Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basketball success/fan support

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    For me, the combination of WOKE, not really being Student-Athletes and NIL, I have lost a fair amount of interest. College sports used to be fun because they were amateurs and they played, for the most part, for the fun of it and to get an education. They were paid with scholarships for a free education. Not so much anymore. Players are there for the NIL money and for the most part they are not students and because they are gunning for a shot at going pro. They shop for the coach that will get them there and not for the school and the education they are getting. To me the atmosphere is different and not in a good way! I never though I would Wayne on my love for college sports but here I am - an old grumpy man!

Another reason is like someone else said win a previous post, I'm in my mid 60s and unfortunately slowing down. A 2+ hour drive to Starkville, 2/3 hour game and then a 2+ hour drive back home is tough. I need a nap in there somewhere?

Maybe the university can build a nap room for us older folks and/or maybe offer a geriatrics bus ride to and from the game!!
    With all due respect can you please leave the woke conversation out, all it does is starts unnecessary arguments. As far as student athletes and the NIL situation, as much as we hate it, its not going anywhere.. I'm sure there will be a cap on it eventually and the rules will adjust but its here to stay in College Sports.

I understand all the points everyone is making, yes seating arrangements suck, yes mostly every game is televised, yes NIL is here but I remember the Lawrence Roberts/Timmy Bowers days, Gordon/Rhodes days even the Dee Bost/Moultrie era.. we had amazing fan support. Living here in North Carolina it doesn't matter if Duke, UNC, NC State etc. are playing Idaho school of the deaf and blind, there will be butts in the seats supporting them. I get we aren't those programs, but there was a time the Hump rocked just like the schools here do and I want to see it again, especially for this coach and team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Nothing was more fun than a packed house at the hump. From the bowers/Robert?s era thru Rhodes/gordon. It was absolute fun and excitement. Of course that was when football was terrible and the students all sat together with half of the section having good seats.

Plus the chicken toss?
    I'll never forget Charles Rhodes last time he checked out of the game. Dude loved him some MSU.

vCash
    Something that has also changed is the student participation. We used to always have 3-4K students at home games when it wasnt Christmas break. Now we dont get close to that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    With all due respect can you please leave the woke conversation out, all it does is starts unnecessary arguments. As far as student athletes and the NIL situation, as much as we hate it, its not going anywhere.. I'm sure there will be a cap on it eventually and the rules will adjust but its here to stay in College Sports.

I understand all the points everyone is making, yes seating arrangements suck, yes mostly every game is televised, yes NIL is here but I remember the Lawrence Roberts/Timmy Bowers days, Gordon/Rhodes days even the Dee Bost/Moultrie era.. we had amazing fan support. Living here in North Carolina it doesn't matter if Duke, UNC, NC State etc. are playing Idaho school of the deaf and blind, there will be butts in the seats supporting them. I get we aren't those programs, but there was a time the Hump rocked just like the schools here do and I want to see it again, especially for this coach and team.

WOKE is part of it, I am not the one pushing it, it is some athletes and most all of the media! You can not get away from it! You may chose to ignore it, but it is still there! NIL may not be going anywhere but it has changed college (so called amateur sports) to where I , and a lot of other people as well, do not care to watch it anymore. Amateur sports is dead and that is what college sports used to be! They played for a different reason than "student" athletes do today. Just look at other threads in ED and you will see "star" athletes or hopeful 1st round picks sitting out year end games. How far will they take that in the future, sit out there entire senior year? That was unheard of years ago! I do not care to watch professional sports, a bunch of spoiled, entitled, rich babies and thugs, I gave up on that several years ago. Sadly, that is where college sports is heading at an alarming rate!

vCash
    Wtf are you talking? What about our mens basketball team is ?woke?? Give one example

vCash
    I chose to stop watching Pro Ba$eball, Pro Ba$ketball, and now only watch Pro Football when Dak is playing. $ports used to be a somewhat escape from the everyday problems of the world, not so much now. With NIL/Portal, can see another choice for my $ and time, if some regulation to the college game doesn't come. Hail State!

vCash
    Nothing better than a bunch of 50 year old white men complaining that 18-21 year old black kids are getting a tiny share of a multi million dollar business. Smh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Nothing better than a bunch of 50 year old white men complaining that 18-21 year old black kids are getting a tiny share of a multi million dollar business. Smh
    Skin color has nothing to do with it! There were students of all color playing sports when I was in college and even before. That is not the issue and you know it! We are not the ones bringing race into the problem with college sports.
    Last edited by Extendedcab; 12-02-2022 at 01:19 PM.

