PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

SPMT
07-02-2023, 02:19 PM
Right now, from the outside looking in, we appear to be failing at an epic level with the transfer portal. Only silver lining I can possibly see at this point is that we are banking NIL to spend when the next staff takes over next June. I hope I eat crow later, and I will gladly take seconds with that meal but it appears that we have totaled the Ferrari and insurance isn't going to cover it.

Let’s think about this…..what do we have, that fans have seen, to be excited about. I’d love to be proven wrong. We look like a train wreck though.

Prove us wrong. Show us. We are all in, just show us that you can get it done Coach.

Leroy Jenkins
07-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Easy now. Nothing is ever as good or as bad as reported. We've got position players coming. Pitchers? Ehhh.

Cowbell
07-02-2023, 02:50 PM
Easy now. Nothing is ever as good or as bad as reported. We've got position players coming. Pitchers? Ehhh.

The discouraging part about it is the best players going into next year regardless of position were also on this years team that failed miserably. We will not be increasing in talent other than a couple of freshman that have zero college experience. On paper, they don't show to be any better. That means some players are gonna have to make a big jump with experience and so all our hope lies with coaching 😂

Cooterpoot
07-02-2023, 03:16 PM
Question: If you were a top portal guy would you go to a program that's been abysmal the last two seasons and has a coach that's going to lose his job if this season is bad? We can pay but that's only going to get you so far. The Lemon is getting squeezed right now. His hopes basically ride on two portal dreams and young guys killing it.

Cowbell
07-02-2023, 03:22 PM
Question: If you were a top portal guy would you go to a program that's been abysmal the last two seasons and has a coach that's going to lose his job if this season is bad? We can pay but that's only going to get you so far. The Lemon is getting squeezed right now. His hopes basically ride on two portal dreams and young guys killing it.

You have to put some more context with it. I mean we are two years away from winning it all, we do have NIL, we do have the best stadium and largest crowds. Our football staff is doing more with a much more average program.

What do you mean by two portal dreams??

Cooterpoot
07-02-2023, 03:31 PM
You have to put some more context with it. I mean we are two years away from winning it all, we do have NIL, we do have the best stadium and largest crowds. Our football staff is doing more with a much more average program.

What do you mean by two portal dreams??

Players don't care about attendance and what happened 3 years ago from their next season. They're looking to win big and maximizing the pro draft. We aren't doing a ton of either. How many people think we've got a bunch of secret commits? I don't. I think we're in it for a couple guys but that's about it. If we don't pull Montgomery and Holman, Lemons is dead. There's nothing big in the portal right now. Less than two weeks left.

Randolph Dupree
07-02-2023, 03:51 PM

I actually have some confidence that we will look a lot better on the mound this year even with the same personnel. I've said it on here before but I think Fox just mailed it in. Don't know why but I'm not sure our guys were getting any good development. My issue with the transfer portal is, every team that is in it to win it is going out and upgrading as many positions as they can. So while we do have some very nice pieces returning and a nice recruiting class coming, that's not enough to get ahead in the transfer portal environment.

Again I hope like hell to be eating crow next June but at the moment this doesn't look good.

CaptainObvious
07-02-2023, 07:53 PM
Players don't care about attendance and what happened 3 years ago from their next season. They're looking to win big and maximizing the pro draft. We aren't doing a ton of either. How many people think we've got a bunch of secret commits? I don't. I think we're in it for a couple guys but that's about it. If we don't pull Montgomery and Holman, Lemons is dead. There's nothing big in the portal right now. Less than two weeks left.

This👆 Players know they are going to play in front of hundreds in the Minors. Playing in front of 2500 in a winning team in college is more valuable than playing in front of 10,000 on a losing team.

Keenum and Selmon have signed us up for a 3 year rebuild after Lemonis winning a NC with someone else?s recruits.

You don?t keep commitments secret when your fan base is starving for good news. That is like missing a Regional 2 straight years and telling your fans they can kick rocks and hit the road if they don?t like it.

Bringing in a new head coach would have given the fan base a reason for excitement but instead they kept the loser and he can?t even give the fans a Millicent of four news! Pitiful really. He is sticking it to us worse than Moorhead?s kick rocks statement!

Coach34
07-02-2023, 08:39 PM
You don?t keep commitments secret when your fan base is starving for good news. That is like missing a Regional 2 straight years and telling your fans they can kick rocks and hit the road if they don?t like it!

Lemon is focused on building a team for next year. He dont care if you are over there whining because you havent heard anything yet. All the chairback tickets are sold for next season. All the tailgating areas are sold for next year.

We'll hear about transfers when the transfers are ready to announce

BigDawg81
07-02-2023, 09:37 PM
This will move the needle or probably not.
Mississippi State has picked up JUCO RHP Gavin Black from NW Florida State
Pitched 36 innings, 43 K?s and 24 BB with an ERA of 4.00

AlSwearengen
07-02-2023, 09:47 PM

Just saw this on twitter. Juco transfer, i guess. Throws pretty hard.

Really Clark?
07-02-2023, 09:52 PM

Big arm. Watch his film and think of Colby White. Need to hope the draft doesn't hurt us with him.

Cooterpoot
07-02-2023, 09:54 PM
97 in Juco is a good grab. Top shelf Juco too. Same Juco as DeLucia I believe.

CaptainObvious
07-02-2023, 10:51 PM
Lemon is focused on building a team for next year. He dont care if you are over there whining because you havent heard anything yet. All the chairback tickets are sold for next season. All the tailgating areas are sold for next year.

We'll hear about transfers when the transfers are ready to announce

Seems to be the same philosophy all the other Top programs are taking too. Not making any portal commitments known to their fans. Not building confidence that they are keeping their program at the top. Oh wait! That is NOT what the other programs are doing. They are cherry picking the best available. While our coach is keeping secrets about his fantastic efforts to bring State from 13th to 12th next year. But hey, that will get the Dogs in Hoover. Carry on with your acceptance of the Status Quo.

Todd4State
07-02-2023, 11:39 PM

A lot of these portal guys are coming for one season so I'm not sure why Lemonis's long term future matters that much to most of them. If we get Montgomery and Holman they're going in the draft next year regardless of what happens to MSU next year.

Pancho
07-03-2023, 06:01 AM
Lemo and everyone associated with MSU baseball knows the rest of this month is critical. There really isn't much else that can be said. We all know the areas that we need immediate help. The Dude is sold out regardless

BigDawg81
07-03-2023, 07:44 AM
A lot of these portal guys are coming for one season so I'm not sure why Lemonis's long term future matters that much to most of them. If we get Montgomery and Holman they're going in the draft next year regardless of what happens to MSU next year. Kendall Rogers seems to think Holman is going to Florida

Cooterpoot
07-03-2023, 08:37 AM
A lot of these portal guys are coming for one season so I'm not sure why Lemonis's long term future matters that much to most of them. If we get Montgomery and Holman they're going in the draft next year regardless of what happens to MSU next year.

The Tommy Whites of the world care. And that's what we need. Getting a couple younger guys that can give you a couple years to stabilize things some til your HS recruits are ready would be nice. But Lemons has to save his job. We've gotten a Juco pitcher so far. Get Holman and Montgomery and things are good next year. But looking to the future, it looks pretty rough without some guys showing up. We've already seen a some decommits and some guys pushed out of the class. You can't completely get away from HS talent and rely on the portal every season. That's why we're here now. All the bad HS recruits we signed and gave the boot and not developing kids.

confucius say
07-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Hypothetically, you can't announce a commit that hasn't entered the portal yet.

maroonmania
07-03-2023, 09:09 AM
Lemo and everyone associated with MSU baseball knows the rest of this month is critical. There really isn't much else that can be said. We all know the areas that we need immediate help. The Dude is sold out regardless

It really doesn't what is or isn't publicly announced right now or if fans are happy or not right now. Only thing that really matters in the end for Lemonis is are the fans happy or not at the end of next season. We all know he's got one last season to get this program back into the postseason or he is packing his bags.

Really Clark?
07-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Kendall Rogers seems to think Holman is going to Florida

We will probably get an OV with him

Cooterpoot
07-03-2023, 10:06 AM
I feel confident enough about some things that I've already got the meme ready.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2023, 10:25 AM

Is secret recruits just another way of saying that runts eat last? We will see.

(1) UT just signed the SoCon POY.
(2) Hogs just got a Freshman All American from TTU and the WAC POY.
(3) Burns might be TCU, but still repping Vols
(4) Internet rumors are that Holman is a prime recruit for LSU, Tennessee, and Florida. No mention of MSU.
(5) Florida got the Bama 25 HR kid
(6) LSU got 3 commits while still in Omaha - a Xavier LHP that was key in beating Vandy in the regionals.

Many Wichita and Clemson kids still out there, but everybody is on them. Texas AM, Arkansas, and of course the Vols and Tigers.

Leroy Jenkins
07-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Allegedly the guys we are on are not in the portal yet. They will announce they are entering the portal, and transferring to MSU, simultaneously.

So I don't know how anyone would have a read on who they are or where they're going.

BigDawg81
07-03-2023, 10:50 AM
Is secret recruits just another way of saying that runts eat last? We will see.

(1) UT just signed the SoCon POY.
(2) Hogs just got a Freshman All American from TTU and the WAC POY.
(3) Burns might be TCU, but still repping Vols
(4) Internet rumors are that Holman is a prime recruit for LSU, Tennessee, and Florida. No mention of MSU.
(5) Florida got the Bama 25 HR kid
(6) LSU got 3 commits while still in Omaha - a Xavier LHP that was key in beating Vandy in the regionals.

