Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern miss baseball

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-07-2022 at 06:18 AM.

vCash
    If they get Tanner Hall and Hurston Waldrep back next year then they should be a National Seed. Jay Johnson said Dollander from TN and Waldrep were "easily" the best two pitchers they faced all year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Talk about prisoner of the moment.

1. We should stop recruiting players that are younger than juniors? We just went to five straight Super Regionals, won the SEC once, went to Omaha three years in a row and won a National Championship with players that we recruited from 8th grade on up. But one bad year from us where our pitching was decimated by injuries and we should start following USM's blueprint? LOL. Where were our fans who thought the USM way was the way for us to go the past few years? Probably sitting watching us play in Omaha while USM was at home waiting for their players to develop into upperclassmen after they got bounced from a regional. Oh by the way USM does recruit players that are younger than juniors. In fact we flipped one of them and he was their highest rated recruit in years.

2. They're in a somewhat precarious position with the portal. Meaning in the past if we misevaluated a player we couldn't come back and get Brian Dozier for his junior year. That's not the case anymore- and in fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up getting a pitcher or two from them. That's going to be an issue for them going forward.

3. Ole Miss is in an awkward position with Bianco no matter what happens. There is a good chance they are looking for a new coach soon. If he gets them to Omaha he could probably stay another two years if he wanted to.

4. Our next three recruiting classes are ranked in the top 8. We'll be fine. But next year is going to be based on how well we do in the portal. Lemonis knows this. They also know that one more year like this and we're looking for a new pitching and hitting coach. They're essentially coaching for their jobs and we will be a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Unlike this year. I'm expecting us to be a completely different team next year. Unless we completely flame out on the portal which I doubt we will.
    Good post Todd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    If they get Tanner Hall and Hurston Waldrep back next year then they should be a National Seed. Jay Johnson said Dollander from TN and Waldrep were "easily" the best two pitchers they faced all year.
    That's assuming:

1. They don't leave via the portal.

2. USM doesn't take a step back from being patted on the back.

3. And as we saw this year- stay healthy.

Odds are high one of those things happen and pretty high that two of the three happen.

vCash
    They returned a lot of position guys from last year but keep in mind that USM had to replace their entire rotation and their best reliever from a year ago. Hall and Waldrep were sophomores that took a big step forward. Their Sunday guy, Riggins, is also good and they brought him in as a grad transfer from Delta State.

Berry is a really underrated coach. They took a bit of a step back in the mid 2010?s but have been no worse than a 2 seed every year since 2016 and hosted twice. Now have a legit chance to get to Omaha. USM is easy to poke fun at sometimes but they?re a very respectable baseball program.

vCash
    Ostrander is a good coach. He's improved their pitching a ton since arriving. He was good at the Juco level too. I wish we had offered a couple pitchers they signed this round.
    USM has had some solid assistant coaches.

vCash
    What is Berry's salary? How much money does his assistants make? How much does Lemonins make? How much does Geautreaux and Foxhall make?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I agree. Berry has a good program down in Hattiesburg.
    And they are the only thing between Ole Miss and Omaha so I'm a huge Golden Eagle fan next weekend.
    Yeah. we can't stand prosperity. Win the National Championship and then can't even make the SEC tourney the next year. Lemonis has his work cut for him ahead fixing this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Good post Todd.
    Yes but completely missed the point of the post. It's about what they've done right and how they evaluate talent. With a quarter our budget, etc they consistently get the most of their players and find diamond in the ruff much like Mullen did. This wasn't a post to talk crap about our staff/players

vCash
    Aka props to them. Let's keep doing what we're doing right and pick up what they are that we aren't-- even if that's stealing a coach or player now that the restrictions are changed/ changing with baseball

vCash
    They've made two supers EVER. One CWS EVER. It's been 13 yrs since they won a regional. They're getting about what a lot of teams get out of a low budget and bad conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They've made two supers EVER. One CWS EVER. It's been 13 yrs since they won a regional. They're getting about what a lot of teams get out of a low budget and bad conference.
    If you think they haven't been competitive the last few years then you haven't been paying attention

vCash
    More salt to the wound, USM vs. OM for Omaha & we couldn't even make Hoover after a National Championship! Oh well, here's to a very good year in FB. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Yes but completely missed the point of the post. It's about what they've done right and how they evaluate talent. With a quarter our budget, etc they consistently get the most of their players and find diamond in the ruff much like Mullen did. This wasn't a post to talk crap about our staff/players
    My point is it's apple and oranges because you're comparing a SEC blueblood program to a good mid major program. It would be like Alabama having a ton of injuries including to their top two QB's and RB's and going 5-7 a year after winning the National Championship while UAB goes 11-1 and crashes one of the BCS bowls and asking what UAB is doing better than Alabama.

