Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
107-73 in 5 1/2 seasons (one of which was below .500) is winning, and winning at a rate higher than all but 1 coach since integration. I look at our basketball team in much of the same vein as football - we are a developmental program that will have it's ups and downs. More than anything we need stability at the coaching level in order to build a culture and continuity. If the coach is winning, then I'm not going to look to fire them unless there are circumstances that warrant it (like a rotten culture , see Moorhead, Joseph).
I want to see what Howland can do with these guys. They are young, seem to be coachable, and seem to be MSU kids (unlike Newman, Peters, and even Q - who were all here for an NBA payday).
I can't disagree with this take enough. There's absolutely no comparison to football and basketball. Also don't think a coach staying for a period of time builds anything but complacency unless it's a Saban type coach. Winning in basketball means making the tournament regularly. We can do it if we want to put what's required into it. But we won't. Which is why a large number of fans just don't care and will settle for this.