PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

BigDawg81
05-26-2023, 01:20 PM
With the help from all of the posters, I?m going to try my best to keep you informed with the transfer portal.
UCLA RHP
Kelly Austin
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1662122528540704770

Leeshouldveflanked
05-26-2023, 01:56 PM
LSU already on top of it. We still looking for a pitching coach.

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2023, 03:26 PM
Walmart could make a super regional. May not have a PC announced until some time, if the Pokes make Omaha. That would throw away all the advantages of being last place to recruit while better teams play games.

BigDawg81
05-26-2023, 06:06 PM
Sacramento State
Wehiwa Aloy
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1662187692510068757

KOdawg1
05-26-2023, 06:26 PM
Let's tamper and bring this guy home

https://gostanford.com/sports/baseball/roster/braden-montgomery/19838

mparkerfd20
05-26-2023, 06:53 PM

Genespage premium article alluded to him desiring coming home allegedly.

BigDawg81
05-26-2023, 07:00 PM
LSU already on top of it. We still looking for a pitching coach.

RHP DJ Burke

https://twitter.com/ZachAtTheDisch/status/1662185103567536146

KOdawg1
05-26-2023, 07:18 PM
Genespage premium article alluded to him desiring coming home allegedly.

Yeah, it'd be huge.

You basically plug him where Ledbetter was, and you wouldn't miss a beat.

1) Mershon 2B (S)
2) Montgomery RF (S)
3) Hines 1B (L)
4) Dakota CF (R)

would be one of, if not the, strongest top of the lineup in the country

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2023, 07:33 PM

This dude hits some monster HRs. Seems I have only seen him bat LH, but he's a switch hitter. Very elite player.

KOdawg1
05-26-2023, 07:44 PM
This dude hits some monster HRs. Seems I have only seen him bat LH, but he's a switch hitter. Very elite player.

I like his walk numbers this year. Basically has a 1:1 K to BB ratio which is fantastic.

Saltydog
05-26-2023, 08:48 PM
He would fit right in. . . . .

CaptainObvious
05-26-2023, 09:29 PM
Lodise (SS) from North Florida

confucius say
05-26-2023, 10:11 PM

This is the P5 guy I hinted at 7-10 days ago on here.

Todd4State
05-26-2023, 11:34 PM
This is the P5 guy I hinted at 7-10 days ago on here.

Has a few high school teammates on the team as well. Was considered the best prospect on a team with Hunter Hines and Ross Highfill.

The Federalist Engineer
05-27-2023, 03:17 AM
Has a few high school teammates on the team as well. Was considered the best prospect on a team with Hunter Hines and Ross Highfill.

Ole Miss has zero Madison Central players in the roster. But do have MRA and St Andrew's players.

SpaceBully
05-27-2023, 05:25 AM
I might consider playing Cjinte in the field. Everyone says he swings a heavy bat and plays good defense. The coaches ought to at least sit down with him and discuss some options.

TNDawg35
05-27-2023, 06:54 AM
I might consider playing Cjinte in the field. Everyone says he swings a heavy bat and plays good defense. The coaches ought to at least sit down with him and discuss some options.

Apparently that’s why he came to school. He was drafted as a SS and he wanted to pitch. May be a good idea to look at him at SS and then let him close. The way he throws, he would Be a dominate closer in my opinion.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-27-2023, 07:43 AM

Strong disagree. The pitching staff is far and away our biggest weakness and we need so many new arms as ot is we can't afford to loose Loo too.

He came here to pitch. He's got a high ceiling. He's had no coaching in college. Let him work with the new PC and see where he goes

confucius say
05-27-2023, 08:25 AM
Strong disagree. The pitching staff is far and away our biggest weakness and we need so many new arms as ot is we can't afford to loose Loo too.

He came here to pitch. He's got a high ceiling. He's had no coaching in college. Let him work with the new PC and see where he goes

I also think he needs to be primarily a RHP. He has electric stuff as a righty, average as a lefty.

confucius say
05-27-2023, 08:26 AM

It was mentioned in Madison last year that he regretted not getting in the portal then.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-27-2023, 02:58 PM
Loved this take by Kendall Rogers:

"This kind of underscores one massive negative to the Transfer Portal. The Sac State coaching staff evaluates a player, brings him in, he has a great freshman year, and then bam, he's gone. These kind of moves are also unintended consequences of NIL."

This was about the kid from Sac State. This is the type of thing we can take advantage of in baseball, where as in football some of the time we will be the Sac State in that scenario, but for baseball we should be on the benefitting with these kids who leave after a good year. If you want a kid, go get him.

CaptainObvious
05-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Loved this take by Kendall Rogers:

"This kind of underscores one massive negative to the Transfer Portal. The Sac State coaching staff evaluates a player, brings him in, he has a great freshman year, and then bam, he's gone. These kind of moves are also unintended consequences of NIL."

This was about the kid from Sac State. This is the type of thing we can take advantage of in baseball, where as in football some of the time we will be the Sac State in that scenario, but for baseball we should be on the benefitting with these kids who leave after a good year. If you want a kid, go get him.

Well wait now. We are being told here that a coach of a G5 school will struggle against SEC talent. So wouldn?t a player from a G5 school also struggle against SEC talent? Like a Yeager or Ledbetter?

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-27-2023, 03:08 PM
Well wait now. We are being told here that a coach of a G5 school will struggle against SEC talent. So wouldn?t a player from a G5 school also struggle against SEC talent? Like a Yeager or Ledbetter?

I don't really dive into the nonsense that some people here post. There's some real loose cannons around here... I'm not even sure what you're referring to.

CaptainObvious
05-27-2023, 06:52 PM
I don't really dive into the nonsense that some people here post. There's some real loose cannons around here... I'm not even sure what you're referring to.

I was agreeing with you that this Sac State guy is an example of who we need to target. I was trying to get ahead of people on here saying <well he played against sucky talent, not SEC talent because or where he played>. Sorry about not identifying my comment to your post as sarcasm towards those who don?t think we can get good transfers from smaller schools. Like when we got Yeager a couple years ago and Ledbetter last year from smaller schools.

Coach34
05-27-2023, 08:13 PM

Loo is not going to play a position in college. He chose to go the pitching route and will do so until he gets drafted next June

Pancho
05-28-2023, 07:18 AM
But he is the best SS currently on the team?

Cowbell
05-28-2023, 09:43 AM
But he is the best SS currently on the team?
SS isn't the reason we aren't still playing.....

BigDawg81
05-28-2023, 12:16 PM
Nate Lamb commits to State https://twitter.com/njlambo__/status/1662835060678983680

ZedFedder
05-29-2023, 10:08 AM
Perhaps a good comparison would be to look at Xavier Rivas at Ole Miss this year. He had a 2.80 ERA at the University of Indianapolis as a sophomore. They are D2 I believe. This year for Ole Miss he had a 6.75 ERA.

msstate7
05-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Perhaps a good comparison would be to look at Xavier Rivas at Ole Miss this year. He had a 2.80 ERA at the University of Indianapolis as a sophomore. They are D2 I believe. This year for Ole Miss he had a 6.75 ERA.

It's almost like there's a difference in talent. What was our record vs non-sec teams?

BigDawg81
05-30-2023, 09:12 AM
UNCG OF Kennedy Jones
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1663547807444406273

Saltydog
05-30-2023, 10:37 AM
With the help from all of the posters, I?m going to try my best to keep you informed with the transfer portal.
UCLA RHP
Kelly Austin

Here's a guy form Missouri State. Pretty good f/b but I checked his stats from Missouri State this past year and he walked 7 and gave up 4 hits in 2.1 innings. he'd fit right in. I mean, we're losing Stinnett so here's his replacement.

https://twitter.com/Ryanlam25726799

confucius say
05-30-2023, 10:38 AM
Portal opens today, so the names will start trickling in. More of course as more teams end their season.

BigDawg81
05-30-2023, 10:57 AM
Wofford RHP Matthew Marchal
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1663566165933948929

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-30-2023, 12:51 PM
Lane Forsythe, Bryce Hubbard and Graham Yntema entered the portal.

Coach34
05-30-2023, 12:55 PM
Lane Forsythe, Bryce Hubbard and Graham Yntema entered the portal.

Trimming fat quick. I like it

99jc
05-30-2023, 01:32 PM
Trimming fat quick. I like it

Foreskin should have been Circumcised off the team a long time ago.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-30-2023, 01:47 PM
Wichita State infielder Brock Rodden entered the portal.

.371/17 HR/64 RBIs this year. Expected to sign after draft.

BigDawg81
05-30-2023, 01:52 PM
RHP Jace Miner
https://twitter.com/jace_miner/status/1663197720532713481
Definitely worth looking at

ZedFedder
05-30-2023, 02:51 PM
There is going to be more than enough solid players in the portal. We just have to get the right PC and land some of these guys. I think with the urgency that is required for next season, we get a few impact guys.

Leroy Jenkins
05-30-2023, 04:09 PM
There is going to be more than enough solid players in the portal. We just have to get the right PC and land some of these guys. I think with the urgency that is required for next season, we get a few impact guys.

Absolutely.

Ray Charles blindfolded in Stevie Wonder's basement can see the opportunity for playing time we have here. And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest. We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).

LibraryDawg
05-30-2023, 04:26 PM
Absolutely.

Ray Charles blindfolded in Stevie Wonder's basement can see the opportunity for playing time we have here. And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest. We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).

Which makes getting the RIGHT PC in place with boots on the ground ASAP all the more important.

