PDA

View Full Version : Head coach rumor.....

Pages : [1] 2

CadaverDawg
11-20-2023, 08:24 PM
I need one. What y'all got?

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 08:36 PM
Rosebowl says we have two sitting P5 head coaches very interested in our job. He gave clues and based on those clues it's speculated that the names are Leipold and Kleiman.

But it's Rosey. It could be smoke released from the AD's office. Interesting though.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Man I would take either coach in Kansas in a red hot minute. Those two coaches are studs.

basedog
11-20-2023, 08:38 PM
Rosebowl says we have two sitting P5 head coaches very interested in our job. He gave clues and based on those clues it's speculated that the names are Leipold and Kleiman.

But it's Rosey. It could be smoke released from the AD's office. Interesting though.

All media is all over the place right now.

msudawg1200
11-20-2023, 08:41 PM
On the Thunder&Lightning Podcast today Hadad and Faulk said that Chadwell is still very much in play.

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 08:42 PM
All media is all over the place right now.

There is so much smoke coming out of the AD's office I'm surprised Starkville FD hasn't been called.

Selmon is doing this right. We won't get anything with legs until Friday or Saturday.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2023, 08:43 PM
SMH

BigDawg81
11-20-2023, 08:45 PM
Chadwell has offer in hand. 6.5 mil per year

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 08:45 PM
On the Thunder&Lightning Podcast today Hadad and Faulk said that Chadwell is still very much in play.

There's a rumor that we matched what Liberty would pay him and agreed to pay his buyout. Supposedly a couple big boosters love them some Chadwell and told Selmon they'd pitch in for the buyout.

Santiago
11-20-2023, 08:52 PM
Some side entertainment, is that Rosebowl was posting about Sexton being his agent, and Paul just posted that Chadwell has another agent not Sexton.
You would think RB would have done some due diligence.
But either way, the two sites are definitely competing.

Bdawg
11-20-2023, 08:52 PM
Man, who would y’all choose between Chadwell, Leipold, or Kleiman? IMO, the 2 Kansas guys will be super hard pulls.

BigDawg81
11-20-2023, 08:53 PM
There's a rumor that we matched what Liberty would pay him and agreed to pay his buyout. Supposedly a couple big boosters love them some Chadwell and told Selmon they'd pitch in for the buyout. hmmm

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 08:54 PM
Leipold or Klieman would be grand slams.

Chadwell would be a homerun.

Gets dicey after that.

chef dixon
11-20-2023, 08:54 PM
Man, who would y’all choose between Chadwell, Leipold, or Kleiman? IMO, the 2 Kansas guys will be super hard pulls.

Kleiman

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 08:55 PM

Easily: 1. Klieman 2. Leipold 3. Chadwell

DownwardDawg
11-20-2023, 08:56 PM
SMH

Damn

Really Clark?
11-20-2023, 09:03 PM
Y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Just be patient, Selmon is working hard and we have commitment from boosters to pay on a number of good coaches.

Biguglyjoe
11-20-2023, 09:07 PM
SMH

Judge or Mullen?

CaptainObvious
Damn

I'm right there with Coot. SMDH

BigDawg81
Judge or Mullen? I will quit if Judge is hired

CaptainObvious
11-20-2023, 09:12 PM
I will quit if Judge is hired

I will move to Canada, I mean Belize if Judge is hired!

Bdawg
11-20-2023, 09:13 PM
Easily: 1. Klieman 2. Leipold 3. Chadwell

I agree. But a pipe dream. Just hope we end up with a solid coach because he’s got his work cut out for him.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 09:14 PM
I will quit if Judge is hired

We aren't hiring Judge. I doubt Selmon has even considered it. His name is simply click bait.

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 09:15 PM
SMH

What you got Chief?

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 09:27 PM
I agree. But a pipe dream. Just hope we end up with a solid coach because he’s got his work cut out for him.

It's a crapshoot after those 3. I would gauge interest from Todd Monken and Joe Brady. 2 QB developers, great offensive minds with college experience.

Then you move on to the next tier. That would be Kinne, Fritz, Lashlee and Lebby.

Todd4State
11-20-2023, 09:28 PM
Here's what I know from reading this:

1. We have some boosters that really like Chadwell a lot and are leaking that to Paul and Robbie.

2. Chadwell is about to get paid. Good for him.

3. Selmon is going to make the hire.

Todd4State
11-20-2023, 09:29 PM
I will move to Canada, I mean Belize if Judge is hired!

I would be like "and who are your coordinators "?

KOdawg1
11-20-2023, 09:29 PM
Klieman would be an absolute grand slam, but man, I just don't see it.

Lashlee and Chadwell are in that next tier of really good hires, and I hope that's where we land.

msstate7
11-20-2023, 09:30 PM
It's a crapshoot after those 3. I would gauge interest from Todd Monken and Joe Brady. 2 QB developers, great offensive minds with college experience.

Then you move on to the next tier. That would be Kinne, Fritz, Lashlee and Lebby.

Wouldn't Brian Johnson fit that mold too?

BigDawg81
11-20-2023, 09:31 PM

1. We have some boosters that really like Chadwell a lot and are leaking that to Paul and Robbie.

Who is going to pay Chadwell?

Really Clark?
11-20-2023, 09:34 PM

What do you mean? The salary? We can pay that. If he stays he will be getting a bump from Liberty. He's getting more one way or another.

Dawgology
11-20-2023, 09:34 PM

State isn’t nearly as poor as many would make them out to be. It’s just been poorly managed by a baseball coach for the last few years.

Todd4State
11-20-2023, 09:35 PM

Either Liberty or MSU.

To be determined I suppose

HoopsDawg
Klieman would be an absolute grand slam, but man, I just don't see it.

Lashlee and Chadwell are in that next tier of really good hires, and I hope that's where we land.

I don't know why I can't get fired up about Lashlee. It's nothing in particular.

Santiago
I know he is further down and a risk/reward matrix, but I still like Kinne.
edit: if not Chadwell

BigDawg81
11-20-2023, 09:36 PM
What do you mean? The salary? We can pay that. If he stays he will be getting a bump from Liberty. He's getting more one way or another. Who is going to end up paying him? State or Liberty?

basedog
11-20-2023, 09:37 PM
Either Liberty or MSU.

To be determined I suppose

He is #1, it’s in his court to choose. That’s the strong rumor.

BigDawg81
11-20-2023, 09:41 PM
Marcello is deep in our coaching search. I know he is a national guy for 247. I guess it just isn?t many jobs open right now. He just put out a note on Genespage. I?m not member of Genespage.

Really Clark?
11-20-2023, 09:44 PM
Who is going to end up paying him? State or Liberty?

Yes...Lol***

Dawgface
11-20-2023, 09:46 PM
He is #1, it?s in his court to choose. That?s the strong rumor.

The pessimist in me thinks Liberty will match whatever we offer and he will stay waiting on a school that will be easier to win at. Hopefully not but I would be more than happy with either Kansas coach. After that I'm not sure which way I would go.

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 09:57 PM

He's an idiot

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 09:59 PM
Y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Just be patient, Selmon is working hard and we have commitment from boosters to pay on a number of good coaches.

You can post this every 3 mins. It doesn't matter. People believe when rosebowl said 2 p5. Problem 1. Then they assume it mean the 2 Kansas guys. Problem 2...... I could go on but I digress

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 10:00 PM

Or Robbie is feeding a beast. Robbie doesn't have contact w any big boosters.