vCash
    Skin color has nothing to do with it! There were students of all color playing sports when I was in college and even before. That is not the issue and you know it! We are not the ones bringing race into the problem with college sports.
    Well it has some to do with it. The crazy white Libs insisting a young man can swim in girl's meets because he says he is a girl is a huge part of the problem. Normalizing insanity should never be tolerated.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Not sure how that?s affecting attendance at State?s basketball game

vCash
    WOKE is part of it, I am not the one pushing it, it is some athletes and most all of the media! You can not get away from it! You may chose to ignore it, but it is still there! NIL may not be going anywhere but it has changed college (so called amateur sports) to where I , and a lot of other people as well, do not care to watch it anymore. Amateur sports is dead and that is what college sports used to be! They played for a different reason than "student" athletes do today. Just look at other threads in ED and you will see "star" athletes or hopeful 1st round picks sitting out year end games. How far will they take that in the future, sit out there entire senior year? That was unheard of years ago! I do not care to watch professional sports, a bunch of spoiled, entitled, rich babies and thugs, I gave up on that several years ago. Sadly, that is where college sports is heading at an alarming rate!
    The term "Woke" by definition refers to racism and or social injustices. Why even go down that path? Leave it alone! Like I initially said all it does is starts arguments.If you don't want to watch spoiled entitled rich thug athletes, turn the channel dont go to games and stay off any sports related message boards! It's not hard

vCash
    Wtf are you talking? What about our mens basketball team is ?woke?? Give one example
    Exactly!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I chose to stop watching Pro Ba$eball, Pro Ba$ketball, and now only watch Pro Football when Dak is playing. $ports used to be a somewhat escape from the everyday problems of the world, not so much now. With NIL/Portal, can see another choice for my $ and time, if some regulation to the college game doesn't come. Hail State!
    Yet here are you posting on a college sports message board - see ya!

vCash
    Yet here are you posting on a college sports message board - see ya!
    Still enjoy college game and will support State. Just like to see some fair regulation if possible to not become $ based like Pro leagues.

vCash
    It's always been about money to everyone else but the players, now they are getting their share. 20 years ago, there weren't million dollar salaries and billion dollar tv deals.

vCash
    Comparing us to the NC schools.... if MSU was located in those population centers AND had their history of winning.... we would draw like they do.

vCash
    Howland was disappointed with fan support. I feel part was on him for not winning consistently and part was on the fans for not supporting MSU basketball. Well, Jans has now taken his part out of the equation. I don't know how this team will fare when SEC play starts, but willing to bet there will be improvement from last year. Jans so far, has done his part. It's now up to the fans. Somebody in the AD better find a creative way to get significant butts in the seats. We should have 4-6K for OOC games and 6-8K for SEC games. No excuses. There's enough population in the GTR area to get those numbers into the Hump. Gotta promote better within an hour radius of Starkvegas. If we don't get the HUMP at least back to somewhat intimidating.....then don't complain when Jans moves on in a few years for a really big job like KY, Kansas, Duke, or a wealthy school with great support looking to improve their basketball program. NMSU was a stepping stone for Jans to get the MSU. MSU could easily be a stepping stone for his really big final job. It's up to the AD and fans to now do something to make him want to stay at MSU forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Comparing us to the NC schools.... if MSU was located in those population centers AND had their history of winning.... we would draw like they do.
    I literally stated right after I made that comment "I know we aren't those schools"... I referenced NC schools because I live in NC. That being said there was a time not that long ago, the HUMP was rocking! Can we stop making excuses and be good fans and show support?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I know I?m not a southerner, but I hate how a lot of our fan base puts hunting before sports. I know hunting is big in the South, but I feel like our alum/students love to make it more a priority. Rant over LOL
    Ha! My Pennsylvania customers would shut down their operations the first week of deer season cuz nobody would show up for work!!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    As it has been stated many times before, the problem is we have many many ticket holders in lower section who have no interest in attending and won't attend regardless of how good the team gets. They only have tickets to improve their BC ranking. They also won't make any effort in giving those tickets away when the conference matchups start. Hell, half of them probably forget they have season tickets.

We kicked out the people who wanted to show up and gave their seats to the ones who don't care, all for the sake of a few dollars. Which doesn't really matter these days with all the SEC money we collect. So if it were me, I'd just go ahead and risk pissing off the donors who never show up and go back to first come/first serve. Open the whole thing back up.
    The entire hump should be general admission. You want to come to the game, buy a ticket and sit whereever you can find a seat. Get there early.
    Also, one entire sideline, first 10 rows opposite the cameras needs to be the student section. If they can't due that due to students sitting at the bench location, then switch the bench side to the other side. I want to see craziness on TV when I tune in. Not 80 year old boomers that would shit themselves if they stand up too quickly.
    Downvotes_Hype