There is no question that their profile has dropped dramatically in the past 50 years. I think it has to do with several factors.

1. Johnny Vaught was their best coach in school history and was legitimately elite. They haven't found anyone close since he resigned.

2. Mississippi State hiring Bob Tyler. He was the first MSU coach to have high level success other than just a one off year like 1963 since Shira. He basically helped level the playing field. If Ole Miss hires Bob Tyler instead of Kinard we may be Iowa State right now.

3. Integration had a major impact without question. The majority of SEC football players are African American and Ole Miss has used symbols that are offensive to them for years.

4. I think Alabama and Ole Miss at one time in the late 1960's had a chance to separate themselves from the pack in the south as the team of the south. Alabama and Bear Bryant did most things better than Vaught and Ole Miss. Bryant encouraged integration. He played a more difficult regional type schedule playing people like Clemson, USC, Notre Dame, and etc. whereas Ole Miss continued to mostly play people like Chattanooga. While this resulted in Bama having a couple of down years in the late 60's and very early 70's it paid off for them in the long run. I think the fact that Bear Bryant was still in his prime and Vaught was having health issues also contributed somewhat as well.