PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

TNDawg35
07-31-2023, 05:47 AM
I love your confidence in Mr. Loftin and I hope you?re right, but he did not face sec bats to my knowledge. Somebody help me, who was the best team Loftin faced? USM?

Also, didn?t he battle some type of injury mid season. Anybody know what his injury was and if he is okay now?

He pitched against Bama didnt he in relief? I thought i remember him doing good, but got in some trouble due to walks.

smootness
07-31-2023, 07:25 AM
I have never understood the talk of Loo at SS. He played it in HS and I am sure he hit well. But he has only ever been a prospect as a pitcher. I am not sure if some wanted to make excuses for his struggles last year or what, but no one has seen him as anything other than a future pitcher.

basedog
07-31-2023, 07:36 AM
I think we fans are way too excited for young players to be stars after a few early games against teams that aren't in the Sec level. It takes time and some confidence especially young pitchers. I do think both Lo and Lofton will be ok. Pitching is a process over time for the majority.

KOdawg1
07-31-2023, 07:54 AM
I have never understood the talk of Loo at SS. He played it in HS and I am sure he hit well. But he has only ever been a prospect as a pitcher. I am not sure if some wanted to make excuses for his struggles last year or what, but no one has seen him as anything other than a future pitcher.

He was drafted in the late rounds last year as a SS. Now, he would've been drafted higher as a P had he not told teams he was coming to school, but he was a pro prospect as a SS.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 08:44 AM
Yep. I’ll be surprised if he isn’t Mr Friday for us in 24

Loftin is our best odds of a stater from the big 3 Fr for sure, however he only faces one SEC team (Bama) and gave up 3ER in 2.1IP. Southern was the only other decent team he played and he gave up 3 ER in 4 IP.

He's got stuff but he still needs to improve. He's far and away the furthest along of the big 3 so you've gotta think he'll end up starting whether he's ready or not

The thing is I'd be excited about him if he was our Sunday starter. But as a Friday arm? Holman was the clear missing piece for the team and I don't think we'll be able to make up for it. Already relying on a lot of jumps from the returning guys just to fill out the bullpen alone

Coach34
07-31-2023, 08:49 AM
A bullpen of Holcombe, Simmons, Auger, Dohm, Tapper, and Siary should be good enough for us.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 08:53 AM
Or Saturday. They're kind of interchangeable in the SEC anyway.

Friday and Saturday? No, they're not. We won the series Vs LSU because we conceded Friday. This next year, it will be our #1 vs their #1, etc. Big difference if Loftin is our #1 vs #2. Right now the Miami kid is our #1 so we better hope Loftin starts on Fr, as that would mean he took over the #1 spot. The Miami guy isn't a Fr starter imo.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:04 AM
A bullpen of Holcombe, Simmons, Auger, Dohm, Tapper, and Siary should be good enough for us.

If they progress and stay healthy? Yes. But for some guys it just never clicks, and there's always an injury to someone. We're going to be extremely thin at starting pitcher and asking Dohm to go 4 innings instead of 2 is a big difference. That's where Holman would have makes some flaws that will now have to be left on an island to sink or swim.

Dohm and Tapper and Siary got shelled in SEC play. Holcombe had a good opponent average but walked a ton, has to figure out control. Simmons and Auger are coming off major injury. Will some of them be good? Absolutely. Will they all improve dramatically/come back healthy and stay healthy? Almost certainly no.

PS- got Dohm as a Starter next year. Just not sure where starter #3 will come from. I got Loftin probably being a Starter, one of Loo or Holcombe as a midweek starter, and the other of those 2 not taking a step forward. Statistically that just seems likely. So the 3rd starter would be Dohm I guess

Coach34
07-31-2023, 09:24 AM
If it was me?

Friday- Loftin
Saturday- Miami
Sunday- Holcombe

Middle relief- Simmons, Tapper, Siary, Dohm
Set-up- Auger
Closer- Loo

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:56 AM
Going to add some stuff to your comment to make my point easier to read. I'm going to add their stats from last year and how many innings a weekend we can expect from these guys IF they take big, but possible steps:

If it was me?

Friday- Loftin (ERA of 8.08 vs the only 2 tournament teams he faced. Say he goes 5 IP next year)
Saturday- Miami (4.8 ERA. 6IP)
Sunday- Holcombe (8.25 ERA. 5IP)

Middle relief- Simmons (will be good if he comes back strong from injury. 4IP) , Tapper (.309 avg against. 2IP), Siary (7.07 ERA, .299 avg against. 2IP) , Dohm (already OK, will be good if he takes a step. 4IP)
Set-up- Auger (will be good of he comes back strong from injury. 2IP)
Closer- Loo (8.10 ERA due to control issues. 3IP)

I by my count, Dohm and Miami are the only 2 proven arms. Need 2/2 giys coming off injury to pick up where they left off. Need 3 guys to fix control issues (Loftin, Loo, Holcombe) and need 2 more to dramatically increase their swing and miss stuff to bring the average against down.

All to have a combined 33 innings of pitching BEFORE injuries. Add in 7ish innings from JuCo and Fr and we'd have enough for SEC play after injuries.

My issue with all this? The idea what everyone will all make a massive jump. My guess is guys like Tapper and Siary don't pan out, maybe a guy coming off injury can't perform, say Holcombe can't work out control issues and gets pulled in the 3rd every Sunday. My guess is we loose about 8-10 innings due to guys you're counting on not panning out.

We really needed a Portal stud. No other way to say it. That would free up 5-6 innings of bullpen work where things really get sketchy.

Cooterpoot
07-31-2023, 10:01 AM
Loftin and Holcomb have to get their heads right. Both have talent. Loo has it too, just needs to figure best way to use him and work on his stuff some. We've got a lot of potential in our staff. Just no one has shown it consistently yet. Parker will certainly earn his pay.
I could mention Dohm and Stone and our new Juco guy too. The way I see it, it's not possible to be worse than what we saw last year. How big a jump we can make it the question. But we'll improve regardless.

Really Clark?
07-31-2023, 10:05 AM
Our pitchers have to take a big step with control. But it also helps to not call 2-3 straight breaking balls off the plate 5 inches when you are ahead in the count. That happened way too much and hurt our pitcher's confidence as well.

Commercecomet24
Loftin and Holcomb have to get their heads right. Both have talent. Loo has it too, just needs to figure best way to use him and work on his stuff some. We've got a lot of potential in our staff. Just no one has shown it consistently yet. Parker will certainly earn his pay.
I could mention Dohm and Stone and our new Juco guy too. The way I see it, it's not possible to be worse than what we saw last year. How big a jump we can make it the question. But we'll improve regardless.

Nailed it. There's a lot of talent on this staff the question is harnessing it. If Parker can unlock it for these guys we'll be just fine. He's definitely gonna have to earn his pay.

Commercecomet24
Our pitchers have to take a big step with control. But it also helps to not call 2-3 straight breaking off the plate 5 inches when you are ahead in the count. That happened way too much and hurt our pitcher's confidence as well.

Amen brother! The pitch calling made me pull my hair out and almost lose my religion!

Non competitive pitches when ahead in the count is absolutely insane!

TNDawg35
07-31-2023, 10:28 AM
What the hell is Montgomery waiting on to commit to someone? I mean don’t they report pretty soon?

somebodyshotmypaw
07-31-2023, 10:33 AM
Our pitchers have to take a big step with control.

I've said it a million times. I don't give a rat's ass how hard you throw ball 4.

Coach34
07-31-2023, 10:38 AM
Amen brother! The pitch calling made me pull my hair out and almost lose my religion!

Non competitive pitches when ahead in the count is absolutely insane!

pitch calling was horrendous. Parker will be a step up there. Hell, my sister would be a step up.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 10:48 AM
pitch calling was horrendous. Parker will be a step up there. Hell, my sister would be a step up.

I was honestly dumbfounded at the approach we had game after game with the pitch calling. Part of the problem with our pitching was we were so predictable. We never attacked inside and if a pitch came in it was just because the pitcher missed his spot. If a hitter knows there no chance of getting busted inside you get real comfortable leaning out over the plate and taking away the only spot we ever threw to. Everthing was away, away away and when we got ahead we threw non competitive pitches trying to get strike outs. Heck a hitter gets behind 0-2 to us just take the next 3 pitches and then look for a cripple on 3-2 or take one of the gazillion walks we gave up! It real was head scratching.

Leroy Jenkins
07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
We have pitchers who would play for any team in this league.... just not enough of them.

Really Clark?
07-31-2023, 10:53 AM

My daughter would have called better games and pulled pitchers much faster. But she also would have challenged hitters a lot more.

Cooterpoot
07-31-2023, 11:57 AM
Last call Foxhall is what I started calling him. Because he was either drunk or just calling the same pitch so much. It worked either way.

WSOPdawg
07-31-2023, 12:43 PM
What the hell is Montgomery waiting on to commit to someone? I mean don’t they report pretty soon?

I think at this point, you move forward NOT expecting Montgomery to be on the team. He has to know his announcement of coming to State would have possibly persuaded other transfer targets to also come play with him, Hines, Jordan, etc.

He didn't make that announcement, that's why I'm thinking Lemonis is going to be the bridesmaid for Montgomery's services... hope I'm wrong.

BigDawg81
07-31-2023, 12:50 PM
I think we have a silent commit. It?s the Purdue pitcher but we waiting on him to announce.

Coach34
07-31-2023, 12:52 PM
not landing Montgomery would make the offseason portal a failure

basedog
07-31-2023, 12:55 PM

You shouldn't be surprised. Your sister told me to tell you**

The Federalist Engineer
07-31-2023, 01:02 PM

Lemons is sleeping with phone by his side..humming

"I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone
I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone
Hello, speak up, is there somebody there?
These hang-ups are getting me down
In a world frozen over with over-exposure
Let's talk it over, let's go out and paint the town
I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone"

https://media.tenor.com/QCQBq_zwgQMAAAAd/pettyratz-call-me.gif

confucius say
07-31-2023, 01:20 PM
Cape finishes up this week. Expect him in town after that.

The Federalist Engineer
07-31-2023, 01:23 PM
Last call Foxhall is what I started calling him. Because he was either drunk or just calling the same pitch so much. It worked either way.

Foxhall was just hired at Auburn. "Director of Player Development"

The new Auburn PC is a guy named Everett Teaford, who was the Minor Leauge Pitching Coordinator for the White Sox before coming to college.

Really Clark?
07-31-2023, 01:36 PM
Cape finishes up this week. Expect him in town after that.

