Quote Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
Tusk you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject. Each year I hunt northern whitetail that are often 200lbs and larger. The guys I hunt with up there scoff at .243 because they say it doesn't have the knockdown power needed for up there. They say .270 bare minimum and most shoot a 7mn mag, .30-06, or .300 mag
What Basedog said...

The next time one of those ass clowns says that, tell him this: "The ability to shoot accurately and ethically is often inversely proportional to caliber"... drop the mic, then mix a drink...

A larger caliber mitigates poor marksmanship and adverse shooting conditions (high wind).

The "standard" accepted amount of energy to "knock down" a whitetail is 1000#... IMO, that's for a "poorly placed round"... As one's ability to put said round EXACTLY where they want, that number drops exponentially... I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a (static) deer at 250-300 yards (in no wind) with my 223 (500-600# at 250-300 yds).

Off the top of my head, my 270 round crosses the 1000# mark at about 600 yards, the 243 at about 400 yards... Additionally, as recoil decreases, accuracy increases for most people...

I used to broker hunting/fishing trips in the western hemisphere and I asked one of my outfitters (Colorado) about shooting Elk with 270... He laughed and said "That's plenty of gun. We ask our guests to bring 7 mags and 300s because we don't know if they can shoot, or not."

I am fortunate that I grew up in the woods and shot stuff all the time growing up, learned additional skills in the Corps and currently have my own rifle range in my "back yard"... I shoot a fair amount. I also zero weapons for a lot of people and teach a little bit... All of that shooting increases confidence, and "confidence" is the real "killer", imo.

Short answer: If you can shoot, ride that 243 pony until it flips over, tits up.

I love talkin' 'bout this shit... feel free to ask anything; if I can help, I will.