CaptainObvious
05-30-2023, 05:30 PM
Which makes getting the RIGHT PC in place with boots on the ground ASAP all the more important.

Oxymoron. RIGHT PC/ASAP

you hope the best PC that will come to State has a Pitching Staff that is pitching in the last week of the season or at worse coaches for one of the last 16 teams.

Coach34
05-30-2023, 05:42 PM
We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).

We cant bring in a guy like Holcombe- a very talented project. We need a couple of guys that can pitch.

ZedFedder
05-30-2023, 06:27 PM
We cant bring in a guy like Holcombe- a very talented project. We need a couple of guys that can pitch.

I agree. Although Holcombe can become dominant with the right coach.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-30-2023, 06:41 PM
I agree. Although Holcombe can become dominant with the right coach.

For sure he can. He's got the skills, just needs somebody to help him reign it in.

(Also, these pop ups are mildly infuriating)

Cowbell
05-30-2023, 07:33 PM
Hopefully most of the guys we pull through the portal are still playing atleast through this weekend.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2023, 07:41 PM
(Also, these pop ups are mildly infuriating)

They are, but in fairness the board has to make money somehow and I sure don't want to pay to be here. As long as the ad money doesn't go to advertising ED... the last thing we want is an influx of casual fans that don't know how the board works or follow the programs. I may argue with C34 or Todd but at the end of the day sometimes they're right, sometimes I'm right, usually im quiet and just learn from people who know more. Most importantly, the conversation always stays on topic. What else can you want from a board?

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-30-2023, 08:43 PM
They are, but in fairness the board has to make money somehow and I sure don't want to pay to be here. As long as the ad money doesn't go to advertising ED... the last thing we want is an influx of casual fans that don't know how the board works or follow the programs. I may argue with C34 or Todd but at the end of the day sometimes they're right, sometimes I'm right, usually im quiet and just learn from people who know more. Most importantly, the conversation always stays on topic. What else can you want from a board?

Zero issues at all for the board making money, I just felt like they (the pop ups) hit a massive uptick overnight. I hope at least they generate a good bit, ha.

ShotgunDawg
05-31-2023, 06:50 AM

You have to balance it out. Projects need to have huge ceilings like Holcombe but the staff has to have a mix of pitchability guys to balance out the risk

Leeshouldveflanked
05-31-2023, 07:13 AM
And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest.

DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. Its all about NIL and playing time.

basedog
05-31-2023, 07:36 AM
You have to balance it out. Projects need to have huge ceilings like Holcombe but the staff has to have a mix of pitchability guys to balance out the risk

Projects going into next year aren't what Lemonis needs, if so he will be gone most likely.

Cowbell
05-31-2023, 08:58 AM
Projects going into next year aren't what Lemonis needs, if so he will be gone most likely.

This

sandjunky
05-31-2023, 09:58 AM
DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. It?s all about NIL and playing time.

Exactly - the atmosphere while fantastically awesome on big weekends and players dig it means very little to those driven to make the next level

1. Do their players get drafted? How high?
2. Playing time opportunities early?
3. Are players getting better over time? (See 1)
Regardless of what people think-development can and should continue to happen during the season- it?s on the coaches to provide the tools necessary and on the player to take advantage
It?s gotta be part of the culture
4. Do they have my major
5. NIL
6-9 fill in
10. Stadium atmosphere and fans

BorneDawg
05-31-2023, 10:14 AM
Exactly - the atmosphere while fantastically awesome on big weekends and players dig it means very little to those driven to make the next level

1. Do their players get drafted? How high?
2. Playing time opportunities early?
3. Are players getting better over time? (See 1)
Regardless of what people think-development can and should continue to happen during the season- it?s on the coaches to provide the tools necessary and on the player to take advantage
It?s gotta be part of the culture
4. Do they have my major
5. NIL
6-9 fill in
10. Stadium atmosphere and fans

4. Do they have my major........

I think this gets overlooked a lot! I know that sports (wether its baseball, basketball, softball, football, ect...) is a draw to go somewhere and possibly get school paid for but if a college does not have a major close to what you want to do after college then it can be a deal breaker. My daughter just graduated high school and had offers from 6-8 schools some low D1, D2, D3 , MIAS, and Juco offers to play basketball. She will end up going the Juco route though because some of the (higher level) schools didn't have her field of study and money was also an issue. The basketball side would have been a lot better at some of the higher level schools but it would be crazy to go to school for 4 years and get a degree that you don't want or could use to use in a career field that you want to do for the rest of your life.........

Leroy Jenkins
05-31-2023, 10:29 AM
DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. Its all about NIL and playing time.

I thought that was universally understood and didn't need to be said, but yeah. You are wasting time shopping in the portal if you didn't have playing time to offer, and enough NIL for the bigger fish. Several current and former players have said they wanted to come here for the atmosphere. That helps a lot when you are competing fairly equally for recruits in other areas.

Coach34
05-31-2023, 10:31 AM

Bingo. We have been a little project heavy and just havent done the job of getting them where they need to be. I love Holcombe and feel like the right PC can get him where he needs to be by Feb

Tbonewannabe
05-31-2023, 10:59 AM
Bingo. We have been a little project heavy and just havent done the job of getting them where they need to be. I love Holcombe and feel like the right PC can get him where he needs to be by Feb

We desperately need some inning eaters also. Strike out guys are a necessity but it also leaves you short handed. Ethan Small was dominate bit also never got past the 6th inning.

CaptainObvious
05-31-2023, 12:26 PM
It helps to have a pitcher who can get the swing and miss nowadays because you dont see a lot of guys standing there taking called third strikes. Unless, of course, they play for Lemonis and Geautreau. 😳

sandjunky
05-31-2023, 04:15 PM
Our roster should look like Wichitas right now - nearly all in portal

TNDawg35
05-31-2023, 07:01 PM
TJ McCants from OM just entered.

Coach34
05-31-2023, 07:04 PM
TJ McCants from OM just entered.

Cant hit. Better off sticking with Hugesak and his power

Homedawg
05-31-2023, 07:08 PM
It helps to have a pitcher who can get the swing and miss nowadays because you dont see a lot of guys standing there taking called third strikes. Unless, of course, they play for Lemonis and Geautreau. 😳

Considering we had the fewest k's in the league your gripe is a tad ridiculous. At least in this case

Homedawg
05-31-2023, 07:09 PM
Cant hit. Better off sticking with Hugesak and his power

Can't hit a lick.

Coach34
05-31-2023, 07:37 PM
Considering we had the fewest k's in the league your gripe is a tad ridiculous. At least in this case

I swear our fans dont watch other teams play

CaptainObvious
05-31-2023, 07:40 PM

So do you have the stats on how few were Backwards K?s?

Coach34
05-31-2023, 07:57 PM
So do you have the stats on how few were Backwards K?s?

It would be highly unlikely that we would be at or near the top on backwards K's when being one of the conference's toughest teams to K. Common sense is your friend.

Our biggest problem at the plate was leading the SEC in grounding into double plays to kill innings. We were top half and even top 1/3 in extra base hit categories- we hit for power. But DP's really hurt offensively

AlSwearengen
05-31-2023, 08:28 PM
Can't hit a lick.

I seem to remember McCants hitting pretty good his freshman season. Must have regressed.

CaptainObvious
05-31-2023, 08:41 PM
It would be highly unlikely that we would be at or near the top on backwards K's when being one of the conference's toughest teams to K. Common sense is your friend.

Our biggest problem at the plate was leading the SEC in grounding into double plays to kill innings. We were top half and even top 1/3 in extra base hit categories- we hit for power. But DP's really hurt offensively

In our 12 of our 21 SEC losses, the Dawgs struck out double digit times with the average being 12 plus times.

In 2 other losses the Dogs struck out 9 times. 2/3?s of our losses were with between 9 and 13 Ks , 13 Ks happening in 8 of those 14. As you say, short of getting the actual scorebooks, no way to no how many were backward Ks. But make no mistake, thr inability to put the ball in play with RISP played a factor in at least 12 of those losses. Situational hitting is still a necessary factor in success.

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2023, 08:49 PM

2nd in DPs to Arkansas, conference leader in ground outs

However, in general, middle of the pack in nearly all other numbers even 2-out hitting (272 Vs 269 average), 2 out RBI (132 Vs 140 average) and with RISP (298 Vs 297 average)

Really Clark?
05-31-2023, 08:51 PM
In our 12 of our 21 SEC losses, the Dawgs struck out double digit times with the average being 12 plus times.

In 2 other losses the Dogs struck out 9 times. 2/3?s of our losses were with between 9 and 13 Ks , 13 Ks happening in 8 of those 14. As you say, short of getting the actual scorebooks, no way to no how many were backward Ks. But make no mistake, thr inability to put the ball in play with RISP played a factor in at least 12 of those losses. Situational hitting is still a necessary factor in success.

In conference only games we struck out 253 times. That ranked 5th in the league. The top ranked team for least strikeouts had 230 K's. That was UM, Vandy was second with 247, LSU 3rd with 249, Kentucky 4th with 252 and us with 253. K's in conference only games was not our offensive issue. It was very poor avg with RISP and GDP.

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2023, 08:52 PM

How about in close games? If you are being crushed in a run-rule route maybe folks just start hacking?

sandjunky
05-31-2023, 09:49 PM
Stats could be skewed to look better because how many games were run ruled and we didn?t get additional ABs

TNDawg35
05-31-2023, 11:01 PM
How about in close games? If you are being crushed in a run-rule route maybe folks just start hacking?