Playoffs start this weekend with his team in first place.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 01:50 PM

Finally a take we agree on lol

Though I think we needed a Friday starter more than Montgomery. Montgomery is probably a bigger "failure", just because we had so much going for us.

confucius say
07-31-2023, 02:26 PM
Playoffs start this weekend with his team in first place.

Well whenever playoffs end. They run through next week I believe.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-31-2023, 02:30 PM

He grew up in Madison. He's played with, or against, many guys on our team. We have an open outfield spot. If he wants to pitch some there would be an opportunity. I agree Montgomery makes too much sense and we absolutely have to get him.

KOdawg1
07-31-2023, 02:36 PM
Stephens is in

Cooterpoot
07-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Foxhall was just hired at Auburn. "Director of Player Development"

The new Auburn PC is a guy named Everett Teaford, who was the Minor Leauge Pitching Coordinator for the White Sox before coming to college.

And? Seems like AU is the landing spot for a lot of State guys that weren't very good at their jobs.

Leroy Jenkins
07-31-2023, 02:58 PM
Stephens is in

76 innings. 72 hits 66K, 30BB as a Soph. I'll take it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 03:07 PM
5.21 ERA in the Big 10. That's probably a ERA of 7 vs SEC hitting. Assume Parker improves him, now we're at an ERA of 6ish. Seems like a Sunday or even midweek guy honestly

TALL DAWG
07-31-2023, 03:12 PM
He?ll need to get his BB?s down some which our entire staff will need to do.

Welcome aboard Stephens!

KOdawg1
07-31-2023, 03:18 PM
He?ll need to get his BB?s down some which our entire staff will need to do.

Welcome aboard Stephens!

He doesn't walk that many. Only 30 in 76 IP this year. He just got hit hard in a few games.

bigbub50
07-31-2023, 03:23 PM
Add another one to the Lemon train. All aboard. Whoop whoop.

TNDawg35
07-31-2023, 03:47 PM
At this point, take as many pitchers as we can get. I don’t care what their ERA is in the big ten. We need arms and can figure out the rest later.

DEDawg
07-31-2023, 04:33 PM
Stephens will have a better year than Holman. Why? Because I said so and 17 LSU. Hail State.

Coach34
07-31-2023, 04:39 PM
5.21 ERA in the Big 10. That's probably a ERA of 7 vs SEC hitting. Assume Parker improves him, now we're at an ERA of 6ish. Seems like a Sunday or even midweek guy honestly

2.73 ERA in 9 starts in Cape Cod this summer. That?s encouraging

TALL DAWG
07-31-2023, 05:03 PM
Yes.

Some pitchers can and do improve as they get older. We are hoping for this for a lot of our 2024 staff.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 05:04 PM
Heck if nothing else we can use Stephen as a pinch runner dude is 6.7 in the 60.

CaptainObvious
07-31-2023, 05:08 PM
Heck if nothing else we can use Stephen as a pinch runner dude is 6.7 in the 60.

Well heck! Our Bunt Defense just improved a bunch! That guy will be quick off the mound!

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 05:33 PM
Well heck! Our Bunt Defense just improved a bunch! That guy will be quick off the mound!

Dude was a pretty good shortstop and hitter in hs.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 06:35 PM
2.73 ERA in 9 starts in Cape Cod this summer. That?s encouraging

Did not know that, it's definately encouraging. Cape has real hitters

The Federalist Engineer
07-31-2023, 07:31 PM
Stephens was crushed in two games Indiana and Ole Miss. Outside of that, the ERA was 3.30.

But he was the Purdue Friday night guy. At MSU, he is long relief. He would not be extended or expected to eat innings versus a bad match-up team.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 07:37 PM
Stephens was crushed in two games Indiana and Ole Miss. Outside of that, the ERA was 3.30.

But he was the Purdue Friday night guy. At MSU, he is long relief. He would not be extended or expected to eat innings versus a bad match-up team.

Either way, he's definitely better than Tapper/Davis/Siary so every inning he pitches will be improving the bullpen

KOdawg1
07-31-2023, 07:44 PM
Either way, he's definitely better than Tapper/Davis/Siary so every inning he pitches will be improving the bullpen

Wouldn't throw Siary with that bunch. His stats this summer:

7G 34.2IP 23H 5ER 5-0 1.30ERA 11BB 34K

Cooterpoot
07-31-2023, 07:47 PM
Finally a take we agree on lol

Though I think we needed a Friday starter more than Montgomery. Montgomery is probably a bigger "failure", just because we had so much going for us.

He's going to compete for a starting spot

Coach34
07-31-2023, 07:47 PM

It blows my mind that our fans cant grasp that us throwing 5 true freshmen out there to the SEC wolves was going to end badly. And then they dont seem to understand that these guys should improve as Soph's.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 08:39 PM
It blows my mind that our fans cant grasp that us throwing 5 true freshmen out there to the SEC wolves was going to end badly. And then they dont seem to understand that these guys should improve as Soph's.

This. For every level you go up there?s an adjustment period to the speed of the game, and the only way to get better is to take your lumps and learn We have talented players the question is can they adjust, but the talent and the potential is certainly there.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:03 PM

Vs what competition? These summer leagues vary greatly

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:06 PM

Everyone understands that!

But players tend to improve year over year- they don't make massive jumps out of nowhere. These Fr will get 1 offseason with a real pitching coach, that's it. Then they'll be thrown to the wolves like they wer elast year. It's just not much time for Parker to fix things

Homedawg
07-31-2023, 09:08 PM
Siary is a pen guy. Strike thrower but not elite stuff. Not dogging him but not a high ceiling. But like his competitiveness

Homedawg
07-31-2023, 09:11 PM
Everyone understands that!

But players tend to improve year over year- they don't make massive jumps out of nowhere. These Fr will get 1 offseason with a real pitching coach, that's it. Then they'll be thrown to the wolves like they wer elast year. It's just not much time for Parker to fix things

Not saying this is goi g to happen but here's an example of improving .... Uber talented Dakota Hudson pitched here his Jr year AFTER he had his scholarship yanked. A year later he was a 1st rounder. People get better. Heck, from all our first round pitchers thru the years, jay Powell was by far the best his fr year. Bj Wallace was raw and meh. Loewer, same. Ginter couldn't throw strikes. Ethan small couldn't get anyone out ... then blew his arm out. It's not rare fr struggle in this league. Matter of fact, it's more common than being good as a fr. Even today.
Eta
Mahlom was good as a fr. Dubose was good but made a jump the next year to greater heights. Keep this in mind- the guy people are losing their mind over losing, Holman , pitched 19 innings as a fr and didn't make a start until March this year!!!

Homedawg
07-31-2023, 09:17 PM

He wasn't in the toughest of leagues. But at least he did well, where he was. All you can hope. If you aren't in the cape it's hard to gauge. Yet we have fans complaint that Hunter is hitting 250 w a wood bat in the toughest league by a mile.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:18 PM
Not saying this is goi g to happen but here's an example of improving .... Uber talented Dakota Hudson pitched here his Jr year AFTER he had his scholarship yanked. A year later he was a 1st rounder. People get better. Heck, from all our first round pitchers thru the years, jay Powell was by far the best his fr year. Bj Wallace was raw and meh. Loewer, same. Ginter couldn't throw strikes. Ethan small couldn't get anyone out ... then blew his arm out. It's not rare fr struggle in this league. Matter of fact, it's more common than being good as a fr. Even today.

Absolutely big jumps are possible, sometimes things just"click". I'm saying that far more rare than a steady slow improvement most guys follow

smootness
07-31-2023, 09:20 PM
Eta
Mahlom was good as a fr. Dubose was good but made a jump the next year to greater heights.

All this is no doubt true. The issue is not that these guys are unable to improve. You can point to plenty of guys who were great but struggled initially. But you can point to more who just continued to struggle. And we do not have essentially anyone we know we can count on going into next year. We need EVERYONE, or at least quite a few, to take big jumps at the same time. Possible, but seems quite unlikely.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-31-2023, 09:31 PM

Found it.

https://pgcbl.com/2023-east-division-preview/

So teamates with Wakes SS, a Bama commit, and a guy from each of Maryland, Utah, and Pitt. The article mentions returning pitchers for his team (Mohawks) and they're from Fairfield, Cornell, Brown, and New Haven. Scanned down the article and didnt see any SEC svhools repped at pitcher. So I'm going to say that, wake SS asside, the league he's in is not full of top tier talent.

Well see what he's got next spring, maybe he's made a big jump maybe he's just striking out Fairfield hitters. There's not much point reading into summer stats either way

Homedawg
07-31-2023, 09:37 PM
All this is no doubt true. The issue is not that these guys are unable to improve. You can point to plenty of guys who were great but struggled initially. But you can point to more who just continued to struggle. And we do not have essentially anyone we know we can count on going into next year. We need EVERYONE, or at least quite a few, to take big jumps at the same time. Possible, but seems quite unlikely.

I'm not counting on all of them taking a jump. However, I find it hard to believe that none of them do. Which is basically what happpened last year. And we get auger and Simmons back. Auger was starting to be a guy before he got hurt in 22. We have legit arms in Holcombe, loo, and loftin. Loftin has never been a great strike thrower. Up down up down. But the potential is there. We will be better in the bump. How much? I don't know that more than you. Either way, we either win or lem is gone. Lem is here for 24 let's hope Parker makes them better or they have natural progression

Homedawg
07-31-2023, 09:40 PM
Found it.

https://pgcbl.com/2023-east-division-preview/

So teamates with Wakes SS, a Bama commit, and a guy from each of Maryland, Utah, and Pitt. The article mentions returning pitchers for his team (Mohawks) and they're from Fairfield, Cornell, Brown, and New Haven. Scanned down the article and didnt see any SEC svhools repped at pitcher. So I'm going to say that, wake SS asside, the league he's in is not full of top tier talent.

Well see what he's got next spring, maybe he's made a big jump maybe he's just striking out Fairfield hitters. There's not much point reading into summer stats either way

Stated in post above. ....

Coach34
07-31-2023, 10:22 PM
Keep this in mind- the guy people are losing their mind over losing, Holman , pitched 19 innings as a fr and didn't make a start until March this year!!!

Holman had a 5.68 ERA as a Freshman- throwing just 6.2 innings vs SEC teams allowing 4 earned runs. Made quite the jump as a Soph didnt he to Friday night SP?

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-01-2023, 08:26 AM
Holman had a 5.68 ERA as a Freshman- throwing just 6.2 innings vs SEC teams allowing 4 earned runs. Made quite the jump as a Soph didnt he to Friday night SP?

He did make quite the jump!

