Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Add Chris Jones to the list of pro athletes that think the earth is flat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Ok, Ken.
    Cool comebacks, "bro".

vCash
    After reading this board for a few years I'm pretty sure the earth is square.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Well I didn't want to get into a theological discussion today, but flat earthers man...... they are almost the worst. Antivaxers take the cake.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Cool comebacks, "bro".
    Do you always get this triggered by people having completely civil conversations?

vCash
    Just because we don't understand how science and religion worked together to form the earth doesn't mean it didn't happen. Personally I think God has a much better science department than us.

vCash
    I just said the earth wasn't 6000 years old bro. Sorry your genius level IQ was so triggered by that.
    What "triggers" me is complete dismissal of opposing points of view with sweeping generalizations. "Someone doesn't agree with me? Well they're (stupid/lazy/racist/bigoted/ect.)". No. There are good and intelligent people on both sides of virtually every debate. There is solid evidence on both sides of this debate. I freely admit that, based on our current scientific abilities, the universe appears extremely old. However, there is plenty of scientific evidence that it's young too. I cannot reconcile the two, and I know I never will in this life. But my faith allows me to understand that there is a reconciliation out there. Whether that means the earth is old or young is immaterial, my faith is in the only one who knows how they reconcile. My faith certainly isn't in man or our current version of science - both have been littered with failures throughout our 6,500 years of recorded history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Well I didn't want to get into a theological discussion today, but flat earthers man...... they are almost the worst. Antivaxers take the cake.
    Flat earthers aren't bothering anyone. Now, anti-vaxxers, they harm others.

vCash
    What "triggers" me is complete dismissal of opposing points of view with sweeping generalizations. "Someone doesn't agree with me? Well they're (stupid/lazy/racist/bigoted/ect.)". No. There are good and intelligent people on both sides of virtually every debate. There is solid evidence on both sides of this debate. I freely admit that, based on our current scientific abilities, the universe appears extremely old. However, there is plenty of scientific evidence that it's young too. I cannot reconcile the two, and I know I never will in this life. But my faith allows me to understand that there is a reconciliation out there. Whether that means the earth is old or young is immaterial, my faith is in the only one who knows how they reconcile. My faith certainly isn't in man or our current version of science - both have been littered with failures throughout our 6,500 years of recorded history.
    Again, as I told 7, just because I said thinking the earth is 6k years old is stupid, DOES NOT MEAN your faith is being attacked as a Christian. Plenty of Christians agree with me. If you're in Ken Hamm's boat, congrats I guess, but that IS NOT mainstream Christian thought. I guess you're assuming the people that disagree with you on this are either not Christian or Christian "enough".

Also, the OP of this thread was about making fun of flat earthers as "stupid"....so it's odd, you feel you've got to come in here and pull rank on people. The anti vaxxers are also taking lumps.

Btw, how am I a liar? Why is Ross a liar? And what is "new science"?
    And as a scientist that studies the Earth, I'm interested in what evidence you're referring to that points to the earth being young.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Flat earthers aren't bothering anyone. Now, anti-vaxxers, they harm others.
    I'm gonna have to agree with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oompa View Post
    It's just over 90 minutes, but you should watch the documentary "Behind the Curve". It's on Netflix. It's hilarious. One thing you learn is that there is no reason to even argue with flat earthers. It's useless.

The best part of the film is when a group of them come up with a couple of experiments to scientifically prove that the earth is flat and end up proving the exact opposite.
    Found it. Looks interesting....

vCash
    Again, as I told 7, just because I said thinking the earth is 6k years old is stupid, DOES NOT MEAN your faith is being attacked as a Christian. Plenty of Christians agree with me. If you're in Ken Hamm's boat, congrats I guess, but that IS NOT mainstream Christian thought. I guess you're assuming the people that disagree with you on this are either not Christian or Christian "enough".

Also, the OP of this thread was about making fun of flat earthers as "stupid"....so it's odd, you feel you've got to come in here and pull rank on people. The anti vaxxers are also taking lumps.

Btw, how am I a liar? Why is Ross a liar? And what is "new science"?
    And as a scientist that studies the Earth, I'm interested in what evidence you're referring to that points to the earth being young.
    Don't project on me. You don't know me or anything about me. Not sure why you keep bringing up Ken Hamm, but ok I guess? I couldn't care less what you think is mainstream, but there you go making huge generalizations again.

So you believe it's not insulting to call what someone believes stupid, as long as you say "but you're not stupid"? Basically saying - only your thoughts are stupid, not you. Ok - so kind of like saying, "hey, no offense, but - ".

I started this out by saying I'm not getting into this huge debate, and I meant it. Your mind is already made up anyway. I just came in this thread to read, I didn't insult anyone or their beliefs. You did.