Not allowed to have thought out comments on this board...***

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2023, 11:58 PM
Notre Dame Portal

A Grad Transfer LHP with Sub 3 ERA with 2:1 k to BB. With 49 Games and 120 innings of experience. Started a super regional! In Dudy Nobel! But got shelled by the National Champs.

And a Starting Catcher

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/notre-dame-baseball-has-multiple-players-enter-the-transfer-portal/

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2023, 12:07 AM
SoCon Star in Portal (RJ Yeager and Colton Ledbetter's prior league)

Kennedy Jones

https://uncgspartans.com/sports/baseball/roster/kennedy--jones/4655

Todd4State
06-01-2023, 12:13 AM
Can't hit a lick.

I swear our fans dont watch other teams play

He has mistake power. You make a mistake he may hit it out. But he's not going to beat you.

Homedawg
06-01-2023, 08:09 AM
I seem to remember McCants hitting pretty good his freshman season. Must have regressed.

In the 230's last two years. He's been figured out.

msstate7
06-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Stats could be skewed to look better because how many games were run ruled and we didn?t get additional ABs

K% should give you what you want. Maybe someone cares enough to figure that out; I don't

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 10:52 AM
K% should give you what you want. Maybe someone cares enough to figure that out; I don't

SEC only Ks divided by SEC only AB numbers would do it, but I also don't care enough to figure it out.

Why? Because Ks are a part of what actually matters- scoring runs. And we were #10 out of 14 the last 2 seasons. It's clear we don't have a good offense. Be it poor recruiting, Jake G being a mediocre hitting coach, Lemonis screwing them up, whatever- at the end of the day we aren't a good offense under Lemonis and we underperform our recruiting rankings. That's what matters, K alone is irrelevant in the face if that

SpaceWranglerDawg
06-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Von Seibert has entered the portal.

Saltydog
06-01-2023, 12:30 PM

He's going to be a beer league softball legend one of these days. . . . .

StarkVegasSteve
06-01-2023, 12:39 PM

I still wonder why he stuck around for another year. I was genuinely blown away he did not transfer last off-season.

ZedFedder
06-01-2023, 12:53 PM
I still wonder why he stuck around for another year. I was genuinely blown away he did not transfer last off-season.

My thoughts as well. I could be totally wrong, but I?m hoping the urgency of this upcoming season makes Lemonis really get some pieces out of the portal.

CaptainObvious
06-01-2023, 02:04 PM
My thoughts as well. I could be totally wrong, but I?m hoping the urgency of this upcoming season makes Lemonis really get some pieces out of the portal.

Why would he want to do that? He thinks he is doing a great job and his players need to just listen better. I suspect everybody will have a bucket to sit on next year. 🤣🤣🤣

Coach34
06-01-2023, 08:21 PM

You guys act like he hasnt been doing that before now. He has brought in some really good position players. Our problem is a pitching problem. We havent been able to bring in the arms we have needed. It eventually falls on him as HC but the evals on these pitching guys is done by the pitching coach. This is what got Fox fired. This year's evals and signings will decide Lemon's future.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 08:42 PM
Our problem is a pitching problem.

Sigh. I'm getting really tired or repeating this: we were #14 in defense, and #10 in scoring the past 2 seasons.

We are not "a pitching staff away". We are a "pitching staff away" from a sub par offense and terrible defense and going 1-2 in a regional because of it.

You can't blame the defense on Fox. You can't blame a sub average offense on Fox.

Coach34
06-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Sigh. I'm getting really tired or repeating this: we were #14 in defense, and #10 in scoring the past 2 seasons.

We are not "a pitching staff away". We are a "pitching staff away" from a sub par offense and terrible defense and going 1-2 in a regional because of it.

You can't blame the defense on Fox. You can't blame a sub average offense on Fox.

You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything. We were last in SEC games

Bama led the SEC in ERA. Bama tied us for 9th in SEC games in batting average, and scored 9 more runs in 30 SEC games than we did. They are hosting. Not to mention we won the series vs them

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 09:07 PM
You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything.

Bama led the SEC in ERA. Bama tied us for 9th in SEC games in average, and scored 9 more runs in 30 SEC games than we did. They are hosting.

Wow what a reach! Scoring and defense don't matter??

But let's look at Bama:

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2023/seconly.pdf

They are 1st in ERA, 9th in BA, 7th in fielding. If pitching was truly all that mattered, they'd be near the top of the conference in final standings... but they're in a 3 way tie for 7th. That's right, their great pitching was not even able to lift them above where their hitting and defense alone implies they should be (7th and 9th implies a #8 finish which is right on the money). It's almost like hitting and fielding matter.

Just admit the obvious truth: lemo sucks but we don't want to pay the buyout so we're conceding '24. You don't have to cover for the admin by pretending it'll be alright

Coach34
06-01-2023, 09:14 PM
So their pitching is why they are hosting? They are a top 16 seed in the entire country. Why? Pitching

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 09:25 PM
So their pitching is why they are hosting? They are a top 16 seed in the entire country. Why? Pitching

You're going to sidestep all the numbers in my post and go right back to the hosting thing?

Literally over half the conference is hosting. If they had a bad pitching staff, they'd have won less games and they wouldn't be hosting. But if they had a better offense and defense they'd be a national seed. All 3 matter- you're the one claiming only Pitching matters which is beyond "grasping at straws" as far as arguments go.

LSU was 8th in ERA. but they're a national seed. Why? Their hitting was #3, defense #11, and when you combing those 3 the hitting was enough time elevate the other 2. If pitching is all that matters how does the #8 ERA get a national seed or finish with the 3rd best conference record?

All 3 factors matter. You're the one claiming pitching matters way more the the others, but the stats don't bear that out.

Coach34
06-01-2023, 09:33 PM
I'm not side-stepping anything. Bama scored 9 more runs in SEC games than we did- thats nothing considering we allowed 5 more earned runs than them per game.

Let that sink in. Bama is hosting- we got left out.

Bama allowed 150 less earned runs than us in SEC play. But only scored 9 more runs than we did. We didnt have an offense problem. We had a pitching problem- especially the 2nd half of the season when we made the change at SS. Also having a true freshman catcher contributed to that.

But only a Lemon hater or moron doesnt see we have had a pitching problem.
192 walks in 250 innings- worst in the SEC
318 hits given up- worst in the SEC
131 extra base hits- far and away worst in the SEC

Defense could have been better- but those 3 categories is why we arent in the NCAA Tourney

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 09:40 PM
I'm not side-stepping anything. Bama scored 9 more runs in SEC games than we did- thats nothing considering we allowed 5 more earned runs than them per game.

Let that sink in. Bama is hosting- we got left out.

Bama allowed 150 less earned runs than us in SEC play. But only scored 9 more runs than we did. We didnt have an offense problem. We had a pitching problem- especially the 2nd half of the season when we made the change at SS. Also having a true freshman catcher contributed to that.

But only a Lemon hater or moron doesnt see we have had a pitching problem.
192 walks in 250 innings- worst in the SEC
318 hits given up- worst in the SEC
131 extra base hits- far and away worst in the SEC

Defense could have been better- but those 3 categories is why we arent in the NCAA Tourney

What kind of strawman argument is this? I never said pitching doesn't matter. I never said Bamas pitching being miles better than ours isn't the reason they're hosting and we're at home. I said HITTING AND DEFENSE MATTER TOO, amd I've provided stats from Bama and LSU to prove that pitching isn't all that matters. A good offense can redeem a bad staff and vice versa.

BUT, this is the big BUT here, you need to be a COMPLETE TEAM to win at a State level. Even if the new PC gets us to a Bama level staff (and he won't since he's regularly 5/9 in his conference) we'd fail to make Omaha due to offensive and defensive limitations.

You are the one who said offense and defense don't matter. The burden of proof is on you to prove with statistics offense and defense don't matter.

Coach34
06-01-2023, 09:44 PM
I didnt say that at all. But with a pitching staff thats 9th or 10th in the SEC this year- which would have lowered our team ERA by 3 runs- or 90 runs over the SEC grind- we are in the NCAA Tourney. Thats the bottom line

Coach34
06-01-2023, 09:51 PM
I didnt say that at all. But with a pitching staff thats 9th or 10th in the SEC this year- which would have lowered our team ERA by 3 runs- or 90 runs over the SEC grind- we are in the NCAA Tourney. Thats the bottom line

and honestly- if we had lowered our ERA by 3 runs and allowed 90 fewer runs in SEC play- we would be in the hosting conversation. Our RPI would have been very high and we would have had at least 15 SEC wins if not more

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2023, 09:53 PM
You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything. We were last in SEC games

You literally said pitching is everything.

But yes of out pitching was just "sub par" instead of "abysmal", we'd have made the tournament. I agree.

And you know what? We wouldn't have gone anywhere because a mediocre staff and a mediocre offense and a abysmal defense = no postseason success.

If you're happy with that, then sure let's keep Lemonis.

Coach34
06-01-2023, 10:11 PM
You literally said pitching is everything.

But yes of out pitching was just "sub par" instead of "abysmal", we'd have made the tournament. I agree.

And you know what? We wouldn't have gone anywhere because a mediocre staff and a mediocre offense and a abysmal defense = no postseason success.

If you're happy with that, then sure let's keep Lemonis.

We were 13th in fielding in the SEC in 2021. It didnt stop us from winning a Natty.

Pitching is what matters

basedog
06-02-2023, 07:25 AM
It sucks we are in this position, should not have happened.

That is a fact! Only one reason!

Can't believe you are making excuses 34, this doesn't sound like you. It all goes back to coaching and who is in charge. Players play the game when a coach brings them to the school and makes out the lineup.

