View Full Version : Braves

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

msstate7
04-29-2015, 06:59 PM
FF has got his groove back. Back to line drives instead of long fly balls. Atta boy FF

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Mark Bowman ?@mlbbowman 57s58 seconds ago
Friday's scheduled starter Trevor Cahill was loosening in the pen. Folty would be onschedule to pitch Friday if they chose to call him up

Cahill in game now

msstate7
04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Tom glavine asked a good question tonight on TV. He set it up like this....

Baseball guys around the league say k's don't matter for hitters. On the other side (pitching), everyone wants guys that can k batters. So, which is it? Do k's matter or not?

War Machine Dawg
04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Tom glavine asked a good question tonight on TV. He set it up like this....

Baseball guys around the league say k's don't matter for hitters. On the other side (pitching), everyone wants guys that can k batters. So, which is it? Do k's matter or not?

I'd say it's situational Ks that matter. No one on, two out, K doesn't matter. 2nd & 3rd, 1 out, K matters.

Dawg61
04-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Damn ugly 24 hours for the Braves

msstate7
04-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Damn ugly 24 hours for the Braves

Maybe miller can settle things down. The starters are killing us. I thought the starting pitching was gonna be the strong point, but they aren't pitching deep at all. Bc they leave so early, it's starting to kill our pen. The offense hasn't been near the problem everyone thought it would be. Still think starting pitching will come on and offense will probably slack off. Just hoping for .500 this year, trade some guys, and for the call ups to look good

I hate to pull for a catcher to get hurt, but gotta figure aj would have some serious value if he continue to hit. Grilli could return a nice prospect if tigers or nats need a bullpen arm

msstate7
04-30-2015, 07:35 AM
I wish the Braves would claim varvaro (dfa by Yankees) and call up folty and cunniff

msstate7
05-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Chris Johnson fractured his hand. Really was hoping to be able to unload him at break. Not happening now.

Folty will get his first start as an Atlanta brave tonight.

War Machine Dawg
05-01-2015, 11:01 AM
There have also been discussions about the availability of Grilli with the Red Sox and Tigers.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 11:04 AM
There have also been discussions about the availability of Grilli with the Red Sox and Tigers.

I'd love to wait to see if more teams could drive up the price. At the same time though, I'm scared grilli will implode rendering him useless

Really Clark?
05-01-2015, 11:17 AM
I'd love to wait to see if more teams could drive up the price. At the same time though, I'm scared grilli will implode rendering him useless

Yeah with certain players you unload as soon as you get the value you want. Can't play the long game with every player.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I'd love to get Bradley jr from Red Sox in the trade.

shoeless joe
05-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Why?

msstate7
05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Why?

Buy low. He has more potential than Maybin/EY. I'm not saying give Simmons for him. Let em play every day and see if he can become player he was projected to be

Dawg61
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Can't hit for shit. Mookie Betts and Rusney Castillo can both rake and have 20-30 HR/SB potential. Castillo costs $70 mill though and he's in AAA.

smootness
05-01-2015, 02:58 PM
I would definitely be ok with getting Bradley. It would give us 3 potential future CF options between him, Mallex Smith, and Eury Perez. But I wouldn't give up much to get him.

His start to the year in AAA is promising.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I would definitely be ok with getting Bradley. It would give us 3 potential future CF options between him, Mallex Smith, and Eury Perez. But I wouldn't give up much to get him.

His start to the year in AAA is promising.

Wonder if the Red Sox would have interest in aj in addition to grilli. Hanigan is having an abysmal season hitting

Dawg61
05-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Carlos Quentin retired today. He's still getting paid $8 mill from the Braves though. $12 mill to Uggla and $8 mill to Quentin from the Braves this year. What would you spend $20 mill on for this year if the Braves had that money back?

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Carlos Quentin retired today. He's still getting paid $8 mill from the Braves though. $12 mill to Uggla and $8 mill to Quentin from the Braves this year. What would you spend $20 mill on for this year if the Braves had that money back?

Just curious since I don't know the contract but how does he still get paid if he retired? I didn't think you got anything unless the team straight up released you and it was guaranteed money. Again I am completely ignorant on baseball contracts.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Folty win a win in his Braves' debut. Nothing spectacular, but a solid 5 innings and a huge 2-run double. Surely he gets another start.

War Machine Dawg
05-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Folty win a win in his Braves' debut. Nothing spectacular, but a solid 5 innings and a huge 2-run double. Surely he gets another start.

Ummm...obviously. You don't bring him up and start his clock for one damn start. Cahill and/or Stults to the pen, Folty stays in the rotation.

Dawg61
05-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Just curious since I don't know the contract but how does he still get paid if he retired? I didn't think you got anything unless the team straight up released you and it was guaranteed money. Again I am completely ignorant on baseball contracts.

Braves immediately released Quentin which locked them into paying his $8 mill salary. Him retiring after the fact is irrelevant.

smootness
05-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Ummm...obviously. You don't bring him up and start his clock for one damn start. Cahill and/or Stults to the pen, Folty stays in the rotation.

Well, his clock stops again if we send him back down. That said, I doubt we do that. May shut him down early, though.

As for the $8 million owed Quentin, it's actually a savings because we could only get them to take BJ by taking Quentin off their hands.

shoeless joe
05-02-2015, 02:58 AM

If you mean that in terms of him being "out of options" in a couple years then it won't matter cuz he is expected to be up and doing his thing by then. If you mean it in terms of his "years under control" then it won't matter, it's late enough already that this won't count as a year of service time...just ask the cubs and Bryant.

msstate7
05-02-2015, 02:14 PM
2:47 PM
Atlanta Braves @Braves ? 34m 34 minutes ago
Roster move: #Braves purchase the contract of INF Pedro Ciriaco (#13) from @GwinnettBraves and option LHP Ian Thomas to Gwinnett.

My boy made it.

smootness
05-02-2015, 02:41 PM
If you mean that in terms of him being "out of options" in a couple years then it won't matter cuz he is expected to be up and doing his thing by then. If you mean it in terms of his "years under control" then it won't matter, it's late enough already that this won't count as a year of service time...just ask the cubs and Bryant.

He was up for 1-2 months last year, so he will go over 1 year if he stays up until the end of the year. You can still keep him under a year if you play it right.

smootness
05-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Roster move: #Braves purchase the contract of INF Pedro Ciriaco (#13) from @GwinnettBraves and option LHP Ian Thomas to Gwinnett.

My boy made it.

I'm not sure why we didn't bring Peraza up. Ciriaco has been awful in Gwinnett.

msstate7
05-02-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure why we didn't bring Peraza up. Ciriaco has been awful in Gwinnett.

Can't play peraza and Peterson every day at 2b. Peterson will get his shot. Hopefully he's good enough to have trade value when peraza is ready

smootness
05-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Can't play peraza and Peterson every day at 2b. Peterson will get his shot. Hopefully he's good enough to have trade value when peraza is ready

Yeah, that's why I put one at 3rd with CJ out, and if they both play well enough, I don't ever play CJ again.

That's why Ciriaco is up, because CJ is out.

msstate7
05-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that's why I put one at 3rd with CJ out, and if they both play well enough, I don't ever play CJ again.

That's why Ciriaco is up, because CJ is out.

Ok. I wonder if Peterson can play 3rd. I want peraza at 2b when he gets the call.

BoomBoom
05-02-2015, 05:55 PM

My boy made it.

curious. i'd have sent Folty back down and let Cahill start again. maybe they've given up on that and he's going to be in the pen permanently. but Folty had 59 days of service time coming in to this season, so you would think he would spend at least 2 months in the minors. but Hart during the game was saying that they expected to "finish his development up here".

War Machine Dawg
05-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Yep, that was a move to replace CJ while he's on the DL. Peraza will be up sooner rather than later when Peterson continues to not hit.

smootness
05-02-2015, 06:35 PM
curious. i'd have sent Folty back down and let Cahill start again. maybe they've given up on that and he's going to be in the pen permanently. but Folty had 59 days of service time coming in to this season, so you would think he would spend at least 2 months in the minors. but Hart during the game was saying that they expected to "finish his development up here".

Cahill isn't going back into the rotation. He's garbage.

I'm sure Folty will be on an innings limit anyway, so you can keep him up and just shut him down early.

smootness
05-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Peterson has hit much better over the last week, I like what I've seen from him. 7-18 over his last 6 with 4 BBs and only 2 Ks.

shoeless joe
05-02-2015, 07:59 PM
He was up for 1-2 months last year, so he will go over 1 year if he stays up until the end of the year. You can still keep him under a year if you play it right.

Was unaware of that, but in that case it is an issue if that's the way they want to play it.

msstate7
05-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Fredi has to start playing Maybin in cf. EY and Maybin are struggling hitting for avg, but Maybin has shown some pop (4 hr in 43 ab's), far superior defensive player, and he's much younger. Please fredi, stop running EY out there so much! There's a chance that Maybin can help us down the road, but there's no chance EY can

msstate7
05-03-2015, 02:41 PM
I guess Teheran can stay on the big league club haha.

Great job today, Julio

msstate7
05-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Interesting note...

Teheran has 3 good starts (first 2 2 and today) this year and all were caught by bethancourt. Is this a coincidence? I'd like to see bethancourt catch wood tomorrow

msstate7
05-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Cahill has to be cut.

I'd like to see bethancourt go through the rotation one time. I'm beginning to wonder how much of our pitching trouble can be attributed to aj

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Cahill has to be cut.

I'd like to see bethancourt go through the rotation one time. I'm beginning to wonder how much of our pitching trouble can be attributed to aj

You're overthinking it. Cahill is garbage and always has been. That trade didn't make sense and never should've been made. AJ isn't the reason our pitchers are struggling. The guy has been a starter for most of 17 years, including a 2-time All-Star and MVP. Old as he is, he's still a damn good C. If Bethancourt could hit and were ready, he'd be playing. He clearly can't and isn't. He needs to go back down to AAA, so far as I'm concerned. Further proof the El Oso Blanco trade was a turrable idea.

