Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Pawl Wants Dan....in a coaching way @ UT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Dan makes 4.8M/yr? wow... I thought it was a bit lower...

That being said, IF UT thought CDM was "the guy":
    1) UT will stroke off a check for Butch's buy out at $6M (they are going to fire him and pay him that, regardless... so, buyout is a non factor).
    2) UT won't bat an eye at paying "the guy" $45-50M to coach and pay his former employer's buyout.
    3) "The guy" would have a better chance of beating Bammer with UT talent and ancillary support.

that being said, I don't think that UT thinks that CDM is "that guy".... but I do know this:

CDM at UT is more dangerous than:

1) CDM at MSU or,
    2) Butch Jones at UT.
    I'd agree in general. However, for 2018? No, definitely not. UT is clearly not a better job for Dan Mullen than MSU for 2018. And maybe not over the next 5 seasons, with OM sanctions upcoming and quality quarterbacks and running backs on State's campus and currently committed to State for 2018 and 2019. Georgia is already back to easily leading the East. I'd guess that UT will be losing a lot of their good 2014-2016 recruits over the next couple of seasons. So in my opinion, UT wouldn't be a better job for Dan Mullen until 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.

Banned
    vCash
    I think the changing landscape of college football is evident when you look at programs like NE and TN. TN has always recruited on a national level out of necessity like NE. But the talent pool has grown and the players have more attractive options to stay closer to home. Those types of programs just have a tougher row to hoe these days to separate themselves from the rest of the competition.

as far as Mullen is concerned, if the hammer drops hard on tsun like most folks outside of oxford think, Dan's gonna be sitting in a pretty sweet spot with his $4.8M gig. I'm laying odds on him realizing that.

vCash
    SDS and Finebaum must be laughing their heads off. We are so predictable.

Banned
    vCash
    He meant 00-06. I think.
    Thank you. It isn't hard. Before Saban people were saying the same things about Alabama that they are saying about Tennessee now. "They aren't what they used to be, they can't taken anyone's coach, never coming back, etc." Everyone knew they had won titles but they were in the distant and forgotten past.

vCash
    One of the few posts I agree with, UT has more money than God. Thus, their ROI is horrible.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Before Saban
    Let us know when Tennessee gets Saban. Till then MSU is a better football program than Tennessee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    TN is not a better program than MSU now and hasn't been for several years.
    Also the money wouldn't be that much more and he would have to move his family and all that comes with it like selling a big ass house in Starkville. Megan has said numerous times that she likes the fact that after losing a game that she can still go to the grocery store. That doesn't happen like that in UT. It would be back to death threats and everything else if you lose to UGA, UF, or Bama.

vCash
    I think their are several pro/cons for either school...

Pros of UT:
    1. Bigger fanbase and support, facilities, more resources, $, etc....
    2. (all things equal) Better recruiting classes.
    3. (for the time being) Easier scheduling due to the SECE sucking hind teat.
    4. Slightly more exposure (but this is probably negligible with SECN).

Cons of UT:
    1. Completely batshit nuts fans with unrealistic expectations for the current status of the program.

That being said, if Dan is smarter than he is arrogant, and if he has a good year this year (it's looking like he will), he'll use UT's interest to get a better compensation package, stay at MSU and not have to deal with that trainwreck...

JMO
    I don't know how much is because of UT or the coaches are recruiters. Our recruiting has drastically improved since we have gotten some coaches that are known to be good recruiters. Dan has typically had more develop minded coaches on staff with a couple of guys that were the main recruiters. We have also hired some "recruiting analysts" like other programs so we are getting on closer to even footing.

As far as facilities, Dan basically designed his football complex and he doesn't give a shit about an indoor practice facility (even though we have 2 of them). I haven't been to Knoxville but everything I have seen is that it is big but that is all you can say about it. Davis Wade is a pretty nice stadium and Dan also had input into the endzone expansion. When we bowl it in, he will have input into that also. He isn't too many years away from being #1 all time in wins and he very well might have a statue outside the stadium. You probably can't say that at UT or just about anywhere else. Dan also gets along great with the President and entire athletic department. There is something to be said about Dan and his family loving to live in Starkville. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

vCash
    Coach Mullen is probably not very high up on UT's list, right now...

