Page 143 of 274 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Care to discuss why deaths are over reported by hospitals

?Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate. Why? Because if it?s a straightforward, garden-variety pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for ? if they?re Medicare ? typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000,? he added on April 19. ?But if it?s COVID-19 pneumonia, then it?s $13,000, and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000.?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Just my opinion now but I think there is still a lot not known and I think the goverment is assuming the worse case scenario and acting based on that. I think it is really contagious but I don't believe it is as deadly as they are making it out to be. I think it has been in the United State a lot longer than we know and it is more widespread than we know. We can thank the W.H.O and China for that. If we knew all that really went on in China we would probably be way more ahead than we are now. But personally I don't think it is as deadly that they are assuming. I just think isolate and go back to work. I am not piss at the goverment they are acting on info they were giving but i think in hindsight in a few years we will look back and say the complete shut down was a mistake.
    The death rate is likely something like 0.5-0.7%, which is lower than initially feared, though pretty much in line with estimates pretty early on. The issue is, that rate is 5+ times higher than a normal flu and it is a good bit more contagious than a normal flu. Add that to the fact that no one has immunity and we don't really know how to treat it, and it's a big deal.

The question is not whether or not COVID-19 is bad; it is. The question is, what is the right mix of safety and saving lives vs. keeping things running enough that the economy doesn't completely tank and can recover quickly. I don't believe the answer is, 'Shut everything down, we have to save as many lives as possible from this virus.' I also don't believe the answer is, 'Get back to normal and let it run its course.' I think there are ways to slow this thing down while being smart. I think some places and people are going too far in the direction of shutting things down, and I think many are too complacent and ready to ramp everything back to normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post

?Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate. Why? Because if it?s a straightforward, garden-variety pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for ? if they?re Medicare ? typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000,? he added on April 19. ?But if it?s COVID-19 pneumonia, then it?s $13,000, and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000.?
    Do we know it's being over reported, though? Where did you get what you posted?

If that's true, there's definitely an incentive there, and that's an issue. But do we actually know these deaths are being over-reported?

vCash

Can you give us an example of a hospital that has falsely reported a COVID death? That is Medicare fraud and should be reported.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Can you give us an example of a hospital that has falsely reported a COVID death? That is Medicare fraud and should be reported.
    This article says there are currently no public reports of hospitals but doing so. One could make the argument that is too early for any investigation of fraud to take place, but who knows if there will be any such investigations.

But what is factual, and also in the article, is that CA, for example, is claiming only lab confirmed covid 19 deaths. NY, conversely, is claiming as covid 19 deaths all presumed, non-confirmed cases, even absent a lab test. That, amazingly, is allowed under the CARES act and will result in millions of more federal dollars for NY than other states like CA.

So, it is not Medicare fraud bc the CARES act allows you to report deaths as "plausible" covid deaths and be reimbursed at a much higher rate even without the deceased having a test for covid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/3000638001

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    This article says there are currently no public reports of hospitals but doing so. One could make the argument that is too early for any investigation of fraud to take place, but who knows if there will be any such investigations.

But what is factual, and also in the article, is that CA, for example, is claiming only lab confirmed covid 19 deaths. NY, conversely, is claiming as covid 19 deaths all presumed, non-confirmed cases, even absent a lab test. That, amazingly, is allowed under the CARES act and will result in millions of more federal dollars for NY than other states like CA.

So, it is not Medicare fraud bc the CARES act allows you to report deaths as "plausible" covid deaths and be reimbursed at a much higher rate even without the deceased having a test for covid.

This!!

It's why these numbers are inflated in NY/NJ. And take away those numbers form the total death toll then we can get see what a clearer picture the entire US is. Also I'd challenge the numbers from MI and LA as well

vCash

So how is the hospital claiming the deaths as COVID? How does the government decide which deaths to claim as COVID? What is the criterion?

vCash

deaths overreported, lol

this is deaths of all causes by the way.

vCash
    New York has done a horrible job of handling this. Total mismanagement from the beginning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    since you can't use a vet test on a human how so?
    They weren't at a vet. They were testing the dog with the humans at a test facility. Beyond that, I have no clue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They weren't at a vet. They were testing the dog with the humans at a test facility. Beyond that, I have no clue.
    And yet, I never got a call back to take the test. But they sure were in a hurry to schedule me for an antibody test.

vCash
    I like the scare tactics some places in MS are using to avoid opening to even the state standards. One county I saw was proclaiming they had 60+ active cases and 4 deaths. Well, that was a damn lie. They had less than half that many active cases and of those half were in a nursing home. They literally had 14 active cases in the county outside the home. The county has over 20,000 people. Yet, they are going full lockdown. This is why MS is so damn backwards. The spokesperson barely spoke decent English. Oh, and yes, a dry county, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    And yet, I never got a call back to take the test. But they sure were in a hurry to schedule me for an antibody test.
    Exactly! You should tell them to pay you for it.

vCash
    UMC was expecting their peak to be last week. The number of cases have reached new highs for them over the last 48 hours.
    Far Moorhead yaw

vCash

Actual deaths from it are probably underreported. The current estimate is around 10k.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    UMC was expecting their peak to be last week. The number of cases have reached new highs for them over the last 48 hours.
    Yep, It's not just there. Some of the opening up in my field in Mississippi has now been pushed back. It looks like Germany is about to re-impose some of their restrictions. They loosed up a week ago and now look to have a surge on their hands. The reason things have not been as bad as feared so far is what we have been doing.

vCash
    The clinic my friend works at stopped testing for the flu back in February. If you come in with flu like systems you are coded as Covid-19 and sent home to quarantine. If you have a high enough fever they will test you. They haven't submitted flu stats to the state since Feb 8th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    So how is the hospital claiming the deaths as COVID? How does the government decide which deaths to claim as COVID? What is the criterion?
    Symptoms they were showing combined with their medical history, per this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...eaths.amp.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I work at another hospital in the Jackson area, and we're experiencing the same thing. We opened back up for elective surgery, but we don't have the bed capacity to do too many.

vCash
    Symptoms they were showing combined with their medical history, per this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...eaths.amp.html
    Thank you. Will read when I get the chance.