BoomBoom
05-04-2015, 09:06 PM
You're overthinking it. Cahill is garbage and always has been. That trade didn't make sense and never should've been made. AJ isn't the reason our pitchers are struggling. The guy has been a starter for most of 17 years, including a 2-time All-Star and MVP. Old as he is, he's still a damn good C. If Bethancourt could hit and were ready, he'd be playing. He clearly can't and isn't. He needs to go back down to AAA, so far as I'm concerned. Further proof the El Oso Blanco trade was a turrable idea.

if he could be fixed in a month he wouldn't have been available. he's a year long project. gotta wait it out.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Not sure about all pitchers, but here's teheran's numbers with aj catching him vs bethancourt.

Teheran w/bethancourt

3 starts, 18 ip, 2 er, 1.00 era

Teheran w/aj

3 starts, 15 ip, 16 er, 9.60 era

shoeless joe
05-04-2015, 09:46 PM
AJ calls a better game and recieves the ball light years ahead of bethancourt. However bethancourt is more athletic, has more bounce, and throws better than AJ.

Christian actually costs pitchers strikes with the way he recieves the ball. He takes pitches out of the zone where as AJ brings them in. If bethancourt learns some of these things from AJ, which is why he was brought in anyway, he could be as good a defensive catcher as there is.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 10:07 PM
AJ calls a better game and recieves the ball light years ahead of bethancourt. However bethancourt is more athletic, has more bounce, and throws better than AJ.

Christian actually costs pitchers strikes with the way he recieves the ball. He takes pitches out of the zone where as AJ brings them in. If bethancourt learns some of these things from AJ, which is why he was brought in anyway, he could be as good a defensive catcher as there is.

Maybe so, but it isn't translating for Teheran. Any guess as to why?

smootness
05-04-2015, 11:06 PM

Heck no. Bethancourt needs to improve his receiving and pitch framing, but it's not worse than Pierzynski's. AJ has long been among the worst in the league in those categories. He's also late in giving the pitcher a target as well.

In regard to calling a game, who really knows, but the results thus far this year certainly don't support that. There have been several times, the one to Uggla last week being the most noteworthy, where a pitcher has thrown a fastball to a hitter when it was pretty obvious that was not the way to go and been burned by it.

Bethancourt's potential is through the roof, and he should be getting reps. Playing AJ does nothing except potentially increase his trade value, but that probably won't ever be better than it is right now.

shoeless joe
05-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Heck no. Bethancourt needs to improve his receiving and pitch framing, but it's not worse than Pierzynski's. AJ has long been among the worst in the league in those categories. He's also late in giving the pitcher a target as well.

I will have to disagree strongly with you here. As will most people that have watched both this season. I'm definitely not saying AJ is a great defensive catcher but without a doubt he recieves pitches better than bethancourt. In fact, Simpson and glavine have mentioned it on several occasions. Now, he has shown the propensity to allow a passed ball on occassion and this is a huge area where b'court is better.

msstate7
05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
After injuries hampered his last two seasons, Braves prospect Matt Lipka is batting .368 with a .410 on-base percentage through his first 23 games for the Double-A Mississippi Braves.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150505&content_id=122451936&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Really Clark?
05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
After injuries hampered his last two seasons, Braves prospect Matt Lipka is batting .368 with a .410 on-base percentage through his first 23 games for the Double-A Mississippi Braves.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150505&content_id=122451936&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

He went 2 for 4 yesterday with a RBI in the win

smootness
05-05-2015, 04:47 PM
The numbers on pitch framing for both are even this year, and while Pierzynski was a little better last year, he was flat out awful in 2013.

He is a well below-average receiver. I've heard Simpson talk him up, but I personally think Simpson is kind of a dullard, so...

msstate7
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Fredi G said since Pierzynski and Miller work well together, likely to stay with that. And might do same with Teheran-B'court

@DOBrienAJC
#Braves recalled RHR Cunniff, DFA'd LHR Veal. They hope Veal clears waivers and goes to Triple-A

msstate7
05-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Just in case you aren't paying attention, Kelly Johnson is having one hell of a year.

.254 avg 6 hr's 16 rbi's

He's also playing lf and 3b. He can also play 2b. Kelly could be packaged with grilli or Johnson for a nice prospect

msstate7
05-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Shelby miller...
4-1 1.66 era

Jhey...
.219 avg 2 hr's 5 rbi's

I'll take Jenkins over walden

So far the Braves are getting the better end of this trade

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Shelby miller...
4-1 1.66 era

Jhey...
.219 avg 2 hr's 5 rbi's

I'll take Jenkins over walden

So far the Braves are getting the better end of this trade

I miss Walden. He'd have been damn good as closer. That said, Miller's run alone makes the deal better for us in the way-too-early evaluation. KJ isn't going anywhere. His versatility is too important for our bench. He can play almost every IF spot and both corner OF spots. He's a nice bench piece and insurance for struggling middle infielders and/or injury.

As for Grilli, he'll fetch a nice piece all by himself when we ship him to a contender in need.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Peterson warming up...
.270 avg .341 obp
He's also playing very good defense lately

Peraza also warming up...
.320 avg .362 obp 9 steals

http://m.milb.com/news/article/20150505122586080/

Might be time to try and figure a way to get these guys in the lineup together. They could be a nice 1-2 punch at top of lineup if we can find a position for both

Maybin is also starting to hit...
.231 avg .344 obp 4 hr's 10 rbi's

Last 10...
.348 avg .344 obp .806 ops

Maybin and Seitzer have both said they've really felt good about the work they've been putting in. If Maybin can continue to hit, we may have us a cf bc he's really good with the glove.

shoeless joe
05-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Just in case you aren't paying attention, Kelly Johnson is having one hell of a year.

.254 avg 6 hr's 16 rbi's

He's also playing lf and 3b. He can also play 2b. Kelly could be packaged with grilli or Johnson for a nice prospect

I wouldn't be lookin to trade him. Now, if an unbelievable offer came in that'd be different, but to me that's why I wouldn't trade him...I don't think he would fetch enough talent in return to justify. While trying to rebuild and playing young guys that are trying to find a team and individual baseball identity you need veterans to show the way. I think he's in that category and he's producing.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Mallex smith (cf) at pearl...
.324 avg .344 obp 6 sb

I like this kid

msstate7
05-06-2015, 07:17 AM
I think our biggest needs in organization right now are a rh slugger and a catcher.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 12:47 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves are 3rd in NL in runs with 118, behind the Padres (131) and Dodgers (126), just ahead of Cardinals (116) and Marlins (116)

#Braves hitters are 5th in NL in OPS at .713, behind Dodgers, Rockies, Cardinals & Cubs.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Thru 4 ip, folty with 7 k's

smootness
05-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Folty definitely has the potential to be an ace. Obviously still working to get there, but that's fine. He could be leading our rotation by 2017.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Folty definitely has the potential to be an ace. Obviously still working to get there, but that's fine. He could be leading our rotation by 2017.

Teheran
Folty
Miller
Wood
Wisler/Jenkins/banuelos/fried/Simms

That rotation could be just sick

msstate7
05-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Peterson now hitting .286 with an obp over .350

Dawg61
05-06-2015, 09:35 PM
I know this is a Braves thread but it'd be nice to get MLB updates about other teams/players too. Let's talk baseball not just Braves guys. Please. Anyone catch that the Nats now think Strasburg is a sandy vag now?

msstate7
05-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I know this is a Braves thread but it'd be nice to get MLB updates about other teams/players too. Let's talk baseball not just Braves guys. Please. Anyone catch that the Nats now think Strasburg is a sandy vag now?

I come across lots of interesting mlb stuff in my pursuit of Braves' info, but I didn't wanna put other mlb stuff here and make brave fans mad and I didn't wanna make the board mad by putting another mlb thread.

What's the deal with Strasburg? Knew he left start early yesterday

shoeless joe
05-06-2015, 10:01 PM

Well the name of thread is "braves" but that said I enjoy talking about anything MLB.

And yes I saw that and to be honest I think it's something that has been widely accepted in baseball circles for a while now. Remember the game when he threw a ton of wild pitches against the braves and then got tossed for throwing two behind Simmons? That was another example of nothing more than being a mental midget that lacks cajones!!

I also think that the way Williams handled that situation is linked to his overall frustration with the club...defense in particular. He's prolly tired of his prima Donna bitches that can't catch and throw having nagging injuries that he would've never even considered missing time over.

Dawg61
05-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Well the name of thread is "braves" but that said I enjoy talking about anything MLB.

And yes I saw that and to be honest I think it's something that has been widely accepted in baseball circles for a while now. Remember the game when he threw a ton of wild pitches against the braves and then got tossed for throwing two behind Simmons? That was another example of nothing more than being a mental midget that lacks cajones!!

I also think that the way Williams handled that situation is linked to his overall frustration with the club...defense in particular. He's prolly tired of his prima Donna bitches that can't catch and throw having nagging injuries that he would've never even considered missing time over.

Yea I think the Nats and Stras are about to go through a nasty divorce.

Dawg61
05-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I come across lots of interesting mlb stuff in my pursuit of Braves' info, but I didn't wanna put other mlb stuff here and make brave fans mad and I didn't wanna make the board mad by putting another mlb thread.

What's the deal with Strasburg? Knew he left start early yesterday

I don't mean to hijack your thread and it's not necessarily directed towards you. I'd just enjoy some talk about other teams too is all. Carry on.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread and it's not necessarily directed towards you. I'd just enjoy some talk about other teams too is all. Carry on.

Create an mlb thread on main board. I'll post in it. Oh and you didn't bother me. Half the time I feel like I'm the only one in this thread talking to myself haha

Dawg61
05-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Create an mlb thread on main board. I'll post in it. Oh and you didn't bother me. Half the time I feel like I'm the only one in this thread talking to myself haha

Nah it'll get moved to BS. It's all good I just might post occasionally other MLB shit in here if you don't mind.

msstate7
05-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Nah it'll get moved to BS. It's all good I just might post occasionally other MLB shit in here if you don't mind.

