Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I knew he would have to go to a lower level job to get one
    Why did I just laugh?

Geezer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    You are 100% correct. We had one coach that couldn't coach,helluva golfer , so made him ad, the committee that hired Felker were doctors, cpa's ect. One member told me that they had as much business in hiring coaches as doodle squat. Just some of the examples.

I will take up for LT, he did manage our money very well, when we had none. He did things that we didn't agree with just to keep us afloat. Later years he held us back and should have been let go long before he was. He surrounded himself with people that pretty much had their self interest in mind, and hired people he knew wouldn't be a threat to him, if one actually did, he fired him or ran him off.

PS: I like olderthandirt, geezer or whatever, better than Diaper Daddy. Cause the day I need them , it won't be so funny.
    We were our own worst enemies for decades. Shannondawg is correct. Most of you are too young to remember how bad Charlie Shira was and yet, Dr. Giles and some of the cigar boys tried to get his contract renewed before we hired Tyler. They never bought into Tyler because they couldn't control him. Ultimately the folks up North made sure he was not a threat anymore. I simply can't understand the hatred for Stansbury. Was he perfect, no, but we haven't been close since. Hopefully Howland and Schaeffer get us there and being realistic, Schaeffer already has. A&M has a lot of young talent that will be good in the future and I think Howland is bringing in young talent as well. We have to remember, the SEC is not real good in basketball at this time. In the past, Florida and Kentucky were very good but not much else. This has nothing to do with Rick Stansbury getting a very good opportunity to be a head coach again right near his farm he owns in Bowling Green . He will do well I am sure and I am also sure the haters will never quit hating. Sad indeed.

vCash
    Did anyone think Stans would be a head coach again before our program got back to the "unacceptable" level that got him fired?

Banned
    vCash
    They had a top 10 recruiting class- does that mean we are going to suck next year?
    Nope we have a legit coach not a feel good story

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastdoglover View Post
    We were our own worst enemies for decades. Shannondawg is correct. Most of you are too young to remember how bad Charlie Shira was and yet, Dr. Giles and some of the cigar boys tried to get his contract renewed before we hired Tyler. They never bought into Tyler because they couldn't control him. Ultimately the folks up North made sure he was not a threat anymore. I simply can't understand the hatred for Stansbury. Was he perfect, no, but we haven't been close since. Hopefully Howland and Schaeffer get us there and being realistic, Schaeffer already has. A&M has a lot of young talent that will be good in the future and I think Howland is bringing in young talent as well. We have to remember, the SEC is not real good in basketball at this time. In the past, Florida and Kentucky were very good but not much else. This has nothing to do with Rick Stansbury getting a very good opportunity to be a head coach again right near his farm he owns in Bowling Green . He will do well I am sure and I am also sure the haters will never quit hating. Sad indeed.
    I agree and actually like Coach Stansbury. Really personable guy and a true player's coach. His biggest issue was when Coach Kirby left and he didn't have a guy on his staff that was the disciplinarian type coach which eventually led to his demise regarding our team getting out of control. You have to have a solid mix of disciplinarian type coaches and player coaches on your staff to maintain a good chemistry on the team. When Coach Kirby left, he didn't hire that tough disciplinarian type of guy to maintain the balance on the staff. Things probably turn out differently for Sidney if Kirby is there to develop him like he told Sidney's dad he would be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Nope we have a legit coach not a feel good story
    A&M will be every bit as good as we are next year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    As someone thats in between the Diaper Daddy's and the Young Punks- I do have to say some of the losing and problems we had in the 50's thru the 80's had alot to do with State and it's propensity to keep the "good ol boy network" going. Until the 2000's- we were about as progressive in sports as an Homish community. Lots of self-inflicted wounds with dumb decisions coupled with a fanbase that cant get united. Looking back at some of our athletic hires and admin choices is astonishing.
    Whoops

vCash
    I agree.

Of course they will have had two top ten classes in a row

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I agree.

Of course they will have had two top ten classes in a row
    Funniest part of all it is that since they started 4 Sr's- the core of their Sweet 16 team was recruited by Kennedy before Stands got there

vCash
    No , but we had four as well, but only a year of coaching. Our new ones will have Ben's coaching , A&M will not have Stans guiding hand to help them along.

