Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kendall Rogers on head to head

vCash
    My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell’s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Allegedly, there was Schloss, then McDonnell, Godwin (which I think is horseshit) and then Butch. I'm not sure about Corbin.
    McDonnell's wife doesn't want to live in Mississippi. So much for Oxford being the most charming place on Earth!

Godwin was horseshit. Really if you look at Kendall Rogers quote about him all he said "Cliff Godwin would be a good person for MSU to look at". And then the next day Godwin makes it sound like we were interested in him.

I'm not sure about Butch but I just don't think Cohen was that interested in him as a head coach. It's sort of like Henderson in that Cohen had a chance to offer him our job and never did. I think Cohen wants someone a little more energetic like Lemonis.

vCash

There was serious interst in Butch. However, once Auburn offered anted up he wasn't

looking back. This one really did involve the spouse and I'll leave it at that.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    McDonnell was never an option.
    Godwin was never a consideration or afterthought.
    Schloss was basically a done deal but something killed it.

vCash
    You may be correct, but I only heard Butch's name mentioned by fans.

vCash
    McDonnell definitely was an option, unless you're implying we weren't an option for him. He met with John, and had a lot of great things to say about Lemonis, when John asked about him.

vCash
    Don't think Cohen was to pleased about schloss contacting our recruits before anything was official either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    McDonnell was never an option.
    Godwin was never a consideration or afterthought.
    Schloss was basically a done deal but something killed it.
    Thank God that Godwin wasn't a serious candidate. After I started looking at his resume', I was not that impressed. Lemonis is hands down the better candidate between him and Godwin. I would rather have given it to GoTro than Godwin.

I did wonder how Schloss's family would take living in Starkville. I don't think he has ever coached in a small town. He basically went from Clemson to Tulane to UNLV to TCU. It would make you wonder if he would be another version of Mullen only without the chance at going to a bigger program.

vCash
    It doesn't matter - let's get on board with a great recruiter. There is nothing we can do to change it. I'd be very surprised if Lemon doesn't get the job done. Get on board. Let's just move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake 'n Bake View Post
    My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell?s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.
    All I will say from a logic perspective is that if Cohen had really been impressed with Schloss and Schloss really wanted the job there is NO WAY Cohen would have risked losing him just for the opportunity to 'talk' with McDonnell when getting McDonnell was a clear longshot. Pretty obvious Cohen had some kind of reservations about Schloss from the get go.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 06-26-2018 at 10:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Why is it so hard to believe that? Are you that naive, this is how biz is done on both sides of the equation.
    thanks for the tip Sparky, you must be a true business whizz*******************

vCash
    At least Four times since Sunday Cohen has said, sometimes instead of giving people what they really want in the present, you have to give them what they need for the long term.

That's code for not only why LeMo was the choice, but why Schloss was not the choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    All I will say from a logic perspective is that if Cohen had really been impressed with Schloss and Schloss really wanted the job there is NO WAY Cohen would have risked losing him just for the opportunity to 'talk' with McDonnell when getting McDonnell was a clear longshot. Pretty obvious Cohen had some kind of reservations about Schloss from the get go.
    Honestly, it's always a good practice to go through a thorough interview process. McDonnell is a very good coach in his own right. And probably in interviewing him may have helped lead us to Lemonis.

vCash
    Even if there weren't any personal issues, I think that Schloss' actions upset and embarrassed Cohen, and thus that bridge was burned for any future negotiations.

vCash
    If all this is true, Schloss sounds like a bit of a head case. That’s just straight up weird to go around Omaha telling people you messed up and wanted the job. It’s also shady as hell to release that he withdrew his name to the media. Also, the last thing you need is some damn demsnding diva with Cohen as AD. Sounds like the two wouldn’t have gotten along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Even if there weren't any personal issues, I think that Schloss' actions upset and embarrassed Cohen, and thus that bridge was burned for any future negotiations.
    I think you?re right and a lot of fans are missing a very plausible, open explanation. Cohen clearly appreciates a low key search and probably expressed to Schloss that he was going to announce at end of our season. Schloss thinks he?s the guy and starts leaking to his friends and people in the college baseball community, starts calling recruits, etc. Cohen clearly isn?t overly involved in the day-to-day, but he needs to have control over his coaches, and Schloss wasn?t snapping into line. On the other hand, Schloss didn?t promise a guy like Schloss, Cohen did. Cohen made this a national search and you invite chaos when you do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    thanks for the tip Sparky, you must be a true business whizz*******************
    About the response I would expect here these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake 'n Bake View Post
    My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell’s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.
    Yes, I think this is how it went more then anything. I think Lemonis would do better then Thompson and Schloss here. I think McDonnell would do similar things here. I think McDonnell gave serious thought to coming to MSU but decided he wanted to try to win a national championship at Louisville. He definitely pointed Cohen in Lemonis’ direction and the rest there is history. I think this hire completely went by cultural fit. Lemonis is a great fit and is a great coach. I don’t think Schloss was a good cultural fit here for whatever reason.

vCash
    It's all rumors and nobody really knows for sure what went on outside of John Cohen. That includes the people he interviewed. On to football season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Well this is gonna Make some folks unhappy. Kendall said schloss wanted more money (his guess was around 1.6). Cohen wouldn?t agree to it and later schloss wanted to come back to the negotiating table and Cohen wouldn?t.
    I listened to the interview. He didn?t say Schloss wanted $1.6. What he said was he wasn?t sure if Cohen wanted to set the precedent of having the highest paid baseball coach. He probably wanted more then the $1.8 we had offered him (maybe even wanting to be a $2 mil guy). I doubt we wanted to go that high and due diligence probably pulled up some things that soured us on him. But we didn?t lose him because we wouldn?t pay him $1.6.