Many Wichita and Clemson kids still out there, but everybody is on them. Texas AM, Arkansas, and of course the Vols and Tigers.
According to Robbie on T&L, he knows that there are 2 committed to State but he will not release the names. I?m hoping and guessing it?s not the JUCO pitcher that he is referencing. Btw, I trust Robbie 1000x more than Rosebowl.

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 10:53 AM
This guy entered the portal today and Lemonis is following him on Twitter.

https://wsucougars.com/sports/baseball/roster/elijah-hainline/12326

Hopefully we get him in on a visit. He strikes out a lot, but he has a high OPS with some pop and speed. Decent defender too. Gonna be a draft pick in 2024.

BigDawg81
Allegedly the guys we are on are not in the portal yet. They will announce they are entering the portal, and transferring to MSU, simultaneously.

So I don't know how anyone would have a read on who they are or where they're going. So, State is tampering? I?m 100% okay with that. The NCAA just came down with a statement about tampering but until they show that there are consequences, I?m all for doing it.

bulldogcountry1

So I don't know how anyone would have a read on who they are or where they're going.

Seems like a VERY risky strategy. That leaves no time for plan B if it goes wrong. It also feel like a "smartest guy in the room" move.

How does that conversation go with the player?

"Hey...uh...we don't want you to enter the portal yet because some other team might swoop in and offer you twice as much."

CaptainObvious
07-03-2023, 10:57 AM

Interesting that you used the required (when talking about a perp) media term <alledgedly> . Because what has happened to our baseball program the past 2 years borders on criminal.

Does this also mean that our coaches are <tampering> with players still in other teams rosters? How else would they know players who aren?t even in the portal will jump in just long enough to transfer to MSU?

So when the investigators come forward with real evidence that our Baseball Savant has gotten signatures of these <alleged> quality transfers, I will consider the fruits that accomplishment, but will still be disgusted IF our program has to go through a 3rd straight year of mediocrity before a correction is made.

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 10:59 AM

He's just speculating.

We're supposedly getting a visit.

confucius say
07-03-2023, 11:49 AM
He's just speculating.

We're supposedly getting a visit.

Same with Burns

Tripp McNeely
07-03-2023, 12:04 PM
Same with Burns

Holy crap, we're getting OVs from Holman and Burns??? Damn!!

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 12:12 PM
Holy crap, we're getting OVs from Holman and Burns??? Damn!!

Yes on Holman.

I haven't heard anything about us getting Burns on a visit.

Leroy Jenkins
07-03-2023, 12:27 PM
Seems like a VERY risky strategy. That leaves no time for plan B if it goes wrong. It also feel like a "smartest guy in the room" move.

How does that conversation go with the player?

"Hey...uh...we don't want you to enter the portal yet because some other team might swoop in and offer you twice as much."

No. I think it means the player(s) wants to come here and is not looking for portal drama.

BigDawg81
07-03-2023, 12:37 PM
Yes on Holman.

I haven't heard anything about us getting Burns on a visit. You got a lot to sell to Holman. He is going to come in to be the Friday night and is playing for one of the better pitching coaches in the country.

maroonmania
07-03-2023, 12:44 PM
We will probably get an OV with him

We have got to unload some NIL on one stud starter in the portal. If we aren't willing to do that we dont have much of a chance to win next year and LSU and Florida are going to buy up every SEC caliber starter out there.

Todd4State
07-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Yes on Holman.

Rumor is Burns is going back to Tennessee.

confucius say
07-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Yes on Holman.

Yea, I was saying same with burns in response to your comment that we are supposedly getting a visit from Holman. Supposedly being the key word on Burns. His rship with Montgomery is a plus.

basedog
07-03-2023, 02:51 PM
It may turn out ok but it seems off track to me. We have glaring needs and it didn't just start at the end of the season.

"Houston we got problems".

TNDawg35
07-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Rumor is Burns is going back to Tennessee.

Not quite yet. From the TN peeps I know, Burns told Tony V to **** off… he told him he lied to him 3 times, so he has no trust left in him. He isn’t staying at TN to come out of the pen. He wants to be a starter. TN has begged him to wait for NIL and they would Match anything. He is supposedly out for good.

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 03:01 PM
You got a lot to sell to Holman. He is going to come in to be the Friday night and is playing for one of the better pitching coaches in the country.

True but other teams are selling him that too

Leroy Jenkins
07-03-2023, 04:44 PM
Landed a grad transfer Catcher to backup Highfill. Much needed.

https://twitter.com/johnnylong0909/status/1663919355120308225?s=20

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 05:09 PM

Yeah, perfect guy to back Highfill up and give us a spot start here and there

TaleofTwoDogs
07-03-2023, 05:13 PM
I say put the best player on the field and if it's this guy go with it. All positions should be open for competition.

KOdawg1
07-03-2023, 05:33 PM
I say put the best player on the field and if it's this guy go with it. All positions should be open for competition.
I mean, that'll probably be the case but he's not beating Highfill out.

He's a career .258 hitter and Highfill had more HRs in 1 year than this guy has had in 4.

He'll be a solid backup though.

BigDawg81
07-03-2023, 05:35 PM
Yeah, perfect guy to back Highfill up and give us a spot start here and there midweek catcher

BigDawg81
07-03-2023, 05:43 PM
We know that Holman and Montgomery are targets and Holman is visiting soon. Montgomery is expected to enter the portal once he is done with team USA. What I didn?t know is that is a current teammate of Montgomery that wants to play with Montgomery. I don?t know the name of that player but that might be something to look out for.

Cooterpoot
07-03-2023, 06:01 PM
I'm not as high on Highfill as most but no way he loses his job short of injury.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2023, 06:21 PM

His stats

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/baseball/roster/johnny-long-iii/12359

Homedawg
07-03-2023, 06:54 PM
I'm not as high on Highfill as most but no way he loses his job short of injury.

Agree on all counts

Coach34
07-03-2023, 06:56 PM

I'm high on any freshman that hits 9 HR's as a true freshman. Hell, He can catch 2 games a week and DH the other 2. Transfer guy can catch the other 2. Whatever makes us better

CaptainObvious
07-03-2023, 07:24 PM
I'm high on any freshman that hits 9 HR's as a true freshman. Hell, He can catch 2 games a week and DH the other 2. Transfer guy can catch the other 2. Whatever makes us better

I agree. You get an experienced catcher that can split time with your sophomore. Tanner was a rare bird who could catch everyday and still be productive at the plate. This year?s national champs rotated catchers all year long. Not just depth, but rotation needed position.

So far, this may be Lemonis best portal acquisition from this years portal.

Plus he is a magna cum laude grad. So there is that.

Cowbell
07-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Agree 100%

Cooterpoot
07-03-2023, 07:52 PM

And he hit in the .180s in SEC play with only 4 HRs. OPS was low, K rate very high. He wasn't ready. Can he increase his average .100 pts? Can he double those HRs? Can he cut the K rate to below 20%? Or, just hit bombs and up that OPS .300 pts. He's never been a great hitter. Wasn't in HS. It's a legitimate concern. I think he can do those things, just not next season. I think he's two years away from being very good. And really, that was the plan until he had to play this year.

preachermatt83
07-03-2023, 07:53 PM

This

99jc
07-03-2023, 08:19 PM
The only way i can get high on next year's team is to smoke a whole bag of Columbian gold! You all are in for a big disappointment, and you just cannot see it. you have Moorhead syndrome!

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2023, 08:57 PM

We get a walk on, people want to bench a marquee recruit and performance freshman. Times are hard.

confucius say
07-03-2023, 09:11 PM
We know that Holman and Montgomery are targets and Holman is visiting soon. Montgomery is expected to enter the portal once he is done with team USA. What I didn?t know is that is a current teammate of Montgomery that wants to play with Montgomery. I don?t know the name of that player but that might be something to look out for.

Montgomery is our best chance at Burns too. May be a long shot, but we're at least in the discussion.

Homedawg
07-03-2023, 09:13 PM
I agree. You get an experienced catcher that can split time with your sophomore. Tanner was a rare bird who could catch everyday and still be productive at the plate. This year?s national champs rotated catchers all year long. Not just depth, but rotation needed position.

So far, this may be Lemonis best portal acquisition from this years portal.

Plus he is a magna cum laude grad. So there is that.

This guy isn't good enough to split time. He's a backup. Period.

Homedawg
07-03-2023, 09:14 PM
The only way i can get high on next year's team is to smoke a whole bag of Columbian gold! You all are in for a big disappointment, and you just cannot see it. you have Moorhead syndrome!

Let's see the roster and go from there. Complaint about it now would be like complaint about football commitments in March..... oh wait...:

Todd4State
07-03-2023, 09:15 PM
This guy isn't good enough to split time. He's a backup. Period.

Yep. I suspect we see Highfill catch three out of the four during the week and Long fills in once a week.

Cooterpoot
07-03-2023, 09:15 PM
We get a walk on, people want to bench a marquee recruit and performance freshman. Times are hard.

Who wants to bench them? Not a damn soul in this thread.

Homedawg
07-03-2023, 10:10 PM
Who wants to bench them? Not a damn soul in this thread.