I don't care. I'd like to keep this thread predominantly Braves, but I don't mind mlb news

trob115
05-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I don't post a lot, but I do enjoy reading about the braves and MLB as a whole. I am excited about the rebuild, but I'm still not sold on Fredi as manager.

BoomBoom
05-06-2015, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't be lookin to trade him. Now, if an unbelievable offer came in that'd be different, but to me that's why I wouldn't trade him...I don't think he would fetch enough talent in return to justify. While trying to rebuild and playing young guys that are trying to find a team and individual baseball identity you need veterans to show the way. I think he's in that category and he's producing.

delusional thinking abounds in this thread. everyone who is not signed for 2017 is available if some other team actually wants them.

msstate7
05-07-2015, 07:01 AM
I keep thinking about trading veterans, but the best trade piece we have could be Peterson or peraza. I just don't see where we'll be able to play both. Ruiz or the other Peterson are 3b most likely. Peraza is almost ready if he isn't already.

Not sure if there's any actual talk, but I've read brave fans saying peraza for Aaron judge of Yankees. I do know the Yankees scouted peraza a few weeks back

shoeless joe
05-07-2015, 07:03 AM
delusional thinking abounds in this thread. everyone who is not signed for 2017 is available if some other team actually wants them.

Delusional? Because I think a solid veteran is more valuable as a part of the club, in production AND in the clubhouse,than the prospects he would fetch in return? And notice that I said I wouldnt be looking to trade him but with a top notch offer I'd make the move.

And for that matter go back and read every post I've ever made...and then try to come back with that "delusional" horse shit.

msstate7
05-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Simmons...
.292 avg .359 obp 9 bb 5 k's 15 rbi's

He's cut down on his swing and the results are awesome. If he develops into a .300 hitter, will he be one of the best players in baseball? His defense is already elite. He will be a 15-20 hr guy imo. That contract extension is looking very good by wren

BoomBoom
05-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Delusional? Because I think a solid veteran is more valuable as a part of the club, in production AND in the clubhouse,than the prospects he would fetch in return? And notice that I said I wouldnt be looking to trade him but with a top notch offer I'd make the move.

And for that matter go back and read every post I've ever made...and then try to come back with that "delusional" horse shit.

Yes, delusional. The club has made clear they are not playing for this year. A decent prospect or less will hell yes be taken for a vet on a 1 year deal that is overachieving a good bit, as much as I love KJ.

MetEdDawg
05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Simmons...
.292 avg .359 obp 9 bb 5 walks 15 rbi's

He's cut down on his swing and the results are awesome. If he develops into a .300 hitter, will he be one of the best players in baseball? His defense is already elite. He will be a 15-20 hr guy imo. That contract extension is looking very good by wren

He's already the best defender in the game. After I frist saw him come up I thought he had the potential to be a solid 2 hole hitter after a few years of grooming and swing adjustments. Looks like that's exactly what has happened. If he brings his average up to .300 and becomes a 20 HR 90 RBI guy, he would be to me one of the 20 best non pitchers in the game.

Dawg61
05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Simmons...
.292 avg .359 obp 9 bb 5 walks 15 rbi's

Simmons is already the best shortstop and leads in defensive runs saved in all of MLB. He's a star to those paying attention. I think Brandon Crawford for the Giants is the 2nd best SS defensively behind Simmons. Simmons range is insane as is his arm. I personally think Crawford and Panik are the best double play duo in the NL though.

msstate7
05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Simmons is already the best shortstop and leads in defensive runs saved in all of MLB. He's a star to those paying attention. I think Brandon Crawford for the Giants is the 2nd best SS defensively behind Simmons. Simmons range is insane as is his arm. I personally think Crawford and Panik are the best double play duo in the NL though.

Love Crawford.

You sure they're better than Desmond uggla? Haha

shoeless joe
05-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Yes, delusional. The club has made clear they are not playing for this year. A decent prospect or less will hell yes be taken for a vet on a 1 year deal that is overachieving a good bit, as much as I love KJ.

Well now I understand the problem...you lack reading comprehension skills. I said that I would trade him for a top notch offer, I just don't think one comes in. And no where have I stated we need to keep him because he will help us contend this year. In fact I have maintained all season that a .500 record is the high end for this team. But a solid veteran is a huge positive when trying to rebuild.

And if you doubt the importance of veteran leadership go back and look at the braves of '89 and '90 leading into that '91 season...which is what the braves front office has repeatedly said they are trying to duplicate and get back to. Lonnie smith and Charlie leibrandt come to mind immediately as veteran guys brought in during the rebuild/build-up to help lead the younger players.

smootness
05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I keep thinking about trading veterans, but the best trade piece we have could be Peterson or peraza. I just don't see where we'll be able to play both. Ruiz or the other Peterson are 3b most likely. Peraza is almost ready if he isn't already.

Not sure if there's any actual talk, but I've read brave fans saying peraza for Aaron judge of Yankees. I do know the Yankees scouted peraza a few weeks back

You don't trade anybody just to clear room until you actually need to clear room. So most of it will work out. Peterson has been moved to LF, and it's unlikely Peterson, Peraza, and Ruiz all develop into definite major league regulars.

I would not trade Peraza, though, and certainly not for Judge. I still see Peterson as more of a super utility guy than an everyday star. I would plan on Peraza being my everyday 2B and Peterson playing 3B until someone else is ready, then move him into that Prado role where he plays a lot all over the diamond.

smootness
05-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Simmons...
.292 avg .359 obp 9 bb 5 k's 15 rbi's

Yes. If he is a league average hitter, he is the best SS in baseball. If he hits like he is right now, he's as valuable as anybody in baseball who isn't Mike Trout.

msstate7
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Joc pederson's last 7 hits are hr's. That kid's gonna be awesome

msstate7
05-07-2015, 12:43 PM
M
@DOBrienAJC
For all the doom-and-gloom, fact is #Braves (14-14) have better record than 16 teams inc RedSox, Nats, O's, Pirates, BJays, Angels, A's, M's

#Braves 3rd in NL in runs (125); 4th in OPS (.722), OBP (.326) & walks (93); 5th in HR (24) & slugging% (.396). & have NL-low 175 K's.

BoomBoom
05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Well now I understand the problem...you lack reading comprehension skills. I said that I would trade him for a top notch offer, I just don't think one comes in. And no where have I stated we need to keep him because he will help us contend this year. In fact I have maintained all season that a .500 record is the high end for this team. But a solid veteran is a huge positive when trying to rebuild.

And if you doubt the importance of veteran leadership go back and look at the braves of '89 and '90 leading into that '91 season...which is what the braves front office has repeatedly said they are trying to duplicate and get back to. Lonnie smith and Charlie leibrandt come to mind immediately as veteran guys brought in during the rebuild/build-up to help lead the younger players.

The problem is not on my end. You said you would only trade him for a "top notch offer". I take that to mean an A or B prospect. It is delusional to not realize the club would trade him for a C prospect. Especially after Peraza is called up, cause CJ amd Callaspo are signed long terms on deals no one wants, EYJ is the backup CF, so that basically leaves KJ as the odd man out. As far as veteran presents, the team has other vets.

I dont think anyone would give a C prospect for him now, but someone probably would if he kept it up for another month. And the club would jump right on that offer.

Also, how is someone that is "too important to the team" on a one year deal not about playing for this year?

Dawg61
05-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Joc pederson's last 7 hits are hr's. That kid's gonna be awesome

He's upto 9 HR on the year which is tied for 2nd in NL. Little worried he's getting homer happy though. His teammate Alex Guerrero hit another one today giving him 6 in only 38 abs. Dodgers also have Cory Seager in the minors that's absolutely killing it. Dodgers are going to be good to great for a long time.

shoeless joe
05-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I dont think anyone would give a C prospect for him now, but someone probably would if he kept it up for another month.

I do agree with this portion of your post.

KJ was signed to provide positive veteran clubhouse leadership. He was only signed for a year because the team didn't know what they were gonna get production wise. When he got hot towards the end of the spring he made the team. So don't act like production isn't important and the team isn't trying to win on a nightly basis...they are. But, like you have said, they have an eye on '17.

I would imagine any one of the veterans signed this year are open for a trade if the rite pieces came back in return. Rebuilding doesn't mean trading old guys for young guys just for the same of trading them to get younger. Trading any one productive for a AAAA player is not what this team is about.

Also keep in mind that KJ lives in Atlanta and wants to play there so the braves have a little leeway with the one year deal. If he produces they could easily re sign him for next year if that's the direction they want to go.

This is not about KJ with me, it's about what the braves are trying to accomplish and how they're going about it.

smootness
05-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Pederson is going to be very good. The question of just how good will come down to whether or not he can get the Ks under control.

Some, like Stanton, can still be very productive while striking out a ton. Others can't, and they generally start out well and then gradually get worse.

It's the same reservation I have with guys like Kris Bryant and Javier Baez for Chicago.

BoomBoom
05-07-2015, 07:26 PM
I do agree with this portion of your post.

KJ was signed to provide positive veteran clubhouse leadership. He was only signed for a year because the team didn't know what they were gonna get production wise. When he got hot towards the end of the spring he made the team. So don't act like production isn't important and the team isn't trying to win on a nightly basis...they are. But, like you have said, they have an eye on '17.

I would imagine any one of the veterans signed this year are open for a trade if the rite pieces came back in return. Rebuilding doesn't mean trading old guys for young guys just for the same of trading them to get younger. Trading any one productive for a AAAA player is not what this team is about.

Also keep in mind that KJ lives in Atlanta and wants to play there so the braves have a little leeway with the one year deal. If he produces they could easily re sign him for next year if that's the direction they want to go.

