Thread: CFB monopoly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Decreasing the scholarship limit is definitely the first place to start. I'd go a step further though and go from 85 to 70. There has to be parity and when you let Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA hoard all the talent then you'll never get any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Decreasing the scholarship limit is definitely the first place to start. I'd go a step further though and go from 85 to 70. There has to be parity and when you let Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA hoard all the talent then you'll never get any.
    Alabama has way too many 5 stars riding the pine.

vCash
    I'd drop the limit to 65, maybe even 60. If the NFL can make it with a 54 man roster, I don't know why colleges couldn't make it with 65. You're realistically only playing about 30-35 players regularly on a weekly basis, barring injury. But I think we can all agree that the current 85 scholarship rule is absurd and way too many.

Side note: How ironic would it be that the dominance of Bama (and to a lesser degree Northern Miss in the 50s) that led to the original imposition of the current scholarships limit could result in the limit being lowered again?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'd drop the limit to 65, maybe even 60. If the NFL can make it with a 54 man roster, I don't know why colleges couldn't make it with 65. You're realistically only playing about 30-35 players regularly on a weekly basis, barring injury. But I think we can all agree that the current 85 scholarship rule is absurd and way too many.

Side note: How ironic would it be that the dominance of Bama (and to a lesser degree Northern Miss in the 50s) that led to the original imposition of the current scholarships limit could result in the limit being lowered again?
    Not sure it would be practical to go much below 70. NFL may have a 54 man roster but they can sign free agents or call up players from their practice squad if a player is lost due to injury during the season. Colleges only have the players they have when they start the season. Plus nobody in the NFL on a roster is 'redshirting' and everyone is expected to contribute in some way which a lot of guys straight out of HS on a college roster are not. But there is no argument to be had that 85 is way too many and constitutes a glut that allows a program like Alabama to oversign and then process out players that don't measure up to Saban's standard.