Last and next to last is the problem.

Leroy Jenkins
06-02-2023, 08:06 AM

If we hadn't been mercy ruled so many times who knows what our offensive production would have been.

Only half joking.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2023, 09:01 AM
We were 13th in fielding in the SEC in 2021. It didnt stop us from winning a Natty.

Pitching is what matters

And even then, luck and timing can play just as big of a part (see OM 2022).

Baseball is a sport where sometimes stats just don't matter. Yes, it's obvious this team had issues (especially pitching).
But as you point out - the 2021 team didn't exactly light up any of the stat categories. These are stats from all games - including post season so we played more games than most teams)
On offense: 7th in Batting Average, 9th in SLG, 5th OBP, 3rd in Runs Scored (having played the most games), 4th in hits, 2nd in RBI, 8th in HR, 4th in Total Bases, 3rd in BB, 2nd lowest K's, 1st in Ground into DPS
Pitching: 6th in ERA, 2nd in BA Against,1st in Ks, 8th in hits, 11th in runs, 10th in Earned Runs, 2nd in Walks, 4th in HR allowed, 1st in Wild Pitches,
Fielding - 9th in %, 4th in Errors

If you glance at those stats against the rest of the SEC would you peg them as the National Champs? Hell No.
But those MF's knew how to win. They were killers who nutted up when things mattered. That is what makes winners in the SEC today - because the talent is there across the board.
7 different SEC schools have Nattys since 1990 (that ups to at least 9 starting next year. 9 SEC team have played for Nattys (at least 11 next year). 9 different SEC teams have made the CWS over the past 5 years (that goes to at least 11 next year).
The road is just going to get harder.

I don't think its the talent, or in some respects the coaching decisions in game. Lemonis is going to have to demand work and excellence - and he's going to have to be a hard ass about it. Some times teams have players who are naturally that way (2018-2021), Sometimes they aren't and the coach has to make them that way (see Cohen, John - 2009-2012). Can Lemonis do it? I don't know. If he can't, then he's got to figure out how to get the players who will do it themselves - or next year we will be coach searching.

deltadawg63
06-02-2023, 09:10 AM
You referenced the years 2018-2021. Well I believe a truly exceptional player and leader named Jake Mangum set the table for work ethic and approach by example and that was carried forward by Tanner Allen. We seemed to have lost that succession following Tanner Allen in my opinion.

tcdog70
06-02-2023, 09:30 AM
It sucks we are in this position, should not have happened.

That is a fact! Only one reason!

Can't believe you are making excuses 34, this doesn't sound like you. It all goes back to coaching and who is in charge. Players play the game when a coach brings them to the school and makes out the lineup.

Last and next to last is the problem.

We sucked in everything. shitty defense-shitty base running--shitty hitting--and for sure double shitty pitching. what i am worried about is the bucket sitting Coach who looked clueless all season. It took half a season to change SS. After 4 years -why didn't he know Hancock had a week arm.Did he really think he was a SEc catcher? To keep playing Alford at third was also a head scratcher. Dump lemonis asap and let's get a real coach.

Tripp McNeely
06-02-2023, 09:59 AM
Remember when this thread was about the transfer portal...those were good times!

CaptainObvious
06-02-2023, 10:54 AM
Remember when this thread was about the transfer portal...those were good times!

I agree. Mods need to delete anything in here that isn?t about the transfer portal and we need a Monitor of the Portal updating this thread every hour
Tack it to the Top if necessary.

Full disclosure: I was guilty of straying as well.

BigDawg81
06-02-2023, 10:58 AM
I quit but it?s expected and it?s message board talk

Pancho
06-02-2023, 11:48 AM
any possible truth to Montgomery being interested in leaving Stanford to come to starkville and play a year with Hines?

confucius say
06-02-2023, 01:00 PM
any possible truth to Montgomery being interested in leaving Stanford to come to starkville and play a year with Hines?

Yes

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 02:02 PM

It's very much a possibility.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 02:02 PM
I"m watching this Cravey kid for Samford pitch against usm. We need to give him a look.

CaptainObvious
06-02-2023, 03:18 PM
I"m watching this Cravey kid for Samford pitch against usm. We need to give him a look.

What about the D-III Pitcher OF THE YEAR from Belhaven. He has Stinnett hair and throws sidearm/submarine. Tops out at about 85 mph.

StarkVegasSteve
06-02-2023, 03:19 PM
It's very much a possibility.

VERY MUCH SO.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 03:25 PM
What about the D-III Pitcher OF THE YEAR from Belhaven. He has Stinnett hair and throws sidearm/submarine. Tops out at about 85 mph.

Cravey just a tad better than that. 10-2 record this year, 3.10 era, 6'6" 240 pounds, 92-95 fb, great changeup and breaking ball. Only a sophomore. 7 IP against usm today, 1 run.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 03:28 PM
VERY MUCH SO.

Yep! Would be immediate help!

StarkVegasSteve
06-02-2023, 05:24 PM
Yep! Would be immediate help!

Would immediately make our outfield and the top of our lineup one of the best in the nation. Mershon, Montgomery, Hines, and Jordan......no team would get through those 4 without giving up some damage.

The Federalist Engineer
06-02-2023, 05:39 PM
Do we think Amani Larry plays his Senior Year?

Seems he could play another year and have much greater success.

If not Mizzou has a 2nd baseman with similar size, +300, similar power and better fielding in the portal.

Trevor Austin, 440 On Base Percentage and similar plate discipline.

CaptainObvious
06-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Would immediately make our outfield and the top of our lineup one of the best in the nation. Mershon, Montgomery, Hines, and Jordan......no team would get through those 4 without giving up some damage.

Does he bat right or switch hit? Because we saw our troubles with our lefties against Left Handed pitching.

The days of few LH pitchers and the need for more LH batters is waning. Lots of left handed pitchers going to college now when before they were a premium out of high school and got MLB contracts.

Todd4State
06-03-2023, 12:06 AM

You had me at sidearm/submarine.

Although we have Cam Shuelke coming in and he throws with multiple crazy arm angles. But he's an actual draft prospect.

Todd4State
06-03-2023, 12:08 AM

Also played with Highfill and Tommasini.

Montgomery can also pitch as well potentially. Stanford tried to make him a starter. I think we might be able to potentially use him as a relief pitcher like we used Thigpen back in the day. At least we probably will look at it.

SpaceBully
06-03-2023, 04:04 AM
Apparently that?s why he came to school. He was drafted as a SS and he wanted to pitch. May be a good idea to look at him at SS and then let him close. The way he throws, he would Be a dominate closer in my opinion.

Perfect Ron Polk type player. Ron always recruited players who could play other positions and pitch. He wouldn't hesitate to swap players around and bring in someone from the field to throw some innings. Did it all the time.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Mizzou has two pitchers in the portal that are immediately helpful

(1) Austin Troesser - reliable experienced reliever- huge upgrade over KC and Enema. Nice innings:bb ratio and 220 OBA. Agriculture Major!

(2) Chandler Murphy - grad - Arizona and Missouri experience. Starter and Reliever. National Recruit from HS.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 02:04 PM
D2 Slugger

29 HRs for Quincy University. I don't even know where Quincy is located but 29 is lots of production.

Would be a Senior in D1. When was the last time MSU transferred a guy from Delta State to MSU? I don't recal.

https://quhawks.com/sports/baseball/roster/luke-napleton/7044

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 02:08 PM
Also played with Highfill and Tommasini.

Montgomery can also pitch as well potentially. Stanford tried to make him a starter. I think we might be able to potentially use him as a relief pitcher like we used Thigpen back in the day. At least we probably will look at it.

Montgomery-Hines-Jordan is a nice middle of order. Three guys with All SEC / All American profiles. Montgomery is an experienced star player.

Tripp McNeely
06-04-2023, 05:39 PM
We need this dude

https://huskers.com/sports/baseball/roster/corbin-hawkins/44309

BigDawg81
06-04-2023, 05:52 PM
Solid outfield if Lemonis could get Montgomery to come in

BigDawg81
06-04-2023, 05:52 PM
We need this dude

Would be a good get

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 12:08 AM
D2 Slugger

29 HRs for Quincy University. I don't even know where Quincy is located but 29 is lots of production.

Would be a Senior in D1. When was the last time MSU transferred a guy from Delta State to MSU? I don't recal.

https://quhawks.com/sports/baseball/roster/luke-napleton/7044

We've had a few players transfer TO Delta State. I can't remember any coming to us from there. They're a great program but honestly I can't remember them having very many players I would want at MSU since Edwin Maysonet played there. And that was a long time ago. That said, if they had a catcher that wanted to come in for a year or a solid relief guy I'm open for it. Haven't that being a possibility this year though.

Montgomery-Hines-Jordan is a nice middle of order. Three guys with All SEC / All American profiles. Montgomery is an experienced star player.

Yes! And I would keep an eye on Gonzaga's third baseman. He may be Alford's competition.

BigDawg81
06-05-2023, 07:13 AM
We've had a few players transfer TO Delta State. I can't remember any coming to us from there. They're a great program but honestly I can't remember them having very many players I would want at MSU since Edwin Maysonet played there. And that was a long time ago. That said, if they had a catcher that wanted to come in for a year or a solid relief guy I'm open for it. Haven't that being a possibility this year though.

Yes! And I would keep an eye on Gonzaga's third baseman. He may be Alford's competition.
Alford is not transferring?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-05-2023, 08:09 AM

Yeah Todd keeps moving the goalposts on Alford. First it was "he's going to transfer", then it was "he'll be interesting to watch in summer ball this year". When I asked him if that meant Alford was going to be our 3B next year, he said he'd either transfer or be replaced by a Portal guy.