This is not about KJ with me, it's about what the braves are trying to accomplish and how they're going about it.

i agree about a AAAA player. i expect them to trade KJ and a couple others for C prospect bullpen arms. stockpile some bullpen arms for '17. any position player they would get probably would be a AAAA player, yes.

dawgs
05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Pederson is going to be very good. The question of just how good will come down to whether or not he can get the Ks under control.

Some, like Stanton, can still be very productive while striking out a ton. Others can't, and they generally start out well and then gradually get worse.

It's the same reservation I have with guys like Kris Bryant and Javier Baez for Chicago.

Pederson's BB rates have been impressive though. Up there with Harper and Santana and Holliday (and Bryant). Crazy for 2 rookies to have that kinda eye. Gives hope that in time the K rates will go down.

dawgs
05-07-2015, 07:58 PM
M
@DOBrienAJC
For all the doom-and-gloom, fact is #Braves (14-14) have better record than 16 teams inc RedSox, Nats, O's, Pirates, BJays, Angels, A's, M's

#Braves 3rd in NL in runs (125); 4th in OPS (.722), OBP (.326) & walks (93); 5th in HR (24) & slugging% (.396). & have NL-low 175 K's.

Fact is it's may 7.

msstate7
05-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Fact is it's may 7.

Yep. We'll be way ahead of you guys by August haha

smootness
05-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Pederson's BB rates have been impressive though. Up there with Harper and Santana and Holliday (and Bryant). Crazy for 2 rookies to have that kinda eye. Gives hope that in time the K rates will go down.

True. Adam Dunn had great walk rates, too, though and still the K's kept his ceiling down.

Now, Dunn is not bad at all if he puts up those numbers...just saying that it is a concern.

msstate7
05-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Read this post on a Braves' message board...

If you remove the pitchers the team only has 151 strike outs

also if you remove the two guys not really playing much (Goss and CB -- they have the fewest AB's) then the team looks like this... Remove pathetic EY and the team looks like the second set of numbers..

AVG ---- .260 --- .269
OBP ----.334 ---- .344
SLG ---- .412 ----- .424
OPS ---- .746 ---- .768

this is excluding last nights game. pretty much our regular starters are raking right now. Those numbers include Gomes in there too, who really isn't a starter. If CB could pick up his game a bit this team could score some runs.

**edit** also, CB, EY and Goss have 24 ks to only 9 BB. That is 2 and a half Ks to every walk. Where the rest of the starters (excluding those three) have 127 Ks to 81 walks.. or 1.5 Ks to every walk.. that is a really big difference and the reason you don't see them in there much anymore. Like I said above. CB will play because of his defense and Julio pitching to him... so he needs to snap out of his <funk..

dawgs
05-08-2015, 12:17 PM
True. Adam Dunn had great walk rates, too, though and still the K's kept his ceiling down.

Now, Dunn is not bad at all if he puts up those numbers...just saying that it is a concern.

Yeah, but Peterson also has speed to beat out a lot more groundballs than Dunn to help his avg put a little bit. He's hasn't stolen much yet, but he's got 30-30 type potential.

smootness
05-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Yeah, but Peterson also has speed to beat out a lot more groundballs than Dunn to help his avg put a little bit. He's hasn't stolen much yet, but he's got 30-30 type potential.

He does. I just don't really like his swing that much. It looks sweet when he makes good contact, but he swings out of his shoes every time. I could be way wrong, but I just think pitchers are going to find holes in that swing and exploit them.

dawgs
05-08-2015, 01:25 PM
He does. I just don't really like his swing that much. It looks sweet when he makes good contact, but he swings out of his shoes every time. I could be way wrong, but I just think pitchers are going to find holes in that swing and exploit them.

I think that's a lot of young players though. Either they adjust to the pitchers or they don't, but it's often hard to predict which guys will or won't because we aren't seeing how they approach their training and their video studies and their workouts in adjusting their swing to the pitchers' adjustments.

shoeless joe
05-08-2015, 02:00 PM

No adjustments needed...hot start means great career!

Signed,
Jason Heyward & Jeff francouer

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Signed,
Every Braves Prospect in the 2000s and Counting Not Named Brian McCann

FIFY

dawgs
05-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Signed,
Jason Heyward & Jeff francouer

Because that's exactly what I said/implied.

msstate7
05-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Could we have a new catcher before the year is out?

O'dowd (AA)...

.432 avg .533 obp 1.310 ops

Ok, it's a small sample (37 ab's), but he's a switch hitter and has to be better offensively than bethancourt. Anyone seen this kid? How's his defense?

msstate7
05-08-2015, 11:20 PM
May-8 1:13 PM
@MBravesRadio
Tyrell Jenkins fired six shutout innings last night. 6 H, 5 K, 2 BB, 97 pitches, 58 strikes #Braves @mbraves

msstate7
05-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Ozhaino albies -- SS (A)

.303 avg .356 obp 11 steals

The young (18) SS seems to be hitting well

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Ozhaino albies -- SS (A)

.303 avg .356 obp 11 steals

The young (18) SS seems to be hitting well

It's A ball. And you didn't even clarify whether or not it's high A. No one gives a shit until AA. Wake us up when he gets there. You really need to chill and let things play out the next couple of seasons. We're going to suck, no need in checking on prospects all the way down to Single A every night.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 06:02 AM
It's A ball. And you didn't even clarify whether or not it's high A. No one gives a shit until AA. Wake us up when he gets there. You really need to chill and let things play out the next couple of seasons. We're going to suck, no need in checking on prospects all the way down to Single A every night.

Rome. This kid is likely to skyrocket in prospect rankings very soon.

Feel free not to read. I'm reading about who we might sign with our international spots too. What do you suggest I do with my free time now that miss state baseball is dead and the Braves aren't a contender?

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Find a hobby. Kick your dog. Be a general baseball fan. But tracking prospects before AA is a little excessive.

Hell, come join some of us watching futbol. Pick an EPL team to follow. Watch the UEFA semis and finals. The Sounders are a fun MLS team to watch.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Hell, come join some of us watching futbol. Pick an EPL team to follow. Watch the UEFA semis and finals. The Sounders are a fun MLS team to watch.

I don't have time. I've gotta check out Braves' rookie ball stats haha

I usually don't keep up with anyone below AA ball, but I am interested in albies, Davidson (1st round pick), and Sanchez (17 year old we traded kubitza for)

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't have time. I've gotta check out Braves' rookie ball stats haha

I usually don't keep up with anyone below AA ball, but I am interested in albies, Davidson (1st round pick), and Sanchez (17 year old we traded kubitza for)

Fair enough.

dawgs
05-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Find a hobby. Kick your dog. Be a general baseball fan. But tracking prospects before AA is a little excessive.

17 the flounders. PTFC!

BoomBoom
05-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Could we have a new catcher before the year is out?

O'dowd (AA)...

.432 avg .533 obp 1.310 ops

Ok, it's a small sample (37 ab's), but he's a switch hitter and has to be better offensively than bethancourt. Anyone seen this kid? How's his defense?

wasn't considered a prospect before the season. he'll have to keep it up for awhile to change that view.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 11:03 AM
wasn't considered a prospect before the season. he'll have to keep it up for awhile to change that view.

Yeah, I really had no idea who we was before a few weeks ago. Career (all minor) .269 hitter, so probably won't keep this up

smootness
05-09-2015, 01:16 PM

You jumped on him for simply giving a factual update on a prospect, and he's the one who needs to chill?

Some people like watching the farm system, especially the guys with tons of talent. Tearing up A ball at 18 isn't a guarantee of anything, but it is impressive.

I, too, like keeping up with all our prospects, even those in A ball. Sorry that bothers you.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Teheran is becoming a major concern.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 05:14 PM
My boy, ciriaco just got ph 2-run double with 2 outs off fister

msstate7
05-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Bethancourt with a huge 2-run, 2-out double to tie it. I think he's earned another start tomorrow. Atta boy Christian

msstate7
05-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Good come back wasted bc fredi is as dumb as they come. Martin should've never started the 9th. Jim Johnson was the correct choice. Martin had just got burned by uggla. Harper is killing everything so get the damn grounfball pitcher in fredi! He really is a terrible manager

BoomBoom
05-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Good come back wasted bc fredi is as dumb as they come. Martin should've never started the 9th. Jim Johnson was the correct choice. Martin had just got burned by uggla. Harper is killing everything so get the damn grounfball pitcher in fredi! He really is a terrible manager

beat me to it. have to use either your closer or a lefty against him there (not sure of Harper's splits). first rule of bullpen management is don't let their best hitter beat you, and if you have to pitch to him make sure it's the best pitcher you can use against him. Fredi doesn't know jack shite about how to manage a bullpen.

msstate7
05-10-2015, 07:18 AM
@CBSSportsMLB
Blown save for Kimbrel. He's allowed 8 runs in 12 1/3 IP this year after allowing 13 runs in 61 2/3 IP last year.
Kimbrel's season ERA sits at 5.68

Dawg61
05-10-2015, 12:12 PM
@CBSSportsMLB
Blown save for Kimbrel. He's allowed 8 runs in 12 1/3 IP this year after allowing 13 runs in 61 2/3 IP last year.
Kimbrel's season ERA sits at 5.68

Lol Padres won't be trading with the Braves again anytime soon

msstate7
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Lol Padres won't be trading with the Braves again anytime soon

Jup is looking good

Dawg61
05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Jup is looking good

True you're right. Kimbrel will be fine. I think he just needs an extended break from throwing a baseball.

msstate7
05-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Fredi continues to be an idiot. Base open... Just walk Harper

shoeless joe
05-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Harper needs one under the chin...for no reason other than to get him to change his approach. He's so locked in I'd like to get him thinking about something other than smashing the baseball. Same as laying a bunt down on a pitcher that's rolling...make him change his train of thought.

msstate7
05-10-2015, 03:15 PM
What the hell are we doing? Martin bout to lose another one. Where is Jim Johnson?

msstate7
05-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Cody Martin will lead the league in losses if he keeps getting late full innings. He was good for a while, but he's not fooling anyone now

msstate7
05-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Told ya. Martin has gotten 3 outs of his last 5 on base running but by all means keep running him out there

BoomBoom
05-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Told ya. Martin has gotten 3 outs of his last 5 on base running but by all means keep running him out there

unfortunately this bullpen is going to need a lot of innings from him, he's really the only former starter that can probably handle the workload. this pen could really use JR Grahm. or a trade of somebody like KJ for a couple legit bullpen arms under team control for awhile.

msstate7
05-10-2015, 03:30 PM
unfortunately this bullpen is going to need a lot of innings from him, he's really the only former starter that can probably handle the workload. this pen could really use JR Grahm. or a trade of somebody like KJ for a couple legit bullpen arms under team control for awhile.