And how many others did Bama have make such a jump? Oh, it was just him? Most of the giys what sucked last year failed to turn into studs this year?

Again, big jumps are 100% possible. They're also the minority. So for Loftin/Loo/Holcombe/Siary/insert Fr here, we might get 1 "Holman" from them if we're lucky, maybe 2 more "solid reliever" type jumps from the rest, but the odds of us getting as many big jumps as we need are quite low.

For example, LSU has just as much -if not more- pure arm talent on their roster. Did Jay Johnson trust they'd make the jumps he needs? No- he went out and got Tulanes ace, Bamas ace, another Bama transfer, a highly thought of prospect from UCLA, and they tried to get Burns. Why all this bother? Because he knows he can't rely on existing guys making huge jumps.

SilentSteel16
08-01-2023, 08:47 AM
Bunch of y’all sound like the old guys at the gas station arguing about if it is going to rain or not…. If you are on the field as a true freshman, in the SEC, you will be a very solid performer for your career. Montgomery is a win if we get him, the more arms you get the better. Parker will be better than Fox. The rest is spilled milk. Hail State and have a great day.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-01-2023, 09:01 AM
Bunch of y’all sound like the old guys at the gas station arguing about if it is going to rain or not…. If you are on the field as a true freshman, in the SEC, you will be a very solid performer for your career. Montgomery is a win if we get him, the more arms you get the better. Parker will be better than Fox. The rest is spilled milk. Hail State and have a great day.

Bud if you put me on that mound I promise you I won't turn into a "very solid performer". We played guys we had no business playing due to lack of arms, not because those Fr forced themselves onto the field due to raw talent

SilentSteel16
08-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Bud if you put me on that mound I promise you I won't turn into a "very solid performer". We played guys we had no business playing due to lack of arms, not because those Fr forced themselves onto the field due to raw talent

But did you step foot on the mound?? Kind of a moot point there.

Fact of the matter is this, there is a MAJOR step up from HS to SEC ball, there will be a wall or hurdle every player has to get over to be successful in baseball with changing levels. There are exceptions but those are rare. The sooner you get guys on that field to get them to see that hurdle, the sooner they are over it and on the upside swing. If they aren’t that is what the transfer portal is for. You either GROW UP quick or you get out.

Whatever the reason for them being on the field does not change the fact they were on the field to realize they need to grow. They either will adjust and grow up or they will move on. This is not a bad situation to be in as a State fan. This year they saw the difference. They either make the jump or they don’t. Next year will be better or there will be massive personnel turnover in 25.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2023, 10:19 AM
Making a jump isn't the problem here. It's the number of guys we need to make that jump. By whiffing on pitchers for a couple years, we're in a spot that's got us relying on a lot of jumping. Some will, some won't. Then we've got the injured guys coming back who you never know about. Lots of "ifs". But, always know, this past season was the bottom. It was the absolute bottom.

Coach34
08-01-2023, 10:30 AM
Making a jump isn't the problem here. It's the number of guys we need to make that jump.

Well, we now have 5 guys with the talent to be a weekend SP. It's up to Parker now to get 3 of them ready.

We still lack LHP is my only real concern for 24

Cooterpoot
08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
I think we've got a lot of arms but little proven pitching. LH pitching is short.
We should score as much as the next team, so get that ERA to around 5 and we're good.

The Federalist Engineer
08-01-2023, 12:21 PM
Well, we now have 5 guys with the talent to be a weekend SP. It's up to Parker now to get 3 of them ready.

We still lack LHP is my only real concern for 24

LHP on Roster:

(1) Loftin - So
(2) CJ - but RH is more advanced than LH
(3) Tapper- So
(4) Cheetham- JR
(5) Tyler Davis - SR, transfer from VCU that had a bad year
(6) Lamb - Grad from D2, career starter
(7) Dotson -FR highly rated
(8) Nolan Stevens -FR is big hitter that also pitches
(9) Dane Burns -FR
(10) Reilly Byers -FR
(11) Pico Kohn- Injury Recovery

Coach34
08-01-2023, 12:35 PM
So basically Loftin and Tapper

KOdawg1
08-01-2023, 01:20 PM
So basically Loftin and Tapper
Nate Lamb was a pretty good D2 pitcher. Also had a decent summer as well. But yeah, Loftin, Tapper, and a bunch of freshman.

I'm surprised Cheatham didn't transfer out. I don't see him ever doing much here.

Coach34
08-01-2023, 01:41 PM
We certainly could have a freshman step up and give us 10 innings in SEC play. Need 3 pen lefty's at a minimum. Got to have them step up

Cowbell
08-01-2023, 03:49 PM
You almost have to figure one starter
going down to injury and 2 bullpen guys

SilentSteel16
08-01-2023, 04:16 PM

Well I guess it is safe to say ?the_real_MSU? won?t be giving us any quality innings out of the pen, so there goes that plan. With confidence like that, best to stay in the stands and sharpshoot the kids with actual ability to be on the field (or team) and criticize them for not being any good…Enter all the sarcastricks that you want!

Leroy Jenkins
08-01-2023, 04:37 PM
LHP on Roster:

(1) Loftin - So
(3) Tapper- So
(4) Cheetham- JR
(9) Dane Burns -FR
(10) Reilly Byers -FR

I'm holding out hope that Davis is better than he showed much of the season. He shut LSU down when he was on, scattered 2 hits over 4 innings and was cruising the whole time.

AlSwearengen
08-01-2023, 07:03 PM
I'm holding out hope that Davis is better than he showed much of the season. He shut LSU down when he was on, scattered 2 hits over 4 innings and was cruising the whole time.

This is the guy that I want to see what happens with. If he has a considerable amount of improvement, Foxhall needs to go coach high school ball somewhere. Davis should have been better than he was simply because he is an older guy that has experience and surely had some success previously. At State, he didn?t just struggle in the SEC, but struggled early in the year against weaker teams that he surely showed that he could handle when he was at VCU.

I haven?t looked up his numbers but if he sucked at VCU, how did he get to MSU? I don?t think he did.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-01-2023, 07:25 PM
I haven?t looked up his numbers but if he sucked at VCU, how did he get to MSU? I don?t think he did.

Let me introduce you to a guy named Von Seibert lol

Leroy Jenkins
08-01-2023, 07:40 PM

Hailstate.com

2022 (Sophomore Season – VCU)
Season: Helped guide the team to an Atlantic 10 Championship… Appeared in 17 games, including 15 starts… Compiled a 5-3 record with a 3.60 ERA… Struck out 63 batters in 60.0 innings, walking just 21 and limiting hitters to a .210 average… Struck out a career-high seven batters across four scoreless innings in his first career start against No. 24 Old Dominion on March 1.

I think, generally, if you average better than 1 k per inning and have a 3/1 K to BB ratio that's pretty good. Competition depending.

BrunswickDawg
08-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Guess C34 isn't the only one who sees light at the end of the tunnel....

https://twitter.com/collegeballnat/status/1686433368429219840?s=46&t=9frsdg7rvQdOlLgHO91_bA

Quaoarsking
08-01-2023, 08:06 PM

https://twitter.com/collegeballnat/status/1686433368429219840?s=46&t=9frsdg7rvQdOlLgHO91_bA

If we finish the year at #21 that's right at the borderline of firing Lemonis or not. There aren't anywhere close to 20 other programs who care as much as we do. While it's an improvement over the last 2 years, it's yet another year below what our baseline should be.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2023, 08:22 PM
That's 8th in the SEC. Nothing great about that unless there's a post season run.

The Federalist Engineer
08-01-2023, 08:41 PM
"College Baseball Nation"

Never heard of them, they may want MSU's vast fanbase as subscribers

"Clicks" is probably why they put LSU as #1 and the real #1 at #7. Lots of LSU fans too.

bulldogcountry1
08-02-2023, 07:23 AM
LHP on Roster:

(1) Loftin - So
(3) Tapper- So
(4) Cheetham- JR
(9) Dane Burns -FR
(10) Reilly Byers -FR

Should be enough to expect 1 or 2 to be able to step up and be that LH matchup guy that we haven't had in a while.

maroonmania
08-02-2023, 10:37 AM
That's 8th in the SEC. Nothing great about that unless there's a post season run.

If we jump from 2 years of not making Hoover to finishing the year ranked #21 as a high 2 seed somewhere Lemonis will survive. It's still not where we want to be but thats a huge positive jump from where we've been.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-02-2023, 11:08 AM
If we jump from 2 years of not making Hoover to finishing the year ranked #21 as a high 2 seed somewhere Lemonis will survive. It's still not where we want to be but thats a huge positive jump from where we've been.

Agreed on all counts.

Sadly, our incoming recruiting will begin to take a dive due to those players having commited during 2 years of no Hoover vs the current incoming classes that saw us win a Natty. And in 25 we will be replacing Jordan, Hines, the new 3B transfer, Hujesak (only a loss IF he pans out like many here say), and Larry. On the mound well lose the transfers we're counting on plus a couple of the current Fr some here are expecting to be starters next year.

So, my prediction is that in '24 we'll be just good enough to save Lemo, but down again in '25 and he'll be fired then. The next coach will have to overcome a couple mediocre recruiting classes that he wouldn't have had to if we replaced Lemo in '23.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2023, 12:17 PM
Agreed on all counts.

Sadly, our incoming recruiting will begin to take a dive due to those players having commited during 2 years of no Hoover vs the current incoming classes that saw us win a Natty. And in 25 we will be replacing Jordan, Hines, the new 3B transfer, Hujesak (only a loss IF he pans out like many here say), and Larry. On the mound well lose the transfers we're counting on plus a couple of the current Fr some here are expecting to be starters next year.

So, my prediction is that in '24 we'll be just good enough to save Lemo, but down again in '25 and he'll be fired then. The next coach will have to overcome a couple mediocre recruiting classes that he wouldn't have had to if we replaced Lemo in '23.

That's not necessarily the case. According to Perfect Game, our '24 class is #12 (11 commits) and '25 is #13 (9 commits). That is above mediocre - but like Football, it is behind a number of "have's" in the SEC. We will need to add to it - and there is a whole lot time between now and then. If anything, the right hire can build on that if needed.

Coach34
08-02-2023, 12:23 PM

He makes the Tourney in 24 and his job is likely safe unless it’s a 3 seed somewhere and an 0-2 Tourney. The thing is- if you make the Tourney as an SEC team- there is very little chance of being a 3 seed.

