projected 2 deep and tell me how many of those names are on there. Sure there could be surprises, but outside of Austin Williams, the majority of those guys won't see much playing time unless one or more people get hurt.

That's just how that's going to work if you look at what we are returning and what we brought in in 2018 and 2019.

That tells me we have some really good guys in front of these players.
So that’s a good thing

And on a side note.. Tyler Williams is going to be a really good player

Jarius
06-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Haven't written them off. But how much of an impact will those guys make this year? The answer is very similar to last year. Close to zero. So they will go through their RS sophomore year with little to no impact. Other than QB, if you are worth your salt, you usually find the field and make some impact by year 3 unless you are just stuck behind a bunch of really really good guys. But even then, you can usually find the 2 deep.

I don't see that happening from anyone in this group honestly. That's concerning.

Well Austin Williams played a good bit last year and will play this year as well. Powers Warren was one of about 12 tight ends Dan mullen signed. That’s Mullen’s fault. Odom has been sitting behind the best collection of Dline talent in college football and will still be sitting behind some of the best collection of defensive ends in football this year. Suggs is also on one of the best units on our team. We have 5 star offensive linemen sitting on the bench for this squad. I am not sure what you want out of a recruiting class but the 2017 one is probably one of our best ever outside of the 2011 one and our 2015 one.

Todd4State
06-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Odom was an outstanding HS player. I would have signed him. As for the OL from that class, they really haven't had enough time to contribute. It generally takes longer for those guys, unless they are elite.

Dan had an unbalanced roster at times. He ignored DL recruiting a couple of cycles earlier in his tenure and we paid for it. I also remember when he had all slot receivers for our receiving corp.

Odom had really impressive stats for a high school player. I bet if someone evaluated him with football analytics he would have rated a four star. And as far as Dan and his unbalanced rosters- to me that was one of his greatest sins as a recruiter. I guess he was so arrogant that he thought he could just plug and play anyone into his system and it would be awesome. Joe has improved that a lot thus far.

Absolutely. It's impossible to project 2020 at this point. I remember this time last year people were concerned about the safety position and now that we have seen guys like Landrews, Cole, and CJ Morgan step up during last season it's not a concern as much anymore.

chef dixon
07-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Seems like The Network is back in business up the road, they have been racking in some commits recently

Homedawg
07-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Seems like The Network is back in business up the road, they have been racking in some commits recently

1- it never went out of business. They just had bad PR to fight thru.
2- meh, while they are getting some good players, this isn't some super special class. The guy who they got who was previously committed to bama wasn't going to have a spot in t town. The qb went to the best school he could. Options weren't that many.

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 06:19 PM
1- it never went out of business. They just had bad PR to fight thru.
2- meh, while they are getting some good players, this isn't some super special class. The guy who they got who was previously committed to bama wasn't going to have a spot in t town. The qb went to the best school he could. Options weren't that many.

The ONLY way the network up the road will go out of business is if the OM football program goes out of business.

msu15
07-03-2019, 07:07 PM
None that I’d want

Todd4State
07-03-2019, 11:25 PM
The Network never went out of business but at the same time they won't have a class like 2013 ever again either.