Why did we pass on varvaro TWICE?

msstate7
05-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Wisler...
8.0 ip 5 h 0 bb 2 k 1 er

Banuelos...
6.0 ip 1 bb 6 k 1 er

Jenkins...
6.0 ip 6 h 2 bb 5 k 0 er

Last start for each

BoomBoom
05-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Why did we pass on varvaro TWICE?

no remaining options, probably would not be productive this year, if he was he'd start getting expensive by 2017. having just looked at his stats, his ERA isn't bad but his peripherals are terrible. if i remember right he looked terrible this spring. probably an injury issue there.

BoomBoom
05-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Wisler...
8.0 ip 5 h 0 bb 2 k 1 er

Banuelos...
6.0 ip 1 bb 6 k 1 er

Jenkins...
6.0 ip 6 h 2 bb 5 k 0 er

Last start for each

gonna be hard to not call up Wisler in June. maybe move Folty back down if there's a reason to, but as of now he looks like he's sticking in the rotation. guess that means, absent injury, move Stults to the pen and move him back should an injury occur. at some point it may be tough to carry Cahill, but since we already can't find decent arms for the last 2 or 3 bullpen arms anyway, what's the difference?

msstate7
05-12-2015, 11:26 AM
May-11 2:35 PM
@DOBrienAJC
Triple-A Gwinnett #Braves Matt Wisler is International League pitcher of the week, 2-0 w/ 1.35 ERA in 2 starts, 1 BB w/ 9 K in 13 1/3 ip

Banuelos (AAA)...
3.06 era 32.1 ip 27 k 14 bb

I'd love to call up one of these guys and move stults to the pen. I'm sure we don't wanna start the clock on these 2 and folty, but I wanna see 1 soon.

FlabLoser
05-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Its officially offseason (yes, MSU baseball season is officially unofficially over), so moving this to the main forum.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Its officially offseason (yes, MSU baseball season is officially unofficially over), so moving this to the main forum.

Good thing you acted when you did bc the Braves season will be over soon too haha

trob115
05-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Wiseler has been on fire. He looks to be the real deal.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Mike Minor to have shoulder surgery. Out the rest of the season

msstate7
05-12-2015, 07:14 PM

Really hoped to trade him this year. Tough blow

msstate7
05-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Kevin McAlpin retweeted
Kyle Tait ?@MBravesRadio 2m2 minutes ago
Tyrell Jenkins hurls a CG in the DH opener, 7.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 4 K, 80 pitches, 56 strikes. @MBraves win 2-1 on the Mallex homer #Braves

msstate7
05-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Read this post on a Braves' board from a guy that's pretty tuned in...

8:06 PM
Shanks speculates that Minor's Braves' career could be over, as the club might non-tender him rather than go to arbitration with him again after he earned $5.6 million this season.

Not sure who shanks is.

Shanks is guy who broke the story. Fox radio and scout.com

msstate7
05-12-2015, 07:31 PM
@KevinMcAlpin
Jace Peterson has now registered a multi hit game in 5 of his last 7. He's raised his avg from .171 to .297 since April 26.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Peterson with a leadoff walk and steal. Fredi then sac bunts Peterson to 3rd with EY with pitcher on deck. WTF?!!

If fredi feels he has to bunt with EY there, then it's time to get rid of EY, fredi, or both.

I would like to DFA EY and bring up Cunningham

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Peterson with a leadoff walk and steal. Fredi then sac bunts Peterson to 3rd with EY with pitcher on deck. WTF?!!

If fredi feels he has to bunt with EY there, then it's time to get rid of EY, fredi, or both.

I would like to DFA EY and bring up Cunningham

Did he pinch hit for the pitcher?

msstate7
05-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Did he pinch hit for the pitcher?

No folty grounded out to 2b = 0 runs

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 08:28 PM
No folty grounded out to 2b = 0 runs

That is an unusual strategy.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 08:31 PM
That is an unusual strategy.

Between Cohen and fredi, I'm losing my mind haha

msstate7
05-12-2015, 09:05 PM
And we lose. Sure would love to have that Peterson on 2nd with no outs again... Well if we could have a real manager.

Grilli comes back and lost game. Really need him to get it together so we can trade em

msstate7
05-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Even though we've lost 2 of 3, I'm excited about this little stretch. Wood gave up 3 in 1st inning against nats, but it should've been 0. Ball hit Maybin in glove. After the 1st, wood pitched 5.2 with 6 k's. The next day, miller pitched 7 innings with 8 k's and only 3 hits. His era is now 1.60. Then folty pitched 6.2 innings with 7 k's and gave up 2 er.

Hopefully this young staff is about to get it rolling. Would love to move stults to pen and call up banuelos or wisler. Let em pitch all year and hopefully be ready to contend for WC next season. With CJ hurt, I'd also like to see Peterson play 3rd and call up peraza

RocketCityDawg
05-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Between Cohen and fredi, I'm losing my mind haha

EY and Fredi both said the EY bunted on his own. Fredi did not seem pleased. I wasn't either.

msstate7
05-13-2015, 09:25 AM
EY and Fredi both said the EY bunted on his own. Fredi did not seem pleased. I wasn't either.

Yeah I read that post game. Fredi pulled EY in fact. My apologies, fredi. Now hart do what's right and dfa EY. He brings nothing at this point. Call up Cunningham or Mallex smith and let's get play for the future

msstate7
05-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Jace Peterson...

First 15 games: 7-41 --- .171/.239/.220 (.459) -- 4/13 BB/K --22 wRC+
Last 15 games: 20-51 -- .392/.458/.412 (.869) -- 7/4 BB/K --- 138 wRC+, 7 multi-hit games

Which one is the real Peterson? If it's even close to the 2nd one, we've got to find a position for him with peraza on the horizon

msstate7
05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
12:38 PM
Braves sign catcher Wil Nieves to minors deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/braves-to-sign-wil-nieves.html

Bethancourt Gwinnett bound or better yet, AJ bout to be traded?

War Machine Dawg
05-13-2015, 02:47 PM
My money is on Bethancourt being sent down. He's not hitting, and worse, he isn't the Yadi Molina defensive freak we were all led to believe he is. Our front office badly miscalculated with him. And worse, they traded away our best fallback option in Gattis. Frankly, he's better than AJ at this point and was a whole hell of a lot cheaper. Nieves is pretty much garbage himself, so I'm not real excited about him. We've totally fooked up our catcher situation and it won't be easy to fix.

ETA: Bethancourt, not Betancourt. Damn autocorrect.

msstate7
05-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Catcher is certainly a question mark going forward, but I'm loving the gattis trade right now. Folty looks like he'll be a solid pitcher for us, not sure about Thurman yet, and Ruiz should be a decent player.

If I knew gattis could stay healthy catching, I'd probably feel differently. I just don't think he can or could.

Hopefully Chris odowd can become a serviceable catcher

msstate7
05-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Kelly Johnson with an oblique injury. Gotta figure he'll be on dl. It'll be interesting who gets the call up

msstate7
05-13-2015, 06:56 PM
I like the moves that hart made for the most part, but...

Stults...
5.40 era

Wandy...
2.70 era

msstate7
05-13-2015, 08:08 PM
@KevinMcAlpin
Also at Gwinnett, Manny Banuelos allowed 1 run on 4 hits over 5 IP. He's posted a 2.89 ERA in 7 starts at Triple-A this season.

@GaryRTR
@KevinMcAlpin Banuelos also doubled and scored the only run. On an RBI triple by Peraza.

msstate7
05-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Grant McAuley ?@grantmcauley 2m2 minutes ago
#Braves have placed OF/INF Kelly Johnson on the 15-day DL (strained right oblique) and recalled OF Todd Cunningham from @GwinnettBraves.

War Machine Dawg
05-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Damn. Can we call up Banuelos or Wisler and dump Stults already? That said, I freaking hate the SmallPark. More homers hit there than in Coors the last several years. It's the epitome of a band box.

msstate7
05-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Damn. Can we call up Banuelos or Wisler and dump Stults already? That said, I freaking hate the SmallPark. More homers hit there than in Coors the last several years. It's the epitome of a band box.

@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Stults has given up 24 hits, six homers and 14 runs in 18 innings over his past 3 starts. Fredi said he stays in rotation for now

msstate7
05-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Fredi has a lineup I like. Not sure how they'll do, but all these guys have a chance to be here next year... Play em

Peterson 4
Gosselin 5
Freeman 3
Markakis 9
Simmons 6
Cunningham 7
Maybin 8
Bethancourt 2
Teheran 1

msstate7
05-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Gosselin and Cunningham with 3 hits a piece. I think we've found 2 guys to start for a while. Maybe they can continue to contribute.

Oh yeah and goose got the bat taken out of his hands by fredi. Runner on 3rd with 1 out and fredi called the squeeze. Goose popped it up for double play. Dumb call by fredi. Goose was 3-3

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Gosselin and Cunningham with 3 hits a piece. I think we've found 2 guys to start for a while. Maybe they can continue to contribute.

