Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    I post stats partly because they're interesting to me, partly to keep y'all informed. I mainly post the death rates to show the trend. Total number is ultimately what matters, right?

So what if they are misleading or aren't 100% accurate or don't paint the full picture? In this case partly because of the small sample size.

Do they benefit all or only one side? Or do they harm the collective end goal and all the in-betweens on how to attain that goal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    So what if they are misleading or aren't 100% accurate or don't paint the full picture? In this case partly because of the small sample size.

Do they benefit all or only one side? Or do they harm the collective end goal and all the in-betweens on how to attain that goal?
    I don't know where you're going with this. I posted "good" stats earlier. I have no side. I don't know why people get so offended by actual facts and numbers. Denial?

Speaking of good numbers:

Italy reports 4,790 new cases of coronavirus and 602 new deaths.

Those are down two days in a row.

vCash
    I don't know where you're going with this. I posted "good" stats earlier. I have no side. I don't know why people get so offended by actual facts and numbers. Denial?

Speaking of good numbers:

Italy reports 4,790 new cases of coronavirus and 602 new deaths.

Those are down two days in a row.

I'm not going anywhere with this. I'm asking questions.

You accuse me of getting offended when I've openly said I'm not trying to get at anything to start our conversation off. I could accuse you of getting defensive with that type of comment. I don't want that though. It works both ways but I'm trying to have a conversation without insulting. You've done a pretty good job of not getting personal and slinging mud with others throughout this thread. That's why I'm not trying to be a smartass or prove anything with you as I have attempted with others.

I'm also not criticizing your numbers as much as I am trying to figure out how reliable you feel like they are. You've been consistent and provided where you got your info. My gf is an engineer so I am very aware of how much yall get into and enjoy numbers. I just feel like there is currently a very very fine line of good information and information that may not be 100% true or truly determined YET. Numbers and stats are great and are usually very telling. But so many of these comparisons are not equal. How do you find that balance?

I guess what message are you trying to convey by posting your Italy numbers in comparison to America? Where is the line drawn of one is an apple and one is an orange? How do you tie the two together to make them relatable?

I don't need you to explain how predicted trajectories work or exponential growth works. Only people who think this is nothing need that explanation. I don't fall into that category like a few others want to claim if you don't see eye to eye with them.

Again, I'm not saying they are bogus. It's just not a similar comparison.

vCash
    I guess what message are you trying to convey by posting your Italy numbers in comparison to America? Where is the line drawn of one is an apple and one is an orange? How do you tie the two together to make them relatable?
    I think that the Asian countries are obviously the floor of what could've happened here, and right now I'm tracking Italy and Spain as the ceiling.

I know that our fatality rate is ~1.3% right now which is obviously way better than Italy and Spain, but I think the deaths are going to start climbing higher and higher, especially as hospitals start to get stressed. We are starting to test a lot of people, so that also factors accordingly into the fatality rate.

I don't post Italy and Spain's numbers because I think that's where we WILL end up, I post them because I think that's where we COULD end up. I do think our current trajectory is more in line with Spain and Italy than say, South Korea or even Germany. I am curious about Germany and how few deaths they've had but haven't found any good info on why yet.

But when it boils down to it, I guess the main reason I'm posting at all is to try to convince y'all to stay the **** home so we don't end up like Italy
    Last edited by hacker; 03-23-2020 at 02:15 PM.

vCash
    I think that the Asian countries are obviously the floor of what could've happened here, and right now I'm tracking Italy and Spain as the ceiling.

I know that our fatality rate is ~1.3% right now which is obviously way better than Italy and Spain, but I think the deaths are going to start climbing higher and higher, especially as hospitals start to get stressed. We are starting to test a lot of people, so that also factors accordingly into the fatality rate.

I don't post Italy and Spain's numbers because I think that's where we WILL end up, I post them because I think that's where we COULD end up. I do think our current trajectory is more in line with Spain and Italy than say, South Korea or even Germany. I am curious about Germany and how few deaths they've had but haven't found any good info on why yet.

But when it boils down to it, I guess the main reason I'm posting at all is to try to convince y'all to stay the **** home so we don't end up like Italy

I hear you. And appreciate it I guess. I have used your stats and graphs to keep up with some stuff because like I've said, you have been consistent. No clue on the accuracy of everything and I'm not trying to determine that or deny that.

It's just the amount of info and misinformation is the scary part of all of this. Not the virus itself (For me personally at least). I'm just wary to post stuff or even quote stuff with friends and co-workers with so much uncertainty. Not trying to convince you to do otherwise. I'm just not confident enough in any of this to try to depend on what one group or expert says. And I doubt any experts would claim complete certainty either.

It is what it is, carry on. I just can't completely buy into everything while using those countries as our metric to compare to. I understand you keeping up with that certainly though.
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 03-23-2020 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    I hear you. And appreciate it I guess. I have used your stats and graphs to keep up with some stuff because like I've said, you have been consistent. No clue on the accuracy of everything and I'm not trying to determine that or deny that.

It's just the amount of info and misinformation is the scary part of all of this. Not the virus itself (For me personally at least). I'm just wary to post stuff or even quote stuff with friends and co-workers with so much uncertainty. Not trying to convince you do to otherwise. I'm just not confident enough in any of this to try to depend on what one group or expert says. And I doubt any experts would claim complete certainty either.

It is what it is, carry on. I just can't completely buy into everything while using those countries as our metric to compare to. I understand you keeping up with that certainly though.
    This. There's just to much coming from both sides to know what is accurate and I'm not sure that anyone knows anything for a certaintity anyway. I'm fortunate that in my business I have a lot of contact with doctors, nurses and admins who I can talk to and get good info from.