PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tranfers

Pages : [1] 2 3

TNDawg35
06-07-2022, 09:45 PM
So are waiting for the draft or what? I saw where USCw best pitcher is going to A&M per Rogers. I mean there are 2 Tulane players we were rumored for and both seasons are over. Plus they promoted their assistant coach to head coach. So what are we waiting on!!?? I mean hell we need a whole pitching staff and we have gotten what 1 or 2 so far?

DownwardDawg
06-07-2022, 09:51 PM
Yeah. I'm antsy to see some movement.

HoopsDawg
06-07-2022, 10:12 PM
and we lost the Miami of Ohio pitcher to AU. He was rumored to MSU.

BayouDawg
06-07-2022, 10:18 PM
This coaching staff took one hell of a victory lap after that natty.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2022, 10:19 PM
We're about to get another transfer I believe. I expect one by maybe end of week, we'll see.

TNDawg35
06-07-2022, 11:27 PM
We're about to get another transfer I believe. I expect one by maybe end of week, we'll see.

Go ahead and spill it. Who is it? Atleast say it’s a pitcher…

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2022, 12:18 AM
Lemonis needs +20 transfers or new players. Need a full pitching staff with only 4 guys potentially coming back, factoring the draft (Sims, Hunt, B Smith, Loftin, Preston, The Amphibian) and injury recovery (Stone, Stinnett, Auger).

If the JC guy MSU signed is really 99 to 100, he is a draft risk too.

The coaches know next year is for all the marbles, so they have clarity. Also, Vitello, Van Horne, LSU, OSullivan, Bianco, Butch and Schloss are all busy for the next month, could give MSU and edge on recruiting and scouting.

Todd4State
06-08-2022, 12:35 AM
So are waiting for the draft or what? I saw where USCw best pitcher is going to A&M per Rogers. I mean there are 2 Tulane players we were rumored for and both seasons are over. Plus they promoted their assistant coach to head coach. So what are we waiting on!!?? I mean hell we need a whole pitching staff and we have gotten what 1 or 2 so far?

The only Tulane player I've heard that we're in on is Groff.

Lemonis needs +20 transfers or new players. Need a full pitching staff with only 4 guys potentially coming back, factoring the draft (Sims, Hunt, B Smith, Loftin, Preston, The Amphibian) and injury recovery (Stone, Stinnett, Auger).

If the JC guy MSU signed is really 99 to 100, he is a draft risk too.

The coaches know next year is for all the marbles, so they have clarity. Also, Vitello, Van Horne, LSU, OSullivan, Bianco, Butch and Schloss are all busy for the next month, could give MSU and edge on recruiting and scouting.

I don't expect Simmons or Auger to contribute much if at all next year. Expect them to be redshirted. Good chance that Stinnett is done with baseball much less MSU.

There's a lot of moving parts here still. The regionals literally ended yesterday so players are just now entering the portal. We'll see some more players enter after the Supers and Omaha as well.

And as you said we need to try to figure out what is going to happen with the draft with our recruits and former players.

Also, the Cape starts in a few days. I'll be keeping a close eye on Fristoe.

Holcombe the JUCO you are referring to likely will be coming to school.

StarkVegasSteve
06-08-2022, 08:32 AM
Our pursuit of Groff is starting to heat up immensely.

We are on the AF pitcher Skenes but behind a couple of teams at the moment.

We are on a couple of other pitchers as well, should start to become clearer in the next week.

Also do not be surprised if you see some LSU guys hit the portal this week.

AlSwearengen
06-08-2022, 09:53 AM
If we see a trend of losing portal targets, especially pitchers, we have problems outside of simple roster issues. We just won a NC and have more than half of a roster to fill out, therefore plenty of playing time and innings available.

I hope we have gotten rid of the waitress that was telling baseball recruits how shitty Starkville and MSU is.

CadaverDawg
06-08-2022, 10:05 AM
and we lost the Miami of Ohio pitcher to AU. He was rumored to MSU.

Butch capitalizing on his current season on the recruiting trail...wish our guy had done that last year around this time, and maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

No days off in recruiting in the SEC in any sport...I don't understand why State can't seem to hire people that understand this. Recruiting has to be a passion of the coach in this league...and frankly, the money is so good that it should be demanded and expected. Lemonis clearly let his foot off the gas last year and got lazy. He can fix it, but it's a damn shame that it got to this point so quickly, and on the heels of a Natty. That just can't happen. I know I'm beating a dead horse, it just kills me when we fail to build off of good seasons in any sport. Happens too much here.

The baseball portal updates on guy like Groff, are starting to sound a lot like the Moseley situation in hoops...a lot of noise and nothing to show for it. Really need to start closing these guys. We are no longer the shiniest object in the room, and as Omaha progresses, we will only look less appealing.

Dawg2003
06-08-2022, 11:15 AM
Butch capitalizing on his current season on the recruiting trail...wish our guy had done that last year around this time, and maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

No days off in recruiting in the SEC in any sport...I don't understand why State can't seem to hire people that understand this. Recruiting has to be a passion of the coach in this league...and frankly, the money is so good that it should be demanded and expected. Lemonis clearly let his foot off the gas last year and got lazy. He can fix it, but it's a damn shame that it got to this point so quickly, and on the heels of a Natty. That just can't happen. I know I'm beating a dead horse, it just kills me when we fail to build off of good seasons in any sport. Happens too much here.

The baseball portal updates on guy like Groff, are starting to sound a lot like the Moseley situation in hoops...a lot of noise and nothing to show for it. Really need to start closing these guys. We are no longer the shiniest object in the room, and as Omaha progresses, we will only look less appealing.

Unfortunately, recency bias is a thing. People tend to remember the most recent events, and we recently looked like poo. Should have capitalized more when we were in Omaha. Of course, we can still get some players, but it's funny how fast the shine gets knocked off that natty when you look as bad as we did this year. Add to that your in state and SEC rivals still playing, and it's hard to swallow.

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2022, 11:31 AM
So Butch takes a target player, has about the same 2022 class, better 2023 class, and maybe the same 2024 class ... at Auburn. With a worse stadium, worse tradition, no championship, ugly uniforms, ugly school colors, for another small town school, and MSU has the "elite" recruiter

When is this elite recruiting supposed to kick in.

Even Ole Miss' recruiting looks just as good or better as MSU's in coming years, even with OM coach rumors and a history of epic chokes

Tripp McNeely
06-08-2022, 12:02 PM
So Butch takes a target player, has about the same 2022 class, better 2023 class, and maybe the same 2024 class ... at Auburn. With a worse stadium, worse tradition, no championship, ugly uniforms, ugly school colors, for another small town school, and MSU has the "elite" recruiter

When is this elite recruiting supposed to kick in.

Even Ole Miss' recruiting looks just as good or better as MSU's in coming years, even with OM coach rumors and a history of epic chokes

Our 22, 23, and 24 classes are rated #8, #8 and #4

State82
06-08-2022, 12:27 PM
I just don't think recruiting rankings in baseball translate to on-the-field results like they do in football and basketball. Too many unknowns and too many crapshoots. Unless you hang on to a handful of top 5 round draft choices. Which isn't going to happen.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2022, 12:38 PM

I don't think you can really compare what happened last summer versus what is happening now. The NCAA approved the 1 Free Transfer Rule on April 28th last year. By rule, we were in a recruiting dead period until June 1. Players had until July 1 to get in the portal.
https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-approves-one-time-transfer-rule-end-of-recruiting-dead-period/z4VeShqu36oD/

We were in the middle of a Natty run that went until June 30th. Teams that went deep into Omaha were at a real disadvantage last year with the way the NCAA opened recruiting up. Of the Final Four teams last season a combined 6 portal guys were signed: 1 by Vandy, 2 by MSU, 3 by UT, and 0 by NC State. That is less than LSU or A&M had as teams. Of course, they were sitting at home while we were in Omaha.

I don't want anyone to mistake this we me thinking we shouldn't be hitting hard right now, we should be. I just think the answer isn't quite as simple as "Lemonis missed capitalizing on the Natty in the Portal"

Dawg2003
06-08-2022, 12:43 PM
I just don't think recruiting rankings in baseball translate to on-the-field results like they do in football and basketball. Too many unknowns and too many crapshoots. Unless you hang on to a handful of top 5 round draft choices. Which isn't going to happen.

This is a good point why I think the portal is important. Get someone who has proven themselves as a G5 or P5 player. That is a much safer investment. Don't get people that were highly ranked out of high school but failed at the P5 level at a different program.

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2022, 01:00 PM
Our 22, 23, and 24 classes are rated #8, #8 and #4

In baseball, you have to look at the whole crop and then mentally discount all the Blaze Jordan and James McCants and James Woods that are super high rated, but will never play for MSU. Some are the crazy people that like to talk to Salesmen from the Glenngarry Glennross movie.

Poor Jack Lemmon thinks he won the sales competition, then Kevin Spacey informs him the buyers are crazy people that will never actually close the deal. But Jack had been ringing the bell, for sales.

Even the mighty Texas midget that Coach34 does not like, that's a 95% fake croot. Same with the amphibian.

Baseball teams at MSU are built on middle of the class players like Pilkington and Hunter Hines, so tough to judge. So in overall, you can judge that Auburn is not behind us in any way, looking at the upper but mid-range players that both teams will likely keep.

https://y.yarn.co/df4f98ad-1e37-4dd4-9b13-22c3a677794d_text.gif

raymonddawg
06-08-2022, 01:13 PM
MSU just gained a commitment from Samfords best player.

