Thread: Kayak fishing

vCash

Kayak fishing

Alright guys I?m about to make the move. My in-laws just bought a new place on a private lake that is a no outboard lake. I?ve been wanting to try kayak fishing for a while and I think this is as good of a reason I can think of. I need some do?s and don?ts. Help me out guys. Let?s see some rigs so I can get some ideas. That?s in advance

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    Alright guys I?m about to make the move. My in-laws just bought a new place on a private lake that is a no outboard lake. I?ve been wanting to try kayak fishing for a while and I think this is as good of a reason I can think of. I need some do?s and don?ts. Help me out guys. Let?s see some rigs so I can get some ideas. That?s in advance

You can spend as little or as much as you want, but I promise you, it's a blast. I fly fish, and fly fishing out of the kayak is so much fun. You can go anywhere, it's not a lot of hard work if you don't want it to be, and catching fish on a kayak is better than anything else in my opinion.

I didn't go too crazy and got a Pelican Catch 100. You can stand up if you want to, but I never really see the need. Just look for something that's stable, has some storage and the ability to put whatever on it that you want.

vCash
    Do's- do it
    Dont's- dont not do it

Space gave you some good advice. My biggest advice for a first time kayak purchase is the seat. Get the best seat you can. Comfort while fishing is more important than paddling or stability in my opinion. If you like it, you figure out what you like and don't like and you'll accessorize and/or upgrade. I've been kayak fishing 6 years now and I'm on my 4th kayak. It's a Native Watercraft Slayer Propel. I have it rigged to the gills. It's a true machine that I take anywhere. The Rez, state lakes, Ms coast, South La, etc... I started on a Pelican Castaway for a cpl months and immediately upgraded to a Ascend 128t. After 2 years upgraded to a KC K12 and went the motorized route. Got in to tournament fishing and ditched the trolling motor for a peddle drive. Couldn't be happier. Incredible fishing platform and a ton of damn fun. The boat control with the Native prop drive is 2nd to none. I can fish this boat in the wind so much easier than pre pedle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Do's- do it
    Dont's- dont not do it

Space gave you some good advice. My biggest advice for a first time kayak purchase is the seat. Get the best seat you can. Comfort while fishing is more important than paddling or stability in my opinion. If you like it, you figure out what you like and don't like and you'll accessorize and/or upgrade. I've been kayak fishing 6 years now and I'm on my 4th kayak. It's a Native Watercraft Slayer Propel. I have it rigged to the gills. It's a true machine that I take anywhere. The Rez, state lakes, Ms coast, South La, etc... I started on a Pelican Castaway for a cpl months and immediately upgraded to a Ascend 128t. After 2 years upgraded to a KC K12 and went the motorized route. Got in to tournament fishing and ditched the trolling motor for a peddle drive. Couldn't be happier. Incredible fishing platform and a ton of damn fun. The boat control with the Native prop drive is 2nd to none. I can fish this boat in the wind so much easier than pre pedle

When you get ready to upgrade again, you let me know and I'll come grab yours! Thing is awesome!

I'll be upgrading soon. Two small kids has taken my fishing down to a minimum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    When you get ready to upgrade again, you let me know and I'll come grab yours! Thing is awesome!

I'll be upgrading soon. Two small kids has taken my fishing down to a minimum.
    I got 2 under 4 with another on the way so I know the feeling! I find a way to fish once a week typically. It's my sanity pills

vCash
    I got 2 under 4 with another on the way so I know the feeling! I find a way to fish once a week typically. It's my sanity pills
    2 under 4 here as well... I need to get on your level and get out once a week.

vCash
    Keep it simple for your first one. You may hate it. Like Beast said, seat is most important. My next suggestion is getting a long paddle. A short paddle and you be slow and wet all the time. I?d get it 2nd hand. There?s $1500 kayaks on Facebook for half that price being sold by people who bought an awesome yak having never been in one before and realized it?s too much work

vCash
    Anybody do any fishing in the Jackson area?
    Last edited by SpaceWranglerDawg; 06-20-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Changed text

vCash
    Anybody do any fishing in the Jackson area?
    Me. All the time

vCash
    Me. All the time
    Sounds like it's about time for me to make a stronger effort to get back out on a regular basis.

vCash
    Sounds like it's about time for me to make a stronger effort to get back out on a regular basis.
    Shoot me a dm and we can exchange info

vCash
    SWD and Beast pretty much covered it, but count me as another DO IT vote. I fish out of my kayak more than boat. I started in 2008ish with the cheapest 10' Pelican I could get my hands on at the time. Since then, I've fished a 14' for years and now fish a Jackson Cuda 12'. To me, 12' is the perfect compromise of tracking and ease of use, etc. Like Beast mentioned, make sure you have a good seat or you won't have a good time. There's nothing like a big fish hauling you around in a yak.

ETA: Grilling some kayak caught trout right now actually.

vCash
    When it comes to YAK fishing take Beastman at his word. As long as I have been reading this form I know that he has his shit totally together on this subject.
    And Speckledawg also.
    Last edited by Offshore Dawg; 06-27-2020 at 07:40 AM.