Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Spend Least Amount on Recruiting in the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    FY18-FY20 was mostly the JoMo era.
    JoMo barely recruited outside MS - it doesn't cost much to recruit when 2/3 of your recruits are in-state, and 89% are within MS/AL/LA/West TN (18, 19 & 20 classes).
    Not defending being last by any means - it just makes sense when you look at where we were recruiting during that time period.
    Maybe we can't recruit much outside of that because of the budget.

vCash
    I've often wondered why we dont try to recruit linemen out of the Midwest. Milder climate. Still has hunting access. Prettier women in the South. Lots to offer. If you look at Kentucky- Stoops has solidified them by recruiting very well in the trenches.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Maybe we can't recruit much outside of that because of the budget.
    Maybe, but Leach currently has 23 OOS commits and 17 MS commits between the '21 & '22 classes. He is not much outside our normal footprint but has hit Texas and Florida more for sure.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    No matter the topic or area, when State fans find out how much we spend, we get all mad and blame the administration, and claim we need to spend more. Our fans think we should spend more on everything as though all it takes is making the decision to do it.

Our revenues are at the bottom of the conference; of course that means we will also spend less than anyone else. It's not the administration's fault, we just don't have the money to spend a ton on anything. And if we do, we will definitely be hurting everywhere else.

When you look at our revenues and budget, we should all be singing the administration's praises with our relative success across the athletic department.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree, Coach34. I?ve wondered the same. Surely some of these corn fed boys would like to get out of the snow and play in the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I agree, Coach34. I?ve wondered the same. Surely some of these corn fed boys would like to get out of the snow and play in the SEC
    and only 5 hours from the beach
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Arkansas is getting fleeced!
    Arkansas also has the highest nutritional program/student-athlete food budget in the SEC. Seems like a lot of money for recruiting mid-20's most years but guess that's what you have to do in such a small state without many players. Nebraska is similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No matter the topic or area, when State fans find out how much we spend, we get all mad and blame the administration, and claim we need to spend more. Our fans think we should spend more on everything as though all it takes is making the decision to do it.

Our revenues are at the bottom of the conference; of course that means we will also spend less than anyone else. It's not the administration's fault, we just don't have the money to spend a ton on anything. And if we do, we will definitely be hurting everywhere else.

When you look at our revenues and budget, we should all be singing the administration's praises with our relative success across the athletic department.
    I thought we operated in the black? When most dont? If it takes us to blood a little on the books I take it. Not trying to take away from your point, because I think it is valid, but, if we spend a little more than save im all for it. This isn't a get a return on invest in an IRA thing this is a get a return on the field thing. And if we are putting more into our pockets than on the field than we need to change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I've often wondered why we dont try to recruit linemen out of the Midwest. Milder climate. Still has hunting access. Prettier women in the South. Lots to offer. If you look at Kentucky- Stoops has solidified them by recruiting very well in the trenches.
    ^^^^Bingo^^^^ get OL from Midwest(Garry Frank) We also way under recruit Georgia? a lot of teams from the Midwest come to Georgia to get Players. Georgia puts out around 150-200 legit D1 players each year while Mississippi puts out around 20-25. We used to have a pretty good pipeline out of Georgia, but don?t know what happened to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

We can't even come close to selling out a game against a top 15 opponent at night with great weather when we have a winning record and are only a 1.5 point underdog. Collectively as a fan base we don't really care.

vCash
    Which is what will happen to us if our budget is increased.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Is this a thread from last year? It sure seems like it.

vCash
    If you want to compare wins to recruiting budget, I?d say we are getting a good bang for our buck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Didn't the Fat Guy with the hot blonde wife try that at Arkansas?

vCash
    del
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 10-26-2021 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Didn't the Fat Guy with the hot blonde wife try that at Arkansas?
    He got 4* linemen from as far away as Colorado, Minnesota, Hawaii and Florida before Pittman left as OL coach and everything kinda fell apart from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    If you are gonna rip off my post on another board at least link the article.

Here is the article for anyone that cares: https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/ar...ruiting-costs/

We are at $435,224.

Wazzu is at $503,936

Ole Miss is at $669,364

Mizzou is at $852,024

South Carolina is at $931,666

Auburn is at $955,898

Kentucky is at $1,035,217

Florida is at $1,271,821

LSU is at $1,607,148

Texas A&M is at $1,673,204

Arkansas is at $1,931,026

Tennessee is at $2,247,289

Alabama is at $2,663,467

Georgia is at $3,676,858.
    Ha ha this stuff has been discussed on this board over the years multiple times, this article has come out just about every other year. That is why I think some of the expectation on here is absurd. Look at anything in life and you typically get out of it what you put into it.

Our fans want champagne results on a keystone 30 rack budget. Until we start throwing legitimate money at the problem we will continue to recruit at the level that we are. You can blame it on the coaches all that you want but $$ talks. It is about to get significantly worse with the NIL deals. It's not surprising that regardless of who is coaching here we tend to recruit at the same level.

And I'm not throwing stones at our big boosters. They are contributing a good bit. It is the rest of the fanbase that needs to up donations if they want to compete for championships on a consistent basis, otherwise quit complaining.

Want better coaches, donate more
    Want better recruiting, donate more
    Want better records, donate more

vCash
    Our athletic budget is at the bottom of the SEC, why would we expect recruiting or any other part of the budget to be any different?

vCash
    Everyone here bitching about our budget ante up. If you're not in the BDC, consider joining. It's $100/year.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    If you want to compare wins to recruiting budget, I'd say we are getting a good bang for our buck.
    And you would be correct, sir...

Team COST/W
    MSU $134,328
    Auburn $197,500

Missouri $248,259
    Florida $249,965
    Kentucky $271,853
    Mississippi $285,565
    USC $287,551
    LSU $287,813

Texas A&M $342,870
    Alabama $356,078