CadaverDawg
06-08-2022, 01:18 PM

Samford is usually pretty good. Who is it?

By the way, I didn't realize Maurice Hampton was at Samford. He was a 4 star baseball/football player that we wanted out of a memphis that went to LSU, and clearly didn't turn out to be as good as once thought. Did he get injured or something? What happened to him? He seemed like a can't miss player

Leroy Jenkins
06-08-2022, 01:19 PM

Marcel's grandson. Could be Cumbest's replacement.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2022, 01:36 PM

Wonder if he can shoot up here amongst us?

Pancho
06-08-2022, 01:40 PM
one of us need some relief

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2022, 01:47 PM

Wonder if he can shoot up here amongst us?

His walk up music should be "HAWWWWW Shoot that thang!"

confucius say
06-08-2022, 01:52 PM
I don't think you can really compare what happened last summer versus what is happening now. The NCAA approved the 1 Free Transfer Rule on April 28th last year. By rule, we were in a recruiting dead period until June 1. Players had until July 1 to get in the portal.
https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-approves-one-time-transfer-rule-end-of-recruiting-dead-period/z4VeShqu36oD/

We were in the middle of a Natty run that went until June 30th. Teams that went deep into Omaha were at a real disadvantage last year with the way the NCAA opened recruiting up. Of the Final Four teams last season a combined 6 portal guys were signed: 1 by Vandy, 2 by MSU, 3 by UT, and 0 by NC State. That is less than LSU or A&M had as teams. Of course, they were sitting at home while we were in Omaha.

I don't want anyone to mistake this we me thinking we shouldn't be hitting hard right now, we should be. I just think the answer isn't quite as simple as "Lemonis missed capitalizing on the Natty in the Portal"

Excellent point on the timeline and the portal closing july 1 and our season ending June 30.

KOdawg1
06-08-2022, 02:19 PM
Very solid get.

Now go land Ethan Groff, a middle infielder, a catcher, and then load up on pitchers that have a pulse and can throw strikes.

HoopsDawg
06-08-2022, 02:35 PM
Very solid get.

Now go land Ethan Groff, a middle infielder, a catcher, and then load up on pitchers that have a pulse and can throw strikes.

Position for Samford kid? Can he play CF or is he a LF? Groff can play Cf right?

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2022, 03:09 PM
Very solid get.

Already got Nate Chester from the Portal for 2B. Unless a sure-fire SS is available to replace Forsyth, I'd rather focus on the pitching

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Position for Samford kid? Can he play CF or is he a LF? Groff can play Cf right?

Looks like he played LF - but with 14 SB he could have the ability to play CF

Commercecomet24
06-08-2022, 03:35 PM
Colton is a Yeager type hitter with more speed.

He's gonna help a bunch.

KOdawg1
06-08-2022, 03:43 PM
Already got Nate Chester from the Portal for 2B. Unless a sure-fire SS is available to replace Forsyth, I'd rather focus on the pitching

He's a juco. I'd get another

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Best post of the day- we need reliable relief pitchers. Lefties and righties and a Butch Thompson arm slot guy. Even a Butch sinker man.

Todd4State
06-08-2022, 04:05 PM
He's a juco. I'd get another

I agree but I do want to point out that he started out at Mizzou before going to JUCO.

KOdawg1
06-08-2022, 04:11 PM
I agree but I do want to point out that he started out at Mizzou before going to JUCO.
I know but he's still a Juco. Those are wildcards for the most part.

Homedawg
06-08-2022, 05:43 PM
There is only so much scholarship money available. Have to be specific and know the difference between, wants and needs. Have to's and would like to haves

Cooterpoot
06-08-2022, 05:48 PM
We're after a couple pitchers and a couple position guys still. The next week or so should be busy.

confucius say
06-08-2022, 06:25 PM
Arms. Arms. Arms. And more arms. I think the staff knows and is working on it.

ZedFedder
06-08-2022, 06:26 PM
That is a huge grab to get the Samford guy. We may not get a Dollander, but I trust we will get some serviceable guys.

maroonmania
06-08-2022, 08:39 PM
Arms. Arms. Arms. And more arms. I think the staff knows and is working on it.

Exactly, we could have a competitive team with the position players we already have but without a bunch of new pitchers on our staff that can be effective we aren't leaving the bottom half of the SEC.

Activated Alpha
06-08-2022, 09:10 PM
I want all those Nolan Ryan type pitchers we faced earlier in the season like that Grambling pitcher. Oh wait......

HoopsDawg
06-08-2022, 09:24 PM
There is only so much scholarship money available. Have to be specific and know the difference between, wants and needs. Have to's and would like to haves

If Luke comes back, that would really help. Otherwise, we Have to sign a transfer catcher. Need 1 more OF. And need 1 more MIF. Then everything else has to go to arms.

BayouDawg
06-08-2022, 09:26 PM
Really like the ledbedder pickup. Just make the tournament next year. Should have a good young group that can grow to be special in the next few years.

HoopsDawg
06-08-2022, 09:31 PM
I see it something like this....

RF: Kellum
CF: Groff or O'donnell
LF: Ledbetter

3B: Slate
SS: Lane
2B: Chester or transfer
1B: Hines
DH: Downs
C: Hancock or transfer

So that's 3 open spots for transfer position players. Then pour all other scholarship money, NIL money, and efforts into re-tooling the pitching staff

TNDawg35
06-08-2022, 09:41 PM
I see it something like this....

RF: Kellum
CF: Groff or O'donnell
LF: Ledbetter

3B: Slate
SS: Lane
2B: Chester or transfer
1B: Hines
DH: Downs
C: Hancock or transfer

So that's 3 open spots for transfer position players. Then pour all other scholarship money, NIL money, and efforts into re-tooling the pitching staff

You forgot Tommy Tanks***

Cooterpoot
06-08-2022, 09:49 PM
I think some will be surprised a little by what we bring in. We aren't settling for guys that haven't proven they can hit it.

TNDawg35
06-08-2022, 10:27 PM
I think some will be surprised a little by what we bring in. We aren't settling for guys that haven't proven they can hit it.

We aren’t necessarily worried about the hitting part. We are worried about the pitching part.

Cooterpoot
06-08-2022, 10:57 PM
We aren’t necessarily worried about the hitting part. We are worried about the pitching part.

We? I'm just saying, we're looking and if good hitter is available where we need them, we're going to grab them. Our lineup next year is far from great with what we've got. We're going to sign pitching, but we aren't done with hitters either.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2022, 12:18 AM

If MSU can replace a pen with a weighed average ERA of +7 with dudes that just 4 on ERA, that's a huge swing in outcomes.

That's roughly 12 more wins, 7 more in the SEC. You make a regional and host it.

That's just 6 decent pitchers.

If you could find a Jonathan Holder (just a miracle) you are in a Super.

TNDawg35
06-09-2022, 12:25 AM
We? I'm just saying, we're looking and if good hitter is available where we need them, we're going to grab them. Our lineup next year is far from great with what we've got. We're going to sign pitching, but we aren't done with hitters either.

Oh no, I agree totally. You take everything and process what you don’t. I just wanna know when the pitchers are coming. There are several decent to good arms in the portal and have already went other places. We knew we needed pitching, we should have cleaned up on that.

Todd4State
06-09-2022, 01:24 AM
I know but he's still a Juco. Those are wildcards for the most part.

True. But the JUCO's that played at a SEC school are a little bit less of a wild card. See Nate Lowe and Jack Kruger.

Really like the ledbedder pickup. Just make the tournament next year. Should have a good young group that can grow to be special in the next few years.

Next year is essentially going to be Lemonis's version of Cohen's 2011. With a modern twist because of the players we are going to get for the portal.

If MSU can replace a pen with a weighed average ERA of +7 with dudes that just 4 on ERA, that's a huge swing in outcomes.

That's roughly 12 more wins, 7 more in the SEC. You make a regional and host it.

Exactly. And we don't have to get them all from the portal. I think we see some old guys improve- hopefully Fristoe- and we always seem to have at least one freshman pitcher a year that contributes in some role every year.

BrunswickDawg
06-09-2022, 07:24 AM

We had 3 Saves this year. THREE. If we had any one of Riley Self, Jon Holder, Spencer Price, Jared Liebelt, Chad Girodo, Cole Gordon, etc - we have 5-8 more wins and likely make post season.

State82
06-09-2022, 07:30 AM
We had 3 Saves this year. THREE

Damn! That is horrendous. I didn't even think about that.

Cooterpoot
06-09-2022, 08:42 AM
Oh no, I agree totally. You take everything and process what you don?t. I just wanna know when the pitchers are coming. There are several decent to good arms in the portal and have already went other places. We knew we needed pitching, we should have cleaned up on that.

The run on pitchers starts next week I believe. I think there are two we're close to grabbing up. Not positive on one but we'll see.

Travelingdawg
06-09-2022, 10:04 AM
What website is the go to for monitoring who is in portal?

raymonddawg
06-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Not elitedawgs.... all you'll get here are posters with vague info like "we're about to pickup 3 pitchers, i just can't say who yet" or "we're close with a couple hitters, but I can't drop a name"

BeardoMSU
06-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Not elitedawgs.... all you'll get here are posters with vague info like "we're about to pickup 3 pitchers, i just can't say who yet" or "we're close with a couple hitters, but I can't drop a name"

That reminds me of Robin Williams' Donald Rumsfeld impression:

"I don't know where....I don't know when....but something awful is going to happen".

