Page 389 of 392 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391 ... LastLast
Results 7,761 to 7,780 of 7821

Thread: 2019 Recruiting Thread

vCash
    I don't want rehash what has already been said, but the biggest issue to me is that we didn't sign enough. Last year we enrolled 20 kids. 2 of them were juco. 18 HS kids.

This year we have signed 22 one of which is a transfer. Four of them are juco. One of the HS kids most likely won't make it grade wise. That makes 16 HS kids.

34 High school kids in two years.

In two years we have signed/enrolled 42 total. That is probation. Regardless of how you look at it, we have self imposed probation on ourselves. We could have counted back several in this year's class, but for some reason we didn't. By my count, we have 60 on scholarship headed into next year right now, before anyone else transfers out. 20 of those are seniors. By only adding potentially 21 players - before anyone else transfers out means we could be at below 81 scholarship players next year. If we lose a few seniors who want to play as oppose to sit on the bench, same with juniors we could be in the high 70s.

I'm not going to get bogged down on players he missed on and recruiting battles that he whiffed, I'm talking big picture. If we go into next season with less than 80 scholarship players (im not counting walk ons given a scholly) that is an institutional failure that he has to be held accountable for if we have a lackluster season next year.

Also, this puts tremendous pressure on next year's class considering we have 20 seniors as of now on the team.
    Last edited by HancockCountyDog; 02-06-2019 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I say why wait. I would like to see what we could do if we were more positive as a fan base for one entire recruiting cycle. What if all of our fans started to follow and retweet our prospects, show up to their games wearing all maroon, ringing cowbells every time they make a play, etc. Showing the prospects we are rooting for them. What would happen if everyone pulled the rope in the same direction and was cautious about talking about whether a player is good enough, has good enough grades, is an asshole, whatever.

Message boards are way to public to speak about our potential athletes or actual athletes the way we do most times.
    I somewhat agree. I think with the page turning with the 2020 cycle officially starting, we need to start being careful what we post and say about recruits. It doesn't make the difference in most cases, but it can matter. I'm all for being more positive, mostly because it doesn't matter, we're going to finish 8-12ish in the SEC rankings anyway. Might as well not make myself miserable at the decisions of 18 year old kids.

vCash
    Also, any "commit" we have right now, isn't really a commit. It's way too early in the process for all that. I think a problem we had with this year's class was we peaked too early. Back in the summer, we had all these commits and momentum, and it just faded away and never really recovered. Until the pens start meeting paper in December, no kid is ours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Also, any "commit" we have right now, isn't really a commit. It's way too early in the process for all that. I think a problem we had with this year's class was we peaked too early. Back in the summer, we had all these commits and momentum, and it just faded away and never really recovered. Until the pens start meeting paper in December, no kid is ours.
    Case in point-Moore, who was "committed" for a year and a half, and shortly before signing day, "decommits" and signs with Auburn. One thing I've learned from this year, nobody on a message board is really sure what a kid is going to do on signing day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I say why wait. I would like to see what we could do if we were more positive as a fan base for one entire recruiting cycle. What if all of our fans started to follow and retweet our prospects, show up to their games wearing all maroon, ringing cowbells every time they make a play, etc. Showing the prospects we are rooting for them. What would happen if everyone pulled the rope in the same direction and was cautious about talking about whether a player is good enough, has good enough grades, is an asshole, whatever.

Message boards are way to public to speak about our potential athletes or actual athletes the way we do most times.
    It can wait 12 hours... let everyone get their b!tching out about today now.. I'm putting together links and gathering info.. and will try to make the start of the thread something good.
    and sure on all that.. just don't tweet at recruits..

vCash
    The 2 big misses we had were 2 guys that have been committed for months to the schools they signed with
    Mingo and Young .. so can we really say they were misses?

It’s very possible The names Moore and Hall may Not be heard again for a while (in a positive matter anyway )

Would have been great to land Ealy .. esp for perception.. If he plays a year of football then good for OM I think it’s 50/50 at best

Plumlee won’t play QB anytime soon if ever .. I think he is a outstanding athlete and could play much faster somewhere besides QB. Maybe he agrees to that . And he still may choose MLB .

And like I said don’t be shocked if Mingo gets on the field early early at OM but it’s on the other side of the ball ... See DD Bowie. My guess is he didn’t sign up for that.