Those cats are gonna swing for the fences on this next hire... They are gonna want to throw enough money at a "well known" head coach that has experience at programs they consider "bigtime"....

Some of the names floating around (in no particular order - sit down for this):
    Gruden
    Kelly
    Kiffin (yes, Lane Kiffin)
    Stoops (Bob)
    Norvell
    Mullin
    Gruden isn't leaving ESPN. He makes almost 7 million a year and works maybe 40 to 50 hours a week at his most busy. He isn't taking a college job to work 80 hours a week and have to deal with all of the bullshit boosters and kissing 18 year old kids asses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Gruden isn't leaving ESPN. He makes almost 7 million a year and works maybe 40 to 50 hours a week at his most busy. He isn't taking a college job to work 80 hours a week and have to deal with all of the bullshit boosters and kissing 18 year old kids asses.
    This guy gets it. Gruden has said numerous times he enjoys his time with his family and doesn't miss the rat race of coaching. Heck he only works about 4 months out of the year and makes more than he could make coaching.

Banned
    vCash
    Mike Norvell at Memphis, or Justin Fuente, or both interesting hires to me. I doubt Fuente would leave, but the point I'm getting at, is Memphis. That's the most talent-rich city in the state of Tennessee and they hardly have any success there. I think the formula for Tennessee football recruiting is to keep Memphis kids in-state. Take their share from Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity. Then, unfortunately for them, they'll have to go fight like everybody else down in South Florida. It's just the nature of it.

They used to have success in Virginia and California but I just do not see that happening anytime soon again.

On the other hand, you can't go hire a coach with 2 years experience just because the guy is in Memphis. Bottom line, you've got to find a guy who can get the players there. I think they should go with Charlie Strong. I mean Kiffin showed you how to do it. That's why I think Mullen is a horrible fit for Tennessee....he's not a recruiter. For Mullen to jump he needs a program that has a resting talent pulse above that of Tennessee.

vCash
    Dan saw the bad side of coaching at Florida. He's not leaving unless one of a very few jobs open and want him. Not sure why our fans get into this conversation every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Dan saw the bad side of coaching at Florida. He's not leaving unless one of a very few jobs open and want him. Not sure why our fans get into this conversation every year.
    Yep, Megan has mentioned it multiple times. Dan has to raise expectations a lot more at MSU before you would come close to the fan expectations at any of the "bigger" programs. Similar to Gruden, I am not sure that money would be enough of a motivating factor to get him to move especially when it isn't double your salary type money.

Dan has a lot less stress at MSU and the ability to put his name forever on a SEC program. I am not sure if he thinks of it but he can have his name associated with MSU the way Bowden is with FSU, Beamer at Va Tech, Spurrier at UF, and Snyder at KSU. Saban will never have his name stamped on the program at Bama because of Bear Bryant. He will forever be the guy who reinvigorated "Bear Bryant's program".

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Tennessee could offer more money than us if they really wanted to, but it would not be reasonable for them to offer Mullen what it would take. We could match them up to 6 or 6.5 if we wanted to. I don't think they would go any higher than that, and I don't think he would leave unless they did.

vCash
    At one time, Tennessee WAS a better program compared to Mississippi State. That is no longer true. I don't know why so many people keep spreading the false narrative that UT is a better program than M State.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Tennessee is a better job than Mississippi State, but IMO it's not a good enough job for Mullen to leave with what he has coming back in 2018, with Keytaon on campus, & the 2019 Mississippi class.

The truth is that Mullen has a blank check to be at MSU for as long as he wants to be here. He has the formula figured out & we'll never fire him. He can coach at MSU for 20+ years.

At Tennessee, he has to win over the next 3-5 years or he'll be gone. With what MSU has & can offer Mullen, Tennessee just isn't worth it.

Mullen will leave MSU if he believes the job he is taking can get him consistently in the national championship race & Tennessee doesn't offer that. When run correctly, Tennessee is a 9-10 win program. Well, Mullen basically has MSU at an 8 win program & sometimes 9. So he is going to leave MSU for 1 extra win a year & Bama still on his schedule? LOL. That makes no sense. I think Tennessee would have a much greater chance of landing Mullen if they got rid of the 3rd Sat in Oct game.