Oh yeah and goose got the bat taken out of his hands by fredi. Runner on 3rd with 1 out and fredi called the squeeze. Goose popped it up for double play. Dumb call by fredi. Goose was 3-3

It's one game. They're bench players for a reason. That said, we need to send Cody Martin down to Gwinnett. He sucks.

msstate7
05-15-2015, 09:12 PM
It's one game. They're bench players for a reason. That said, we need to send Cody Martin down to Gwinnett. He sucks.

So you would rather play callaspo and Gomes? They're bench players too and very old. Let goose and Cunningham play. They might become decent players and if they don't... So what! Play the young guys

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 10:43 PM
So you would rather play callaspo and Gomes? They're bench players too and very old. Let goose and Cunningham play. They might become decent players and if they don't... So what! Play the young guys

Gomes, yes. He's still capable of being very productive. His skills haven't regressed much. Callaspo sucks, but Goose hasn't shown he's any better or he'd be playing. Jace Peterson should be proof enough of that. So young and sucks or old and sucks, either way whoever plays sucks.

msstate7
05-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Gomes, yes. He's still capable of being very productive. His skills haven't regressed much. Callaspo sucks, but Goose hasn't shown he's any better or he'd be playing. Jace Peterson should be proof enough of that. So young and sucks or old and sucks, either way whoever plays sucks.

Gomes...
63 ab's .190 avg .284 obp .649 ops
He plays horrible defense

Cunningham (AAA)...
.286 avg .356 obp .708 6 sb's
His speed in lf will help our pitchers a ton

Goose...
33 ab's .333 avg .371 obp .826 ops

Callaspo isn't the answer and I doubt goose is but let's find out why we aren't going anywhere anyway

msstate7
05-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Cunningham with 2 more hits today. Obviously he won't keep this pace up, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

BoomBoom
05-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Cunningham with 2 more hits today. Obviously he won't keep this pace up, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

I think it's about seeing if he is a capable CF backup, thus enabling the release of EYJ. No reason to play a LF with no power.

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2015, 06:36 PM
I think it's about seeing if he is a capable CF backup, thus enabling the release of EYJ. No reason to play a LF with no power.

I'd be fine with that. Maybin & Cunningham could be a nice platoon.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I'd be fine with that. Maybin & Cunningham could be a nice platoon.

If we added terdoslavich, I'd be fine with it. Gomes isn't an everyday player. I want a young guy in the mix at every position

msstate7
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Braves are playing well right now and really have been all year except for the bullpen.

5-0 early lead on Marlins. Cunningham and Gosselin with another hit today (just 2nd inning). Peterson with a huge 2-out, 2-rbi single. I'm loving Peterson

msstate7
05-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Wow...

David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 47m 47 minutes ago
#Braves Fredi G says Williams Perez will start Wed vs Rays. Eric Stults to the pen

msstate7
05-17-2015, 12:49 PM
1:10 PM
Scott Coleman ?@scottcoleman55 4m4 minutes ago
I expect Peraza to be called up around the all-star break assuming his last injury isn't a big deal. Maybe sooner, around June 10 or so

Peterson to 3rd?

msstate7
05-17-2015, 01:24 PM
And goose sprains thumb. He's day-to-day. Hopefully he'll be ok

msstate7
05-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Miller now has era down to 1.45. Working on a gem right now thru 5

Hart should be locked up what he did to the cards in that trade

msstate7
05-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Miller thru 7 (73 pitches)...

Braves 6 9 0
Marlins 0 0 0

Miller's season era 1.38

War Machine Dawg
05-17-2015, 02:20 PM
1:10 PM
Scott Coleman ?@scottcoleman55 4m4 minutes ago
I expect Peraza to be called up around the all-star break assuming his last injury isn't a big deal. Maybe sooner, around June 10 or so

Peterson to 3rd?

I was just thinking last night I'd love to see us call up Peraza and move Jace over to 3B, assuming he has the arm for it. Get all our young prospects on the IF and see what they've got. Plus we'll finally have a prototypical leadoff hitter in Peraza, allowing us to move Markakis down to the 3, 4, or 5 hole where he can drive in runs.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 02:23 PM
I was just thinking last night I'd love to see us call up Peraza and move Jace over to 3B, assuming he has the arm for it. Get all our young prospects on the IF and see what they've got. Plus we'll finally have a prototypical leadoff hitter in Peraza, allowing us to move Markakis down to the 3, 4, or 5 hole where he can drive in runs.

Peterson was a SS before he got here, so gotta figure he's got an arm

War Machine Dawg
05-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Shelby Miller's no-no ends after 8 2/3. You gotta be ****ing kidding me!

msstate7
05-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Shelby Miller's no-no ends after 8 2/3. You gotta be ****ing kidding me!

It sucks, but hart hit the jackpot on him. He's ours till '19 I believe

War Machine Dawg
05-17-2015, 02:34 PM
It sucks, but hart hit the jackpot on him. He's ours till '19 I believe

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Miller. He's going to be damn good for us for a long time. Looks like he's really taken to whatever McDowell is teaching him. It just sucks to get that close to the no-no and lose it. I'm not upset with him by any means. Gotta give the Fish credit for getting the hit.

smootness
05-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Miller has been flat out unbelievable.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Miller has been flat out unbelievable.

And it started last year. He was very good his last 5 starts or so

msstate7
05-17-2015, 05:07 PM
5:39 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Miller leads MLB qualifiers in ERA (1.33), WHIP (0.83), opp avg (.156) and opp OBP (.229).

Is that pretty good?*

msstate7
05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Jenkins (miss Braves) today...
7.0 ip 3 h 0 er 5 bb 3 k

Season era at 3.00

If Jenkins can cut down on walks, he's gonna be a good one

msstate7
05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Ryan weber (sp) got promoted to AAA.

Here's his AA numbers...
1.93 era 23.1 ip 18 h 5 er 1 bb 23 k .212 avg 0.81 whip

Here's his AAA debut today...
5.0 ip 2 h 0 er 1 bb 1 k

Don't know much about him, but gonna keep an eye on him.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 07:24 PM
PM
@KevinMcAlpin
After surrendering 9 ER in 5.2 IP May 1, Jenkins has allowed 1 run on 16 hits over his last 3 starts (20 IP) with the @mbraves

Meanwhile, the other RHP acquired from STL with Shelby Miller, Tyrell Jenkins is working on a 3 hit shutout through 7 at @mbraves
#Braves

@BravesReddit
The duo of Shelby Miller & Tyrell Jenkins last 3 games each: 3-0 0.20 ERA 0.778 WHIP 32K 11BB

Peraza in his last 13G: .382/.414/.473 9SB:1CS 4K, 2BB, 1iBB

Mallex Smith during his 12G hitting streak: .370/.431/.457 11K:4BB 2SB:1CS

Really like Mallex. It'll be interesting who emerges our cf next season between smith and Maybin. I guess I should include Cunningham in that too at least until he quits hitting

War Machine Dawg
05-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Didn't see it mentioned, but we're calling up Perez (I think) to start in place of Stults. Stults will move to the pen.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Didn't see it mentioned, but we're calling up Perez (I think) to start in place of Stults. Stults will move to the pen.

Yep. It was part of my spam earlier haha. Perez has actually been up a week or so. He has a 15.43 era. He got roughed up by the nats in his debut, but pitched 2 scoreless innings vs reds. Fredi really likes this kid. He had a 1.33 era in Gwinnett.

shoeless joe
05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Miller, folty, wood, Teheran...that has the makings of an elite rotation over several years. Assuming Teheran isn't on a jurrjens type career path, which I don't think he is. Pretty obvious what the front office is trying to re establish within the organization.

Also, miller is becoming must watch tv. After the 1st yesterday I told my wife he had no hit stuff. I had to go out and do some stuff and it slipped my mind until I got back in...rite after the hit in the 9th.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Miller, folty, wood, Teheran...that has the makings of an elite rotation over several years. Assuming Teheran isn't on a jurrjens type career path, which I don't think he is. Pretty obvious what the front office is trying to re establish within the organization.

Also, miller is becoming must watch tv. After the 1st yesterday I told my wife he had no hit stuff. I had to go out and do some stuff and it slipped my mind until I got back in...rite after the hit in the 9th.

Love the pitching we're putting together. I'm interested in Williams Perez starting some. Fredi talks really highly of this kid and he could be a wildcard going forward. Between wisler, banuelos, fried, Jenkins, Sanchez, sims, hursh, and Perez, I don't see how we won't have a top flight rotation with wood, folty, miller, and Teheran at the other spots. The bullpen is my concern. Maybe the guys that don't make the guys that don't make the roataion will fill the pen along with Thomas, cunniff, and Simmons (think he'll be the closer).

Catcher and corner OF are my concerns right now

About Teheran... At worst, I think he'll be fine at the back of our rotation

msstate7
05-18-2015, 05:33 PM
4:50 PM
Atlanta Braves ?@Braves 1m1 minute ago
Braves have placed infielder Phil Gosselin on the 15-day DL after he was diagnosed today with an avulsion fracture in his left thumb

Garcia (AAA) called up...

About Adonis Garcia:
@BravesReddit
He doesn't walk (4.2% BB rate), but doesn't strike out often (12%). He's the kind of contact hitter the #Braves have on their roster

He has the 2nd highest BA in the International League, and the 14th highest OPS in the IL.

His Gwinnett ranks:
R - 1st
H - 1st
2B - 1st
HR - 2nd
RBI - 1st
OBP - 1st
SLG - 2nd
AVG - 1st
OPS - 1st

BoomBoom
05-18-2015, 08:30 PM
4:50 PM
Atlanta Braves ?@Braves 1m1 minute ago
Braves have placed infielder Phil Gosselin on the 15-day DL after he was diagnosed today with an avulsion fracture in his left thumb

Garcia (AAA) called up...

About Adonis Garcia:
@BravesReddit
He doesn't walk (4.2% BB rate), but doesn't strike out often (12%). He's the kind of contact hitter the #Braves have on their roster

He has the 2nd highest BA in the International League, and the 14th highest OPS in the IL.

