Thread: a few thought on our basketball team

vCash

a few thought on our basketball team

in today's game the art of the entry pass is lost. It seems we are always a count too slow. Also our bigs don't really get into a good receiving position. I was taught to always pass to the hand away from the defender.

several times last night, with DJ running the baseline, he was just about to come open and we reversed the ball away from Him. I think a ball fake and a bounce pass and he would have been wide open, but we weren't patient enough.

Our guards need to learn how to give the ball up and then get it back with their dribble alive. Then a shot fake and drive would allow them into the lane.

if Ben would run some zone then we might know how to defeat a zone. Instead of taking Ado and Reggie out in the first half--we could have protected them with a zone and had them on offense.

back screening a zone defense is something we never try.

vCash
    I think those are good points.

Entry passes are also about angles. Trying to entry pass the ball from the top of the key is a losing proposition.

And overall, just value the basketball. It's a mentality. Teams are going to force turnovers. It's the unforced turnovers that kill you: setting illegal screens, bad entry passes, not securing the ball in the backcourt. Basically, Basketball 101. The lob passes from sideline to sideline against a 1-3-1 is just bad strategy.

vCash
    Especially when all the offensive players are standing in one spot. Evidently that is fine with the coaches because they never changed a single thing. We didn't even rush to shoot as we trailed by 20 with under 5 min left. When you don't practice it, you can't possibly execute it in a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I think those are good points.

Entry passes are also about angles. Trying to entry pass the ball from the top of the key is a losing proposition.

And overall, just value the basketball. It's a mentality. Teams are going to force turnovers. It's the unforced turnovers that kill you: setting illegal screens, bad entry passes, not securing the ball in the backcourt. Basically, Basketball 101. The lob passes from sideline to sideline against a 1-3-1 is just bad strategy.
    Yes, yes, yes! Thank you! And we do all these things poorly, it costs us every game.

vCash
    Why do teams not screen the top defender in the 1-3-1? The point guy at the top. Either a flat ball screen or traditional ball screen.

vCash
    Because they aren't coached by a hard ass high school coach as we were. If the rest of our opponents can zone us as the sharks did then we will avg about 40 a game from here on out.

vCash
    we are a leading offensive rebounding team. So to have 15-20 turnovers a game--means we have missed 15-20 chances to rebound--which is our strength. A bad shot is way better than a turnover. The more shots we take the better chance we have to win.

vCash
    I agree. We sure seemed content vs the sharks to just pass and stand still to run out the shot clock.

vCash
    Agree on the turnovers. Prob the most frustrating thing to me about our team is the lack of valuing the basketball/possessions. Infuriating. It'd be different if we were a high octane, run run run, type of team offensively. But we are not. We seldom run and like to play in the half court.

vCash
    What is the most infuriating about it is the fact that Howland mentioned preparing for the 1-3-1 then during the game it looked like our team had never seen a 1-3-1 in their life. Then our guards just basically let Tyree take control of the game in the second half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why do teams not screen the top defender in the 1-3-1? The point guy at the top. Either a flat ball screen or traditional ball screen.
    I coach competitive youth basketball (4th grade specifically). We have multiple set plays against 1-3-1 defenses and all start with a screen out top and some have double screens (one out top and another at the high post). How can a 4th grade team (and amateur coach) understand these principles yet we can't or don't?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I coach competitive youth basketball (4th grade specifically). We have multiple set plays against 1-3-1 defenses and all start with a screen out top and some have double screens (one out top and another at the high post). How can a 4th grade team (and amateur coach) understand these principles yet we can't or don't?
    Yea I don't get it. We just walk the ball up on one side or the other, straight into the trap, and then lob cross court over the 6'7" guy at the top of the 1-3-1. It's so stupid. Dribble up the court right at him and ball screen him. 1-3-1 over.

vCash
    I also have a few thoughts about our basketball team... 17 em, baseball starts tomorrow!

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Here are my thoughts on our basketball team. Really talented group physically, really low talented group mentally. Just look at the best players in any sport. They all have the smarts to go with the God given ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    I also have a few thoughts about our basketball team... 17 em, baseball starts tomorrow!
    and you just had to post that? what a tool.

vCash
    My thoughts: Some of y'all will finally appreciate what Richard Williams and, yes, Rick Stansbury accomplished here. Some of us knew all along.

vCash
    I want someone to find me a preseason poll that had us ranked higher than 6th ... and please post it on here.
    An outsider would think we were preseason number 1 or 2

Yes we some have talent, but so does damn near every other school in the league.. and they all have as much or more talent than we do top to bottom.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 02-17-2020 at 08:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    and you just had to post that? what a tool.

Complete tool.. and basketball ignorant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I won’t someone to find me a preseason poll that had us ranked higher than 6th ... and please post it on here.
    An outsider would think we were preseason number 1 or 2

Yes we some have talent, but so does damn near every other school in the league.. and they all have as much or more talent than we do top to bottom.

The talent is strong with Molinar and Stewart . If Carter can play like Sat. And Woodard play like the NBA player they are calling him--we can win out.