Homedawg
08-02-2023, 01:18 PM
If we finish number 21 in the country as a 2 seed, which is 5 spots out of hosting, there is ZERO chance he gets canned. If you think that, well I can't help you.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-02-2023, 01:20 PM
That's not necessarily the case. According to Perfect Game, our '24 class is #12 (11 commits) and '25 is #13 (9 commits). That is above mediocre - but like Football, it is behind a number of "have's" in the SEC. We will need to add to it - and there is a whole lot time between now and then. If anything, the right hire can build on that if needed.

Recruiting g is mostly done 2-3 years out. The '24 class commited during the NC season, the '25 was still before Lemo was truly on the "hot seat". The classes after that will be kids who looked at a team missing Hoover coached by a guy on a very hot seat and said "yeah. I want to go there". Hard to get elite players that could easily pick UF, Vandy, or Arky instead

Cooterpoot
08-02-2023, 01:49 PM

Oh, he will. But he shouldn't receive an extension either. I think a lot has to play out. Let's see how things go. The only unknown left this off-season is Montgomery and that's probably a good situation for anyway. Looonnnggg way til spring.

confucius say
08-02-2023, 01:57 PM
Oh, he will. But he shouldn't receive an extension either. I think a lot has to play out. Let's see how things go. The only unknown left this off-season is Montgomery and that's probably a good situation for anyway. Looonnnggg way til spring.

I'd say extend without any additional buyout. Just for appearances and to help recruiting.

Cooterpoot
08-02-2023, 02:25 PM
I'd say extend without any additional buyout. Just for appearances and to help recruiting.

Yeh, that buyout can't go up. But I wouldn't go the 4 years on it either. You want that 4 years, get us to a super. It's easy to get a 2 seed in the SEC if you make post season.

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2023, 03:18 PM

We cant say the football polls not respecting us but then wave these around to make us feel better. There is no reason for us to be ranked.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-02-2023, 07:17 PM
We cant say the football polls not respecting us but then wave these around to make us feel better. There is no reason for us to be ranked.

Football amd Baseball are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum for us. We get slightly too much national attention in baseball and not nearly enough in football

99jc
08-02-2023, 08:30 PM
We are ranked and the Rebs are not this must be a mistake

smootness
08-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Football amd Baseball are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum for us. We get slightly too much national attention in baseball and not nearly enough in football

I think that is the point.

Goldendawg
08-02-2023, 09:56 PM

Yeah, it's like we, like all schools are sky high when a commitment is highly ranked, but if we disagree or he is re-ranked lower then rankings mean nothing. Kind of like when we lose a recruit, "we didn't want him anyway".***

Coach34
08-02-2023, 10:08 PM
There is no reason for us to be ranked.

Alot of these polls are looking at the number of draftable players teams have going into 24.

Absolutely will be drafted- Jordan, Hines, Loo, Holcombe, Dohm, Simmons, (Montgomery should he come aboard)- that would be 7 draftees. Tenn was 2nd in the SEC this year with 8 draftees. 3 other teams had 7- UPig, Candy, and A&M

Possible draftees- Larry, Ligon, Auger, Hugesak, Kohler

We dont lack for talent or experience going into 24. Need to land Montgomery and we should be back where we need to be

Goldendawg
08-02-2023, 10:17 PM
My source heard Montgomery stays at Stanford. Hope he's wrong and we get him. Hail State!

TNDawg35
08-02-2023, 10:55 PM
My source heard Montgomery stays at Stanford. Hope he's wrong and we get him. Hail State!

Is your source the LSU guy on Twitter? There is a video of one of their media guys saying they are done in the portal and because of that Montgomery is going back to Stanford.

I will say, he is taking way too long and should have already announced it he was actually coming here.

basedog
08-03-2023, 07:26 AM
I don't think he is coming to StarkVegas, I think he goes back to Stanford. I hope you sunshine pumpers are correct in saying we are going to be good once again. Things I heard from the last year doesn't give me the "ray of hope". I've never ever felt this way about baseball at Msu. But I feel really good with football and both basketball programs.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-03-2023, 08:34 AM
I don't think he is coming to StarkVegas, I think he goes back to Stanford. I hope you sunshine pumpers are correct in saying we are going to be good once again. Things I heard from the last year doesn't give me the "ray of hope". I've never ever felt this way about baseball at Msu. But I feel really good with football and both basketball programs.

Agreed on all counts. The justified optimism for the other sports really highlights how far our baseball program has sunk

And I see this baseball optimism for next as unjustified. Lemo failed epically in '22, then failed epically again in '23. "But we fired Foxhall!", "but Hines and Jordan will be studs!" Yeah, those are true. And there were good excuses made for the '21 season too: "well we got hit woth a ton of injuries, '23 will have better luck", "the team took a victory lap after winning the Natty, getting their asses kicked this year will light a fire for '23", "Lemo knows hes used up his goodwill and will work hard to fix us" etc etc. Hard not to see "Holcombe is too talented not to cut his ERA in half next year" in the same light

NWADAWG
08-03-2023, 08:42 AM

If he does stay at Stanford, a repeat of them losing to us in a super at Dudy would be top shelf stuff to watch.

Coach34
08-03-2023, 09:10 AM
I was sent a list of top 10 returning pitchers in the country for 24 based on stuff/spin rates and such.

Dohm was at 8
Holcombe was 10th

State, LSU, and Wake had 6 of the top 10 returnees

Homedawg
08-03-2023, 09:30 AM

This is a possibility. A real one.

Saltydog
08-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's taking WAY too long. Another blow to bucket boy.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-03-2023, 11:02 AM
I was sent a list of top 10 returning pitchers in the country for 24 based on stuff/spin rates and such.

Dohm was at 8
Holcombe was 10th

State, LSU, and Wake had 6 of the top 10 returnees

Not sure what your point is. Dohm's fastball has nomovement and got hit in SEC play, Holcombe can't locate.

They're on the long list of guys who have SEC stuff, but need to improve. Obviously Holcombe more than Dohm. We simply need a very high % of our talented guys to make said improvements and that's statistically unlikely

Mjoelner34
08-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Delete

DownwardDawg
08-03-2023, 11:08 AM
I understand completely. Especially since you had a family member living his dream by playing for State and this coach ruined that experience for him and the entire family. I get it.

Coach34
08-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Not sure what your point is. Dohm's fastball has no movement and got hit in SEC play, Holcombe can't locate.

The point is that you and others have kept trying to point out that we lack talent. I've constantly pointed out that we do have the talent and in 24 it will be more mature and ready for SEC baseball. Guys like Dohm and Holcombe being rated among the top 10 in the country just support my position.

SpaceWranglerDawg
08-03-2023, 12:03 PM

Former player, current donor states he's been told he is staying at Stanford. No clue if he knows what he's talking about or not, but he knows more than me. Just passing along.

Coach34
08-03-2023, 12:08 PM
I understand completely. Especially since you had a family member living his dream by playing for State and this coach ruined that experience for him and the entire family. I get it.

Arent we going overboard just a little bit here? While Cade's Soph and Jr seasons werent successful team wise- Cade is leaving Starkville with the only national title in State history and was drafted into pro ball with a decent paycheck to get started in life. Hard to say his college experience was "ruined". Cade played in the same number of College World Series as Palmeiro and Clark

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-03-2023, 12:18 PM
The point is that you and others have kept trying to point out that we lack talent. I've constantly pointed out that we do have the talent and in 24 it will be more mature and ready for SEC baseball. Guys like Dohm and Holcombe being rated among the top 10 in the country just support my position.

1) nobody has said we lack talent. In fact, I've used our routine top 15 recruiting rankings against Lemo as he can't even make Hoover with said talent. He underperforms.

2) these 2 guys are not top 10 pitchers. They may have the potential to be, but they literally arent aren't top 50 right now as far as actual pitching is concerned.

3) I don't deny we'll be better next year. I deny Lemo is the best man for the job

DEDawg
08-03-2023, 12:22 PM
Former player, current donor states he's been told he is staying at Stanford. No clue if he knows what he's talking about or not, but he knows more than me. Just passing along.
This is so Mississippi state. Serious question, have we ever had one of these ?secret commits?, ?its coming?, ?not announced yet? things work for us in any sport?

Homedawg
08-03-2023, 01:11 PM
This is so Mississippi state. Serious question, have we ever had one of these ?secret commits?, ?its coming?, ?not announced yet? things work for us in any sport?

He was never secretly committed. It was known he was entering the portal. His parents, mother want him back closer. Not sure if that's what Braden really wants. We shall see. We had a really good visit w him at the cape...... obviously we want him.

basedog
08-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Arent we going overboard just a little bit here? While Cade's Soph and Jr seasons werent successful team wise- Cade is leaving Starkville with the only national title in State history and was drafted into pro ball with a decent paycheck to get started in life. Hard to say his college experience was "ruined". Cade played in the same number of College World Series as Palmeiro and Clark

Cade loves Msu, he told scouts in High School he was going to Msu. Here is the deal, Cade missed 6 weeks of the start of his freshmen year, when he came back he did very well at the end of the season. His Junior year, he also missed a month with sickness or illness, IF he would have been healthy his entire time at Msu, I believe he would have been even better. So, he mostly pitched against Sec teams in his career. In saying this, after being out a while it akes a few games or weeks to get back in shape, his overall stats aren't all that bad considering.
Very proud of him, he is such a great young man, he will be successful in whatever the future holds for him.
Ok, I'm done, LOL!

Cowbell
08-03-2023, 01:41 PM
If we don't land Montgomery, I see no reason to keep Lemonis any longer.

The Federalist Engineer
08-03-2023, 01:47 PM
Now that the portal thing is about wrapped, who were the secret commits?

No judgement on the rumor creator, just asking. Maybe they secretly decommited.

At least no player we wanted to keep left.

Homedawg
08-03-2023, 02:21 PM
Now that the portal thing is about wrapped, who were the secret commits?

No judgement on the rumor creator, just asking. Maybe they secretly decommited.

At least no player we wanted to keep left.

There weren't any

Homedawg
08-03-2023, 02:22 PM

We will if we aren't in a regional in 24. Ain't happening now.

Cowbell
08-03-2023, 02:43 PM
We will if we aren't in a regional in 24. Ain't happening now.

I agree - this just shows that we are dead in the water barring a miracle

State82
08-03-2023, 03:31 PM

Well, it is not like he had quit school at Stanford and was actively searching for a new school to transfer into. It is disappointing that we had a shot at maybe landing him but we did not lose him to LSU, Vandy, UT, etc. Hard to blame Lemonis for not getting a player who just decided to stay at his present school. Had he actually transferred some other place then I would have been pissed.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-03-2023, 04:16 PM
Well, it is not like he had quit school at Stanford and was actively searching for a new school to transfer into. It is disappointing that we had a shot at maybe landing him but we did not lose him to LSU, Vandy, UT, etc. Hard to blame Lemonis for not getting a player who just decided to stay at his present school. Had he actually transferred some other place then I would have been pissed.

