Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chris Doring say

vCash
    Our OL is still working to gel- but it's a more physical group than last year's was.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Star View Post
    Until proven otherwise, offensive line is a valid concern. I have no concerns about the rest of the team, but offensive line concerns me, seeing as how I consider it the most important piece of the team.
    And again, I think this is reasonable in general, but when looking at Mullen's tenure, it's hard for me to get very concerned about the OL. Just about every line we've had under him has been fine, so until this one is not, I won't worry about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Star View Post
    Until proven otherwise, offensive line is a valid concern. I have no concerns about the rest of the team, but offensive line concerns me, seeing as how I consider it the most important piece of the team.
    I agree. I think we're pretty solid everywhere else, except maybe our kicking game. I hope it has improved a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    And again, I think this is reasonable in general, but when looking at Mullen's tenure, it's hard for me to get very concerned about the OL. Just about every line we've had under him has been fine, so until this one is not, I won't worry about it.
    I don't know why so many of our "fans" can't grasp this. I'll get worried when we don't field a viable OL. Considering that hasn't happened in 6 seasons, it's much more reasonable to believe our OL will be good than to believe it will suck. I'm convinced about half these posters are trolls.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I don't know why so many of our "fans" can't grasp this. I'll get worried when we don't field a viable OL. Considering that hasn't happened in 6 seasons, it's much more reasonable to believe our OL will be good than to believe it will suck. I'm convinced about half these posters are trolls.
    I guess it's taking some of these guys longer than it took me to realize it....and it took me a while. I was skeptical of our OL talent for several years, but it stopped last season. And the reason why, was because no matter how much I kept questioning it, Hev and the OL kept proving me wrong by running it on everybody and preventing sacks. At the end of the day, we can "assume", "worry", "question", and "doubt" all we want...but if history is a lesson, Hevesy will just keep making us look stupid for doing it. So I no longer worry at all about our OL. They'll have to give me a reason to doubt them, Bc I have total faith in Hevesy at this point. And I could not say that for many many years. They'll all come around when we're stout again this year on the OL.

vCash
    Didn't hurt that both UNM and Bama we decided to take a long bus ride to the stadium gameday as opposed to staying in town. Looked like our entire team had a lag because of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I guess it's taking some of these guys longer than it took me to realize it....and it took me a while. I was skeptical of our OL talent for several years, but it stopped last season. And the reason why, was because no matter how much I kept questioning it, Hev and the OL kept proving me wrong by running it on everybody and preventing sacks. At the end of the day, we can "assume", "worry", "question", and "doubt" all we want...but if history is a lesson, Hevesy will just keep making us look stupid for doing it. So I no longer worry at all about our OL. They'll have to give me a reason to doubt them, Bc I have total faith in Hevesy at this point. And I could not say that for many many years. They'll all come around when we're stout again this year on the OL.
    I think we'll be fine on the oline. My worry is if they'll be ready to roll week 2 though.

My bigger concern for week 2 is how well our dline is gonna hold up in the 3rd and 4th quarters tackling LF.

I'm gonna worry. If you don't have an worries coming into the year, you're either more plugged in than me or drinking kool aid. I think all teams have legitimate worries entering a season
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-29-2015 at 03:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Didn't hurt that both UNM and Bama we decided to take a long bus ride to the stadium gameday as opposed to staying in town. Looked like our entire team had a lag because of it.
    Excellent point that isn't talked about nearly enough. And don't even get me started on Mullen letting the team go home for Thanksgiving.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think we'll be fine on the oline. My worry is if they'll be ready to roll week 2 though.

My bigger concern for week 2 is how well our dline is gonna hold up in the 3rd and 4th quarters tackling LF.

I'm gonna worry. If you don't have an worries coming into the year, you're either more plugged in than me or drinking kool aid. I think all teams have legitimate worries entering a season
    Yes, all teams have concerns going into a new season, but for some reason, all those other teams are projected to win the West, get in the playoff..etc. But not poor little MSU. We suck until the end of time according to the media.
    Last edited by mstatefan91; 08-29-2015 at 07:48 PM.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Our OL was dogshit against Northern Miss in the 1st half last year. We were poorly prepared for all their stunts and slanting. Worst job Hev has done in his 6 years getting our guys ready
    Gonna have to disagree.

It was an entire scheme problem in Oxford last year. Arkansas gave the blueprint the week before. Also it's historically true. Run right at them.

They had 2 DE's under 220. wing opposite, motion toward that 200 Lb'er they had and pound their ass. But no, we run wide and bounce shit.

Alabama beats their ass if they keep running right at them. So would we, but for some reason didn't.

The Arky plan will beat them this year.

