Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yes this is a major problem. It can take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to high heat conditions. There should be a ramp up before full two a day fall camp is rolled out.

One problem is leadership. Many coaches get in their grill right off the bat yelling no pain no gain when a serious problem may be happening. I have had a life long issue with my shoulder from playing thru the injury with the no pain no gain in my ear. No kid will give in with that kind of pressure.

It is a fine line for sure where there is a time when you have to push your team/players but you also have to know your players. If a 110 percenter is falling back he is likely hurt not just not giving effort. Coaches and players should know their kids too.
    When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.
    My getting your body used to the heat is what should happen. That can be done in other ways not just in full practice times. Like many have said, many of these kids are not in shape to hit it hard in the heat.