Thread: Walk Ons in Starkville

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I bet Oxford gets one first, hell I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to open one in Starkville. Oxford is outgrowing Starkville at a pretty rapid pace right now, and I think has more residents for the first time ever. MSU and Starkville need to find a way to attract more retired alums to move there. It would sure help the local businesses and allow for growth. That's the biggest difference between the two places from what I see.
    Oxford City/Lafayette County Government >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Starkville City/Oktibbeha County Government ..... plus residents in Oxford/Lafayette embrace the University, unlike Starkville/Oktibbeha County residents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Oxford City/Lafayette County Government >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Starkville City/Oktibbeha County Government ..... plus residents in Oxford/Lafayette embrace the University, unlike Starkville/Oktibbeha County residents.

This is the most infuriating thing ever. How many places in America have a university that is basically the only thing keeping the town from being a complete shit hole and the town still not embrace the university? The small mindedness of Starkville residents over the decades really is mind blowing. There was a significant number of residents that apparently wanted Starkville to be Eupora, and only lived in Starkville because there was a job there (almost certainly only made possible by the university and students, or else they could have just moved to 17ing Eupora).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is the most infuriating thing ever. How many places in America have a university that is basically the only thing keeping the town from being a complete shit hole and the town still not embrace the university? The small mindedness of Starkville residents over the decades really is mind blowing. There was a significant number of residents that apparently wanted Starkville to be Eupora, and only lived in Starkville because there was a job there (almost certainly only made possible by the university and students, or else they could have just moved to 17ing Eupora).
    This isn't false. I've never understood some of the attitudes towards the university from the resident of Starkville. I mean trust me I understand that traffic sucks a lot worse and Kroger is a little more crowded with students in town. But without them, our choices of places to eat out would probably be Wendy's, McDonalds, and a couple of Mexican restaurants. On top of that, as the post said, without the university Starkville's job market would be quite dry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Watching a game in a restaurant bar in Starkville and the local patrons in earshot of me acting like they're happy we won when I turn around to check the reaction. One might even have raised his glass. Good times.