Page 17 of 250 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    I'll take a break after this one, but this may put it in perspective for some:

[tweet2]1239990997960011776[/tweet2]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

You need to go to worldometers.info and look at the daily stats. Daily new cases and daily deaths were actually down for Italy yesterday. It's still a lot but if you look at China's stats about a month to 7 weeks you start to see a decline in the virus from first reported. Maybe Italy has peaked...maybe not. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers?

I think the prespective people need is Italy actually just had their largest increase in both cases and deaths.

3,600 new cases yesterday; 364 deaths yesterday

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1239556975496761349[/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers.

I think the prespective people need is Italy actually just had their largest increase in both cases and deaths.

Their numbers dropped from yesterday to today. It's still a lot though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Also dropped on March 10th and has been around 3x that day's numbers ever since.

vCash
    who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers?

3,600 new cases yesterday; 364 deaths yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Gotcha….these daily numbers are confusing me, because with the time difference I cant ever tell if I am a day behind.

I am seeing 3,600 cases....but I guess that was for the 15th? And right now the numbers of the 16th should be coming? I think that is correct

vCash
    Gotcha….these daily numbers are confusing me, because with the time difference I cant ever tell if I am a day behind.

I am seeing 3,600 cases....but I guess that was for the 15th? And right now the numbers of the 16th should be coming? I think that is correct
    Yeah, it's calculated at +0 GMT so the times are a little wonky. With that being said I just read where Italy is kind of fudging their numbers a bit because "new cases" are being reported based on a calculation that includes the new cases that day MINUS the recovered cases and deaths for that day. So they are actually reporting the difference in active cases...if I explained that correctly. No one else is doing that. Also, it's interesting that almost a full half of their cases are coming out of Lombardy. I'm not sure what the significance of that area is because I'm not really up on my Italian geography.

vCash
    Well the good news (if you can call it good news) is that the death rate in the US is comparatively low to that of other countries. Almost 6,000 cases with 100 deaths gives us a death rate of around 1.6%. Still a lot of people, but that number should go down even further with increased testing. For comparison sakes, the world death rate is 4%. Italy's is almost 8%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Well the good news (if you can call it good news) is that the death rate in the US is comparatively low to that of other countries. Almost 6,000 cases with 100 deaths gives us a death rate of around 1.6%. Still a lot of people, but that number should go down even further with increased testing. For comparison sakes, the world death rate is 4%. Italy's is almost 8%.
    I think Italy combined with lack of testing for mild cases and (in many cases) lack of quality screening tests are really throwing the stats off.

ETA: It absolutely blows my mind. I just read an article where there are complaints in Italy because Covid-19 POSITIVE individuals were made to return to work at the post office....until they were hospitalized and subsequently died three days later. Good grief...we may start seeing some of the real reasons behind Italy's death rate as info starts to leak out. That is inexcusable!!
    Last edited by Dawgology; 03-17-2020 at 03:32 PM.

vCash
    This is so true. Disgusting, shameful, pathetic, and sad people.
    Very similar to those panicking and hoarding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They afraid ... they very afraid.

vCash
    Hoarders are awful.

What do you consider as panicking?

vCash
    Hoarders are awful.

What do you consider as panicking?
    You

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    You
    Specifics?

Is it because I think there is a real chance we have hospitals bed shortages in places?

Is it because I think the potential for hundreds of thousands of deaths are possible?

Is it because I think the lock downs are needed ?

Which or all of those do you disagree with? What other points?

vCash
    Specifics?

Is it because I think there is a real chance we have hospitals bed shortages in places?

Is it because I think the potential for hundreds of thousands of deaths are possible?

Is it because I think the lock downs are needed ?

Which or all of those do you disagree with? What other points?
    Ain't got time. Just be afraid ... be very afraid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I need a cite for that because that is not what the health officials are saying...

https://projects.propublica.org/grap...ovid-hospitals
    The latest study available estimates there are about 62,000 ventilators in hospitals nationwide....It's been "publicly stated," he says, that there are about 12,000 ventilators in the national stockpile.

So as long as we have less than 75,000 people needing ventilators, everything will be fine.

8% of Chinese cases needed a ventilator.
    Obviously the ventilators will not be spread out to match the virus. Are we going to take ventilators from hospitals that aren't using them and ship them to another?

If so I think that hurts places like Mississippi. All our little hospital that might have them will have to send them to the big cities. .....so I hope nobody needs one from something else.

I think that is going to be the biggest issue. One area or city is going to be hit hard and run out of things. What happens at that individual hospital?

Does Jackson Mississippi have to send stuff to Seattle because it hit there first?

vCash
    Obviously the ventilators will not be spread out to match the virus. Are we going to take ventilators from hospitals that aren't using them and ship them to another?

If so I think that hurts places like Mississippi. All our little hospital that might have them will have to send them to the big cities. .....so I hope nobody needs one from something else.

I think that is going to be the biggest issue. One area or city is going to be hit hard and run out of things. What happens at that individual hospital?

Does Jackson Mississippi have to send stuff to Seattle because it hit there first?
    Ventilators are not uncommon even in small hospitals in Mississippi. Many of those small hospitals in Mississippi are going to either ship their patients to UMC, Region One in Memphis, or University Medical Center in NOLA, and maybe UAB. Transporting patients on vents are not uncommon. The army has transported soldiers on vents who were wounded in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, and etc. and flown them to Germany on vents quite often. So driving from Kosciousko to Jackson on a vent isn't crazy out of the question.

The thing about UMC is for as long as UMC has existed they have been taking patients all across the state so this won't really be any different in that regard since that is essentially their patient base anyway.

Another thing I don't see a lot of is people taking into account people getting well and getting off of a ventilator or sadly passing away which will open up a ventilator for another patient who needs it as well. Anyway, my point is people that go on vents aren't going to stay on vents the entire duration of the epidemic.

vCash
    Specifics?
    Go read your post here and on SPS the last few days for your "specifics". You have thoroughly embarrassed yourself

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    Go read your post here and on SPS the last few days for your "specifics". You have thoroughly embarrassed yourself
    nope. The people dismissing this are embarrassing. And truth be told I have zero respect for them. The writing has been on the wall. If you were still calling this an overreaction and blaming it on the media last Friday then you are legitimately stupid, dangerous, and gullible fool. There is zero excuse not to know what's going on. And that means you willfully ignored this. Which is embarrassing. And I dont really care what their opinion of me is. They are not the kind of people I want to like me.

Ive tried to be nicer here, because I think this board is a more intelligent and reasonable bunch. That other board is full of blathering idiots.

vCash
    nope. The people dismissing this are embarrassing. And truth be told I have zero respect for them. The writing has been on the wall. If you were still calling this an overreaction and blaming it on the media last Friday then you are legitimately stupid, dangerous, and gullible fool. There is zero excuse not to know what's going on. And that means you willfully ignored this. Which is embarrassing. And I dont really care what their opinion of me is. They are not the kind of people I want to like me.

Ive tried to be nicer here, because I think this board is a more intelligent and reasonable bunch. That other board is full of blathering idiots.
    We get it. You're scared shitless.