Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Moorhead Win You Back This Weekend?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared_Hitless View Post
    Also since we wanna run down Recruiting as be all end all. Mullen Lost to BYU, South Alabama, Kentucky, and struggled with Samford and UMASS in year 7 of his tenure. That was with his guys every single person on the team was recruited and handpicked by him. We out recruit every school on that list.

He also got smoked in one of the biggest bowl games in our history to a composite 50ish Recruiter in GA Tech. This was with our best player of all time. Cohen tried to elevate and hell maybe it will fail, but Mullen wasn't taking us to the promised land either. If he couldn't do it with Dak he was never going to do anything special.
    Mullen tried to ride Dak into a bigger job instead of realizing he just did something at State no other head coach had ever done and built off of that. Mullen could have made us the LSU of Mississippi if he had swallowed his ego and actually tried to recruit some blue chips after our first #1 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Show us where everyone said those losses were acceptable. People were mad at those losses, but now we ok with em.
    He never said they were. That's not the point of his post. But, you know that already.

vCash
    Show us where everyone said those losses were acceptable. People were mad at those losses, but now we ok with em.
    So are we comparing JoMo to our historical standard or previous coach to determine he is a failure. Because he is way above the historical mean and right on pace with the best coach we have ever had. No wonder we cant hire anyone here it is a no win situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    Yeah. This is spot on. We had a 40 spot recruiting advantage at home and lost. That's a huge problem. That's a coaching problem and clearly a game you shouldn't lose. There's two things people can do after a loss like that-make excuses for the coaching staff (injuries, suspensions, fr QB, drops, etc.) or cast blame. I'm not going to tell anyone how to think/feel, but I'm not interested in making excuses for a guy that makes $3M+/year to win football games. There's a larger issue here that isn't being talked about enough-we were incredibly lucky to not have been blown off the field in the first half. If not for some big time luck, we're staring in the face of a 17-0 hole less than 5 mins into the 2nd quarter. After that, we outplayed them slightly the remainder of the game, but we could've gotten blasted by a first year coach in our house with a 40 spot recruiting disadvantage. And all of that was before our starting QB went out. If you're making excuses for Moorhead, I just don't understand why. What has he shown that he deserves any sort of confidence or leeway?
    To be clear, when we make plays that alter the flow of the game - it's luck. When another team makes plays against us, we simply suck. Is that accurate?

It couldn't be that our coaches put our players in a position to be successful and those players went out and made plays, it has to be that a "blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then" and we were just lucky. Right?

vCash
    So are we comparing JoMo to our historical standard or previous coach to determine he is a failure. Because he is way above the historical mean and right on pace with the best coach we have ever had. No wonder we cant hire anyone here it is a no win situation.
    Fine, as last as he maintains our current .494 all time winning %, he's doing fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    To be clear, when we make plays that alter the flow of the game - it's luck. When another team makes plays against us, we simply suck. Is that accurate?

It couldn't be that our coaches put our players in a position to be successful and those players went out and made plays, it has to be that a "blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then" and we were just lucky. Right?
    You claiming muffs as a skill on our part?

vCash
    Fine, as last as he maintains our current .494 all time winning %, he's doing fine.
    Think we all know he is well above that and has not shown regression to even the .500 level yet so how about you give him some time. Based on our team Saturday I believe even you would agree we have some young talent. Lovett, JJones, Emerson, Cross, Shrader, Witherspoon. That all look the part as freshman. I am willing to let him recruit and find some receivers that are above G5 level to catch the ball.

vCash
    No, its a long season and then we shall see. But this isn't on Joe, this is on those that made the decision to hire him in the first place.

vCash
    Also since we wanna run down Recruiting as be all end all. Mullen Lost to BYU, South Alabama, Kentucky, and struggled with Samford and UMASS in year 7 of his tenure. That was with his guys every single person on the team was recruited and handpicked by him. We out recruit every school on that list.