FISHDAWG
06-09-2022, 11:21 AM

Cant rep you but good post Brunswick ... you always seem to do your research and it's appreciated
Cad - I feel your frustration and I thought our 2014 football season would give us a much better bump in recruiting - but it didn't really - not so much as one would expect

KOdawg1
06-09-2022, 11:35 AM
Here's a RHP from Stetson we should take a look at. Put up a 3.21 ERA, 55 Ks, 12 BBs in 53 IP as a freshman. He'd be a good bullpen piece with multiple years of eligibility. Currently in the portal.

https://d1baseball.com/player/4wgFCc5L/dominic-stagliano/

Here's a MIF we've been rumored to have reached out to

https://d1baseball.com/player/kpuub28k/

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2022, 12:17 PM

Portal FAQ in a student-athlete website

Can anyone view the transfer portal?
When providing access to the transfer portal for coaching or staff members, by default, the individual will have view only privileges. Edit privileges should only be provided to individuals who will enter and update the student’s record.

Can the public view the NCAA transfer portal?
Coaches can see who is in the portal, but it is not public information. Athletes can withdraw from the portal; it’s then up to the school to decide whether to take that athlete back and restore his/her scholarship.

Can you remove your name from the transfer portal?
If a student puts their name in the portal, it is not in there permanently. Student athletes can remove their names if they want to. The portal gives coaches the ability to sort entries by sport, name, conference, division, and school. it also gives them the ability to save entries to a “transfer watchlist”.

Is the transfer portal public?
But with the advent of the Transfer Portal, interest in the process behind approving transfers has intensified — partly because the idea of a new digital tool for managing it is intriguing, and partly because the media and the public don’t have access to the portal.

This is supposedly a screenshot of the official "portal" database that coaches have access to:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwkgffNXcAEAztg?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Here's a RHP from Stetson we should take a look at. Put up a 3.21 ERA, 55 Ks, 12 BBs in 53 IP as a freshman. He'd be a good bullpen piece with multiple years of eligibility. Currently in the portal.

https://d1baseball.com/player/4wgFCc5L/dominic-stagliano/

Here's a MIF we've been rumored to have reached out to

https://d1baseball.com/player/kpuub28k/

Both good, proven D1 players. A 2nd-Baseman is needed and this is a great freshman arm.

Saltydog
06-09-2022, 01:36 PM
We need this guy.........Chrisitian Little from Vanderbilt.........Call him NOW........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-vanderbilt-baseball-pitcher-christian-153315099.html

USCe starting catcher, Colin Burgess, in the portal. Pretty paltry numbers offensively but he's really good defensively.

AlSwearengen
06-09-2022, 05:54 PM
We need this guy.........Chrisitian Little from Vanderbilt.........Call him NOW........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-vanderbilt-baseball-pitcher-christian-153315099.html

USCe starting catcher, Colin Burgess, in the portal. Pretty paltry numbers offensively but he's really good defensively.

Watch Little end up at Tennessee.

KOdawg1
06-09-2022, 08:49 PM
My way too early wish list/2023 lineup:

Just thinking out loud here. This likely won't be our lineup, so don't freak out grandpas.

1. Guy Lipscomb - CF; .406/4 HR/42 RBI/1.032 OPS
2. Ethan Groff - RF/DH; .404/9 HR/35 RBI/1.212 OPS
3. Hunter Hines - 1B; .300/16 HR/52 RBI/.993 OPS
4. Luke Hancock/(or portal C) - C; .279/7 HR/32 RBI/.825
5. Colton Ledbetter - LF; .318/16 HR/57 RBI/1.047 OPS
6. Jack Pineda/(transfer) - 2B; .300/7 HR/ 33 RBI/.893 OPS
7. Kellum Clark - RF/DH; .257/14 HR/43 RBI/.925 OPS
8. Slate Alford/Aaron Downs - 3B; .209/1/3. .206/0/2
9. Lane Forsythe - SS; .273/0 HR/12 RBI/.677

Lots of big ifs here. I mean, Lipscomb isn't even in the portal yet. Hancock might not come back. Groff and Pineda haven't committed yet. But if we could pull something like this off, I'd be pretty excited.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2022, 09:26 PM

Would be massive to sign Little. Have Dakota Hudson visit his parents in St Louis.

If he's fit and Ready, he's Friday in Starkville. With Cade as a tandem, MSU has premier starting firepower

We don't need a Mendoza catcher

Todd4State
06-10-2022, 01:59 AM
My way too early wish list/2023 lineup:

Just thinking out loud here. This likely won't be our lineup, so don't freak out grandpas.

1. Guy Lipscomb - CF; .406/4 HR/42 RBI/1.032 OPS
2. Ethan Groff - RF/DH; .404/9 HR/35 RBI/1.212 OPS
3. Hunter Hines - 1B; .300/16 HR/52 RBI/.993 OPS
4. Luke Hancock/(or portal C) - C; .279/7 HR/32 RBI/.825
5. Colton Ledbetter - LF; .318/16 HR/57 RBI/1.047 OPS
6. Jack Pineda/(transfer) - 2B; .300/7 HR/ 33 RBI/.893 OPS
7. Kellum Clark - RF/DH; .257/14 HR/43 RBI/.925 OPS
8. Slate Alford/Aaron Downs - 3B; .209/1/3. .206/0/2
9. Lane Forsythe - SS; .273/0 HR/12 RBI/.677

Lots of big ifs here. I mean, Lipscomb isn't even in the portal yet. Hancock might not come back. Groff and Pineda haven't committed yet. But if we could pull something like this off, I'd be pretty excited.

That is a good lineup. But how we do with pitching in the portal is ultimately going to make or break us. Gartman is a good start to go along with Cade and Pico. But we need a LOT more.

KOdawg1
06-10-2022, 08:18 AM
That is a good lineup. But how we do with pitching in the portal is ultimately going to make or break us. Gartman is a good start to go along with Cade and Pico. But we need a LOT more.

Need to throw every bit of NIL money we can at Paul Skenes from Air Force.

10-3 record, 2.73 ERA, 96 Ks, 30 BBs in 86 IP. OBA of .224.

Also hit .314/13 HRs/38 RBI/1.046.. Hit over .400 as a freshman last year.

He's a weekend starter and your DH next year if you can get him. Right handed power bat which we need. He also catches.

Throw the bank at him.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 08:38 AM
Need to throw every bit of NIL money we can at Paul Skenes from Air Force.

10-3 record, 2.73 ERA, 96 Ks, 30 BBs in 86 IP. OBA of .224.

Also hit .314/13 HRs/38 RBI/1.046.. Hit over .400 as a freshman last year.

He's a weekend starter and your DH next year if you can get him. Right handed power bat which we need. He also catches.

Throw the bank at him.

Little, Cade, and Skenes as starting pitchers could make MSU an instant national contender again

Skenes is a potential top-3 overall MLB draft pick in 2023. 6-6 and 235 lbs. He is also a starting Catcher for Air Force.

StarkVegasSteve
06-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Tennessee just picked up the Kansas SS. We need to throw everything we got at Skenes. We also need to close on Groff and a least two other pitchers. Probably would not hurt to also find another infielder. Preferably 2B or 3B.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Thatcher Hurd of UCLA to the Portal. Elite Recruit with an non-arm related injury. Pre-Injury, he was awesome. Not many California dudes think about the Southeast however, Mississippi is like Azerbaijan, Alabama is Dagestan, and Arkansas is Chechnya to guys from Orange County.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/baseball/roster/thatcher-hurd/11035

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Jackson Smeltz of Purdue to the Portal. Three big things for MSU.

(1) He is an Agriscience major. This is already 75% an MSU guy.
(2) LHP
(3) Staff Ace for Purdue, go look at his pretty stats.

He's a Red Shirt Junior, maybe gets drafted anyway. Purdue is just Mississippi State on the Wabash.

https://purduesports.com/sports/baseball/roster/jackson-smeltz/11023

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 10:21 AM
Isaiah Thomas OF from Vanderbilt to the Portal

The best hitter on their team from 2021. The national runner-up team, they would have been champs but ran into a Hot Buzzsaw team.

303 hitter with 13 hr in 2021. I guess was injured last year.

Maybe best friends with Christian Little, we should offer both ASAP.

https://vucommodores.com/roster/isaiah-thomas/

raymonddawg
06-10-2022, 10:33 AM
New commit: Nate Dohm - Ball State Transfer. Looks like he threw 41 innings as a freshman with a 5.71 ERA. 56 Ks 26 BBs

KOdawg1
06-10-2022, 10:39 AM
New commit: Nate Dohm - Ball State Transfer. Looks like he threw 41 innings as a freshman with a 5.71 ERA. 56 Ks 26 BBs

Kid has good stuff, just hasn't put it all together yet.

StarkVegasSteve
06-10-2022, 10:45 AM
Kid has good stuff, just hasn't put it all together yet.

This type of statement concerns me a bit. We had 4 of those types of guys on our team this year and none of them put it together. We also had Cerrantola who never put it together.

FISHDAWG
06-10-2022, 10:52 AM
This type of statement concerns me a bit. We had 4 of those types of guys on our team this year and none of them put it together. We also had Cerrantola who never put it together.

well the good news is he shouldn't draw down our NIL account very much** .... humor aside - he was a Freshman so I'm on board with taking a look.... I also am not one to say Foxhall is incompetent - anyone in any career can have an off year

KOdawg1
06-10-2022, 11:18 AM

Yeah, until I see Foxhall develop one, I'll be a little skeptical

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2022, 11:26 AM

Those stats are still better than 80% of our pen

Cowbell
06-10-2022, 12:34 PM
I got to say this portal season is more entertaining than our baseball season was

Cooterpoot
06-10-2022, 12:34 PM

This is who I was talking about earlier this week.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2022, 12:36 PM
And just to stir things up a little, get ready for some action next week.

