Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signing Day Thoughts

vCash
    It’s an average class that fills a lot of needs. Still big issues at LB and I think the OL class is really weak. WR is nothing earth shattering but definitely an improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Well this year's recruiting class is much more impressive than last year's. He is going to have a lower rated class but not by much and there is about a third of the in state high end talent this year. Next year should be a top 20 class if he is worth his salt.
    so far as of now Ole Miss has only signed four Miss Kids.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    so far as of now Ole Miss has only signed four Miss Kids.
    That's going to be the trend going forward IMO. Kiffin wants OOS guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It’s an average class that fills a lot of needs. Still big issues at LB and I think the OL class is really weak. WR is nothing earth shattering but definitely an improvement.
    It' a class that basically maintains where we are. On paper it doesn't really take us to another level
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It' a class that basically maintains where we are. On paper it doesn't really take us to another level
    At least the cup board isn't empty if Moorhead leaves next season. Keep it at 25 so the new guy can come in make something happen. Personally I think it would be better if Moorhead works out.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    At least the cup board isn't empty if Moorhead leaves next season. Keep it at 25 so the new guy can come in make something happen. Personally I think it would be better if Moorhead works out.
    Yea. I wanted him gone. He's not leaving. I'm back in his corner until next year when I will be off the train again if he is terrible again. Bitching and complaining all off season does no one any good. Hope for the best and see what happens.

vCash
    Need to go all in on Edge Cooper and Robert Scott. I realize both are long shots. Might need a transfer RB too.

vCash
    Agree.

The way I see it is that an MSU MUST be well above average at either coaching or recruiting. Thus far, Moorhead has appeared below average at coaching & average at recruiting.

I know some will say that he's an above average recruiter, but the evidence to this point just does not support that.

vCash
    Another way of looking at recruiting is this:

To compete at the highest levels of college football, you need at least 50% 4+ stars on you roster. Which means on average you need 10 per year.

Today we signed 5 4 stars with a good chance of getting may 2 of our signees bumps to 4 stars.

Not a bad class & solid, but has to get better if this program is going to improve

vCash
    Agree.

The way I see it is that an MSU MUST be well above average at either coaching or recruiting. Thus far, Moorhead has appeared below average at coaching & average at recruiting.

I know some will say that he's an above average recruiter, but the evidence to this point just does not support that.
    As of now, his two classes, 2019 and 2020, are both top 25. Thats pretty good relative to our historical average. Mullen averaged 28 from 2010 through 2017. Not sure joe bumping that average to 24-25 makes a difference, but it is a start. To me, the consistency of being a top 25 class would help so that you dont have huge talent gaps. Dan put up a 17 and a 18, but also some 40?s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    As of now, his two classes, 2019 and 2020, are both top 25. Thats pretty good relative to our historical average. Mullen averaged 28 from 2010 through 2017. Not sure joe bumping that average to 24-25 makes a difference, but it is a start. To me, the consistency of being a top 25 class would help so that you dont have huge talent gaps. Dan put up a 17 and a 18, but also some 40?s
    Eh. Mullen had some poorer classes due to lack of effort but he also had a few top 20 classes.

Moorhead has done exactly what Mullen did. Not a penny's worth of difference.

2021 will be big for him in recruiting because he should have relationships now with those guys. If he can't land a top 20 class next year, it's not going to happen.

Moorhead strikes me as a good relationship guy that is probably too scared to get involved in the streets with real recruiting. That will lead to more classes like this one.

Solid but not needle movers

vCash

vCash
    Eh. Mullen had some poorer classes due to lack of effort but he also had a few top 20 classes.

2021 will be big for him in recruiting because he should have relationships now with those guys. If he can't land a top 20 class next year, it's not going to happen.

Moorhead strikes me as a good relationship guy that is probably too scared to get involved in the streets with real recruiting. That will lead to more classes like this one.

Mullen bombed that 2018 class. Damn.

vCash

Dans only top 20 class was 2015. He also had a 41 in 2011 and a 36 in 2014. That is what joe has thus far avoided. I get that all of this is on paper, but that is all recruiting rankings are. On paper, joe has not yet thrown up two sub 35 classes like Dan did.

I suspect joe will recruit around 20-23 on paper on average, which is about as good as MSU will ever do sans freeze level cheating or an overhaul in scholly limitations because recruiting is more about the school than the coach.

vCash
    It's about our usual ranking-somewhere aound 10th in the SEC. I don't recall when we ever in the top 6. These rankings shouldn't be counted as gospel, anyway-just what some people think. You never know how a kid will turn out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Mullen bombed that 2018 class. Damn.
    2018 was part Dan and part joe. Joe took over December of 2017. So not really fair to give all the credit or all the blame to either.

Plus, 2018 was ranked 27, one spot ahead of dans average which was 28.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    It's about our usual ranking-somewhere aound 10th in the SEC. I don't recall when we ever in the top 6. These rankings shouldn't be counted as gospel, anyway-just what some people think. You never know how a kid will turn out.
    The rankings are pretty accurate on the whole. Ridiculous at this point to discount that when college football shows us every year to that win anything of substance you have to be a top 10 recruiter

vCash
    1 this hopefully is Moorhead last class filling Mullen holes, it's all on him after this class, no excuses
    2 Morehead is suppose to be a good recruiter, he pretty much filled holes and did pretty good with limited relationship with these guys. He got who her needed to.
    3 next year will tell is how good of a coach and recruiter he is. No question.
    So.. let's hope he gets the ball rolling with a bowl win, gets couple more top recruits to move the needle on NSD, does well next season and capitalizes it on the recruiting trail.
    If he does that then I believe he will win the base over and start to elevate the program. Hopefully he makes some staff changes to make this possible.
    I think we all agree that where we are now should be the floor in all aspects.

vCash
    Bear also wasn't great in the air. He was good at blocking out.

If Ducking can win some jump balls, then I'll gladly give up the 20 lbs
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Need to go all in on Edge Cooper and Robert Scott. I realize both are long shots. Might need a transfer RB too.
    We aren’t getting either of them. We passed on a transfer RB because we’ve signed two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    That's going to be the trend going forward IMO. Kiffin wants OOS guys.
    I sure hope so