Reading is an issue w some. Nobody wants to bench highfill w what we have. Just that he's not all sec. Below avg catcher at this point and has lots of holes offensively. But he was a fr. He'll get better I know. Problem is , today fr either play or leave. We played him. He'll get better. I think

TNDawg35
07-04-2023, 05:50 AM
Reading is an issue w some. Nobody wants to bench highfill w what we have. Just that he's not all sec. Below avg catcher at this point and has lots of holes offensively. But he was a fr. He'll get better I know. Problem is , today fr either play or leave. We played him. He'll get better. I think

He is a true freshman who got thrown into the line up before he should have. It will do nothing but make him better all around. He hit 9 bombs as a true freshman and he got better behind the plate the whole year.

Cooterpoot
07-04-2023, 09:21 AM
He is a true freshman who got thrown into the line up before he should have. It will do nothing but make him better all around. He hit 9 bombs as a true freshman and he got better behind the plate the whole year.

He's two years away IMO. He's a tremendous athlete but a raw baseball player. We messed up not signing a portal catcher last year, but that was expected. He's hitting .233 in summer ball right now.

KOdawg1
07-04-2023, 09:24 AM
We messed up not signing a portal catcher last year,

Yeah, how our staff saw Luke Hancock all fall and then said, "yeah, we'll roll with that guy." beats the hell out of me.

Leroy Jenkins
07-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Yeah, how our staff saw Luke Hancock all fall and then said, "yeah, we'll roll with that guy." beats the hell out of me.

We had 4 catchers on the roster last year. Until Ross started to come on late in the year, Hancock sucked the least.

KOdawg1
07-04-2023, 11:06 AM
We had 4 catchers on the roster last year. Until Ross started to come on late in the year, Hancock sucked the least.

But what I'm saying is how do we get in the position where Luke Hancock is our best catcher? Should've taken a portal catcher last year.

maroonmania
07-04-2023, 11:19 AM

What are you talking about? Pretty much all of us see it but there is really nothing any of us can do at this point but hope against hope that we are significantly better than most of us think we will be next year. If Lemonis does crash and burn next season he certainly can't complain he wasn't given every opportunity to get the program back on track.

Coach34
07-04-2023, 01:51 PM
What are you talking about? Pretty much all of us see it but there is really nothing any of us can do at this point but hope against hope that we are significantly better than most of us think we will be next year. If Lemonis does crash and burn next season he certainly can't complain he wasn't given every opportunity to get the program back on track.

Exactly. Literally nobody is guaranteeing success next Spring. We are just hopeful he can make it happen. He doesnt? Adios

DownwardDawg
07-04-2023, 03:48 PM

He makes odd generalization posts like this quite often.

TheLostDawg
07-04-2023, 03:48 PM
Exactly. Literally nobody is guaranteeing success next Spring. We are just hopeful he can make it happen. He doesnt? Adios

The question is- what is "make it happen "?
Make a regional, make a super regional? If just regional, what seed must it be/ regular season record?

Commercecomet24
07-04-2023, 03:51 PM

Yes! I believe this is where we all are at this point!

Homedawg
07-04-2023, 04:22 PM

No argument. I'm saying nobody said bench him. He's just gonna get better.

Pancho
07-04-2023, 04:35 PM
Competition is good and maybe the Pitt transfer can spell Ross when needed.

preachermatt83
07-04-2023, 04:56 PM

Exactly

The Federalist Engineer
07-04-2023, 05:04 PM
Make a regional, make a super regional? If just regional, what seed must it be/ regular season record?

Host = Safe

Or

Region + Super

Coach34
07-04-2023, 05:05 PM

He makes a regional and it’s very unlikely he would be fired

Homedawg
07-04-2023, 05:08 PM

As long as it's not a back door make- like winning the sec tournament to get in, after a meh year, I agree. Regional saves his job.

The Federalist Engineer
07-04-2023, 05:44 PM

There are nuances here I think.

(1) make a regional and Ole Miss makes Omaha, death blow
(2) make a regional and Go 2-And-Out, death blow
(3) make a region with 13 SEC Wins is different that 16 SEC Wins
(4) Lemons has a record of approximately 9-30 versus Tennessee, Vandy, LSU, and Arkansas (with Omaha wins included), showing he is not a peer to best coaches, they generally own him for sweeps and run-rules lately

Cooterpoot
07-04-2023, 06:11 PM
I think a regional gets him another year but not an extension to his contract. That means he's down to one year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-04-2023, 08:11 PM
I think a regional gets him another year but not an extension to his contract. That means he's down to one year.

The biggest argument for keeping Lemonis is "keeping the recruiting classes together". I can buy that for this incoming class. But for classes 2,3, 4 years from now? What player wants to commit to a coach that's missed Hoover 2x and doesn't get contract extensions because he's a hair away from being fired?

I can't believe stringing the situation out would help recruiting long term. Keeping him this next year without an extension seems risky enough in this regard

CaptainObvious
07-04-2023, 08:27 PM
The biggest argument for keeping Lemonis is "keeping the recruiting classes together". I can buy that for this incoming class. But for classes 2,3, 4 years from now? What player wants to commit to a coach that's missed Hoover 2x and doesn't get contract extensions because he's a hair away from being fired?

I can't believe stringing the situation out would help recruiting long term. Keeping him this next year without an extension seems risky enough in this regard

Good grief! 13-17 and sneaking into a Regional as a 2 seed should not get him an extension after the past 2 seasons. We are in the era of player rentals. If he wants an extension beyond his final year, he needs to build a quick turnaround for 2024 and do more than 2 and BBQ in someone else?s backyard! He created this mess. He has 1 damn year to fix it.

Good gosh we are the most accepting Fanbase of mediocrity short of Rice and Texas El Paso.

maroonmania
07-04-2023, 08:47 PM

Yep, if he makes a regional and recruiting is looking good he will be retained whether deserved or not. Would be a significant jump from the past 2 seasons just to make a regional next year even as a 2 or 3 seed

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Good grief! 13-17 and sneaking into a Regional as a 2 seed should not get him an extension after the past 2 seasons. We are in the era of player rentals. If he wants an extension beyond his final year, he needs to build a quick turnaround for 2024 and do more than 2 and BBQ in someone else?s backyard! He created this mess. He has 1 damn year to fix it.

Good gosh we are the most accepting Fanbase of mediocrity short of Rice and Texas El Paso.

I'm saying the situation you describe should = he's fired.

ZedFedder
07-04-2023, 09:30 PM
He needs to host or make a super to keep his job?at least that?s my humble opinion.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-04-2023, 09:39 PM
He needs to host or make a super to keep his job?at least that?s my humble opinion.

That's a standard I can get behind, BUT I bet if he makes the tournament we ***** out and keep him.

I can see the message board comments next year when we keep Lemonis:

"You can't fire a coach after he showed improvement! We went from 13th in the conference to making a regional. Anyone expecting more is irrational, I mean how much improvement in 1 season can you expect? No coach would come here if we fired a guy who made a regional"

CaptainObvious
07-04-2023, 09:39 PM

And this is highly unlikely considering how far this program has to climb out of the well and they only have dental floss to pull themselves up.

ZedFedder
07-04-2023, 10:22 PM
And this is highly unlikely considering how far this program has to climb out of the well and they only have dental floss to pull themselves up.

I absolutely agree. It is a huge hill to climb. We better hope Parker is a miracle worker.

Todd4State
07-04-2023, 11:26 PM
But what I'm saying is how do we get in the position where Luke Hancock is our best catcher? Should've taken a portal catcher last year.

There weren't any issues with Hancock catching until this year. He played for LoTan quite a bit. A lot of his issue was our pitchers not holding runners close which was actually the one and only thing Foxhall fixed.

Our classes our put together 2-3 years out. There are a lot of players that want to play at Mississippi State because of the resources and environment that we have alone regardless of the coach. I'm not sure why you are panicking though. This year is Lemonis's last shot. And like others are saying I don't think a 3 seed in a regional is going to do it for him. There are a lot of moving parts here- but getting Parker was a good first step. Essentially this is all up to Chris Lemonis at this point. MSU has given him sufficient support and believe me that will us get another high quality coach if we even have to go down that path. Our baseball powers that be are not going to just let LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, and whoever else just run the league without putting up a fight I assure you.

If we go 13-17 we would be a three seed not a two. And being a three seed would likely get him fired. So I don't think you have to worry about him getting an extension in your scenario.

Todd4State
07-04-2023, 11:34 PM

We went from like a 6-24 team in 2010 to a SR in 2011 and went from being a losing team in 2015 to winning the SEC in 2016.

I think it partially depends on what we get out of the portal. If Parker can get our ERA down to 5 even I think we have a good chance to host. Hines and Dakota are going to be two of the most feared hitters in the league next year. Highfill will be better and he hit 9 home runs himself- him hitting 10-15 isn't out of the question. Mershon is a good player. Now sure we have some gaps that we have to fill and it's just a waiting game of seeing who we get in the portal and through the draft. But we have a good core group to work with as it is. I think Parker can get something out of Loo, Loftin, Holcombe, Siary, and Dohm. At worst. I really like the two JUCO guys we got that are in the Cape too. That also doesn't include Simmons and Auger who might help and whatever we get out of the portal or through the draft.

Ari Gold
07-05-2023, 05:51 AM
If what I’m hearing goes down before the portal closes it will be HUGE...

BigDawg81
07-05-2023, 06:05 AM
If what I’m hearing goes down before the portal closes it will be HUGE... I hear about a few too but one hasn?t even hit the portal yet. It?s all speculation at this point

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-05-2023, 06:09 AM
Todd you say recruiting classes are put together 2-3 years in advance, then say you're not sire why I'm worried. That's EXACTLY why I'm worried:

The incoming class was put together when we were making Omaha. Next years class will be one that saw Lemo finish 14th in the conference. Year after that will be guys committing today.

