Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Economy

vCash

Economy

Guys, it seems like most people without business and market type jobs are not paying full attention to what is happening with our economy. Of course our 401ks have been trashed for the short-term. But this is about to get really ugly. I have heard rumors of local banks already halting farm and business loan applications. Oil and protein commodities have plummeted to where soon leveraged amounts will be higher than asset values. Let that soak in for a minute (anybody remember the 80s and land notes getting called).
    Additionally, we live in a weak society that can not handle this adversity. People will continue to freak out about this and businesses will begin shutting down as employees even dare show symptoms. Imagine going to Walmart and it's closed because no employees to work or no supplies because manufacturer shut down.

Things are about to get real. If you do not have a month worth's of food/supplies on hand you are being nieve. Even with grocery stores and shopping centers open, they are the largest local cess pool of germs and will be the easiest place to come in contact with the disease going forward. I have a pregnant wife and I went and did all her grocery shopping for the next month tonight while hardly anyone was out. Call me crazy but the writing is on the wall.

vCash
    Kroger clicklist. $4.96 and they do my shopping for me and bring it to my car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Guys, it seems like most people without business and market type jobs are not paying full attention to what is happening with our economy. Of course our 401ks have been trashed for the short-term. But this is about to get really ugly. I have heard rumors of local banks already halting farm and business loan applications. Oil and protein commodities have plummeted to where soon leveraged amounts will be higher than asset values. Let that soak in for a minute (anybody remember the 80s and land notes getting called).
    Additionally, we live in a weak society that can not handle this adversity. People will continue to freak out about this and businesses will begin shutting down as employees even dare show symptoms. Imagine going to Walmart and it's closed because no employees to work or no supplies because manufacturer shut down.

Things are about to get real. If you do not have a month worth's of food/supplies on hand you are being nieve. Even with grocery stores and shopping centers open, they are the largest local cess pool of germs and will be the easiest place to come in contact with the disease going forward. I have a pregnant wife and I went and did all her grocery shopping for the next month tonight while hardly anyone was out. Call me crazy but the writing is on the wall.
    I work for the DOD and we were told to get at least 2 week minimum of supplies. I bought 1 month yesterday. And could go 2-3 with what I have now in non-perishables.

vCash
    Oh good, another panic thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    ...and they are late to the car or forget your order all together. Which is compromised of many "substitute" items.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I work for the DOD and we were told to get at least 2 week minimum of supplies. I bought 1 month yesterday. And could go 2-3 with what I have now in non-perishables.
    If you live on the coast like I do, that's called your hurricane kit.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    Oh good, another panic thread
    It's not panic if it's rational

vCash
    Im buying bullets

vCash
    Put on your tinfoil hat for this.

China manufactured this thing. There is a huge BioLab in Wuhan. It's political.

Why did Dean Koontz write a book in 1981 that eerily describes almost to a T what has transpired up until now? Psychic Sylvia Brown as well. And the Simpson's episode.....

It feels like end times are upon us. I am not freaking out, though. The Man upstairs is in control. My association with Him feels strong.

vCash
    1 month supplies? Should I go crawl in my bunker as well? Look, this is bad. But so was H1N1. But some of y'all are acting like it's the end of the world. I have plenty of OTC meds, toilet paper, and a normal amount of food. But this preemptive hoarding people are doing is not helping. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, and try to keep a decent distance from people in public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Yeah we all have this luxury right now. But what if your local Kroger doesn't have enough people show up to work to get this done. And every simple mind around you is thinking this same thing. Or supplies run out like right now where you can't get toilet paper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    ...and they are late to the car or forget your order all together. Which is compromised of many "substitute" items.
    Check the box that say's "No Substitutes" on the online form. Then you won't get a brand/item you don't want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    1 month supplies? Should I go crawl in my bunker as well? Look, this is bad. But so was H1N1. But some of y'all are acting like it's the end of the world. I have plenty of OTC meds, toilet paper, and a normal amount of food. But this preemptive hoarding people are doing is not helping. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, and try to keep a decent distance from people in public.
    Dude I'm talking about the markets, not just this disease.. We are on the verge of an economic shutdown like we have never seen in our lifetime. If commodity markets don't stabilize next week (not the stock market), things may go south in a hurry. If you aren't preparing your family just in case, you are foolish.

vCash
    I'm a banker in a smaller town and a predominately rural market in Mississippi and there is absolutely no thought to changing from business as usual for our customers and I make those decisions for our bank!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg63 View Post
    I'm a banker in a smaller town and a predominately rural market in Mississippi and there is absolutely no thought to changing from business as usual for our customers and I make those decisions for our bank!
    Exactly.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Guys, you can't do anything about it, so stop worrying about it.

Do your part & live your life as normal as possible in hopes that others will see that & copy your behavior.

Freaking out about it is senseless, even if it's reality.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'm not freaking out I just believe in preparation in case of a bad scenario. If it doesn't get that bad so be it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I'm not freaking out I just believe in preparation in case of a bad scenario. If it doesn't get that bad so be it.
    Prepared for what?

This isn't a natural disaster that prevents people from being able to go to the store.

This is complete hysteria that displays the stupidity of humankind.

There is absolutely nothing that prevents people from living a completely normal life right now, other than not having sports to watch & if everyone would just go about their life normally right now, there would be no issues as there are no issues with the normal flu
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg63 View Post
    That's good to hear. Larger banks are just fine. But there are smaller banks in south and west Texas that have made drastic short-term changes, most likely due to their own poor equity positions (oil I would imagine). I assume that this is going to recover, but there is a chance this could go south for people.

vCash
    Is it bad? Yes. Is the hysteria making it 1000x worse? Also yes.

Everyone needs to keep living as normal as possible. Obviously, if you're older or have health problems, then probably limit the amt. of people you're around, but there are perfectly healthy people irrationally freaking out right now. It's a highly contagious version of the flu, if you take care of yourself you'll be fine. Honestly, the one good thing to come out of this is people are actually becoming more health conscious and taking personal hygiene a little more seriously.