Now, if Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame (for more reasons than football), or Florida State comes after Mullen, then I'll be worried, because those schools offer him enough upside to leave MSU.

Again, TN is a better program than MSU, but not to the extent that would make Mullen leaving his blank check at MSU worth it.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Tennessee is not a better program, but they do have a higher ceiling. They also have unrealistic expectations and shitty in state talent to match those expectations which makes getting fired in 4 or 5 years extremely likely for whoever takes the job.....which makes the job much less attractive to someone that is already making nearly 5 million dollars a year.

vCash
    Dan makes 4.8M/yr? wow... I thought it was a bit lower...

That being said, IF UT thought CDM was "the guy":
    1) UT will stroke off a check for Butch's buy out at $6M (they are going to fire him and pay him that, regardless... so, buyout is a non factor).
    2) UT won't bat an eye at paying "the guy" $45-50M to coach and pay his former employer's buyout.
    3) "The guy" would have a better chance of beating Bammer with UT talent and ancillary support.

that being said, I don't think that UT thinks that CDM is "that guy".... but I do know this:

CDM at UT is more dangerous than:

1) CDM at MSU or,
    2) Butch Jones at UT.
    I agree with you for they are just like OM and would buy the players also.

vCash
    And this is why ESPN had to layoff about 100 other reporters, and is iffy at best.

vCash
    I don't know how much is because of UT or the coaches are recruiters. Our recruiting has drastically improved since we have gotten some coaches that are known to be good recruiters. Dan has typically had more develop minded coaches on staff with a couple of guys that were the main recruiters. We have also hired some "recruiting analysts" like other programs so we are getting on closer to even footing.

As far as facilities, Dan basically designed his football complex and he doesn't give a shit about an indoor practice facility (even though we have 2 of them). I haven't been to Knoxville but everything I have seen is that it is big but that is all you can say about it. Davis Wade is a pretty nice stadium and Dan also had input into the endzone expansion. When we bowl it in, he will have input into that also. He isn't too many years away from being #1 all time in wins and he very well might have a statue outside the stadium. You probably can't say that at UT or just about anywhere else. Dan also gets along great with the President and entire athletic department. There is something to be said about Dan and his family loving to live in Starkville. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
    You're right. It wouldn't make any sense for Dan to leave MSU for Tennessee. We can pay him the same and it's a lot less stressful at MSU. I also don't think it's a fit for Dan because of how they expect to recruit which is a very similar set-up to Ole Miss and Auburn with overactive boosters. I just don't see it happening. Not to mention we're set-up to win 8-10 games over the next few years. Tennessee is going to probably have to do some rebuilding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Mike Norvell at Memphis, or Justin Fuente, or both interesting hires to me. I doubt Fuente would leave, but the point I'm getting at, is Memphis. That's the most talent-rich city in the state of Tennessee and they hardly have any success there. I think the formula for Tennessee football recruiting is to keep Memphis kids in-state. Take their share from Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity. Then, unfortunately for them, they'll have to go fight like everybody else down in South Florida. It's just the nature of it.

They used to have success in Virginia and California but I just do not see that happening anytime soon again.

On the other hand, you can't go hire a coach with 2 years experience just because the guy is in Memphis. Bottom line, you've got to find a guy who can get the players there. I think they should go with Charlie Strong. I mean Kiffin showed you how to do it. That's why I think Mullen is a horrible fit for Tennessee....he's not a recruiter. For Mullen to jump he needs a program that has a resting talent pulse above that of Tennessee.
    The problem with them as far as Memphis is the location oddly enough. Memphis is a lot closer to MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, roughly the same as far as Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU in terms of distance and travel time compared to Knoxville and as a result almost everyone in the SEC recruits Memphis some. Everything gets thinned out pretty quickly. Tennessee is a lot closer to Atlanta and probably would be more effective trying there. At the very least they could put a dent into Georgia's recruiting probably while still trying to get what they could out of Memphis and Nashville.