Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressive moves by Ole Miss

vCash

Impressive moves by Ole Miss

Probably adding Juice Wells at WR along with Deion Smith, Tre Harris and Jordan Watkins. Juice is one of the beast weapons in the country when healthy.

They are adding an OL from USM today. The UF gator edge rusher just got crystal balled to them. Walter Nolan is visiting on Friday.

They've gotten a DB from Illinois and Indiana and the LB, Chris Paul from Arkansas. Dart and Judkins returning. May get a solid Olinemen from Indiana.

That's what pulling in the same direction looks like. They will have a solid chance to make the CFP next year if all of that happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Probably adding Juice Wells at WR along with Deion Smith, Tre Harris and Jordan Watkins. Juice is one of the beast weapons in the country when healthy.

They are adding an OL from USM today. The UF gator edge rusher just got crystal balled to them. Walter Nolan is visiting on Friday.

They've gotten a DB from Illinois and Indiana and the LB, Chris Paul from Arkansas. Dart and Judkins returning. May get a solid Olinemen from Indiana.

That's what pulling in the same direction looks like. They will have a solid chance to make the CFP next year if all of that happens.
    Exactly, this is what being a little more forward thinking and taking a chance when you had to looks like. They saw the NIL coming and jumped in and our old AD didn't grasp the situation and didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Exactly, this is what being a little more forward thinking and taking a chance when you had to looks like. They saw the NIL coming and jumped in and our old AD didn't grasp the situation and didn't.
    That's because he only gave a shit about baseball. Thank God Selmon is a former D1 football player with roots at a school with a grand football tradition. I hope we are about to see a Byrne/Mullen 2009 level of give-a-shit for a few years.

vCash

I would expect Juice Wells to go to Texas.

Here is the part of the portal we need to be ready for that we haven't experienced, we will be a stalking horse for a lot of solid SEC players in the portal. It is happening to the bears. I've had bear friends gloat to me via text about a kid that was "in the bag" only to have to back track because that player is on his way to Texas or FSU to get a better offer. Now, maybe they don't get it, but I would expect them to get out bid on most elite prospects, but potentially do a good job with the DB from Illinois/Indiana types that are solid, and maybe land the occasional impact player like Paul from Arkansas.

We will need to overpay for some guys so they won't leave campus. Kids like Miner from UNT, we have to overspend to lock him down.

I'm just torn on what we can do for next year. Do we save NIL money for next HS recruiting year, where it seems we are set up to have a big year in-state? Do we spend a bunch of NIL money on transfers that only have 1 year of eligibility remaining hoping for 7-8 wins?

I don't envy Coach Lebby, it is a damn tough spot when you look at the roster and realize you basically have to start from scratch on offense (i'm talking we need 11 damn starters) and on defense you probably need about 8 guys on defense assuming no one else leaves.

One thing I would stress is patience, both next year and the portal this offseason. We may not hit in the portal until after New Years, but then after the bowl games there will be another round of portal players, and if we have been patient, maybe we land some studs that other schools can't go after because they have already made their portal commitments.

vCash
    Somebody posted the other day that their collective is in the red because of all the money they had to borrow last year. I have no idea what their numbers look like this year, but that doesn't sound like a very sustainable model.

vCash
    . They will have a solid chance to make the CFP next year if all of that happens.
    They play Georgia and OU at home, LSU, SC, Florida, and UPig on the road. Let's dont crown them just yet

But yes- embracing the portal and NIL 2 years before us is a huge advantage
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfan09 View Post
    Somebody posted the other day that their collective is in the red because of all the money they had to borrow last year. I have no idea what their numbers look like this year, but that doesn't sound like a very sustainable model.
    They have a group of 5-6 people who have personally guaranteed bank loans in the name of the collective.

vCash
    They have access to money and they are using it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    They had the good sense to read the room when things started to change.

vCash
    They had the good sense to read the room when things started to change.
    don't you mean, their sorostitues had to be forced to blow the room when things started to change? lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    don't you mean, their players have access to $500 handshakes and they are using them? lol

vCash
    Haven't they been NILing for decades?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    They play Georgia and OU at home, LSU, SC, Florida, and UPig on the road. Let's dont crown them just yet

But yes- embracing the portal and NIL 2 years before us is a huge advantage
    10-2 is the benchmark for any SEC team to make the playoffs. Tough, but attainable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I would expect Juice Wells to go to Texas.

Here is the part of the portal we need to be ready for that we haven't experienced, we will be a stalking horse for a lot of solid SEC players in the portal. It is happening to the bears. I've had bear friends gloat to me via text about a kid that was "in the bag" only to have to back track because that player is on his way to Texas or FSU to get a better offer. Now, maybe they don't get it, but I would expect them to get out bid on most elite prospects, but potentially do a good job with the DB from Illinois/Indiana types that are solid, and maybe land the occasional impact player like Paul from Arkansas.

We will need to overpay for some guys so they won't leave campus. Kids like Miner from UNT, we have to overspend to lock him down.

I'm just torn on what we can do for next year. Do we save NIL money for next HS recruiting year, where it seems we are set up to have a big year in-state? Do we spend a bunch of NIL money on transfers that only have 1 year of eligibility remaining hoping for 7-8 wins?

I don't envy Coach Lebby, it is a damn tough spot when you look at the roster and realize you basically have to start from scratch on offense (i'm talking we need 11 damn starters) and on defense you probably need about 8 guys on defense assuming no one else leaves.

One thing I would stress is patience, both next year and the portal this offseason. We may not hit in the portal until after New Years, but then after the bowl games there will be another round of portal players, and if we have been patient, maybe we land some studs that other schools can't go after because they have already made their portal commitments.
    Good question. Since we missed on Gabriel, I would spend enough to go 7-5 this upcoming season. Really need to get Miner at C and some defensive guys. It takes time to build be we need a positive season.

vCash
    10-2 is the benchmark for any SEC team to make the playoffs. Tough, but attainable.
    Depends on the team. Bama or LSU go 9-3, I bet they would get in over a 10-2 Iowa team.

vCash

What is this shit? I come here to read about State and the first two threads are gushing over OM recruiting and praise for Heath. Go read On3 or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    What is this shit? I come here to read about State and the first two threads are gushing over OM recruiting and praise for Heath. Go read On3 or something.
    i feel ya!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Haven't they been NILing for decades?
    We all have yo a certain extent. Some more successfully than others.
    Last edited by Coursesuper; 12-12-2023 at 05:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    Really? It’s a legit discussion of something they got right and we didn’t. We are now playing catch up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woof View Post
    don't you mean, their sorostitues had to be forced to blow the room when things started to change? lol

AAAAARRRRRGGFGUUUUHHHHH!!!