You're a top notch player. Do you commit to Florida? LSU? Arky? Or do you commit to the team that's finished 14th and 13th the last 2 years, with a HC that was almost fired and didn't get an extension and will be fired next year if he doesn't do a 180? Why on earth would any recruit with options pick us right now? BUT, if we had a new coach, it would be easier to sell to recruits the new HC will turn it around or at least still be out HC when they get to campus.

Loosing and having a coach on the hot seat hurts recruiting, and it'll be felt in 2-3 years. Pointing this out because "recruiting" is supposedly the biggest reason to keep lemo, but I think it's one of the biggest to fire him.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-05-2023, 06:20 AM
If we go 13-17 we would be a three seed not a two. And being a three seed would likely get him fired. So I don't think you have to worry about him getting an extension in your scenario.

So I take it you think being a 2 seed = he's retained another year?

This is why we should have fired him this year. He's going to perform like the 10th best team in the conference and still be a 2 seed, and we're going to keep a bad HC for a 4th year of bad-sub par performance because "you can't fire a HC that went from missing Hoover to being a 2 seed". And recruits will be hesitant to commit to a HC constantly on the hot seat.

CaptainObvious
07-05-2023, 06:34 AM
So we have 10 more days for these mystery transfers, that no one in our program has spoken to, to make a decision to jump in the portal right before it closes and announce for State?

Sounds feasible. Let?s enjoy this next 10 days of teeth gnashing, knee knocking, head scratching fun.

basedog
07-05-2023, 06:48 AM
Right now, it's all about winning. We haven't done that the last two years. So, this is most definitely a rebuild year and early in the season we should get a good feel for the team. Competition want be Sec quality but things like defense and pitching such as limited walks will tell going into Sec play. Then it's about competing and making progress to claiming a spot in a regional.
I have no clue bout the portal, nor what the future recruiting classes look like, but I will watch how Lemonis performs and they will be easy to know how the future looks.
Hope he gets us off to fast start, if not.......he will be lucky to make the season on his bucket.

confucius say
07-05-2023, 09:53 AM
If what I’m hearing goes down before the portal closes it will be HUGE...

Shhhhh.

BigDawg81
07-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Texas Tech LHP Mason Molina has entered the portal.
108 SO with 35 BB in 83.1 inning
ERA 3.67 OBA .207
Would be a nice addition for Lemonis

bulldogcountry1
07-05-2023, 10:56 AM
How many of the current roster left after the season? I haven't seen many names leaving to make room for the new class and portal guys.

On one hand, it shows that there weren't a lot of issues in the locker room.

On the other hand, it means you aren't improving your talent level.

Coach34
07-05-2023, 11:14 AM
How many of the current roster left after the season? I haven't seen many names leaving to make room for the new class and portal guys.

Foreskin
Enema
E-Machine

Those have left plus a couple more. We are losing Larry, Clark, our captain, Led…Nixon, Cade….plus the talk is teams will have a 40 man roster next season

KOdawg1
07-05-2023, 11:17 AM
Foreskin
Enema
E-Machine

Those have left plus a couple more. We are losing Larry, Clark, our captain, Led…Nixon, Cade….plus the talk is teams will have a 40 man roster next season

There's rumors that Nixon will be back

Coach34
07-05-2023, 11:18 AM

The Draft and money offered will sort all that out

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-05-2023, 11:22 AM

Top of my head: Hunt Stinnett Cade Yntema Gartman Ledbetter Hancock E5 Forsythe (the SS version) Clark Larry Hoyle. Maybe Seibert? That would be 12. Maybe we push put a few guys on tip of that.

Get say, 10 Fr in and 2 position player transfers and 4 pitchers and it does seem were tight on spots

Pancho
07-05-2023, 11:33 AM
what incoming freshmen have just recently enrolled and are on campus now?

Randolph Dupree
07-05-2023, 11:35 AM
A lot of discussion in this thread about what it will take for Lemonis to be back after 2024. I'm not going to put in any firm criteria on it but will say that I think we will know it when we see it. A 2 seed in a regional seems to be what most people thinks gets him another year but, for me, I think it matters as much about how we get there. Just getting there isn't enough; it's how we look doing it. Are we a borderline host? Did we play solid down the stretch? Were we a distant 4th in the SEC West and Arky or LSU had a bunch of injuries that tanked their season so we moved up a spot or two? Did we start the year with some injuries but got some guys back late that were difference makers? Every year there a 2 and 3 seed teams that have a legit chance to make a run in the tournament but there are also 2 or 3 seed teams that are seriously flawed with virtually no chance...the question will be which one are we? And we'll have to be honest with ourselves at that time.

WSOPdawg
07-05-2023, 12:07 PM

Nixon returning would be great.

BigDawg81
07-06-2023, 12:55 PM
I want to know how it feels to get a portal player that will start for us on opening day

Coach34
07-06-2023, 01:29 PM
I want to know how it feels to get a portal player that will start for us on opening day

We’ve done that every year so far and will continue to do so. You guys are being ridiculous

Leroy Jenkins
07-06-2023, 01:32 PM
40 man roster was approved for 1 year, back in March I believe.

11.7 schollys for 32 players and 8 walk-ons.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-06-2023, 01:57 PM
We’ve done that every year so far and will continue to do so. You guys are being ridiculous

Correct, we always get a true stud. Ledbetter, Yeager, Dubrule... We'll probably get 1-2 this year. The issue is that we need like, 5... 1 to replace Ledbetter, 1 to replace Clark and his team leading BA in SEC play, 1 to upgrade 3B, then 2 studs on the mound that can give us 8-9 really high end innings a weekend.

We probably get a good OF, 3B, and about 6IP of really good pitching. But I doubt we get as much as we need to go from 13th in the SEC to making a Super, which should be the State standard. With our resources and history being in the final 16 teams should be the norm, occasionally missing that, occasionally surpassing it, but making a SR more often than not.

BigDawg81
07-06-2023, 01:58 PM
We’ve done that every year so far and will continue to do so. You guys are being ridiculous 3 transfers. A D2 pitcher, JUCO pitcher and a Backup Catcher and there isn?t a concern? The biggest transfer target isn?t even the portal. I?m just watching every team getting transfers but State and I?m supposed to be fine with it?

Leroy Jenkins
07-06-2023, 02:01 PM
I?m just watching every team getting transfers but State and I?m supposed to be fine with it?

What's the alternative?

Cooterpoot
07-06-2023, 02:27 PM
Check back after the portal closes in about a week. Then we'll all be ready to discuss.

TheLostDawg
07-06-2023, 03:27 PM
Host = Safe

Or

Region + Super

I agree with this

Cowbell
07-06-2023, 04:45 PM
We?ve done that every year so far and will continue to do so. You guys are being ridiculous

DJ doesn't count.....

confucius say
07-06-2023, 06:46 PM
DJ doesn't count.....

Would a power 5 all American count, hypothetically of course

Cowbell
07-06-2023, 10:11 PM
Don't tease

SPMT
07-06-2023, 10:33 PM
What's the alternative?

Seriously?!

Fire the morher17er like they should?ve done. The NIL excuse is total 17n bullshit. The dude isn?t getting it done and hasn?t since champ year.

He?s clearly about to coach some but is clueless in rebeuiribg and developing.

1000% have a desire to be wrong but my gosh, how in the 17 can you not capitalize on an NC?!

Leroy Jenkins
07-07-2023, 12:21 AM
Seriously?!

Fire the morher17er like they should?ve done. The NIL excuse is total 17n bullshit. The dude isn?t getting it done and hasn?t since champ year.

He?s clearly about to coach some but is clueless in rebeuiribg and developing.

1000% have a desire to be wrong but my gosh, how in the 17 can you not capitalize on an NC?!

Im saying right now, today, what's the alternative?

Coach34
07-07-2023, 01:58 AM
I agree with this

We just finished 14th and 13th in the SEC and didn’t fire him. Do you really think we are going to fire him if he makes the Tourney this Spring?

Don’t hold your breath

basedog
07-07-2023, 06:43 AM
We just finished 14th and 13th in the SEC and didn’t fire him. Do you really think we are going to fire him if he makes the Tourney this Spring?

Don’t hold your breath

Making the sec and regional is always the goal. He would be back making both but if we lost opening Sec round then went two and out I imagine he would be gone.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 08:12 AM
Making the sec and regional is always the goal. He would be back making both but if we lost opening Sec round then went two and out I imagine he would be gone.

With our resources, the "goal" should be Omaha, a Super should be considered "normal" (We have top 16 history, coaching pay, NIL, facilities, amd Cohen/Cann/Henderson/early Lemo all showed it's consistently achievable here), and a regional is the bare minimum. Just making the field of 64 is a pathetically low bar, probably the equivalent of a 5-7 football season for us. Just because Lemo has been doing the equivalent of 4-8 these past 2 seasons doesn't mean we should view a 5-7 season as the "goal".

IN MY OPPINION, Lemo should be fired if he can't get back to the State standard of a SR. Or at least be 1 win away from making a SR. He's lost all grace, it's time to prove you can get us back or get out.

However, I agree with C34 about what WILL happen. If he makes a regional I bet the same boosters/AD that didn't fire him after missing Hoover a 2nd straight years will not fire him after making the field of 64. And we will then have a 4th year of bad/mediocre Baseball in '25 before we get a new coach.