Leroy Jenkins
11-20-2023, 10:03 PM
During the national championship game the broadcast crew will be doing multiple close-ups of Mike Bobo and talking about how he accepted the MSU job but is staying to coach in the natty.

Really Clark?
11-20-2023, 10:04 PM
You can post this every 3 mins. It doesn't matter. People believe when rosebowl said 2 p5. Problem 1. Then they assume it mean the 2 Kansas guys. Problem 2...... I could go on but I digress

I know, you're right. If he said 2 P5's he was probably counting Malzhan as one of them. Malzhan is not it. Klieman has never been interested or close to interested. Leipold's interest has been minor at best. He is going to wait out what happens after this weekend anyway.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2023, 10:05 PM

Spot on as always and 100% correct. If it comes down to money we're gonna have to settle for hamburger. Steak anyone? Lol

Mjoelner34
11-20-2023, 10:05 PM

Even though everybody says he won't leave Texas, I'd throw Traylor in that next group too.

SPMT
11-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Chadwell has offer in hand. 6.5 mil per year

Prolly 6.95 mill from what I heard at the bar at Taste tonight.

SPMT
11-20-2023, 10:19 PM
He's an idiot

This man is correct

DesotoDog1967
11-20-2023, 10:25 PM
Its Odom, right?

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 10:25 PM

Chadwell would be a fool to stay at Liberty. It's not like a Bama or Ohio State offer is on the horizon for him

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 10:27 PM

Lmao

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Chadwell would be a fool to stay at Liberty. It's not like a Bama or Ohio State offer is on the horizon for him

In reality, and I'm not saying it's a "better job" define that how you will but in the current 12 team playoff format Liberty has a better chance than we do to make the playoff. One non p5 champ gets a seat at the table every year

civildawg
11-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Slight thread hijack but I'm shocked that a lot of A&M message board posters want the young Georgia Co-DC. He would be iffy for me here. Huge gamble

KOdawg1
11-20-2023, 10:30 PM
Its Odom, right?

Wouldn't doubt it. Shit.

msstate7
11-20-2023, 10:32 PM
In reality, and I'm not saying it's a "better job" define that how you will but in the current 12 team playoff format Liberty has a better chance than we do to make the playoff. One non p5 champ gets a seat at the table every year

I agree with the last sentence, but going undefeated this season and not making a NY6 has to be a tough pill to swallow

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2023, 10:33 PM

Or you know Liberty could just offer him 7. I think some of you do not realize how much money Liberty really has. Their athletic dept budget trumps ours. Their dept is on the level of mid tier to upper tier P5.

This is the same argument people have with Lashlee and acting like SMU does not have 25-30 boosters that could not triple our athletic dept budget in one check. Just because these schools are G5 does not mean they are Sisters of the Poor or Southern Miss.

Jarius
11-20-2023, 10:33 PM
Its Odom, right?

I have been thinking it’s Odom for 2 days. I have no information other than just a hunch. I do like his offensive coordinator and think he would be solid here. What he’s done at UNLV is impressive and he had a lot of shit to deal with at Missouri that was not really his fault. Terrible administration. Really young head coach that was probably hired before he was ready also.

Jarius
11-20-2023, 10:35 PM
Or you know Liberty could just offer him 7. I think some of you do not realize how much money Liberty really has. Their athletic dept budget trumps ours. Their dept is on the level of mid tier to upper tier P5.

His decision won’t come down to money. He will have to decide if he wants to stay in little league ball for another year and take a chance on his stock dropping next year or if he wants to coach in the SEC now with a lower profile SEC team than he wants to go to.

BuckyIsAB****
11-20-2023, 10:35 PM
If it?s Odom it better not be because we didnt want to pay for someone better. Id be good with it if he was option D and we were down to that

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 10:40 PM
His decision won’t come down to money. He will have to decide if he wants to stay in little league ball for another year and take a chance on his stock dropping next year or if he wants to coach in the SEC now with a lower profile SEC team than he wants to go to.

And Mullen showed that the MSU job doesn't have to be your last job anymore.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 10:44 PM

At least you stopped short of calling it a lateral move.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2023, 10:53 PM

This is the same argument people have with Lashlee and acting like SMU does not have 25-30 boosters that could not triple our athletic dept budget in one check. Just because these schools are G5 does not mean they are Sisters of the Poor or Southern Miss.
^^^This^^^. Liberty has crazy money. Not quite aTm money but more than most SEC schools. They can pay whatever they want to pay for a coach and recruits.

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 10:57 PM
I agree with the last sentence, but going undefeated this season and not making a NY6 has to be a tough pill to swallow

Not arguing that. Just saying liberty has a better chance to win their league and win the extra spot than we have to finish in the top 3 in ours and THEN hope we get 3.

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 10:59 PM
At least you stopped short of calling it a lateral move.

I do t think it's lateral at all. Not close. Not at Liberty. But its place you can sit still get paid stupid money, and get something even better while having a shot at the playoff. Where as before there was none. Zero shot

confucius say
11-20-2023, 11:03 PM
If the new 5+7 model replaces the current 6+6 model, a G5 team will no longer have an automatic spot in the playoff.

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 11:06 PM
If the new 5+7 model replaces the current 6+6 model, a G5 team will no longer have an automatic spot in the playoff.

If they change what is proposed yes. But at present ....

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 11:07 PM

Which the way now that is in play is stupid. No g5 should be guaranteed a spot dumb.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 11:13 PM

The 5-7 just gets rid of the Pac12 essentially. 1 G5 school will still get in.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 11:15 PM
Not arguing that. Just saying liberty has a better chance to win their league and win the extra spot than we have to finish in the top 3 in ours and THEN hope we get 3.

There will always be 3 SEC teams in the playoff. Sometimes 4.

Quaoarsking
11-20-2023, 11:16 PM
The idea that Liberty has a better shot of getting 1 bid shared by 60-70 teams than we do of getting one the 3-4 (sometimes 5) bids the SEC will get every year is pretty ridiculous. As we're seeing right now, even 13-0 isn't necessarily good enough for Liberty, while we'd very likely be in at 10-2, maybe 9-3 in some years.

Regardless of where Chadwell coaches next year, I'm confident that if the 12-team playoff format exists for the next 50 years (it won't - I bet it's 16 or more by 2030), that every SEC school will end up with more CFP bids by 2073 than Liberty, even Vanderbilt.

Homedawg
11-20-2023, 11:20 PM
There will always be 3 SEC teams in the playoff. Sometimes 4.

Can I get that in writing?? Yes there should be. But to say always when there are only 6 at large spots left is a stretch

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 11:22 PM
Can I get that in writing?? Yes there should be. But to say always when there are only 6 at large spots left is a stretch

7 at large bids for 2 SEC teams. Yeah, that's a safe bet. Damn bro.

Quaoarsking
11-20-2023, 11:23 PM

Most years, the playoff will consist of:
Big 12 champ
ACC champ
SEC champ
Big 10 champ
Some G5 team that probably sucks, but occasionally doesn't

3-4 SEC at larges
2-3 Big 10 at larges
1 at large from Big 12 or ACC, or maybe another SEC/Big 10

There will be random odd years that break this trend because of the conference championship games (which should be abolished and probably will be), but this will be the norm.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 11:25 PM

We damn near get 2 every year with only 4 slots.

