Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
Again, wasn't comparing it to slaves. I was pointing out that the argument being used to justify not paying athletes is unjust and oppressive. See my response to Todd.

Also, Thick is right that you can't hand an 18 year old rock star $100,000 a year either. Put it in a fund and if they graduate, they get it. Incentive it and let them earn it as a STUDENT-athlete. It's not complicated. And it only matters for P5's. The rest of it is truly amateur football. But the P5 is commercialized out the ying yang and the players are not getting anywhere near the financial benefit they should, purely from an economic standpoint. I'm surprised you wouldn't promote that for your guys. I know you truly love all the kids that play for you. To me, I'd want them to have an opportunity to earn some of the money they bring in.
I think you buried the lede with this. The economic impact of college football is enormous. It's not 1980 with a handful of teams on TV, and boys scouts running the concessions to fund trips to the Jamboree anymore. It's not even 2010 anymore. Just look at the impact a relevant, winning football team has had on our school and Starkville. CFB is a multi-billion dollar industry just like the NFL. Yes, players get an education and benefits. But, is that really in scale with the overall economy of college football?
Is roughly $100,000 over 4 years a fair share of the pie? When the SEC is making $651 million; MSU athletics is making $65 million (after subtracting the SEC share of the $651 m); ESPN & CBS make Billions; Adidas, Learfield, Aaramark, Starkville, etc all make millions; and the local economy of small businesses all exist because of a game you play? ESPN can show you in hype commercials for games, use you to sell their websites and publication, but you can get suspended for a free meal. Is that a fair system of compensation?

Now, I do think the PAC12 players are jumping the gun here. I think the NIL system has the potential to help equalize some of this. I don't have an answer, but I totally understand how the argument can be made that as a total system, CFB players are providing a bigger benefit to the schools then what they are receiving in return.