Saltydog
07-07-2023, 08:33 AM
Meanwhile Vitello doing work in Knoxville. . . . . .UT gets big time player outta Clemson (Billy Amick). . . . .

https://sports.yahoo.com/billy-amick-clemson-baseballs-top-145259401.html#:~:text=Billy%20Amick%20has%20found %20his,visited%20Florida%20and%20North%20Carolina.

LibraryDawg
07-07-2023, 08:59 AM
When do we expect to start seeing movement?

Mjoelner34
07-07-2023, 09:54 AM
When do we expect to start seeing movement?

Around the end of May next year.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Congrats guys on lowering the standard

LibraryDawg
07-07-2023, 10:17 AM

I refuse to mail it in like some fans. In my job, I interact with incoming students fairly regularly. Cheese and Loper have been in my office with the freshman throughout the summer and those guys as well as the players are still engaged. They want to win and I think they now have the ability to win with Parker coming in.

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 10:26 AM

Who is lowering the standard? Most everyone is saying he needs to make a Super Regional to stay barring some extenuating circumstances.

Saltydog
07-07-2023, 10:43 AM

Rep given.......

Offshore Dawg
07-07-2023, 10:46 AM
we haven't lowered anything. the way the team has played lowered it.

BigDawg81
07-07-2023, 10:56 AM
I seen a lot and heard some crazy things the past 2 years. People going down with Lemonis until the end of the 2023 season. I really don?t hear from them too much anymore. They are just optimistic now. The craziest of all is State baseball fans getting put in the same sentence with Alabama football. I never thought Mississippi State fans would get called spoiled for having high standards. What a day to be alive on that day.

Mjoelner34
07-07-2023, 11:18 AM
I refuse to mail it in like some fans. In my job, I interact with incoming students fairly regularly. Cheese and Loper have been in my office with the freshman throughout the summer and those guys as well as the players are still engaged. They want to win and I think they now have the ability to win with Parker coming in.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I'll still buy season tickets and make 70 to 80% of the home games but I'm in full "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Who is lowering the standard? Most everyone is saying he needs to make a Super Regional to stay barring some extenuating circumstances.

What threads are you reading?? I and a VERY few others have mentioned a SR being the standard. I've seen NOBODY say he's gone if he say, hosts a regional but looses it. I've seen people say a 2 seed keeps him and nobody actually disagreeing that our admin would keep him in that situation.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:45 AM
Meanwhile Vitello doing work in Knoxville. . . . . .UT gets big time player outta Clemson (Billy Amick). . . . .

https://sports.yahoo.com/billy-amick-clemson-baseballs-top-145259401.html#:~:text=Billy%20Amick%20has%20found %20his,visited%20Florida%20and%20North%20Carolina.

What an idiot, everyone knows your top Portal commits should be kept secret and they shouldn't even in the Portal yet ***

Imagine talking to an Ole Miss fan about football. You say they have no QB or DL and probably won't be good, and he responds with "No man you don't know! There's this absolute stud of a QB who's transferring here and some top end SEC DL as well! Oh their names? Uhh the names are secret. And they aren't in the Portal despite it only being 2 weeks away from closing. But they'll totally enter and commit to us roght before the end! The Message Board Insiders implied it!"

You'd laugh in the face of that OM fan for being a homer. NOW, is it possible we pull Montgomery and a stuf 3B at the last second like some have said? Sure. But the evidence for it is no greater than that OM fan above...

Coach34
07-07-2023, 12:12 PM
Rosey saying we have secured our 3B guy and waiting for him to announce

BigDawg81
07-07-2023, 12:13 PM
Rosey saying we have secured our 3B guy and waiting for him to announce Another silent commit. Awesome!!!

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Rosey saying we have secured our 3B guy and waiting for him to announce

Does Rosey even have any info? Didn't we just see him throw pitching coach names at the wall because he had no insider info?

ZedFedder
07-07-2023, 12:32 PM
That?s all fine and dandy but until I see some announcements, I?m not going to consider anyone in the boat.

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 12:47 PM
What threads are you reading?? I and a VERY few others have mentioned a SR being the standard. I've seen NOBODY say he's gone if he say, hosts a regional but looses it. I've seen people say a 2 seed keeps him and nobody actually disagreeing that our admin would keep him in that situation.

We agree. That's why I was asking Bucky who was lowering the standard.

Even as a two seed I could see situations where Lemonis may not be safe. Really depends on the context of the whole season.

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 12:50 PM
I seen a lot and heard some crazy things the past 2 years. People going down with Lemonis until the end of the 2023 season. I really don?t hear from them too much anymore. They are just optimistic now. The craziest of all is State baseball fans getting put in the same sentence with Alabama football. I never thought Mississippi State fans would get called spoiled for having high standards. What a day to be alive on that day.

Everyone is in wait and see mode right now. Have to navigate the draft and portal at this time so we should get some answers soon.

Getting Parker and keeping Dakota Jordan were wins for Lemonis but still a ways to go and a lot of work to do.

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 01:01 PM
If Lemonis hadn't won a championship, he'd probably already be gone. This year was his grace period. Not going to be a lot next year. But, we've got another week before we know what we're looking at roster-wise. Could be good or bad. Feel like it won't be bad, just not sure how good. Lemonis will have to earn it with a number of young guys and hopefully transfers.

BigDawg81
07-07-2023, 01:21 PM
That?s all fine and dandy but until I see some announcements, I?m not going to consider anyone in the boat.
Same. If it Paul Jones said it then I might believe but Paul doesn?t even cover baseball. Rosie will be the last one TJ

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 02:03 PM
Nice pickup to play 3B next year. Logan Kohler from Memphis. 330 hitter with 11 hrs and good speed. Good defender too.

Really Clark?
07-07-2023, 02:04 PM
Kohler new 3B, from Memphis

Really Clark?
07-07-2023, 02:05 PM
Nice pickup to play 3B next year. Logan Kohler from Memphis. 330 hitter with 11 hrs and good speed. Good defender too.

Much better defender. K rate is worrisome but I like the pick up if you want a solid defender with what is available in the portal

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 02:07 PM
Much better defender. K rate is worrisome but I like the pick up if you want a solid defender with what is available in the portal

Yeah one error in last 15 games is dang good. Yeah ks some but 404 obp to go with 330 avg and 11 hrs and 15sb is ok.

ScottH
07-07-2023, 02:09 PM
Where does he likely rank in 3b's that were available?

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 02:13 PM

Top 5 is fair IMO. Couple guys hit it better. Overall, it's a good grab.

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 02:16 PM
Top 5 is fair IMO. Couple guys hit it better. Overall, it's a good grab.

Yeah I?d say that?s a fair rating and assessment, definitely an upgrade from ?slate the great?

Really Clark?
07-07-2023, 02:19 PM

As a good defender with solid bat, Top 5 or so I would think. Amrick and Shelton are not really 3B, their gloves are so bad. Clemson wasn't going to move Amrick off of first and Shelton DH'd more than played the field.

ZedFedder
07-07-2023, 02:19 PM
I?ll be interested to see how .330 translates from the AAC but still that?s a good get.

BigDawg81
07-07-2023, 02:54 PM
I?ll be interested to see how .330 translates from the AAC but still that?s a good get.If he can keep that 94% fielding pct, I would take .280 or .290 BA

Coach34
07-07-2023, 03:06 PM
Same. If it Paul Jones said it then I might believe but Paul doesn?t even cover baseball. Rosie will be the last one TJ

Haha- Rosey is better than Jones.

Coach34
07-07-2023, 03:07 PM
So we now have our 3rd baseman announced. More coming

raymonddawg
07-07-2023, 03:08 PM
Rosebowl was right

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2023, 03:14 PM
Not looking at Tennessee getting a 400 hitting All American from another power school.

You can honestly say that MSU greatly upgraded from E5 to Kohler. Better hitting and better glove. Probably translate directly to + Wins and Lower ERA. If this is a high-character kid like Amani Larry, then his value even better.

So, a good day for Mississippi State today.

Lemonis' note to self, if you ever sniff a title again, you have rake in the transfer portal with that glory.

Cowbell
07-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Kid also had the game winning HR over ole miss. So I don't care what his stats say, he can be a dawg. And he probably a dirtbag that we need

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Seems like a good get. Now we need a stud OF and pitchers, but 1/4 transfer needs is down

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 04:37 PM
Kid also had the game winning HR over ole miss. So I don't care what his stats say, he can be a dawg. And he probably a dirtbag that we need

Yes this! Also saw Kohler say he loves baseball and it?s all he?s ever wanted to do. Park Rat! Love those kind of players!

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 04:39 PM
So we now have our 3rd baseman announced. More coming

This. The staff has been working and we?ll start to see some more transfers coming in shortly

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 05:16 PM
Portal closes in 6 days. It's about to happen these next few days.

confucius say
07-07-2023, 05:35 PM

It's coming

ZedFedder
07-07-2023, 05:48 PM
I?ll believe it when I see it.

Coach34
07-07-2023, 05:53 PM

You saw it today- believe it?

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 06:12 PM

Prepare, because it's most definitely about to go down.

ZedFedder
07-07-2023, 06:41 PM
He?s a good pickup, but we have a ways to go before I will be impressed. If we get there, I?ll be the first to pump my fist.

confucius say
07-07-2023, 07:03 PM

That's fine. I get the skepticism. I still feel good.

BigDawg81
07-07-2023, 07:08 PM
Prepare, because it's most definitely about to go down.so, you are saying that it?s going down this weekend?

