Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny Diaz changed HOW we tackle

vCash

Manny Diaz changed HOW we tackle

According to OOB, Diaz has implement Pete Carroll's "Seahawk tackling". It's a shoulder tackling fundamental where you don't use your head as I understand. The thinking is that it's safer. Mario Hagan says he does not agree with it.

So if anyone is wondering why MSU's tackling has been bad, thank Manny Diaz for changing the way guys have tackled their whole like this offseason.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 09-21-2015 at 09:38 AM.

vCash
    to be fair our tackling was awful at the end of last year also.

vCash
    The coaches can teach safer tackling during the offseason and that is good, but in the middle of the game instincts kick in and I promise our players are not thinking "hawk tackle". It's not like our players will give up a sure tackle bc they are trying to "hawk tackle". I'm sure every coach teaches a form of the "hawk tackle", it's just safer tackling. All I'm saying is all our missed tackles are not due to "unsuccessful hawk tackling".

vCash
    Does that technique involve swatting at the opposing player and then falling at their feet - because if it does, we are doing it to perfection.

vCash
    I think it will be fine.

We'll tackle well when need to. We only gave up 21 points against LSU & that's the only game that's mattered thus far. We'll tackle well this weekend.

IMO, tackling is an attitude & against crappy team, you just aren't going to play with the same emotion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think it will be fine.

We'll tackle well when need to. We only gave up 21 points against LSU & that's the only game that's mattered thus far. We'll tackle well this weekend.

IMO, tackling is an attitude & against crappy team, you just aren't going to play with the same emotion
    See I'm not buying that. Tackling isnt dependent on the opponent. That's like saying Dak's accuracy is only great when he's amped for a big game. Execution is execution.

This is what it comes down to for me: Bad tackling is either (A) a talent issue or (B) A technique issue which is coaching.

I like MSU defensive talent so what does that leave me with? A new Pete Carroll tackling fundamental...

vCash
    This is the "Dak leaner = more pass-centric offense" thread version number 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    See I'm not buying that. Tackling isnt dependent on the opponent. That's like saying Dak's accuracy is only great when he's amped for a big game. Execution is execution.

This is what it comes down to for me: Bad tackling is either (A) a talent issue or (B) A technique issue which is coaching.

I like MSU defensive talent so what does that leave me with? A new Pete Carroll tackling fundamental...
    Tackling should be like breathing for a starting SEC defensive player. I'm just not buying the "technique" issue

vCash

Calling this tackling technique an appeal to only safety is not true; it's also designed to be more effective as well. I would argue the Seahawks are the best tackling team in the NFL, and I think the technique absolutely has merit.

There may be an issue in guys not being used to the technique enough to do it effectively yet, and there may be an issue in guys reverting to old techniques in games, as someone else suggested.

But once this becomes second nature, we should be a better tackling team.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    There was a thread about hawk tackling a month or so ago where I posted Pete Carroll's video on the subject. It was interesting stuff. If you missed that, here's an article about the technique from the Seattle Seahawks' SBNation site that also talks about how Ohio State adopted the technique last season. They interviewed OSU's co-DC about it and he has some good input about their transition during their first year of the change. Apparently they had some issues with tackling in 2013 that helped spur the move in 2014.

vCash

They had as good, if not better, talent last year and tackling was an issue then too.

vCash
    I could be wrong but I think we did the "Hawk tackling" last year as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    This is the "Dak leaner = more pass-centric offense" thread version number 2.
    We've been more pass centric so far so I feel good about everything I've said regarding that.

vCash
    We've been more pass centric so far so I feel good about everything I've said regarding that.
    Check your Twitter DM's, Beast.

vCash
    It is true up to now, but do you honestly believe we are throwing more because Dak is slimmer? No, it's because our run game has struggled.

You have both of the effects right, yes we are throwing more and are struggling with tackling, but you're causes are off. Poor run game>>>more passing; bad tacklers>>>bad tackling. It's obvious our two biggest issues are tackling and running the football. Scheme around your weaknesses, it's called coaching. I have faith in Mullen though, as should everyone. Just need to see some adjustments.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDawg92 View Post
    It is true up to now, but do you honestly believe we are throwing more because Dak is slimmer? No, it's because our run game has struggled.

You have both of the effects right, yes we are throwing more and are struggling with tackling, but you're causes are off. Poor run game>>>more passing; bad tacklers>>>bad tackling. It's obvious our two biggest issues are tackling and running the football. Scheme around your weaknesses, it's called coaching. I have faith in Mullen though, as should everyone. Just need to see some adjustments.
    Do you think the bad tackling has anything to do with going against an offense with a poor run game in practice? It seems in some cases when a team has lack of physicality on offense it carries over to the defense.

vCash

No. As I explained in an article and in that thread, everyone at MSU anticipated this w/the OL & departure of JRob and Dak did everything to prepare himself to throw the ball more and more accurately. It's about playing to your strengths.

vCash
    To quote the great Bill Parcells....."Stupid loses more games, than smart wins".

Banned
    vCash

We are throwing more because all of our biggest playmakers on offense are our receivers. For the first time maybe ever, our personnel is more suited to pass to open up the run instead of the other way around.

Teams have stacked the box against Dak since the middle of last season (around the Arkansas game) and kept a spy on Dak in most cases to contain him in the running game. People think this just started this year, but Dak has largely been a nonfactor in the running game against SEC opponents for a while. Other than Vandy, name a time starting with Arkansas last year and going all the way through the LSU game this year where Dak has had a run longer than 7 or 8 yards.

Dan is doing the logical thing and trying to throw teams out of the box. Until someone emerges at RB or our OL gets much better at run blocking, that needs to be our gameplan. Its the only way we've been able to move the ball against any decent defenses in the past 11 months.

vCash
    No. As I explained in an article and in that thread, everyone at MSU anticipated this w/the OL & departure of JRob and Dak did everything to prepare himself to throw the ball more and more accurately. It's about playing to your strengths.
    So you're saying from as far back as last spring Mullen knew that we would not be able to run the ball? I understand playing to your strengths, but if you already know your weaknesses a year in advance, why not do something about it? I hate to use this example, but Freeze recognized he had a major weakness at QB for 2015, so he went out and did something about it. Why did we not recruit a JUCO RB if we saw this weakness coming from a year away? I would love to have Vick Ballard in there right now. I do have confidence that the OL will gel, and maybe Shump has been in there so much to kinda shadow Warren at LT to protect Dak's blindside, but on running downs we need our best ball carrier out there, period.