Anonymous
11-20-2023, 11:25 PM
^^^This^^^. Liberty has crazy money. Not quite aTm money but more than most SEC schools. They can pay whatever they want to pay for a coach and recruits.

Their athletic budget does not dwarf ours. Their athletic budget is literally half ours.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2023, 11:27 PM
Their athletic budget does not dwarf ours. Their athletic budget is literally half ours.

Where do people come up with this stuff. Endowment is different than athletic budget. We've got 2 prominent posters that think Kansas is a lateral move. Sheesh. I think I need to give up on MSU fans.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2023, 11:30 PM

Well sure, depends on "how serious" they want to be. Their budget can be extremely high. They are loaded. I get your point though.

Bdawg
11-20-2023, 11:37 PM
Where do people come up with this stuff. Endowment is different than athletic budget. We've got 2 prominent posters that think Kansas is a lateral move. Sheesh. I think I need to give up on MSU fans.

Think some of them are “institutionalized.” Like on Shawshank Redemption.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2023, 11:44 PM
Think some of them are “institutionalized.” Like on Shawshank Redemption.

Then there's some of us that don't accept our history and think we can do better.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2023, 11:46 PM

My point about Liberty is that they are absolutely loaded. If you don't know that , then well.......
They can compete with us on a HC salary if they choose to.

TheLostDawg
11-20-2023, 11:49 PM
Slight thread hijack but I'm shocked that a lot of A&M message board posters want the young Georgia Co-DC. He would be iffy for me here. Huge gamble

They can pay for a new roster every year and buy out. If it doesn't work then they move on and are back on track the next year

Coach34
11-21-2023, 12:27 AM

You are both wrong actually- I did my homework.

Kansas and State spend damn near the same on football. It's a literal lateral move except now they have a chance to win their conference and we dont

Jarius
11-21-2023, 12:35 AM
The rumor on GP is Barry Odom will be our next head coach.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 12:36 AM
From 2020:

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-richest-poorest-programs-alabama-crimson-tide-texas-longhorns-ohio-state-buckeyes-157982941/#1565577

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 12:37 AM

Thank goodness!! That means it ain't Barry Odom!!!

Coach34
11-21-2023, 12:39 AM

Interesting- the Barry Odom/Kendal Briles rumor is gaining steam

Jarius
11-21-2023, 12:48 AM
Interesting- the Barry Odom/Kendal Briles rumor is gaining steam

I would prefer he keep his current OC if he gets hired. They are exceptional on offense this year.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2023, 12:51 AM
Not a sexy hire if it's Odom. But I'll support it. Just win

Coach34
11-21-2023, 12:55 AM
Odom is a good defensive coach. If he gets the right OC I'm 100% on board. It may not be a sexy hire but it could be a very good hire

Jarius
11-21-2023, 01:03 AM
Odom is a good defensive coach. If he gets the right OC I'm 100% on board. It may not be a sexy hire but it could be a very good hire

People are going to look at his SEC time and be against it but he has reinvented himself at UNLV and running a totally different offensive scheme that is making a big difference in his success.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2023, 01:24 AM
Barry Odom wouldn't be my first choice but if it's him he's a dang good defensive coach and if you've watched his unlv teams they're offense is pretty spiffy and he has them playing well. He's matured as a HC it looks
like and he knows the sec. I don't know that it'll be him but we could do worse

Commercecomet24
11-21-2023, 01:24 AM
People are going to look at his SEC time and be against it but he has reinvented himself at UNLV and running a totally different offensive scheme that is making a big difference in his success.

This is correct.

Tater
11-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Barry Odom wouldn't be my first choice but if it's him he's a dang good defensive coach and if you've watched his unlv teams they're offense is pretty spiffy and he has them playing well. He's matured as a HC it looks
like and he knows the sec. I don't know that it'll be him but we could do worse

Watched them the last two weeks. They are running exactly what we should be running on offense.

Their OC is a star. Idk why you'd go for a trash OC in Briles. He's a trash human. Has tons of baggage. And didn't even do well in his OC stint at Ark or TCU.

I really ****ing hate that we are even entertaining such shit human beings and not squashing the rumors with our mouthpieces.

I get it, football is king and winning is paramount. Kendal and Lebby aren't good enough to warrant that kind of talk. They aren't "can't miss". They're above average at best. And with the baggage, they should be an auto skip.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 01:37 AM
Do we really want to hire Missouri's reject?

A lot of us are uncomfortable hiring an Auburn reject who finished ranked 5 times in 8 years, or a Texas reject who finished ranked 3 times in 4 years, but people are fine with a guy who never finished ranked at Missouri? And on top of that, another defensive guy when there was near unanimous agreement that we need an offensive head coach?

Commercecomet24
11-21-2023, 01:42 AM
Watched them the last two weeks. They are running exactly what we should be running on offense.

Their OC is a star. Idk why you'd go for a trash OC in Briles. He's a trash human. Has tons of baggage. And didn't even do well in his OC stint at Ark or TCU.

I really ****ing hate that we are even entertaining such shit human beings and not squashing the rumors with our mouthpieces.

I get it, football is king and winning is paramount. Kendal and Lebby aren't good enough to warrant that kind of talk. They aren't "can't miss". They're above average at best. And with the baggage, they should be an auto skip.

If we were to hire Odom I would prefer he bring his current oc with him. Ive watched probably 6-7 of their games this year and I like that offense

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 02:41 AM
If we were to hire Odom I would prefer he bring his current oc with him. Ive watched probably 6-7 of their games this year and I like that offense

Brennan Marion is someone I have followed for a couple of years now. His Go go offense is potentially the next big thing. There are rumors that Marion will end up at Penn State as their OC. Matt Mumme at Colorado State has taken elements of the Go Go offense and added it to Leach's old Air Raid scheme.

Odom does have a good eye for offensive coaching talent it seems like.

People can say what they want about his time at Mizzou but he never had a losing season there. And he's probably a much better coach now than he was then.

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 02:43 AM
I would prefer he keep his current OC if he gets hired. They are exceptional on offense this year.

I'm not exactly sure why so many MSU fans seem infatuated with Kendall Briles. At first I assumed it was because some fans thought that he could bring KJ Jefferson with him. His current OC is considered much better. I would be much more on board with Odom and Jeff Lebby honestly if I had to choose between Lebby and Briles.

Jarius
11-21-2023, 07:39 AM
Do we really want to hire Missouri's reject?

A lot of us are uncomfortable hiring an Auburn reject who finished ranked 5 times in 8 years, or a Texas reject who finished ranked 3 times in 4 years, but people are fine with a guy who never finished ranked at Missouri? And on top of that, another defensive guy when there was near unanimous agreement that we need an offensive head coach?

His Resume is very much like Kiffin’s. He got hired for a head job too young and then went to coaching rehab at Arkansas and a G5. He’s not the same coach or running the same offense he was 5 years ago.

Jarius
11-21-2023, 07:41 AM
I'm not exactly sure why so many MSU fans seem infatuated with Kendall Briles. At first I assumed it was because some fans thought that he could bring KJ Jefferson with him. His current OC is considered much better. I would be much more on board with Odom and Jeff Lebby honestly if I had to choose between Lebby and Briles.