Saltydog
07-07-2023, 07:28 PM
Big time arm. Bring him on. Maybe Parker can straighten him out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/aggies-lose-key-pitcher-to-transfer-portal/ar-AA1dzAKQ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=50fc3681383a4749884eb5387962751b&ei=27

confucius say
07-07-2023, 07:34 PM
If he can keep that 94% fielding pct, I would take .280 or .290 BA

He's a 6th year guy too right?

Saltydog
07-07-2023, 07:47 PM
NVMD. Just read where he withdrew his name. The ole NIL at work I'm guessing.

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 07:58 PM
so, you are saying that it?s going down this weekend?

This next week But now, I don't know everything. Could be someone before I don't know about.

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 08:31 PM
That's fine. I get the skepticism. I still feel good.

Yea and there?s reason to feel good about how we finish.

Coach34
07-07-2023, 08:56 PM
Shirley nobody thinks this is the only guy we are going to pick up? Of course more are coming

WSOPdawg
07-07-2023, 09:11 PM

meaning once the portal closes, players can no longer transfer from their current school BUT not all portal players will have to decide who their new team is yet, correct?

It's my understanding that once a player has entered the portal, deciding on a new school can go right up to the time school starts in August meaning this will not be over in a week. Rebuilding the roster still has a ways to go.

Leroy Jenkins
07-07-2023, 09:19 PM
If it's the same as football, it's based on the schools add/drop date.

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 09:37 PM
meaning once the portal closes, players can no longer transfer from their current school BUT not all portal players will have to decide who their new team is yet, correct?

It's my understanding that once a player has entered the portal, deciding on a new school can go right up to the time school starts in August meaning this will not be over in a week. Rebuilding the roster still has a ways to go.

If they're an SEC player, they had to be in before July or they aren't coming here. The rest are free game.

Homedawg
07-07-2023, 09:40 PM
The 13th is when is starts I said starts to happen. For good or for bad. Hopefully good

Commercecomet24
07-07-2023, 09:41 PM
Shirley nobody thinks this is the only guy we are going to pick up? Of course more are coming

I think there?s some that actually believe that though.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Big time arm. Bring him on. Maybe Parker can straighten him out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/aggies-lose-key-pitcher-to-transfer-portal/ar-AA1dzAKQ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=50fc3681383a4749884eb5387962751b&ei=27

I think we have enough guys for Parker to fix. Holcombe and Loftin could be All Americans with good development. Plus this TAM dude was pitching for Yeskie, pretty good coach. Maybe he just plain sucks.

Cooterpoot
07-07-2023, 10:07 PM
I think we have enough guys for Parker to fix. Holcombe and Loftin could be All Americans with good development. Plus this TAM dude was a pitching for Yeskie, pretty good coach. Maybe he just plain sucks.

Not if Lemonis wants to keep his job. We need two legit starters. A Friday stud gets us in a regional at best.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2023, 10:18 PM
Ah man, the Auburn Tigers got the 400 hitting SS with 25 HR from Jersey.

If he's going to leave civilization, why not come to Starkville.

You can can't even get decent food in Auburn. You order spaghetti with marinara, you'll get egg noddles and ketchup. He'll be an average nobody over there . Live 12 months like a Schnook.

BeardoMSU
07-07-2023, 11:01 PM

You can can't even get decent food in Auburn. You order spaghetti with marinara, you'll get egg noddles and ketchup. He'll be an average nobody over there . Live 12 months like a Schnook.

https://youtu.be/Cf-bF_IQi6M

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 11:25 PM

If I remember correctly this is playing out in a similar way as last year. Which was a good portal haul.

This one has the potential to be much much better than last year though.

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 11:26 PM
Not if Lemonis wants to keep his job. We need two legit starters. A Friday stud gets us in a regional at best.

A Friday stud probably gets us at least into a SR. Skenes would have completely changed our season.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:32 PM
If I remember correctly this is playing out in a similar way as last year. Which was a good portal haul.

Last years portal haul had us to 13th in the SEC. This year we replace that portal haul AND need to improve the team. So this year's damn sure better be much better

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:34 PM

Oh I believe well get more, the question is will it be enough? EVERYONE is adding studs via the Portal.
Hell, we don't even have the best 3B transfer in the SECW

ZedFedder
07-07-2023, 11:37 PM
I obviously think we will get more players. I?m just curious about the quality of said players.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2023, 11:38 PM

Not saying that we don't need guys, we don't need somebody else's Andrew Walling. Especially a failed prospect from a PC we all respect.

Get the Bama Ace and Burns, we are in the Omaha and NC hunt.

There are even 100 MPH guys that can locate like Witchita's Jake Snead. Even a 100MPH Senior LHP from UNLV, Jack Sellinger with a 4:1 K to BB ratio and strikes out 14 per 9 innings.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:39 PM
Skenes os the best pitcher we've ever seen. Not exactly a typical Friday starter.

And no, we would not have made a Super with him. We'd have made a regional yeah, but you've got to remember LSU had a much better lineup and theor pitching staff behind Skenes turned it on in the postseason in a way our staff would not have.

7 innings of elite pitching doesn't make a 13th in the SEC team and turn them into a top 16 national team. Skenes wouldn't have saved OM or Mizzou either, for example. But regardless we aren't getting a Skenes this class so why bring him up as an example?

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:40 PM
I obviously think we will get more players. I?m just curious about the quality of said players.

Amd do those good player move the needle relative to other SEC teams that are adding studs from the Portal as well.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:48 PM
Not saying that we don't need guys, we don't need somebody else's Andrew Walling. Especially a failed prospect from a PC we all respect.

Get the Bama Ace and Burns, we are in the Omaha and NC hunt.

There are even 100 MPH guys that can locate like Witchita's Jake Snead. Even a 100MPH Senior LHP from UNLV, Jack Sellinger with a 4:1 K to BB ratio and strikes out 14 per 9 innings.

Yes, get the best 2 pitchers in the Portal and our team will be much better next season. More news at 11.

What if I told you the 100mph giys that can locate are recruited by everyone? That it's hard to put together the NIL for one of Holman/Burns, let alone both?

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2023, 11:55 PM

Auburn has a coach that hosted a regional last year. We have a coach that may be fired next May. They have a SS spot wide open, we are telling Cupp it's his job to loose and don't want to scare him into the pros.

But I'm glad you bring him up. EVERYONE is getting studs via the Portal. SWAC and SOCON players of the year etc. Friday aces from small schools. We've got to land a huge OF and a couple huge pitchers to gain on the competition for next year

Todd4State
07-07-2023, 11:55 PM
Last years portal haul had us to 13th in the SEC. This year we replace that portal haul AND need to improve the team. So this year's damn sure better be much better

We ended up with a CF that is going to be no worse than a second round pick, a closer that is borderline elite that we couldn't use as much as we would have liked because of injuries and game situations, Nate Dohm who was probably our second or third best pitcher depending on your opinion of Cade Smith and Aaron Nixon, a good second baseman in Amani Larry. And the bonus is we may get some of those guys back for multiple years. Our portal class was not the reason for last year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-08-2023, 12:02 AM
We ended up with a CF that is going to be no worse than a second round pick, a closer that is borderline elite that we couldn't use as much as we would have liked because of injuries and game situations, Nate Dohm who was probably our second or third best pitcher depending on your opinion of Cade Smith and Aaron Nixon, a good second baseman in Amani Larry. And the bonus is we may get some of those guys back for multiple years. Our portal class was not the reason for last year.

Correct! Lemonis's inability to evaluate his assistant coaches or roster talent or develop players or coach defense or create leaders on the team was why last year happened- not the Portal class being a bust.

I'm saying we're trying to make the team BETTER than it was last year. To do that, we need to upgrade the sports that are open- 3B, 2x OF, SS, 10ish innings of weekend pitching. So far we've upgraded at 3B, nothing on the rest yet but I'm sure we'll hear some confirmed names eventually

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2023, 12:20 AM

I think that Parker can help get some extra mileage from last year's D1 portal guys still. Dohm can get better and Gartman seemed to lose his identity last year. Powell mentioned that Gartman was not pitching like he did successfully in Memphis and prior. Are we getting Gartman for another year?

Gartman was a Covid Freshman, so has another year of eligibility

Coach34
07-08-2023, 03:31 AM
I think we have at least 3 SEC SP’s on campus already. Getting 1 more top arm would be great. Need another quality OF to go with Jordan and Hugesak.

ZedFedder
07-08-2023, 08:19 AM
I think we have at least 3 SEC SP’s on campus already. Getting 1 more top arm would be great. Need another quality OF to go with Jordan and Hugesak.

I agree with you, but that?s not stopping other teams who had much better seasons than us from stockpiling talent. With what we had last year pitching wise, we need to get all the help we can.

confucius say
07-08-2023, 08:32 AM
Gartman supposedly had TJ surgery

Cooterpoot
07-08-2023, 09:51 AM
A Friday stud probably gets us at least into a SR. Skenes would have completely changed our season.

There are no Skenes though. And we have no proven starter behind who comes in (unless Cade stays). Our lineup still needs some help too. Some extra pen pieces would be nice but we're ok if all stay healthy. Two starters and a lineup piece make us a CWS team.

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2023, 11:58 AM

I would say that we have 3 SEC pitcher prospects. Being guided by numbers and actual performance, you could argue that MSU may only have 3 pitchers an above-average SEC team would care to take and most likely, not to be starters

JC, Loftin, Dohm, and maybe Holcombe, assuming Nixon and Cade go pro. Were is Pico?

