Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakota Hudson

vCash

Dakota Hudson

Why isn't he playing more of a role? One of the few, perhaps the only, players that can gun it mid 90s. There was so much hype around him and for two years he's been a non factor. He's barely pitched at all this year.

For all I know he may not be ready and it would be a disaster. But it seems our high level guys never seem to complete their game at State.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Hmmmm....high level guys not reaching any potential...but our team era is awesome

vCash
    Shhhh....we have to keep running Captain Clown Mitchell out there to get shelled. We're asking too much to get more than 1 season out of our high level players.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Yep, for all the praise Butch gets there are a lot of high value pitchers that come through our program that either don't develop under him at all or we only get one productive year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yep, for all the praise Butch gets there are a lot of high value pitchers that come through our program that either don't develop under him at all or we only get one productive year.
    I don't know if yall have heard but butch is the best pitching coach in the country?**

vCash
    I don't know who the high value guys are that haven't developed at all, but we have had a couple that we haven't gotten more than a year or so out of.

vCash
    8th best era in the country over 5 years -- only MSU fans would be bitching. Because Perfect Game rankings obviously are a scientific truth and Butch is just a dumbass that can't develop anybody**

vCash
    Go take a look at the pitchers from our program who have gone pro just in the past 3 years. Then just shut up
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    8th best era in the country over 5 years -- only MSU fans would be bitching. Because Perfect Game rankings obviously are a scientific truth and Butch is just a dumbass that can't develop anybody**
    All I'm saying is that it seems some pitchers do well under Butch and some don't. I think that's a fair assessment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't know who the high value guys are that haven't developed at all, but we have had a couple that we haven't gotten more than a year or so out of.
    I'm talking guys like Devin Jones, Brandon Woodruff, Evan Mitchell, etc. Guys that were talented enough to get drafted out of our program but gave us almost nothing in the way of production. As you stated, there is another list of guys that we got one good year out of.

vCash
    All I'm saying is that it seems some pitchers do well under Butch and some don't. I think that's a fair assessment.
    When you are 8th best in the country at something over that length of time -- with our inherent disadvantages both in scholarships available and our academic reputation -- and the shitshow of a reputation in baseball circles that Russ McNickle left us with(the general public doesn't EVEN begin to know) -- you ain't missing on much. Yeah -- some of the "elite" guys, who were basically only assessed that way by Gene and/or Kendall Rogers(who didn't get drafted decently out of HS outside of Woodruff who had arm trouble with us) haven't panned out. But it's hard as hell to bitch about when the total sum of the parts = #8 nationally in ERA -- and I'm willing to bet better than that in WHIP -- take us to the brink in a season with one reliable starter -- and have consistently piece-mealed a staff together that hasn't EVER been "complete" under this regime yet.

My point is that our fanbase is our own worst enemy. If you are Butch Thompson -- and you are widely regarded as one of the absolute best pitching coaches in the game(WIDELY regarded) -- why would you want to stick around and put up with our fans bitching because you put about 8 guys in the show the past 3 years, have had bad luck with injuries, and are seeing a year of growing pains -- after being NATIONALLY ELITE for 4 straight years? The fact is -- NOTHING is ever going to make you happy -- if you aren't happy enough with what he's accomplished here to give him a free pass for a transition season.

vCash
    I'm talking guys like Devin Jones, Brandon Woodruff, Evan Mitchell, etc. Guys that were talented enough to get drafted out of our program but gave us almost nothing in the way of production. As you stated, there is another list of guys that we got one good year out of.
    #8 nationally. Over 5 years. Want to go through the teams above us in terms of lottery states, academic reputations, etc? We do more with less than anyone in the country on the hill.

Breaking it down how you are comes off as just bitching for the sake of bitching. Would I love to have a Nola/Beede that is day 1 elite for 3 years? Absolutely I would and have clamored for it before. But it's a stretch to complain about guys that didn't work out while the staff is considered nationally elite and the pitching coach was national assistant of the year THIS PAST SEASON...

vCash
    I'm not complaining about Butch. I think he is fantastic, that is obvious. But there have been some guys that had obvious talent just by eye observations that didn't pan out. I'm not complaining, its just been true. Now, on the other hand, you have the people like Stratton, Holder, Pirtle, Girodo who weren't that highly rated and turned into fantastic players.

vCash
    Woodruff was the only "high" guy. Mitchell was a butch find. He didn't throw that hard when we found him. He had a great upside. But was never ever a high prospect. Jones either.

vCash
    I think the fact that girodo turned into a stud, holder a stud. And Lindgren and graveman on the mlb doorstep probably says enough. But maybe not for this board. Which, again says enough about this board too- clueless.

vCash
    Devin Jones could throw hard. He was your typically backwoods country guy that could throw 90+ but had no clue how to pitch. He still has no clue even after a few years in pro ball.

Woodruff was pitching with a broken arm- and was treated unfairly by some of our fans. (Called a headcase, bust, sucked, etc.) If anything we saved his career because the one baseball injury I have yet to see a pitcher come back from is a broken humerus. Youtube worst baseball injury ever- and you will Tony Saunders break his arm in half. That's what we saved Woodruff from.

Evan Mitchell is a goofball. Has a MLB caliber fastball, but I don't think he's serious enough to succeed past the minors.

Pretty tough to criticize Butch for those guys. When you are rebuilding- which we were when those guys were being recruited- it's hard to get a guy like Paul Maholm to come to campus. When we are just now starting to see the benefits of what we have been doing with the guys that are about to come in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I think the fact that girodo turned into a stud, holder a stud. And Lindgren and graveman on the mlb doorstep probably says enough. But maybe not for this board. Which, again says enough about this board too- clueless.
    And I bet Girodo gets a chance at MLB at some point in the net two years as well.

vCash
    Another thing you must keep in mind with several of those guys. Butch is a PITCHING COACH, not a PSYCHOLOGIST. And that is what some of them needed. #headcase

vCash
    All of this said, I don't understand why Hudson isn't getting more of a chance. I get that he has some numbers that are "red flags"- 7 hits allowed in 6 IP, teams hitting .292 against him (which is better than Ross and only 11 points worse than Daniel Brown- both of whom have had multiple chances to fail).

That said, Hudson has 11 K's to only 1 walk in 6 IP and of the seven hits that he has allowed, he has only allowed two extra base hits- and both were doubles. His ERA doesn't look great at 3.00- but he has allowed only 2 runs in a small sample size.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    All of this said, I don't understand why Hudson isn't getting more of a chance. I get that he has some numbers that are "red flags"- 7 hits allowed in 6 IP, teams hitting .292 against him (which is better than Ross and only 11 points worse than Daniel Brown- both of whom have had multiple chances to fail).

That said, Hudson has 11 K's to only 1 walk in 6 IP and of the seven hits that he has allowed, he has only allowed two extra base hits- and both were doubles. His ERA doesn't look great at 3.00- but he has allowed only 2 runs in a small sample size.
    Well a couple things, one who he has pitched against. Second, he can't get our hitters out in intersquad. And clearly, his bullpens haven't lit the world up. while he throws harder than anyone we have, it has no movement. None