Now we're scouting uncommitted Portal guys to "compete" with Alford, implying its his job to lose.

Seems to me Alford is going to be our 3B unless we get lucky with the Portal. But SEC ready 3B are kinda hard to get.

Alford is a mediocre hitter, awful defensively, and is a locker room cancer. Anything short of being forced to transfer is a fail on Lemonis imo

ZedFedder
06-05-2023, 10:48 AM
Do we know for sure he is a locker room cancer or is that just a rumor ppleiole have run with?

confucius say
06-05-2023, 12:43 PM
Yeah Todd keeps moving the goalposts on Alford. First it was "he's going to transfer", then it was "he'll be interesting to watch in summer ball this year". When I asked him if that meant Alford was going to be our 3B next year, he said he'd either transfer or be replaced by a Portal guy.

Now we're scouting uncommitted Portal guys to "compete" with Alford, implying its his job to lose.

Seems to me Alford is going to be our 3B unless we get lucky with the Portal. But SEC ready 3B are kinda hard to get.

Alford is a mediocre hitter, awful defensively, and is a locker room cancer. Anything short of being forced to transfer is a fail on Lemonis imo

We're trying. He knows the deal. But we can't technically force him to enter the portal or transfer. I still expect him to leave

WSOPdawg
06-05-2023, 01:30 PM
We need this dude

So what am I missing besides his pic looks like he throws sidearm (which is definitely cool given there are not a lot of them). But the link states the following:

"Hawkins made 13 relief appearances in debut season at Nebraska. • Went 0-2 with a 6.97 ERA. • Totaled 11 strikeouts in 10.1 innings."

My thoughts are haven't we grown too accustomed to 6.97 ERA pitchers?

ZedFedder
06-05-2023, 01:32 PM
So what am I missing besides his pic looks like he throws sidearm (which is definitely cool given there are not a lot of them). But the link states the following:

"Hawkins made 13 relief appearances in debut season at Nebraska. • Went 0-2 with a 6.97 ERA. • Totaled 11 strikeouts in 10.1 innings."

My thoughts are haven't we grown too accustomed to 6.97 ERA pitchers?

That is from 2022. His stats this year are 44.1 IP and a 2.23 ERA.

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2023, 01:39 PM
Do we know for sure he is a locker room cancer or is that just a rumor ppleiole have run with?

Probably just a rumor. This is an 18 year old kid. Probably dominated everywhere he has played until now, team has a vacuum of leadership. Maybe he made a play at being the Man, or something like that.

It's a shame MSU does not have 21 and 22 year olds that can guide the younger guys.

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 01:49 PM

As of now- no.

Second hand rumor but apparently Alford was told that we are bringing in a third baseman during his meeting at the end of the year with Lemonis and Alford apparently told him something to the effect of "that's fine I'll beat him out."

So we'll see if he can do that or not.

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 01:51 PM
Probably just a rumor. This is an 18 year old kid. Probably dominated everywhere he has played until now, team has a vacuum of leadership. Maybe he made a play at being the Man, or something like that.

It's a shame MSU does not have 21 and 22 year olds that can guide the younger guys.

Losing can make people frustrated and angry too.

We don't know whose fault it was that the fights started and it could have been Alford or the pitchers. If Lemonis didn't think he should be back I don't believe he would be allowed to have the opportunity to do so.

Tripp McNeely
06-05-2023, 02:03 PM
That is from 2022. His stats this year are 44.1 IP and a 2.23 ERA.

^^^ This!!

ScoobaDawg
06-05-2023, 02:46 PM
I agree. Mods need to delete anything in here that isn?t about the transfer portal and we need a Monitor of the Portal updating this thread every hour
Tack it to the Top if necessary.

Full disclosure: I was guilty of straying as well.

Nah... Let this one run wild for all I care.
Once the CWS finishes and pieces fall more into place, including our new pitching coach. I'll create a thread like I have done the past few years... Tracking the 2024 Team and will update transfers out and transfers in..and breakdown , draft prospects..and whatever else.

tell then, yall have fun.

Topbulldawg
06-05-2023, 07:54 PM
As of now- no.

Second hand rumor but apparently Alford was told that we are bringing in a third baseman during his meeting at the end of the year with Lemonis and Alford apparently told him something to the effect of "that's fine I'll beat him out."

If that?s true, he earned a little respect from me

KOdawg1
06-05-2023, 08:12 PM
Slate Alford is in the portal.

confucius say
06-05-2023, 08:16 PM
As of now- no.

We're still trying to get him in the portal

confucius say
06-05-2023, 08:19 PM

Well there you go

KOdawg1
06-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Delete

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 08:25 PM

And there we go.

mparkerfd20
06-05-2023, 08:30 PM
He was asked to leave. They were finally successful in getting him in the portal

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Montgomery of Stanford just went Oppo Yard on TAM.

Would be nice to get a 1st Round, Switch Hitting, Daryl Strawberry in the Roster

Todd4State
06-06-2023, 12:48 AM
Montgomery of Stanford just went Oppo Yard on TAM.

Would be nice to get a 1st Round, Switch Hitting, Daryl Strawberry in the Roster

Who can also pitch. He would be like getting two players in one.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-06-2023, 04:16 AM
Glad to see him go. Hate to see kids let attitude get in their own way though... life is hard enough as it is

basedog
06-06-2023, 08:07 AM
Who can also pitch. He would be like getting two players in one.

He is a true stud, been a long time since I have seen a player at Msu with Montgomery's ability. I have no clue IF he will leave or he would come to Msu but he is a difference maker.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2023, 03:20 PM
Michael Gupton

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=565331

2022's number 36 National recruit and #1 player in North Carolina in the portal. Leaving NC State. Did not play much, 5 ABs!

How could a guy with this pedigree only get 5 at bats?

AlSwearengen
06-06-2023, 03:47 PM
Michael Gupton

2022's number 36 National recruit and #1 player in North Carolina in the portal. Leaving NC State. Did not play much, 5 ABs!

We have had a few like that and PG is accused of not being very accurate at times for various reasons. Sometimes they just don’t adjust.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2023, 09:11 PM
We have had a few like that and PG is accused of not being very accurate at times for various reasons. Sometimes they just don’t adjust.

He is supposed to be Billy Hamilton but faster. The bat is not developed like his defense and speed. he actually hit well at all the showcases. Small town kid, maybe perfect for MSU. He committed to NCSU for 4 years without wavering.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2023, 11:49 PM
Brock Rodden - A Wichita Beningtendi or a Powerful Dubrule, 17HR from 2B

https://goshockers.com/sports/baseball/roster/brock-rodden/7450

In the portal

371 BA, 701 SlG, 17HR, 36BB, 26K

TNDawg35
06-07-2023, 02:09 AM
OM picked up a guy from Mercer today.

You would think we would want to name a pitching coach asap so we could start trying to get guys. I don’t know what the hold up is unless we are waiting on someone who is still playing…

CaptainObvious
06-07-2023, 08:55 AM
OM picked up a guy from Mercer today.

You would think we would want to name a pitching coach asap so we could start trying to get guys. I don?t know what the hold up is unless we are waiting on someone who is still playing?

Well if State has not already got their guy and he is still coaching a still playing team, then our leadership is more foolish and lost than I thought when they hung on to lemonheadray.

And IF State is waiting until teams are through playing before even talking to potential PC?s, then they don?t have the best interest of MSU at heart.

He should already be lined up and a date scheduled to introduce him.

Leroy Jenkins
06-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Delete

smootness
06-07-2023, 10:53 AM
Michael Gupton

Wyatt Langford got 4 AB as a freshman at Florida. He wasn't quite as highly ranked coming out of HS as Gupton but was obviously a huge stud by his sophomore year. Sometimes that's just the way it goes in college baseball, takes some guys a minute to start to realize their potential.

CaptainObvious
06-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Historically, pro baseball teams draft players or sign free agents based on <potential>. Colleges can not do that. The coaches don?t get to work with the players but a short time as a group in the fall and again in January. Not much one on one time at all. Projects in baseball is different than projects in football. In football, you can take a signee at 6?2? 240 LBs and by the time he is in his late sophomore to early junior year, he is at 280 to 300 LBs and ready to start on the offensive or defensive line full time his junior year. He gets most of his off-season work right on campus. A baseball player can spend his entire summer and the month of December at camps or summer leagues or at Carribean Islands leagues.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2023, 04:11 PM
Wyatt Langford got 4 AB as a freshman at Florida. He wasn't quite as highly ranked coming out of HS as Gupton but was obviously a huge stud by his sophomore year. Sometimes that's just the way it goes in college baseball, takes some guys a minute to start to realize their potential.

Basiel Williams (MSU recruit that never played) comes to mind, not quite a top 50 player, but was top 100.

He transferred to Nicholls and still is not hitting 250.

confucius say
06-07-2023, 04:23 PM

Rooker

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2023, 09:58 AM
I would have to see someone faster than Billy Hamilton. Not saying the guy isn't fast but Hamilton is the fastest dude I have seen in MLB in a long time.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2023, 07:30 AM
Interesting article, how Florida views the portal.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/06/florida-baseball-transfer-portal-super-regionals/

If you are not playing right now, you better be recruiting. I guess we will see in the next 30 days if MSU has been on vacation or recruiting.

Cooterpoot
06-09-2023, 07:59 AM
If we don't find a couple nice arms, Lemonis is in trouble. And there aren't many out there right now. Nothing like last year.

