Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    There's only two that clearly lean. The others are accused of leaning but in my opinion are much closer to the middle of the country than most realize. I don't think people in Mississippi account for how far right they are nationally. What may appear to be "liberal" to some is just "not a super, far right ideal" to others. It's all perspective and everyone having a voice has confused people. Many blame the media. I personally think social media is more to blame.
    It's not a problem to lean. The problem is being untrustworthy. There are plenty of individual journalists that I'm sure are trustworthy regardless of their political leanings. But they don't get blasted all over the TV if they are in broadcast, and to the extent they are in newspapers or online, they are just mixed in with all the ass hats and people pay more attention to the publisher than the byline, so they don't really get identified as trustworthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's not a problem to lean. The problem is being untrustworthy. There are plenty of individual journalists that I'm sure are trustworthy regardless of their political leanings. But they don't get blasted all over the TV if they are in broadcast, and to the extent they are in newspapers or online, they are just mixed in with all the ass hats and people pay more attention to the publisher than the byline, so they don't really get identified as trustworthy.
    I won't argue with that. News stations no longer hold reporters accountable when they become obviously biased. I do think it's a spot problem and not necessarily "network encouraged" as much as some think. However, it has the same effect if it becomes too prevalent. I notice it most consistently on two stations, which I no longer watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I won't argue with that. News stations no longer hold reporters accountable when they become obviously biased. I do think it's a spot problem and not necessarily "network encouraged" as much as some think. However, it has the same effect if it becomes too prevalent. I notice it most consistently on two stations, which I no longer watch.
    I'm less bothered by the broadcast "news". THat's essentially a market problem; they are all trash because people want entertainment more than news.

The print I am bothered by. The New York Times and Washington Post haven't abandoned their standards because that's what it took them to gain marketshare (I don't think; certainly could be wrong). Certainly there has been a sea change in the industry and maybe that was an excuse some of the people used for it, particularly not keeping editorial content separate from news content, but I don't t hink people were demanding entertainment from their newspapers int eh same way they were demanding it from broadcast media (or at least not in a way that required them to trash the news side).