His Gwinnett ranks:
R - 1st
H - 1st
2B - 1st
HR - 2nd
RBI - 1st
OBP - 1st
SLG - 2nd
AVG - 1st
OPS - 1st

i have absolutely no idea who that is.

Really Clark?
05-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Adonis Garcia. Older Cuban defector that was signed in 2012 by the Yankees and released. We picked him up this year.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Sounds like Simmons' bat. No idea bout defense. Ciriaco and callaspo will most likely start

msstate7
05-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Banuelos (AAA) tonight...
6.0 ip 5 h 1 er 1 bb 6 k

Season era now 2.70.

I wonder if Williams Perez got the call over banuelos bc banuelos will be shut down early bc he's coming off TJ surgery.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 09:01 PM
@BravesReddit
Mallex Smith extended his hitting streak to 14 games. He is hitting .377 during that streak and now hitting .336 on the season

In his last 4 starts Manny Banuelos (@ManBanuelos) 1.17 ERA & 1.130 WHIP

msstate7
05-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Is this Fredi's last year?

http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/5/18/8620609/could-fredi-gonzalez-be-headed-out-as-atlanta-braves-manager-soon

shoeless joe
05-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Is this Fredi's last year?

http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/5/18/8620609/could-fredi-gonzalez-be-headed-out-as-atlanta-braves-manager-soon

Eh...article was written because someone else said it. I have become indifferent on fredi. He doesn't get credit when he deserves it and gets roasted when he screws up. My opinion on letting him go would be 100% based on who the replacement is. If he keeps this team around .500 then making a change just for the sake of it is dumb.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Eh...article was written because someone else said it. I have become indifferent on fredi. He doesn't get credit when he deserves it and gets roasted when he screws up. My opinion on letting him go would be 100% based on who the replacement is. If he keeps this team around .500 then making a change just for the sake of it is dumb.

If fredi keeps this team at .500, he deserves a lot of credit.

If hart makes a change anyway, I'll have a hard time disagreeing with him though considering the outstanding job he's done since taking over. Hart's trades have been home runs to this point. If we stay at .500, hart will deserve a ton of credit in that too considering he built for the future and put a decent team on the field in the present. Simply put... I trust hart's decision making.

About .500... It might not be a good thing. If we aren't gonna make playoffs, it's probably better to bomb and get picks as high as possible

shoeless joe
05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
If fredi keeps this team at .500, he deserves a lot of credit.

If hart makes a change anyway, I'll have a hard time disagreeing with him though considering the outstanding job he's done since taking over. Hart's trades have been home runs to this point. If we stay at .500, hart will deserve a ton of credit in that too considering he built for the future and put a decent team on the field in the present. Simply put... I trust hart's decision making.

About .500... It might not be a good thing. If we aren't gonna make playoffs, it's probably better to bomb and get picks as high as possible

Agree with everything except that last paragraph. Young guys need a good confidence building season, and surpassing expectations will do just that. I don't think this team is as far off from contending within the division as folks think.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Agree with everything except that last paragraph. Young guys need a good confidence building season, and surpassing expectations will do just that. I don't think this team is as far off from contending within the division as folks think.

With a solid bullpen, we're probably 1st place right now and that's with wood and Teheran underperforming especially Teheran

msstate7
05-19-2015, 09:32 AM
@MBravesRadio
Last 3 Tyrell Jenkins outings: 20.0 IP, 16 H, 1 R, 12 K. ERA drops from 5.04 to 3.00. Groundout to Flyout from 1.21 to 1.49 #Braves @MBraves

msstate7
05-19-2015, 11:18 AM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves are 8-7 in May with a .272 BA, 3.79 ERA, 65 runs, 9 HR. Current 3-game win streak is their longest since 5-0 start.

#Braves 2B Peterson's past 19 games: 24-for-68 (.353) w/ 2 doub, HR, 13 RBIs, 8 BB, 8 K, .416 OBP, .426 slugging %..

msstate7
05-19-2015, 02:16 PM
2:22 PM
David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 9m 9 minutes ago
#Braves signed RH reliever Nick Massett and optioned Cody Martin to Triple-A.

David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 8m 8 minutes ago
#Braves made room on 40-man for Massett by DFA'd right-hander John Cornely

David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 7m 7 minutes ago
Massett, 33, had a 1.86 ERA in 8 appearances (6 K, 1 BB, 9 2/3 IP) and elected free agency after clearing waivers yesterday). #Braves

smootness
05-19-2015, 02:25 PM
I hope Garcia starts. He's not young, but he's hit very well the last couple years in the minors, so it's time to see if he can do it at the major league level. No reason to call him up if you're just going to put him on the bench.

I think his bat is potentially better than what Simmons has given us before this year, though.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 02:38 PM
I hope Garcia starts. He's not young, but he's hit very well the last couple years in the minors, so it's time to see if he can do it at the major league level. No reason to call him up if you're just going to put him on the bench.

I think his bat is potentially better than what Simmons has given us before this year, though.

From what I've gathered, he's worse than CJ with the glove. May not can afford to play him if his defense is that bad. Ciriaco draws the start tonight BTW

Peterson 2B
Ciriaco 3B
Freeman 1B
Markakis RF
Cunningham LF
Pierzynski C
Simmons SS
Maybin CF
Foltynewicz P

smootness
05-19-2015, 02:58 PM
His range factor seems to be a good bit better than Johnson's. He may not be quite as sure-handed as Johnson, but there's no way he has less range.

I just can't wait until we're able to call Peraza up. Ciriaco batting 2nd is hilarious and sad.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 03:15 PM
I just can't wait until we're able to call Peraza up. Ciriaco batting 2nd is hilarious and sad.

I can't wait for peraza either, but don't hate on my boy, ciriaco. He was our best hitter in ST and has hit since he got called up (very small sample)...

.429 Avg 1.375 ops 2 doubles and 1 triple 3 rbi's

Do I think he'll keep this up? Nah, but it would be nice if he can play well till CJ or goose is back anyway.

I'm beginning to wonder if peraza will get called up this year. This was the perfect time to move Peterson to 3b and call up peraza, but we didn't

BoomBoom
05-19-2015, 03:42 PM
I can't wait for peraza either, but don't hate on my boy, ciriaco. He was our best hitter in ST and has hit since he got called up (very small sample)...

.429 Avg 1.375 ops 2 doubles and 1 triple 3 rbi's

Do I think he'll keep this up? Nah, but it would be nice if he can play well till CJ or goose is back anyway.

I'm beginning to wonder if peraza will get called up this year. This was the perfect time to move Peterson to 3b and call up peraza, but we didn't

By service time, this is a terrible time to call him up.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 03:45 PM
By service time, this is a terrible time to call him up.

I'm certainly no gm. When is the best time?

Oh and I forgot peraza was banged up last week so this wouldn't be a good time anyway

msstate7
05-19-2015, 04:10 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves will use Garcia as PH, might not get a start with Ciriaco and Callaspo to play 3rd till CJohnson returns

#Braves CJohnson could be ready as soon as road trip Monday, was cleared to begin more extensive activities.

#Braves will have Cody Martin start at Gwinnett, to get innings and be ready to relieve or spot start if brought back.

msstate7
05-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Cahill seems to be righting the ship. He's put up 0's in 4 of his last 5 outings. During that stretch...

6.2 ip 1 er 4 k 1.45 era

He's getting ground balls again.

Hopefully Cahill can keep this up.

BoomBoom
05-20-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm certainly no gm. When is the best time?

Oh and I forgot peraza was banged up last week so this wouldn't be a good time anyway

Early June. Not sure which day exactly, it won't be deteemined for 3 more years, but at that point he wont be a Super 2 anymore and the team gets an extra year of control withouy arbitration. it's a difference of several million in eventual salary.

msstate7
05-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Early June. Not sure which day exactly, it won't be deteemined for 3 more years, but at that point he wont be a Super 2 anymore and the team gets an extra year of control withouy arbitration. it's a difference of several million in eventual salary.

Ok, thanks. That's why I've seen some projections for him to be up next month

BoomBoom
05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Ok, thanks. That's why I've seen some projections for him to be up next month

To be more specific, if called up now he makes the minimum in 2015, 16, and 17, amd arbitration in 18, 19, 20, and 21. If called up after the Super 2 cutoff he makes the minimum thru 2018 and then arbitration thru 2021. I'd estimate the difference to be about $8M in salary for him.

msstate7
05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
To be more specific, if called up now he makes the minimum in 2015, 16, and 17, amd arbitration in 18, 19, 20, and 21. If called up after the Super 2 cutoff he makes the minimum thru 2018 and then arbitration thru 2021. I'd estimate the difference to be about $8M in salary for him.

Big difference.

Thanks for clearing it up. I need to study the business side of mlb more

msstate7
05-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Ok, I'm impressed by Perez.

5.0 ip 6 h 1 er 7 k 1 bb

shoeless joe
05-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Ok, I'm impressed by Perez.

5.0 ip 6 h 1 er 7 k 1 bb

Good movement and seemed to be a bulldog on the mound. But his long arm action causes him to be inconsistent with his off speed in particular and he struggled to locate on occassion.

This is the only time I've seen him pitch and Vincente Padilla came to mind pretty quickly. I actually like his stuff outta the pen better...yes I'm aware he's struggled so far coming in from the pen. Be interesting to see how he fairs from here on out.

msstate7
05-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Good movement and seemed to be a bulldog on the mound. But his long arm action causes him to be inconsistent with his off speed in particular and he struggled to locate on occassion.

This is the only time I've seen him pitch and Vincente Padilla came to mind pretty quickly. I actually like his stuff outta the pen better...yes I'm aware he's struggled so far coming in from the pen. Be interesting to see how he fairs from here on out.