��������

Homedawg
06-10-2022, 12:57 PM
Isaiah Thomas OF from Vanderbilt to the Portal

The best hitter on their team from 2021. The national runner-up team, they would have been champs but ran into a Hot Buzzsaw team.

303 hitter with 13 hr in 2021. I guess was injured last year.

Maybe best friends with Christian Little, we should offer both ASAP.

https://vucommodores.com/roster/isaiah-thomas/

A big fat no on Thomas. He quit. He wasn't on the team this year.

662dawg
06-10-2022, 01:09 PM

Do you like this pick up?

TNDawg35
06-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Creightons ace just entered the portal along with Dylan Young from Vandy. GO GET THE PITCHER NOW!! Dude had some dang good numbers last year and could walk in and be a legit ace for us or a #2 behind Cade.

We really REALLY need that frontline guy.

Kinda odd Young entered. Dude was legit year before last then really struggled last year. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good and help him hit his stride. Not really as worried about position players as much as pitching, but take and process later…

Saltydog
06-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Would be massive to sign Little. Have Dakota Hudson visit his parents in St Louis.

If he's fit and Ready, he's Friday in Starkville. With Cade as a tandem, MSU has premier starting firepower

We don't need a Mendoza catcher

Right now, he'd be better than anyone we have, short of Luke coming back which may or may not happen. Don't need to wait too late and be left holding the bag.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 01:35 PM
Creightons ace just entered the portal along with Dylan Young from Vandy. GO GET THE PITCHER NOW!! Dude had some dang good numbers last year and could walk in and be a legit ace for us or a #2 behind Cade.

We really REALLY need that frontline guy.

Kinda odd Young entered. Dude was legit year before last then really struggled last year. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good and help him hit his stride. Not really as worried about position players as much as pitching, but take and process later…

Just FIFY it is "Carter" Young from Vandy.

Seems like Vandy is shedding players, big time.

That's why I still like Isaiah Thomas. He does not seem like a lone Landon Jordan, it's is many marquee players leaving.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 01:37 PM
This reliever from Nebraska is portalling out. Great stats, so he does not need Foxhall to "fix" him or "get it figured out".

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/huskers.com/images/2021/4/10/Baseball_vs_Maryland_G2_SB_4015.jpg

https://huskers.com/sports/baseball/roster/braxton-bragg/43506

CadaverDawg
06-10-2022, 01:41 PM
Not 100% sure why we must be vague about guys we may get. Is seeing their name on EliteDawgs going to make them choose someone else? Oh well, I'm enjoying this...hope we can land a ton of talent

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 01:42 PM

Man, if we end up smoked in the Portal game by Vitello, Bianco, Schloss, and Van Horne, I am going to ? kick a lot of rocks.

There are many Rocks to kick out here in the mountains of Colorado.

I survived Polk II and the early 2010's. I can wait out another disaster.

I also digitally recorded the entire 2021 post season, I can manage for a while.

TNDawg35
06-10-2022, 01:48 PM
Just FIFY it is "Carter" Young from Vandy.

Seems like Vandy is shedding players, big time.

That's why I still like Isaiah Thomas. He does not seem like a lone Landon Jordan, it's is many marquee players leaving.

I don’t know where the hell I got Dylan from… thanks!

TNDawg35
06-10-2022, 01:49 PM
Not 100% sure why we must be vague about guys we may get. Is seeing their name on EliteDawgs going to make them choose someone else? Oh well, I'm enjoying this...hope we can land a ton of talent

Exactly!! Make a damn list about who we are on and who we are not. Who gives a shit. It’s the damn web…

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2022, 01:56 PM
FSU just fired MM Jr - look for some of those guys to jump in now

CadaverDawg
06-10-2022, 01:58 PM

Not sure why they canned him. He's doing exactly what his Dad did for 100 years there....underachieving.

Cowbell
06-10-2022, 02:13 PM

Tommy Tanks come on down!

Saltydog
06-10-2022, 02:16 PM

Something going on at Vandy.......
https://www.yahoo.com/news/vanderbilt-baseball-shortstop-carter-young-173728576.html

basedog
06-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Something going on at Vandy.......
https://www.yahoo.com/news/vanderbilt-baseball-shortstop-carter-young-173728576.html

Well for one thing, he had an awful year with a .207 batting average. He got benched because he wasn't producing, kid needs a change. Portal and NIL has kicked college sports in the n*ts! Just wait like I said in another thread when Mr Alumni buys a player and he gets benched for whatever reason, does the Coach have leverage over Mr Alumni?

TNDawg35
06-10-2022, 02:54 PM
At what point does Gotro start getting calls from people like FSU and Clemson? I mean he is an elite coach at an elite school like State. At what point does a team reach out to him instead of going the lower head coach rank?

To me, either of those could take whoever they wanted, but with football being the main sport at each school, how
Much money are they willing to invest in baseball?

Rawdawg
06-10-2022, 04:19 PM
We flew to Colorado Springs today and have offered the pitcher from ucla that entered yesterday everything under the sun.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2022, 04:25 PM
Do you like this pick up?

I think so. It's been in the works, so we wanted him.
We're still on some good pitchers and players. We need a lot on the pitching side.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2022, 04:34 PM
We flew to Colorado Springs today and have offered the pitcher from ucla that entered yesterday everything under the sun.

I like this post

WSOPdawg
06-10-2022, 04:45 PM

I like this post

Agree, Cadaver. I just hope it's legit. B/c we unfortunately need more than 2-3 more SEC-quality arms.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 05:48 PM

Bam!

Let's get this this done - these pitchers are potential game changers for next season.

mparkerfd20
06-10-2022, 07:04 PM
Our luck we'll get him and he'll keep having nagging injuries with that neck issue and then require surgery.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Our luck we'll get him and he'll keep having nagging injuries with that neck issue and then require surgery.

Our baseball luck is good my man. This is not basketball or women's volleyball.

Coach34
06-10-2022, 09:42 PM
At what point does Gotro start getting calls from people like FSU and Clemson?l?

I can?t see Fla State making a moveunless they felt like Jarrett at ND would take their job. It?s his alma mater. They will pay his ass.

Maybe Clemson would take a chance on a hitting coach with no HC?ing experience. Maybe they won?t. I still think GoTro to take a smaller head job before a bigger school pulls the trigger on him

maroonmania
06-10-2022, 10:25 PM
Yeah, until I see Foxhall develop one, I'll be a little skeptical

Yes, we need pitchers from the portal that are plug and play. Foxhall is not likely going to 'fix' anyone no matter what raw talent they might possess.

Santiago
06-10-2022, 10:32 PM
I can?t see Fla State making a moveunless they felt like Jarrett at ND would take their job. It?s his alma mater. They will pay his ass.

Maybe Clemson would take a chance on a hitting coach with no HC?ing experience. Maybe they won?t. I still think GoTro to take a smaller head job before a bigger school pulls the trigger on him

I get Jarrett taking FSU job, but wonder what if.....he makes it to CWS and wins it with ND.

Saltydog
06-11-2022, 09:04 AM

Who knows, he could come in and end up being a 1st rounder but I'd rather have guys that have had proven success. This sounds more like we're "settling". Course, he was just a frosh too so who knows.

Cowbell
06-11-2022, 09:08 AM
Who knows, he could come in and end up being a 1st rounder but I'd rather have guys that have had proven success. This sounds more like we're "settling". Course, he was just a frosh too so who knows.

Any freshman that averages over a strikeout per inning is worth a look

Saltydog
06-11-2022, 09:18 AM

A look I agree with. As for bringing him on, well we don't need anymore projects. We need proven guys that are SEC ready. Looks like the type of guy you slow play then circle back too if necessary, especially now that bigger names are starting to come to the forefront.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2022, 09:36 AM

Stinnett averages more than a K per inning, Tullar too, KC Hint also

If hitters are batting 270 against at Ball State, SEC won't be lower. A 5.71 ERA at BSU, i bet Jack Walker would be all conference up there.

If you are bringing in 30 guys and letting them try out in the Fall, that's cool. But I am looking for Guys that were stars at smaller colleges like Yeager at Mercer.

mparkerfd20
06-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Our baseball luck is good my man. This is not basketball or women's volleyball.
Landon Simms and Simmons say hi 👋

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2022, 10:23 AM
Landon Simms and Simmons say hi ��

National Championship in 2021 say Hi

Dozens of 1st round picks and dozens of All Americans say Hi

13 trips to Omaha say Hi

Cowbell
06-11-2022, 10:38 AM

If hitters are batting 270 against at Ball State, SEC won't be lower. A 5.71 ERA at BSU, i bet Jack Walker would be all conference up there.

If you are bringing in 30 guys and letting them try out in the Fall, that's cool. But I am looking for Guys that were stars at smaller colleges like Yeager at Mercer.

I said "is worth a look" not "is worth a scolly"

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2022, 12:53 PM
I said "is worth a look" not "is worth a scolly"

Yes, agreed. Could be the kid made a 5 mph leap from HS to College and MSU is on him first.

Unrelated to this prospect in particular, one thing I miss about Butch's pitching staffs is getting people out with something other than Ks. Would love to have a Chuck Holly or Kendall Gravemen in the mix

Cooterpoot
06-11-2022, 01:27 PM

Stinnett, Tullar, & Hunt weren't FR this year. Dohm had a 13 K game this year. Was used as a starter, closer, and middle relief. We've been on him a long time, so we like him. I'll take him and if he doesn't improve next season he's in the portal. We've got a lot of money and spots open. Kids are going to bounce around with the portal.