They associate the name Briles with awesome offenses. None of them have probably ever heard of his current OC, who will run the most exciting offense we have ever had here. He goes up tempo A LOT and he marries the power run game with the air raid. It’s a mixture of what everyone here wants.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 07:51 AM

Briles is a good OC. KJ fell off a cliff without him

WPS
11-21-2023, 08:11 AM
Briles is a good OC. KJ fell off a cliff without him

He?s solid, only issue is his redzone offense is pretty bad but otherwise KJ was a perfect fit for him. Not sure why he?s had so many struggles at TCU but I know they?ve had some QB injuries.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Man I would take either coach in Kansas in a red hot minute. Those two coaches are studs.

1. Klieman
2. Leipold

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 08:30 AM
He?s solid, only issue is his redzone offense is pretty bad but otherwise KJ was a perfect fit for him. Not sure why he?s had so many struggles at TCU but I know they?ve had some QB injuries.

That's my assessment of him too. Solid but that's about it. I wouldn't hate having him but I also wouldn't sell off the farm to get him.

DawgFromOxford
11-21-2023, 08:53 AM

So what happens if we hire Odom and then his OC leaves after a year or 2? Doesn?t sound like there are a ton of guys out there who could run/coach his offensive style

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 08:54 AM
Man, who would y?all choose between Chadwell, Leipold, or Kleiman? IMO, the 2 Kansas guys will be super hard pulls.

Kleiman

He's my #1 at the moment

Turfdawg67
11-21-2023, 08:57 AM
From 2020:

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-richest-poorest-programs-alabama-crimson-tide-texas-longhorns-ohio-state-buckeyes-157982941/#1565577

You know that's revenue right? Not athletic budget...

Turfdawg67
11-21-2023, 08:59 AM

Then why doesn't he bring his current OC?

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 09:03 AM
Kleiman

He's my #1 at the moment

He is not coming. You need to remove him off your board.

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2023, 09:12 AM
You know that's revenue right? Not athletic budget...

If you want to know budgets, bookmark this page: https://knightnewhousedata.org/

And Liberty is private like Vandy and doesn't disclose their spending on athletics - so no one really knows.

Turfdawg67
11-21-2023, 09:13 AM
They associate the name Briles with awesome offenses. None of them have probably ever heard of his current OC, who will run the most exciting offense we have ever had here. He goes up tempo A LOT and he marries the power run game with the air raid. It?s a mixture of what everyone here wants.

Damn, you've convinced me. Let's roll if he brings this guy with him.

basedog
11-21-2023, 09:19 AM
So, Hugh Freeze had it made and with all the money as some say, he bolted, so why would Liberty have so a huge buyout and contract for Chadwell, asking for a friend?
Liberty may have tons of money, but they will never be a strong powerhouse unless they get into a conference bigger than what they are in. Strong conferences are made from top to bottom, not just one or two good programs. Btw, so what the Ncaa expands the playoff teams, can't see Liberty being the next Bama. Plus I can't see Liberty having a TV interest like say the Sec or Big 10 programs.

Turfdawg67
11-21-2023, 09:21 AM
@BrunswickDawg... That is an amazing site! Thanks for sharing.

So MSU spent $29M on football in 2022 and Kansas spent $21M

ETA: $21M is the FBS median. So we are spending $8M more than your average FBS, including Kansas.

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 09:24 AM
We damn near get 2 every year with only 4 slots.

W no conference champion guarantee. That takes up almost half of the 12 now. Changes the numbers. And yeah most years we will get 3. Some 4 possibly. But it's not certain

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 09:27 AM
So, Hugh Freeze had it made and with all the money as some say, he bolted, so why would Liberty have so a huge buyout and contract for Chadwell, asking for a friend?
Liberty may have tons of money, but they will never be a strong powerhouse unless they get into a conference bigger than what they are in. Strong conferences are made from top to bottom, not just one or two good programs. Btw, so what the Ncaa expands the playoff teams, can't see Liberty being the next Bama. Plus I can't see Liberty having a TV interest like say the Sec or Big 10 programs.

Because they knew that Freeze would bolt the second he built them up. But when he built them up they knew they needed to stay at that level. So they went out, hired a great HC, and made his buyout 8 figures so if someone really wanted him they would have to pay up and Liberty would have even more money to go get the next coach. They are protecting their valuable assets.

basedog
11-21-2023, 09:47 AM
Because they knew that Freeze would bolt the second he built them up. But when he built them up they knew they needed to stay at that level. So they went out, hired a great HC, and made his buyout 8 figures so if someone really wanted him they would have to pay up and Liberty would have even more money to go get the next coach. They are protecting their valuable assets.

Not disagreeing, point is can they keep a good Coach. Sec has way more to offer, and yes Msu can pay a good salary when needed. I do hear Chadwell is our #1 target, pretty sure he has so many days to decide then it's time to move to plan B if he says no. Also, not so sure about the buyout, I was told not even close to $12 Million but still a little high.
I learned a little about Herman also, he is not high on list.

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2023, 09:48 AM
@BrunswickDawg... That is an amazing site! Thanks for sharing.

So MSU spent $29M on football in 2022 and Kansas spent $21M

ETA: $21M is the FBS median. So we are spending $8M more than your average FBS, including Kansas.

The problem is that the SEC median is $47m .

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 09:50 AM

I read that and just started laughing. I don?t know where some of these people come up with this stuff

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 09:53 AM
Not disagreeing, point is can they keep a good Coach. Sec has way more to offer, and yes Msu can pay a good salary when needed. I do hear Chadwell is our #1 target, pretty sure he has so many days to decide then it's time to move to plan B if he says no. Also, not so sure about the buyout, I was told not even close to $12 Million but still a little high.

You are correct on both points. And we have a group of boosters that has already agreed to pony up for that buyout, which you are right is not near the 12 that was reported. And there is a time limit on that offer.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 09:55 AM

Nobody outside knows the actual buyout. There have been multiple reports published that speculated $12 MIL +. I've seen some say as low as $4 MIL but I never posted that as I've been told it's well above that. What's the actual number? The closest I've been told is that is 8 or close to 8 figures.

I've been saying Herman wasn't high on the list since before we actually fired CZA.

Turfdawg67
11-21-2023, 10:00 AM
The problem is that the SEC median is $47m .

Yeah, I saw that! "It just means more."

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 10:02 AM
I read that and just started laughing. I don?t know where some of these people come up with this stuff

I read comments like this and start laughing. Maybe I said it wrong because no one really knows what their athletic budget is because they are private. I do know this, they have plenty of money. They can spend it like they choose to spend it. But if they decide to get serious about football, they can pay as much or more than we can for a HC. Probably more. Their facilities are nicer than ours. Their IPF is top notch. Doesn't look like our trailer trash Mississippi building.
Some of you have tunnel vision. There's actually some nice places outside the SEC believe it or not.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 10:10 AM
The 5-7 just gets rid of the Pac12 essentially. 1 G5 school will still get in.

