Tenn 5
    Mississippi 5
    UPig 4
    SC 4
    Auburn 3
    Vandy 2
    Kentucky 1
    State 1

There are about 265 OL jobs in the NFL- 65 from the SEC. We have a Croom recruit- Gabe Jackson

Looking at the numbers- the winningest teams in the SEC recently have the most.
    Also- roughly 25% of the NFL's OL guys are from the SEC. Shows the importance of OL recruiting for playing winning football.
    As I have stated in other threads, I absolutely believe there are THREE things that will prevent the MSU program under Mullen from ever truly becoming above "pretty good". And when I say that meaning ever becoming a program that could consistently win 9-10 games per year.

1. Recruiting - Mullen nor his staff really embrace it like you need to in order to become elite and really Mullen himself is not that great at it (ask Tim Tebow). You have to give props to the UNM coaches in the sense that even without the cheating part they eat, sleep and drink recruiting. On the positive side we have at least added some guys in the recruiting office that hopefully will help.
    2. Defensive Continuity - You can't build any consistency on that side of the ball when you can't keep a DC in place for more than one year at a time. I don't know any highly successful program that transitions the staff on defense at the rate we do.
    3. John Hevesy - 'nuf said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    From '09-'14, auburn had 2 olinemen drafted. During that time, auburn won a natty and was a runner up.

Auburn has had 1 NFL olineman drafted the last 2 years and they haven't been real good.

Not sure olinemen are the key factor is their success
    They also had a losing season and went 6-6 last year. Their lack of guys on the OL has caused them inconsistency. They also play a quality opponent each year OOC- plus Georgia. We play A weak OOC usually and Kentucky
    Last edited by Random Poster; 09-28-2016 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, but it's not like we have really produced a huge number of OL to begin with. Jackie had a run with Brent Smith, Randy Thomas, and Pork Chop on those late 90s teams. But, before or since what big OL talent has there been at MSU? Kent Hull?

It's something that has plagued MSU for a long time.
    This is patently false. State had a reputation for having a big, physical offensive line going back many years. Jackie's offensive lines were always good - they were built to support what we did best as a football team - run the ball, play the field position game, control time of possession, and play defense. Croom even had decent offensive lines.

I think a big part of our problem is scheme. It's a lot harder to zone block and get out in space to block down on screens if you have big, slow, lumbering offensive linemen. If we were more committed to running the ball and blocking downhill, our offensive line would probably be better.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Is Hev your wife or are you his?***

Kidding of course, but your agenda seems to be pushing that someone else has an agenda.
    No im just saying you have to look at the macro view vs the micro view. The d has actually been a lot bigger issue for us the past 3 years than the offense. Yes I do blame Dan for not keeping d coordinator. With that being said, the way we recruit isn't each position coach is responsible for his position but instead for his territorial area. Everyone forgets hevs was the one who found Dak for state also.
    Last edited by WinningIsRelentless; 09-28-2016 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    No im just saying you have to look at the micro view vs the macro view. The d has actually been a lot bigger issue for us the past 3 years than the offense. Yes I do blame Dan for not keeping d coordinator. With that being said, the way we recruit isn't each position coach is responsible for his position but instead for his territorial area. Everyone forgets hevs was the one who found Dak for state also.
    That's a fair point on Dak, but Mullen gets the credit for recruiting him. That was a QB & QB coach recruitment.

I do agree on defense being the main issue, but having an OL helps a defense a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    This is patently false. State had a reputation for having a big, physical offensive line going back many years. Jackie's offensive lines were always good - they were built to support what we did best as a football team - run the ball, play the field position game, control time of possession, and play defense. Croom even had decent offensive lines.

I think a big part of our problem is scheme. It's a lot harder to zone block and get out in space to block down on screens if you have big, slow, lumbering offensive linemen. If we were more committed to running the ball and blocking downhill, our offensive line would probably be better.
    I was going by the criteria laid out by the OP - OL in the league. Other than all of the guys I listed being in the NFL at the same time we have never had more than 1 or 2 OL in the league at the same time. That is a fact.

Archimedes
    vCash
    That's a fair point on Dak, but Mullen gets the credit for recruiting him. That was a QB & QB coach recruitment.