That, and stopping seam passes. The only big passing plays they have had under Freezus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    Who the hell is Chris Doring and how would he have "inside connections" to our program?
    Who are the people on the inside?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Yes, all teams have concerns going into a new season, but for some reason, all those other teams are projected to win the West, get in the playoff..etc. But not poor little MSU. We suck until the end of time according to the media.
    And if we beat LSU they will be all over LSU about how down they are.

vCash
    Some of you guys need to get on board. Hevesy has produced even when he had shit to work with in the past. We have more talent now then he di when he started. He does more with less then any other position during the Mullen era. We will be fine this year, because we have talent then he has had in the last 7 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    I do hope that we evaluate that better going forward. I'm in agreement with you that our team would likely perform better if they stayed somewhere overnight that is closer rather than going down on gameday. I've ridden buses many times- especially when I was about the age of our football players. And I remember feeling lagged and tired personally.

We could very easily do Meridian or Birmingham for Alabama and we could do Tupelo for Ole Miss- although I think Jackie had us staying in Grenada sometimes. Probably to get game plan ideas from Coach34.

And as WMD mentioned- us taking Thanksgiving completely off a couple of days before the biggest football game in Mississippi was just stupid. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to hope that it was a ploy by Scott and Dan to have our team come out flat, but still win in hopes of convincing our fans to move the Egg Bowl to Thanksgiving Day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Some of you guys need to get on board. Hevesy has produced even when he had shit to work with in the past. We have more talent now then he di when he started. He does more with less then any other position during the Mullen era. We will be fine this year, because we have talent then he has had in the last 7 years.
    I agree. People need to quit paying attention to stars with offensive linemen moreso than any other position. Hevesey has a good idea for talent and also for what he wants to work with. Derek Sherrod and Gabe Jackson were high draft picks that he coached for us. And it's pretty rare for our o-line guys that start to not get at least a free agent look in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
    Interior. I want to be upfront that I have no personal knowledge. Just something I heard from someone more tied in than me
    Yep, just like "shots fired were heard" few days ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Excellent point that isn't talked about nearly enough. And don't even get me started on Mullen letting the team go home for Thanksgiving.
    Because it was a non factor.

Tuscaloosa is an easy, 4 lane 70-80 minute drive. Unless we had a bus break down and we had to rush off the bus and onto the field for kickoff, it didnt factor.

EB, there isn't a hotel anywhere around North MS that is as comfortable as our own beds and can feed the team like MSU. Not to mention meeting rooms and etc.

vCash
    All day long, everyday this will hold true. We are in the sec west. Somebody will always be a hard match up. Always. Bama slowed our run. We had to fight through that. Same with ole miss.

That's when great coaching and players step up. In those games, we did not do that. Dak mismanaged the game in t town. You won't play Bama and win with those type of turnovers. Vs gt, Lewis dropped pass after pass...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Haha, y'all think Doering was told something like that by people "inside the program"? Bull. Shit.

So we told a nobody from Florida, but DIDN'T tell McElroy, or any of the legit SECN guys?

Let me tell you what happened. Bo Bounds talked to Doering about us having to replace some O-Lineman, and that transformed into "people inside MSU's program say the OL will be down".

Y'all are crazy if you take these comments to heart, and I'm usually one of our most skeptical fans that keeps my expectations tempered. I DO think our fan base needs to temper things slightly, but not Bc of Chris effing Doering. He's a nobody that knows nothing.

Our OL will be fine, Bc it's about scheme and assignments, not blowing people off the ball. So we'll stay fine at OL. We will likely take a small step back in our DL, simply due to depth, but our OL is FINE. Besides, nothing helps an OL like a good passing game, a dual threat QB, and the ability to be multiple at RB.

The OP in this thread is very misleading too...that's not what Doering said. But again, who cares what Doering said?
    Yep. We could have a 260 lb OL and still run the ball in our set. Pass blocking may be another issue, but there are ways to make up for that. Run blocking will never be our biggest problem as long as we're running this scheme. It's too easy to work around unless you have guys that shouldn't be playing D1 football.

Pass blocking? There's no hiding that but at least we have one of, if not the, best dual threat QB in the nation taking snaps.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    And once again people are overlooking one very important factor, especially for an inexperienced O Line..... A mobile QB!!! The defenses will have to play straight up, taking all 11 offensive players into account on each play. Add in the experience factor and Dak, our WR's and play calling should take enough heat off of the OL until they come together for the final playoff stretch.

Haven't we heard "Our OLine is struggling" every preseason since the beginningg of MSU football? Let's stop letting all these hot air filled talking heads and keep some reason amongst us.