Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Hudson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    while he throws harder than anyone we have, it has no movement. None
    I keep hearing this same issue too. That won't cut it at this level if true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    #8 nationally. Over 5 years. Want to go through the teams above us in terms of lottery states, academic reputations, etc? We do more with less than anyone in the country on the hill.

Breaking it down how you are comes off as just bitching for the sake of bitching. Would I love to have a Nola/Beede that is day 1 elite for 3 years? Absolutely I would and have clamored for it before. But it's a stretch to complain about guys that didn't work out while the staff is considered nationally elite and the pitching coach was national assistant of the year THIS PAST SEASON...
    First, you have a low threshold on "bitching". I'm certainly not bitching and definitely support Butch as our pitching coach. The OP asked about Dakota and my response is that there are a certain number of pitchers that have not developed well under Butch even though they were talented and MLB baseball still wanted them in the end (the 3 I mentioned that didn't produce in our program all left as drafted JRs). Doesn't mean he's not a good pitching coach or hasn't gotten us overall very good results (though I am a little concerned about what this different baseball is going to do to our pitching stats given what we've seen so far this year), just means that if Hudson or McCord or whoever doesn't become all they were touted to be coming into our program out of HS then you shouldn't be shocked. Its happened before and will likely happen again. But yes, if we stay overall productive on the mound I'm willing to live with that because there have been guys like a Kendall Graveman, Girodo and others who were not highly touted that blossomed under Butch even though it took a while.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 04-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.

vCash
    He still has control issues and yes he throws straight. They hit him hard sometimes. He needs to keep working.

vCash
    Well a couple things, one who he has pitched against. Second, he can't get our hitters out in intersquad. And clearly, his bullpens haven't lit the world up. while he throws harder than anyone we have, it has no movement. None
    He did fine against South Carolina today. Heck, he was better than anyone else today.

It doesn't matter what his bullpens look like if he keeps performing in game.

If you throw hard, you can afford to have a little bit less movement- especially in short stints out of the bullpen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I'm talking guys like Devin Jones, Brandon Woodruff, Evan Mitchell, etc. Guys that were talented enough to get drafted out of our program but gave us almost nothing in the way of production. As you stated, there is another list of guys that we got one good year out of.
    Yep. Brandon Woodruff is the poster child for high ceiling guys who never developed. And Chris Stratton is the same for the One Good Year group.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Yep. Brandon Woodruff is the poster child for high ceiling guys who never developed. And Chris Stratton is the same for the One Good Year group.
    Butch couldn't develop a guy with a broken arm? FIRE BUTCH!!!!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He did fine against South Carolina today. Heck, he was better than anyone else today.

If you throw hard, you can afford to have a little bit less movement- especially in short stints out of the bullpen.
    He had a k a hit and a dp. And the game wasn't on the line. And unless u are 95+, all no movement does is get u slaughtered. Trust me, I faced all types and can tell you which matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    So you named 2. Congrats. And Stratton was decent his fr year, but we had to pitch him more than necessary because we had nobody else

vCash

Sooooooo you think he can throw like shit in a bullpen w no batter and kill it in a game? W no movement and a below avg breaking ball? Come on.

vCash
    Butch couldn't develop a guy with a broken arm? FIRE BUTCH!!!!**
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Sooooooo you think he can throw like shit in a bullpen w no batter and kill it in a game? W no movement and a below avg breaking ball? Come on.
    Ever see someone that was better in a real game that sucked in practice? I value what someone does in a real game over the bullpen.

He's better than Daniel Brown right now- and Brown keeps getting chance after chance after chance.

vCash
    Ever see someone that was better in a real game that sucked in practice? I value what someone does in a real game over the bullpen.

