Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
That is one of the big theories right now. That when Palpatine was talking about the Sith who conquered death that it was due to the fact that he learned how to basically take over bodies and he was getting Anakin ready for it. That is why he wanted Luke on the Death Star instead of Vader.

I understand what Rian was doing and it had to be done at some point but you don't just break from the entire Skywalker plot right after reintroducing the characters after 30 years.

I typed up a long post on Sixpack about it. They way they tried to interject humor into some scenes was kind of cringe worthy. Luke throwing away the lightsaber doesn't fit the character or the scene. On top of that, why is Rey the one who goes to him and not Chewie. He doesn't know Rey. The whole milking scene was just creepy.

Rey becomes a Jedi in like 3 days. She was basically faster at it than Anakin or Luke, Anakin was made from the force so this makes zero sense. I get having to speed things up but the time line just doesn't work out very well.

The entire plan to basically empty the ships then ram into a Star Destroyer could have been told to Poe since he is a senior leader of the Resistance. Leia would know that Poe wouldn't just sit around on his hands. He is begging to know they are doing something and they just ignore him. On top of that, the plan is to use one of their top military minds to kamikaze the ship. Other than Leia, she is supposed to be the most important person in the Resistance. They could have used a droid or some low level private and it makes a ton more sense.

I am not even talking about the Rose/Finn side quest that was a complete waste of time unless it was to introduce the force kid at the stable or Benicio's character who turned on them. They could have completely cut that out of the film and you wouldn't even notice. Also, Phasma went out like a bitch but I guess it does harken back to Bobba Fett getting accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc Pit. Supposedly one of the best warriors in the galaxy killed by a janitor.

I overall like the new characters, Kylo is kind of emo but ok, I like Rey, Finn, and Poe. Rose is optimistic which you need in the movie.

I also liked the opening with Poe being a badass in the XWing but the joke about not hearing Hux just went on too long. It was kind of funny at first but then just became cringeworthy.
They actually explained this in the novelization. Basically she downloaded everything Kylo knew when Snoke bridged their minds. She basically stole years of training without the work of actually earning that knowledge. I think it's shitty, lazy writing, but it at least makes some semblance of sense. My guess is that the reason she's so overpowered, other than she's a Mary Sue who stole all Kylo's training and Kat Kennedy wants her to be infallible, is that we're going to find out she's either A) A Skywalker, whether through Luke or Leia, or B) she's a creation of the Force itself, similar to Anakin.