AlSwearengen
06-09-2023, 08:28 AM
If we don't find a couple nice arms, Lemonis is in trouble. And there aren't many out there right now. Nothing like last year.

We can have a team full of Hines, Jordans, and Montgomerys (if you can bring him in) but if the pitching doesn?t get straightened out it won?t matter. If, as you said, there aren?t many pitchers in the portal, that doesn?t bode well, especially when we probably don?t beat out lsu, florida, arkansas for whoever is available.

Maybe the right pitching coach can bring some arms with him.

WSOPdawg
06-09-2023, 08:47 AM
I go through life as a "glass half full" individual, but I'm honestly at "glass half empty" right now with MSU baseball and Lemonis.

Too many of the Bracky Bretts and Everett Kinnards have infiltrated our athletic department for far too long, and their/that mindset is holding us back as my expectations are to be competitive EVERY DAMN YEAR!!! Hopefully Selmon and Keenum understand that (or is Keenum also part of the problem?).

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2023, 09:30 AM
We can have a team full of Hines, Jordans, and Montgomerys (if you can bring him in) but if the pitching doesn?t get straightened out it won?t matter. If, as you said, there aren?t many pitchers in the portal, that doesn?t bode well, especially when we probably don?t beat out lsu, florida, arkansas for whoever is available.

Maybe the right pitching coach can bring some arms with him.

Last year...Roster Management outside of HS recruiting

Coaches got Dohm, Gartman, Yntema, kept Stinnett, kept KC Hunt, Nixon, Davis, and Hardin

Dohm, was good
Nixon was solid
Gartman and KC Hunt were ok-ish
Yntema and Davis were terrible
Stinnett and Hardin Not D1

or

0% All American
0% All SEC
25% Good or Solid
25% Ok or Bad, Marginal
25% Bad or Terrible
25% Not D1

With the HS crootes, JC was the big contributor of innings and performance. The other guys were hurt, very green, or did not play.

Pancho
06-09-2023, 09:47 AM
I go through life as a "glass half full" individual, but I'm honestly at "glass half empty" right now with MSU baseball and Lemonis.

Too many of the Bracky Bretts and Everett Kinnards have infiltrated our athletic department for far too long, and their/that mindset is holding us back as my expectations are to be competitive EVERY DAMN YEAR!!! Hopefully Selmon and Keenum understand that (or is Keenum also part of the problem?).

I think the part you placed in parenthesis plays a much larger role than most think.

Cowbell
06-09-2023, 09:56 AM
I think the part you placed in parenthesis plays a much larger role than most think.

The politician asserts himself anytime there is any glory to be recieved and it honestly rubs me the wrong way. I have bumped shoulders with him in Washington when he didn't know I was a Mississippi State guy and he comes off as completely fake.

confucius say
06-09-2023, 10:04 AM
There are supposedly some high end arms going in the portal when their season is over. Let's just let it play out.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2023, 11:00 AM
The politician asserts himself anytime there is any glory to be recieved and it honestly rubs me the wrong way. I have bumped shoulders with him in Washington when he didn't know I was a Mississippi State guy and he comes off as completely fake.

"Completely Fake"

Sadly, that's what people demand of the CEO. The CEO's that keep it real and genuine have to be company founders or untouchable in some way or they are toast. Guy's that can't do that will never even approach those positions as career steps. Jerry Seinfeld had a theory on the big jobs...

https://y.yarn.co/e21fb865-1aca-49e4-8bdc-36ad162fc2b0_text.gif

WSOPdawg
06-09-2023, 11:20 AM
"Completely Fake"

Sadly, that's what people demand of the CEO. The CEO's that keep it real and genuine have to be company founders or untouchable in some way or they are toast. Guy's that can't do that will never even approach those positions as career steps. Jerry Seinfeld had a theory on the big jobs...

https://y.yarn.co/e21fb865-1aca-49e4-8bdc-36ad162fc2b0_text.gif

lol, I think Seinfield may be on to something.

TNDawg35
06-10-2023, 03:41 AM
OM 2B just entered the portal. )Not saying we want him, just saying he is in) they will literally have a whole new roster next year?

Texas Tech Catcher also just entered. Kid was Big12 freshman of the year this year. May be a kid to look at unless we are dead set on Highfill being the starter (which I?m ok with). Kids like him don?t transfer to schools unless they know they are gonna start.

Pancho
06-10-2023, 07:06 AM
Bianco told the 2B that he had no scholly but could return but no guarantee of playing time.

Todd4State
06-10-2023, 10:02 AM
OM 2B just entered the portal. )Not saying we want him, just saying he is in) they will literally have a whole new roster next year?

Texas Tech Catcher also just entered. Kid was Big12 freshman of the year this year. May be a kid to look at unless we are dead set on Highfill being the starter (which I?m ok with). Kids like him don?t transfer to schools unless they know they are gonna start.

He sucks

StarkVegasSteve
06-10-2023, 11:41 AM

Well Byrne, Scott, and Dan had basicallly ridded our athletic dept of all of those types but when Cohen got the AD job they all came out of the woodwork again. Zac will get rid of them once again but it will take him a minute. Cohen had a culture of laziness in everything not involving baseball and he let some extremely talented people walk out the door.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Well Byrne, Scott, and Dan had basicallly ridded our athletic dept of all of those types but when Cohen got the AD job they all came out of the woodwork again. Zac will get rid of them once again but it will take him a minute. Cohen had a culture of laziness in everything not involving baseball and he let some extremely talented people walk out the door.

You want some truth. This is it!

BigDawg81
06-11-2023, 08:31 PM
There are supposedly some high end arms going in the portal when their season is over. Let's just let it play out.
Here you go. This might be this year Skenes. He might not be on the exact level as Skenes but as close as it might get
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1668042217976463360

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 02:29 PM
Slate Alford decides to stay a Bulldog

https://twitter.com/SlateAlford

TALL DAWG
06-19-2023, 04:19 PM
Now that Stanford is out?lets get Montgomery back to Sipp for his last yr before he goes pro?get the stud 3rd baseman freshman from Bama and?get 2-3 pitchers then?we will be back in regionals next yr. Make it happen cigar boys.

IngomarDawg
06-19-2023, 04:27 PM
question, not necessarily saying we want all of them back, but do Husjack and Hunt having eligibility remaining? I see they are playing in summer leagues, not sure if thats common for players not returning to school.

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 06:21 PM
question, not necessarily saying we want all of them back, but do Husjack and Hunt having eligibility remaining? I see they are playing in summer leagues, not sure if thats common for players not returning to school.

Hujsak will be back. He'll battle for a corner OF/DH spot. I like his potential a lot.

I doubt Hunt is back. I wouldn't be opposed if he did though. Maybe Parker can turn him into a decent bullpen arm.

Homedawg
06-19-2023, 06:57 PM
Hunt won't be back. Hujsak as KO said will.

confucius say
06-19-2023, 07:02 PM
Larry likely going to sign too imo

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 07:05 PM
Larry likely going to sign too imo

Likely but not 100%.

I think we're banking on Cupp at SS and Mershon at 2B though.

Just need to find a difference maker at 3B

SPMT
06-19-2023, 07:15 PM
Likely but not 100%.

I think we're banking on Cupp at SS and Mershon at 2B though.

Just need to find a difference maker at 3B

We have any shot at the Bama third baseman?

BigDawg81
06-19-2023, 07:23 PM
We have any shot at the Bama third baseman?3B is definitely a position of need. We need him

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 07:24 PM
We have any shot at the Bama third baseman?

Don't think so. Seems to be South Carolina bound. His sister goes there and he's tight with their assistant.

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 07:25 PM
3B is definitely a position of need. We need him

Hot name rn is Cade McGee from Gonzaga

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 07:27 PM
I'm sad to see Alford back. Kid has a massive attitude problem, is awful defensively, and sub par offensively. I get the coaches want him as insurance incase they can't land a 3B from the Portal, but I really wanted an upgrade.

Hujsak was not an SEC hitter Last year or the year before he transferred here. He's got to take a step forward to replace Clark in the OF.

We need a 3B, at least 8-10 innings of SEC pitching, a bat in the OF, Cupp to make it to campus (it sounds likely to happen), Highfill to continue to improve defensively, Hines to get better woth the glove, the injured pitchers to come back strong, and Parker to work his magic with our talented young arms. We also need a no BS allowed leader to step up among the players.

Do ALL that and we're in Omaha. Do most of it and we're a SR team. Do half and we're a host. Do less than half and we're replacing Lemonis. All I'm my opinion of course

ZedFedder
06-19-2023, 07:32 PM
I'm sad to see Alford back. Kid has a massive attitude problem, is awful defensively, and sub par offensively. I get the coaches want him as insurance incase they can't land a 3B from the Portal, but I really wanted an upgrade.

Hujsak was not an SEC hitter Last year or the year before he transferred here. He's got to take a step forward to replace Clark in the OF.

We need a 3B, at least 8-10 innings of SEC pitching, a bat in the OF, Cupp to make it to campus (it sounds likely to happen), Highfill to continue to improve defensively, Hines to get better woth the glove, the injured pitchers to come back strong, and Parker to work his magic with our talented young arms. We also need a no BS allowed leader to step up among the players.

Do ALL that and we're in Omaha. Do most of it and we're a SR team. Do half and we're a host. Do less than half and we're replacing Lemonis. All I'm my opinion of course

Alford is going to UGA

SPMT
06-19-2023, 07:33 PM

Saw where Alford is going to UGA

Coach34
06-19-2023, 07:52 PM
Hugesack is going to hit next Spring

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 07:52 PM
Alford is going to UGA

Excellent!

