Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our fans need to drop the ? here we go again? attitude

vCash
    We have a very veteran team and added the most prolific scorer in Mississippi High History. If just getting to the tourney is the goal, they may actually win enough to do that and many of you will be satisfied. An experienced team like State has to win games at home like yesterday. Several SEC teams have shown they can win on the road. State rarely wins SEC road games.
    They aren't mentally tough enough yet, and that is saying something for so many 4 and 5 year players.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    Capt Obvious - I get your point. However..:

1) Last year we started 1-7 in the SEC.
    2) We may have statistically been the single worst 3 pt shooting team in division 1.

We made the tournament.

That screams mental toughness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Capt Obvious - I get your point. However..:

1) Last year we started 1-7 in the SEC.
    2) We may have statistically been the single worst 3 pt shooting team in division 1.

We made the tournament.

That screams mental toughness.
    This team is experienced enough to make the Sweet 16. Just making the tourney may be satisfactory. But they HAVE best good teams when they get to neutral sites. Played the Jan's way Wednesday and beat a team better than Bammer. Played Nate Oates way Saturday and lost. State was in the bonus with over 10 minutes to go. In the double bonus with over 5 minutes to go. Missed 7 of last 10 free throws and the last 6. And to add insult to injury lost by 8, because Bammer made all 6 of their 1 & 1 free throws to end the game.

The wrong team won because of their sense of urgency and mental toughness down the stretch. The bigger, more physical and actually more experienced team lost on the scoreboard, the rebounding, free throw shooting, points off turnovers and fast break points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    We have a very veteran team and added the most prolific scorer in Mississippi High History. If just getting to the tourney is the goal, they may actually win enough to do that and many of you will be satisfied. An experienced team like State has to win games at home like yesterday. Several SEC teams have shown they can win on the road. State rarely wins SEC road games.
    They aren't mentally tough enough yet, and that is saying something for so many 4 and 5 year players.
    Exactly. What's it gonna take for us to do the little things that allows us to protect the Home court (since it's so tough to win in the SEC) and then find a way to steal a few on the Road (we shoulda been ready to take the USCe game) given winning at Rupp, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc will be difficult?

We can't miss 12 free throws in the critical games. I don't want to be fighting for an 11-seed. I want our experienced players to develop that mental toughness to match the physicality we can present and push for a 5-seed (every damn year).

I guess I'm just stuck in the Darryl Wilson and Lawrence Roberts era(s) and know what we used to be and what we could be.

vCash
    It will be a long time before State is this experienced in basketball again, if ever.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    We beat Tenn (#5) Wednesday.

My only point is it is not "Here we go again". We lost a game to a good team. We will also beat good teams.

vCash
    Our fans look for every excuse not to just be fans and support the team. Just look at the posts in this thread and others. It's been this was for a long time too. We've been playing bubble level basketball for 6 years now - a level our fans should be supporting, and frankly is pretty much what we were in the 90s and early 00s. Some years better, some years worse. Instead we get every excuse on the planet.

This team has a great chance to make the tourney and win some games. Just be a fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Exactly. What's it gonna take for us to do the little things that allows us to protect the Home court (since it's so tough to win in the SEC) and then find a way to steal a few on the Road (we shoulda been ready to take the USCe game) given winning at Rupp, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc will be difficult?

We can't miss 12 free throws in the critical games. I don't want to be fighting for an 11-seed. I want our experienced players to develop that mental toughness to match the physicality we can present and push for a 5-seed (every damn year).

I guess I'm just stuck in the Darryl Wilson and Lawrence Roberts era(s) and know what we used to be and what we could be.
    So I guess you only count Super D's last 2 seasons when we made the tournament and not his first season in '94? We went 18-11/9-7 that season and missed the tourney.

Roberts was awesome in '04, but we went 23-11/9-7 in '05 and barely squeaked in.

We had 9 tourney teams from '91 - '09. How is what we've been doing since '18 not up par? Make the tourney this season and we will have gone 3 times in 6 seasons. Our history says we might be able to push into a top 5 seed once a decade or so.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-14-2024 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    More of our fans care about the Bama football coach than our basketball team.

That has to change.

State used to have a great basketball culture.

We can build it back to we could have two great cultures

Baseball
    Basketball

Then battle in football.
    My sons and I wore Banana outfits and came ready to cheer. The bluehairs looked at us like we had lost our minds some complimented us though.

Kudos to the lady in front of me with a young son. She was all over the refs and frustrated with our free throw shooting. She was an OG whoever she was.

vCash
    Last night was disappointing because we were capable of beating Bama but no way fans should be tossing in the towel over the loss. Bottom line is that Bama is more talented than we are. In fact, we are experienced but still in the bottom half of the league talent wise. Last night was not 'shitting the bed'. That was done when we lost to Southern. In fact, losing to Southern is the very definition of that term.

vCash
    Jans hasn't been able to land the big fish. I don't count Hubbard since that situation was different. Is this an NIL problem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Jans hasn't been able to land the big fish. I don't count Hubbard since that situation was different. Is this an NIL problem?
    Yep, we all know we wouldn't have gotten Hubbard if Kermit Davis hadn't been fired.

vCash
    I think we go 9-9 in SEC play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I think we go 9-9 in SEC play
    That gets us a bid imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That gets us a bid imo
    Definitely.

vCash
    I hope we go at least 9-9. I disagree our talent is bottom half of SEC. At least our perceived talent. Apparently the wrong people were doing the perceiving based on the experts here. The talent is certainly good enough to do better than 15-25 from FT. And certainly better than 0-6 from FT when the game was on the line.

vCash
    9-9 is going to be sketchy for a bid and it will be just like last year where we are sweating it out. The only reason we made the tournament last year and snuck in was because we beat the Big East champ Marquette on a neutral court. We would not have made it without that win along with the TCU win which was another quad 1 win. We also had a solid win over Utah last year which is kind of equivalent to NW and Wash State this year. We also had no bad losses and we have the southern loss this year . This year we have no quad 1 wins in non conference. It’s a completely different resume so we really need to get to that 10 win mark to stay safe.

Banned
    vCash
    About the basketball team.

Basketball is a mini marathon. It?s a tough league and just have to be there for the end, which we will be.
    Except....... for the past 17 years every single time we get some momentum we lose a big game at home. Surely we would win one eventually to keep momentum going, but we haven't and until we do that will be the attitude.
    Just make some GD free throws and we win that game. That and adjust our defense every other trip down the court.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Except....... for the past 17 years every single time we get some momentum we lose a big game at home. Surely we would win one eventually to keep momentum going, but we haven't and until we do that will be the attitude.
    Just make some GD free throws and we win that game. That and adjust our defense every other trip down the court.
    That's the fallacy of qualifying your fandom.
    Was beating Tennessee not winning a big game at home that carried over momentum from the very good non-con schedule? But I guess that doesn't count because the next home game was against an equally tough opponent.

We have a whole bunch of fans who think that having 4 great teams over a 20 year period makes us Kentucky and qualify their support based on those seasons. It's total BS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That's the fallacy of qualifying your fandom.
    Was beating Tennessee not winning a big game at home that carried over momentum from the very good non-con schedule? But I guess that doesn't count because the next home game was against an equally tough opponent.

We have a whole bunch of fans who think that having 4 great teams over a 20 year period makes us Kentucky and qualify their support based on those seasons. It's total BS.
    ^^^