Hambone
06-11-2022, 01:46 PM
I'll take him and if he doesn't improve next season he's in the portal. We've got a lot of money and spots open. Kids are going to bounce around with the portal.

They may bounce around, but they only get the 1 transfer immediate playing rule.

PGHBulldogBG
06-11-2022, 01:50 PM
Link Jarrett would be an A+ hire for any team. I would hire him over Vitello.

Cowbell
06-11-2022, 02:07 PM
Link Jarrett would be an A+ hire for any team. I would hire him over Vitello.

Same here!

Cowbell
06-11-2022, 02:08 PM
Yes, agreed. Could be the kid made a 5 mph leap from HS to College and MSU is on him first.

Unrelated to this prospect in particular, one thing I miss about Butch's pitching staffs is getting people out with something other than Ks. Would love to have a Chuck Holly or Kendall Gravemen in the mix

Agree on this. We need some guys that can eat up innings without running up their pitch counts

Todd4State
06-11-2022, 02:16 PM

He's at 97-99 and his stats were much better when he started games. He also has two more years of eligibility. I imagine a deeper look into his stats would reveal some answers.

He has the ingredients to be a "where did this guy come from"? Type player that does really well with us.

Todd4State
06-11-2022, 02:17 PM
If we land Hurd and Skeene we have a chance to be back in Omaha again next year.

Travelingdawg
06-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Ok guys I know we visited some in the portal yesterday, what's y'all hearing?

Santiago
06-11-2022, 02:33 PM
Where did the Kansas shortstop end up transferring to? Arkansas or TN ?

AlSwearengen
06-11-2022, 03:57 PM
Where did the Kansas shortstop end up transferring to? Arkansas or TN ?

TN

TNDawg35
06-11-2022, 04:28 PM
TN

Isn’t he suppose to be a 1st rounder this year in the draft? I heard TN had to pay out the ass for him.

TNDawg35
06-11-2022, 06:23 PM
The Creighton ace just committed to LSU.

Homedawg
06-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Isn’t he suppose to be a 1st rounder this year in the draft? I heard TN had to pay out the ass for him.

He was a fr So no to the draft. I'm sure the latter is correct

Todd4State
06-11-2022, 07:22 PM
The Creighton ace just committed to LSU.

May be good news for us as far as Hurd goes.

CaptainObvious
06-11-2022, 11:18 PM
So North Greenville University in Greenville, South Carolina win the DII National Championship. Do they have any underclassmen considering transferring that we might be looking at?

ImissCityBagel
06-11-2022, 11:35 PM
Copied from a rantard:

Jim Schlossnagel-
Took over as head coach at Texas A&M 1 year and 2 days ago.

Within 2 months of being hired, overhauls roster:
-11 guys out: 7 transferred, 4 no longer on team
-14 guys added via portal, including Moss, Rock, Kaler, Palisch, Claunch and Dallas.

Picked to finish 6th of 7 in SEC West

Wins SEC West

Wins regional 3-0

Wins super regional 2-0

Advances to College World Series

--------------------------------

Lemonis won a natty so I won't complain, but it looks like all of the other teams are out recruiting us.

WinningIsRelentless
06-12-2022, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=ImissCityBagel;1434232]Copied from a rantard:

Jim Schlossnagel-

-14 guys added via portal, including Moss, Rock, Kaler, Palisch, Claunch and Dallas.

Wins SEC West

Wins regional 3-0

Wins super regional 2-0

Lemonis won a natty so I won't complain, but it looks like all of the other teams are out recruiting us.[/QUOTE

We had our back against the wall last year with the national championship run. Look at us and vandy this year. We played till June 30 and signing period opened 7/1 for transfers.

ImissCityBagel
06-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Yeah that's true...it sucks that winning a natty had the inverse effect on our recruiting

WinningIsRelentless
06-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Yeah that's true...it sucks that winning a natty had the inverse effect on our recruiting

It?s a one year issue with transfers because of the timing of the ncaa ruling.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2022, 10:56 AM
Copied from a rantard:

Jim Schlossnagel-

Wins SEC West

Wins regional 3-0

Wins super regional 2-0

Lemonis won a natty so I won't complain, but it looks like all of the other teams are out recruiting us.

We played all the way through the season to the last game last year. We had more important things going on than wearing out the portal. We're hitting it hard this year.

Cowbell
06-12-2022, 02:50 PM
We played all the way through the season to the last game last year. We had more important things going on than wearing out the portal. We're hitting it hard this year.

This is right - and I will gladly take the trade-off every time

Commercecomet24
06-12-2022, 02:55 PM

Yep.

Coach34
06-12-2022, 03:31 PM

Thats a copout. We played a week longer than Tenn did. We recruit constantly in season.

WSOPdawg
06-12-2022, 03:49 PM
Thats a copout. We played a week longer than Tenn did. We SHOULD recruit constantly in season.

Fixed it for you.

KOdawg1
06-12-2022, 03:50 PM
We need to tamper for Tanner Hall

Cooterpoot
06-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Thats a copout. We played a week longer than Tenn did. We recruit constantly in season.

Go look when TN got transfers. Hell, we brought in some ourselves. One a damn all American that put up similar numbers to our best player last year. Now Foxhall, his ass is worthless IMO. But I said that last year while everybody defended him. This year, we've flipped the roster and cut loose recruits to better fill needs. Hard to complain about that.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2022, 04:32 PM
I find it funny too that our fans rip on a FR pitcher we bring in who has numbers not much worse than Dollander last year when they brought him in.

State82
06-12-2022, 04:34 PM

Yep. If you can't multitask with the other elite recruiters then find something else to do.

Especially at 1.2 mil a year.

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2022, 04:47 PM
A big fat no on Thomas. He quit. He wasn't on the team this year.

Hmm, Just read about him, sounds like the modern mental kids companies have in HR nowadays. Hard Pass.

Hambone
06-12-2022, 04:58 PM
Yep. If you can't multitask with the other elite recruiters then find something else to do.

I’d rather my coach put all his focus on winning a national championship, when given the opportunity.

Todd4State
06-12-2022, 06:08 PM
Go look when TN got transfers. Hell, we brought in some ourselves. One a damn all American that put up similar numbers to our best player last year. Now Foxhall, his ass is worthless IMO. But I said that last year while everybody defended him. This year, we've flipped the roster and cut loose recruits to better fill needs. Hard to complain about that.

All the time I hear about Lenonis and Gautreau recruiting but never about Foxhall.

Homedawg
06-12-2022, 07:38 PM
All the time I hear about Lenonis and Gautreau recruiting but never about Foxhall.

They all go on the road. Even cheese from time to time....

Cowbell
06-12-2022, 07:59 PM
How much money did you lose betting Tennessee would win at all?

Cowbell
06-12-2022, 08:01 PM

I love hearing our fans talk trash to the coach who finally won us a national title within 12 months of him doing that

Commercecomet24
06-12-2022, 08:02 PM

This and from what I understand Cheese is pretty popular with recruits.

Cowbell
06-12-2022, 08:48 PM
This and from what I understand Cheese is pretty popular with recruits.

There is absolutely no way a coach named cheese is not popular with recruits?

DownwardDawg
06-12-2022, 09:24 PM
I love hearing our fans talk trash to the coach who finally won us a national title within 12 months of him doing that

Yeah. We've had some extremely talented teams in the past, but have never had a coach who could win a Natty. It was fun watching that team get better as the season progressed. Lemonis has coached 3 full seasons. 2 CWS appearances with a National Championship. Not bad. He has to rebound from this year pretty quick though.

Todd4State
06-12-2022, 09:39 PM

That's what I hoped (figured) was happening. But it's weird that I only hear about people seeing Lemonis and Gautreau.

Todd4State
06-12-2022, 09:47 PM
Yeah. We've had some extremely talented teams in the past, but have never had a coach who could win a Natty. It was fun watching that team get better as the season progressed. Lemonis has coached 3 full seasons. 2 CWS appearances with a National Championship. Not bad. He has to rebound from this year pretty quick though.

Lemonis is still new to MSU to a degree and I think he has to figure out our "forumula" for winning. Which is pitching, defense, and power blended with speed from aggressive hard working players who get on base. That's our identity. Last year we were a pull heavy 3 run home run team with a depleted by injury pitching staff.

People used to criticize Cohen as a coach but he knew what worked here. He brought back the toughness first and then once we started to have success we started to get the blue chips guys and ultimately had the best run in school history.

Dawgology
06-13-2022, 07:55 AM
Only at State could a team win a National Championship and require a complete program rebuild a year later. SMH. Our athletics program is a joke.

Todd4State
06-13-2022, 08:09 AM
Only at State could a team win a National Championship and require a complete program rebuild a year later. SMH. Our athletics program is a joke.

Our baseball program needs to learn how to be champions. By that I mean learn how to win where we are built for long term annual success and not one special year. Hopefully we've done that.

At least we aren't USM talking about how special it was to host a Super Regional.

Coach34
06-13-2022, 10:47 AM
How much money did you lose betting Tennessee would win at all?

Not as much as I spent on those Royal Reds Saturday night

maroonmania
06-13-2022, 11:02 AM

Well we did make the CWS three times in a row so it was certainly not unexpected to take a step back. Just tough thing to keep at that level every year. But we all recognize that it was unacceptable to drop back to an overall losing record. Injuries were a significant factor but the biggest thing is that our pitching staff, even with the guys that stayed healthy, just underperformed and were obviously underdeveloped. Cade Smith may be the only guy on the staff that you can say was better than the year before.