I'm exiting this conversation with one last thought. The purpose of the Bible is to tell you who God is and why you should trust Him. The climax is Jesus, who is the only way to have a relationship with the God you've learned about. So, to me, either it's all true, or none of it is. If parts of it are a lie, then why should I trust the Gospel? How do I know which parts I should trust? Boy that's a gamble. So I just choose to believe the parts I understand, or that fit with my world view? Nope - I'd rather throw it in the trash than try that. So I believe it all. EVEN THE PARTS THAT MAKE NO SENSE TO ME PERSONALLY OR SCIENTIFICALLY. If I'm wrong in that, so be it. As I said - there is a reconciliation somewhere. It's not my job to understand it all. I have faith in the Author, and that's all that matters. I can "suffer" through people making fun of me for that if need be. There's no point to being "accepted" anyway. If I was wrong, I'm sure God won't hold it against me for trusting Him over man. If that's not "mainstream", I'm okay with not being mainstream.

You are right about one thing though - I probably didn't handle this well. I tend to get mad when I feel like my intelligence is being questioned. For that, I apologize.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    The Case for the Creator did bring up some interesting points, but you're right. It was more of an apologetics book than an actual investigation. I actually talked online with the guy who wrote "God's Crime Scene," and he sent me a free copy of his book. I haven't finished it yet, but he's brought up a lot of good points that have made me think. I think I'll always be skeptical but still out there searching.
    I respect you for that searching. Believe me, faith is not always easy. I have had plenty of doubts about various things through the years, and the digging and searching has always resulted in a stronger faith. That does not happen for everyone, but I believe Scripture has real power and that reading it produces faith to those whose eyes have been opened. I would recommend that you keep searching. Believe me, I will continue to dig on questions that I have that don't make sense to me, all the while maintaining faith that ultimately, those questions will lead me back to truth, which I believe is the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ.

I understand your skepticism, I really do. But again, keep searching. If those with the materialistic worldview are correct, then well, who really cares all that much about what conclusions anyone comes to. But, if we who have faith in Christ are correct, then the conclusion at the end is of ultimate consequence. So keep searching. I believe that Christ alone can save, and it may not mean that much to you, but I will be in prayer for you, that you find that truth as well, because I want desperately for you to find salvation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Per his twitter earlier this afternoon. Is this like a new fad amongst pros now?
    Ok....so lets assume for a minute it is flat......

HOW THICK IS THE EARTH?

And another question......do they have any examples of other planets that are flat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I respect you for that searching. Believe me, faith is not always easy. I have had plenty of doubts about various things through the years, and the digging and searching has always resulted in a stronger faith. That does not happen for everyone, but I believe Scripture has real power and that reading it produces faith to those whose eyes have been opened. I would recommend that you keep searching. Believe me, I will continue to dig on questions that I have that don't make sense to me, all the while maintaining faith that ultimately, those questions will lead me back to truth, which I believe is the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ.

I understand your skepticism, I really do. But again, keep searching. If those with the materialistic worldview are correct, then well, who really cares all that much about what conclusions anyone comes to. But, if we who have faith in Christ are correct, then the conclusion at the end is of ultimate consequence. So keep searching. I believe that Christ alone can save, and it may not mean that much to you, but I will be in prayer for you, that you find that truth as well, because I want desperately for you to find salvation.
    Great stuff, Smoot!

vCash

Thanks man. That's really nice of you to say.

vCash

Man....this post alone should be in a hall of fame thread on this board. This is some great stuff here.

vCash
    Everything we learned in physics, thermodynamics, and many of the other basic sciences teaches you that something can't come from nothing and that chaos comes from order, not the other way around.
    This 100%. Order to disorder not the other way around. I'm supposed to believe that existence as we know it originated when disorder organized into order for the one time in history. Then never did it again. Sorry not buying it.

That being said, I see the age of the universe as one of the irrefutable facts of our lifetimes. It is much older than 6000 years. Do I still believe there was a Creator...yes but I don't believe God created the universe in 6 days as we understand them. He is God. He can do whatever. Time means nothing. Like the verse says a day is like 1000 years. Not a day is literally 1000 years.

Like you said, there will be a reconciliation of all the questions we have one day. We will not come close to understanding everything in our lifetimes.

Oh and to the original point, flat earthers, along with anti vaxxers and people who believe in horoscopes, are among the dumbest people on this planet.
    Last edited by Shooter McGavin; 04-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.

vCash
    I agree it seems like a small thing, but kids look up to these people. We have enough problems with education in this country as it is. We do not need any further obstacles like athletes saying patently false statements about irrefutable scientific facts.

vCash

Greatest set of words ever typed on this board. RESPECT

vCash
    There is solid evidence on both sides of this debate. I freely admit that, based on our current scientific abilities, the universe appears extremely old. However, there is plenty of scientific evidence that it's young too.
    By young, do you mean 6,000 years old? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just not very educated on the subject. I know the science behind the old argument, what's the science behind the young argument?