Both teams build their teams differently. What you are seeing is USM having a lot of veteran players performing well at their peak after a few years of development. Some of them are COVID sophomores. USM has to take players that are under the radar and develop them to succeed. That works fine in the Sun Belt. In the SEC that's going to look like our 2011 team. And sure, doing that they can compete with SEC teams 5-6 times a year especially with saavy scheduling- I believe they pitched their ace during our midweek game. But over the long haul their style wouldn't work at the level we expect over 30 games.

I don't think our "problem" is evaluating talent as much as it was pitchers staying healthy. Remember every player that USM was not only passed on by MSU- but also by Ole Miss and every other SEC team too.

vCash
    This is usm'a shot. They been building for this year. They're gonna lose a lot off this team so this is their shot to see how far they can go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Ostrander is a good coach. He's improved their pitching a ton since arriving. He was good at the Juco level too. I wish we had offered a couple pitchers they signed this round.
    USM has had some solid assistant coaches.
    That's another thing too. Their assistants are going to get opportunities to either be head coaches or coach in the SEC. Creel may stay since he's an alum unless it's a head coaching job. Ostrander used to be the pitching coach at Alabama. He's SEC caliber for sure. Would absolutely trade him for Foxhall right now without any shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is usm'a shot. They been building for this year. They're gonna lose a lot off this team so this is their shot to see how far they can go.
    Yep. And that's the difference I'm talking about. When they're just going to regionals as a three seed or whatever no one on this board is saying we should look at what they're doing or however they want to phrase it. This team will be unique for them too because it's right at the beginning of the portal/NIL era and I think they're going to have to adjust their model. Those two starting pitchers that they have that are sophomores could very easily be pitching in the SEC for someone next year. We certainly could get Storm from them if we want to. Montenegro is their version of Tanner Allen and he's a senior. It's going to be a lot harder for them to build a team going forward like this. They're going to likely have to rely on transfers from SEC schools like Luke Reynolds. And then the Sun Belt scholarship situation is an unknown as well. If they only have 25 scholarships to use and MSU/Ole Miss have 30 that could be a disadvantage as well. We'll see.

vCash
    Ostrander is why they are making this run. He is one hell of a developer of arms. USM needs to beat Ole Miss and capitalize on this run, because I don't see any chance of Ostrander not being hired away this offseason. Hell, I wish we had him...dude can coach. And I'm not even on the fire Foxhall wagon...I just think Ostrander is THAT good of a coach. Kudos to Berry for making the Ostrander hire, which in my opinion is what has taken them from the typical USM that is slightly above average, and elevated them to a Top 15-20 team this year.

vCash
    Whoever wins the first game I think wins. Buzzards have the advantage especially with their Ace on the mound. But Ole Dixie is pretty hot to say the least, all bout clutch hitting I say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Ostrander is why they are making this run. He is one hell of a developer of arms. USM needs to beat Ole Miss and capitalize on this run, because I don't see any chance of Ostrander not being hired away this offseason. Hell, I wish we had him...dude can coach. And I'm not even on the fire Foxhall wagon...I just think Ostrander is THAT good of a coach. Kudos to Berry for making the Ostrander hire, which in my opinion is what has taken them from the typical USM that is slightly above average, and elevated them to a Top 15-20 team this year.
    I agree. And as I said Ostrander has coached at Alabama so he is SEC caliber. He has been successful everywhere going back to Delta State. For them to sustain their success they are going to have to be able to absorb losing their assistants at some point because they're not going to be able to keep them if they keep going to Super Regionals and maybe Omaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Whoever wins the first game I think wins. Buzzards have the advantage especially with their Ace on the mound. But Ole Dixie is pretty hot to say the least, all bout clutch hitting I say.
    I wonder if USM goes with Hall on 4 days rest or Waldrep/Riggins on Saturday?