He also got smoked in one of the biggest bowl games in our history to a composite 50ish Recruiter in GA Tech. This was with our best player of all time. Cohen tried to elevate and hell maybe it will fail, but Mullen wasn't taking us to the promised land either. If he couldn't do it with Dak he was never going to do anything special.
    Mullen averaged beating 1.7 teams/ year that recruited better than him and lost to 1.1 teams/per that he recruited better than. He's on the positive side there. He was on the right side of the line on outperforming his recruiting rankings. Moorhead won 2 games last year over teams that out recruit State (Aub & A&M) and lost to 2 teams that we outrecruit (UK & Iowa). This year he's already lost to KSU. Maybe Moorhead gives you a little more upside, but a lot more downside. Probably too small of a sample size to tell yet. Either way-Mullen only lost 10 games to teams that he outrecruited in 9 years. Moorhead has already lost 3 in a 1.25 seasons.

vCash
    Think we all know he is well above that and has not shown regression to even the .500 level yet so how about you give him some time. Based on our team Saturday I believe even you would agree we have some young talent. Lovett, JJones, Emerson, Cross, Shrader, Witherspoon. That all look the part as freshman. I am willing to let him recruit and find some receivers that are above G5 level to catch the ball.
    We took Kansas state's leading wr, and he can't do anything here. He caught 103 balls the last 2 years at KSU and has 3 for us. Why can't he surpass our G5 WRs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm absolutely cheering for Moorhead. Our program is much much better off if he is the guy. However, it's important to be objective. Objectively, he hasn't been up to snuff.
    This. Don't know why people think that just Bc someone is critical, means he- we are against him is asinine. Nobody, I repeat nobody wants us to lose. I hope jomo coaches here for a while. Bc is he does, then we've been successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    And if he wins out?

Another unicorn....and ridiculous post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    Mullen averaged beating 1.7 teams/ year that recruited better than him and lost to 1.1 teams/per that he recruited better than. He's on the positive side there. He was on the right side of the line on outperforming his recruiting rankings. Moorhead won 2 games last year over teams that out recruit State (Aub & A&M) and lost to 2 teams that we outrecruit (UK & Iowa). This year he's already lost to KSU. Maybe Moorhead gives you a little more upside, but a lot more downside. Probably too small of a sample size to tell yet. Either way-Mullen only lost 10 games to teams that he outrecruited in 9 years. Moorhead has already lost 3 in a 1.25 seasons.
    I hate Dave Bartoo but when it comes to recruiting there is a reason to use +- 10 spot averages. Qualifiers, Attrition, and Injuries matter. Kentucky is right around 30 when it comes to recruiting and we are at 23. Not much separation for a Away game if you ask me. Iowa is similar to Kansas State the more talented team lost. So yes that is on Joe, granted if Guidry could catch and we cover a KO we win those as well.

vCash
    We took Kansas state's leading wr, and he can't do anything here. He caught 103 balls the last 2 years at KSU and has 3 for us. Why can't he surpass our G5 WRs?
    But it's Bc they had a qb that threw a catchable ball..... wait, that was our excuse last year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post

The guy dropped a punt? What skill did we develop to cause that to happen? We were way ahead on the luck in that game. We had 1 maybe 2 things happen to us that were fluky-the KO return is really the only one that I would say go against us, but some could argue the Stevens fumble was also bad luck-even though I just think that's a guy making a stupid play and not securing the ball when running-something that is coachable. You could also say we were unlucky on the tipped ball to Guidry, but it was a high throw and a guy that is drop prone didn't catch it. Both things are coachable. We recovered 2 fumbled punts by them, recovered a fumbled punt by our own guy (Dear), hit a guy for a 40 yard TD one a one handed catch in the back of the end zone with less than 30 seconds to play that without a boneheaded penalty by their guy would have sent us to the lockerroom, their QB overthrew wide open guys for TD's at least twice, we threw a pick then caused a fumble and recovered it that was going to give them possession deep in our zone. We were absolutely on the + end of the luck in that game and still couldn't get it done.

vCash
    Most likely because he was injured and hasn't picked up the offense completely. Now he should be 100% returning punts and kicks at minimum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    No.

Beat UK, be competitive with Auburn, and beat UT and he'll at least have me back where I was to start the year. Not too high on him, but not too low.
    That's my answer as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I just want to see some it factor. A coach that has the capacity to get players to play above themselves.

I've yet to see that. Seems like we never score as many as we should & just simply never make winning plays under him
    You mean like against aub and Aggie last year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    You mean like against aub and Aggie last year?
    Shhhhh those don't count since we lost to Iowa.

vCash
    I hate Dave Bartoo but when it comes to recruiting there is a reason to use +- 10 spot averages. Qualifiers, Attrition, and Injuries matter. Kentucky is right around 30 when it comes to recruiting and we are at 23. Not much separation for a Away game if you ask me. Iowa is similar to Kansas State the more talented team lost. So yes that is on Joe, granted if Guidry could catch and we cover a KO we win those as well.
    We're talking about last years game, so the 2018 versions of those teams State had a 4yr average of 24 and UK had a 4 yr average of 35 which falls outside of this mystical +-10 spot separator. That was a bad loss.