It’s a solid class. OL and DL got some studs that could be impact guys sooner than later.
    Duncan and Emerson helps the backed tremendously.
    Jarrian might be a future star.
    We are going to need a RB to step up . Hopefully that’s Walker . Need to redshirt spoon .
    Many people have told me inside and outside of our program the steal recruit in the state is Purvis . Hopefully we find his position early and he takes to it like a stud.

Let’s wait and see what if any grad transfers or transfers we get.. that protocol is growing daily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    Case in point-Moore, who was "committed" for a year and a half, and shortly before signing day, "decommits" and signs with Auburn. One thing I've learned from this year, nobody on a message board is really sure what a kid is going to do on signing day.
    There’s usually one of those every year for every school.. it’s just magnified here because of where we are in the rankings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    There’s usually one of those every year for every school.. it’s just magnified here because of where we are in the rankings.
    It's also magnified because we don't have 4 star replacements for said player.

MSU simply can't afford to local guys to leave the state like other programs in the SEC can. We can't replace them
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    It can wait 12 hours... let everyone get their b!tching out about today now.. I'm putting together links and gathering info.. and will try to make the start of the thread something good.
    Looking forward to it Scooba.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It's also magnified because we don't have 4 star replacements for said player.

MSU simply can't afford to local guys to leave the state like other programs in the SEC can. We can't replace them
    I guess we just aren't going to out spend Auburn like with Cam Newton.

vCash
    When looking at recruiting classes, one thing I like to look at is players rated 96 or higher (truly elite players). Here's how the west did with this metric...

Bama 11
    aTm 6
    LSU and auburn 3
    State 2
    Om 1*
    Ark 0

We actually held our own here. Had we gotten Moore, we'd be tied with LSU and auburn. Bama just keeps widening the gap between themselves and the west. aTm getting as many as LSU and auburn combined is not good news for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I don't want rehash what has already been said, but the biggest issue to me is that we didn't sign enough. Last year we enrolled 20 kids. 2 of them were juco. 18 HS kids.

This year we have signed 22 one of which is a transfer. Four of them are juco. One of the HS kids most likely won't make it grade wise. That makes 16 HS kids.

In two years we have signed/enrolled 42 total. That is probation. Regardless of how you look at it, we have self imposed probation on ourselves. We could have counted back several in this year's class, but for some reason we didn't. By my count, we have 60 on scholarship headed into next year right now, before anyone else transfers out. 20 of those are seniors. By only adding potentially 21 players - before anyone else transfers out means we could be at below 81 scholarship players next year. If we lose a few seniors who want to play as oppose to sit on the bench, same with juniors we could be in the high 70s.

I'm not going to get bogged down on players he missed on and recruiting battles that he whiffed, I'm talking big picture. If we go into next season with less than 80 scholarship players (im not counting walk ons given a scholly) that is an institutional failure that he has to be held accountable for if we have a lackluster season next year.

Also, this puts tremendous pressure on next year's class considering we have 20 seniors as of now on the team.
    And you get it! This is the problem that no one else sees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    And you get it! This is the problem that no one else sees.
    Not if you get some grad transfers, which are way more valuable than true freshmen anyway.

I think the self imposed probation angle is an extremely stupid narrative.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    Always remember this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When looking at recruiting classes, one thing I like to look at is players rated 96 or higher (truly elite players). Here's how the west did with this metric...

Bama 11
    aTm 6
    LSU and auburn 3
    State 2
    Om 1*
    Ark 0

We actually held our own here. Had we gotten Moore, we'd be tied with LSU and auburn. Bama just keeps widening the gap between themselves and the west. aTm getting as many as LSU and auburn combined is not good news for us.
    Ahead of Auburn since they'd drop to 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

I agree with this criticism. We need to oversign next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not if you get some grad transfers, which are way more valuable than true freshmen anyway.

I think the self imposed probation angle is an extremely stupid narrative.
    Grad transfers can bridge the gap tremendously.

vCash
    Recruiting evaluation of the 4 2nd year coaches. First number is this year's finish and 2nd number is the school's 3 year recruiting avg (2015-2017) prior to change...

Moorhead 24th and 23.33
    Morris 23rd and 24.00
    Mullen 9th and 14.67
    Jimbo 4th and 14.00
    Pruitt 12th and 11.67

Big improvement for Mullen and jimbo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Bama 11
    aTm 6
    LSU and auburn 3
    State 2
    Om 1*
    Ark 0

Until A&M gets real defensive talent i'm not worried. However, I like our class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    You gonna do it now?