Extraordinary that after all these great recruiting classes, 3 straight Omahas, and a 6th year coach... MSU has no healthy and performing Junior Class of pitchers to speak of. You have a walk-on Junior and that is it.

basedog
07-08-2023, 12:15 PM
I would say that we have 3 SEC pitcher prospects. Being guided by numbers and actual performance, you could argue that MSU may only have 3 pitchers an above-average SEC team would care to take and most likely, not to be starters

JC, Loftin, Dohm, and maybe Holcombe, assuming Nixon and Cade go pro. Were is Pico?

Extraordinary that after all these great recruiting classes, 3 straight Omahas, and a 6th year coach... MSU has no healthy and performing Junior Class of pitchers to speak of. You have a walk-on Junior and that is it.

Like l've said several times, we shouldn't be in this situation. It's all speculation going into next year.

Coach34
07-08-2023, 12:54 PM

What about LSU- where were their returning SP's? UPig had one returning SEC SP. Auburn's top 3 SP's didnt pitch for them in 2022. Almost nobody in the SEC has a bunch of returning SP's because of the draft at age 21

Coach34
07-08-2023, 12:55 PM
Like l've said several times, we shouldn't be in this situation. It's all speculation going into next year.

It's that way for most teams. It's not just us

CaptainObvious
07-08-2023, 01:08 PM
I can?t wait to see the battle for 14th place next year between State, Ole Miss, and LSU. It?s gonna be epic to see which previous NC gets that 12th and final Hoover spot!

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2023, 02:39 PM
What about LSU- where were their returning SP's? UPig had one returning SEC SP. Auburn's top 3 SP's didnt pitch for them in 2022. Almost nobody in the SEC has a bunch of returning SP's because of the draft at age 21

LSU is buying them, special case that few others can emulate. For others 3 years is all a good to top-level SEC pitcher is going to give you. That's been the standard for a few decades now.

But unless you are Vandy, you need the Junior year to max the capability of your prospects.

confucius say
07-08-2023, 02:59 PM
If this past year's group of freshmen pitchers are anything close to what they are supposed to be, we should be much much improved in 2024 on the mound. We will see.

Coach34
07-08-2023, 03:31 PM
But unless you are Vandy, you need the Junior year to max the capability of your prospects.

But that's my point- with the draft age at 21 now- you have guys leaving after 2 years. We're gonna lose Loo and Jordan to next year's draft

AlSwearengen
07-08-2023, 04:12 PM
If this past year's group of freshmen pitchers are anything close to what they are supposed to be, we should be much much improved in 2024 on the mound. We will see.

Loo has the stuff to be a legit Friday guy, especially as a Righty. He just needs to learn what it takes to succeed at this level, which is cutting out the mental lapses. This past season, he would have 2 innings where he made the hitters look silly and then the next inning totally fall apart. This is where we are hoping the new PC makes a difference.

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2023, 04:12 PM
But that's my point- with the draft age at 21 now- you have guys leaving after 2 years. We're gonna lose Loo and Jordan to next year's draft

Depends on the birth day. Most still do 3 years to 21.

Also, CJ and Jordan prospects were not even collegiate players in the 80s and 90s. I recall losing players drafted in the 30th round even in great MSU periods. MLB is giving colleges players that never used to wear school colors. Draft is shorter and they closed down many minor league teams.

CaptainObvious
07-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Depends on the birth day. Most still do 3 years to 21.

Also, CJ and Jordan prospects were not even collegiate players in the 80s and 90s. I recall losing players drafted in the 30th round even in great MSU periods. MLB is giving colleges players that never used to wear school colors. Draft is shorter and they closed down many minor league teams.

Several organizations shut down their satellite MiLB development locations. But the current best team in baseball, the Atlanta Braves still have most of their Feeders intact. They just don?t own those teams any more. But they still have 2 Latin American player development locations, Rookie League, A, AA, and AAA locations along with their rehab and development center in Orlando. The Head Groundskeeper (if he is still there)at that Orlando complex used to be the Head GK at Pearl. Last I heard he was over all 5 fields and the training pods in Orlando.

So, they still want the best High School players in their Minor League training facilities. Especially the young pitchers.

confucius say
07-08-2023, 05:16 PM
Loo has the stuff to be a legit Friday guy, especially as a Righty. He just needs to learn what it takes to succeed at this level, which is cutting out the mental lapses. This past season, he would have 2 innings where he made the hitters look silly and then the next inning totally fall apart. This is where we are hoping the new PC makes a difference.

He's got to get some dog in him too

CaptainObvious
07-08-2023, 05:22 PM
Well now to be fair, most of our Freshmen pitchers in 2023 threw as many pitches in 2 innings as they threw in an entire 7 inning high school game against guys who would swing at anything close because HS umps would a 2 meter by 1 meter strike zone while the next one would have a 12 inch x 12 inch strike zone.

That is why Baseball needs off field evaluators that can find a guy and then watch multiple games with different umps and different levels of competition.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-08-2023, 09:28 PM

LSU- returned Ty Floyd (3.77 ERA, 10 starts, 59IP) and Blake Money (5.31 ERA, 12 starts, 61IP). They went out and got Skenes and Hurd from the Portal to go with FLoyd for the rotation- they didn't say "we'll just develop some guys on staff and keep using Money" like you're acting like we should be fine with doing for Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Upig- returned SMith (4.66 ERA, 15 starts, 77IP) and McEntire (2.59 ERA, 8 starts, 48IP). For 23 they rode McEntire for more innings (his ERA took a dive to 5.07) and added a Juco guy in Hollan and a Portal guy in Adcock to make up the rest of their starts. Again, they didnt' say "Well we've got 3 talented Fr I'm sure they'll be fine as starters next year".

Auburn- You're making my point. They went out and got 3 transfers to make the rotation- they didn't rely on already on the roster talent to make a hug jump and fill those roles.

Lets look at who State returns: Jurrangelo (8.1 ERA, 13 starts, 50IP), Dohm (4.07 ERA, 2 starts, 42IP), Holcombe (8.25 ERA, 3 starts, 36IP), Siary (7.07 ERA, 3 starts, 28IP), Loftin (3.08 ERA, 5 starts, 26IP). There's more but we're getting into sup 25IP last year so they're kinda irrelevant.

Basically you want to say "every SEC team is in the same boat as us- the rotation is made up of new guys each year" but you're ignoring that those teams don't rely on their roster alone- they add transfers. And they NEVER rely on guys who had 8+ ERAs the year before to make a huge jump in the offseason.

Do you not see how awful this comparison is to our competition? We NEED 2 SEC starters via the Portal. That's what the comps to the 3 teams you list say we need

Cooterpoot
07-09-2023, 10:01 AM
LSU- returned Ty Floyd (3.77 ERA, 10 starts, 59IP) and Blake Money (5.31 ERA, 12 starts, 61IP). They went out and got Skenes and Hurd from the Portal to go with FLoyd for the rotation- they didn't say "we'll just develop some guys on staff and keep using Money" like you're acting like we should be fine with doing for Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Upig- returned SMith (4.66 ERA, 15 starts, 77IP) and McEntire (2.59 ERA, 8 starts, 48IP). For 23 they rode McEntire for more innings (his ERA took a dive to 5.07) and added a Juco guy in Hollan and a Portal guy in Adcock to make up the rest of their starts. Again, they didnt' say "Well we've got 3 talented Fr I'm sure they'll be fine as starters next year".

Auburn- You're making my point. They went out and got 3 transfers to make the rotation- they didn't rely on already on the roster talent to make a hug jump and fill those roles.

Lets look at who State returns: Jurrangelo (8.1 ERA, 13 starts, 50IP), Dohm (4.07 ERA, 2 starts, 42IP), Holcombe (8.25 ERA, 3 starts, 36IP), Siary (7.07 ERA, 3 starts, 28IP), Loftin (3.08 ERA, 5 starts, 26IP). There's more but we're getting into sup 25IP last year so they're kinda irrelevant.

Basically you want to say "every SEC team is in the same boat as us- the rotation is made up of new guys each year" but you're ignoring that those teams don't rely on their roster alone- they add transfers. And they NEVER rely on guys who had 8+ ERAs the year before to make a huge jump in the offseason.

Do you not see how awful this comparison is to our competition? We NEED 2 SEC starters via the Portal. That's what the comps to the 3 teams you list say we need

It's not a bad comparison when our guys haven't announced yet. You'd have to assume we aren't adding arms to our rotation like you mentioned. We're going to add arms.

Coach34
07-09-2023, 11:57 AM

Nobody has said we shouldnt add an arm or two. I have said numerous times we need to add at least one quality (meaning SEC starter level) arm. But I also believe we are in great shape with the talent we already have. We get Loo, Holcombe, and Loftin throwing strikes more consistently and we will be in business. Then throw Simmons, Auger, Dohm, Siary, and more to the mix. Add a couple more arms from the portal and we should be in great shape.

confucius say
07-09-2023, 02:15 PM

We're adding arms too

Leroy Jenkins
07-09-2023, 02:26 PM
We're adding arms too

Hey, people can't melt about football recruiting so the fanbase needs something to melt about.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-09-2023, 08:58 PM
I'm aware we're trying to add arms, the point of my post was to say we NEED to add arms. Stud starter level arms. Plural.

C34 keeps trying to have his cake and eat it too- saying we're going to add arms, but also saying our Fr are so talented we'll be fine riding with them. He's said that multiple times in this thread alone

Look up- he said regarding our pitching rotation "it's like that for most teams". My post shows nobody is in as bad of a situation as we are- they either have returning guys with better numbers than ours OR they get quality arms from the Portal. The best do both. Thus far we have neither. Even if we land Holman we'll definitely need another starter

Todd4State
07-09-2023, 09:51 PM
I'm aware we're trying to add arms, the point of my post was to say we NEED to add arms. Stud starter level arms. Plural.

