Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Tranfers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Skenes would be such a big get.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    He's the difference in this team being pretty good and being a title contender again.

A legit Friday night ace who can DH.

A rotation of Skenes, Cade, and Gartman would be as good as anyone in the country.

And a lineup of

Larry - 2B
    Ledbetter - LF
    Hines - 1B
    Skenes - DH
    Portal CF (Bill Knight?)
    Clark - RF
    Hancock - C
    Alford - 3B
    Forsythe - SS

would be pretty stout too.
    Skenes would be huge. I'm also a little nervous about putting all of our eggs in his basket. I don't feel bad about getting him- I just don't know what he is going to do and there is competition for him.

The biggest thing to focus on is pitching. There aren't very many Friday night guys in the portal. I think Nate Dohm is going to compete for a rotation spot along with Gartman and if we get Colby Holcombe he'll be in the mix as well. We need to add at least three arms to the bullpen and one needs to be a closer type and one of the others needs to be LH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Skenes would be huge. I'm also a little nervous about putting all of our eggs in his basket. I don't feel bad about getting him- I just don't know what he is going to do and there is competition for him.

The biggest thing to focus on is pitching. There aren't very many Friday night guys in the portal. I think Nate Dohm is going to compete for a rotation spot along with Gartman and if we get Colby Holcombe he'll be in the mix as well. We need to add at least three arms to the bullpen and one needs to be a closer type and one of the others needs to be LH.
    Skenes would be huge pickup. We need arms and that's definitely gonna be the key to next year.

I'm convinced Brock Tapper is gonna help us this year as a freshman. Lefty he's got 3 pitches, fb that's low 90s, a plus breaking ball and a filthy change up and the dude has swag. I believe he's gonna be really good for us and winds up in the rotation before he leaves.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 06-28-2022 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    Kams best shot in pro ball is in the outfield. He's fast but he doesn't have much range on ground balls. He doesn't react well. His footwork is bad and hasn't improved. His skill set is more suited to the outfield. I haven't talked to one yet who projected him as an infielder. If he stays here i don't know where he'll wind up but there has been discussion about letting him have a shot in cf. There's so many moving parts right now it's really hard to get a grasp on where it's all headed. I would prefer groff or knight in cf myself. I know one thing the staff is busy trying to put this roster together and I believe we're gonna be ok.
    It may be a wait until the draft and see where things stand situation. I believe all three players we're talking about here are draft eligible. Unless Knight isn't. I know the other two definitely are. Personally if you ask me I think Kam may be better off as a utility man in pro ball because I don't know that he can really master any position. Maybe he can learn to play them decently enough that he can give himself value.

Getting Larry and Ledbetter already change the make up of our lineup- both have pop but both also have speed. Much more like what I prefer. Getting Knight or Groff only add to that.

vCash
    Skenes would be huge pickup. We need arms and that's definitely gonna be the key to next year.
    That's the thing about the portal. Most Friday night guys that are legit are not likely to leave where they are IMO unless it's someone at a small school or maybe a PAC 12 school. There just aren't a lot of options out there. Tennessee got very lucky with Dollander- actually had similar stats to Dohm when he transferred to Tennessee. We're probably just as likely to find an ace from our recruiting class like Paul Maholm in 2001 or have Holcombe come in and be the anti-Andrew Walling as we are to get someone from the portal.

vCash
    It may be a wait until the draft and see where things stand situation. I believe all three players we're talking about here are draft eligible. Unless Knight isn't. I know the other two definitely are. Personally if you ask me I think Kam may be better off as a utility man in pro ball because I don't know that he can really master any position. Maybe he can learn to play them decently enough that he can give himself value.

Getting Larry and Ledbetter already change the make up of our lineup- both have pop but both also have speed. Much more like what I prefer. Getting Knight or Groff only add to that.
    Yeah I agree on that. I also agree that Kam is a man without a real position on defense. Hes got work to do no matter where he winds up. As Cooter said it's frustrating because he has all the tools in the world and hes been a good player but the tools he has says he should be elite.

vCash
    That's the thing about the portal. Most Friday night guys that are legit are not likely to leave where they are IMO unless it's someone at a small school or maybe a PAC 12 school. There just aren't a lot of options out there. Tennessee got very lucky with Dollander- actually had similar stats to Dohm when he transferred to Tennessee. We're probably just as likely to find an ace from our recruiting class like Paul Maholm in 2001 or have Holcombe come in and be the anti-Andrew Walling as we are to get someone from the portal.
    Funny you mention that but we're in on a couple of pac12 guys too.

vCash
    Dohm is going to be a beast before he's done. I said it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Dohm is going to be a beast before he's done. I said it.
    He definitely has the stuff. I watched some videos of him and he looks really good. He's having a dang good summer too.

vCash
    This. Been trying to encourage folks to be patient.
    I watched this kid play at ECCC. This is a very good pickup! Line drive hitter with pop and can really run.
    Funny you mention that but we're in on a couple of pac12 guys too.
    Other than Hurd and Kaeting? Interesting.

vCash
    Give me the two relief pitchers and CF we're after, along with another starting pitcher or two and I'm done. But hey, give me more if we can, lol.

vCash
    Other than Hurd and Kaeting? Interesting.
    Yeah those 2. Hurd has the better upside but real concerns with that back injury that he has.

vCash
    Yeah those 2. Hurd has the better upside but real concerns with that back injury that he has.
    I'm confused. Just those two? Or those two PLUS some others??

vCash
    LSU fans pretty sure they're getting Hurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I'm confused. Just those two? Or those two PLUS some others??
    That's the 2 from the pac12, at least the 2 from there i've heard of. Yes there are others that was just the 2 from pac12.

vCash
    Hurd to LSU

vCash
    Waldrup at USM just hit the portal. Wow!

vCash
    Hurston Waldrep (so) from USM is now in the portal. Striker out 140 and only walked 33. Gotta think we are on him…. Hopefully….

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Hurston Waldrep (so) from USM is now in the portal. Striker out 140 and only walked 33. Gotta think we are on him…. Hopefully….
    ****in' better be!

vCash
    USM is going to get raped every year now with the portal. He's likely already set on where he's going, cough, Florida, cough or down that way. Maybe UGA.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 06-29-2022 at 04:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    USM is going to get raped every year now with the portal. He's likely already set on where he's going, cough, Florida, cough or down that way.
    Well that's great...