No I think it is just the 5 highest ranked conference champions and then 7 at large.
So if the PAC 12 survives by adding mountain west teams, they would be included. Of course that new version of the PAC12 essentially will be a G5 conference. Good for Oregon State, they could have an easy path.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 10:28 AM
Would y'all rather have Odom with Marion as his OC or Chadwell?

msstate7
11-21-2023, 10:31 AM

I'd prefer chadwell, but I wouldn't hate Odom

DesotoDog1967
11-21-2023, 10:34 AM
Can't find it now, but I think I saw something about Marion is being pursued by Penn State

msstate7
11-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Can't find it now, but I think I saw something about Marion is being pursued by Penn State

I would imagine if we take Odom, UNLV thinks hard about offering the HC job to Marion

confucius say
11-21-2023, 10:53 AM
If Marion doesn't come with Odom, do y'all still want Odom?

preachermatt83
11-21-2023, 10:54 AM

Heck no

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 10:57 AM

If he brings someone like Lebby with him yes.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 10:57 AM

I am not necessarily out, but it would have to be a heck of an OC hire. His OC hire of Derek Dooley is what sank him at Mizzou.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 11:16 AM
Odom has hired 3 OCs in his HC career: Josh heupel, Derek Dooley, and Marion. Maybe he has an eye for offensive coaches. Dooley was quite good in 2018; mizzou finished #3 in sec in total offense

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 11:37 AM

How is this even a question? A guy who's won big at 4 different schools vs. a guy who got fired by Missouri after going 13-19 in the SEC East

Tater
11-21-2023, 11:38 AM

UNLV was one of my win total over picks this year. And I've had them most weeks on teasers. But the last two weeks I sat down and watched the full game. (Well as full as you can when you have 4-6 screens going this past weekend).

It really is quality. I think I posted the excerpt from an article about his offense preseason, but man it just WORKS. I think if Odom leaves he becomes a HC at UNLV. So I'd rather hire someone else and throw 2+ million at him to be our OC. It's worth it.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 01:16 PM
How is this even a question? A guy who's won big at 4 different schools vs. a guy who got fired by Missouri after going 13-19 in the SEC East

I agree with you

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 01:28 PM

Well I would rather have Kyle Shanahan or Mike McDaniel if we just ask who would we rather have. But you have to look at things from a realistic and financial point of view:

Is Chadwell attainable? I think he is for the right price. What is that price? Probably around 6.25-6.75 with bonuses that take it over 7. Add into that a buyout that is somewhere between 4-12 mil. Add into that hiring a staff, which is probably another 5-6 mil. So at that point you are in it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-30 mil. You better be damn sure in the guy that has never coached at the P5 level to make that kind of investment.

Now for Odom: I think you could probably get him for 5.5-6. His buyout is somewhere around 3-4 mil and you would give him probably 5-6 mil for assistants. So you are probably in that hire to the tune of 13-16 million. Now, I know Barry Odom has done it at the P5 level and I know if I give him enough money for an OC, he can go hire a top of the line OC because he has done it before. I take Odom over Chadwell

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 01:30 PM
Well I would rather have Kyle Shanahan or Mike McDaniel if we just ask who would we rather have. But you have to look at things from a realistic and financial point of view:

Is Chadwell attainable? I think he is for the right price. What is that price? Probably around 6.25-6.75 with bonuses that take it over 7. Add into that a buyout that is somewhere between 4-12 mil. Add into that hiring a staff, which is probably another 5-6 mil. So at that point you are in it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-30 mil. You better be damn sure in the guy that has never coached at the P5 level to make that kind of investment.

Now for Odom: I think you could probably get him for 5.5-6. His buyout is somewhere around 3-4 mil and you would give him probably 5-6 mil for assistants. So you are probably in that hire to the tune of 13-16 million. Now, I know Barry Odom has done it at the P5 level and I know if I give him enough money for an OC, he can go hire a top of the line OC because he has done it before. I take Odom over Chadwell

You could get Chadwell for about $3mm more total. That's way better than a .500 SEC coach.

basedog
11-21-2023, 01:34 PM
You could get Chadwell for about $3mm more total. That's way better than a .500 SEC coach.

I would take Chadwell over Odom also. Who knows what we will get but I'm thinking by this time next week we will know,

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 01:34 PM

Again that may be true. And we have some heavy hitter boosters who are hellbent on Jamey Chadwell so it is not going to be a financial thing. I am just giving my point of view on it if I was doing the hiring and had the money. Chadwell scares me. That offense scares me because we are not good enough to run it right now and impact lineman in the portal are a rarity and you have to win the trenches for that offense to be remotely successful.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 01:39 PM

If you're gonna go apples to apples, here's both's record in G5...

Chadwell 50-22 (.694)
Odom 9-2 (.818)

They're both 46, so it's hard to give chadwell credit for not being as successful as Odom earlier in their careers. By successful, I mean Odom was a sec coach at 41 (pretty young).

ETA... Odom's 1st 2 years at Missouri, he was 11-14. The same 2 years, chadwell was 10-13 at Charleston southern and coastal Carolina

msstate7
11-21-2023, 01:44 PM
If you're gonna go apples to apples, here's both's record in G5...

Chadwell 50-22 (.694)
Odom 9-2 (.818)

They're both 46, so it's hard to give chadwell credit for not being as successful as Odom earlier in their careers. By successful, I mean Odom was a sec coach at 41 (pretty young).

ETA... Odom's 1st 2 years at Missouri, he was 11-14. The same 2 years, chadwell was 10-13 at Charleston southern and coastal Carolina

And BTW, you wanna know why hot young coaches are hesitant about our job, just look here... posters here consider coaches killing G5 as better than .500 coaches in sec play. Odom is proving he can dominate G5 also

KOdawg1
11-21-2023, 02:00 PM
The only reason I would be halfway open to the idea of Odom is that he's shown he's committed to having good offenses.

PPG at Mizzou:
2016: 31.4 (48th of 128)
2017: 37.5 (14th of 130)
2018: 36.6 (18th of 130)
2019: 25.3 (93rd of 130)

PPG at UNLV:
36.0 (19th of 133)

So outside of his last year at Mizzou, the dude has fielded good offenses. He also has shown the ability to hire solid offensive coordinators in Josh Heupel (2016-17) and Brennan Marion at UNLV who appears to be a rising star in the industry.

He's not my top choice or even in my top tier, but I'd prefer him over guys like Doeren, Fritz, Sumrall, etc.

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Okay, what's up with this Chip Kelly bullshit I'm hearing?

That's it. I'm tapping out. I'm done.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 02:10 PM

I'd take him over Odom

msstate7
11-21-2023, 02:11 PM
I'd take him over Odom

Doubt he'd come here at his age. I don't think he deserves to be fired at ucla

Coursesuper
11-21-2023, 03:13 PM
This entire thread is depressing.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Doubt he'd come here at his age. I don't think he deserves to be fired at ucla

I think they were ready to fire him and then he drummed USC so they are they are rethinking it now.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 03:30 PM
He is not coming. You need to remove him off your board.

Name the source or get off my lawn.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 03:31 PM
Odom would be a disappointing hire.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 03:32 PM

First I've heard of this. Where are you hearing that?

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 03:36 PM

I thought so too at first. The more I looked into his career, I think he's solid. Not a flashy hire by any means, but solid.

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 03:36 PM
The more you look at it, and given he brings the OC with him and can get a good staff, we could do worse than Odom. He should be a solid plan C or so if he can get all that done

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 03:40 PM

Another board throwing out smoke like Casey Jone's doomed train.

Goldendawg
11-21-2023, 03:41 PM
Needless to say, if we can get off the pocket book and make an exciting, splashy hire, we need to do it in the worst way. A hire like Odom will be very meh to all of the state fans I know in NE MS. Going to take a lot to remove the apathy and lack of hope in my area. Firing ZA was a start in the right direction, now show we are serious about football in the SEC with this hire.

