Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyrell Shavers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    We have to have the highly rated guys in the right positions. We need big time receivers, quarterbacks, and defensive linemen.
    I'm intrigued to see what we do on DL recruiting.

But as far as the other places, Costello/Shavers/Sawyer Robertson/Knox/Nabers/Kanarius Johnson/Coleman (possibly) is one hell of a start for the WR's & QB's.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    So, what does our WR 3-deep look like once we land Shavers?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Do we want Shavers or this guy?

[tweet2]1270031879257968640[/tweet2]
    I would take both. We still need to cut some dead weight off our roster. We have 4 tight ends in a scheme that doesn't have a tight end in the offense.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    So, what does our WR 3-deep look like once we land Shavers?
    O. Mitchell
    J. Payton
    Shavers

Heath
    A. Williams
    C. Gardner

Ducking/Pruitt
    Tulu/Harvey
    D. Jones/Torber

Honestly have not studied his depth chart enough to know how many starting receivers he names, but from reading the 247 guy's reports (I would imagine they are guessing) they kind of have a feel of what the chart may look like and this is kind of what I've gathered as far as the tiers they are looking at. IYOK may have a better idea than me though.
    Last edited by Jarius; 06-08-2020 at 12:15 PM.

vCash

They play different positions in our offense with Spielman being a slot guy, so in theory we could use them both. With that said Spielman isn't a grad transfer so would have to get a waiver and there's no apparent reason to expect he would get that. Also it seems he basically quit school during the last semester and took a "leave of absence" from the team. They are willingly parting ways with their leading receiver, so to me there are some red flags that would make me want to pass.

vCash

If it had to be one or the other I would probably take Spielman just because he is a much more proven commodity. I've never seen Shavers play a down but I'm very familiar with Spielman from college fantasy football and I've owned him in a couple of leagues. Besides being a very good WR he is also an excellent punt returner.

vCash
    I'd roll the dice and get both Shavers and Spielman and cut someone that is dead weight.

vCash
    Wouldn't Spielman only have 1 year of eligibility left? I'd be all for taking both of them, but if it is an either/or situation, then I'd probably take Shavers just based on the extra year of eligibility.

vCash
    Shoot if you can get them both, then absolutely. But is there any type of connection to Spielman that would make him consider us other than the offense we run and opportunity to catch lots of passes? Anyone know where he's from?

I read on Twitter that he hasn't graduated & already used his RS year so if he doesn't get a waiver granted, he'd be screwed would he not?

vCash
    I have heard several times that we expect to target 8 receivers per game and mostly run 10 personnel. I think my 8 would be.

O. Mitchell - Spivey
    M. Heath - Tulu
    J. Payton - Pruitt
    T. Shavers - A. Williams

I'm not sure if Malik is playing inside or outside or how Spivey has progressed but I would like to see them in these roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    ....other than the offense we run and opportunity to catch lots of passes? Anyone know where he's from?
    I think Leach's offense is going to make almost every transfer WR look at us. He's from MN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    I think Leach's offense is going to make almost every transfer WR look at us. He's from MN.
    I agree somewhat. But with some kids who are from off somewhere like MN, you'd need a connection somewhere to feel good about pulling them down to MS, even with Leach and the air raid here.

If we get Shavers, we're at 83. We'd have to tell someone to move on and find a new home. That'd be tough to do this late would it not? Idk how that really works, but it being June and voluntary workouts starting up, I'd think it'd be tough to tell a kid to take a hike and find a new place to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Shoot if you can get them both, then absolutely. But is there any type of connection to Spielman that would make him consider us other than the offense we run and opportunity to catch lots of passes? Anyone know where he's from?

I read on Twitter that he hasn't graduated & already used his RS year so if he doesn't get a waiver granted, he'd be screwed would he not?
    Spielman's dad is the GM for the Vikings and we have a player Powers Warren whose dad also works for the Vikings. I'd explore it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Spielman's dad is the GM for the Vikings and we have a player Powers Warren whose dad also works for the Vikings. I'd explore it.
    Lol, that's a hell of a stretch for a connection...... but I'll allow it hahahaha.

I believe the thought as soon as he hit the portal was he's Minnesota-bound because of his dad working with the Vikings but there's a potential issue. I'll try to sum it up the best I can but it appears that a former Minnesota WR was tweeting at Spielman back in like December/January about coming to play for Minnesota (I *think* that is what has happened). Apparently Minnesota has one of the toughest compliance dept.'s in the B10. And apparently they are looking into *POSSIBLE* tampering because the former player would be considered a "booster" since he's closely affiliated with the university and team. Whether something comes of that, I have no idea & I hope what I'm typing out is what has actually happened. I read it online. They might just be doing some due diligence to make sure. But if he were to NOT be able to go there because their compliance dept. wasn't cool with it, then that could be really interesting.

If we processed someone or someone else left and opened a spot, then hell yes go after this dude. He's put up some very solid #'s and is a proven commodity. Throw him in the slot and let's roll.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Powers dad is now the commissioner of the Big 10 but yes they did work together. I'm wondering if Spielman days on the D1 level are over. He hasn't graduated, he doesn't have a RS, & he basically dropped out of school mid semester. It's the NCAA so you never know but I don't see a logical reason for him being able to be eligible this season. If not he just loses this year & his eligibility is over. May have to go down a level to play. Also I believe there's a SEC rule that you can't transfer into the conference with 1 year of eligibility remaining & not be a grad transfer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    O. Mitchell
    J. Payton
    Shavers

Heath
    A. Williams
    C. Gardner

Ducking/Pruitt
    Tulu/Harvey
    D. Jones/Torber

Honestly have not studied his depth chart enough to know how many starting receivers he names, but from reading the 247 guy's reports (I would imagine they are guessing) they kind of have a feel of what the chart may look like and this is kind of what I've gathered as far as the tiers they are looking at. IYOK may have a better idea than me though.
    We're a 4 wide base set.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Powers dad is now the commissioner of the Big 10 but yes they did work together. I'm wondering if Spielman days on the D1 level are over. He hasn't graduated, he doesn't have a RS, & he basically dropped out of school mid semester. It's the NCAA so you never know but I don't see a logical reason for him being able to be eligible this season. If not he just loses this year & his eligibility is over. May have to go down a level to play. Also I believe there's a SEC rule that you can't transfer into the conference with 1 year of eligibility remaining & not be a grad transfer.
    Well, if true, then that kind of eliminates him from our consideration. Not sure he would have had any interest anyway. Good to hear that things are trending positively on Shavers though. Sounds like a guy with a lot of talent even if he has very little experience at the college level. Hope we can get him on board.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Apparently TCU has passed on Shavers and is pursuing him. I would like to have both
    No Signature

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Apparently TCU has passed on Shavers and is pursuing him. I would like to have both
    I think the TCU is passing on Shavers talk is because he passed on them. Control the narrative.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think the TCU is passing on Shavers talk is because he passed on them. Control the narrative.
    Yes, that sounds more accurate.
    No Signature