Dawgology
06-13-2022, 11:35 AM
Well we did make the CWS three times in a row so it was certainly not unexpected to take a step back. Just tough thing to keep at that level every year. But we all recognize that it was unacceptable to drop back to an overall losing record. Injuries were a significant factor but the biggest thing is that our pitching staff, even with the guys that stayed healthy, just underperformed and were obviously underdeveloped. Cade Smith may be the only guy on the staff that you can say was better than the year before.

We didn’t just step back. We tripped and fell of a cliff.

TNDawg35
06-15-2022, 03:59 PM
So anyone heard anything? I know about the Samford kid and the one pitcher we picked up from ball state

anything else coming? Hell A&M and and TN were still playing and getting kids…

What about the kids from Tulane? The AF guy? The Vandy guy? I mean what is everyone hearing!

Todd4State
06-15-2022, 04:20 PM
So anyone heard anything? I know about the Samford kid and the one pitcher we picked up from ball state

anything else coming? Hell A&M and and TN were still playing and getting kids…

What about the kids from Tulane? The AF guy? The Vandy guy? I mean what is everyone hearing!

Trying to get Skeene to visit. A lot of the other like Groff we're fine but he's evaluating how things look in the draft.

I think we will see a flurry of commits around draft time in about a month.

Quaoarsking
06-15-2022, 04:44 PM

Apparently not, as it's happened to several other schools in the last decade or 2

Homedawg
06-15-2022, 05:23 PM
I'm like everyone here and disappointed in our season. However I'd sign up for 4 trips to omaha w a runner up and a ship every ten years w one missed tourney. And we had 2 in the decade.

KOdawg1
06-15-2022, 06:05 PM
I'm like everyone here and disappointed in our season. However I'd sign up for 4 trips to omaha w a runner up and a ship every ten years w one missed tourney. And we had 2 in the decade.

Don't forget an SEC tournament championship in 2012, an SEC regular season championship in 2016 and five straight super regional appearances from 2016 until last year.

We've been spoiled in the last 10 years.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2022, 06:31 PM

Yes very well said.

Todd4State
06-15-2022, 07:56 PM

2011-2021 was the best 10 year run our program has ever had.

2016-2021 was the best 5 year run our program has ever had.

Growing up as a MSU fan in the 80's-90's that run was a dream come true for me. Always knew we had the potential. Actually we have the potential to do more and I think we will.

Coach34
06-15-2022, 08:01 PM
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1537188597547290625?s=20&t=ijehIdesytGECSZdDYu-LQ

This isnt good news for recruiting

trob115
06-15-2022, 08:25 PM
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1537188597547290625?s=20&t=ijehIdesytGECSZdDYu-LQ

Wasn't expected to make it to campus anyway.

KOdawg1
06-15-2022, 08:55 PM
Wasn't expected to make it to campus anyway.
There was actually talk lately that he might. He had fallen down the boards a little bit

Commercecomet24
06-15-2022, 09:32 PM
He was always 50/50 at best.

Ezsoil
06-15-2022, 09:54 PM
I just keep hearing " we need to be after so and so" ...but without an Organized NIL program we are going to miss on almost everyone ...

Cooterpoot
06-15-2022, 10:03 PM
I just keep hearing " we need to be after so and so" ...but without an Organized NIL program we are going to miss on almost everyone ...

No we aren't. Not in baseball anyway.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2022, 11:09 PM

From MLB.com

"Cijntje worked with a 94-96 mph fastball and a 79-80 mph breaking ball with 2600 rpm from the right side, and an 88-92 mph heater and a 75-76 mph breaker with 2400 rpm from the left. "

"Whether Cijntje turns pro this summer or heads to Mississippi State remains to be seen. He’s small for a pitcher at 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, and clubs believe his talent presently fits in the sixth- to 10th-round range, which may not be high enough to divert him from the Bulldogs."

https://www.mlb.com/news/switch-pitcher-jurrangelo-cijntje-impresses-at-draft-combine

Cowbell
06-15-2022, 11:15 PM

Hang on a minute here... are you admitting that we must have evaluated this kid correctly?

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2022, 11:43 PM
Colby Holcombe - JC Transfer for MSU- RHP

Now #132 in MLB-200

"Often compared physically to Noah Syndergaard, who was more advanced at the same stage, Holcombe easily could add another 20 pounds to his 6-foot-7 frame. His biggest backers believe he can thrive as a starter once he adds some strength and does a better job of maintaining his stuff and throwing strikes. Others envision him as a late-inning reliever with an upper-90s fastball and a wipeout slider. "

TNDawg35
06-16-2022, 03:31 AM
Colby Holcombe - JC Transfer for MSU- RHP

Now #132 in MLB-200

"Often compared physically to Noah Syndergaard, who was more advanced at the same stage, Holcombe easily could add another 20 pounds to his 6-foot-7 frame. His biggest backers believe he can thrive as a starter once he adds some strength and does a better job of maintaining his stuff and throwing strikes. Others envision him as a late-inning reliever with an upper-90s fastball and a wipeout slider. "

Sounds like he could be a dang good closer…

Also, did anyone see where KC Hunt had an excellent start the other night. 6IP, 3 hits, 0ER, 8Ks, 1BB

KOdawg1
06-16-2022, 02:27 PM
Paul Skenes is on campus today.

This is what we hired you for Lemonis. Seal the deal

tcdog70
06-16-2022, 02:29 PM

isn't he the same Coach that led us to last place this year?

Commercecomet24
06-16-2022, 03:13 PM

Would be an excellent pickup. Dude can pitch it and hit it.

confucius say
06-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Would be an excellent pickup. Dude can pitch it and hit it.

He's also majoring in "military strategic studies" which seems pretty awesome!

Hobby is fishing so that bodes well.

In addition to really good pitching numbers:
.314 with 13 HR and 10 doubles in 2022.
.410 with 11 HR and 21 doubles in 2021.
Can catch if need be.

Commercecomet24
06-16-2022, 03:49 PM

Can catch if need be.

Yeah this guy really does qualify as "utility player". Excellent pitcher and he can hit for average and power and catch if needed. I like his major and hobby as well!

State82
06-16-2022, 04:11 PM

Time to get a marine dealership on board and get him the use of bass boat. And a truck to pull it.

Hambone
06-16-2022, 05:53 PM
isn't he the same Coach that led us to last place this year?

We get it, you don?t like Lemonis. But good lord it?s getting old.

DownwardDawg
06-16-2022, 06:20 PM
Time to get a marine dealership on board and get him the use of bass boat. And a truck to pull it.

And a yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets ������

The Federalist Engineer
06-16-2022, 08:06 PM

Man, we the Men of Elite Dawgs need this to happen. What a massive addition, if he joins the Maroon. So good, it would get MSU additional transfer stars for another National Championship run

Goldendawg
06-16-2022, 08:18 PM
And a yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets ������

No silver bullets! Haven't you read? Coors light and Keystone pulled off shelves, jellied in can, have to make do with Natty or PBR, while we raise more NIL $!** Hail State!

somebodyshotmypaw
06-16-2022, 08:51 PM

Where is Doc Foglesong when you need him?

DownwardDawg
06-16-2022, 09:06 PM
No silver bullets! Haven't you read? Coors light and Keystone pulled off shelves, jellied in can, have to make do with Natty or PBR, while we raise more NIL $!** Hail State!

Lol. I was going with the song, Buy Me a Boat!!!

Todd4State
06-17-2022, 11:55 PM
Man, we the Men of Elite Dawgs need this to happen. What a massive addition, if he joins the Maroon. So good, it would get MSU additional transfer stars for another National Championship run

I suppose we could donate to the Bulldog Initiative as a board.

Or donate individually.

Mjoelner34
06-18-2022, 09:17 AM
I suppose we could donate to the Bulldog Initiative as a board.

Or donate individually.

Can you earmark your donation for a specific sport with the Bulldog Initiative?

Todd4State
06-18-2022, 09:46 AM
Can you earmark your donation for a specific sport with the Bulldog Initiative?

Yes you can

KOdawg1
06-18-2022, 10:44 AM

We need a link to the bulldog initiative stickied to the top of the board.

Charlie has a good thing going with it.

The Federalist Engineer
06-18-2022, 12:31 PM
We need a link to the bulldog initiative stickied to the top of the board.

Charlie has a good thing going with it.

Website is under construction- seems like good thing. Especially the ear marks. 100% baseball

ScoobaDawg
06-20-2022, 11:06 AM
Whats the latest here.. especially Skenes?

Saltydog
06-20-2022, 11:45 AM

Can catch if need be.

He and Leech could have some interesting conversations.

KOdawg1
06-20-2022, 01:35 PM
Whats the latest here.. especially Skenes?

He's supposedly taking more visits, but we're in a good spot.

Who knows

TNDawg35
06-20-2022, 02:18 PM
What about the Stetson pitcher that Steve Robertson alluded to between all his bullshit on his podcast?

Pancho
06-20-2022, 02:40 PM
I think Lemo wants him but kinda gotta wait and see how the draft goes but the fall will be a helluva competition for several spots.

Todd4State
06-21-2022, 01:15 AM
I think Lemo wants him but kinda gotta wait and see how the draft goes but the fall will be a helluva competition for several spots.

I think we may see a lot of things kind of pick up around the draft. A lot of these guys have COVID year options so they have extra leverage in a lot of cases. So, not sure that this will be normal.

For example the three guys we picked up 2 are sophomores or younger and the other is a guy who has a COVID year option but grew up a MSU fan.