Fair enough on Montgomery, but it's not like he's the only good player to transfer this year. LSU got a .375 OF from Aizona, for example. And let's not get started on the pitching

State82
08-03-2023, 06:00 PM
Fair enough on Montgomery, but it's not like he's the only good player to transfer this year. LSU got a .375 OF from Aizona, for example. And let's not get started on the pitching

Oh no doubt. Just referring to Montgomery. The rest of the debacle rates about a C minus.

Goldendawg
08-03-2023, 07:20 PM

One thing that bothers me in the expecting/hoping/needing theory that our young players will make a big jump up in 2024 is that the 13/12 teams who finished in the SEC ahead of us in the last two yers are expecting the same in 2024 and many made the "Honor Roll" in the portal vs the C- given above to Coach Lemonis. I too, am hoping for the best. Hail State!

CaptainObvious
08-03-2023, 08:42 PM

Or maybe he didn?t get asked to transfer to the school of his choice (which wasn?t State) so he decided to just stay in the land of opportunity.

Hmmmm. Sorry mama. Just too many things to do out here in Fruitcake Land!

Coach34
08-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Or maybe he didn?t get asked to transfer to the school of his choice (which wasn?t State) so he decided to just stay in the land of opportunity. !

Well he was asked to transfer to LSU and A&M as well as us- so not sure why you would even post that ridiculousness

CaptainObvious
08-03-2023, 09:52 PM
Well he was asked to transfer to LSU and A&M as well as us- so not sure why you would even post that ridiculousness

So he was ?asked? by those 3? My point was (maybe) ?State? wasn?t his school of choice. It has been pointed out that LSU has already gotten outfielders in the portal. ?Maybe? LSU has a crowded outfield and he decided not to transfer there and the other two you mentioned wanted him but he didn?t want them. Or ?maybe? (there?s that word again) his preferred destination didn?t offer him. ?Maybe? he still ends up at MSU or LSU.

Homedawg
08-03-2023, 09:56 PM
So he was ?asked? by those 3? My point was (maybe) ?State? wasn?t his school of choice. It has been pointed out that LSU has already gotten outfielders in the portal. ?Maybe? LSU has a crowded outfield and he decided not to transfer there and the other two you mentioned wanted him but he didn?t want them. Or ?maybe? (there?s that word again) his preferred destination didn?t offer him. ?Maybe? he still ends up at MSU or LSU.

Do you really believe what you just typed?? Are you bored? Let me just say this, whoever his preferred destination might be, they didn't say no. How bout that.

RisperDawg
08-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Do you really believe what you just typed?? Are you bored? Let me just say this, whoever his preferred destination might be, they didn't say no. How bout that.

I assume, based on the repeated use of "?" in his post, that he must be as skeptical as you.

Pancho
08-03-2023, 10:57 PM
let Lemo keep flopping around. He's a decent PR man but that's about it.

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2023, 09:36 AM
So this is the Portal Class, not counting the 3 silent commitments, as of 8/4/23

(1) RHP - Karson Ligon - JR from Miami - Was a Miami Weekend Starter and Marquee Recruit. 126 Innings of experience. Will probably be a weekend starter for us. Maybe Friday.
(2) 3B - Kohler - SR from Memphis/Oklahoma - Was an OU recruit, transferred to Memphis, better hitting and fielding than E5. Will probably start at 3B and actually has similar pre-MSU numbers as RJ Yeager and Colton Ledbetter
(3) RHP - Khale Stephen - JR From Purdue - Was a Friday Starter for Purdue. 109 Innings of experience. Showed great improvement from Freshman to Sophomore.
(4) LHP - Nate Lamb - Grad from D2 - Was a Clemson high-end recruit, transferred down to D3/JC then D2. Has been a workhorse in D2 as a starter. 23-years old with +200 innings of experience. Has dropped his K:BB ratio from 1:1, to 2:1, to 3:1. Unknown wildcard, almost like Roy Hobbs coming to save the New York Knights. Like he went to Clemson and got mixed up with Harriett Bird. Adding to the mystery, he committed when MSU had no PC.
(5) C -Long - SR from Pitt. Backup Catcher

Then 3 JC pitchers that Todd says are probably good.

Outside of the portal class but related:

(1) Lost as expected - Aaron Nixon, but not to the draft.
(2) Kept as not expected - Amani Larry
(3) No good or decent players left the program, that's very positive.

CaptainObvious
08-04-2023, 10:32 AM

You didn?t get it either. I?m saying he may NOT want to be at MSU!

Like the football player who made the hat pick of Florida with his mom sitting next to him wearing an ALABAMA shirt and she got mad and got up and left. I have heard that Stanford is pretty good at baseball and have witnessed that MSU sucked at it the past two years. State May not be his preference.

Coach34
08-04-2023, 12:33 PM
You didn?t get it either. I?m saying he may NOT want to be at MSU!

Like the football player who made the hat pick of Florida with his mom sitting next to him wearing an ALABAMA shirt and she got mad and got up and left. I have heard that Stanford is pretty good at baseball and have witnessed that MSU sucked at it the past two years. State May not be his preference.

But here's the thing- all of this got started because he thought he may want to play closer to home, play with his buddy Hines, and his family wants him closer to home. Lemon didnt randomly pick a good Stanford OF'er to try to recruit. It's also the reason he listed "do not contact" for teams in the portal when he entered it.

Saltydog
08-04-2023, 12:40 PM
Well, lost out on Holman and Montgomery too from all indications. Good news is we may still have a shot at Muscara. Yeah, maybe he can be bucket boys replacement.

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2023, 12:58 PM
Montgomery in Cape Cod

Hitting: +340 with 1 HR in 54 ABs (Hines hitting 260 and 13 HR in 150 ABs)

Pitching: 9.00 ERA in 3 Innings with 6 Walks and 6 Ks.

Yarmouth Dennis (the Hunter Hines team) plays Brewster in playoffs this weekend. The season is done tomorrow or Sunday if they lose the series. If they play on to the Championship, the season ends on 8/12/23.

https://ydredsox.com/

Coach34
08-04-2023, 01:04 PM
Montgomery in Cape Cod

Hitting: +340 with 1 HR in 54 ABs (Hines hitting 260 and 13 HR in 150 ABs)

Pitching: 9.00 ERA in 3 Innings with 6 Walks and 6 Ks.

Yarmouth Dennis (the Hunter Hines team) plays Brewster in playoffs this weekend. The season is done tomorrow or Sunday if they lose the series. If they play on to the Championship, the season ends on 8/12/23.

https://ydredsox.com/

and this is why he hasnt made an announcement yet. He is on his timetable- not yours

CaptainObvious
08-04-2023, 01:04 PM
But here's the thing- all of this got started because he thought he may want to play closer to home, play with his buddy Hines, and his family wants him closer to home. Lemon didnt randomly pick a good Stanford OF'er to try to recruit. It's also the reason he listed "do not contact" for teams in the portal when he entered it.

And MAYBE we get Montgomery. I have used MAYBE at least a dozen times in this conversation.

It ain?t over til it?s over.

The fat lady hasn?t sung yet.

Baseball is 50% mental and 90% physical or however Yogi said it.

CaptainObvious
08-04-2023, 01:09 PM
I assume, based on the repeated use of "?" in his post, that he must be as skeptical as you.

Well I haven?t figured out how this site makes quotation marks into question marks. But I am skeptical. Ever since I ran into Lemonis in a restaurant/ bar in Little Rock in fall of 2021 and asked if he was there recruiting and he said no, I?m playing golf, and then we had the 2 seasons we just had, I determined the 1 Championship was enough for him.

State82
08-04-2023, 02:00 PM
Well I haven?t figured out how this site makes quotation marks into question marks. But I am skeptical. Ever since I ran into Lemonis in a restaurant/ bar in Little Rock in fall of 2021 and asked if he was there recruiting and he said no, I?m playing golf, and then we had the 2 seasons we just had, I determined the 1 Championship was enough for him.

Wrong answer to that question from Lemonis. All he had to say was, "We are always recruiting no matter the time of year. Unfortunately, I cannot comment or discuss anything regarding it." When you are pulling down a mil and a quarter every year to coach baseball at this level you better at least portray the idea that you are constantly on the job in some form or fashion whether you are or not.

3dawgnight15
08-04-2023, 02:37 PM
He?s been spending a lot of time practicing for the upcoming 3-man at SCC

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Wrong answer to that question from Lemonis. All he had to say was, "We are always recruiting no matter the time of year. Unfortunately, I cannot comment or discuss anything regarding it." When you are pulling down a mil and a quarter every year to coach baseball at this level you better at least portray the idea that you are constantly on the job in some form or fashion whether you are or not.

I bet Van Horne is always recruiting and we know that Vitello is always recruiting.

When you hear Van Horne talk, it's through the prism of talent acquisition. Of course, neither DVH or Vitello has a ring. Has to rip at their soul.

Cooterpoot
08-04-2023, 04:12 PM
Nothing has changed with Montgomery. We're still where we've been the whole time. We'll find out next week.

SPMT
08-04-2023, 06:59 PM

Totally agree. It?s crystal clear he is not a ?top? recruiter. Inability to capitalize on on Nc is a glaring red flag.

SPMT
08-04-2023, 07:04 PM
(3) No good or decent players left the program, that's very positive.[/QUOTE]

Positive, but we had less than a handful to worry about. Woefully pathetic high school recruiting classes.

Coach34
08-04-2023, 07:09 PM
Totally agree. It?s crystal clear he is not a ?top? recruiter. Inability to capitalize on on Nc is a glaring red flag.

Actually he has. His 1st recruiting class (2022) after the Natty was 5th in the county. His 2023 class is 9th

Our primary leaders for 2022 and 2023 were from previous classes

I will say our pitching acquisitions out of the portal have been lacking. That's where he and his staff have failed so far

Goldendawg
08-04-2023, 07:13 PM
Nothing has changed with Montgomery. We're still where we've been the whole time. We'll find out next week.

Did we recruit him out of HS? How did he end up at Stanford, academics & baseball?

KOdawg1
08-04-2023, 07:20 PM
Braden is being rumored to A&M. Should've fired the fat 17er back in May.

This portal class is a complete bust filled with mediocrity. Friday night starter? Nope. Top 15 pick next year with major connections to our roster? Nope. Just a decent pitcher, a ok-ish third baseman from a crappy baseball conference, a project from the Big10, a backup catcher, and a D2 pitcher.