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 03:43 PM

He would be a safe hire. We could do worse. If he brings in his OC from UNLV that's a big plus. I think some folks might start realizing Sam Pittman's success at Arkansas was predicated on using Odom's knowledge as a former head coach. There has been a significant drop off in coaching since Odom and Briles left.

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 03:47 PM
Needless to say, if we can get off the pocket book and make an exciting, splashy hire, we need to do it in the worst way. A hire like Odom will be very meh to all of the state fans I know in NE MS. Going to take a lot to remove the apathy and lack of hope in my area. Firing ZA was a start in the right direction, now show we are serious about football in the SEC with this hire.

We definitely need to swing for the fences. Odom should be plan C or D at best

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 03:51 PM
I thought so too at first. The more I looked into his career, I think he's solid. Not a flashy hire by any means, but solid.

Hmmm not sure I'd even call that a solid hire at this point but still need to watch some more of his game tape to look at in-game adjustments and game planning. On the other measurement criteria he seems very mediocre.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 03:52 PM
We definitely need to swing for the fences. Odom should be plan C or D at best

Wait for it folks ........... I agree with you Bucky.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 03:59 PM
Wait for it folks ........... I agree with you Bucky.

Lol!! It's a miracle!!!!

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 04:01 PM
I'd take him over Odom

Yes, think so too but truly there are several better choices that we're capable of pulling. But will we do what is necessary. That's always been the question with our hires.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 04:01 PM
He would be a safe hire. We could do worse. If he brings in his OC from UNLV that's a big plus. I think some folks might start realizing Sam Pittman's success at Arkansas was predicated on using Odom's knowledge as a former head coach. There has been a significant drop off in coaching since Odom and Briles left.

That's more losing Briles. It's why they fired their OC

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 04:19 PM
That's more losing Briles. It's why they fired their OC

He was the DC that absolutely shut Leach down the week after we put up 600,000 yards of offense against LSU. Just sayin

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 04:29 PM
He was the DC that absolutely shut Leach down the week after we put up 600,000 yards of offense against LSU. Just sayin

Which was really impressive until teams realized all he did was just drop 8. That was probably the easiest scheme job he ever had at Arkansas. Making Corral throw 7 INTs the next week was really impressive though.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 04:35 PM

Ark defense is better this year without Odom.
I know that's a talent issue too.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 04:36 PM
Name the source or get off my lawn.

Klieman's agent informed us he is not interested. Same for Michigan State as well.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 04:36 PM

Then the AR torched him the next two seasons.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 04:37 PM

There's no smoke on Kelly

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 04:40 PM
As been stated for a while now, Odom has been doing everything he can to get our job. He is not the top candidate but he very much wants our job and Selmon is doing his due diligence on every candidate.

C&DDAWG32
11-21-2023, 04:48 PM
I'm not saying in any way that he's ready or that we should look at him but I do think Collin Klein is an up and comer. He's learning from a great coach. He could be someone to watch in the future.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 04:51 PM
Klieman's agent informed us he is not interested. Same for Michigan State as well.

That's called negotiation.

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 04:52 PM
Which was really impressive until teams realized all he did was just drop 8. That was probably the easiest scheme job he ever had at Arkansas. Making Corral throw 7 INTs the next week was really impressive though.
Costello threw 5 and 3 times we turned it over inside the 10. Gave up about 500 yards, Costello just sucked

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 04:52 PM
As been stated for a while now, Odom has been doing everything he can to get our job. He is not the top candidate but he very much wants our job and Selmon is doing his due diligence on every candidate.

Who is the top candidate

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 04:56 PM

So if we bomb with the top four or five candidates Odom is the guy?

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 04:57 PM

Not when we are not going to pay over $8 MIL on a coach. We can't match what's left on his contract. But more importantly, he is 100% not interested in coming here.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 05:11 PM
Who is the top candidate

I know we have backing from boosters to get Chadwell and pay that buyout and Selmon has him high on the list. Until he completely decides he is not interested, that is who I would say is the top one or two candidate.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 05:15 PM

I don't know how Selmon has them ranked. That would be a good guess. I don't think the list and order of who we wants / we can get is complete until everything opens up after this weekend. Unless he gets a commitment from his top guy prior, that order will shift as guys pick up interest / decline interest.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 05:38 PM
Not when we are not going to pay over $8 MIL on a coach. We can't match what's left on his contract. But more importantly, he is 100% not interested in coming here.

He's making $6 million a year. Let's get in the adult pool or find another conference to play in.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 05:42 PM
Klieman isnt coming here...some of you live in an alternate reality

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 05:43 PM

No, that's being told I'm not interested. Not complicated

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Costello threw 5 and 3 times we turned it over inside the 10. Gave up about 500 yards, Costello just sucked

We had 400 yards on the nose. But we did throw it to the wrong color several times.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 05:46 PM
Klieman isnt coming here...some of you live in an alternate reality

Yeah. Cuz we po ole Mississippi State. Change the rhetoric Coach. Act like we belong and not try to achieve success with lesser options. Leaders make great things happen.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 05:47 PM

Yeah. I hired more than a few the candidate gave me that opening line. You MAKE IT HAPPEN.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 05:48 PM
Yeah. Cuz we po ole Mississippi State. Change the rhetoric Coach. Act like we belong and not try to achieve success with lesser options. Leaders make great things happen.

He's at an easier place to win. Why would he make a lateral move for a harder job? We absolutely shoulda fired Moorhead and arnett, but we've got a quick trigger reputation now that probably isn't appealing to guys with stability

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 05:49 PM
He's making $6 million a year. Let's get in the adult pool or find another conference to play in.

He's owed over $40 MIL on his contract, with triggers automatic extensions that he just hit it will get to over $46 MIL. We can't come close to matching that on a 4 year deal. The best we could do is $8 MIL per year with 2 years written in extensions to carry it out to 6 years. That just barely gets over what his current contract totals. You can keep banging your head against the wall but we are not going to pay $9-10 MIL as a starting salary. We can pay up to $8 MIL for the right coach. But again, and the final time, he is not interested in coaching here so all of this in the end is moot.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 05:50 PM

This^^^^!!!!!

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 05:56 PM
He's owed over $40 MIL on his contract, with triggers automatic extensions that he just hit it will get to over $46 MIL. We can't come close to matching that on a 4 year deal. The best we could do is $8 MIL per year with 2 years written in extensions to carry it out to 6 years. That just barely gets over what his current contract totals. You can keep banging your head against the wall but we are not going to pay $9-10 MIL as a starting salary. We can pay up to $8 MIL for the right coach. But again, and the final time, he is not interested in coaching here so all of this in the end is moot.

This is like NFL QB salaries the last five years. If schools want their coach of choice, you're going to spend the money or get left behind. Why is everyone OK to spout this 'gotta spend more money' message with NIL but not for the best coaching option. Spend what it takes to pull the best coaching option. It's no different.

Mjoelner34
11-21-2023, 06:04 PM

Yeah. The first time anyone on the entire team tried to run air-raid against a zone with zero practice. Peter Sirmon would have shut them down running a drop 8 zone.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 06:12 PM
This is like NFL QB salaries the last five years. If schools want their coach of choice, you're going to spend the money or get left behind. Why is everyone OK to spout this 'gotta spend more money' message with NIL but not for the best coaching option. Spend what it takes to pull the best coaching option. It's no different.

