Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 6 players have already entered the portal (baseball)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Think you're looking at 2021's stats.

His ERA was 1.40 this year. 8-2 record.
    I like it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Think you're looking at 2021's stats.

His ERA was 1.40 this year. 8-2 record.
    I stand corrected.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Im not saying 6 figures like football. But well into five.
    If that's the case, and it is, we gonna be in trouble....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    If that's the case, and it is, we gonna be in trouble....
    Who outside of the SEC, ACC, and handful of B12 teams are going to pay money to baseball players?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Who outside of the SEC, ACC, and handful of B12 teams are going to pay money to baseball players?
    Yeah there's MAYBE 20-25 teams at most. It's gonna be just like it was pre nil. Football and basketball players get cars and bags of cash. Baseball players get a meal paid for every now and then. Boosters are not gonna invest their nil money in baseball players, it'll go to football and basketball. Some baseball players may ask for big dollars but very few, if any schools are gonna pay it.

ETA and I'm not saying that some guys won't get it I'm just saying the market is very limited on schools who will pay.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 05-25-2022 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Nobody. But unfortunately, we play in one of those leagues.

vCash
    Nobody. But unfortunately, we play in one of those leagues.
    Unfortunately true.

vCash
    But, we will and have gotten nil money to those that have been here and produced in baseball. But for recruits is going to be limited and in small chunks

vCash
    That's 30 schools. And that's our neighborhood. That's an issue.

vCash
    But, we will and have gotten nil money to those that have been here and produced in baseball. But for recruits is going to be limited and in small chunks
    Well that's good. Especially since for recruits is blatantly against ncaa bylaws. I know we all think that the ncaa is a joke, but I'd tread carefully until this working group issues the new bylaws.

vCash
    Well that's good. Especially since for recruits is blatantly against ncaa bylaws. I know we all think that the ncaa is a joke, but I'd tread carefully until this working group issues the new bylaws.
    Naive your middle name?

vCash
    A&M just signed the highest rated recruiting class in football history and spent around 28MM doing it. Errybodyyyyyy is offering money to recruits. Hell, recruits ask about NIL before anything else now

vCash
    Naive your middle name?
    Ha. Yea I know we are doing it.
    Just wishful thinking. Im cool with nil for players, but I wish it would be taken out of the recruiting process.

vCash
    A&M just signed the highest rated recruiting class in football history and spent around 28MM doing it. Errybodyyyyyy is offering money to recruits. Hell, recruits ask about NIL before anything else now
    Yep. I hate it too. Hopefully they will crack down on it.

vCash
    I would expect a huge NIL payment or recruitment difference to go extract a Jacob Berry from Arizona - a ready to go All American and 1st Round pick. It will be news to me that there is even a market for this in baseball. Berry went LSU with his coach.

I expect we won't get any Jacob Berry transfer or puck away a Mike Mussina from Stanford.

I expect MSU to take Ok-ish guys from Austin Peay, Eastern Tennessee, Mercer, South Alabama, Campbell, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Binghamton, or New Mexico. That's not going to take Saudi or Drug Cartel levels of money.

Are you Cats saying MSU is about go buy a baseball team? Or some marquee All Americans from other D1 programs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I would expect a huge NIL payment or recruitment difference to go extract a Jacob Berry from Arizona - a ready to go All American and 1st Round pick. It will be news to me that there is even a market for this in baseball. Berry went LSU with his coach.

I expect we won't get any Jacob Berry transfer or puck away a Mike Mussina from Stanford.

I expect MSU to take Ok-ish guys from Austin Peay, Eastern Tennessee, Mercer, South Alabama, Campbell, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Binghamton, or New Mexico. That's not going to take Saudi or Drug Cartel levels of money.

Are you Cats saying MSU is about go buy a baseball team? Or some marquee All Americans from other D1 programs?
    No. I'm saying just the opposite.

vCash
    No. I'm saying just the opposite.
    Yeah- people need to realize about NIL. We've had trouble raising 3MM. The rest of the SEC is starting at 20MM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We've got a damn mess.
    Concur. I will be highly impressed if Lemonis and crew gets this team straightened back out in one off-season. Just way too many holes to fill especially on the pitching staff.

vCash
    Yeah- people need to realize about NIL. We've had trouble raising 3MM. The rest of the SEC is starting at 20MM
    That’s exactly what I’ve been saying for forever. I literally laugh out loud every time a “cigar boy” has been brought up. We do not have any. Not one. They have had plenty of time to “pony up” and make sure people are considering us.

They aren’t. Because they don’t exist.

We’ve basically heard witch stories all our lives about these so called money men that made the MSU world go round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah there's MAYBE 20-25 teams at most. It's gonna be just like it was pre nil. Football and basketball players get cars and bags of cash. Baseball players get a meal paid for every now and then. Boosters are not gonna invest their nil money in baseball players, it'll go to football and basketball. Some baseball players may ask for big dollars but very few, if any schools are gonna pay it.

ETA and I'm not saying that some guys won't get it I'm just saying the market is very limited on schools who will pay.
    Baseball players as you know are wired differently. A lot of them think more about the "big picture" than say basketball players when it comes to money from playing their sport. Right now a typical college baseball player is just going to be happy with getting their tuition paid. That's literally all Vanderbilt has been doing for years and they have been landing first round caliber players at times. That's why the new legislation where conferences decide how many baseball scholarships are given out is so huge for MSU. I don't know what the amount will be other than it will be more than 11.7. Other than the elite prospect players- for example Jett Williams or Blaze Jordan- we're not really going to have to pay a lot to baseball players in general. The reason being because most baseball players are shooting for that second big MLB contract when they can become a free agent. What they value in college is going somewhere that they can develop and get to MLB in order to get the said free agent deal in time.

Now, the elite of the elite players like I mentioned above it's likely going to take around 300-500K a year (900K-1.5 million over a three year period) to get in the game with those players and that's probably baseline. The reason being is because it lessens the risk of them fading in college and not making it. Because if that happens they've still made 1.5 million and maybe more if they don't pan out and come back for a fourth year. But let's say a player does pan out and gets 900K from MSU in NIL. Then they go in the draft and get a 2-3 million dollar signing bonus from MLB- now they've made 3-4 million dollars roughly. So they've made significantly more money. For context making 3-4 million dollars is roughly the equivalent of being a top 15 pick on the high end and a top 25 pick on the low end based on this years draft slots. Also players know that by going to college it statistically increases their odds of making it to MLB. And for more context making 900K-1.5 million would be the equivalent of being a top 50-75 pick in this years draft based on slot values. So if they do flame out they're still getting pretty close to what they would have made in the draft out of high school.

So then the million dollar question is how do we compete with those 25-30 schools? We need to give to the Bulldog Initiative which is run by Charlie Winfield. If 300 of our 10K fans that show up every game- not to mention our thousands around the country who can't go and are just as hardcore and loyal donate 1000 dollar to the initiative we could get an elite talent. We have the resources to do that. Even if we give 100 dollars or 10 dollars that all helps. If 3000 of our fans donate 100 dollars it's the same difference as 300 donating 1000. And we have the fanbase to do that too.

Doing that could be a game changer with a player like Bradley Loftin or Dakota Jordan. In fact if I'm Lemonis those are the two prospects I'm targeting with NIL money. And I'd even kick the tires on Jett Williams with NIL because what could it hurt? Worst case scenario he goes pro like everyone expected.

The other thing is we need to join the Dugout Club because that's going to help MSU baseball as well.