The draft is going to make things pretty crazy for us because we will finally know more about our returning guys, our incoming freshmen, and our portal targets.

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 07:57 AM
While other schools are grabbing up top portal guys already. We're going to wait on the draft? We missed on one last week and failed to get another committed. We better nail down some good arms fast.

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2022, 08:58 AM
While other schools are grabbing up top portal guys already. We're going to wait on the draft? We missed on one last week and failed to get another committed. We better nail down some good arms fast.

Dallas Baptist just rang the bell on a top LHP from Nebraska. LSU got Alex Pineda from Baylor. LSU also got the Creighton kid, but they know he is draft interested.

It's do or die for the Lemonis administration in 2023, so I am 100% sure there is nothing low-energy about the MSU approach. If the team is not significantly better staffed with pitchers, they will lose a huge number of SEC games again. I am not saying he will be fired with another 20 loss season in 2023, but it would melt-down competitive recruiting standing to OM, LSU, Arkansas, and maybe Butch. Turning ED into sad Omaha lurkers for 10 years.

LSU Quotes:

* “The draft being late is horrendous for us as coaches,” Johnson said. “But we have to adapt. You turn on the combine on MLB Network and there’s an LSU recruit running a 60 or talking on set. We’ll see what happens but we made strong pitches to those guys on why this [college] is the right way. I think the thing that changes it all is money and some of those guys are gonna get a lot of money and not gonna be here.”

* Johnson believes there are four players from this 2022 freshmen class who will never step foot on campus because of the financial implications and seasons they are coming off of.

* “It is what it is and I’m not going to let any one player hold our program hostage,” Johnson said. “We’re gonna be ok. It’s a complicated issue I spend every day working on. We have a different avenue where we can overcome some of those losses.

* “It kind of gives you a thought that maybe you wanna build your team one year at a time which is not the way I believed in it. But right now it’s a talent grab and part of what you have to do to be at the top.”

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Yep, we're dragging ass and making excuses. I'm starting to question a lot of things going on with this staff. We desperately need arms. And honestly, we need proven arms. FR aren't coming in and fixing everything. Our Juco guy throws hard, but he's a lot like the guys Foxhall brings in with some control issues. It looks like we're content to build a team in a couple years instead of now.

Saltydog
06-21-2022, 09:58 AM
Yep, we're dragging ass and making excuses. I'm starting to question a lot of things going on with this staff. We desperately need arms. And honestly, we need proven arms. FR aren't coming in and fixing everything. Our Juco guy throws hard, but he's a lot like the guys Foxhall brings in with some control issues. It looks like we're content to build a team in a couple years instead of now.

I'm with ya on this one Cooter. We seem to be either getting passed up by some or we have our eyes on others. If the latter is true you can be left holding the bag and that's what scares me. Hopefully we don't have to settle for what we're getting but as more time goes by that's my concern.

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2022, 10:19 AM
I'm with ya on this one Cooter. We seem to be either getting passed up by some or we have our eyes on others. If the latter is true you can be left holding the bag and that's what scares me. Hopefully we don't have to settle for what we're getting but as more time goes by that's my concern.

I would say, this is unknowable to us, outside of the actual recruiting war room.

Even in business, you hire a girl from Dartmouth. She seems like a straight shooter and well put together. Then, after you get her verbal, she goes silent and you don't have a signed offer letter. You call, she all of a sudden has a boyfriend in law-school in Chicago. "He could live with her parents for a semester, but he is planning to live with her best friend who is a Norwegian girl that drinks too much."

She calls again, wants more money and to work remotely from Chicago.

Then the kid from Navy that you wanted originally, that told you that he wanted to join GE, now wants to talk again.

HR wants the Dartmouth girl, because she is a girl and they thought she had a Norwegian girlfriend in Chicago. They don't want to pass up on an elite diverse candidate, even as the Navy kid is available.

This whole transfer portal thing probably sucks for drama. There is an awesome interview with Dan McDonnell last year, he decided to keep his recruits that he knew better and cherry picked the Portal carefully. Seemed successful, then he got eliminated by Texas A&M that basically retooled in a single summer with a hiring haul of transfers.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2022, 11:12 AM

I saw Holcombe pitch a couple times this year and he actually showed pretty good command. He overthrows at times as a lot of young guys do that throw that hard, but what impressed me was how well he commanded his slider and he also has a fair changeup. I know a lot of people fall in love with the velo but his command of his slider impressed me and what will separate him from some other just velo guys.

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 11:32 AM
I would say, this is unknowable to us, outside of the actual recruiting war room.

Even in business, you hire a girl from Dartmouth. She seems like a straight shooter and well put together. Then, after you get her verbal, she goes silent and you don't have a signed offer letter. You call, she all of a sudden has a boyfriend in law-school in Chicago. "He could live with her parents for a semester, but he is planning to live with her best friend who is a Norwegian girl that drinks too much."

Then the kid from Navy that you wanted originally, that told you that he wanted to join GE, now wants to talk again.

HR wants the Dartmouth girl, because she is a girl and they thought she had a Norwegian girlfriend in Chicago. They don't want to pass up on an elite diverse candidate, even as the Navy kid is available.

This whole transfer portal thing probably sucks for drama. There is an awesome interview with Dan McDonnell last year, he decided to keep his recruits that he knew better and cherry picked the Portal carefully. Seemed successful, then he got eliminated by Texas A&M that basically retooled in a single summer with a hiring haul of transfers.

Never hire a girl from Dartmouth. Learned my lesson on that. Lol

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 11:33 AM
I saw Holcombe pitch a couple times this year and he actually showed pretty good command. He overthrows at times as a lot of young guys do that throw that hard, but what impressed me was how well he commanded his slider and he also has a fair changeup. I know a lot of people fall in love with the velo but his command of his slider impressed me and what will separate him from some other just velo guys.

I saw a couple games and he was solid but was inconsistent. Maybe was a off couple days. Assuming we don't try to change everything and just tweak, he will help us. He can go really high in the draft if he progresses.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2022, 11:44 AM
I saw a couple games and he was solid but was inconsistent. Maybe was a off couple days. Assuming we don't try to change everything and just tweak, he will help us. He can go really high in the draft if he progresses.

Yeah it's always hard to try to evaluate a guy on only seeing him a couple times. I've only seen him a couple of times too and heck I may be way off on him. He definitely has a high ceiling but we all know how that can crumble. Pitchers are harder to evaluate than offensive lineman and quarterbacks. MLB teams draft pitchers every year that are "can't miss" and never get out of the minors, so my evaluations are rudimentary at best. I believe you're right if we just let him alone and just tweak him a little he can be a huge help.

TNDawg35
06-21-2022, 12:39 PM

Can we get picks of the one who drinks too much???

StarkVegasSteve
06-21-2022, 04:22 PM
Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad. We need the chips to fall our way or we are going to be relying on freshman and guys who were inconsistent last year.

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 04:35 PM
If we don't sign some quality pitching, we need to sign a new pitching coach. Next season will be a train wreck if we don't. And folks won't survive another train wreck.

Travelingdawg
06-21-2022, 04:50 PM
Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad.

Inquiring minds want to know who they are.

StarkVegasSteve
06-21-2022, 05:17 PM
Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad.

Inquiring minds want to know who they are.

The big fish is Skenes. Dominic Stagliano from Stetson is another name as well as Zach Devito from Tulane. Matt Keating from USCw and Hunter Cranton at San Diego St are two more to keep an eye on.

As of now we are not pushing for Christian Little from Vandy

Cooterpoot
06-21-2022, 06:40 PM
Stetson kid is a draft risk. Skenes not committing is concerning. The rest are way behind those two IMO. But we need a ton of pitching help.

KOdawg1
06-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Zach Devito from Tulane is a good pitcher we're on.

But we need a weekend starter to pair with Cade, and right now, we don't have one. I'm not going to say Skenes is a must get bc there's a lot of teams on him but a starting pitcher near his caliber absolutely is a must get or we're in deep shit next year.

The bats will be fine

basedog
06-21-2022, 07:23 PM
Bound to be some sleepers in the portals. I don't follow or keep up with recruiting, but things will come together shortly.

Travelingdawg
06-21-2022, 07:34 PM
Thanks Vegas.

maroonmania
06-21-2022, 09:57 PM
Bound to be some sleepers in the portals. I don't follow or keep up with recruiting, but things will come together shortly.

Hope we do a heck of a lot better than some sleepers.

Todd4State
06-21-2022, 11:16 PM

I'm going to wait until after the draft until around August 1 before I make a judgement call on this. Adding Gartman will help a lot I think. Hopefully he'll play the Houton Harding/Peyton Plumlee role. Also, KC Hunt has looked really good this summer. Need to see what Fristoe does this summer. I expect there to be competition no matter who we bring in. We also return Pico and we've added a reliever from Ball State. Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall IMO. He has the same credentials as Walling did at this time. We need him to be a contributor. We also return Cade Smith who is proven and potentially Preston Johnson. Odds are at least one freshman will pan out in year one.

The thing is he really does need some mechanical tweaks. So we can't just hope that Foxhall leaves him alone. It's ridiculous to have a pitching coach that potentially can't develop pitchers- but Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall as well as the others.

If we don't sign some quality pitching, we need to sign a new pitching coach. Next season will be a train wreck if we don't. And folks won't survive another train wreck.

You're right that Foxhall is coaching for his job next year. Regardless of what/who we bring in we can't just rely on the portal every year. Our pitching coach has to develop pitchers to a degree. Even in MLB the pitching coaches develop their players and they're way more polished than college pitchers obviously. We can't have a pitching coach that is essentially a "game manager". And if we have another year of a staff wiped out with injuries that's a huge red flag as well.