No matter how much some of us want to be- we wont ever be upper-tier SEC.

MetEdDawg
11-21-2023, 06:15 PM

This is an interesting take. It completely refutes the fact that people can evaluate situations and come to the conclusion that where they are is better than some other place and that no amount of money could change that.

It's a bold thought process though. I know I personally have not gone after jobs that would offer me substantial pay raises because the situation I was in was determined by me to be better than what I would be going into.

But maybe I'm the only one that's done that.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 06:19 PM
The fact we're refusing to even consider coordinators pissses me off. Our best coach came here as a coordinator. This idea we should accept a bad hire simply because we're only looking at head coaches is dumb as hell. Go talk to coordinators and see what their plan is. Selling a high ceiling is better than accepting mediocrity.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 06:24 PM
No matter how much some of us want to be- we wont ever be upper-tier SEC.

Yeah. This is the crux of it Coach. But it's going to be to an even greater extent. Soon we will no longer be an SEC program. We simply will be relegated to another group that makes more sense for us. It's coming.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 06:28 PM
Yeah. This is the crux of it Coach. But it's going to be to an even greater extent. Soon we will no longer be an SEC program. We simply will be relegated to another group that makes more sense for us. It's coming.

But here’s the thing- with all the realignment still to come- it’s not going to matter who we hire.

https://twitter.com/gswaim/status/1726721402261369144?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

Ezsoil
11-21-2023, 06:33 PM

Kinda like what happened in our last baseball search

Mjoelner34
11-21-2023, 06:36 PM
Kinda like what happened in our last baseball search

Visions of Chadwell making the rounds at the SEC Championship game telling everyone he got the job before it's officially announced just popped into my head.

Santiago
11-21-2023, 06:42 PM
Visions of Chadwell making the rounds at the SEC Championship game telling everyone he got the job before it's officially announced just popped into my head.

Did that happen?
I do remember a certain AD going on the radio gushing about the future HC. Cohen definitely enjoyed the attention.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 06:43 PM
The fact we're refusing to even consider coordinators pissses me off. Our best coach came here as a coordinator. This idea we should accept a bad hire simply because we're only looking at head coaches is dumb as hell. Go talk to coordinators and see what their plan is. Selling a high ceiling is better than accepting mediocrity.

I get it, we have spoken to a coordinator though. But depending on how things shake out, we could end up with a sitting P5 coach. Long shot but I think you have to have that conversation for that particular coach and go down that path of interest.

Mjoelner34
11-21-2023, 06:45 PM
Did that happen?
I do remember a certain AD going on the radio gushing about the future HC. Cohen definitely enjoyed the attention.

I wasn't in Omaha but I heard Schloss was there telling people he had the job.

HoopsDawg
11-21-2023, 06:59 PM
But here?s the thing- with all the realignment still to come- it?s not going to matter who we hire.

https://twitter.com/gswaim/status/1726721402261369144?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

Wut? Of course it matters. Quit being such a pu$$y.

Cowbell
11-21-2023, 07:19 PM
This thread makes me thankful that I have been on this board long enough to know who to trust and I can quickly scan past the other 90% of clutter...

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 07:39 PM
I read comments like this and start laughing. Maybe I said it wrong because no one really knows what their athletic budget is because they are private. I do know this, they have plenty of money. They can spend it like they choose to spend it. But if they decide to get serious about football, they can pay as much or more than we can for a HC. Probably more. Their facilities are nicer than ours. Their IPF is top notch. Doesn't look like our trailer trash Mississippi building.
Some of you have tunnel vision. There's actually some nice places outside the SEC believe it or not.

Then say that in your original post instead of crap like their athletic budget dwarfs ours

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 07:44 PM

Someone with experience is way less risky. The time we went the coordinator route since 1979 Dan is really the only one that worked out. Felker,
Moorhead, and Arnett were not good. Dan worked out so we're at 25% there.

The guys with coaching experience that we have hired- Bellard, Jackie, and Leach all were successful here.

Croom was a NFL guy so he doesn't fit but clearly didn't work out.

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 07:46 PM
I would imagine we are definitely considering coordinators and doing our DD on everyone, but there is a strong preference and lean towards a current HC. Selmon is a smart guy, he knows what needs to be done

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Someone with experience is way less risky. The time we went the coordinator route since 1979 Dan is really the only one that worked out. Felker,

The guys with coaching experience that we have hired- Bellard, Jackie, and Leach all were successful here.

There's no success without risk.And counting Cohen hires are illegitimate. He's an unqualified fool trained by Templeton who was the same.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 07:55 PM
Look, I said when this started to watch for Elko if A&M didn't move on him. Well, here we are and there he is. I don't know if we can pull him, but since we've talked to him, there's at least something there- could be a raise from Duke, could be a move to the SEC. Could be he gets another job too. But he's a plus guy.

MetEdDawg
11-21-2023, 07:58 PM
Look, I said when this started to watch for Elko if A&M didn't move on him. Well, here we are and there he is. I don't know if we can pull him, but since we've talked to him, there's at least something there- could be a raise from Duke, could be a move to the SEC. Could be he gets another job too. But he's a plus guy.

This to me would be a home run hire. SEC coordinator experience, big time program experience as a coordinator, successful P5 head coach at a place that doesn't traditionally win. To me that's as good as hire as anyone could possibly ask for.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 08:05 PM

Got to get through Michigan St as well. They may be close to getting their guy. TAM is not expecting to announce their coach until after the Conference championships, so that would indicate that Elko is not their top guy or they have their guy and waiting.

Todd4State
11-21-2023, 08:09 PM
I would be pretty happy with Elko. He has been at A&M and also at Notre Dame with Brian Kelly

HoopsDawg
11-21-2023, 08:16 PM

Elko would be in the homerun category.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 08:17 PM
I'm down with elko. Bring Riley Leonard too

msstate7
11-21-2023, 08:18 PM
Got to get through Michigan St as well. They may be close to getting their guy. TAM is not expecting to announce their coach until after the Conference championships, so that would indicate that Elko is not their top guy or they have their guy and waiting.

Who is aTm after in championship round?

civildawg
11-21-2023, 08:19 PM
Who is Michigan state targeting?

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 08:23 PM
Liepold

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 08:25 PM

Elko, Candle, Fisch and Smith. Leipold looks to not have made their top 4. Could be a smokescreen though.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 08:25 PM
Who is aTm after in championship round?

I'm not sure who it will finally be with them. They are doing a full national search though.

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 08:27 PM
Elko, Candle, Fisch and Smith. Leipold looks to not have made their top 4. Could be a smokescreen though.

Oh interesting. Ive been hearing Leipold but that?s from national media. Elko would do very well there

Mjoelner34
11-21-2023, 08:37 PM

They know he's coming here.**

Coach34
11-21-2023, 08:42 PM
Wut? Of course it matters. Quit being such a pu$$y.

It really doesnt. Remember what I said over the next 10 years

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 09:19 PM

Bellard had 2 winning seasons in 7 years w Tyler's players. Playing 6 sec games out of 11.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 09:44 PM
Bellard had 2 winning seasons in 7 years w Tyler's players. Playing 6 sec games out of 11.

once he lost Tyler's players it was over

HoopsDawg
11-21-2023, 10:11 PM

You've taken so many L's recently I'm encouraged by this prediction.