Probably means Lemo is confident he can land an upgrade. Not going ot count that chicken before it hatches but I'll be more optimistic now

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 07:58 PM

Through 11 summer league games, he's hitting .450 with 5 HR, 4 2B, 11 RBI...

Yeah, he's gonna hit.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 08:07 PM

He hit .238, OBP .277, SLG was better at .452. Hit .289 with 10 HRs at VCU the year before that.

Could he be good next year? He's got decent pop, but hasn't shown any ability to make contact or draw walks. Alford hit .248 OBP .313, SLG .459 and was AWFUL defensively, yet Hujesak couldn't take the spot from him.

What makes you think the guy is going to make such a massive leap next year?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 08:12 PM
Through 11 summer league games, he's hitting .450 with 5 HR, 4 2B, 11 RBI...

Yeah, he's gonna hit.

Players get hot all the time, doesn't mean it'll last (sadly).

Answer this, if he's such a stud today why could he not beat out ALford's .248 average a month ago? Did getting away from GoTro really help him .200 points?

Glad to hear he's doing well and I do hope I'm wrong, but the guy has hit .289 at VCU in '22 and couldn't hit a month ago. Most likely he's just facing bad pitching an/or is on a hot streak vs he's had a breakthrough the second GoTro wasn't coaching him.

Homedawg
06-19-2023, 08:16 PM

Answer this, if he's such a stud today why could he not beat out ALford's .248 average a month ago? Did getting away from GoTro really help him .200 points?

Glad to hear he's doing well and I do hope I'm wrong, but the guy has hit .289 at VCU in '22 and couldn't hit a month ago. Most likely he's just facing bad pitching an/or is on a hot streak vs he's had a breakthrough the second GoTro wasn't coaching him.

Not saying he's gonna be a star but the reason he didn't beat Alford out is --- he's not an inf. He's bad defensively. W that said I think Alford is gonna be good next year at uga. But we had to let him hit the road. Had to.

Coach34
06-19-2023, 08:19 PM
What makes you think the guy is going to make such a massive leap next year?

I watched him at the plate

There have been MLB All-Stars hit under .200 early in their college careers

He had 42 AB's in 4 months. Nobody gets anything going that way.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 08:22 PM
I watched him at the plate

There have been MLB All-Stars hit under .200 early in their college careers

He had 42 AB's in 4 months. Nobody gets anything going that way.

... and he was a full time starter at VCU and hit .289 in '22.

I'm not saying he CAN'T hit next year, guys do make jumps. But 95% of guys who can't hit as Jrs can't hit as Srs either so why would I expect him to be the 5%?

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 08:23 PM

He and Alford don't play the same position. He would've had to beaten out Clark (RF) or Hines (DH), and that wasn't going to happen.

The dude only had 42 ABs this year. You bring up the .289 at VCU like that's bad. If he hits .289 with 12 HRs, 55 RBI, and an .888 OPS plus 17 SBs next year, it'd be a fantastic year.

I choose to believe with the physical tools he has + another year of development + more opportunities, that he can be a big piece for us. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I believe. Believe what you want.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 08:39 PM
He and Alford don't play the same position. He would've had to beaten out Clark (RF) or Hines (DH), and that wasn't going to happen.

The dude only had 42 ABs this year. You bring up the .289 at VCU like that's bad. If he hits .289 with 12 HRs, 55 RBI, and an .888 OPS plus 17 SBs next year, it'd be a fantastic year.

I choose to believe with the physical tools he has + another year of development + more opportunities, that he can be a big piece for us. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I believe. Believe what you want.

I remember a start or 2 at 3B as we desperately searched for an Alford replacement

But getting to the overall point, It's possible he'll improve but by your criteria we should have kept FOrsythe as he'll be really good his Sr season. And we should keep Alford, he's got tools maybe he just needs another year to develop and some forced opportunities. You get the point.

We all know the vast majority of players with "tools" don't pan out in year 4 if they haven't by year 3. There are exceptions yes and I really hope he's one, but the odds do not seem in his favor

if we can add an OF bat we need too. Should be easier to do than finding a good 3B or pitchers

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 08:52 PM
I remember a start or 2 at 3B as we desperately searched for an Alford replacement

But getting to the overall point, It's possible he'll improve but by your criteria we should have kept FOrsythe as he'll be really good his Sr season. And we should keep Alford, he's got tools maybe he just needs another year to develop and some forced opportunities. You get the point.

We all know the vast majority of players with "tools" don't pan out in year 4 if they haven't by year 3. There are exceptions yes and I really hope he's one, but the odds do not seem in his favor

if we can add an OF bat we need too. Should be easier to do than finding a good 3B or pitchers

Except Forysthe and Alford have never shown the ability to hit double digit HRs with an almost .900 OPS. Hujsak has. They also had plenty of opportunities. Hujsak hasn't. So the situations aren't similar at all.

He would've been asked to look around if we didn't think he could hit at this level. Sure, he may flop. But I choose to believe he can be good. Again, my choice, not your's.

Adding a good 3B bat should be easy considering we have no one there currently.

Saltydog
06-19-2023, 08:58 PM
Yeah and Hunt is looking like Cy Young in the Cape too so there's that. . . . . .

Homedawg
06-19-2023, 09:24 PM
Yeah and Hunt is looking like Cy Young in the Cape too so there's that. . . . . .

He's thrown 3 innings. Let's not crown him yet....

confucius say
06-19-2023, 10:39 PM

I tend to agree. Not like .340. But I think he can hit close to .300 with double digit HR. Very athletic and toolsy

confucius say
06-19-2023, 10:42 PM
Not saying he's gonna be a star but the reason he didn't beat Alford out is --- he's not an inf. He's bad defensively. W that said I think Alford is gonna be good next year at uga. But we had to let him hit the road. Had to.

Agree. Even if there is collateral damage, had to be done.

The Federalist Engineer
06-20-2023, 12:55 AM
Agree. Even if there is collateral damage, had to be done.

As bad as Hujsak might be, Alford was actually terrible. Also Hujsak had a 900 fielding percentage at SS, that's still much better than Alfords 835 at 3B. A 900 at SS is roughly a 940 at 3B.

In recent memory, MSU has played catchers at 3B with no significant prep. Marshall Gilbert was a Super Regional and Omaha guy at 3B. Gavin Collins did not make Omaha, but played a nice 3B in 2016 - into the tragic Arizona Super Regional. Collins was the 3B on a National Champion caliber team.

This past year, I bet Hancock could have played 3B and Huksak at 1B. Upgrades in two fielding positions and one better bat.

I get it though, Alford looks like Tarzan and the coaches were hoping his pedigree would eventually kick-in. MSU certainly invested in Alford. Even UGA thinks he has something to offer.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 05:07 AM
How about this: let's get a talented OF and let Hujsak compete with him. Let the best man win. Surely we can all agree on that?

KOdawg1
06-20-2023, 06:13 AM
How about this: let's get a talented OF and let Hujsak compete with him. Let the best man win. Surely we can all agree on that?
I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 07:05 AM

Could be room for Hujsak and a portal guy. I think chance is probably in the lineup too.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 07:06 AM
As bad as Hujsak might be, Alford was actually terrible. Also Hujsak had a 900 fielding percentage at SS, that's still much better than Alfords 835 at 3B. A 900 at SS is roughly a 940 at 3B.

In recent memory, MSU has played catchers at 3B with no significant prep. Marshall Gilbert was a Super Regional and Omaha guy at 3B. Gavin Collins did not make Omaha, but played a nice 3B in 2016 - into the tragic Arizona Super Regional. Collins was the 3B on a National Champion caliber team.

This past year, I bet Hancock could have played 3B and Huksak at 1B. Upgrades in two fielding positions and one better bat.

I get it though, Alford looks like Tarzan and the coaches were hoping his pedigree would eventually kick-in. MSU certainly invested in Alford. Even UGA thinks he has something to offer.

I just meant I agreed we had to let alford go. Even if that means collateral damage

Pancho
06-20-2023, 07:10 AM
Wes will probably take Alford down a notch or 2 if he can find a spot on the field, if not he'll prob be the DH

Leeshouldveflanked
06-20-2023, 11:43 AM
Could be room for Hujsak and a portal guy. I think chance is probably in the lineup too.
We may be having another outfield spot opening up soon anyways.

BrunswickDawg
06-20-2023, 11:47 AM

Smoke around Dakota Jordan following Alford to UGA?

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Smoke around Dakota Jordan following Alford to UGA?

It all invloves his handler. Nothing we can do within reason. And it's not Lem.

AlSwearengen
06-20-2023, 12:15 PM

Is it Dulin? They got pissy with olemiss a few years ago.

BrunswickDawg
06-20-2023, 12:16 PM

So short-sighted. Yeah, UGA will be bumping NIL and it's a fun town. But, name the last UGA baseball player in MLB.

AlSwearengen
06-20-2023, 12:21 PM
So short-sighted. Yeah, UGA will be bumping NIL and it's a fun town. But, name the last UGA baseball player in MLB.

so, uga is going to go cheap on a coach and get someone that has never really been a serious head coaching candidate but spend money on NIL. Of all of the baseball schools to leave for and ga is the choice?

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 12:22 PM
Is it Dulin? They got pissy with olemiss a few years ago.

I'm not naming any names.......... take that as you will.............................................. ..................................

confucius say
06-20-2023, 12:24 PM

Correct. Thats what I'm referring to
Also why I've been talking about "collateral damage" from telling alford to leave.