What a joke.

StarkVegasSteve
08-04-2023, 07:21 PM
And MAYBE we get Montgomery. I have used MAYBE at least a dozen times in this conversation.

It ain?t over til it?s over.

The fat lady hasn?t sung yet.

Baseball is 50% mental and 90% physical or however Yogi said it.

If Steve Sunshine Pumper Robertson is posting what he posted then it is curtains. He gives this staff every excuse and break there is and even he cannot turn this one

AlSwearengen
08-04-2023, 07:54 PM
Do we have confirmation that Montgomery is going to A&M? I got a text that gene’s is in full melt down over it.

Cowbell
08-04-2023, 08:08 PM
If Steve Sunshine Pumper Robertson is posting what he posted then it is curtains. He gives this staff every excuse and break there is and even he cannot turn this one

Steve don't know jack

BigDawg81
08-04-2023, 08:13 PM
Steve don't know jack If Steve is saying Texas A&M, it?s Texas A&M. He is the biggest sunshine pumper.

Goldendawg
08-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Steve don't know jack

I did enjoy their (free) article yesterday congratulating Kamron Beavers on making the Clarion Liar Dandy Dozen and pointing out he was a strong OM commit.******

Cooterpoot
08-04-2023, 09:17 PM
He gone. He went to A&M on a visit immediately after season. There's a connection that set it up. Lemonis is who we thought he was. A damn bum!

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-04-2023, 09:25 PM
Actually he has. His 1st recruiting class (2022) after the Natty was 5th in the county. His 2023 class is 12th

I will say our pitching acquisitions out of the portal have been lacking. That's where he and his staff have failed so far

"Where Lemo and his staff have failed SO FAR"?? I'd say missing Hoover 2x is a failure. Oh that's right, Lemo and Goat and Cheese aren't part of the staff. All blame for back to back season failures falls on the pitching coach

And no, getting good recruiting classes is not "capitalizing" on the NC. Winning is "capitalizing". Getting good recruits is part of winning but ultimate you have to actually win.

Lemo has been here 5 years, going into year 6. That means this past season had 3 Lemo classes. As you accurahave pointed out, most baseball players are gone in 3-4 years due to the draft. So that means 23 WAS Lemos team. Missing Hoover with Lemos own recruits is not a theory of what will happen, its factual history of what has happened.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-04-2023, 09:40 PM
He gone. He went to A&M on a visit immediately after season. There's a connection that set it up. Lemonis is who we thought he was. A damn bum!

If only we had evidence before this Portal class Lemo wasn't the guy for the job! Maybe something historically bad, like missing Hoover in back to back years. Dont worry, I'm sure year 6 is the key. You're just short sited and don't know what's best for State baseball

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2023, 09:41 PM

Wasn't Lemons on the phone everyday with Montgomery and his Mom?

Everyday?

If this true, LSU-Arkansas-Texas A&M-Auburn are all ahead right now. MSU-Alabama-Ole Miss are fighting for that last ticket to Hoover. Lemons might as well start selling his house.

SPMT
08-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Actually he has. His 1st recruiting class (2022) after the Natty was 5th in the county. His 2023 class is 9th

Come on dude!

I will walk back, eat crow, whatever if we make a regional. But recruiting rankings are meaningless if they don?t translate to above the bar performance. We are not good and I do believe part of this is on the university/fans, etc. The very first NC ever, I imagine for many, they kind of breathed a sigh of relief. I get that.

However, why not truly capitalize on it. Go all out and close guys. I just don?t see evidence that our staff are hard working compared to other sports or say UT.

I hope and pray he gets back to being the guy, but I don?t have that confidence currently.

SPMT
08-04-2023, 10:02 PM
If only we had evidence before this Portal class Lemo wasn't the guy for the job! Maybe something historically bad, like missing Hoover in back to back years. Dont worry, I'm sure year 6 is the key. You're just short sited and don't know what's best for State baseball

I’m with you. Even more concerned with the culture issue than even the lack of talent compared to top peers. Cohen had some untalented teams perhaps, but being entitled to was not a concern.

When former players say the team: 1. Is entitled and has been the last two years at least and 2. Aren’t talented enough compared to peers, I listen.

Cowbell
08-04-2023, 11:46 PM
Look. We should never. And I mean never. Lose a baseball player to the cult unless it is purely being out-bid. I live not too far from CS and would much rather live in Starkville. Heck even the experts thought he was headed here. This explains why he hasn't announced. He didn't want Hines pissed at him.
Lemonis needs to be shown the door. The way the season went. Followed by the drug out PC search (yes we have forgotten about that already). And then not picking up anyone great out of the portal. There are SEC level pitchers still enrolled in lessor programs that would come here if we knew how to handle business.

Pancho
08-05-2023, 05:14 AM
All we can do now is wait and hope.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-05-2023, 07:02 AM
The 2 transfers that are committed are not going to announce until after Team USA is done playing which is the 14th of July I believe. One assumes it is Montgomery and Holman.

Aged like fine milk

Leeshouldveflanked
08-05-2023, 08:04 AM
A&M recruited Montgomery while he was in High School, MSU didnt. Very poor evaluation more than anything else.

TNDawg35
08-05-2023, 08:25 AM
So do we actually have confirmation that’s where he is going or we all just melting over a visit to A&M? Did y’all think he wasn’t gonna take any visits or anything?

The Federalist Engineer
08-05-2023, 10:57 AM
The "Elite" Recruiter

If you take away the SEC, Dudy Nobel, MSU Tradition of Winning, Canns/Cohen/Henderson 2021 players ....

Seems Lemons is a very marginal recruiter compared to what even Bohanon would haul with Lemonis' advantages. He has a career 10-33 record versus SEC power teams. He is not a peer to Vitello, Van Horn, or Corbin. Probably Van Horne and Vitello consider MSU like near gimme Sweeps, even in Starkville.

Coach34
08-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Be Good or Be Gone in 24

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-05-2023, 11:30 AM
Depends on what we land in the portal. If we get Montgomery he will help in the OF and potentially on the mound as well. As it is we've simply filled our holes for the most part outside of getting an elite Friday night starting pitcher. Of course, we're still working on the portal at this time.

Again- I don't think people really fathom just how bad we were on the mound. So a lot of fans have assumed that our pitchers just suck. It was really an issue of the pitchers being asked to pitch in a way a lot of them could not, leaving pitchers in way too long, and just not developing them as individual players. I'm not sure how we had a winning record- that's probably more of a testament to the talent we actually do have. Our pitching coach was essentially the equivalent of Peter Sirmon as a pitching coach. I think how we handled our staff may have contributed to some of the injuries we've had- not Tommy John- the ones where a guy is out for a couple of weeks here and there.

But if we get Montgomery to go along with Hines and Dakota and then add in a legit Friday night guy we're going to probably see a jump similar to what we saw from 2015 to 2016. And we could probably accomplish that by getting our team ERA on the season down to 5.00 which is not great. If Parker gets us in the 4's we're going to have a very good year. And that's really not a stretch at all.

Todd, we didn't get Montgomery and we didn't get the Friday guy.

What's your updated outlook for next year?

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-05-2023, 11:45 AM
Would be a waste of a scholarship. He's not good. We basically have everything riding on one pitcher. Which honestly, is another recruiting blunder but here we are. Get Holman, nobody cares. If not, woof.

Well said.

The Federalist Engineer
08-05-2023, 12:08 PM
FWIW

Aggies were saying that BMs dad was in CS 2/3 weeks ago and that he was signing then.

Maybe Schloss is signing the Dad and Lemons the Mom.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3386919/0#discussion

Really Clark?
08-05-2023, 12:12 PM
FWIW

Aggies were saying that BMs dad was in CS 2/3 weeks ago and that he was signing then.

He is full of it, there is no signing for a transfer. They just enroll into the school.

Cowbell
08-05-2023, 12:17 PM
FWIW

Is his dad a preacher ***

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-05-2023, 12:21 PM
Be Good or Be Gone in 24

"Lemonizick" should have been "good or gone" in 23. Which you agreed with (thus the nickname) till it was clear the AD was going to keep him for '24. Then you became the biggest optimist for next year on the entire board

Pancho
08-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Cohen got us a dud on the diamond

JoseBrown
08-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Cohen got us a dud on the diamond

That was the oddest coaching search we’ve done, no wonder we got what we did.

Coach34
08-05-2023, 05:22 PM
"Lemonizick" should have been "good or gone" in 23. Which you agreed with (thus the nickname) till it was clear the AD was going to keep him for '24. Then you became the biggest optimist for next year on the entire board

Look- I'm not a Lemon supporter and dont know if he will save his job- but I thought he deserved 1 more shot after winning a title. If he cant get it done with all the talent we have this coming Spring? Fire his ass. If he doesnt turn it around in 24- he 100% is Lemonizik

DEDawg
08-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Montgomery officially gone?

Mjoelner34
08-05-2023, 06:14 PM
.... I thought he deserved 1 more shot after winning a title.

I did too except this is how I felt after the 22 season. Improving from 14th in the SEC to 13th this should have gotten him canned 5 minutes after the last out of the season.

Coach34
08-05-2023, 06:29 PM
Montgomery officially gone?

No. Family wants him at State. He has some baseball connections pulling him toward College Station. We shall see.

But if we don’t pull him- it’s a 100% fail by Lemon with his job on the line.

AlSwearengen
08-05-2023, 08:22 PM
Family wants him at State, half his hs team is at State. I think a former hs coach is at A&M in some capacity, if i have my stories straight.

Someone needs to show him the video of schlosneagle complaining about their fans. Lemonis needs all the help he can get recruiting this guy.

State82
08-05-2023, 08:27 PM
Random question. Is this the longest thread in ED history?

DEDawg
08-05-2023, 08:51 PM
I think some of the football recruiting ones hit 120 pages

Patrick Tibbons
08-05-2023, 08:55 PM

Pretty said there is a 72 page thread about the baseball transfer portal, and State has gained no one of note through said portal.

Cowbell
08-05-2023, 09:18 PM
Pretty said there is a 72 page thread about the baseball transfer portal, and State has gained no one of note through said portal.

This is not false

Leroy Jenkins
08-05-2023, 09:25 PM

If we had picked up every player in the damn portal the thread would be about 7 pages.

BuckyIsAB****
08-05-2023, 09:32 PM
We are seeing what Moorhead would have looked like if we kept him

TNDawg35
08-05-2023, 09:54 PM
So for us people who just want to know about Montgomery and not read all the whining and bitching,

He is done at the Cape, he went on a visit it A&M. He hasn’t committed anywhere, his family want him at State, his teammates from HS want him at State, he played with Hines all summer, and he has an ex coach at A&M who is playing back channels.

