I don't understand why they didn't lose more scholarships either. But there is no doubt that there was a lot of collateral damage done. Even being under investigation hurt them a lot and it absolutely will affect them negatively going forward. They lost millions trying to fight the NCAA- not to mention that they aren't going to be very good at football for a few years. Which costs them in the form of season tickets, apparel (people more likely to buy a new t-shirt or hat if the team is doing well), and many other things that aren't seen on the final NCAA docket. The impending 10 or so transfers are going to hurt them as well. I'm also fairly certain Luke won't be successful there and just had his best season in his career for them. Unless he gets incredibly lucky again- you'll have to excuse me for not believing that beating Kentucky on the last play and hurting MSU's QB as a sustainable game plan for success. And we all know how Ole Miss coaching tenures end- usually with a massive bridge being burned.

Yes, they probably will keep cheating- but they're going to have to be a lot more careful about it. Or they're going to have to spend more millions fighting the NCAA again. At least until 2020.

They also won't be going up against Dan Mullen in recruiting which to be honest was a big factor in why they were able to recruit certain position groups well in state- like WR and o-line specifically- but didn't fare nearly as well on the defensive side of the ball where most of Dan's best recruiters were.