Todd4State
06-21-2022, 11:22 PM
The big fish is Skenes. Dominic Stagliano from Stetson is another name as well as Zach Devito from Tulane. Matt Keating from USCw and Hunter Cranton at San Diego St are two more to keep an eye on.

As of now we are not pushing for Christian Little from Vandy

A lot of fans are forgetting about Thatcher Hurd as well. If we get Skenes we're probably pretty close to being done with starters because that would mean we would have Skenes*, Cade Smith, Hunt probably, Fristoe*, Gartman, Holcombe*, and whatever freshmen competing for spots. Sure, we'll take a Stagliano or someone of that caliber. Really our focus should be more on the bullpen. We need a closer as badly as we need an ace to emerge.

I figured we wouldn't push too hard for Little just because I had heard he was looking for a guaranteed rotation spot and the reality is we're going to have a ton of competition in the fall.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2022, 11:24 PM
I'm going to wait until after the draft until around August 1 before I make a judgement call on this. Adding Gartman will help a lot I think. Hopefully he'll play the Houton Harding/Peyton Plumlee role. Also, KC Hunt has looked really good this summer. Need to see what Fristoe does this summer. I expect there to be competition no matter who we bring in. We also return Pico and we've added a reliever from Ball State. Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall IMO. He has the same credentials as Walling did at this time. We need him to be a contributor. We also return Cade Smith who is proven and potentially Preston Johnson. Odds are at least one freshman will pan out in year one.

The thing is he really does need some mechanical tweaks. So we can't just hope that Foxhall leaves him alone. It's ridiculous to have a pitching coach that potentially can't develop pitchers- but Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall as well as the others.

You're right that Foxhall is coaching for his job next year. Regardless of what/who we bring in we can't just rely on the portal every year. Our pitching coach has to develop pitchers to a degree. Even in MLB the pitching coaches develop their players and they're way more polished than college pitchers obviously. We can't have a pitching coach that is essentially a "game manager". And if we have another year of a staff wiped out with injuries that's a huge red flag as well.

Holcombe has way more command than walling. I talked to a Phillies cross checker and they have him pretty high on their draft board and think his mechanics are pretty solid. He may need some tweaking but it's not much. He's pretty close right now.

Cooterpoot
06-22-2022, 06:01 AM
It's the portal world now. We can't wait on the draft. Go get every useful player you've got a spot for, then sort it out after the draft. We know who we're losing. If we get a commit from a borderline draft guy, adjust afterwards. Don't just get stuck waiting on something that might not happen. And heck, maybe they do have a couple guys lined up but not publicly committed due to that. We can hope.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-22-2022, 07:11 AM
Seems to be lots of crickets chirping when it comes to MSU getting players out of the portal.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-22-2022, 07:12 AM
It's the portal world now. We can't wait on the draft. Go get every useful player you've got a spot for, then sort it out after the draft. We know who we're losing. If we get a commit from a borderline draft guy, adjust afterwards. Don't just get stuck waiting on something that might not happen. And heck, maybe they do have a couple guys lined up but not publicly committed due to that. We can hope.
That?s what Tennessee did last year? brought a bunch of players in and sorted it out in fall.

tcdog70
06-22-2022, 08:54 AM

I hear you--but that is what I kept saying about our season--instead of coming together shorty we went to shit shortly.

Cowbell
06-22-2022, 09:28 AM
I've been in Lemonis' camp all season even through the debacle that was this year. But color me concerned at this point. We should be authoritative when it comes to getting the people we want to come play here - nobody has more to offer.

AlSwearengen
06-22-2022, 09:56 AM
I've been in Lemonis' camp all season even through the debacle that was this year. But color me concerned at this point. We should be authoritative when it comes to getting the people we want to come play here - nobody has more to offer.

this is going to ruffle some feathers, but some need to hear it. In terms of baseball, we have more than almost everyone and as much as the rest, BUT this is Mississippi and small town Mississippi on top of that. Unless a kid is focused solely on baseball and the campus, not many are going to be excited about the area. I'm basically a semi rural Mississippian and even I get the negatives. If you listen closely to our baseball coaches (past and present) talk about recruiting, they give you hints that Starkville and MS isn't for everybody. These kids aren't living in Dudy Noble. If they were, we would be able to cherry pick, but that isn't reality. This is why I won't get my hopes to high for these pitchers from California.

Cooterpoot
06-22-2022, 10:12 AM
My concern is we aren't pulling players from Florida. We always had good FL players. Only one on the roster is a transfer, and he was our best player this year. We've got a draft risk pitcher from FL this time and that's it. We're too MS heavy. I'm all for taking the top MS kids but we're taking too many. Look how many have left after signing, both HS and Juco.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-22-2022, 10:49 AM
this is going to ruffle some feathers, but some need to hear it. In terms of baseball, we have more than almost everyone and as much as the rest, BUT this is Mississippi and small town Mississippi on top of that. Unless a kid is focused solely on baseball and the campus, not many are going to be excited about the area. I'm basically a semi rural Mississippian and even I get the negatives. If you listen closely to our baseball coaches (past and present) talk about recruiting, they give you hints that Starkville and MS isn't for everybody. These kids aren't living in Dudy Noble. If they were, we would be able to cherry pick, but that isn't reality. This is why I won't get my hopes to high for these pitchers from California.
So why did we drop $68M on a new baseball stadium?

Pancho
06-22-2022, 11:00 AM
To possibly outweigh the negatives that Al just mentioned. It's not like picking a kid for an all star team due to him having a pretty momma. MSU baseball needs kids with actual talent.

Cowbell
06-22-2022, 03:01 PM

College Baseball players that are worth their salt are generally solely focused on baseball. The only other thing they usually care about are girls. And there ain't no shortage around campus. Never has been.

TNDawg35
06-22-2022, 06:06 PM
LSU just picked up Baylors SS and lead off hitter… I mean are we literally waiting til after the draft or are we content with what we have?

Coach34
06-22-2022, 06:23 PM
To quote army recruit John Winger- Lemon say "I'm pacing myself"

HoopsDawg
06-22-2022, 06:49 PM

There's some truth in this. We can't sign "anyone we want", but we should be able to get our fair share of the top talent.

BeardoMSU
06-22-2022, 06:52 PM
To quote army recruit John Winger- Lemon say "I'm pacing myself"

Well, he did end up defeating the USSR with nothing but a RV, so...**

Activated Alpha
06-22-2022, 06:54 PM
I?m concerned about recruiting now after reading all this

State82
06-22-2022, 07:23 PM
I?m concerned about recruiting now after reading all this
I've been concerned. To quote Ruth Langmore in "Ozark", while others are playing chess we are playing 17ing Candy Land.

maroonmania
06-22-2022, 07:37 PM

Well I get not reeling in a bunch a players from the West Coast or Northeast. None of them are just naturally going to jump to come to MS just on reputation alone. But at this stage in 2022 Starkville has most things that a smaller southern college town is going to have and need. Now 25 years ago that wasn't necessarily true but its not like we are trying to recruit kids to come play in Afghanistan.

Cowbell
06-22-2022, 07:58 PM
I've been concerned. To quote Ruth Langmore in "Ozark", while others are playing chess we are playing 17ing Candy Land.

Solid quote my friend. Real solid

Santiago
06-22-2022, 08:04 PM
Is McCants transferring from TSUN? I know he is not hitting right now but just curious

Pancho
06-22-2022, 08:27 PM
he struggles with LHP. he can stay

Coach34
06-22-2022, 08:37 PM
Solid quote my friend. Real solid

No love for John Winger??? damn

Saltydog
06-22-2022, 08:38 PM
Well, he did end up defeating the USSR with nothing but a RV, so...**

Lol, bet there aren't many here that know that movie except some of us older dogs....here's my personal fave....

Recruiter: Are either of you boys homosexual?

Winger: You mean like flaming or part-time?

Recruiter: Well, it's a question we have to ask recruits.

Winger: No, we're not homosexual but we are willing to learn.

Coach34
06-22-2022, 08:50 PM
one of my favorite movies

"Well sir, we were going to this bingo parlor at the YMCA, well one after another things got all fouled up and we ended up.."

Cowbell
06-22-2022, 09:20 PM
No love for John Winger??? damn

I'm a big John winger fan - but also love ozark

maroonmania
06-22-2022, 09:28 PM
Lol, bet there aren't many here that know that movie except some of us older dogs....here's my personal fave....

To go along with...

Recruiter: Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

Winger: Convicted? No, never convicted.

Todd4State
06-22-2022, 09:35 PM
Is McCants transferring from TSUN? I know he is not hitting right now but just curious

Maybe. If he does I doubt we take him.

Pancho
06-22-2022, 09:38 PM
he average .112 against LHP

Homedawg
06-22-2022, 09:44 PM
Maybe. If he does I doubt we take him.

That rumor of him coming here is just crazy. It was talked about long ago. He won't be here.

Todd4State
06-22-2022, 09:48 PM
That rumor of him coming here is just crazy. It was talked about long ago. He won't be here.

There have been rumors about a LOT of people. I think that one started because of his brother being a former MSU commit.

To me worst case scenario if we crap out is Down in LF, Ledbetter in CF, and Kellum in RF. I do think we get a CF though and it won't really come to that.

BeardoMSU
06-22-2022, 11:22 PM

My second favorite Ivan Reitman (who just recently passed away) film behind Ghostbusters. Love it!