Did I miss anything?

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-05-2023, 10:08 PM
So for us people who just want to know about Montgomery and not read all the whining and bitching,

He is done at the Cape, he went on a visit it A&M. He hasn’t committed anywhere, his family want him at State, his teammates from HS want him at State, he played with Hines all summer, and he has an ex coach at A&M who is playing back channels.

Did I miss anything?

Yes. You missed the fact Montgomery himself doesn't want to come here, or he'd have already commited.

CaptainObvious
08-05-2023, 11:07 PM
Yes. You missed the fact Montgomery himself doesn't want to come here, or he'd have already commited.

You forgot to add that more than half of us wanted Lemoorheadray gone BEFORE the 2023 Portal debacle, but like our 25 plus year Baseball Season Ticket holders who aren?t invested emotionally, just financially, we are stuck with the bucket loving head coach who backed into a NC.

Pancho
08-06-2023, 06:21 AM
Who is his ex coach who is now at A&M? His high school HC is still at MC today. Just wondering since I've never heard that info.

99jc
08-06-2023, 07:23 AM
You forgot to add that more than half of us wanted Lemoorheadray gone BEFORE the 2023 Portal debacle, but like our 25 plus year Baseball Season Ticket holders who aren?t invested emotionally, just financially, we are stuck with the bucket loving head coach who backed into a NC.

Truth!

AlSwearengen
08-06-2023, 09:00 AM
Who is his ex coach who is now at A&M? His high school HC is still at MC today. Just wondering since I've never heard that info.

I probably don’t have the story 100% correct b/c i was more focused on the fact that i was being told he was going to A&M. It could have been a coach that had been at Stanford, but i am pretty sure it was a coach of some type that he had a previous relationship with. I’m sure there are some here that have the accurate story.

Jacksondevildog
08-06-2023, 09:06 AM
Chuck Box is at A&M. He coached at Jackson Prep and Hartield Academy. Montgomery went to Germantown High School then transferred to Madison Central. Box never coached him, unless there was some summer league competition somewhere.

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 09:31 AM
Chuck Box is at A&M. He coached at Jackson Prep and Hartield Academy. Montgomery went to Germantown High School then transferred to Madison Central. Box never coached him, unless there was some summer league competition somewhere.

Chuck box isn't the reason Montgomery is being pulled to A&M. That's way overstated.

msstate7
08-06-2023, 10:12 AM
We are seeing what Moorhead would have looked like if we kept him

We deserve to suck. If there is one sport where we shouldn't accept losing, it's baseball. We had back-to back total trash seasons, and we brought the architect back.

Really Clark?
08-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Chuck box isn't the reason Montgomery is being pulled to A&M. That's way overstated.

Beyond overstated. If you list the Top 10 reasons he's choosing TAM, Chuck is number 27.

Jacksondevildog
08-06-2023, 11:18 AM

I was not stating that he was the reason. I was responding to who the coach at A&M was with Mississippi ties.

TheLostDawg
08-06-2023, 11:34 AM
We deserve to suck. If there is one sport where we shouldn't accept losing, it's baseball. We had back-to back total trash seasons, and we brought the architect back.

Yeah but at had to bring him back for *recruiting.. who cares three years from now we're going to be in a hole because keeping him so long

confucius say
08-06-2023, 12:26 PM
Beyond overstated. If you list the Top 10 reasons he's choosing TAM, Chuck is number 27.

There are $500k other reasons, allegedly.
His family and his camp still want him at state though. So we'll see.

I've said for months that If I'm wrong I'll admit it and own it. Losing a kid from here whose family and camp want him here would be a horrible look for lemonis.

BigDawg81
08-06-2023, 12:29 PM
I thought Montgomery was supposed to commit to A&M Friday night. His recruitment is just crazy

maroonmania
08-06-2023, 12:39 PM
There are $500k other reasons, allegedly.
His family and his camp still want him at state though. So we'll see.

I've said for months that If I'm wrong I'll admit it and own it. Losing a kid from here whose family and camp want him here would be a horrible look for lemonis.

While 500K for one baseball player for one season is over the top, given we didn't sign Holman, we should be able to offer a pretty nice NIL package to BM. Nobody else that we've gotten out of the portal should have required much wrt to an NIL package.

basedog
08-06-2023, 12:40 PM
I hate all this drama; I don't know why Montgomery hasn't made a statement a long time ago whether he is staying or leaving Stanford.

When does football start? I remember it use to be when does baseball start.

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 12:53 PM

260k?

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 12:54 PM
While 500K for one baseball player for one season is over the top, given we didn't sign Holman, we should be able to offer a pretty nice NIL package to BM. Nobody else that we've gotten out of the portal should have required much wrt to an NIL package.

The problem is if we give him 500k, how does it make other current roster players like DJ and Hines feel...

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 12:55 PM

Well put.

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 12:55 PM
I was not stating that he was the reason. I was responding to who the coach at A&M was with Mississippi ties.

I knew you weren't. Guess I shouldn't have used the quote. You were just providing facts to those not in the know. No intent to make it sound otherwise.

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 12:56 PM
260k?

No ...

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 12:56 PM
The problem is if we give him 500k, how does it make other current roster players like DJ and Hines feel...

I would rather that money be spent on Lemonis buyout...

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 12:57 PM

We have a nice package. We have plenty. That's not it. We aren't losing him bc of our offer. Just not true

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 12:57 PM
No ...

I had heard double that..

Really Clark?
08-06-2023, 01:16 PM
260k?

More than that. And it's really one pushing money and it's not his mom.

We have a great offer to them, we have made a great offer to help keep him and his hitting coach / trainer with one on one sessions...our package is a top tier package. Just up to him to decided what he wants to do.

basedog
08-06-2023, 01:51 PM
I hope we get him, but in saying that I’m not sure how much of a difference he can make for our team. Our weakness on the field has been pitching. Something just doesn’t seem right, I’m wondering if his “agent” is the problem. Wonder what Stanford is thinking?

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 01:59 PM

We have a great offer to them, we have made a great offer to help keep him and his hitting coach / trainer with one on one sessions...our package is a top tier package. Just up to him to decided what he wants to do.

Again, is his dad a preacher?

Coach34
08-06-2023, 02:16 PM
I hope we get him, but in saying that I’m not sure how much of a difference he can make for our team. Our weakness on the field has been pitching. Something just doesn’t seem right, I’m wondering if his “agent” is the problem. Wonder what Stanford is thinking?

You dont think a 3 hole hitter matters much? Cmon you know better.

Supposedly its us or A&M- he's done at Stanford. Supposedly

basedog
08-06-2023, 02:22 PM
You dont think a 3 hole hitter matters much? Cmon you know better.

Supposedly its us or A&M- he's done at Stanford. Supposedly

I said I hope we get him, my question is how much improvement, pitching has been our biggest problem. No doubt he can help.

State82
08-06-2023, 02:44 PM
You dont think a 3 hole hitter matters much?

I think, to put it another way, base's comment could be described as follows: What would have made a drastically different impact on 2024? A 3-hole hitter or a Friday night starter, aka Holman? Without a legit money guy on Friday, how much does any other position player really move the needle when all is said and done?

basedog
08-06-2023, 02:49 PM
I think, to put it another way, base's comment could be described as follows: What would have made a drastically different impact on 2024? A 3-hole hitter or a Friday night starter, aka Holman? Without a legit money guy on Friday, how much does any other position player really move the needle when all is said and done?

You summed up my thoughts exactly. Even 34 is on record saying we are gonna be good at the plate 2024. If so, we need major improvements in pitching, it’s all questionable and I hope Lemonis is gonna pull this off for 2024.

I hate this NIL thing and the NCAA letting players opt out without having to sit a year. It’s pro ball now.

confucius say
08-06-2023, 02:52 PM

His "agent" is on our side

Coach34
08-06-2023, 02:58 PM

but my response is that Holman is not an option- so landing a 3-hole hitter to give us what could be the SEC's best hitting line-up is a big damn deal.

We have 5 arms competing for 3 weekend spots. I feel like we'll be fine. aGAIN- nobody expected Holman to be what he was this past season after his freshman season.

Tennessee's best SP didnt even pitch in 2022
SC's best threw 7 innings in 2022
Every pitcher in the SEC top 15 in ERA improved from the year before. Ours will too

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 03:20 PM

This ^

The Federalist Engineer
08-06-2023, 03:42 PM

500 and even 250 is too much for a player that is not Dylan Crews or Paul Skenes.

Those guys put you into the top SEC echelon and probably put you in Omaha. Even if had a 9-21 team otherwise. Skenes more so than Crews.

The iQ 200 move is to see what 3 other portal kids (committed elsewhere) you can get for 80K a piece. I rather make that move to bolster a 10-20 team and not price the Portal to pyrrhic disaster levels.

CaptainObvious
08-06-2023, 04:28 PM
When is final enrollment day at State?

Pancho
08-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Won't BM be a top 5 in the first round pick next year regardless of where he plays in 24?

MetEdDawg
08-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Won't BM be a top 5 in the first round pick next year regardless of where he plays in 24?

Yes and he would be well worth the money. If we want kids like that in our program, this is the money that's required.

Folks will learn quick that it's expensive to get good players so the more we give the better chance we have to get them.

Todd4State
08-06-2023, 05:11 PM
You summed up my thoughts exactly. Even 34 is on record saying we are gonna be good at the plate 2024. If so, we need major improvements in pitching, it’s all questionable and I hope Lemonis is gonna pull this off for 2024.

I hate this NIL thing and the NCAA letting players opt out without having to sit a year. It’s pro ball now.

We were so bad on the mound there is only two ways out of it. To get better pitchers or to coach them up.

I don't think we're so devoid of talent on the mound that we can't improve with some decent development.

basedog
08-06-2023, 05:20 PM
We were so bad on the mound there is only two ways out of it. To get better pitchers or to coach them up.

I don't think we're so devoid of talent on the mound that we can't improve with some decent development.

I agree. I hope we have enough depth.

Todd4State
08-06-2023, 05:26 PM
I agree. I hope we have enough depth.

We currently have three top 200 MLB draft prospects that are pitchers on the roster- Holcombe, Loo, and Loftin. Dohm is a good pitcher and likely a draft pick. He can help out in relief at worst and may even emerge as a starting pitcher. Cam Schuelke and Gavin Black are two JUCO guys that pitched in the Cape. Evan Siary has had a really good summer. Ligdon and Stephens look like solid transfer pick ups. Parker has something to work with. We get Stone Simmons and Brett Auger back too.