He's better than Daniel Brown right now- and Brown keeps getting chance after chance after chance.
    He's better than Daniel brown and you know that how? Because of today? ...as for the bullpen vs a game, sure, but not after he gets shelled all fall and spring. So no. Not him. His chances besides against valley or who the f ever haven't been good either.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Hudson has been garbage. Brown has 1 better outing than him. They both need more seasoning. Don't give a shit how hard they throw. They aren't game ready. Both of them could add something huge for us next year but it will be next year.

vCash
    He's better than Daniel brown and you know that how? Because of today? ...as for the bullpen vs a game, sure, but not after he gets shelled all fall and spring. So no. Not him. His chances besides against valley or who the f ever haven't been good either.
    Because of how both have performed this season. Look at the SEC stats of Brown and Hudson- which is a relevant comparison because both have the same amount of IP in the same league.

Hudson- 4.50 ERA 2 IP, 3 hits allowed, 1 run allowed 4 K's, 0 walks, teams are hitting .333

Brown- 13.50 ERA 2 IP, 7 hits allowed, 3 earned runs allowed (8 total), 3 K's, 3 walks, teams are hitting .583 against him.

You know as well as I do that Hudson struggled with back issues in the fall. When you can't follow through, you're going to leave pitches up and even our JUCO all-stars are going to rip that.

Hudson has had 6 appearances- and he dominated lesser competition- Cincinnati, and Alcorn, did well against a decent Samford team, had his worst outing against San Diego in a game where everyone else in the pen melted down which are weighing Hudson's stats down, and then allowed a run against UK and did fine today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Hudson has been garbage. Brown has 1 better outing than him. They both need more seasoning. Don't give a shit how hard they throw. They aren't game ready. Both of them could add something huge for us next year but it will be next year.
    Brown is a talented pitcher. His issue is he has to learn to let something that doesn't go his way go- like giving up a hit or a home run. He has to learn how to move past that and go get the next hitter.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    More seasoning

Banned
    vCash

#NailedIt

vCash
    Hudson's flat 95 ain't gonna get shelled any worse than Ross's flat 75, yet we keep trotting goof troop out there to take a beating. Give Hudson some innings (like Brown, Ross, Houston, etc) and he may surprise. Again, no reason not to at this point, bc he can't be worse than what we're sending out there game after game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Hudson's flat 95 ain't gonna get shelled any worse than Ross's flat 75, yet we keep trotting goof troop out there to take a beating. Give Hudson some innings (like Brown, Ross, Houston, etc) and he may surprise. Again, no reason not to at this point, bc he can't be worse than what we're sending out there game after game.
    That may be true, but don't you think Ross sort of earned his innings????? Just maybe? Hudson hasn't earned crap except getting shelled in the fall and spring. McCord has an arm issue, so he's out for now or maybe the year. Don't know some speculation on the year. But I'm just tired of all the Hudson ass kissing. He more than has his shot a year ago. Just like sexton. Sexton improved, hudson hasn't. I'm not sayin I'm done w hudson, but I'm on butch's side on this one. All day.

vCash
    That may be true, but don't you think Ross sort of earned his innings????? Just maybe? Hudson hasn't earned crap except getting shelled in the fall and spring. McCord has an arm issue, so he's out for now or maybe the year. Don't know some speculation on the year. But I'm just tired of all the Hudson ass kissing. He more than has his shot a year ago. Just like sexton. Sexton improved, hudson hasn't. I'm not sayin I'm done w hudson, but I'm on butch's side on this one. All day.
    But again, that is very explainable by Hudson's back injury setting him back. It's not like people are advocating that Hudson should start over Tatum or Sexton. Most of us want Dakota to give us an inning or two out of the bullpen on the weekend. Which given our bullpens struggles would be extremely helpful given Ross and Daniel Brown's struggles.

Even with Hudson's injury and everything, he has made progress over last year. His walks are way down and even in limited playing time he has already exceeded his strike out total from last year. And even with his freshman growing pains, he still managed to have a lower ERA than Sexton and Tatum last year. So, it's hard to say that he blew his opportunity while Sexton and Tatum were just obviously better. Because they weren't.

Honestly, to me it sounds like Dakota would sign an autograph for your kid or something. Or even worse- Butch doesn't like him on a personal level or something which I hope isn't the case given Hudson's upside.