Banned
    vCash
    Funniest part of all it is that since they started 4 Sr's- the core of their Sweet 16 team was recruited by Kennedy before Stands got there
    I remember stands recruited dampier. I remember dampier crediting stans relentless effort that swayed him to state. Which means he also recruited Jones. Dampier left for the NBA that year as a junior. Was the year he recruited dampier his 1st at State? Without Jones and dampier we don't sniff the sweet 16.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastdoglover View Post
    Yes, we had plenty of incompetence to go around but it was just a totally different world back then. We had little tradition, a very small budget, below average facilities, very small fanbase and virtually no TV exposure. ALL of that has changed with the rise of the SEC and with Jackie giving us a little bit of winning to hang our hat on. Plus we get just as much TV exposure today regionally as anyone. Parity is the norm today whereas back then there were really only about 20-25 football programs that were relevant. Making our programs nationally competitive back in those days was climbing a mountain where as today its just climbing a small hill. Guess my post is more focused on football but most everything I've listed pre-Williams is true of basketball as well except that our history in basketball was certainly better than football.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-25-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Guess you and I got us a little bet going

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I remember stands recruited dampier. I remember dampier crediting stans relentless effort that swayed him to state. Which means he also recruited Jones. Dampier left for the NBA that year as a junior. Was the year he recruited dampier his 1st at State? Without Jones and dampier we don't sniff the sweet 16.
    Brady and Reboul were the lead recruiters that put together our SEC title and 1st NCAA bid under Williams to begin the Nineties
    Then Kirby and Stands pulled in the crew that got us to the Sweet 16 and then the FF the next year in the mid-nineties

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    No , but we had four as well, but only a year of coaching. Our new ones will have Ben's coaching , A&M will not have Stans guiding hand to help them along.
    It's funny how someone gets so much credit for advancing in the NCAA Tourney as an Asst coach but could never do it himself as a HC in 14 tries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yes, we had plenty of incompetence to go around but it was just a totally different world back then. We had little tradition, a very small budget, below average facilities, very small fanbase and virtually no TV exposure. ALL of that has changed with the rise of the SEC and with Jackie giving us a little bit of winning to hang our hat on. Plus we get just as much TV exposure today regionally as anyone. Parity is the norm today whereas back then there were really only about 20-25 football programs that were relevant. Making our programs nationally competitive back in those days was climbing a mountain where as today its just climbing a small hill. Guess my post is more focused on football but most everything I've listed pre-Williams is true of basketball as well except that our history in basketball was certainly better than football.
    We were on our way in the mid 1970's but the probation put us "back in our place". The early 1980's were awesome as well, with Cooks, Hull, Bond, McDoyle and others. I think in 81 or 82 we could have won the SEC with a win over Bama, a game we had a chance to win late.

vCash
    Nope, incorrect. Danuel House and Anthony Collins are both transfers into the program recruited by none other then Stansbury. Also, although their recruiting class in 2015 was ranked 4th (they brought in 5 4 star guys compared to our 6 4 star guys this class), they haven't had a recruiting class in the top 20 since then (2014 were ranked 50th, 2016 ranked 33rd). I would not call those classes elite that are sandwiched between that 4th rated class. Not sure where everyone was getting this they have strung together quite a few elite classes. More like they had one elite class and had transfers fill the other rolls which Stansbury also recruited. I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach. I think we will see that Stansbury had a big impact on his success.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Lets not forget in all of this somewhat lovefest for this guy that
    1. He ain't Bill Self.
    And
    B. he did orchestrate the dumpster fire that begot the Woodenesque Rick Ray. (Which begot Howland so I guess there is credit there)

Once again super nice guy, good recruiter, and by all accounts loved State. Terrible disciplinarian and even worse floor coach. Recruited well enough to get wins but not well enough to get to the 2nd weekend of the tournament that really matters. Lets not build a statue for the guy.

vCash
    Well Coach one thing for sure, Stans deserves some credit for the success of this board, without your constant bashing,it wouldn't have gotten the notoriety and success it has. Most of us know you do it tongue in cheek just for the hits and fun of it.

And all of this thread may be in vain, everything I read is that he is the front runner and is going to interview for the job. Nothing set in stone as far as I can see.

Be curious what the salary will be if he either gets or takes the job , he is reported to make 1mil as an asst head coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Nope, incorrect. Danuel House and Anthony Collins are both transfers into the program recruited by none other then Stansbury. Also, although their recruiting class in 2015 was ranked 4th (they brought in 5 4 star guys compared to our 6 4 star guys this class), they haven't had a recruiting class in the top 20 since then (2014 were ranked 50th, 2016 ranked 33rd). I would not call those classes elite that are sandwiched between that 4th rated class. Not sure where everyone was getting this they have strung together quite a few elite classes. More like they had one elite class and had transfers fill the other rolls which Stansbury also recruited. I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach. I think we will see that Stansbury had a big impact on his success.
    Jones and Caruso were 3 year starters under Kennedy
    House transferred 3 weeks after Stands was hired- I'm pretty sure that A&M had contacted him before Stands came aboard

A&M has gotten consistently better since Kennedy took over. Stands gave them a recruiting boost- no doubt. But they were already on the upswing