I mean Loo and Loftin were literally high school pitchers last year because of lack of development and Loftin was hurt.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-06-2023, 06:34 PM
I don't believe they paid him 500k.skenes was like 150k, Tommy Tanks like 250k. Both are better than Montgomery. I don't believe the NIL market for Baseball has changed quite that fast that's its comparable to high end football transfers. It also doesn't make sense to throw 500k at an OF when they weren't throwing that at Burns, Holman, Molina, or any of these pitchers who absolutely would help them more than a bat. Like why obly throw money at Poral players now? And why is BM the one they're obsessed with?

No, my guess is that some on the State side would rather the narrative be "we can't compete with that insane money" than the truth, which is "Montgomery, despight all his ties to State, doesn't want to play for us because he wants to win"

The Federalist Engineer
08-06-2023, 06:42 PM
but my response is that Holman is not an option- so landing a 3-hole hitter to give us what could be the SEC's best hitting line-up is a big damn deal.

We have 5 arms competing for 3 weekend spots. I feel like we'll be fine. aGAIN- nobody expected Holman to be what he was this past season after his freshman season.

Tennessee's best SP didnt even pitch in 2022
SC's best threw 7 innings in 2022
Every pitcher in the SEC top 15 in ERA improved from the year before. Ours will too

Everything in this message is why Justin Parker is so key and Fox so bad. People are supposed to get better with time in the program.

In 2022, no returned pitcher improved year-over-year from 2021. MSU had more than 1/2 the pitchers with double-digit ERAs in the SEC.

(1) Cade was good, but he came good. MSU in past years, would have turned him into a 1st or 2nd round pick.
(2) KC Hunt was pitching like a 4th year Freshman
(3) Stinnett was pitching like a Hockey-Player turned pitcher
(4) Gartman went from a decent Memphis pitcher to a well below average (not a 2021 roster player)
(5) Davis went from starting on Friday night regionals to being useless (not a 2021 roster player)
(6) Tepper and Fristoe basically fired Lemons and Fox by leaving the program. They were on steep decline. Tepper became good for Liberty, got drafted mid-round.

In 2021, the injuries were so devastating because nobody was ready to replace Landon, even partially.

Really Clark?
08-06-2023, 07:02 PM
I don't believe they paid him 500k.skenes was like 150k, Tommy Tanks like 250k. Both are better than Montgomery. I don't believe the NIL market for Baseball has changed quite that fast that's its comparable to high end football transfers. It also doesn't make sense to throw 500k at an OF when they weren't throwing that at Burns, Holman, Molina, or any of these pitchers who absolutely would help them more than a bat. Like why obly throw money at Poral players now? And why is BM the one they're obsessed with?

No, my guess is that some on the State side would rather the narrative be "we can't compete with that insane money" than the truth, which is "Montgomery, despight all his ties to State, doesn't want to play for us because he wants to win"

Believe what you want, the money is high but no one is saying we can't compete. We are more than competing for BM with NIL. If we lose him it WILL NOT be because we couldn't afford him. Not sure who told you that or if you are just speculating.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-06-2023, 07:18 PM
Believe what you want, the money is high but no one is saying we can't compete. We are more than competing for BM with NIL. If we lose him it WILL NOT be because we couldn't afford him. Not sure who told you that or if you are just speculating.

To be clear I'm 100% speculating, but it's based on factual data oh what NIL baseball players are getting and what's in A&Ms best interest.

I claim no special knowledge and I'm not saying we AREN'T "competitive" our baseball NIL is fine, especially because we haven't gotten anyone to pay yet and blow the budget. I'm saying I do NOT believe he's going to 500k. That number seems like BS to defend Lemo for not landing BM.

Regarding "insider info", I think it's pretty clear at this point that said insider info is BS often as not. "Silent commits" etc.

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 07:28 PM
To be clear I'm 100% speculating, but it's based on factual data oh what NIL baseball players are getting and what's in A&Ms best interest.

I claim no special knowledge and I'm not saying we AREN'T "competitive" our baseball NIL is fine, especially because we haven't gotten anyone to pay yet and blow the budget. I'm saying I do NOT believe he's going to 500k. That number seems like BS to defend Lemo for not landing BM.

Regarding "insider info", I think it's pretty clear at this point that said insider info is BS often as not. "Silent commits" etc.

So you say you don't know what you're talking about and you're guessing. Which you are. Stop w that and quit arguing on something you admittedly know nothing about!! .....You don't have a clue. Not one !!! You're arguing to argue. He didn't give an exact number Braden is getting. But it's plenty, unless he goes back to Stanford.

KOdawg1
08-06-2023, 08:01 PM
Braden has people pulling him different ways, but unless something changes, it won't be us. Which sucks because this was a battle we couldn't and shouldn't lose.

NIL isn't a major factor, as we can match or exceed anything he'd get from anywhere else. I firmly believe it's the state of our program right now. We've been at the bottom of the league for two years and while Parker should help improve our pitching, we didn't bring in much in terms of impact arms from the portal, so how much our pitching can improve is very much in the air. Another factor is that I think he just might like A&M better. Which isn't an excuse. As a coach on the hot seat, you've got to do whatever it takes to win this battle, but it appears it's one he's going to lose.

I selfishly hope he returns to Stanford so we don't have to face him.

BigDawg81
08-06-2023, 08:03 PM
Let me get this story straight.., BM took a surprise visit to Texas A&M and people lose their minds including our ? insiders?. Insiders says that BM is going to Texas A&M but BM has not made a decision. So, nobody knows anything still.

Cowbell
08-06-2023, 08:12 PM
Let me get this story straight.., BM took a surprise visit to Texas A&M and people lose their minds including our ? insiders?. Insiders says that BM is going to Texas A&M but BM has not made a decision. So, nobody knows anything still.

But but Steve said....

BigDawg81
08-06-2023, 08:14 PM
But but Steve said.... Steve does not know jack. He speaks to his audience where it is factual or not. I was really surprised that he said A&M

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-06-2023, 08:38 PM
So you say you don't know what you're talking about and you're guessing. Which you are. Stop w that and quit arguing on something you admittedly know nothing about!! .....You don't have a clue. Not one !!! You're arguing to argue. He didn't give an exact number Braden is getting. But it's plenty, unless he goes back to Stanford.

I never claimed to be spitting facts or insider info, I said I don't believe he was ever offered 500k by A&M. That's a ridiculous number that makes no sense for them to do. It seems like you're thinking I was bashing our own NIL but that's not what I was saying

BUT, if you want to call out people who "dont have a clue", there's a whoooooole lot of big talk in some earlier pages. Might want to start there

Homedawg
08-06-2023, 08:58 PM
I never claimed to be spitting facts or insider info, I said I don't believe he was ever offered 500k by A&M. That's a ridiculous number that makes no sense for them to do. It seems like you're thinking I was bashing our own NIL but that's not what I was saying

BUT, if you want to call out people who "dont have a clue", there's a whoooooole lot of big talk in some earlier pages. Might want to start there

Call me out whenever you like. We didn't and aren't getting beat by nil. Just facts.

basedog
08-06-2023, 09:27 PM
Call me out whenever you like. We didn't and aren't getting beat by nil. Just facts.

I don’t think it’s the NIL as a problem for us getting Montgomery either. Like I’ve said several times, I hope we get him.

TNDawg35
08-07-2023, 12:45 AM

Exactly what I said above and then people started saying no it’s cause he doesn’t want to be here cause he hasn’t committed to us yet blah blah blah… BM may go to A&M, but no one knows what he is doing right now… Especially not SR…

Todd4State
08-07-2023, 01:11 AM
Exactly what I said above and then people started saying no it’s cause he doesn’t want to be here cause he hasn’t committed to us yet blah blah blah… BM may go to A&M, but no one knows what he is doing right now… Especially not SR…

I'm pretty sure we're still recruiting him as hard as we can.

Todd4State
08-07-2023, 01:17 AM

I know some LSU people that would know. And yes they paid Crews 500K. Why I'm not sure- he may have threatened to leave or something. Their players are not immune from being recruited like anyone else. Skenes got 250K. Gave it all to charity.

Pancho
08-07-2023, 04:59 AM
sounds like the common denominator in the BM decision boils down to how impressed he is with Lemo............But we all knew that, right? Hence, he gets another year on the nice bucket

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-07-2023, 07:03 AM
I know some LSU people that would know. And yes they paid Crews 500K. Why I'm not sure- he may have threatened to leave or something. Their players are not immune from being recruited like anyone else. Skenes got 250K. Gave it all to charity.

Maybe I'm way off, but I've heard LSU fans give much lower numbers. It doesn't really matter. I'm sure our NIL offer to BM is plenty good and if he wanted to play for us he'd be in the boat by now

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-07-2023, 07:11 AM

Thats literally what I was saying!

I never said our NIL was being beaten. I was saying I don't think A&M is offering 500k and that that number is being floated to hide that we did make a comparable NIL offer and BM still chose to not play here.

I don't know why you keep acting like I'm trashing our NIL.

Really Clark?
08-07-2023, 09:46 AM
Thats literally what I was saying!

I never said our NIL was being beaten. I was saying I don't think A&M is offering 500k and that that number is being floated to hide that we did make a comparable NIL offer and BM still chose to not play here.

I don't know why you keep acting like I'm trashing our NIL.

The number being offered to BM is closer to $500K than $250K. Believe it or not, that's his neighborhood. But he wouldn't mind going back to Stanford either which has pennies in NIL to offer. So TAM and us could lose out with substantially larger packages. It's just a matter of what BM wants to do. His family wants him closer, there is one pushing for a large payout (not BM or his mom)...it's a complicated deal all around.

PMDawg
08-07-2023, 10:03 AM

Must spread rep around. That dude just spews random crap like a machine gun, and never says anything...just says everyone else is wrong.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-07-2023, 10:15 AM
Must spread rep around. That dude just spews random crap like a machine gun, and never says anything...just says everyone else is wrong.

I do say others are wrong... when I think they're wrong. In this thread alone I've brought stats from State, "SEC only" data, season long SEC data, Stanford, Arizona, Miami, Purdue, LSU, Arkansas, and Auburn. I've looked up rosters from '22 to discuss the type of transfers other SEC schools get. All to arguebwhat I truly believe to be the truth. Am I wrong some? Absolutely. And I admit it when proven to be unlike many on here.

Would you prefer me if I claimed to have insider info and that we had some huge Portal names secretly commited? Cause unlike me using stats to build an argument, that actually is "spewing crap"