He actually just got lit up in his debut as reliever vs nats. He bounced back and went 2.0 scoreless vs reds. After that .1 ip disaster vs nats, he's pitched 7.0 innings and given up 1 er and struck out 9. Nats disaster was tied to walks if memory serves me right

msstate7
05-21-2015, 07:31 AM
KevinMcAlpin
Fredi: "Cunniff is emerging himself into a guy you trust in high leverage situations"
Righties now 0-for-28 vs Cunniff

#Braves bullpen tossed 4 more scoreless innings tonight. Over the last 7 games, the Atlanta pen has posted a 1.35 ERA (3 ER/20 IP)

If the bullpen can continue to pitch well, my prediction for .500 is certainly attainable.

Really interested in if peraza will get the call up in June. If he does, how will we play Peterson? Will he be 3b? Will he platoon at 3b with Cj, 2b with peraza, and spot start for Simmons? I'd like Peterson to learn lf too and use him like we did with Prato.

msstate7
05-21-2015, 07:37 AM
A bullpen arm to keep an eye on is Ian Thomas (lhp).

Mlb stats this year...
2.70 era 3.1 ip 3 k 3 bb 2 h

Minor league (AA and AAA)...
0.00 era 15.2 ip 20 k 1 bb 5 h

KB21
05-21-2015, 07:54 AM
One of the biggest moves the Braves made this off season was the reorganization of the scouting staff. Tony DeMacio was demoted, and Brian Bridges promoted to scouting director. They brought back Tom Battista as a scout, and they also brought Roy Clark back as a "special assistant". The Roy Clark drafts from 2000-2009 were loaded with talent, and since Roy left, that talent has steadily declined in the system.

In about 3 weeks, the fruits of these guys labor will bear out. Atlanta has 6 draft picks in the top 85 picks in the draft. I'm anticipating a renewed focus on high school talent, especially local high school talent. Two players that Atlanta has been heavily connected with are Kennesaw Mountain catcher Tyler Stephenson and Griffin 3B prospect Cornelius Randolph. Both are high level bats that could really give two weak positions in the system a boost. They are also heavily looking at high school pitching again.

Really Clark?
05-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Teheran was dealing tonight

msstate7
05-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Nice win tonight to get to .500. Teheran pitched very well. Bethancourt called a great game to Teheran and got 3 hits (2 doubles) and an rbi.

Really hope we start Bethancourt again tomorrow with wood

msstate7
05-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Teheran was dealing tonight

Really was. Not sure what to make of his velocity being down though

msstate7
05-21-2015, 08:54 PM
What's the saying about 50 games? If you're in it after 50, you're in it? Well the Braves are at 20-20 and here's their next 10 games...

Brewers 3x
at Dodgers 3x
at Giants 4x

If we're at .500 after that stretch, I think we might have a decent team

msstate7
05-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Oh and Maybin may end up being a nice piece. He's only 27 and he was a top 100 prospect at one time. It'll be interesting how long he can hold off Mallex smith

Really Clark?
05-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Really was. Not sure what to make of his velocity being down though

Not really concerned unless it stays down the next couple of starts or continues to decline, that may be a big issue then. My feeling is they have been working on an adjustment and either he is still a little awkward with it a little bit or the adjustment created the drop but he has gained some control and movement. Need to compare and see what the next start looks like.

smootness
05-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Oh and Maybin may end up being a nice piece. He's only 27 and he was a top 100 prospect at one time. It'll be interesting how long he can hold off Mallex smith

Haha you're underselling his prospect status a tad. He was a top 10 prospect 3 years in a row. He actually just turned 28; I don't think his ceiling is anywhere near where it used to be, but he's certainly been a very pleasant surprise so far.

Eury Perez has looked good in Gwinnett as well. Suddenly we have some options in CF going forward.

Really Clark?
05-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Haha you're underselling his prospect status a tad. He was a top 10 prospect 3 years in a row. He actually just turned 28; I don't think his ceiling is anywhere near where it used to be, but he's certainly been a very pleasant surprise so far.

Eudy Perez has looked good in Gwinnett as well. Suddenly we have some options in CF going forward.

I think it's way to early to know how the trades and moves we made will be truly impactful for the organization in the future. But the early returns look very promising and so far even some of the "extra" guys are having higher value than initially thought. I liked most of the moves we made before hand but still have been pleasantly surprised.

msstate7
05-22-2015, 07:26 AM
May-21 11:22 PM
REHAB UPDATE
Braves third baseman Chris Johnson will take batting practice at Turner Field this weekend and begin a Minor League rehab assignment on Monday. If all goes well, he will be activated for Thursday's series opener in San Francisco. Johnson has been sidelined since May 2 with multiple bone bruises in his left hand.

msstate7
05-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Hart has done a terrific job, but he messed up big time keeping stults over wandy. Hart, it's time. Please dfa stults. Stults brings nothing and gives us no chance when he pitches. We have a long man (Cahill) with a high era. There's no need for 2. Ian Thomas has been called up so you have 2 lh relievers. I love the Braves, but I can't stand watching when stults pitches

Really Clark?
05-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Hart has done a terrific job, but he messed up big time keeping stults over wandy. Hart, it's time. Please dfa stults. Stults brings nothing and gives us no chance when he pitches. We have a long man (Cahill) with a high era. There's no need for 2. Ian Thomas has been called up so you have 2 lh relievers. I love the Braves, but I can't stand watching when stults pitches

I think others had as much to say about who to keep. Not sure that is on Hart alone. But you have to admit at the time of the decision Wandy was trending in the wrong direction and does have injury history. Doesn't change how bad he and Cahill did tonight.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2015, 09:39 PM
As soon as I got the ESPN alert that Woods had been scratched and Stults was getting the start, I knew we were screwed tonight. He's hot garbage. I have no idea why he's still on the team. His ass needs to be cut yesterday.

KB21
05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
As soon as I got the ESPN alert that Woods had been scratched and Stults was getting the start, I knew we were screwed tonight. He's hot garbage. I have no idea why he's still on the team. His ass needs to be cut yesterday.

It's time to go ahead and promote Matt Wisler.

cbrunt29
05-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Wandy Rodriguez was bad but couldn't possibly be worse than Stults

cbrunt29
05-22-2015, 10:50 PM
21 ER in past 21 innings for Stults..
Damn

msstate7
05-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Wandy...
3.38 era 34.2 ip 27 h 29 k 13 bb 1.15 whip

Stults...
6.34 era 44 ip 47 h 30 k 13 bb 1.29 whip (before tonight)

msstate7
05-22-2015, 11:09 PM

I think the roataion is fine for now with Teheran, wood, miller, folty, and Perez. I do want to cut stults. If Ian Thomas will step up, I think stults will be gone soon

dawgs
05-23-2015, 08:10 AM

Braves aren't winning this year. Wait 2 more weeks so he's not a super 2 player.

msstate7
05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Braves inquired about lucroy. I think this says a lot about what we think of bethancourt. Wonder if we'll continue to look for a catcher. Anyone know FA catchers this year?

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/5/22/8644911/braves-inquired-jonathan-lucroy-trade

smootness
05-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Braves inquired about lucroy. I think this says a lot about what we think of bethancourt. Wonder if we'll continue to look for a catcher. Anyone know FA catchers this year?

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/5/22/8644911/braves-inquired-jonathan-lucroy-trade

Wieters. I wouldn't mind going after him.

msstate7
05-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Wieters. I wouldn't mind going after him.

I agree. I think we're a wildcard team next year at worst with him. Love our pitching assuming we sure up pen some

msstate7
05-23-2015, 10:29 AM
If Jim Johnson keeps pitching well, I think I wanna hold on to him. His velocity is still good. Id trade grilli though

msstate7
05-23-2015, 10:31 AM
@BravesReddit
Josh Elander, the player traded for Trevor Cahill, has been released by the Diamondbacks

Here is another reminder that Mallex Smith is pretty good. Last 19 games: .391/.440/.478 11R, 8RBI, 7SB

Ryan Kelly 1.0IP H 1K - season era: 0.48 - Last 14 games: 1-1 8S, 0.00 ERA, 0.847 WHIP 16K

Tyrell Jenkins last 4 games: 27IP 1.00 ERA 1.148 WHIP

msstate7
05-23-2015, 10:31 AM
I think Jenkins will be the best of the farm pitchers

trob115
05-23-2015, 11:48 AM
I think if we could get wieters as a club friendly deal , we should jump on it. He's a proven catcher and something we desperately need. I wish we could've gotten Lucroy this year. Bethancourt just isn't the answer at catcher.

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2015, 12:28 PM
While we really need a catcher, I wouldn't pull the trigger this season. We're "improved", but the veteran players are privately saying the best they think we can do is the 2nd Wild Card spot. And even that is questionable. One player probably isn't changing that. Plus we'd have to give up at least one premium prospect, probably more, to get Lucroy. If you're building for the future, it doesn't make sense to move the developmental guys now. Plus we'd have to include Bethancourt most likely, and I'd imagine the Brewers have seen enough of him so far to know he isn't a good return for them. Wait another year and there will probably be a more viable option. Riding out the season as a middle of the road team is better than most of us predicted for this season, so enjoy being improved while stocking the farm system.

smootness
05-23-2015, 12:54 PM
While we really need a catcher, I wouldn't pull the trigger this season. We're "improved", but the veteran players are privately saying the best they think we can do is the 2nd Wild Card spot. And even that is questionable. One player probably isn't changing that. Plus we'd have to give up at least one premium prospect, probably more, to get Lucroy. If you're building for the future, it doesn't make sense to move the developmental guys now. Plus we'd have to include Bethancourt most likely, and I'd imagine the Brewers have seen enough of him so far to know he isn't a good return for them. Wait another year and there will probably be a more viable option. Riding out the season as a middle of the road team is better than most of us predicted for this season, so enjoy being improved while stocking the farm system.

I agree. That's why I'd just sign Wieters in the offseason and draft Tyler Stephenson, prep catcher, if he's there at 14. Then let Wieters be the guy for a few years.

trob115
05-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Callaspo is garbage. We need to ship him down to AAA or release him.