Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
Hmmm, statistically each of the last 2 seasons we've been below average (8th to 11th IIRC) in SEC only SLG% and OBP. This season we're right at average BUT we've faced slightly below SEC average pitching staffs too so it's too early to tell.

But we supposedly keep getting good classes and have decent NIL. You follow that more than me so I'll ask you- do we have the 9th (give or take) best talent in the SEC? If our talent is better than that then Jake G is under performing.

I don't think he's the WORST hitting coach but I think he's probably below average by SEC standards
I think the way he approaches things makes our hitting stats a bit worse than they should be but at the same time his methods play up in the postseason typically when it matters most. If you look at and go off of stats you have to say he is underperforming but then you look at how we perform in games that matter more and we perform more than OK and probably up to our talent level.

He has more of a pro approach to things when we would probably be much better if we had a Campbell University approach to hitting where power is still a huge component but so is getting on base any way possible. If we had that approach we would probably have a lot fewer head scratching midweek losses.

One thing people forget about Gautreau- he was brought in by Cann to be more of an assistant hitting coach with Cann being the primary guy. As much as anything he was brought in for talent evaluation. His connection to Cann was a big reason why he was retained after everything hit the fan. Because we obviously couldn't keep Cann.