Thread: Baseball Coaching Hot Board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    More SEC wins this year isn't saying much.

He's a good coach, doesn't mean he's ready or deserving of this job. I like Lane, doesn't mean he should be in the top 5 coaches for this job.

He's been to 2 regionals in 7 years at LA Tech.

I mentioned this elsewhere, there are 2 coaches in Louisiana that are arguably better than him... yet only 1 of them kind of gets mentioned. The other? Not at all.

Why is that? Cause Burroughs "is a State guy".

Who are the other two guys?

1. Matt Deggs - ULL. His name has been mentioned some. But not as much as Lane. Deggs has 3 Regional appearances, as well as 1 Super Regional appearance.
    2. Matt Riser - SEL. 4 regionals in 9 years.

I'm even advocating for either. Simply pointing out that those 2 have been and are better coaches, yet we aren't even mentioned them.

I can name 15 guys right now that are better options and realistic options.

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
    2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
    3. Chris Pollard - Duke
    4. John Szefc - Va Tech
    5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
    6. Justin Haire - Campbell
    7. Mark Calvi - USA
    8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
    9. Butch Thompson - Auburn
    10. Monte Lee - uSC hitting coach
    11. Casey Dunn - UAB
    12. Robert Woodard - Charlotte
    13. Matt Deggs - ULL
    14. Todd Interdonato - Wofford
    15. Mark Wasikowski - Oregon

You could make arguments against some. But that list is virtually better than Burroughs.
    I wouldn't put any of those lesser names ahead of him. La Tech is a dying athletics dept now that they're stuck in a terrible conference. He will do more with less. Many of those we aren't interest in and some aren't interested in us. There's a fit issue with several of those guys. Not that they're bad coaches. You can mark off Heefner and Butch and Calvi right off the bat. Interdonato, Dunn, Lee as well. Lee was an awful head coach by the way.
    We're going to pull better than that list or mine I believe.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 03-20-2023 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I wouldn't put any of those lesser names ahead of him. La Tech is a dying athletics dept now that they're stuck in a terrible conference. He will do more with less. Many of those we aren't interest in and some aren't interested in us. There's a fit issue with several of those guys. Not that they're bad coaches. You can mark off Heefner and Butch and Calvi right off the bat. Interdonato, Dunn, Lee as well. Lee was an awful head coach by the way.
    We're going to pull better than that list or mine I believe.
    The guy with a 518 - 281 record isn't a bad coach. Lee had 1 bad season and the season he got fired they had a rash of injuries about halfway through the season and despite that, they still went 35-23 and 13-16 in conference. He's been to 7 regionals and a Super Regional. His best team was the covid year and it got shut down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    The guy with a 518 - 281 record isn't a bad coach. Lee had 1 bad season and the season he got fired they had a rash of injuries about halfway through the season and despite that, they still went 35-23 and 13-16 in conference. He's been to 7 regionals and a Super Regional. His best team was the covid year and it got shut down.
    He wasn't as good as the previous coaches. He got fired. He's a good assistant/hitting coach. We aren't hiring a guy that got fired last HC job.
    I think we'll go for a few name guys and if that doesn't work, it's likely Lane or an assistant from a top program. I could see one Sunbelt coach in it. One or two G5 guys.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 03-21-2023 at 09:52 AM.