I do agree on defense being the main issue, but having an OL helps a defense a lot.
    Having a defense that can get stops and off the field helps a ol a lot more than having a ol helps a d. The more reps in a shorter period of time a d and dl has to play the better your o and ol will look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Graduate transfer... I may have missed another though
    Cooper was a Juco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I was going by the criteria laid out by the OP - OL in the league. Other than all of the guys I listed being in the NFL at the same time we have never had more than 1 or 2 OL in the league at the same time. That is a fact.
    And I think it's a flawed criteria. The league drafts players not only on performance at the college level, but on measurables and potential. They have to do this because there are so many things done schematically at the college level that aren't done at the pro level. We don't need to recruit guys that are pro prospects on the offensive line....we need to do a better job of recruiting guys who fit our scheme. I agree we need to improve. But using the stat about how many make it to the league is a flawed comparison in my opinion.

I think a way to make those numbers more relevant is to break out the number - of the ones that made the league, how many became pro-bowl players, how many were journeymen, and how many were just backups/practice squad players. In a lot of cases, pro teams will take a flier on an otherwise undeserving offensive lineman if he came from a powerhouse program - especially from the SEC or Big 10.
    Last edited by Bubb Rubb; 09-28-2016 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    And I think it's a flawed criteria. The league drafts players not only on performance at the college level, but on measurables and potential. They have to do this because there are so many things done schematically at the college level that aren't done at the pro level. We don't need to recruit guys that are pro prospects on the offensive line....we need to do a better job of recruiting guys who fit our scheme. I agree we need to improve. But using the stat about how many make it to the league is a flawed comparison in my opinion.

I think a way to make those numbers more relevant is to break out the number - of the ones that made the league, how many became pro-bowl players, how many were journeymen, and how many were just backups/practice squad players. In a lot of cases, pro teams will take a flier on an otherwise undeserving offensive lineman if he came from a powerhouse program - especially from the SEC or Big 10.
    I don't disagree. Random established the criteria in the OP. I was just adding context. I guess I should have added "your measurement sucks" in my original post?***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    As I have stated in other threads, I absolutely believe there are THREE things that will prevent the MSU program under Mullen from ever truly becoming above "pretty good". And when I say that meaning ever becoming a program that could consistently win 9-10 games per year.

1. Recruiting - Mullen nor his staff really embrace it like you need to in order to become elite and really Mullen himself is not that great at it (ask Tim Tebow). You have to give props to the UNM coaches in the sense that even without the cheating part they eat, sleep and drink recruiting. On the positive side we have at least added some guys in the recruiting office that hopefully will help.
    2. Defensive Continuity - You can't build any consistency on that side of the ball when you can't keep a DC in place for more than one year at a time. I don't know any highly successful program that transitions the staff on defense at the rate we do.
    This man gets it.

vCash

Exactly my view.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Having a defense that can get stops and off the field helps a ol a lot more than having a ol helps a d. The more reps in a shorter period of time a d and dl has to play the better your o and ol will look.
    Or you could argue that continually grounding out first downs with a good running games keeps your defense off the field and fresh.

vCash
    Not many of those guys made the league. We had a big OL, but not many NFL guys.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    This year, UGA is a good example of what can happen with poor O-Line play. They will get slaughtered against any team that has an above average D Line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Freeze has 2 in the NFL after only 4 years of coaching. Don't forget Cooper
    And Bradley Sowell. I don't agree with you much, but I agree with you here.

vCash

Define conristently. Bc we've won 9 or more three of last six years.

There are a lot more issues they will keep us from winning 9 or more every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    This year, UGA is a good example of what can happen with poor O-Line play. They will get slaughtered against any team that has an above average D Line.
    That is exactly right.
    The three teams combined the past three seasons we have one win against Bama, LSU and UNM.. With an adequate offensive line we would compete with them, but with poor o line play getting dominated by their d lines we are 1-8... When most of our offensive plays don't have a chance of working without improvisation by the QB, we have been noncompetitive in these games.
    For anyone belly-aching 'agenda', then the truth hurts don't it?
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

Archimedes
    vCash
    Or you could argue that continually grounding out first downs with a good running games keeps your defense off the field and fresh.
    You could but that's not our offense anymore. Like most teams we look for explosive plays to score on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    And UGA consistantly has top 10 recruiting classes... so what's the point of the OP and this thread? That Mullen can't recruit?