Activated Alpha
11-21-2023, 10:23 PM

Serious question. Do you have that same mindset with baseball or is it just football?

Jarius
11-21-2023, 11:27 PM

If OM can hire a coach like Kiffin and have that type of success so can we. Now we are going to have to have our donors stop giving so much of a shit about baseball and funnel that NIL money to football, but it does matter if our big money boosters decide it matters. There will have to be a change in booster mentality along with a really good hire for it to matter though.

Coach34
11-22-2023, 12:06 AM
You've taken so many L's recently I'm encouraged by this prediction.

I really havent- and u will you understand soon enough

Coach34
11-22-2023, 12:07 AM
Serious question. Do you have that same mindset with baseball or is it just football?

No- baseball is less costly for us and we can compete here on a national level. Football is lost and a waste now

Coach34
11-22-2023, 12:09 AM
If OM can hire a coach like Kiffin and have that type of success so can we. Now we are going to have to have our donors stop giving so much of a shit about baseball and funnel that NIL money to football, but it does matter if our big money boosters decide it matters. There will have to be a change in booster mentality along with a really good hire for it to matter though.

Even Mississippi will struggle moving forward with realignment with the money they are willing to spend

Jarius
11-22-2023, 12:58 AM
Even Mississippi will struggle moving forward with realignment with the money they are willing to spend
I’m sure they will struggle some, but they will also be in the playoff conversation in other years, and that means having a good coach matters a whole lot.

bobtail bob
11-22-2023, 01:18 AM
Just don?t try to sell me on some bitter , retread that has been fired before and all the spark been whipped out of them.

Todd4State
11-22-2023, 02:59 AM
I’m sure they will struggle some, but they will also be in the playoff conversation in other years, and that means having a good coach matters a whole lot.

Some of it is the cycle in the SEC. Auburn has had a lot of coaching issues the past few years. LSU has changed coaches but Kelly has them going. Arkansas has been relatively unstable. Texas A&M just now decided to fire Jimbo and was awful against Ole Miss. We've been unstable as well.

Add in the fact that they have five wins programmed in with Vanderbilt being one of their permanent opponents and their success isn't that surprising. There's a reason why Kiffin has been winning 9-10 games but has very few top 25 wins. Once those schools get back on their feet plus Ole Miss losing Vandy every year and then things will cycle back.

Todd4State
11-22-2023, 03:22 AM

Even if you consider him a bust we're still at a higher rate hiring a guy with head coaching experience. With the bust being a guy who won 9 games and led us to our biggest win in school history in a completely different era of college football.

TrapGame
11-22-2023, 09:27 AM
Per Bo Bounds, Barry Odom is the modern day Jackie Sherrill. He thinks Barry is in our top two or three along with Malzahn. Good grief.

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 09:30 AM
No- baseball is less costly for us and we can compete here on a national level. Football is lost and a waste now

But not everybody cares about JV sports like baseball.

Really Clark?
11-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Per Bo Bounds, Barry Odom is the modern day Jackie Sherrill. He thinks Barry is in our top two or three along with Malzahn. Good grief.

Should tell how good his sources are...Malzhan removed his name days ago.

RezDog7
11-22-2023, 09:35 AM

Bo is a douche canoe. He regurgitates whatever Rosie says.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2023, 09:38 AM
But not everybody cares about JV sports like baseball.

Sure, lets defund the only athletic program to consistently contend for National Titles across multiple decades, and the only program to win one (sorry Frisbee Golf, Bass Fishing, and Electric cars y'all don't count) so we can go from 35th best football program to 30th. Because that is how little of an impact it would have.

We need to need to invest more in football but not at the expense of other programs.

State82
11-22-2023, 10:45 AM
We need to need to invest more in football but not at the expense of other programs.

Precisely. To do otherwise is ignorant. Our football program is what it is.

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 12:02 PM
Bo is a douche canoe. He regurgitates whatever Rosie says.

He and Rosie talked up Odom a good bit this morning and Rosie also pretty much crapped on any possibility of Chadwell.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:05 PM
Should tell how good his sources are...Malzhan removed his name days ago.

Not necessarily with Malzahn. I do think Odom would be a better hire than some people are thinking. Also, some have gotten so hyper focused on Chadwell that any other candidate is a failure

MetEdDawg
11-22-2023, 12:05 PM
Marcello tweeting that he's being told Chadwell is out of the running for our job.

Not sure how good his info anymore but that's just something out there.

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 12:06 PM
Sure, lets defund the only athletic program to consistently contend for National Titles across multiple decades, and the only program to win one (sorry Frisbee Golf, Bass Fishing, and Electric cars y'all don't count) so we can go from 35th best football program to 30th. Because that is how little of an impact it would have.

Didn't say one thing about defunding baseball. But I also don't believe that it should be a huge money sink either. Football is the money maker and it is the only money maker. Therefore it deserves to command most of the attention. Because lets be honest. Other than a sign on the OF fence and some flags around the stadium, what did the baseball natty do to move the needle of the Mississippi State University athletic department?

msstate7
11-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Marcello tweeting that he's being told Chadwell is out of the running for our job.

With chadwell out, who has the real finalists here? Anyone?

Really Clark?
11-22-2023, 12:20 PM

That's true unless he changes his mind

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:20 PM
With chadwell out, who has the real finalists here? Anyone?

Odom, Elko, Doeren, Fritz, Sumrall

Outside Shot WC: Malzahn or Lashlee

If I had $100 to bet I would put $80 on Odom and $10 a piece on Malzahn and Lashlee just in case it hit

Really Clark?
11-22-2023, 12:21 PM
Not necessarily with Malzahn. I do think Odom would be a better hire than some people are thinking. Also, some have gotten so hyper focused on Chadwell that any other candidate is a failure

Malzhan will have to let us know he changed his mind then.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:22 PM
Malzhan will have to let us know he changed his mind then.

Money changes minds. It will be interesting to see who the Chadwell or bust boosters back since he is out now.

Cooterpoot
11-22-2023, 12:23 PM

If I had $100 to bet I would put $80 on Odom and $10 a piece on Malzahn and Lashlee just in case it hit

I'll be surprised if it's any of those

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:24 PM
I'll be surprised if it's any of those

I mean unless you think it is going to be Dave Clawson, and I pray to the lord in heaven we do not hire that bitter bag of bones, who do you think it will be

msstate7
11-22-2023, 12:24 PM

5 defensive coaches. Surprisingly, I'm cool with any of those

Cooterpoot
11-22-2023, 12:25 PM
I mean unless you think it is going to be Dave Clawson, and I pray to the lord in heaven we do not hire that bitter bag of bones, who do you think it will be

You don't know everyone we're talking to. Stop listening to certain mouthpieces.

Really Clark?
11-22-2023, 12:26 PM
Money changes minds. It will be interesting to see who the Chadwell or bust boosters back since he is out now.

Eh, he has plenty and is interested in waiting on Ark another year. It's the silly season, he could but he was pretty set on staying.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:28 PM
You don't know everyone we're talking to. Stop listening to certain mouthpieces.

I actually do know most of them. Those names are not coming from a media member of ours. I mean if you are holding out hope for Kleiman or Leipold then I cannot help you. THEY ARE NOT COMING. NEITHER OF THEM. Chadwell is also out barring a change of heart on his part.

Edit: There is a 2% chance on Kleiman so he is not at 0% like Leipold.