C34 keeps trying to have his cake and eat it too- saying we're going to add arms, but also saying our Fr are so talented we'll be fine riding with them. He's said that multiple times in this thread alone

Look up- he said regarding our pitching rotation "it's like that for most teams". My post shows nobody is in as bad of a situation as we are- they either have returning guys with better numbers than ours OR they get quality arms from the Portal. The best do both. Thus far we have neither. Even if we land Holman we'll definitely need another starter

We do have talent. Some of them will emerge and get major innings for us. But we're also going to bring in a lot of arms to compete too. It's going to be very competitive this fall and In January. We're not relying on just transfers or guys on the roster solely. We're trying to get the best we can from every avenue available to fix this- current roster, portal, JUCO, and high school.

The Federalist Engineer
07-09-2023, 10:28 PM
Houck drafted in the 1st round, should sign for the Mets.

But it was the end of the 1st round, I kept seeing he was a top-15 pick.

I wonder if this gets interesting. Not holding my breath or anything.

Todd4State
07-10-2023, 12:05 AM

Looking at the Mets draft situation off hand and after 2 rounds I'm guessing that they are thinking they can go over slot if necessary.

maroonmania
07-10-2023, 07:25 AM

Best to remember that no team is going to draft someone in the top 10 rounds unless they think there is about a 99% chance they can sign them. Too much of a penalty if they don't.

confucius say
07-10-2023, 07:31 AM

Who has added two stud starters, plural, from the portal in the same year? Stud means all sec type guys.

We're adding pieces, but Let's keep it realistic here.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-10-2023, 08:14 AM
Who has added two stud starters, plural, from the portal in the same year? Stud means all sec type guys.

We're adding pieces, but Let's keep it realistic here.

Ok that's a fair definition of "stud". Let me rephrase: we need a Friday and Saturday starter that can compete vs the guys they'll face off against and combine to give us 10-13 innings a weekend.

If we can do that, I'll be happy. If Cade comes back another year and we got 1 starter from the Portal, ill be happy. If we rely on Loo/Holcombe/Loftin to fill 2 weekend starter spots, were in trouble.

The whole point of my last few posts has been to counter the C34 narrative that the guys we have can be solid starters next year, or that every sec team is in the same pitching boat as us so we shouldn't worry too much. I am making zero predictions on what we'll get from the Portal nor am I implying we aren't trying to add arms. Just stating we need too

Leroy Jenkins
07-10-2023, 08:45 AM

Because the Mets were the ones who could meet his asking price. He was their first pick and they had the money. The teams picking in the 15-20 range didn't want to pay what he was asking, the Mets obviously did.

Coach34
07-10-2023, 10:47 AM
If Cade comes back another year and we got 1 starter from the Portal, ill be happy. If we rely on Loo/Holcombe/Loftin to fill 2 weekend starter spots, were in trouble.

The whole point of my last few posts has been to counter the C34 narrative that the guys we have can be solid starters next year, or that every sec team is in the same pitching boat as us so we shouldn't worry too much. I am making zero predictions on what we'll get from the Portal nor am I implying we aren't trying to add arms. Just stating we need too

That's just where we disagree. First of all- for the last time- there is zero chance Cade returns. He is not coming back. He comes back he will have no leverage next draft and will have to sign for some peanut M&M's and a Dr Pepper. He's not doing that

Secondly, while I agree we need another SEC arm- I fully believe 2 of our SEC SP's will come from Loo, Holcombe, or Loftin. We seem to forget that Loftin pitched alot midweek and we didnt lose midweek games. He gave up few hits. Those 3 simply have too much talent. Simmons will be almost 2 years post TJ surgery in January. He should be one of our best pitchers. We have some arms already on campus. The new PC needs to harness their talent and have them live up to it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-10-2023, 11:58 AM
That's just where we disagree. First of all- for the last time- there is zero chance Cade returns. He is not coming back. He comes back he will have no leverage next draft and will have to sign for some peanut M&M's and a Dr Pepper. He's not doing that

Secondly, while I agree we need another SEC arm- I fully believe 2 of our SEC SP's will come from Loo, Holcombe, or Loftin. We seem to forget that Loftin pitched alot midweek and we didnt lose midweek games. He gave up few hits. Those 3 simply have too much talent. Simmons will be almost 2 years post TJ surgery in January. He should be one of our best pitchers. We have some arms already on campus. The new PC needs to harness their talent and have them live up to it.

Agree to disagree on this one. Hope you're right though. I don't see the evidence though... it's rare for 8+ERA guys to turn into sub 5 ERA guys while simultaneously being able to get through the lineup and extra time (ie pitch 5-6 innings consistently vs 2 this year). Loftin looked good but 26 innings vs non con does not guarantee he can start in the SEC. We shall see. I'll shut up until we see what the Portal news is

BigDawg81
07-10-2023, 01:58 PM

That?s optimistic and that?s ok but it sure would be nice to grab a couple of starters that has been there and performed well.

smootness
07-10-2023, 03:30 PM
Because the Mets were the ones who could meet his asking price. He was their first pick and they had the money. The teams picking in the 15-20 range didn't want to pay what he was asking, the Mets obviously did.

Yeah, but it?s not necessarily that easy. You have to have the slot money to use on it. And their 2nd and 3rd picks were both college juniors ranked right about where the Mets took them, so the likelihood of getting them to sign much under slot seems low. The slot value for pick 15, about where Houck was projected, is about $4.4 million. The slot value at 32 is $2.6 million. So if the teams around 15-20 weren?t willing to pay Houck?s price, that likely means it?s north of the $4.4 million. That means the Mets would have to find an additional $2 million or more of slot value to be able to pay him and they?re probably not finding that with their 2nd or 3rd picks. So they?d have to find that extra money later by drafting a bunch of college seniors before round 10 or 1 or 2 guys at least soon that they pay basically nothing.

My guess is that they?ll sign him, and probably for less than the $4.4 million. I?m guessing he fell for other reasons than just a high dollar demand.

MetEdDawg
07-10-2023, 04:56 PM
Clark and Larry still on the board towards the end of the 10th round

confucius say
07-11-2023, 12:48 PM

Montgomery now in the portal

Coach34
07-11-2023, 12:50 PM
Supposedly this was by design

Cooterpoot
07-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Boy, that's hard to believe*

Coach34
07-11-2023, 12:57 PM
Montgomer’s PC was the PC for the national team. So he was waiting till the last second to hit the portal

confucius say
07-11-2023, 01:02 PM
Supposedly this was by design

Correct. I was told july 10 two months ago. But one day off.

calidawg
07-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Can we land the Montgomery kid?

TNDawg35
07-11-2023, 01:39 PM

Yes

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-11-2023, 01:46 PM

Insiders have been saying that for a while, biggest hurdle was him actually entering the Portal. We should be good now. He's from MS by the way

The Federalist Engineer
07-11-2023, 01:53 PM
Montgomery now in the portal

Marquee Player for those not familiar.

Madison Central kid that was a teammate of Hines.

basedog
07-11-2023, 02:11 PM

u r correct!

confucius say
07-11-2023, 02:17 PM
Insiders have been saying that for a while, biggest hurdle was him actually entering the Portal. We should be good now. He's from MS by the way

It wasn't a hurdle honestly. Just was all about timing. He wanted to get in the portal last year

raymonddawg
07-11-2023, 03:14 PM
I want some of the big in the know guys on here that have been calling Montgomery to State for weeks to put your rep on the line and call your shot now. He's in the portal now are we actually getting him? Some are acting like its been done and I admittedly doubted you guys until he went in the portal.

Now it sounds like LSU is getting involved but I wanna hear it from the "insiders" what's going on.

Coach34
07-11-2023, 03:56 PM
He and Hines are buddies and want to play together- but turning down LSU is gonna be hard for him to do. It’s gonna cost us to pull him

confucius say
07-11-2023, 04:01 PM
I want some of the big in the know guys on here that have been calling Montgomery to State for weeks to put your rep on the line and call your shot now. He's in the portal now are we actually getting him? Some are acting like its been done and I admittedly doubted you guys until he went in the portal.

Now it sounds like LSU is getting involved but I wanna hear it from the "insiders" what's going on.

I've been telling you for over two months. And I stand by it. If something changes and I'm wrong then I'll own it.

TALL DAWG
07-11-2023, 04:41 PM
He and Hines are buddies and want to play together- but turning down LSU is gonna be hard for him to do. It?s gonna cost us to pull him

HOPEFULLY with him being a first or second rounder next yr he will not be so concerned about a huge NIL deal for his one yr pit stop. And hopefully he will want to play for his home state school with his former high school teammate.
We will know soon enough.

Cooterpoot
07-11-2023, 05:08 PM
Everybody is focused on Montgomery, but he's not the only big dog we got a shot at. Not close.

WinningIsRelentless
07-11-2023, 05:21 PM
HOPEFULLY with him being a first or second rounder next yr he will not be so concerned about a huge NIL deal for his one yr pit stop. And hopefully he will want to play for his home state school with his former high school teammate.
We will know soon enough.

The statement we need to be asking is how much extra do we need to come up with and find a way as a fan base to make it happen.

The Federalist Engineer
07-11-2023, 05:32 PM

NILSU is involved in everything yes? How could they not be. It would be malpractice to not tamper with a Golden Spikes candidate heading to Starkville