Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Oh me either. We already have a highly rated guy from TX that can help pull some of their WRs, so I'd love for us to get Keyes too so that he can help with some of the in-state receivers. I know he's tight with some of them.
    I think our philosophy needs to be to see what's in Mississippi recruit those best players. And then fill in the holes with out of state players. Like d-line this year.

Mississippi is a small state but has a lot of football talent and athleticism that can be developed. But because it's small what we produce at position groups is inconsistent. You may have a bunch of WR's one year and then not very many for two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think our philosophy needs to be to see what's in Mississippi recruit those best players. And then fill in the holes with out of state players. Like d-line this year.

Mississippi is a small state but has a lot of football talent and athleticism that can be developed. But because it's small what we produce at position groups is inconsistent. You may have a bunch of WR's one year and then not very many for two.
    I hear you, but Mississippi has never consistently produced great WRs & QBs.

You can't win big in the SEC by prioritizing Mississippi at those positions. You can't pass on Robertson ever.

Robertson may be a better pure passer than anyone Mississippi produced Romero Miller or Fant. You can't pass on that.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I hear you, but Mississippi has never consistently produced great WRs & QBs.

You can't win big in the SEC by prioritizing Mississippi at those positions. You can't pass on Robertson ever.

Robertson may be a better pure passer than anyone Mississippi produced Romero Miller or Fant. You can't pass on that.
    Never?

Rice, Moulds, Bumphis, AJ Brown, Metcalf...

vCash
    Never?

Maybe I used the wrong word in "Great"

The state doesn't produce enough polish on a consistent basis.

Too many Stone hands types lack the polish to be consistent.

Texas produce those guys in droves.

We have to spread around our WR recruiting with the right mix of polish & upside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Maybe I used the wrong word in "Great"

The state doesn't produce enough polish on a consistent basis.

Too many Stone hands types lack the polish to be consistent.

Texas produce those guys in droves.

We have to spread around our WR recruiting with the right mix of polish & upside.
    How much of that is a MSU coaching thing I wonder? I can't remember having one single WR coach that I thought "man I hate to lose that guy" after they left. It seems like Ole Miss, USM, and even Memphis- all in our footprint- are able to find guys that can catch and run routes at an acceptable level. I'm talking about your typical three star WR here. There is ZERO reason why MSU can't find and coach those players up.

I think our RTDB philosophy has hurt us as far as recruiting WR's too. No WR wants to go out there and be blue collar and block and catch a couple of balls. Especially in this era where they see guys on TV being flashy superstars. No question this hurt us some with AJ Brown.

We have had some solid ones recently- Robert Johnson, Fred Brown, Arceto Clark and Jesse Jackson come to mind from Mississippi. Also, I think recentcy bias is here some because Dan did a TERRIBLE job of recruiting WR's after 2014 and it has taken us a few years to rebuild. How many years has Osirus Mitchell started despite being a late singee? He's turned into a good solid player- but he's not a guy that should be a three year starter for us. But he had to out of necessity. It seemed like every Dan recruit at WR for a couple of years was compared to Steve Smith, Jr. just like every QB we had under Croom was compared to Doug Flutie. Exceptions are typically exceptions. For the first time in years we're going to have a group of mostly juniors and seniors at WR- Mitchell, Heath, Payton, Austin Williams, Dontae Jones, and maybe some others I'm forgetting.

We definitely could and should be better than we have been at WR.

vCash
    How much of that is a MSU coaching thing I wonder? I can't remember having one single WR coach that I thought "man I hate to lose that guy" after they left. It seems like Ole Miss, USM, and even Memphis- all in our footprint- are able to find guys that can catch and run routes at an acceptable level. I'm talking about your typical three star WR here. There is ZERO reason why MSU can't find and coach those players up.

I think our RTDB philosophy has hurt us as far as recruiting WR's too. No WR wants to go out there and be blue collar and block and catch a couple of balls. Especially in this era where they see guys on TV being flashy superstars. No question this hurt us some with AJ Brown.

We have had some solid ones recently- Robert Johnson, Fred Brown, Arceto Clark and Jesse Jackson come to mind from Mississippi. Also, I think recentcy bias is here some because Dan did a TERRIBLE job of recruiting WR's after 2014 and it has taken us a few years to rebuild. How many years has Osirus Mitchell started despite being a late singee? He's turned into a good solid player- but he's not a guy that should be a three year starter for us. But he had to out of necessity. It seemed like every Dan recruit at WR for a couple of years was compared to Steve Smith, Jr. just like every QB we had under Croom was compared to Doug Flutie. Exceptions are typically exceptions. For the first time in years we're going to have a group of mostly juniors and seniors at WR- Mitchell, Heath, Payton, Austin Williams, Dontae Jones, and maybe some others I'm forgetting.

We definitely could and should be better than we have been at WR.
    Some of that is definitely coaching, but coaching becomes infinitely easier and quicker when experience and the right tools walk through the door.

vCash
    Never?

.... Favre, McNair
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    De’Andre Brown wasn’t half bad either.

vCash
    Never?

Espy, Jr. Come on Todd you being from MC should remember him.