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 12:24 PM
so, uga is going to go cheap on a coach and get someone that has never really been a serious head coaching candidate but spend money on NIL. Of all of the baseball schools to leave for and ga is the choice?

They aren't going to pay him what his handler is asking I can assure you of that. Do they get him??? possibly.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 12:26 PM

It's not money. We could pay handsomely. But we're not paying him more than mlb minimum. Which is what his handler is demanding. Screw him.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 12:28 PM

Uga is getting a discount rate since they took alford. We can pay Jordan roughly what Tommy white got. It's not money. It's alford's dad and Jordan's handler

confucius say
06-20-2023, 12:29 PM
I'm not naming any names.......... take that as you will.............................................. ..................................

I will. Screw that guy.

ZedFedder
06-20-2023, 12:31 PM
It would really stink to lose him, but in this day and age it is what it is. I hate it for Dakota because the guy seemed to really enjoy wearing the M over S. Maybe we can still retain him.

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 12:41 PM
It's not money. We could pay handsomely. But we're not paying him more than mlb minimum. Which is what his handler is demanding. Screw him.

Correct ....Well more than mlb min.

Saltydog
06-20-2023, 12:48 PM
UCLA RHP
Kelly Austin

It may not be fair but if DJ leaves it's a reflection (and a poor one) on Lemonis. It's also just another nail in his coffin and further reiterates why we should've moved on.

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 12:50 PM
It may not be fair but if DJ leaves it's a reflection (and a poor one) on Lemonis. It's also just another nail in his coffin and further reiterates why we should've moved on.

This literally has ZERO to do with it. We could have a new coach and this would still be taking place.

Saltydog
06-20-2023, 12:58 PM
Maybe, maybe not but it dang sure makes it easier to pack up and move on when you play on a shitty team for a possible lame duck coach.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 01:02 PM

Way off base here.

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 01:02 PM
Maybe, maybe not but it dang sure makes it easier to pack up and move on when you play on a shitty team for a possible lame duck coach.

That's a soundbite, but not anything based on the facts in evidence. And if he goes to UGA he's going to a first year head coach, that he's talked to over the phone, maybe.......

Saltydog
06-20-2023, 01:09 PM
The perception to the casual fan will be that rats are jumping off the ship before it sinks. That may not be a fair representation of the facts here but it doesn't matter, perception is reality.

Tripp McNeely
06-20-2023, 01:09 PM
I will. Screw that guy.

Exactly, he deserves to be embarrassed and exposed on as many platforms as possible for acting petty

confucius say
06-20-2023, 01:12 PM

The only thing we could have done to avoid this was keep alford. And they still may not have worked.

But keeping him likely would have cost you others and certainly would have kept issues in your locker room.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 01:14 PM
Exactly, he deserves to be embarrassed and exposed on as many platforms as possible for acting petty

I know many don't want to burn bridges there bc of his connections.

Homedawg
06-20-2023, 01:15 PM
The perception to the casual fan will be that rats are jumping off the ship before it sinks. That may not be a fair representation of the facts here but it doesn't matter, perception is reality.

Fine. Hang out w perception then.

TNDawg35
06-20-2023, 01:17 PM
At some point you have to step back and say, Well…. bye…. I don’t care what perception is to the sidewalk fans. You can’t let players hold you hostage. There are plenty of portal guys who are hungry and would give their left nut to wear the M over S.

Alford had an attitude problem. He needed to go. If Jordan wants to go with him cause he doesn’t have the sense to not be pressured into it, let him go.

AlSwearengen
06-20-2023, 01:22 PM
i just went and looked up mlb minimum. Ho-lee-shit is all i got to say.

confucius say
06-20-2023, 01:22 PM
At some point you have to step back and say, Well…. bye…. I don’t care what perception is to the sidewalk fans. You can’t let players hold you hostage. There are plenty of portal guys who are hungry and would give their left nut to wear the M over S.

Alford had an attitude problem. He needed to go. If Jordan wants to go with him cause he doesn’t have the sense to not be pressured into it, let him go.

Agree. Go get Montgomery if he portals. I doubt he's asking 5 times what Skenes got like Dakota's handler is.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 01:24 PM
I've been as critical of Lemonis as anyone but this doesn't seem like his fault at all.

Jordan is following bad info. He's not worth what it sounds like he thinks he is. A coach can't save a kid from his own delusions.

Now if Jordan was trying to go to a top tier program I could say he wants to win, and thus blame Lemo for not having us winning enough to keep him. But if he's going to UGA then that narrative doesn't fit.

Still, at the end of the day Lemo gets paid to put a good product on the field, and loosing our 2nd best hitter would not help with that. This problem isn't his fault but he'll be held liable for overcoming it

confucius say
06-20-2023, 01:26 PM
i just went and looked up mlb minimum. Ho-lee-shit is all i got to say.

And he won't get anything close to that anywhere. Certainly not Georgia.
Hopefully some sense will get talked into him.

Saltydog
06-20-2023, 01:32 PM
I've been as critical of Lemonis as anyone but this doesn't seem like his fault at all.

Jordan is following bad info. He's not worth what it sounds like he thinks he is. A coach can't save a kid from his own delusions.

Now if Jordan was trying to go to a top tier program I could say he wants to win, and thus blame Lemo for not having us winning enough to keep him. But if he's going to UGA then that narrative doesn't fit.

Still, at the end of the day Lemo gets paid to put a good product on the field, and loosing our 2nd best hitter would not help with that. This problem isn't his fault but he'll be held liable for overcoming it

Ding, Ding, Ding........

The Federalist Engineer
06-20-2023, 02:17 PM
Agree. Go get Montgomery if he portals. I doubt he's asking 5 times what Skenes got like Dakota's handler is.

Skenes is a generational player and get's you to Omaha, guaranteed. Even with Foxy "coaching" him.

DJ is a very good player with huge upside but DJ is not in the Skenes category of players, not at all. I would get the Bama kid with 25 HRs and Montgomery (if actually available). The Homeruns still count, even if they are just 380 feet. Just got to clear the fence.

Plus, this is pretty sorry if true.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Skenes is a generational player and get's you to Omaha, guaranteed. Even with Foxy "coaching" him.

DJ is a very good player with huge upside but DJ is not in the Skenes category of players, not at all. I would get the Bama kid with 25 HRs and Montgomery (if actually available). The Homeruns still count, even if they are just 380 feet. Just got to clear the fence.

Plus, this is pretty sorry if true.

Skenes would not have gotten us to Omaha. You still have to win more than 1 game a weekend. He would have made our Team ERA close to what LSU's was this year, but we'd still be 9 spots worse than them in scoring (#1 vs #10) and worse on D. We wouldn't not have scored more runs than we gave up earned runs in SEC play, as an example. We would have made the tournament and probably hosted but wouldn't have been able to go anywhere with it

confucius say
06-20-2023, 02:31 PM
Skenes would not have gotten us to Omaha. You still have to win more than 1 game a weekend. He would have made our Team ERA close to what LSU's was this year, but we'd still be 9 spots worse than them in scoring (#1 vs #10) and worse on D. We wouldn't not have scored more runs than we gave up earned runs in SEC play, as an example. We would have made the tournament and probably hosted but wouldn't have been able to go anywhere with it

That's assuming everything goes the same way. With Skenes dominating every Friday and moving Cade to Saturday, that's as good or better than any 1-2 in the league. Which lifts your entire team. People defend better, hit better, etc....
you're at least in a regional, and with those two as your 1-2 you have a shot

TNDawg35
06-20-2023, 02:43 PM

Amazing how much better our offense would have been when our guys could actually bay not down 10 runs in the 3rd…

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 03:55 PM
That's assuming everything goes the same way. With Skenes dominating every Friday and moving Cade to Saturday, that's as good or better than any 1-2 in the league. Which lifts your entire team. People defend better, hit better, etc....
you're at least in a regional, and with those two as your 1-2 you have a shot

So LSU has Skenes, Floyd (4.53 ERA), no 3rd starter, and 3 guys in the oen who are iffy but can usually give you 2 innings.

State would have Skenes, Cade (5.23 ERA), no 3rd starter, then 2-3 guys who are iffy but can usually get you through an inning or 2 (Hunt, Nixon, Dohm).

I'm not seeing why we'd have a better ERA than them this season

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 03:57 PM
Amazing how much better our offense would have been when our guys could actually bay not down 10 runs in the 3rd…

That's a theory. I can flip it around and say our opponents would have thrown better pitchers later in the games if the score was closer, therefore our hitting often faced weaker pitching than SEC average.

These hypotheticals leave a lot of wiggle room to make it fit whatever the desired narrative is, that's why I prefer to use numbers

confucius say
06-20-2023, 04:03 PM
So LSU has Skenes, Floyd (4.53 ERA), no 3rd starter, and 3 guys in the oen who are iffy but can usually give you 2 innings.

State would have Skenes, Cade (5.23 ERA), no 3rd starter, then 2-3 guys who are iffy but can usually get you through an inning or 2 (Hunt, Nixon, Dohm).

I'm not seeing why we'd have a better ERA than them this season

We may not. I was talking about getting to Omaha. We absolutely would have had a shot at Omaha with Skenes and Cade in a regional and super regional format

confucius say
06-20-2023, 04:04 PM
Hopefully some sense can be talked into DJ before he lets himself be a pawn in a handler's game.

Cooterpoot
06-20-2023, 04:10 PM
I'll be surprised if this gets worked out. Kid is getting hit from too many sides.